• Published 29th May 2017
  • 1,532 Views, 23 Comments

The Equestrian Gourmet - Gamel_Lightshow



Awake in a world unknown to him, Richard Caldway must find a way to live in harmony with the creatures around him as a evil grows closer. With powers he never knew he had, he goes forth onto the land cooking a meal that others will never forget.

  • ...
9
 23
 1,532

The rise of the Cook

A Caucasian man waves his final goodbyes to the company he had just finished eating with. They watch him from their porch of their two-story home surrounded by trees and summer like decorations of suns and tropical trees. Chimes dingle and dangle their song in the soft cold breeze of a Summer's night. Today has been spent driving about to different locations visiting friends, family, and co-workers with this stop being the last of them. Tha man's friend, known as Handel, had just been recently married to a girl the two had considered way out of their league. Due to missing out on the wedding due to work, Handel's friend saw fit to help make a feast with his wife in order to make up for missing it and not visiting sooner.

The cooking went without a hitch and soon the three were chowing down on cuisine made with what's around the kitchen. After almost an hour of eating and talking, Handle's wife Elora brings up needing to work the weight off tonight along with some other hints that it's time for the visitor to leave.

While walking from their porch the visitor was greeted by the enchanting sound of chimes blowing in the cool summer's night breeze. The enchanting sound speaks of a better time and moments of relaxation and greatness that awaits ahead. A smile plays on his face as he looks down at the white bag of leftovers he's bringing home for himself for later tomorrow.

Back to the present, his keys fire the car to life without even a single stutter. He sighs and shakes his head placing the white bag of leftovers in the passenger seat thinking of when he'll go for his next meal after all he ate.

"God I ate too much." He says leaning back in his seat a bit rubbing his starting to ache stomach.

A quick flick into drive and the press of the gas brings the man back down the dirt road that had brought him to Handel's home. A short drive brings him to the open road with the moon peeking above the distant horizon. He realizes only now that he has been there longer than he had planned, but at least the pie was divine enough to make him not regret it. His vision has lessened through the years, but he wasn't going to let the dark deter him away from driving himself home to his sweet sweet most likely unmade bed.

"Alright, Betsy lets get a move on." He says bringing his car to a smooth fifty-five while turning his phone back on and turning on some of his music.

Some jazz begins to play out the speakers making his head bob with the beat of the song. Two hours of driving and music brings him home to his one story house and porch welcoming him home with no lights or sounds. Out front in his yard in nothing more than a sign that says private property. He parks his car beside the house and quickly hops out yawning and feeling stiff from the AC and the drive.

"I'm gonna regret eating all that... Oh well, at least it was good. Though I guess that's a little self-centered of me." He says chuckling making sure to grab his wallet, keys, and leftovers from the car before moving towards the front door of his home.

He begins to remember helping his friend's wife cooking in the kitchen. All the fun of doing spices, salt, and wrapping to make sure everything is cooked to perfection. Oh yes, Summer is going to be amazing with all the new ideas roaming around in his head of different tastes being mixed together to create either something horrific or passable. After all, one can't have too much confident in their cooking ability.

He pushes the door open and runs a hand through his hazelnut colored hair while taking in the foreign yet familiar look of his home. He's never been too materialistic, but he had become a hoarder of certain things over the ages. There are a lot of things he doesn't wanna let go of due to the memories they hold. And probably do to the fact his mother was somewhat of a hoarder as well always reminding him to hold on to the things that are dearest to him.

Of course, his place isn't cluttered. Nor could it be considered cramped by people. It certainly isn't clean, but it feels cozy to him as he moves to close the door and lock it behind him. Of course, he couldn't see everything with the lights off, but with what he could see in the dark was enough to let him know that summer fun would have to hold off until he cleans some of this stuff up.

He makes his way semi-blindly to his room just off the kitchen and onto his bed too tired to be bothered with changing. Today had been a great day and tomorrow may be even greater with now being home. Of course, that is if nothing bad happens to him while asleep. After all, the good lord could take him at any moment. To him though it just more religious monotony that has been drilled into his head over the years.

"I'm sure if the Lord wanted to kill me he would've by now." He mumbles to himself bring his pillow more under his head forgetting his sheets.

He soon nods off into a dreamless sleep.


Elsewhere more than lightyears away from the world we've come to know as Earth is the world unlike ours known simply as Equestria Prime where a midnight blue horse with billowing mane and tail filled with the starry night sky that shines just above it stands in what looks to be a semi-maintained graveyard filled with many statues and epitaphs. Each one depicting hero or villain, powers, and what their end status was. Each died fighting some grand villain before winding up here deep underground forgotten to time and history. Only so few remember them and they are never taught to the youth in fear that one may one day try to bring back such a grand evil in an attempt to usurp the throne away from those currently in control.

"Lulu?" A pristine white horse with a clear and majestic feminine voice speaks out slowly entering the graveyard all while approaching the midnight blue horse now known as Lulu, "I thought we promised to never come here again."

Both horses share some of the same attributes. Both have billowing manes and tails where one is the night sky and the other a faded rainbow. Both have horns protruding long and proudly from their slender foreheads and wings placed softly along their back folded close to their bodies. Both hold a regal air about themselves and almost seem well informed on everything that has ever been and will ever be.

"I couldn't help myself. I found myself coming here unconsciously. We've lost so many friends through the years Celly. It still troubles my heart with how many have died both physically and mentally. I look up at my sky and still see the stars they have named and helped me paint into pictures. Our little ponies still pride me on the creation of such art. I don't deserve such credit."

Celly moves forward and wraps a forehoof around Lulu bringing her closer to her before nuzzling her softly with her muzzle as tears begin to leak down Lulu's face. The years have been hard on the two. Year after year they have to live through history knowing what decisions brought them here and always remembering what others have forgotten. History has been rewritten over and over again as new generations come forth while the last of the first generation rules.

Its painful. More than painful. There are no words to explain such a feeling of guilt, sadness, and pain. Knowing that you will live while others die. Whether it be heroic or not. Every death is a loss greater than the next.

They spend the next few moments in silence before their silence is soon broken by the sound of shifting dirt. Lulu's eyes snap open and stare at one of the graves far in the middle of all the other graves. The one belonging to the legendary cook of the adventures. He was neither good or evil and simply sought to feed everyone good or not. He traveled far across Equestria and the Bad Lands acquiring recipe after recipe.

"Celly... Its... Is it?" Lulu says unmoving as Celly moves forward through the graves towards the one shifting one.

"No Luna. Everything here should be dead. There is no way that a human could live underground without air, food, and water for so long." Celly says her horn starting to glow a bright yellow like that of a lightbulb or the sun.

The glow warms the area around her horn and her body as power begins to emanate from her. Her head tilts down allowing her horn to point straight at the once undisturbed grave. Lulu holds her breaths watching the grave with wide eyes.

From the grave, a hand followed by its arm shoots forth. Skin intact, not bones, and no signs of wear and tear except for the dirt now clinging to some parts. Soon to follow is a head gasping for air and brown hair attached to it. The creature is faced towards the epitaph and has no knowledge of the horse preparing herself to fire a spell at the person rising from the grave. Soon the opposite arm rises from the grave as he coughs, wheeze, and gulp down breath greedily.

"Holy fuck!" He yells catching both the horses by surprise.

Celly's horn raises and the glow slowly disappears as she watches the creature with interest.

The person in question has hazelnut brown hair and white skin. Unlike the person that was once buried there. He looks up at the epitaph above him and his breathing slows down before stopping. He looks at the other graves but never behind him.

"Wait... wait wait wait wait. No. No." He begins to chuckle and shaking his head, "It's a dream! I just went to bed! Of course! There's no other reason for it honestly. Haha. Brain, you almost got me on that one there!"

The man slowly but surely pulls himself from the grave before starting to dust his clothes off. Jeans of blue and a solid gray t-shirt are what he wears. He walks forward and rubs some of the dirt and cobwebs from the epitaph in front of him.

"Richard Caldway. Cook. Yea. Funny." The man says shaking his head and turning around to face the two horses that had been watching him since her rise from the grave.

Silence returns and even the breeze seems to stop its soft whoosh. Eyes lock between the white horse and the man. A moment passes that feels like minutes before Celly rises to her full height.

"Welcome back. Richard. We had assumed you dead after such a long time." She says with eloquence without a single hint of emotion in her voice. As if it been practiced over and over again.

The man says nothing as he walks slowly towards the horse that rises higher than his five foot six self. His hand slowly raises towards her making her horn light up with brilliance along with his body.

"I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to refrain moving forward more. After all, being dead for so long can change a person."

"Yea. Dead. Me? No. I'm pretty sure that you're nothing more than a dream horse of something I watched today and my brain is just processing all that I've been through. This is all just... symbolic. Yea! That has to be it!" The man says a smile playing on to his face, "Me rising from the grave indicates how I've been working so hard I've been dead to my friends. So now that I'm back, I'm out of my grave and back on the surface to reconnect with them."

"Celestia. I fear for his mind. He doesn't seem to recognize us," Lulu says walking closer to the man, "But perhaps we could convince him this is not a dream."

"Okay, Luna," Celestia says her horn's glow dissipating and the glow around the man disappearing alongside it.

With the man released his arms drops beside him as he stands there watching the two horses. He wants to call them unicorn's for their horns, but they have wings also. The wings would make them a pegasus, but the horn says otherwise. So what are they?

"Are... Are you Richard?" Luna asks coming closer to him.

"Yea? I mean wouldn't you already know that? You're just the creations of my mind."

"But you're not asleep. I am Luna. I control dreams and am the mover of the night. I and my sister rule Equestria controlled by pony kind."

"Okay? Let's say if I believe you. Explain how I'm here." The man says crossing his arms.

"I... I do not know. I and my sister will have to look further into this. If you'll allow us, we would like to take you with us to Canterlot in order to keep an eye on you and make sure you're safe from harm. After all, you have died once and it would be a shame for you to die again after such a short time. Equestria is no longer a purely safe world that you may or may not remember. For it seems you don't remember Celestia and me."

"Yeaaaaa right. Equestria. You know, when I wake up I'll make sure to write all of this down and try to pass it off as a story idea. It's one hell of an opener." He says chuckling and shaking his head, "I just don't know how my brain made this feel all so... real."

"For you're not asleep," Luna says walking to be beside the man.

"Yea well I'm certainly not Jesus. I can't come back from the dead."

Celestia sighs and looks towards Luna, "Sister. He is confused and needs to rest longer. I shall bring us back to the castle. From there we'll have a room prepared for him. He'll understand when tomorrow comes."

"If you mean why I'm having such a vivid dream, I would hope so. So how are we supposed to get back to this castle of yours? Should I get on one of your backs or?"

Celestia says nothing as her horn begins to glow once again. It covers herself, Richard, and Luna before a bright light blinds all those that may be watching the scene as well as those who are part of the scene. Silence returns to the graveyard again as the wind begins to blow is cool summer breeze.


A room filled with tapestries and two thrones fill with blinding light blinding all who were not prepared for the sudden appearance of Celestia, Luna, and Richard. Richard falls to his knees throwing up hard after seeing such brilliant and rapid colors and having his stomach lurched harder than its ever been lurched before. Luna lays a wing across his back in sympathy.

"I suppose it would have been better for you if we had prepared you for the sudden travel."

"Oh god, it hurts so much!" Richard yells before dry heaving hard his back lurching up and his head flinging down, "Why does it hurt so much! I thought you weren't supposed to feel pain in dreams!"

"Then I suppose you've learned it's not a dream the hard way. " Celestia says chuckling lightly making her way towards the giant set of doors across from the thrones.

"Fu-" Heaves of pain break his shout as Luna's horn ignites.

"Here. Hopefully, my magic will be able to soothe some of your pains." She says her horn glowing a faint blue that soon surrounds Richard's body.

Richard shivers as the cold touch of Luna's magic starts to go to work on his body. He feels his stomach pains lessen and soon finds himself able to keep his head up without nausea taking over.

"At least warn a guy if you're going to pull some shit like that," Richard says using Luna's body to help himself up to his feet.

"Yes, sorry. I forgot you probably wouldn't be accustomed to equestrian magic anymore. Though I do hope that will change as time goes by in order to better prepare you for the world before you." Celestia says walking into the hallway and waiting for the two others lagging behind now.

"Yea... Right. So say I believe you now. What does this mean for me? I'm sure this isn't something that happens every day for you guys. Somebody comeing back from the grave. Even where I'm from they would put me down with out a second thought."

Luna chuckles half-heartedly and Celestia sighs with a grimace.

"That...That doesn't sound good. Nor does it sound right. The dead should stay dead." Richard moving fast towards Celestia not being to keen of having this sort of situation being made fun of.

"Yes. I agree with you, but the past seems to always rear its head up in familiar or new forms here." Celestia says shaking her head.

"My sister and I have lived for eons on end. We are still young in our species life span but old to the ones that know us. We grow at a slower rate, but grow old none-the-less." Luna says looking at all the different elaborate stained glass windows above and beside them.

"Okay. I... I just wanna. No. I'm gonna go lay down. Because. No. Just no. I will not and cannot accept this. I'm sure when I lay donw, I'll wake up." Richard says as Luna opens a room further down in the hallway revealing a bed, dresser, and desk complete with chair.

"Well do rest Richard. You will need it. Tomorrow will be a busy day." Celestia says as he walks into his new room.

"I hope not. I'm still betting I'll wake up in my bed safe and sound away from all this... mess." Richard says walking into the room and sitting on the bed.

"If not, we will see you in the morning. Good night, Richard." Luna says closing the door.

The sound of hooves grows distant as Richard looks at his hand. They're still covered in some dirt, but not as bad as when he first climbed out of the earth. He gets up and begins to look around for any signs of it being a prank. Cameras, bad pro designs, anything. Upon finding nothing he begins to examine the room.

There's another door on the oposite side of the door leading out into the hallway. There aren't any paintings other than the picture on the window. It looks to be horses surronding some darkness. A rainbow illuminates the entire group, but other than that it just looks like a bunch of mess to him. He shrugs it off and walks into the next room.

Inside he sees a giant bath. Most likely because these creatures are horses more than anything. Beside the bath is a shower, sink, and toilet. He's pretty suprised to see working plumbing, but being sentient as they are he suppose that basic plumbing would eventually come along at some point.

He proceeds to draw water and think overthing he's just witnessed. he sighs and disrobes to nothing before climbing into the oversized tub. He finds himself relaxing in the warm draw of water letting his head lay back and stare at the faraway ceiling.

"This isn't how I thought I would be spending my summer vacation you know." He says to no one.

He claps his hands together and closes his eyes.

"Our lord..."