• Published 10th Jul 2012
  • 7,273 Views, 1,224 Comments

My Little Heartbreak: Meanwhile, Back at the Farm - Jet_Black1980



Stuck in the library for a month HB goes a little stircrazy, a trip to the farm seems in order!

  • ...
28
 1,224
 7,273

PreviousChapters Next
Warm Apple Pie


Chapter 28

Warm Apple Pie

Heartbreak sat down at the table and looked at Applejack. “Quite the spread, A.J.,” She said quietly.

“What was that?” Applejack asked.

She sighed and rolled her eyes muttering about something. She then cleared her throat and spoke up. “I said that this is quite the spread. Everything looks really good.”

“Oh, well, thanks! Ah do try ma hardest. Ah mean when ya got a farm ta run and four mouths ta feed...” Applejack began.

Heartbreak looked at the table, a momentary flicker of something passed over her face. “Yeah, speaking of four mouths, where’s Applebloom?”

“She’s still over with her friends, ah think she was guna have a sleepover with them,” Applejack replied.

“Oh,” she replied in a detached manner.

Applejack looked at her with concern. “Somethin’ the matter there, sugarcube?”

“It’s nothing, Applejack,” Heartbreak replied, as her stomach growled at her. “I’m just hungry, I guess. Low blood sugar and all that.”

“Well then, good thing that ah made extra,” She replied, as she brought the stew over to the table. She proceeded to pour some in the bowls. “Seems like she’s gone ta stealth mode now. A far cry from what she was this morn’.

Heartbreak took a good sniff of the stew. “Smells...garlicky?”

“Well, seeing that ya said that that ya were a fan of it, ah thought ah’d cook up one of Granny’s old recipes!” Applejack said proudly. “Now, ah’m not sure that ah got everything there right, but ah did ma best.” She finished dishing out Big Mac’s bowl and set the pot on the table. “Hey! Macintosh! Soup’s on!”

==============================================================

This is the most food that I have seen in my time here in Equestria. Granted that it has only been almost three months.
Big Mac trots into the room and sits down in the seat across from me. He spares no time taking a roll and buttering it up. I am still confused at the way that ponies are able to use their hooves to even attempt this feat. This confusion transforms into frustration as I realize, once again that I am not even going to be able to serve myself at the dinner table. I look down at my hooves, they clatter about as I try to figure out whether or not I should attempt to reach for anything on my own or ask for help. “This is stupid, just fucking stupid. Everytime! Everytime I feel like a fucking three year old in all this! Damn it H.B., calm down. There is no reason to get all worked up over-” I feel something on my shoulder. Applejack is standing over me with a look of sympathy on her face.

“Ya need some help there, sugarcube?” She asks. “Ah mean with yer condition and all.”

Great. Applejack is helping to perpetuate my lie. But is it really a lie? I mean it is a condition of sorts. Something is wrong with my hooves. I can’t grasp things like the other ponies. I still can’t get why I can have a stine around my ankle but can’t do anything else. But if this condition has anything to do with the Fae, it doesn’t have to make sense. It’s like useless super powers: Super speed only when it’s dark, the ability to talk to plants but not get them to do anything, having eyes at the ends of your fingertips. There’s a bunch of useless little rules and clauses at the end of everything that just don’t make any fucking sense.

“I-I...” Damn it. I must look like an invalid. All last month I was bitching about this in the back of my mind, and I’m still bitching about it. “Yes please.”

“Alright then, what would ya like?” She asks me.

“A bit of everything, I mean if you wouldn’t mind,” I reply looking at her. Applejack nods and starts dishing things out. That’s when I notice that Big Mac is giving me a funny look. It’s this annoying, weirded out and confused look. I want to be respectful to Applejack, seeing that she just offered to help me gather food, but at the same time, that look Mac is giving me is going to get old really quickly. “What?” I finally ask trying to temper the annoyance in my voice.

“Uhm, nothin’,” he replies.

“Macintosh, it’s rude ta stare and if somethin’s botherin’ ya, ya should get it out,” Applejack says, plunking an ear of corn on my plate. She follows this up with mashed potatoes, a roll, green beans and a few apple slices. The plate looks engorged as it is, but moments later everything excluding the apple slices is given a pat of butter. True country comfort, Paula Deen would be very proud.

“Ah was just wonderin’,” he begins, “Why you don’t just use your mouth to reach for things.” Internally, I sigh. That would be the obvious answer right? Then again, maybe I can work with this...

I look at him with a repulsed expression. “Where I’m from, it’s not only rude but gross to do that. There is a great concern about spreading things like germs and illnesses. When it comes to things like food or water. We’re extremely careful. I mean, before we figured out that boiling water made it safe, hundreds of us died of contaminated food and water.” The both of them give me a rather vaguely horrified expression.

“Okay,’ Big Mac replies. Applejack gives me a somewhat disapproving look. I look away and try to think of something more pleasant-like the dinner on my plate.

I think I have mentioned this before, but I will say it again. Everything on the plate looks really good. I can feel my mouth watering in anticipation of what is to come. Except there is one thing missing from this dinner setting: Silverware. With the exception of the serving spoons and a few knives, there just isn’t any actual silverware.

Damn it, if I make a big deal about it, then there are going to be questions. But...but... fuck...I’m going to have to eat like a dog! Or an animal or-” That’s when I hear Applejack’s voice.

“Alright everypony! Dig in!” She exclaims. The two of them just practically bury their faces in the food. Well, not like bury, bury their faces. But they are still eating without the need for silverware. She looks at me licking her lips clean of some potato. “Somethin’ wrong there, H.B.?”

“Uhm, no...Everything is fine, just...fine..” Then I notice the glass doesn’t have a handle. “But, could I get a straw for my juice?”

“Ah don’t see why not,” Applejack replies, getting up from the table and fetching one a drawer. Again, somehow she is holding it in the crack of her ankle. “Seein’ that ya have, ‘shaky hooves’ an’ all.”

I want to frown at Applejack and sulk about this. Like I said before. Perpetuate the lie. But then again, it’s been over a month. Shouldn’t I be used to all these things by now? Bending my head down to eat, drinking through a straw and trying to get my hooves to do what I want? Shut up, H.B., you’re tired, hungry and fretting over nothing. We are not the, ‘sympathy sue!’ Focus on the positive here. She is willing to give you a meal, take you into your home after you have berated her friends, and you need to try to give...something back. “T-thank you, A.J.”

“Don’t think anythin’ of it,” she replies. Fet, she’s being nice. And that usually means that she wants something. Damn it brain! Shut up! What was I just telling you?!

I bend my head down and start to partake in the meal that has been presented to me. It’s fucking delicious.

==============================================================

Applejack watched as Heartbreak finally started eating her food. She swore she could see the corners of the mare’s face starting to up turn in a smile. Applejack took a long drink of her apple juice before digging into her salad. “Spike was right about her liking food.” She licked her lips. “So, H.B., everything ta yer liking?”

Heartbreak looked up and pulled a green bean into her mouth. “I’ve barely started eating, A.J.” She attempted to put her hooves on the buttered ear of corn on her plate, it slipped and slid a little bit until she bit down into it. “But, everything looks really good and tastes really good.” Applejack nodded as Heartbreak pulled the straw into her mouth. After taking a long drink, she let out a satisfied gasp. “It’s really fetting good, A.J.”

“Fetting?” Big Mac asked between bites of corn.

“Uhm, yes. Fetting, like,” Heartbreak pointed at her hoof. “Fetlocks. Where I am from, fetlocks are important and to describe something as, ‘fetting good,’ means that it is really good!”

“Okay.” Big Mac replied.

Applejack shot a glare at Heartbreak. “Ah’m sure that when she says ‘fet’ or ‘fetlocks,’ she’s meanin’ somethin’ else.” Heartbreak merely tried to avoid the stare.

“Mmmm, nothing like, uhm good old home down cooking,” she said, gobbling up a roll. “You did a really good job with all this, Applejack.”

“So ya keep saying,” Applejack replied. “However, ah’m glad ya like it.” The sounds of quiet eating soon pervaded the table and it wasn’t long before the three of them had finished their meals.

==============================================================

It has been forever last I have felt this satisfied. Looking down, my stomach looks distended and I feel like I can barely move. Everything was good, salad included. And much to my surprise, it didn’t contain any grass. No grass! Just lettuce greens, apple slices and raisins! Mind you that eating corn on the cob without hands was a chore, but other than that? Wonderful. I let out a contented sigh. About that time, a plate of warm apple pie is slid in front of me.

“Got room fer dessert?” Applejack asks me.

“Urph...Keep feeding me like this A.J. and I’m going to get fat,” I reply in a jokingly manner. Holy crap, am I being jovial? Am I actually lightening up? Am I- a loud belch erupts from my mouth. The two of them look at me surprised. “Uhm...excuse me...”

“No need fer an excuse there, H.B.,” Applejack tells me. “Now ya ready fer that pie?”

I eye the slice of warm pie in front of me. Taking in a long smell, I can almost hear Pinkie’s voice giving a mouth watering description. “Come on! How could you -not- want this pie? With its wonderful sweet-tart still warm apples, the complex interplay of cinnamon and spices, that buttery crumbly homemade crust!? What pony could resist?!” I want to roll my eyes at that last little bit. She had me up util that last part. “Darn it, Pinkie. ‘Who could resist?’ would have been better. Still, there is a bit of room for pie...” “Yeah, I have a little room left,” I reply, reaching forward to taste that pie.

==============================================================

Heh, they never can resist one of Granny’s pies.” Applejack thought as Heartbreak finished it off. The pony chewed and swallowed rather slowly, either as a means to savor the dessert or because she just got done with what was even on the farm, a generous meal. “Right then, now that we have her all tuckered out on a good meal, ah might get a few things answered.”

“Alright, now I’m stuffed,” Heartbreak said, licking her lips from any remnants of pie.

“Good ta hear!” Applejack replied. “Big Mac, ya mind cleaning up the the table?”

“Nope,” He replied, picking up plates one at a time off the table. Heartbreak eyed him nervously as he did so, almost as if she expected him to do something.

“So,” Applejack began. “Are you still set on sleeping in the barn tonight?”

“I said that I was,” Heartbreak replied quietly.

“And ah asked if ya still intended to,” Applejack said frowning a bit.

“Yes, I still think that is for the best, Applejack.” Heartbreak finally said after a moments worth of thought.

A surprised whinny came from Big Mac as he almost fumbled a plate. He quickly put the dish into the sink with the rest of them. “Would you excuse me, ladies? Ah need to take care of...something,” He said.

“Not at all there, Mac,” Applejack replied watching for him to leave. As soon as he did, Applejack’s expression changed. “Ya had ta bring up the doll?”

Heartbreak coughed and rubbed her ankle looking really uncomfortable. “I-I didn’t mean to, it was just I was getting really uncomfortable, and he was staring at me and-”

“Hold up and stop right there,” Applejack said. “Ah get it, you’re sorry. But ya with all that knowledge up in that head of yers, ya need to think about what yer guna say before ya say it!”

Heartbreak looked down. “I know that, A.J., I even wrote it down.”

“Well, maybe ya oughta start-” Applejack began.

“I know, Applejack!” Heartbreak blurted out.

“Hey now! There’s no need fer any shouting!” Applejack said sternly.

Heartbreak rubbed her temples. “I-I know, it’s just...hard. And it shouldn’t be this hard. I know I shouldn’t have mentioned Smartie-” Heartbreak saw the unnerved expression on Applejack’s face as she almost said the name. “I mean...the doll. But I caught myself doing it! I felt bad about it! I apologized to Mac about it, told him I was saying stupid things and was acting stupid, and that I really didn’t mean to act that way. I was just frustrated, tired and most likely hungry.” She looked up at Applejack. “You know what he told me?”

“What’s that?” Applejack asked.

“He told me that I was giving the right speech to the wrong p-p-pony,” she replied. “And I agreed.”

“Ma brother is like that,” Applejack replied. “Course ya know that already.”

“Yes,” Heartbreak replied. “He has a simple wisdom and understanding of things.”

“Ya ever gona explain how ya know any of this?” Applejack asked.

Heartbreak sighed. “Nope.”

“Right, and yer still set on sleepin’ in the barn tonight?” Applejack asked.

“I think it would be for the best, A.J., I made your brother uncomfortable and did something wro-” Heartbreak began.

Applejack frowned. “Stop. Right. There. Now look, ah understand that yer situation is difficult. But ya need ta stop makin’ it more difficult fer yerself than ya need to.” She looked at Heartbreak, the mare only looked away. “Hey! Look at me!” Applejack commanded, Heartbreak looked back. “Right, as it stands, ya haven’t done anythin’ wrong short of us havin’ some misunderstandin’s. And the barn is place for actual punishments. Not fer this ‘beatin’ up on yerself fer somethin’ that ya couldn’t control,’ nonsense.”

“But I-” Heartbreak began.

“No ya didn’t,” As Applejack rolled her eyes, she spied the clock. It was already getting close to her bedtime and she had to be up early. “Look, yer not sleepin’ in the barn tonight. And that’s that, end of story. Maybe tamarrow will be a different matter,” she said, getting up from the table. “So tonight, yer gonna be sleepin’ in that nice warm bed we so generously provided fer ya.”

Heartbreak sighed in frustration over some unseen conflict. “Fiiiiiiiiiiiine,” she finally said in surrender. “I’ll obey el’ capitan.”

Applejack paused near the kitchen door. “Right. This needs to be said. Heartbreak, ah’m sure ya know a lot about us Apples. We’re kind, honest folk, with a decent work ethic. And we’re all about helpin’ other ponies in need.” She paused and sighed. “But our hospitality only extends so far. If yer not wantin’ or willin’ ta take our help, then we’ll have no choice but ta move on. Ya understand?”

Heartbreak sighed and looked down. “Yes Applejack.”

“Alright then. Now, ah’m gonna turn in. And ah suggest ya do the same shortly. We gotta be up early ta pick up ma cousin,” Applejack said tiredly.

“Okay Applejack,” Heartbreak replied. She sat at the table quietly for a moment as Applejack started to walk towards the stairs. “Applejack?”

Applejack turned. “Yes’m?”

“Uhm, thanks for the dinner, it was really good,” Heartbreak said quietly.

“Yer mighty welcome,” Applejack replied before turning back the hall and heading upstairs.

PreviousChapters Next