• Published 14th May 2017
  • 1,138 Views, 5 Comments

What Are You Buying - Greed and Giving



the origin of The Merchant in all the Displaced stories.

  • ...
6
 5
 1,138

What are you buying?

What Are You Buying?

By Greed and Giving

‘Well just sent another poor soul to a version of Equestria that will work with their costume, I am sorry for that but if I don’t I will be sent back to mine.’ the Merchant thought as he watched a poor girl dressed as a game character disappear after buying what was needed to complete their costume. He is tired of doing this for the last few years, but he needed to or he will never be free to return back home. He starts to remember his life before he became The Merchant from Resident Evil 4 as a new customer approached his stall with him saying his signature phrase “What are you buying?”

He was a seventeen year old gamer who saved up his money for the last three years doing odd jobs just so he could go to one of the major cons being held in his hometown this year, even though he didn’t have a costume he was happy that he got to go and see what it was like.

After the first couple of days he had gotten an assortment of cheap pieces of a costume to wear, which was The Merchant, for the last two days of the con when he happened to see a person accidently drop their wallet on the floor. Rushing over and picking it up he looked around to see if he could find the person who dropped it, seeing the person going to the concession area he quickly followed. When he got to the area he heard an argument between the man who dropped the wallet and one of the staff at the pizza stall.

“What do you mean that you don’t have any money, you old geezer, you don’t pay me you don’t get any food.” the staff member was almost shouting at the man.

“I swear I had my wallet just a few moments ago, but now it has disappeared, can I just get the meal and then ask security to help me find it, then I will pay you double the price?” the old man asked before a hand was placed on his shoulder, making both the man and staff member look behind the old man seeing the one who found the wallet, smiling before handing it to the old man.

“Here you go, you dropped it and I wanted to make sure it got back to you before some shady person took it,” he said when the old man was handed his wallet, “just try to be more careful when in a crowd and you might not lose it again.” he said before turning to walk away but was stopped by the old man.

“What is your name young man?” the old man asked. “And are you hungry because I can’t let you go without giving you a reward.

“My name is Myles and no thank you, I don’t need anything because I’m going to head home in a thirty minutes to babysit my little sister and I can eat there, but I do appreciate your courtesy.” Myles says to the old man before walking to the exit. Little did Myles know that he has just sealed his fate with that act of kindness.

That night after his parents came home from their meeting Myles went to bed tired but happy that he had helped someone out before he went to sleep. He started to have a very nice dream before he saw the old man from before, which was weird because why would he dream of someone that he just met, except a cute girl. Myles what confused before the old man walked up to him and started to talk.

“Thank you again for finding and giving back my wallet, but you did leave before I could give you a reward so I’m going to reward you now with a new life in a new world, though you can always come back, but you will have to do some work for me if you do come back, and sadly if you do you will not be you till your work is done, and Myles you don’t have a say of what your work will be, but you will find out what I mean when you wake up. Now good luck with what path you choose and I will see you again.” the old man said as he started to fade.

Myles woke up with a start after that dream and found that he was not in his room anymore, but in a shack just big enough for a bed and a large amount of cases and crates. Myles gets up and looks around for a minute before spotting a mirror on the wall. Looking at the mirror could see that he no longer looked liked before going to bed, but now he looked just like The Merchant from Resident Evil 4.

There was a letter pinned to the wall next to the mirror that had his name on it, which Myles grabbed and open to read. The letter told Myles what he had to in this world and where he was, Griffonstone, and if he wanted to go home he would have to find a way to Equestria and talk to the Princess of Friendship and Magic, but in order to do that he had to sell his wares and collect enough money to get a ticket, and that he had to survive in this world because a few deadly plagues and viruses have been released on the world.

After five long and agonizing years of selling/buying everything he had Myles has made it to Equestria and is on his way to find Princess Twilight so that he can get out of this nightmare of a world when he comes across a filly with a dirty white coat with a two toned pink mane and tail crying in a hollow of a large tree.

“Hello little one are you okay, do you need some help?” he asks as he slowly makes his way to her, his voice makes her jump in surprise and turn to look at him while trying to back away from him.

“Please don’t eat me, I don’t have anymore family to mourn me.” she cries with terror in her eyes.

“I’m not going to eat you little one, I just want to help you if I can, that is all.” Myles said, which does seem to make her relax a bit.

He sees that she has a dirty golden necklace on with a purple diamond set in the middle, which makes him wonder where she gotten it from.

“What is your name and where did you get that necklace because I never seen one like that before?” Myles asked.

“My name is Sweetie Belle and this was my sister Rarity’s Element, before she …” Sweetie Belle said before she started to cry, Myles gentle pulled her out of the hollow and held her close to give her some form of comfort in this Hell of a world. When she was done crying she pulled away to look at him and then asked “Where are you going Mr.? I’m trying to get back home to Ponyville, where Twilight has made a safe area for survivors to live.” Sweetie Belle stated, then her stomach started to grumble quite loudly, causing her to blush. “Sorry about that I haven’t eaten in three days and I don’t want to be a burden on you.” she said with a little disappointment in her voice and on her face. Myles laughed lightly and patted her head.

“It’s okay Sweetie, I’m actually headed to Ponyville myself and I think I have some food or something you can have.” Myles says as he places her on the ground and starts to look through his pockets. After finding half a loaf of bread he hands it to her, which she takes and starts eating greedily. “Hey slow down on eating that or you might choke.” he states as he watches Sweetie nearly choke on a bite.

After an hour of walking they come to a large see-through dome over what looks to be a town. Sweetie goes to tap on it but when her hoof touches it, it passes right through as if it was not there. Myles tries and finds the same for him as well, and at a good time to because they hear a loud growl come from their left, turning to see what it is they see a weird version of a Licker coming at them. Myles picks Sweetie Belle up and runs into the dome, making it just moments before it got them.

They hear a whizzing sound behind them and then see a beam of lavender shot past them before the Licker is killed, blood and gore splashing on the outside of the dome. Turning around Myles and Sweetie see a few ponies in armour with the one who shot the beam in front of them, her horn still glowing.

“Who are you and what do you want here in Ponyville stanger.. Sweetie Belle is that you?” the lead pony asked before Sweetie Belle squirmed free and run up to her, getting a hug from Sweetie.

“Twilight thank you for saving us, we just here before that thing attacked us.” Sweetie says happily.

“Where is Rarity, how come she’s not with you?” Twilight asked

“Rarity saved me when we were leaving Canterlot and he found me just a little while ago because he was looking for you.” Sweetie said sadly while looking at the ground.

“I’m here because you can help me get home Princess Twilight.” Myles says to the shock of everypony there.

“What do you mean by that?” Twilight asked.

Myles reaches into his pocket and pulls out the letter that he found when he first got here, hands it to her Twilight reads the letter and quickly understands what he means. Waving they to follow Twilight heads back to her castle to do a little research.


A few months later, and Myles selling better equipment to the town, Twilight was ready to start sending Myles back home. Everypony was sad to have Myles leave but also glad that he will get to go home, the night before he was to leave there was big party thanks to Pinkie Pie and everypony was thanking him for what he has done for them.

After Myles left he was in a strange warehouse. He hears a cough and looks to where it came from, seeing the old man Myles sighs and asks “What do you want me to do?” The old man smiles.
“That’s the spirit boy.”

And that is the origin of The Merchant, and his still working for the old man.

Author's Note:

If I get enough people asking, I'll make this a multi-chapter story

Comments ( 3 )

You really need an editor friend. Get this thing polished up a bit.

8161580 I know and I forgot to ask him.:twilightsheepish:

8161767 hey some are good, but you are entitled to your thought.:pinkiecrazy:

Login or register to comment