• Published 14th May 2017
  • 1,854 Views, 42 Comments

The Kalos Challenge - Riku006



Celestia accepts a challenge from Discord. What she didn't anticipate is where that challenge would take her.

  • ...
1
 42
 1,854

Prologue - The Challenge

“Ah, lovely.”

Celestia set down her cup of tea as she looked over the edge of the balcony, the great city of Canterlot and the sprawling valley of central Equestria creating a beautiful sight before her in the morning light. The vibrant colours of the potted plants near the balcony’s edge gave it a more natural feel and added a lovely, if slightly magically enhanced, aroma. A sigh of contentment escaped the princess. More often than not she would be stuck either at an official meeting or off to one of Equestria’s main cities or locales on business, meaning she was robbed a pleasure she ensured for her little ponies; basking in the radiant morning light.

I must remember to thank Luna somehow for offering to help, she thought to herself before setting her sights on the plate on the alabaster table before her, a slice of cake half eaten. A smile graced her lips. Perhaps if she were to indulge, maybe she wouldn’t tease me about it as much. Imagine the tabloids chasing her around about cake for once. A knocking on the windowed balcony doors broke Celestia from her train of thought, and she turned to see a messenger approach with a bow.

“I’m terribly sorry to interrupt you, Your Highness, but this just arrived for you.” The messenger reached into his saddles bags and pulled out a scroll, one which Celestia took in her magic with a nod in thanks. As he turned back inside, Celestia looked over the scroll. There was no seal, but strangely it was wrapped in what seemed to be liquorish.

“Perhaps it’s from Pinkie Pie,” she mused to herself. Deep down, she hoped it was a friendship report. It had been at least a year since her last report, and she knew Twilight and her friends were now well versed in the ways of friendship and harmony and writing to her about every lesson learned didn’t seem necessary anymore. But, if she was being brutally honest, she missed receiving those letters, seeing those six amazing ponies grow.

So, with a flick of her magic, she opened the scroll.

“TA-DA!!!”

The sounds of party whistles rang out and streamers and confetti materialised out of thin air as out of the scroll grew a familiar serpentine form.

“Why hello Celestia,” a grinning draconequus greeted her. “Just thought I’d pop in and see how everyone’s favourite princess was doing. I brought snacks.” With that he pulled a tray from behind his back, one laden with what looked to be cucumber sandwiches.

So much for my peaceful morning, Celestia thought to herself before donning the placating smile she wore oh so well. “Thank you Discord, but as you can see,” nodding her head to her cake, “I’m afraid I’ve already eaten. But, I could arrange some tea for you if you’d like.”

“Oh, how gracious of you, though it seems I’ve brought my own.” Discord smirked as he now pulled from behind his back the waiter who had served Celestia earlier in the morning, still holding a steaming pot of tea. Holding the poor pony by the tail, Discord poured himself some tea into a floating cup before releasing the scared pony onto the balcony and drinking the cup itself. Seemingly done with this little showboating, Discord threw the undrinked tea into the air behind him, exploding like fireworks.

“So,” Discord continued as he lounged on air next to Celestia. “All quiet on the royal duties front I see.”

“Yes,” Celestia nodded, doing her best not to roll her eyes at the previous grandiose display. “Luna graciously offered to perform my duties this morning after I raised the sun. It’s pleasing to see her growing more confident with taking on more responsibility.”

“Yes, how wonderful for her. It has to be good for her public image taking on more responsibility. I’m amazed she actually talked you into it.” This drew a questioning eyebrow raise from the princess, though if Discord noticed, he didn’t care. “I mean, after delegating everything else to Twilight and her friends, one has to wonder if there’s any role left in Equestria for you.”

“What are you implying Discord?” Celestia rose to her hooves now, an uncommon frown forming upon her normally serene features.

“What?” Discord put his claws up in defence. “I’m just pointing out the obvious. I mean; Twilight and her friends have saved Equestria from Nightmare Moon, from me, from the Changelings, King Sombra, my little vines and Tirek, the majority of those times you told them to do so rather than just doing it yourself.”

“You know my hooves were tied in those circumstances,” Celestia retorted. “I was unable to use the Elements of Harmony against Nightmare Moon or you. It was Shining Armor’s love for Cadence that enabled Chrysalis to defeat me, and Sombra’s return was the perfect opportunity for Twilight to prove herself worthy of ascension.”

Discord’s wry smirk showed his enjoyment. “Oh, I’m not doubting all those things happened Celestia. I’m merely pointing out that, since Twilight’s adventures began, you haven’t been able to defeat a single threat to Equestria on your own.” The temperature had steadily been rising on the balcony, and it took great control for Celestia not to accidentally set the potted plants alight in annoyance. As if in response to this, an electric fan manifested and began spinning cool air at Discord’s face.

“You’re trying my patience Discord,” Celestia warned him. “What do you want?”

“Why, merely give you an opportunity to prove me wrong,” Discord said whilst feigning innocence. “I propose a challenge, to see if you can restore harmony without calling for assistance from Twilight and co.

“I’ll send you to a once-harmonious place, and all you have to do is follow your former protégé’s lead and solve it, preferably within what feels like half an hour or so.”

“Where will you be sending me?” Her question was answered by a loud buzzer sound.

“Oh, so sorry,” Discord teased whilst wearing a suit with an attached microphone. “That’d be spoiling all the fun. However, I promise I won’t be sending you anywhere… too dangerous. Also, you won't be able to return here until the challenge is finished, and NO calling for help from 'Your faithful student, Twilight Sparkle.'” That last part he spoke while shapeshifting his head into Twilights.

Celestia ignored this and considered his proposition for a moment. “I take it you’ll be sending me there the second I agree?”

“Well,” Discord flicked through the pages of a work diary. “I suppose I could send you there in your sleep if you’re that desperate to stall.”

“I merely wish to ensure Equestria’s well cared for in my absence.” She was certain Twilight, Fluttershy and the others could reign Discord in should he try anything. He may've been reformed by Fluttershy, but the incident with Tirek still lingered in the back of Celestia's mind.

“And you think I’m not up to the job?” Celestia merely raised a doubtful eyebrow at the draconequus. “Geez Celestia, you always know how to suck the fun out of everything. Fine; nothing bad will happen to Equestria while you’re away.”

Celestia stared Discord long and hard in his gold and crimson eyes. It was always a challenge to tell when he was being sincere without Fluttershy’s assistance, but she knew he was no longer the type to say hurtful words for no reason. He always had a reason. But regarding Equestria’s safety, she saw nothing that carried ill intent in his demented gaze, other than arrogant over-confidence, that is.

“Very well Discord. I accept.”

Author's Note:

So I've been wanting to write this story for ages, but never knew how best to get the ball rolling. Sometimes I thought it should be Twilight and Starlight sampling a spell or Celestia (or perhaps even Luna) getting randomly flung from Equestria.
But it finally clicked for Discord to pull the trigger and now I can finally get this story started. Hopefully you all enjoyed this little sample and stick around for the rest of the story.