• Published 11th May 2017
  • 1,080 Views, 83 Comments

The EK - Magi Tail Welkin



The Everfree Kingdom, small but very active. Life and laughs continued in Ponyville, not just for the Mane Six, but every-pony, old and new, living in Equestria’s newest nation. (Everfree Kingdom name by Jay the Brony/ Jay David.)

  • ...
4
 83
 1,080

PreviousChapters Next
Come in. Your Time is Up.

In the shadow of the Castle of Friendship stand a pretty little garden, one the Reverend Farthing set up as a community place, a little quiet area out of the way for any-pony not wanting to be at the park.

Today the Major and Porter walked about it in their uniforms and carrying a bunch of sacks. The Major pulled out his pocket watch “Look at the time.” He looked back to his Steward “Did you give Cold Steel my instructions?”

“Yes sir.” He said as they put their loads down “I told Steel to stay outside the gates to the Hall and wait for the platoon and then bring them here. I just hope they won’t be exhausted after matching to there and back again like that.”

The Major nodded “This evening’s platoon is an absolute mess up.”

“Good evening.” Said a voice. The two military ponies turned.

And elderly Earth Pony stallion. A pale greyish indigo colt with a feather duster cutie mark. Bushy and perhaps balding grey mane and tail. Dressed smarty in a waistcoat and light blue cravat.

Porter smiled “Good evening Mr Randolph. How are your employers doing?”

“Very well, very well. Mr Rich is certainly a lot healthier since he started the mobile shop, Mrs Rich has lessened her complaining. And Miss Diamond has started doing errands in the shop. Can I help you?”

The Major shook his head “No thank you no. I’m just waiting for my fellows.”

Randolph looked confused “I don’t need any help with the Vicar’s garden I always do it on my own.”

Porter spoke up “We’re not going to be doing any gardening Mr Randolph. The Major here is going to give us a lecture.”

“He’s not qualified to give a lecture on gardening. I’ve seen his garden, it’s in a terrible state.”

The Major frowned at the elderly butler “Badges, foxes and rabbits, that’s what wrong with my garden. And I’m not giving a lecture on gardening.”

“Well who is then?” He looked to Porter “You?”, the Steward smiled and shook his head “No, no of course not.”

“Well, don’t you at me. I’m not giving any lectures on gardening. Mind you I could, but I’ve got to do the Vicar’s greenfly.”

The Major rolled his eyes “I don’t want any-pony to give a lecture of gardening…”

Randolph interrupted “Well then, I can do a lecture on lots of things. Woodwork, cleaning out gutters,” he paused “I gave Prince Flash that one before he joined the Royal Guard. I also do lectures on, repairing scooters, I do a very good lecture on repairing scooters, gave the Vicar that one after the incident with his brakes.”

“Yes,” the Major nodded “thank you…”

“Restoring old picture frames, now there’s a dying art.”

Porter paused “Actually sir, some of the fames on the picture in the hall could do with touching up. The one around the Van Colt could definitely do with improving.”

The Major nodded “Not right now though Porter.”

Cold Steel’s voice faded into listening range as he and the rest of the platoon march into the garden.

Randolph blinked “They can’t go marching on the lawn, they’ll cut it to pieces!” he turned to the Castle and ran to the ground floor window of the Vicarage Wing “Mr Farthing?”

The Major looked to Porter “Go with him Porter.”

“Yes sir.” He followed Randolph to the window as the Reverend appeared at it “What’s the matter Mr Randolph? I’m very busy working on Princess Twilight’s special project.”

“The Major’s got a load of ponies marching about the garden and he wants me to give them a lecture on gardening.”

Porter laughed and put his shoulder on the elder pony’s shoulder “No Mr Randolph, you’ve got it all wrong. The Padre here has kindly said that we can use his garden.”

Farthing nodded “I did give them permission Mr Randolph, and the garden is free for public use, within reason of course.”

Randolph looked concerned “They’ll trample all over the flowerbeds.”

“I can see them quite clearly from my desk, so I’ll keep an eye on them. I’ll see they don’t do anything improper manner.”

Porter held up his hoof “We’re not going to do anything improper Padre.”

“We’ll, see that you don’t. After all, I’ve never so many ponies in the garden before, don’t know what to expect.” He turned away and returned to his desk.

The Major meanwhile arranged the platoon to sit on the grass, or for some off the older ones on the bench. “Right now, settle down every-pony. I must apologise for this unusual arrangement. But the Stable Hall is having its roof removed to release the bats, and then it’s being fumigated against woodborer beetles and termites. And as for the grounds, we’ve had an infestation of rabbits, as such Helmet Listener the poacher and Miss Fluttershy, with Mister Cipher’s help, are clearing the grounds of the warrens. So here we are.”

He looked to his side and Porter returned “What did the Padre say?”

“He says it’s alright as long as we don’t do anything improper.”, the Major frowned and glanced to the Reverend in the window and asked Porter “What does he mean by that?”

“I really have no idea sir. Apparently, he’s never had so many ponies in the Castle Garden before.”

The Major sniffed and muttered “I see.” He turned away from the window and addressed the Platoon. “Now, the subject of my lecture today, is fieldcraft.” Porter walked behind him and other to the sacks as he continued “Now the Everfree Guard has just been issued with Two-Pony Bivouac Tents.” He turned to Porter “Show the Platoon one will you Porter?”

With his magic, the sergeant pulled a folded up khaki cloth “A Two-Pony Bivouac Tent.” He proclaimed.

The rest of the platoon said nothing.

Major Fields cleared his throat “Now, the best way to test these out is to have a weekend camp. And I thought the best time to have that would be…”

Vigil interrupted him and said, “At the weekend.”

Major Fields stayed silent and glared at her before muttering “Thank you Vigil.”

“Permission to speak sir.” Steel called, “When you say a two-pony tent sir, it may be alright for two little ponies, but what about a tall pony, or a fat pony?”

“Yes alright, thank you Steel. I’ll sort out the sleeping arrangements.”

Caramel how sat down raised his hoof “I’m just asking if Sassaflash can come with and we can sleep together, she is my wife after all.”

The Major shook his head “This is a platoon exercise only. We don’t want to mix work with pleasure.”

Vigil leaned to Lucky Clover and muttered “He’s only saying that because Miss Grey’s gone back to her university.

Major Fields cleared his throat again to change subjects “Now, the advantage of these tents, it that they can be put up in the matter of a minute or so. I’ll show you.” He walked over the sacks and pulled out a pair of poles and a mallet. “Caramel?”

“Yes sir.” The yellow stallion said getting up, the Major gave the poles and the mallet to him “Bang these poles into the ground, will you?”

“Yes sir.”

Randolph watching this quickly went to the window “Mister Farthing!”

“Oh, for goodness sakes.” The Reverend muttered getting out the deck and walked to the window “What is it now Mister Randolph?”

“They’re banging poles in the lawn.”

“Oh really?” He groaned and called over “You’re behaving in an improper way Major Fields, no holes in the lawn, please.”

The Major rolled his eyes “This is ridiculous! How can I conduct a lecture under these conditions?”

“Excuse me sir.” Porter said, “If you got some-pony to hold the poles, then there wouldn’t be any holes.”, the Major nodded “That’s good thinking.” He turned to Caramel “Right, you hold one of the poles Caramel,” then he turned to Cold Steel “You hold the other one Steel.”

“Right sir, hold the pole.”, Caramel and Steel knelt as low as they could go and held the poles out at body length.

Meanwhile, the Major and Porter unfurled the tent itself, Fields continued the lecture “Once you’ve got the poles in the ground, all you should do, is throw the tent over them and fasten the pegs. And the whole thing’s done. The easiest thing.” The two commanding officers of the Home Guard flung the tent over the pair of Caramel and Steel.

The tent stood for a few seconds. One pole flew sideways. Then the other.

The Major turned to the others as the two stuck in the tent struggled to get themselves out, “Yes, well.” He said, “You get the general idea.”

Caramel and Steel stood up, the tent acting like a cloak. Caramel turned to Steel. The older solider shuddered and wailed as if scared, before coming to his senses and getting out.

The Major waited, “Right Caramel, tidy that up.”

Caramel took the poles from the ground and placed them inside the tent. Then he took the other end of the material and draped it around himself like a villainous cape before walking trudging over to the supply sack. Much to the amusement of the other platoon members.

Major Fields waited for him to return to the platoon. “Next aspect of fieldcraft I want to deal with, is living off the land.” He glanced at Porter “Got it out the box will you sergeant?”

As Porter took a mane-brush from the sack the Major continued “Now, I want you to imagine we’ve been invaded and pushed to the open country in guerrilla warfare. Our supply lines are cut off. We are starving and we have to comb the land for food.”

Vigil raised her hoof and questioned “With a mane-brush?”

“With a…” the Major stopped and glanced to Vigil, then back to Porter “Tell the Platoon what that is Sergeant.”

“A hedgehog.”

Caramel raised his hoof “Major? Why do you want Sergeant Porter to comb is mane with a hedgehog?”

“We’re going to eat the hedgehog.” The Major specified.

A good number of the platoon cringed and Waddle voiced these concerns “Sir, I don’t think I could bring myself to eat a poor little hedgehog. I don’t think we ponies have the stomach for them.”

“May I remind you to imagine this is war Padre. Ponies have done worse in the most desperate of situations. According to witness testimonies of the Raft of the Medusa some resorted to cannibalism.”

Almost the entirety of the platoon cringed, and many looked unwell.

Porter asked “How do you know you can eat hedgehog? Have you ever eaten on sir?”

“No, I haven’t eaten one personally, but it’s well know that they are very good to eat, Lord Spectre told me many of the carnivorous citizens of the Hollow Shades eat them all the time.”

Cold Steel spoke up “Supposing as you say, our supplies have been all cut off. And you come rolling down the road and speak to us all causal and say, ‘Well fellows, were going to have hedgehog for supper’ you say, and we go out and there aren’t any hedgehogs. Why? Cause the citizens of the Hollow Shades have eaten them previously.”

The Major chuckled “I think you entering the realms of fantasy again Steel. You have no need to worry, there are always plenty of hedgehogs to go around.”

Vigil interrupted him and said sternly “Not in early spring.”

The Major sniffed “Having caught our hedgehog, we then have to cook it. Now, here’s a little trick to know about cooking hedgehog. Caramel.”

Said stallion stood up as the Major ordered him to “Hold your hooves out in front of you, would you?”, Caramel reared up on his hindlegs while the Major took out a tin box, he then poured a thick brown sludge onto his hooves.

Caramel blinked before asking “Major? Why have your put mud all over my hooves?”

“All in good time.” He took the pseudo-hedgehog from Porter and placed it on top of the mud. “You wrap the hedgehog in the mud.” He nodded to Caramel. The yellow stallion paused took a chunk from the bottom and slapped it on top, spilling some and nearly hitting the Major.

The Major waited as the mud settled before continuing “Then you roll it into a ball, then you put it in the embers of a fire and bake it until the mud is hard. Then you break off the mud, the bristle of the hedgehog come away with it, and there’s you hedgehog done to a turn. Every-pony get the idea?”

Then all nodded, however still unsure about the whole eating an animal deal.

Major Fields looked to Caramel “Clear it up Caramel.”

“But Major, I wasn’t…”

“Don’t argue with your superior office Caramel. Go clean yourself up.”

As Caramel walked away the Major turned to Porter “Porter start building a fire, will you?”

“Yes sir.”, the Major looked to Cold Steel and ordered him to help.

Meanwhile, Caramel went to a nearby statue of a mare. He splatted the lump of mud on the mane. Draw a moustache and beard on her. But then, he hesitated tried to find a place on the statute to wipe his hooves. Torso, no. Rear, no. He settled for her forelegs.

He then sat back in his place.

Lucky leaned down and asked “Why were you being so awkward? Haven’t you grasp those areas of Sass by now?”

Caramel blushed “Of course I have, just the idea of touch another mare like that, it would make me feel unfaithful.”, a few of the platoon rolled their eyes, looked confused or chuckled.

Randolph watched Porter and Steel building up a small pile of wood on a metal base and quickly went to the window “Mr Farthing!”

The Reverend almost snapped his pencil down as he stood up.

Randolph pointed “There setting fire to your lawn!”

The Major called over “We’re not going to light it Padre, it’s only a demonstration.”

Farthing sighed “Now look here Mr Randolph, if you disturb me once more I shall get very cross indeed. If Major Fields does anything else he shouldn’t do just deal with it yourself.”

The Major turned back to the Platoon “Here’s a tip for lighting the fire if the wood should be damp.” He took a small vile of liquid “You can simply make it go, by pouring crossbow oil all over it.” He demonstrated. “Also, if there happens to be a very strong wind bellowing you can overcome that by light three matches at once.”

He took a matchbox. “Caramel?”

The yellow stallion glanced to the others and muttered “I feel like I’m in detention.”, a few chuckles rumbled through the platoon as he stood up.

The Major gave him the box “Now, I don’t want you to light the fire, you understand. Don’t light it under any condition. All I want you to do is go through the motions.”

“Yes sir.”, Caramel picked about the box to get three matches. He knelt beside the woodpile, “Don’t light the fire?” he asked, Major Fields nodded in confirmation, he struck the trio of matches. The large flame brunt his fur. He dropped them.

The oil caught fire.

Randolph took a bucket “I’m not having that!” He chucked the water out onto the wood and all over Caramel.


A few weeks later the platoon set up their weekend camp in a field, near the main river into Ponyville, near the borders of the Everfree Kingdom.

The tents in a neat straight line, the Three T parked next to them and the platoon flag flying.

Most of the platoon took part in a kit fit exercise, with the Major acting as instructor of course. Reverend Waddle, Vigil and Zecora stood be a portable stove making the dinner.

Vigil peeled the last potato and put it in the bucket “That’s the lot.”, Zecora took the bucket and poured the spuds into the stove, the water steamed. Vigil then spoke up “Put the salt in Padre.”

“I’ll put in thirty-one pinches, that’s one for every member.” He slowly counted them out.

At three Vigil lost patience and grabbed the bag “Don’t be so namby-pamby! Tip it in.” And she patricianly poured the entirety of bag in.

Meanwhile the Major called halt on the last exercise and slowly controlled his breathing “This is the life, eh? Feel that fresh air getting into your lungs.” He then gave a spluttering cough. “Running the stop! Commence! One, two, three, four. Left, right. Left, right. Keep them at it Porter, I going to see how the supper getting along.” He ran, at the same pace to the camp cooks.

Vigil looked up “Oh? Here comes the Major poking his noise in.” The other turned while Zecora stirred the spuds, the undertaker continued with a small chuckled “Look at the old fool, he’s gone purple, if he keeps this up he’ll burst a blood vessel.”

Major Fields came up and continued running on the spot “How’s the vegetable stew coming along?”

Waddle answered, “Ready in about half an hour sir, we’ve just put the potatoes on.”

“Good, good. I hope there’s enough to go around, we’re all starving.”

Vigil smirked “It’s a good thing we not having to rely on hedgehogs. I haven’t seen one at all.”

“Alright Vigil alright. Just carry on cooking.” The Major then returned to the platoon “Right, halt!”, every-pony stopped and stood exhausted, some looked ready to collapse. The Major carried on “Deep breath in.”

Porter then looked up to the road “Excuse me sir?”

“Yes Porter?”

“The Mail Coach is coming up the road.”

The Major turned around and frowned.

Indeed, the purple wooden coach came trundling up the road. Naturally with Cipher and Riolu on the roof seat, but also Fluttershy, Miss Cheerilee and Big Mac.

The Major’s brow wrinkled “What are they doing here? Come with me Porter.”

“Yes sir.” And the two ran to the Mail Coach as it stopped. The quintet of four ponies and a Jakhowl got down from the roof and the Major barked at them “Turn back at once, we’re camping here.”

Miss Cheerilee scowled “And so are we. We have as much right as you.”

Porter cleared his throat “Does seem a little odd, four grown ponies camping together.”

Cipher, Fluttershy and Big Mac all blushed slightly while Cheerilee continued “It’s not just us. We’ve brought a number of my class for a camping trip.”

“You what?” Major Fields blustered out.

From one of the windows First Base, followed by the CMC stuck their heads out. From the other came the heads of Rumble, Button Mash, Tender Tap and Pipsqueak, finally in the spare space came a blue filly, an Earth Pony called Archer.

The Major turned back to Cheerilee “Now look here Miss Cheerilee, I’m in command of a bunch of highly trained ponies on active service. How can I be expected to maintain discipline with a bunch of foals mucking about all over the place?”

Miss Cheerilee scowled again “For your information Major, my students don’t muck about all over the place, they are also very well behaved, and with First Base, the younger brother to your commanding officer may I remind you that’s sure to remain so. My mind if made up, this is a free country and we will camp whenever and wherever we feel like it.”

Big Mac nodded determinedly “Yep!”

She turned to Cipher and pointed to the free end on the field near a small forest “We’ll camp over there.”, the Changeling Prince nodded and fluttered up to the seat. He flicked the reins and the Mail Coach rolled passed the Home Guard while the three adult ponies followed.

Porter turned to the Major “What are we going to do now sir?”

“We’ll just have to deal with it. Best thing is to ignore them. Come on let’s go have our supper.” As they started walking back to their tents Porter started chuckling.

“What are you sniggering at?”

“A thought just occurred to me sir. If we had been having hedgehogs from supper and Miss Cheerilee decided to have hedgehogs for supper as well. Well, there wouldn’t be any of them left for them because we’d have eaten them all.”

The Major just looked at him and blinked. Then he rolled his eyes and shook his head.


Steel dropped his spoon onto his plate “That was a very nice veg stew, very tasty, very sweet.”

The Major swallowed before commenting “It seems a bit salty to me.”

Porter looked up at the sky “It really is a most beautiful evening.”, Major Fields nodded “Yes. Pity about the foals, here we are, a bunch of comrades camping out under the stars and all spoilt by those kids swarming about all over the place.”

“Right Pipsqueak.” Cheerilee called out “Get every-pony out.”

The platoon turned to see the teacher and her diminutive Trottingham student dressed in stereotypical pirate costumes. Said colt saluted “Aye Captain!” He ran to the foal’s tent and ordered “All hooves on deck!”

The Major frowned in annoyance “Now what are they up to?”

The foals assembled out the tent all in pirate costumes, complete with wooden swords.

Waddle smiled “Oh look. They’re going to play pirates. How nice.”

Cheerilee gave the order “Out to the water and host the Jolly Roger!”, the foals cheered as they all went to the raft, made from planks and barrels and dressed up to look like a pirate galleon.

The Major shook his head “This is absurd.”

From the tent parked next to the Mail Coach, Cipher and Fluttershy walked out. The Changeling walked up to the Major “How’s everything is evening?”

Major Fields scowled “You’ve done this deliberately, haven’t you Cipher? You brought those foals all this way to upset my camp.”

Cipher scowled himself “For what reason would I want to upset your camp Major? You and Sergeant Porter have been great help to me, you were the first to welcome me to Ponyville, not to mention my tuba lesson, and me and Riolu help recover your collection of tin soldiers. Miss Cheerilee hired out the Mail Coach and I thought,” he said leaning into Fluttershy “why don’t I spend the weekend with my fiancée.”

They paused as Big Mac helped push the raft off the bank and the foals started sing Drunken Sailor as they began rowing the raft up stream. The Apple Stallion then went to join the others.

The Major returned to Cipher and Fluttershy “This is just a waste of time. Miss Cheerilee is meant to teach those foals, thus allowing them to contribute to the society of the Everfree Kingdom.”

Big Mac cleared his throat “Actually Major, this is to help the Kingdom.”

“How so?”

“Their rehearsing for next Saturday. They’re going to take the raft down to the town to collect bits for Twilight’s special project.”

Porter raised an eyebrow “What is this special project the Princess is making?”

“Um,” Fluttershy whispered, “it’s a secret until Twilight’s ready to say.”

The Major sighed and order “Just ignore the foals every-pony.”


Vigil stood guard by the Three T. Being a Bat Pony she often served as a night guard.

Usually, she simply patrolled the sleepy little town she called home, but tonight. Her more sensitive hearing meant she heard every snore from all thirty of the platoon. It tried her patience, a definite understatement. They sounded as bad as the engine of the Three T.

A weird buzzing filled the air. As Vigil took note of it, she found herself to not be alone in the discovery.

Cipher came running from his tent looking very worried and angry “Do you here that?”

“Yeah? What is it?”

“Changelings wings.”, Vigil turned to him “Night flying Changelings? You don’t think?”

“What else?”, the Bat Pony nodded and went to the tent nearest to her, the Major and Porter’s and whispered “Major? Major!”, with no response she processed to kick the tent. The Major crawled out of his side of the tent, followed by Porter, the commanding officer frowned at her and glanced to Cipher “Vigil? Cipher? What in Equestria do you think you’re…

“Major listen!” she softly yelled. The two officers paused heard the buzzing “What in Luna’s name is that?”

Cipher whispered, “Changelings flying close by.” He paused and turned slightly “And it sounds like their coming this way.”, the four of them stopped and gazed into the moonlight sky.

Vigil’s hoof went to the Major’s shoulder and she pointed with her wing “There they are Major!”

Three silhouettes passed the stars, they carried something. The Major glanced to Cipher “They Reformed Cipher?”

The Changeling Prince shook his head and scowled “Look at the holes in their legs. There under Her Tragedy’s hoof. And their wing buzzing gives off an off notes sound, their enemy alright. And it looks like their doing a robbery.”

Vigil narrowed her eyes “Doesn’t look like they’ll go far. One of them looks hurt.”

Indeed, one of the three struggled to fly, one wing kept stopping and stuttering in its attempt to keep its owner aloft, it appeared broken.

The Major hummed “There’s nothing we can do about them. We’ll get Doctor Time Turner to set up his radio and send a message in the morning. For now, let’s go back to sleep.”, they nodded, Cipher and Porter returned to their tents while Major Fields looked to the Bat Pony mare “Well done Vigil.”

She smirked “Thank you sir.”, and the Major went back to bed.

Vigil stayed awake until dawn.


Morning came.

The Major got out of his tent ready for a cold towel wash. As he put his cap on, he heard movement for the foal’s tent and turned around.

First Base, his mane a little messy stepped out onto the field with a small brass bugle on his back.

The Major blinked walked over “Are you going to sound a Reveille Master First Base?”

The colt nodded “I joked with Flash about it when Dad mentioned it. I started practicing in my spare time.”

“So, is this your first proper Reveille?”, he nodded “I’m a bit nervous.”, the Major chuckled “I’ve known a few young bands-pony who’ve said such things, most turned out decently.”

“Yeah, but am I most?”

“Only one way to find out.”

First gulped. He took the brass horn in his hoof and pressed it to his lips.

The Major held his ears.

First finished and turned unsurely. The Major cleared his throat “Not the worst I’ve heard, at least you played every note. But, I would stick to sports if I were you First.”

The colt gave a sad smiled and walked a back into the tent.

Major Fields meanwhile, stretched the crick in his neck out in a series of clinks. He looked out at the slow water of the river and paused.

A black shape floated on the surface.

He took out a pair of binoculars from the Three T and went for a better look at the object. His eyes widened at what he saw and he shouted at the top of his voice “TURN OUT! TURN OUT THE GUARD!” He pulled his tunic on and added “Crossbows and spears at the ready!”

The platoon and the, uninvited guest campers, all rushed out of their tents.

Porter came rushing to his side and gave the Major is katana “What in Equestria is the matter sir?”, the Major pointed to the object in the water and gave him the binoculars. The Sergeant took them and blinked “Are those the…”

“I suspect so.” The Major glanced to the rest of the Platoon and explained about the recon last night “…They must have been carrying that rubber dingy.” He glanced to a wide-eyed Time Turner and a grim-faced Cipher “Doctor Turner, get you radio working and get a message to the Royal Guard.”

“Yes sir.” And he ran to the Three T.

Cold Steel started jumping about “There’s enemy Changelings on the water! Don’t Panic! Don’t Panic! Don’t Panic!” He fiddled with is half dressed tunic and his spear at the same time “We need to capture them sir!”

The Major nodded “You’re right Steel.”

Porter glanced at Steel then to the Major “I don’t think even you can walk on the water, can you sir?”

“Of course not. Porter use a volume spell and order them in.”, the Steward nodded and charged his horn, her then shouted out, the spell increasing it further “Attention Changelings, you are ordered to surrender. Come to the shore immediately.”

The trio remained still.

Vigil pointed this out “They’re not taking a blind bit of notice.”

Next to him, Waddle looked worried “Oh dear. You don’t think they’re dead?”

“Of course not.” Vigil growled “They’re sitting upright.”

Porter looked to the Major “Why bother with them sir? Why not just let them sit out there and wait? They’ll have to come in sooner or later.”, Major Fields looked at him “Use your intelligence Porter. As soon as it’s dark they can slip ashore and we’d have to comb the entire countryside for them.” He paused and tutted “Alright, they’ve asked for it.” He called over the Cheerilee “Get the foal away Miss Cheerilee, there’s going to be some shooting!”

Cheerilee’s eyes widened and she, Big Mac and Fluttershy rushed the foals and Riolu into the trees. Big Mac then joined the platoon as stood next to Cipher. “Might need extra strength.”

The Major nodded “Good fellow.” He glanced to Porter “You’re the best shot. Fire a shot over their heads.”

“Right sir.” Porter levitated his crossbow pistol and fired.

The arrow sailed over them, nearly grazing the horn of one of the trio. Even still, they remained motionless. Porter blinked “You’ve got to admire their courage sir.”

The Major glanced at him “Let’s not hear any of that sort of talk Porter, their just stupid, any of Chrysalis’s Changelings are.”

Caramel stepped up beside him “If we can’t get them to come to us, why don’t we go out to them? We could use the foal’s pirate raft and make them surrender.”

The Major smiled “That’s good thinking Caramel. Vigil, Padre, Zecora, you stay on the shore, the rest of number one section with me and Sergeant Porter.”

Cipher ran up with them “For all we know sir, they could be from a new hatching. They might not know Equestrian; her Tragedy might have limited their lives further by not teaching them.”

The Major hummed unsure “That would explain why they didn’t react to Porter’s orders, but how then are we going to communicate with them?”

Cipher cleared his throat and pointed to himself “I’ll come aboard sir, I can definitely speak their language.”, the Major nodded cautiously and the group scurried onto the raft.

Porter then asked “What happens if they’re armed sir? Two of them have horns they might know magic attacks!”

“We’ve got overwhelming firepower Porter, we can puncture they’re dingy.”

Cipher nodded “No Changeling I know can swim, it a problem with become insect like.”

On the banks Vigil glanced to Waddle “They’re headed for disaster, sheer disaster.”

Lucky Clover and Steel took hold of the oars as Big Mac pushed them boat from the shore. The Major looked to Porter and Caramel as he took the tiller for the rudder “Keep them covered.”, they nodded. Cipher stood between them, thus at the head of the raft, he made himself tall and proud befitting his title.

Porter frowned “I don’t know what’s the matter with them sir, they seem to be taking no notice of anything.”

The Major nodded “I’ve never seen such surly looking brutes. Cipher tell them to surrender in the name of the Princesses…”

“And King Thorax.”

“Yes, and him.”

Cipher nodded and started making a series of buzzing and clicks.

The trio of Changelings raised their forelegs up.

The Major nodded “Now tell them to come in.”, Cipher started up again with the Changeling talk.

On the banks Reverend Waddle looked to Fluttershy “What’s your fiancé saying?”

“He’s simply telling them to come in.”

Vigil with the binoculars “They’re still not taking a blind bit of notice. They just sit with their hooves up.”

Cipher tried again to no avail.

The Major grumbled “If there’s one thing I can’t stand its sulking opponents.”

Lucky looked up “Why can’t we just shot the dingy?”

“We can’t now Clover, we can’t fire at ponies with their hooves up and they know it. This is the penalty for being a sporting nation.”

“It’s really quite simple sir.” Porter said, “All we have to do is to attach a rope to the dingy and tow it to the shore.”

The Major nodded “Well done Porter, good to have ponies with initiative. Clover tie that end of the mooring rope to the raft. When we get near enough I want some-pony to tie the other end to the dingy.”

Cipher took hold of it “I’ll do it Major. Kind of my duty as a Changeling Prince to help those of my people in need, whether they like it or not.”

“Right, forward!”, Lucky returned to the oars and he and Steel made a fast and steady rowing session. Cipher climbed onto the bow.

As he came close the trio pulled out their own oar and rowed away. Cipher fell in.

On the shore Fluttershy screamed “NO! He’s going to drown!”

Riolu growled. His paws fisted. Aura covered him. Before any-pony could react, he ran like shot to the water. Jumped. Summersaulted. Dived down in between his splashing and gasping owner and the rouge Changelings. A yellow light glowed.

The water exploded!

Changelings, both Chrysalis and Reformed flew and landed on the shore.

Immediately ponies went to them. Fluttershy went to Cipher side. And the entirety of the platoon went to surround the trio of rouge Changelings with their spears and crossbows.

The Major and the other returned to the shore. Porter glanced at his superior “What a way to end this camp sir.”

“Yes, I never expected anything like this. Now we wait for a proper detachment of Royal Guards to come and collect them.”

Riolu emerged from the water and ran to hug Cipher. The drenched Prince Changeling smirked and rubbed the Jakhowl’s head “I’m definitely getting you a new bone.”, Fluttershy giggled and hugged him “Thank you for saving Cipher.” She rubbed her noise with his. The Jakhowl barked with a dreamy expression before licking both Cipher and Fluttershy.

The Major turned to Porter “That hound’s abilities are getting, interesting. We may have to be careful in future, Riolu’s but a pup, what will happen when he’s fully grown?”

“I really have no idea sir. But don’t you think you’re being a little foolish with your suggestion?”

“Maybe, but an officer has to prepare for every possible outcome. And right now, that Jakhowl is an anomaly.”

Riolu broke off from the engaged couple and walked up to the Major. He gave what could be describe as a salute, to which Porter chuckled, before collapsing.

As Cipher and Fluttershy, smiling, pick the pup up and took him to the tents, Porter chuckled again “I think whatever you’re think sir, is a long way away from happening.”

Major Fields chuckled too.

PreviousChapters Next