• Published 11th Jul 2012
  • 3,624 Views, 72 Comments

The Exiled Angel - Bigshot232



A story of how an angel came to be in Equestria and the actions he took in banishment.

  • ...
6
 72
 3,624

An Angel comes to town

Chapter 4

Pain, an unpleasant and emotional experience associated with damage or potential damage to a living being. A mechanism used to inform an organism to pull away from the source, ensuring the foreign entity no longer can cause harm to them.

The creator used this, as well as several other aspects when creating the planes of reality in the empty vacuum that he found after many a time searching. When the order was made and the sanctum built, it was deemed that many of the aspects of life, pain, discomfort and various other physical and emotional reactions should have a lessen effect on angels. This change was made when Satan, the second created angel, betrayed the order out of anger and hatred, inviting the legions of chaos into the mortal realms.

It was not for the fact Raguel never felt pain before, but now he was feeling, what he assumed the rest of the mortals dealt with their whole lives. He wasn’t able to ward off the diamond dogs attacks unscaved as Rover landed a blow. His claws, though they didn’t go very deep, still managed to leave three claw marks on the angel’s upper left torso.

The wound stretched and contracted as Raguel walked through the forest, becoming rather uncomfortable from the constant pain. Heaping the pile of jewels into one arm, he used his free hand, placing it under his robes to releave the wound with some pressure. Spike, oblivious to the angel’s predicament, described the fight from his point of view.

“And then you were like, Woosh! And they all fell down and you ripped that ones armour off like it was nothing.”

“Yea huh.”

“And Rover was all like ‘You’ll pay,’ and you got trapped and I saved you.”

“You sure did,” Raguel said as he took his hand out from his robes, cringing at the sight.

“And Rover was like ‘Please, no more…’ Raguel your hand!”

Looking away from his hand he could see Spike was facing his way, wide eyed and concern written all over his face. There was blood on his hand from the small injury, wiping some of it off on a mossy patch of a passing tree.

“It’s alright Spike, Just a scratch,” he lied

“No it isn’t, I can see it behind your cloths,” Spike pointed out causing the angel to take another look. The cut was mostly obscured, but the tops of the first two cuts could just be seen.

“It’s fine really, I’ve had worse,” he continued to insist, but the young drake wasn’t having it.

“You got that from the fight didn’t you. We should get it cleaned, Rarity said they never washed, it could get infected.”

Great, just what I need, another thing to worry about… stupid bacteria.’ Spike had a point, it needed to be cleaned properly.

“Fine then, I’ll do something about it when I get you back to the library,” Raguel said looking back at the trail, the exit of the woods drawing near, but Spike persisted.

“We could go see Fluttershy, she lives nearby.”

There was just no winning with this dragon. Even when Spike showed to be very different from most of his kind, he still exhibited some of their common traits, stubbornness. They exited the wood over looking Ponyville in the distance and the farm off to the left.

“She just lives over there,” Spike said pointing off to the right. The woods seemed to fade off to an open field, a separate forest just on the other side. Along it’s borders stood a lone cottage no more than a five minute walk from where they stood. The wound was starting to itch, ‘Maybe it would be better if it got checked sooner rather than later.

In silence Raguel started walking to the distant cottage, Spike slightly infront. They remained like this till they were at the home, small animals frolicking about the grassy planes surrounding it. The little dragon turned around, gesturing the angel to stop.

“Wait here, I’ll see if she’s in,” before walking up to the door. Raguel looked about the various animals observing him. It had been a long day and it wasn’t even half way through judging by the position of the sun in the sky. He placed the pile of gems down on the ground before sitting down himself, a group of rabbits and birds approaching him cautiously.

Spike knocked on the door, a meek voice sounded from the other side.

“Fluttershy? Your in, It’s me Spike,” He asked the wooden door. It opened slightly, a yellow mare with a pink mane poking her head through. As their eyes met she opened the door fully.

“Oh, hello Spike, what brings you here?” She asked with a small smile.

“Hi Fluttershy, I was hoping you could do my friend a favour,” the drake asked looking back at the angel. The mare looked up for a moment before dashing back inside, an audioable ‘eep’ and the slamming of the door.

“Please Fluttershy,” Spike pleaded, “He’s not a bad pony, er I mean angel.”

The door opened again as she are popped her head out, a quizzical, but unsure look on her face.

“An angel?” she murmured, looking back at the seated angel.

All around Raguel were rabbits, squirrels, badgers and mice running all over him and birds had perched themselves on his head and shoulders singing their song. They looked… happy and so did the angel. They had only ever acted this freely around her before, it was quite the sight to take in.

Fluttershy slowly came out of her door and into the open, lifting her head out of her mane. Raguel was too busy with the little critters to notice, playing with a little baby blue bird in his hands. She was about to approach further when the angel flinched at a rabbit that hung from the upper portion of his robes pulling them down slightly from where they sat. Something glinted on his chest, she squinted her eyes to try and make it out. It kind of looked like…

She gasped running back into her cottage, her door slamming shut again behind her. An annoyed Spike rolled his eyes as he went to the door… again.

“Your being si—oof!” he was interrupted as the door flew open, Fluttershy racing toward the angel.

Hearing the sound of a small child between a rock and a hard place, Raguel looked up seeing the pegasus for the first time as she ran towards him, a little box held in her mouth. She opened it and grabbed a rag. She only stopped a few inches from his torso, rag raised and all before dropping her head behind her shield taking a few steps back.

“Can um… can I take a look? If you… don’t mind.” She asked quietly, a blush forming on her cheeks. Noticing the box she had been carrying was a first aid kit, the angel nodded. He folded his legs and reached up to the large buttons, releasing their locks and exposing his skin to the sun’s warm embrace.

His muscles were toned but not large as they curved in and out along his frame. The wings stretched out popping their joints before resting on his back. The claw mark itself covered the left side of his chest, curving round under his arm in a diagonal manner. The wound hadn’t closed, but the dried flecks of blood had stopped any further bleeding.

Carefully the yellow mare raised her head again, gently placing the rag on the cut with her hoof. On contact the angel hissed through gritted teeth, the stinging sensation catching him off guard.

“Oh my gosh, I’m so sorry,” Fluttershy quickly apologised. Raguel was just as quick to apologise as well.

“No no, I’m sorry, just not used to this.”

Slowly she placed the rag back on, wiping over the claw marks in gently strokes. Soon the wound was cleaned and dressed. The itching had stopped and the pain had gone to a dull throb. After checking the bandages stayed in place, he buttoned up his robes, watching the timid Pegasus put away her supplies in the small first aid kit.

“Thank you, that was very kind of you,” The angel said as he patted a hand on the bandaged chest, “My names Raguel, what’s yours?”

He already knew of course, it was Spike’s idea to come here in the first place, but he figured it polite to have a proper introduction. She didn’t seem as shy as she had been before, but continued to speak in her very soft voice.

“Fl… I’m Fluttershy.”

Getting off from his seating position he starts to dust himself off. He looks at the cluster of animals as they made there around the pegasus in a similar manner they had just done to him a moment ago.

“They like you a lot, are they yours?”

“Oh no, I just take care of them,” she said as a few birds started twitting in her ear, “giggle* They like you too.”

“Heh, I like them too. Well, guess we better be off, I promised to get Spike back as soon as.”

“Ok.”

Bending over to reclaim the pile of gems he shouts out.

“Come on Spike, we’re going,” walking off down the path toward the town. Staggering from the door and making his way in a zig-zag fashion followed Spike.

“Er, yea… sure.”

As they walked away, the little blue bird twitted something again to the pegasus, electing a nod from the mare.

“Yes, he seems… nice.”

* * *

Spike took his place in front of Raguel as they walked about the town, pointing out all the shops and sights like Sugarcube Corner, Town Hall and such.

The walk was informative but the residents were something else. All of different colourations, shapes and sizes, each with a different mark on their flanks. As they passed, conversations stopped, activities ceased as they watched him walk by. Some tried to hide if he looked in their direction, others continued to stare, their eyes boring into his very person. Meeting some of the ponies one by was ok, it gave the angel time to introduce himself properly and get to know the individual better, but the masses were another story. Being looked at by this amount of souls shouldn’t have bothered him as much as it did, all he wanted was to exit the town and go back to the outskirts as soon as possible.

It wasn’t long till they arrived at a large tree adorned with a door and various windows. A wooden sign stood next to it with a picture of an open book. ‘Must be the library,’ he thought following Spike as he entered.

“Twilight?”

“There you are Spike, how’d gem hunting go?”

The voice came from the lavender unicorn hunched over her desk. Raguel placed the gems in Spike’s waiting arms.

“It was great, Raguel helped a lot,” he spoke as he waddled over to another room. Hearing the angel’s name, Twilight turned away from her desk smiling at Raguel.

“Thanks for bringing him back.”

“No problem, it’s the least I could do.” The angel’s gaze drifted to the bookshelfs to the floor of the library. Astruned all over were opened books and bits of parchments covering parts of the floor, the table in the centre and the desk she had just been sitting at a moment ago.

“Did you give Spike the letter,” she asked breaking Raguel’s train of thought. ‘The letter? Oh… right.’ Embarrassed the angel scratched the back of his head looking at the floor.

“Sorry Twilight, I must of dropped it.”

Twilight sighed, “It’s alright, I made a spare,” turning back to her notes.

“Was it important?” he inquired.

The unicorn raised a hoof and patted the collection of parchment on her desk, “It was for research, and I’ve hit a dead-end, so I was requesting more material for my work.”

Curious Raguel bent down to look at a few of the notes at the centre table. On one page it had a diagram of a single oval shape with lines curving into the centre of the shape and out again. There were mathematic and picture symbols followed by a few foot notes. On another page there was another diagram, this time with two oval shapes connected by two lines. Inside one shape was an image of what looked like a pony’s front while the other had a view of its rear. This too had equations and symbols decorating the page around the drawing. Unfortunately these were totally lost on the angel. Spike was bright for his age, but he didn’t have the same capacity that the unicorn was displaying. He did however have a disturbing amount of words to describe beauty… and purple.

Looking back up, Raguel decides to inquire about this research.

“So what are you doing exactly?”

Twilight turned round with an eyebrow raised.

“If you don’t mind that is,” he quickly added.

“I’m trying to create a new spell,” she stated rolling her eyes.

“And what would the spell do?”

Sigh* I’m trying to create a new form of teleportation spell that allows anypony to go from one place to another from a portal of magic.”

“You mean you’ve found a way to harness portal magic?”

“Well we’ve already used it to a certain degree, I’m just trying to expand upon it. I found a way to create door ways for ponies to pass through, but I can’t keep it stable and it’s uses a lot of magic to maintain.”

Portal magic, now I see what the diagrams were implying, maybe I can help.’ He brought a hand to his chin and asked, “Show me.”

Reluctantly the unicorn tore herself away from her desk. She lowered her horn and it started to glow in a lavender light, a slight humming sound emitting from it. Seconds past and an oval shape appeared next to Raguel, the outer edges coloured in blue light. Grunting under the strain Twilight’s horn grew brighter as a second portal formed on the other side of the angel, this one with a green border. Inside both shapes appeared Raguel, looking into one portal and away from the other, but something was off. They flickered and wavered from their normal state before they collapsed on themselves, blowing away a few stray bits of parchment from the proxy of the spell.

Looking back at Twilight he could see how much she had exerted herself. She was sweating and breathing heavily, stomping a hoof down at her own frustration.

“You huff* see…” she panted.

“Yes I see, and you doing it wrong,” Raguel deadpanned. Twilight lifted her head, a confuse but insulted look on her face.

“Let me explain.”

You are not fully completing the cycle of arcane exchange between each portal. Each portal needs to be done separately with a self sustained magical field before being linked. The portals collapse due to the tethering effect being too weak. The cost of magic should be substantially less, but by focusing on both portal simultaneously, you cause a flux of your own magical ability, negating any chance of completing the spell.

“Your doing it too quickly, you need to do each portal on their own. When you’ve done that, then you can link them together. By doing them together you only make it harder for yourself.”

Twilight took in the explanation for a few moments before rubbing it off.

“No offence Raguel, but I think I know what I’m doing.”

Ugh, confound this vocabulary,’ “Please Twilight listen to me, believe me when I say your so close, just follow my directions.”

She just continued to stare.

“Alright look, it won’t hurt to try, if it doesn’t work you’ll never hear me question your methods again, deal?”

Another sigh escaped her muzzle as she readied her statue once more.

“Fine,” she said unenthusiastically.

“Ok, do what you did before with the first portal.”

Again Twilight’s horn glowed as magic was funnelled through it. In a matter of seconds the blue portal appeared.

“Now, spiral the flow of your magic around the surface, you’ll see when to stop.”

The unicorn raised an eyebrow before trying the suggestion. The intertwining lights around the portal started to speed up, circling quicker and quicker until they stopped, joining together creating a solid shape. Twilight’s horn ceased its glow as she inspected the portal.

“Good… good, now do the exact same thing again.”

She looked back at the angel, then the portal.

“Erm, ok,” sounding unsure.

She turned around, her horn lightening up again as the second portal formed. It’s outer edges taking on the colour green, but as the spiralling magic fuelled into it, it changed to a turquoise colour as he outer edges solidified. Both portals stood with blackness filling their centres. The glow from the unicorn’s horn faded for the second time as she marvelled at the two self sustained portals, there was just one last thing left to do.

“Now connect them, grab one end and drag it to the other.”

Nodding her head and smiling, Twilight reached into the arcane vortex of the first portal with her magic, stretching the thread of energy to the other portal. As they touched, the borders flashed, losing their blue glow entirely. The portals were now linked and complete.

The air in the room was electrified as the unicorn marvelled at the creation of her work. All thoughs late nights spent researching the arcane and teleportation scrolls had rewarded her with an amazing new spell. Portal magic had reached a new height in Equestria. With this new spell, teleportation was no longer reserved to the more powerful unicorns, even her friend Rarity would be able to cast this spell and so long as the pony casting it had been in the place before, they could travel from Canterlot to the scorched lands, home of the dragons. She could hardly contain her joy as she hopped through each portal with an excessive amount of yeses.

It was nice seeing her happy, she had obviously worked hard to get where she was Raguel thought. Even without his help, she would have gotten to the conclusion sooner or later. Truly she was every bit as brilliant and gifted as Spike had told him about.

“This is amazing, how did you know,” she piped up enthusiastically.

Several hundred years of arcane study,’ “A few angels use the same technique to get around.”

giggle* Well thank you Raguel,” Twilight raised a hoof to her mouth, “Oh almost forgot, your new in Ponyville correct?”

“Yes I am,” the angel said. Twilight trotted over to the table by the door.

“Pinkie’s hosting a welcome party for you, “ she explained as she levitated the envelope marked ‘Welcome’ over to Raguel. “It’ll be at Sugarcube corner at seven.”

“Sugarcube corner? You mean the ginger bread house in town?”

“That’s the one.”

A welcome party? Why would they do such a thing for me if everypony I met avoided me when I walked through town?’ He hadn’t been here for a day and so far he met a dragon, a farmer, a magician, beaten up some dogs and now this ‘Pinkie’ was doing a welcome party for him. ‘Maybe I’m just over thinking this.’

“Sure, I’ll be there.”

“Great. And thanks again with the spell. If you need anything you can always ask me,” she offered.

“Actually,” Raguel said as he eyed up the shelves, “Can I borrow a book?”

Happy to be of help with the literacy arts she nodded her head, “sure what do you need?”

“A Dictionary.”

The comment was short, to the point and a little odd to the unicorn. Hesitantly she retrieved the book. It was thick with every know word in the equestrian language, heavy too. The angel took the book from her magic grasp and headed for the door. They bid each other farewell and he left.

Spike remerged back into the main lobby of the library having put his gems away.

“Hey Twilight, you’ll never guess what happened today…”

* * *

The trip out of Ponyville had been short as Raguel had made his way back near the forest he passed through to a small lake. The lake feed into a river that ran through Sweet Apple Arces, with a clear view of the farm and the cottage that belonged to Fluttershy on the other side.

Judging by the position of the sun, it was just past midday. The clouds that were in the sky were gone now except for two. One was hanging over Ponyville while the other rested above the lake. After gazing at the cloud for sometime, Raguel crouched and jumped into the air, clearly thirty feet as he landed on the small cloud with a poof.

“Yes, this will do nicely,” he muttered to himself.

He got to his knees and rested a palm on its surface closing his eyes as he concentrated on his flow. The energy moved down his arm and into the cloud. Slowly the cloud grew, taking on a new shape as the angel funnelled his power into it. The centre rose higher into the air, growing wider as it expanding beneath his feet. The cloud soon reached it peek in size, and just as slowly started to shrink in various areas, forming distinctive shapes as it slowly became a structure.

A door appeared along the vertical wall that touched the base of the cloud, windows forming as the cloud hollowed out allowing the sun to illuminate the inside. Pillars rose infront of the structure joining an over hanging bit of cloud. As the structure nearly finished, a small hole opened at the top, a golden liquid flowing down the front side of the building, splitting in half as it fell to the base of the cloud in two pools, before over flowing off the edges and dissipating before reaching the lakes surface.

The work was long but was worth it. In the hours it had taken to build this structure, Raguel was rewarded with his home. Customizing what he had seen in many mortal homes there was a meeting room with two couches and a fireplace, a kitchen with various counters and a sink tapped into the vapours of the cloud. A bathroom with a heavily condensed bit of cloud turning it into a mirror and a study lined with shelves, draws and a desk. Finally a bedroom, there was a door that led to a landing outside crested between the two waterfalls and a large double bed.

Looking away from his work and back to the sun, it had started to dip below the horizon, the sky changing to a warm orange glow. Stepping inside his home briefly, he threw his dictionary on a near by couch before jumping off the cloud and heading back to the village. He had a party to attend.

* * *

"Did you see that thing?"

"Its was following that little dragon."

"I'll tell ya, things have gotten mighty strange since that unicorn arrived in these parts."

"Do you think it was just passing through."

"Ah don't think so. Pinkie pie said something about a party tanight."

"By Celestia mane what is she thinking throwing a party for that thing."

"Well I got an invite."

"Me too."

"Yall think we should go?"