• Published 11th Jul 2012
  • 9,399 Views, 730 Comments

A Tale of Two Mares - CharmingChaos



Octavia and Vinyl Scratch start a life - and a family - together, much to Octavia's mother's disgu

  • ...
32
 730
 9,399

Happy Anniversary

Octavia lay behind Vinyl on their bed, her front hooves resting lightly on Vinyl's swollen abdomen. Now that she was six months into the pregnancy, the bump was quite obvious from any angle-- sometimes Vinyl even swore she felt the foal kicking it's tiny hooves against her skin, though Octavia was unsure about whether this was really true.

Octavia had always expected that, if they ever did decide to have a foal, it would be she who carried it. They both thought that. Vinyl just seemed so... coltish... that Octavia had simply taken it for granted that she would stand as the father, if that was possible.

True, Vinyl had grumbled most of the time when Octavia had dragged her from store to store shopping for foal clothes-- only non-gender specific ones for now-- but she did have her feminine side.

Octavia kissed Vinyl's neck softly, then rolled over to turn off the bedside light.

"Goodnight Sweetheart," whispered. Then,Octavia rolled back over to pat Vinyl's stomach. "Goodnight, other sweetheart."

"Octy?" Vinyl's voice floated back through the darkness in their bedroom.

"What is it, darling?" She answered sleepily, yawning as she opened her eyes again. A worried look was on Vinyl's face, making her eyes shine in the faint moonlight.

"Octy, what if she-- it doesn't make it?" Vinyl's voice trembled slightly. "I keep having these nightmares where she-- There's another thing, it's always a filly-- where it's born dead, or-- or horribly mangled and strange. Once she wasn't even a pony at all."

"Sshhhh," Octavia moved so her hooves encircled Vinyl Scratch, pressing her own chest and stomach against Vinyl's. "She'll be okay, I promise. We both love her too much to let anything happen to her. Don't worry, Vinyl. Now, go back to sleep, it's..." She glanced at the clock. "Really late."

"But I'm nocturnal," Vinyl protested, pushing herself into a sitting position.

"No you're not, you're pregnant." Octavia gently but firmly pushed her back onto the mattress.

"But I'm hungry, too," Vinyl whined, shaking Octavia off and sitting up again. "Doesn't this being pregnant shit give me an excuse for being hungry at weird times?"

Octavia sighed, pushing herself out of the warm bed.

"Fine. Do you want a pb&j like usual?"

"Eugh." Vinyl made a face. "Do we have any pickles? And ice cream. I really want some vanilla ice cream."

"Vinyl, you hate pickles. And vanilla ice cream. I think we only have cherry. Is that okay?"

"It's fine. And what can I say? My, er, houseguest--" She patted her stomach-- "Has weird taste, okay?"

"I'll say," Octavia muttered as she walked to the kitchen.

Octavia opened the fridge and rummaged through it, muttering, "Pickles, pickles. Note to self, Vinyl now thinks she likes pickles, buy more of them."

Balancing a baking tray on her back, Octavia arranged to small bowls, one of pickles and one of cherry ice cream, on the tray and hurried back to the bedroom, being careful not to let anything spill.

"Took you long enough. I'm starving," Vinyl said, pouting. Then her voice softened, and she leaned in to kiss Octavia's cheek. "I'm sorry, 'Tavi-Babe. It's just these mood swings, and I'm so hungry..."

"I know. Here's your pickles and ice cream. I hope they make you sleepier." Octavia yawned and slid under the covers. "Goodnight, again, Vinyl. I'll do the dishes in the morning. I know how pregnancy is affecting your magic."

Vinyl stroked the tired Octavia's mane gently before dipping her first pickle into the ice cream and biting it in half. Mmm, delicious.


Octavia awoke to find Vinyl sitting up next to her, a concerned look on her face and her headphones stretched over her stomach. Two feet away from the end of the bed, the bowls from Vinyls midnight snack lay in a broken heap on the floor.

"Vinyl, um, what are you doing? And why did you try to levitate those bowls when I said I'd get them?" Octavia asked, stretching and sitting up.

"I want the baby to like wubs," Vinyl explained, as if that were obvious. "So I'm training her early."

"How in Equestria is that training her?"

"Dunno. But I read in one of Twilight's books that they can hear stuff as early as one month into it." The concerned look reappeared, and Vinyl took the headphones off of her stomach. "But I think she likes classical better."

"What makes you think that?" Octavia asked, looking slightly pleased.

"Again, I dunno. But it just seems that way. Do you think she's sick?"

"She probably just has better taste then you. And, she could still be a he, you know. Maybe we should start calling her 'it'?"

"Hmmm," Vinyl said, her chin resting on her hoof. "Nah. It's a she, I think."

Octavia rolled her eyes, then bent down to grab some thing from under the bed, which she held behind her back. "Hey, aren't you forgetting something?"

"I don't thi-- wait, I remember, it's our anniversary! I got you something a while ago, but it's in the closet. Can you wait?"

Octavia hugged her, grinning. "Of course I can, Vinyl. Here. Open this." She shoved a medium sized parcel into Vinyl's arms, eyes lit up with excitement.

Vinyl Scratch tried to unwrap it with her magic, but was unable to get more then a spark out of her horn so resorted to using her hooves and teeth to clumsily rip off the paper.

She gasped. Laying in her lap was a boxed set of books on the history of classical music. "Octavia, this is..." She trailed off, unable to find a way to optimistically describe the gift. Does she even know me?

"Just open it, Vinyl. I know you'll love them once you've gotten past the name." Octavia was practically bouncing on her side of the bed. She stifled a giggle. "Open it!"

Vinyl sighed and pulled out the first... Box?

She lifted the painted lid of the not-book and found a pair of sunglasses, not unlike her own, but in greenish blue instead of pink, almost the exact color of her mane.

"Octy, these are amazing. Where did you--" She turned them over in her hooves. "Sapphire Shores? You got sunglasses for me from Sapphire Shores' private brand?"

"I looked all over for them. They don't sell them in very many stores, but I had to get you the best." Octavia looked pleased with herself. "Open the other box."

Vinyl lifted the cover to the other box. Inside was a little scrapbook with a picture of Octavia kissing Vinyl o the cheek at the park. Vinyl flipped through the pages, looking at the pictures and little poems and doodles in Octavia's neat hoof-writing. But the last page was not in Octavia's writing. It was filled with signatures and messages from all Vinyl's old dj-ing buddies.

"Octavia, how did you even find all these guys? Celestia, even I didn't know where Big Disky went. So how in Equestria did you of all ponies get a hold of them?"

"Secret," Octavia grinned. She kissed Vinyl's nose. "I don't think you'd believe me anyways."

"I doubt that. But I still need to give you my present." Vinyl squeezed her eyes shut in concentration as she forced her horn to light, moving the closet door an inch before dropping down in exhaustion. "Damn this stupid side affect. Octy, you have no idea how troublesome it is to be an earth pony when you're supposed to be a unicorn. How do you guys live with it?"

"Because we're tougher." Octavia teased, scooting out of the way as Vinyl playfully tried to whack her. "Shall I just get it?"

Vinyl nodded in defeat. "This foal better be amazing. It's making me look like a weakling. Nopony does that without being punished."

"Is this it?" Octavia's voice came from the closet. She backed out carefully, carrying a medium-sized box on her back

"That's it." Vinyl sat up. "I can't believe that I can't lift that."

Octavia dropped the box in the middle of the room and began to methodically untape the flaps and pull them open. She peered in at the contents.

"A cord? What do I do with that?" Octavia looked confused.

Vinyl slid out of bed. "Follow me and I'll show you."

Octavia followed Vinyl over to her cello, which was standing in the corner of the living room as usual. Vinyl gently turned it on its side.

"Look." She grabbed the cord and plugged it into a tiny hole in the cello, one that Octavia knew she had never seen before. "Now you can plug your cello into my speakers. We can combine our musics and create even more awesomeness then ever before!"

"I don't get it. My cello never had that hole in it," Octavia said, puzzled.

"True. But I took it to this music store in Las Pegasus called Passing Notes a few weeks ago, and they fixed it up so it can be connected to my speakers. But, they kinda kicked me out when I tried to play it," Vinyl admitted sheepishly.

"Thank you, Vinyl." Octavia hugged her tightly. "This is the best present I could possibly hope for."

"Nah, the glasses you got me were way better." Vinyl blushed. "I can't believe you even found these things. Especially in this colour. Do you know how rare these are? I think there were only, like, 50 made in this colour."

Now it was Octavia's turn to blush. "I didn't know that, but I thought they would go with your mane. And Sapphire said they were the best--" She clamped a hoof over her mouth. "I wasn't supposed to say that!"

"S'okay--wait, you MET Sapphire Shores?"

"Yes--"

"Oh, my Celestia, that's amazing! That's like, meeting Mozart, or whatever his name is, for you, you know? I can't believe it."

"Calm down, okay? I wasn't supposed to say anything about that. But she said she knows who you are, don't all you modern music ponies know each other?"

"No, of course not. Do you know every single classical musician in Canterlot?"

"Not in Equestria, but in Canterlot, yes."

"Whatever," Vinyl said, smiling. "Anyways, I love you Octy. Thank for making this the best anniversary ever."

"I didn't know the glasses made you that happy." Octavia was glad, but a little surprised. The glasses were cool, but they were nowhere near as sweet a gesture as Vinyl's gift. Being able to make music together, in Octavia's opinion at least, was far more special than any fashion accessory.

"They don't," Vinyl said bluntly. "I love them, but it's you who really makes this anniversary special."