• Published 17th May 2017
  • 4,235 Views, 108 Comments

My Name is Eris - megabyte97



Eris can't seem to catch a break, but when given a one in infinity chance to make a difference she takes it... Now the question is how much of a difference is she going to make in a world where Equestria hasn't been founded yet?

  • ...
13
 108
 4,235

Change

Learning how to walk again is surprisingly hard. Normally this is quickly fixed with a small application of magic substituting for muscle memory or using someone else’s physical body and muscle memory… My new body was created recently thus no muscle memory, and my magic is… uncooperative.

‘Come on, come on!’ I think, focusing on my black talon of a hand and trying to push my magic through the twitching digits. I can feel the magic flowing through me, but… it’s like the magic is taunting me, holding out a metaphorical hand millimeters away from my talon with a shit eating grin and telling me to take its metaphorical hand knowing I can’t reach it.

Gritting my new teeth, I curl my talon into a fist and slam it into the ground. The rattler at the end of my tail rattles in annoyance at the perceived setback. I close my eyes and take a deep breath before opening them once more. Glaring down at my mismatched legs, I dig my arms into the ground for leverage and try to pull my legs under me.

I grab the ground with my lizard like claws and manage to pull the zebra hoof under me. It’s uncomfortable, trying to balance on my new legs. Trying to balance on the zebra hoof is almost like trying to balance on the tip of a human toe, and the other leg isn’t helping with me having to strain to keep it grounded.

Taking a deep breath, I loosen my grip on the ground with my arms and smile a little when I don’t come crashing down immediately, only for my eyes to widen and for my arms to pull two globs of mud from the ground as I come crashing down two seconds later.

I sigh, looking up at the storm overhead in annoyance. My patience is wearing thin, and after several moments of staring at the clouds I come to a decision.

‘One more try,’ I think. Bringing my black talon up once more, I try to summon my magic. It’s still uncooperative, but when my annoyance reaches its peak my magic jumps to the talon only to shoot back after the single moment.

The magic does… something. Come and gone so fast that if it wasn’t so powerful I would probably wonder if it happened at all. In that instant something changes, it feels like all of my energy is just… gone. I sigh again, looking up at the clouds once more with half lidded eyes, before falling over on my side and closing my eyes, trying to ignore the feeling of raindrops falling on my head.

‘...Why can’t my fur cover my entire body?’


It’s strange waking up again. It’s no longer raining, but that means little. My body feels different from yesterday… but with a touch of familiarity now. I can feel my ears turn in different directions and I can feel that my mouth and face changed as I yawn. Blinking open my eyes I find that my face is now white, or at least the bridge of my face I can see in front of me is. Opening my mouth slightly, I run a much larger tongue over my teeth, finding that my fangs are gone and there are an overabundance of molars in my mouth similar to a herbivore. Closing my eyes once more, I take a deep breath and find that I can smell much more than yesterday.

Releasing the breath, I open my eyes and bring an arm up to my face. A white hoof comes into view… at least, I think it’s a hoof. I feel that I still have a tail, but it’s different too. It feels shorter, more like hair than scales. Speaking of hair, I now have some rust red hair falling across the top of my eyes. Turning my head to the left, I take in my body’s appearance before letting it drop to the ground again and a painful sensation racking my head as something hits a very sensitive point on my forehead.

‘Damn it, damn it, damn it!’ I chant in my head as my white hooves scramble towards the source of the pain, freezing when I feel out a cone shape on my forehead. The pain fades eventually, but I am still in a daze as all the sensations pile up.

Lifting my head again, I look back at my body. I stare at the white wings clamped to my sides and my new rust red tail. An image of a quill and inkwell is on my flank and a moment later I come to a conclusion.

‘I’m another chimera, some sort of winged unicorn,’ I think, before shaking my head and looking around. There are two small puddles where my arms tore up the ground yesterday. Placing my two front hooves on the ground, I slowly pull myself into a sitting position. Reaching out as far as I’m able, I try to pull myself to the puddles to look at my reflection.

I quickly give up the endeavor with wide eyes as a sensitive point beneath my tail protests against sliding across an uneven ground. Moving my back hooves under me I reach forward again, catching my right hoof on the edge of one of the puddles. Making sure my back hooves are indeed under me, I slowly pull myself to the edge and look at my reflection. Two large blue eyes look back at me, and a horn protrudes from my forehead parting my now red hair.

‘...At least my legs are the same length now,’ I state silently. My magic has changed as well, as the chimera it was unhelpful, and now it’s acting like a hyperactive child. I can feel it flowing throughout my body doing things, but I’m not sure exactly sure what.

Repositioning my hind legs, I take a deep breath and attempt to stand up. My legs are shaking, but I slowly extend my hooves more and more until they are no longer bending.

Smiling softly, I focus on breathing and keeping myself on my four hooves. My smile dies a quick death when my new ears swivel towards a sound coming from the trees that’s getting louder. Turning my head to the right, I slowly move my hooves one at a time so that I am facing whatever’s coming.

‘Come on Eris, you’ve survived everything up to this point. Nothing in this damn forest could hold a candle to your magic.’

My breathing quickens as my normal reassurance hits a very big wall and the sounds grow louder.

‘...Now only if I could make my magic work.’

Author's Note:

Hmmm, I wonder what's making that sound.

As always, if you have the time leave a comment down below, they are really appreciated, and I hope you wonderful readers have a nice day.