• Published 14th May 2017
  • 1,845 Views, 8 Comments

A Dash of Twilight - 21latenighter



A story about Rainbow pursuing her crush on Twilight.

  • ...
8
 8
 1,845

The coronation

Rainbow's mind was racing as she watched the newest Alicorn princess, Twilight Sparkle walking up the aisle to receive her crown. She was one of her best friends, but lately she had been feeling something more about the now Alicorn. Every time she had tried to act on those feelings however, she would chicken out.

She winked as Twilight looked her way, encouraging her friend. As Twilight began to deliver her speech, Rainbow just stared with stars in her eyes, unaware that she herself was being watched.

Dash felt a nudge from her right from Applejack as Twilight ended her speech.

"I reckon that's enough gawkin, unless'n yer gonna do somethin bout it," Aj whispered as Dash's face went crimson red.

"What are you talking about?" Rainbow asked, trying to act oblivious as Aj chuckled.

"Oh, just you still thinkin you still got a chance with her.."

"And you do!?" Rainbow answered in a barely audible tone.

Their conversation had caught the ear of Rarity, who had had enough.

"Really girls!" She growled through her teeth, "This is Twilight's day, at least let her have it in peace!"

"Sorry Rarity.." Rainbow whispered.

Their conversation had also caught the ear of Princess Celestia, who gave a curious smile to the arguing ponies before returning her attention back to the crowd, who cheered for her former student.

After the ceremony, Rainbow caught herself staring again. This time was at the reception, where Twilight was greeting the noble and elite of Canterlot. Twilight's eyes met rainbow's for a quick second before Dash averted her gaze to the ground.

Twilight gave a soft smile to the Pegasus before returning her attention to the noble in front of her.

"Come on Rainbow, don't chicken out now!" Rainbow thought as she built up her confidence. "Hey Twilight, could I say something.... No, that won't work," she said as she took a step across the floor towards the alicorn. "Maybe something cool, no that won't work either.. maybe if I could.."

"Ahem," came Rarity's voice as the marshmallow white unicorn stopped her. "Really Rainbow, I'm going to tell you this politely because your my friend, but step off and walk away, today isn't the day..." she said sternly.

"I-I... uh... oh you're right Rarity, who am I kidding here, I could never get her to like me.." Rainbow said as she turned away from her crush and walked out to one of the many balconies of the castle, followed by Rarity.

As Rainbow reach the railing, she plopped down and looked up to the night sky, looking for an answer.

"What am I supposed to do Rarity?" She asked as she seen a star shoot across the sky, silently making a wish upon it. "My mom... she always told me to follow my heart, but I never thought it would lead me to Twilight.."

Rarity sighed as she set down gently beside the sad Pegasus. "Well darling, our hearts can lead us astray sometimes, believe you me," she said as she herself gazed at a small constellation. "But, in your case dear, I believe you should go for it, only not today Rainbow, let Twilight enjoy herself today... what you're going to do is going to rock her world, and here is not the proper time nor place darling.." Rarity said as she got back up to her hooves and turned to renter the party.

"Are you coming?" She asked as stopped in front of the door.

"I-I'll be in in a few minutes," Rainbow answered as she looked to Rarity before returning her eyes to the moonlit sky.