• Published 11th May 2017
  • 1,101 Views, 83 Comments

The EK - Magi Tail Welkin



The Everfree Kingdom, small but very active. Life and laughs continued in Ponyville, not just for the Mane Six, but every-pony, old and new, living in Equestria’s newest nation. (Everfree Kingdom name by Jay the Brony/ Jay David.)

  • ...
4
 83
 1,101

PreviousChapters Next
My Brother and I at the Wedding

Zecora and Mr Waddle walked about the Stable Hall with little to do.

The door the Major’s office opened and Sassaflash walked out “Oh, hello Reverend Waddle, Zecora.”, the two turned around and smiled, the Padre spoke “Hello Miss Sassaflash, is there anything we can do for you?”

“Well, I wanted to have a word with Caramel.”, Waddle frowned “I’m afraid he and the rest of the Platoon are on a march around the town, he’ll be some little time getting back here.”

“Oh, well I promised to write to him, I posted it in time for Cipher's evening round, but as I was passing I thought I’d put him out of his misery. Never mind, I just hope Cipher isn’t too busy tonight. Goodbye.”, they waved as she left then when back to milling about.

After a few minutes, they heard the Major calling out orders, the Platoon marched through the main door and halted, the Major called them to turn left, they did. Waddle and Zecora fell in, and then they stood at ease.

The Major leaned slightly and frowned “Where’s Caramel?”

“Permission to speak sir.” Cold Steel said going to attention “When we came into the High Street and you called for Right Wheel? Well, young Caramel failed to turn and went on marching in a forward direction, you see?”

Vigil nodded “He walked on with a silly grin on his face.”

The Major rolled his eyes. Caramel could be known for his clumsiness at time, but it rarely showed it on parade or on duty. He turned to Porter “Did you notice Sergeant.”

“Yes, I did sir.”

“Why didn’t you tell me?” he didn’t like his own second-in-command and Steward failing in his duty.

“Well, I didn’t want to upset you.”, the Major groaned, a proper Porter excuse.

Caramel then marched in from the main doors and, quite correctly, took his place in the ranks.

When he finished the Major asked “Where have you been Caramel?”

“I’m sorry Major, it’s just, I’m a little distracted today.”

“I see,” the last time such things happened the Major got roped into a bit of a mess, still it happened months ago, so hopefully things would be a little better since then. “Come and see me in the office. The rest of you fall out.”

The Major sat in his chair, Porter stood next to him and Caramel took the guest chair, the young stallion cleared his throat “Can we talk stallion to stallion sir?”

“Okay Caramel.”

“Well sir, have you noticed a spring in my step?”

“You do seem a bit livelier than usual.”

“And Porter do you see a glint in my eyes?”

“Well, now that you come to mention it you do look a little different.”, Caramel smiled and announced, “I am in love Major.”

“Yes Caramel, you’ve been dating Sassaflash for, how long?”

“Almost three years’ sir. Which I must ask, my I have your permission to get married?”

The Major smiled but frowned his eyebrows “It’s not really got anything to do with me Caramel, this is a civilian voluntary army. You don’t need my permission, you don’t even need Captain Sentry’s.”

“Please Major, just so I have the feeling.”

“Oh, very well if you want it, yes alright.”, Caramel smiled “Thank you sir.”

Porter asked, “Are you sure you want to marry her?”, Caramel gulped “To be honest, I’m tortured with doubt, I’m just a rodeo clown, I don’t know if that’s the life for a girl like her, a Pegasus as well, and what about starting a family? She says she loves my goofiness and clumsiness, but could she live with it?”

The Major nodded, Caramel did seem mature enough, asking the mature questions, so he asked, “When do you plan to marry?”

“I don’t know if she’ll have me.”

Porter frowned “You mean you haven’t asked her yet?”

“Oh, yes, I’ve asked her. I’ve also told Lucky, no doubt he’s telling the rest of the Platoon, I’m inviting them all the bachelor party, if I have one. I’m supposed to get her answer tonight in the evening post. Can I wait until Cipher comes? He knows I’m here tonight.”

“Oh, very well. I just hope he isn’t too long.”

Just then the outside door opened and Cipher walked in with a pair of letters in his magic “Two for the post this evening.” He said levitating one to the Major, then as he turned to the hall door he saw Caramel sitting in the chair looking worried and so gave it to him. Caramel’s hooves shook as he opened the letter and scanned it with his eyes. He closed the letter and leaned back with a distant face.

The three, Cipher included looked to each other.

Caramel spoke “I’m trying to keep calm Major.”

Porter spoke “Now don’t worry Caramel, it’s not the end of the world.”

“She’s a lovely mare.” He sighed “It’s not good I can’t be calm, I’m going break. She said she loved me you know. She said,” a smile crept on his face “yes.” Tears of joy fell from his eyes “I’m going to marry her!”

The others smiled. Caramel jumped out of the chair and ran to the door, opened it and ran into the hall shouted to all and sundry “I’m going to marry Sassaflash!”, he grabbed Lucky Clover, his housemate, in a mad embrace and jumped for joy. The rest of the Platoon crowded around in to congratulate him.

Porter chuckled as he closed the door “How wonderful, don’t you too agree sir?”

“Oh yes,” the Major said, “excellent news.”

Cipher nodded “I’ll spread the world through town. No doubt Pinkie will organise the hen night for Sassaflash, and Cheese Sandwich is still in town from the other day, he could probably get the bachelor party going. Well,” he went to the door “good evening gents.”

After the door shut the Major turned to his letter, it’s couldn’t be from Miss Grey, she rarely sent letters other than their weekly correspondence. Then he recognised the hoof-writing, he groaned.

“Something the matter sir.”

“I think yes Porter.” He opened the letter and read it through, his eyes narrowed and he gritted his teeth “What makes him think he can come here?”

“Who?”

The Major sighed put the letter down and looked straight at Porter “In the years we known each other Porter, I’ve never told you about my Brother, did I?”

“You have a Brother?”

“Yes, Sharp Fields, he’s my twin, the younger.”

“How come you never said anything about him before?”

“We’ve been estranged for several years.”

“Well, if he’s anything like you then he must be a real character.”

“He’s nothing like me Porter, but he is a character. And the sooner he’s away from Ponyville the happier I’ll be.” He sighed “It’s not that I ashamed of him, I mean we both had the same upbringing, he’s just let his talents go to waste.”

“What is his special talent?”

“Well, his profession is a travel sale-stallion, mainly of, novelty toys.”

“Really?”

“Yes. He took the easy way, no real responsibility, just travel around look as smart as you can to flog useless things. I wouldn’t be surprised if he knew the Flim-Flam Brothers.”

“I think you might be overexaggerating sir.”

“Maybe. Porter? I want you to think if you can, picture two colts, one popular, good at games, hail fellow we met. The other shy, lonely, standing in the corner of the playground, alone. That one was me. Later of course he was surrounded by fillies, the laughing crowd, you know, and I was left with my studies. But while he was busy playing his life away, I was getting a clear brain and sharp mind.”

Porter chuckled “So that’s why you take a cold bath every morning.”

“That way of life fitted me, and allow me to become what I was and what I am. If I’d been like Sharp, I may never have met you, or Miss Grey.”

“So, what’s he coming here for?”

“This,” he pulled from his tunic pocket a gold half hunter pocket watch, the hands turning as seen through the little window.

“You’re watch?”

“I told you it belonged to my father and I inherited it. Sharp was always at father’s side, ended up gaining some of his habits. He always like this watch, but I got it due to proper inheritance, but he’s never seen it like that, he thinks I’m a thief.”

“Oh, I see sir, when’s he coming?”

“It doesn’t say, it just says he’ll be here soon to settle this old dispute.”

“Well, perhaps you should explain this to some-pony, Princess Twilight perhaps, she could hold a small court to sort out the facts.”

“No, I can’t put this piety squabble before her, anyway, Sharp would think the verdict biased, since I such an important and respected figure in Ponyville. One thing I can tell you is he’s not getting this watch.”

“Yes, I can see why he would think that. We’ll just have to cross that bridge when we get to it. I mean we have Caramel’s wedding to help out.”, the Major smiled “Yes, let's give the colt our congratulation and good luck.”

“I couldn’t agree more sir.”


A few days later the Major and Porter was asked by Sassaflash to come and see her.

The Major rang the bell and her voice called out “Come in! The doors open just give it a push.”, they walked in a found themselves in an empty living room. The Major looked about “Miss Sassaflash?”

She came down from the stairs “Major? Mr Porter? Oh dear, it’s not six o’clock already?”

The Major checked his watch “6:02 to be precise.”, she turned around the wall clock “Oh, it must have stopped, I keep forgetting to join Time Turner’s subscription of clock checking. I am sorry, make yourselves at home gentle-colts I want be a second. I’m just making the tea and coffee. I’ll keep the door open.” She walked back “I hope you don’t mind coming to my little nest, it’s humble, but it’s all mine. My parents bought it for me, Father’s a Pegasus Guard and Mother’s a teacher at the Wonderbolt Academy.”

“Oh really?” The Major called “I didn’t know you came from a military family.”

“Oh yes, part of me wants to join the Everfree Guard. My time in the Mare’s Division of the Home Guard gave me some time to consider it. I would like to, but the weather team is a bit under staffed right now. Anyway, I wanted a moment to talk with you Major before the others arrive.”

“Others?”

“Oh, Lucky Clover and Lilac Links.” She walked in with the tray balance on her back and steadied by her wings “I imagine you must be wondering why I called you here.”

“Yes, we both are.”

“Well you see Major, I’ve always held you in the high regards, since Caramel joined the Platoon he’s grown up a little, I still love him faults and all, but had he not been in the Platoon I think I would refused his proposal.”

“Really?”

“Yes,” she put the tray on the table “I suppose I should beat about the bush, should I?”

“I wish you wouldn’t time is of the essence.”

“Well, you see, my Father is on a tour in the Dragon Lands, and I have no other male relations. You wouldn’t be willing to give me away at the wedding?”

“Well,” the Major said unsure, then Porter spoke “Surely if you want an authority figure, his Highness General-Captain Sir Flash Sentry is the best option, as the royal male figure he can be known as Father of the Kingdom.”, the Major looked at him a little annoyed “You don’t have to use Captain Sentry’s full title Porter.”

“I was only making a point sir.”, Sassaflash nodded “I suppose I should. But you wouldn’t mind stay while we discuss things?”

“Oh no,” the Major said, “not at all, we’ve got nothing to do today, do we Porter?”

“No sir.”

“Good.”, she smiled “Thank you.”

Just then a voice came from the door “Coe! Are you there?”, Sassaflash turned to the door “Come in Lilac.”, the Farrier at the Day Spa walked in and turned around “Come in Lucky.”, Lucky Clover walked in and stop “Good evening Sass, Major, Porter, you’re a bit early.”

“Oh no,” the Major said taking out his pocket watch “We were punctual for our appointment.”

Another voice came from the door “Hello? Sass?”, she smiled “Come in Caramel we’re all here.”, Caramel entered from the door and looked about “Hello every-pony. Shall we get down the business?”

They all sat down, Sass and Caramel next to each other and the other guest on the sofa, Porter standing by the Major.

Sass spoke “Me, Major Fields and Porter decided it would be better it Prince Flash acted as the Father of the Bride.” She turned to her fiancé “You don’t mind Caramel.”

“No, not at all.”

“Okay, Lilac has agreed to be Maid of Honour,” Caramel then spoke “And Lucky is going to be Best-Stallion, now Rarity’s making the dresses, but what about the stallions.”

“Well,” Caramel said, “I plan to wear my ceremonial uniform.”, she nodded “You’ll be so smart.” She turned to the others “I think every-pony who has a uniform should wear it, preferable ceremonial and with medals. For the rest, basically the best they can manage.”, they nodded. “Now then, what about the flowers?”


In the Stable Hall of Kimblewick Hall Caramel’s bachelor party went on. The stallions of the platoon and the town all drank and played games in merriment under the watchful eye of Cheese Sandwich, he did his best to keep it an organised chaos, which is why Discord wasn’t invited.

Mr Waddle spoke with Windy Miller, Porter and few other members of the Platoon, “Do you think we’ll have the pleasure of meeting Major Field’s brother?”

Porter shook his head “As a matter of fact I don’t.”

“Padre?” Windy said “For goodness sake, have you lost all your wits? The Major’s brother is the black sheep of the family, the skeleton in the cupboard.”

Cold Steel came over dressed in his full Second Regiment of Hoof ceremonial uniform, scarlet and black, including a black pith helmet, is medals shinning in the light. In his hoof a bunch of fake flowers “Permission to speak Sergeant?”

“Yes Porter?”

“I was at the door keeping guard when this pony with a resemblance to the Major clattered his way in backward, said "What a stupid place to out a fire bucket" and presented himself as Sharp Fields. Then he asked me if was a fancy-dress party.”

“WHAT!”, they all turned to see this stumbling Earth Pony stallion shaking hooves with Reverend Farthing and slurred said “Oh, it is a fancy-dress party, you’ve come as a vicar.” He laughed and pointed “Your collars on wrong, never mind.” He pulled out a cigar and gave it to him “Have an exploding cigar.”, and he walked off.

Caramel came running up “If he’s like this then I don’t want him at the wedding, we’ve got to do something.”

“Alright,” Porter said, “I’ll talk with him.”

“Where’s the Major.”

“He’s escorting Captain Sentry, and North Sentry here.” He walked over to where Sharp Fields looked for the drinks “Nothing be flowery sandwiches.”

“No, the groom doesn’t want every-pony drunk at the wedding. You’re Green Field’s younger brother?”

“Only by about half-an-hour, and who are you?”

“I’m Porter, his Military Steward and butler of Kimblewick Hall.”

“Butler eh? Old Po-face has really gone up in the world, hasn’t he? Then he can afford a new watch.”

“A new watch?” Porter smirked as an idea came to him. Sharp tapped him on the shoulder “I’m going to the little colt’s room for a moment, when Po-face arrives come and get me, there’s a good butler.”

Porter returned to the other and explained his idea, Time Turner nodded and added an idea of too before heading into the Major’s office.

Then the Major and the Sentry males arrived. Porter came over and whispered into the Major’s ear, the older officer’s eyes widened, he turned to Flash “I’m sorry sir, but I urgently needed, something’s happened down in the Hall itself.”, his superior nodded and they, plus some of the Platoon went into the office.

They came out a few minutes later with a moveable cupboard and went into the bathroom, the Major went back to the office.

Sharp sat plastered, Porter spoke “Mr Fields, we’re going to have a parlour game now, would you mind stepping into this cupboard.”

“Oh, like sardines?” He stood up and as they shut the door he poked his head out “You’re not going to cut me in half, are you?”, they locked it and tried to lift it. Only for Sharp to walk out hold the back panel of the cupboard “Who’s the next one in then?”

Porter reached for a hammer and some nails, they put Sharp back down and repaired the cupboard. They then pulled him up and back to the cupboard “My turn again, is it?”, they put him inside, locked it and tried to lift it again. Only for the bottom to break off, and his back hooves stuck out.

Lucky looked at them “Lilac would flip if she had to sort out that pair.”

Porter groaned “Let’s get him out.”, as soon as Sharp got out he said, “Which floor is this then?”


Reverend Farthing spoke with Flash and the pair looked to the bathroom, Mr Waddle came up and added a small bit, the younger stallions frowned.

The Major and Time Turner came out of the office just as Porter and the others came out with the repaired cupboard, Porter passed Flash and explained “We needed the cupboard the help with the problem, but it needed repair.”

“Well,” Flash said, “I hope you sort this trouble out fast.”, the Major and Porter glanced at each other and they quickly rushed out.

Once outside and closer to the main hall they let Sharp out. Sharp looked at Green and smiled “Hello Po-face,” he turned to Porter “your butler has a really weird way of getting ponies about. Anyway, about the watch?”, the Major glanced at Time Turner and the doctor gave Sharp a golden half hunter pocket watch. Sharp grinned and put it in his pocket “Dad always wanted me to have it.”

“Well,” the Major said, “now you have the watch will you go.”

“Oh yes, need to get back traveling. I don’t think we’ll meet again.”

“I don’t think so. Goodbye Sharp.”

“Goodbye, Po-face.” And Sharp stumbled down to the gates and back to Ponyville.

Cold Steel sighed “What a pity, that was a lovely watch Major, why’d you let such an unsavoury character like him have it?”

Porter, the Major and Time Turner chuckled, and the Major pulled a watch out of his pocket “Sharp got a golden half hunter, but not the one that belong to Father.” He turned to Porter “Well done on the initiative Porter,” then to the doctor “And excellent work making the copy of the watch.”, Time shrugged “I keep spare parts with me sir.”

Lucky cleared his throat “Let’s re-join the party, got a long night and day ahead of us.”

“Good idea Clover.” The Major said, and the all re-entered the hall.


Spike patted Twilight’s shoulder “Just breath Twilight.”

“Sorry Spike, it’s just I’m really nervous, I’ve never done a wedding before.” Her fore hoof went to the bump in her abdomen “What happens if I get a mood swing in the middle of the ceremony? What if I mess up some other way.”

“Twilight,” Spike said “Twilight, you’re being too hard on yourself. Caramel and Sassaflash understood this was your first wedding when they asked you, they know and knowing them they won’t hold it against you. And Cadance and Mayor Mare told you how to do it. You’ll be fine.”

She gave a happy sigh “Thanks Spike.” She hugged her number one assistant. He let go and walked to the steps “We should probably take our positions. I think Bride and Groom are almost ready as well."

Twilight took another deep breath. "Alright. I can do this, I can do this…" She said to herself, boosting her morale. She touched the bump on her belly “Behave in there, do it for Mommy.” She smiled to herself and slowly walked to the entrance hall.

Light conversation in the audience got silenced as Twilight walked in, cleared her throat and spread her large wings, effectively capturing everyone's attention.

“Friends, comrades, brothers and sisters…” She began the speech.

Peaking in through the gap in the door Sassaflash bit her lip. Flash in his full ceremonial uniform, including the sash and badge of the Order of Royal Knights and a finely polished helmet, walked up beside her “Ready?”

“Um, yes.” She said meekly. He chuckled “Twilight said she was just a nervous on our wedding day, I bet Caramel is just as nervous as me standing up there.”

The music started, most the unofficial Ponyville Village Band, Octavia and Vinyl, Spike and Cipher, plus a few more musical ponies in town.

The door opened and Flash took Sass’s hoof.

She took a few steps, and decided to look around. To her pleasant surprise, she got get warm smiles from the audience. They all scanned her up and down, looking at her dress. She looked down in front of her to see the three fillies bounding while throwing flower petals onto the ground, smiles on their faces.

Sass looked to Caramel. He seemed to be looking towards the ground in nervousness, but as soon as he looked up and met Sass’s eyes, his eyes grew wide.

She now smiled, feeling secure in his glance. Her worries suddenly vanished. After today, the two will be together forever through the bonds of marriage.

They reached the front of the room and Flash gave Sass over of Caramel before turning to stand beside Lucky Clover.

Twilight smiled at Flash then to Sass, then looked to Caramel before the music cut off. “We’re gather here today to join Caramel and Sassaflash in marriage, they have enjoyed a beautiful and lasting relationship, sticking together and filling in the pieces missing from each other.

“All of you have come here to observe this union, watching their relationship progress.” She looked to every-pony, taking another breath. “Without further ado, Caramel, will you accept this mare as your lawfully wedded wife?”

He smiled. “I will,” he said, earning a bright smile from Sassaflash, who was now lost in his eyes.

“And Sassaflash, will you accept this stallion as your lawfully wedded husband?”

This brought her back into reality. She broke her trance as her cheeks seemed to burn. “I, I will.”

Twilight looked over to Lucky. “Lucky Clover, may I have the rings?” She asked as the Best-Stallion extended the pillow. Twilight levitated the rings, in truth more like braclets, off and put one around on Sass’s wing, and the other around Caramel’s hoof.

“I now pronounce you… husband and wife,” she said as Caramel quickly pulled Sassaflash in and gave her a passionate kiss, sealing the marriage. The audience applauded and cheered, and Pinkie Pie had fountains of tears coming out of her eyes. Marble, how became a friend of Sass’s during their time in the Mare’s Division put a hoof to her sister’s shoulder, her eyes wielding tears as well.

As soon as the newly-weds separated, they looked to the crowd, flashing bright smiles. Twilight left the front and went to stand with Flash, the ponies went up to congratulate the new couple.


Outside the Town Hall for the reception. Caramel and Sassaflash shook hooves with every-pony before they entered the carriage and went off on their honeymoon.

The Major turned to Cold Steel “They’re going to Saddle Arabia.”

“That’s right sir, Caramel thought about seeing the Battle of Ambleman ground and Sassaflash whole-heartedly agreed.”, the Major turned to the rest of the Platoon “Why don’t drink to their health. Do you have the champagne and the glasses Porter?”

“Yes sir.” He levitated the said items, each member of the Platoon took and glass and Porter used a few bottles to when finished pouring out his own the Major called out “He’s to Caramel and Sassaflash.”, the all said cheers and took a sip.

Then the Major spoke “I’d also like the thank every-pony here of you for devoting your time to this endeavour over the several months. With winter coming and us as a group to reach our first anniversary sooner rather than later, I hope we will stand together through thick and thin. Any-pony who tries to take our home or are freedom, we’ll show what we can do. Fight. And we’re not alone, there’s the rest of the Royal Guard, Day, Night, Crystal and Everfree, all over Equestria and beyond, standing ready when their country needs them.

“I think it would be a good idea to pay a tribute to them. To the Royal Guard.”

“To the Royal Guard!”

PreviousChapters Next