• Published 11th May 2017
  • 1,101 Views, 83 Comments

The EK - Magi Tail Welkin



The Everfree Kingdom, small but very active. Life and laughs continued in Ponyville, not just for the Mane Six, but every-pony, old and new, living in Equestria’s newest nation. (Everfree Kingdom name by Jay the Brony/ Jay David.)

  • ...
4
 83
 1,101

PreviousChapters Next
Fallen Idol, Rising Spirit

The Major blinked as Flash finished recounting one of his tests as an Apprentice Knight, “And you’re sure A. K. Yearling hasn’t turned that into a book?”

Flash shook his head, internally he giggled, the girls all told him about Miss Yearling and her identity and after the publication of the Friendship Journal she did her very best, with reasonable sucsess to dispell what the Journal revealed, and sent an extremely stern letter to both Twilight and Rainbow Dash. Flash really hoped to meet her one day and talk to her about the adventure he told the Major. “I don’t think it was enough to make me a Royal Knight, I mean, compared to the Brig, Sir High Mountain, Sir Bold Star, in even to my mentor Sir Lionheart, that just one adventure.”

"Well, they all had to start somewhere sir."

The story came from his special training, in between his stationing in the Crystal Empire and the events leading up to his transfer and promotion, and now Prince by marriage status, and the best two-week holiday of his life.

Flash and Twilight for their honeymoon travelled to the ancient town in the old Unicorn Kingdom territory, where both Rare Metal, founder of the Unicorn Royal Family, and according to the four Books of Silver Light, his birthplace, the little town of Sacrament. They spent the days traveling around and worshiping at the small shrines and chapels set up throughout the old Unicorn Kingdom, and at night they’d return to their hotel and, enjoy, each other’s company, a lot. Flash smirk with stallion pride as the events of those replayed in his mind.

Still the story of his special training, as an Apprentice Knight Flash got given a unique test, in his case protecting an elite pony. He did wonder if the test had in fact been training to become Twilight’s personal guard.

The elite pony said he needed guarding due to this omen he received. Omens are rare and unusual events which can be interpreted as prophecy, often linked with astrology. This client seemed an absolute nut on magic, much more than Twilight. The elite pony appeared to be some sort of wizard, not like Comet Tail.

There are in fact two form of magic depending on which school you went to. Celestia’s School, the foremost school, always tried to be the progressive type, due to the founding member of the Faculty being Princess Celestia, Star Swirl the Breaded and Clover the Clever.

The other main school, Hogwash’s Arcane Academy, dating back to the Unicorn Kingdom taught a traditional magic.

Comet as a younger wizard, although self-taught, treated magic more like a science, much in the same way Twilight did. Whereas this chap, a former professor of Divination at Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns, stuck very much to old view of magic, he would talk about candles, circles, planets, stars, bananas, chants, runes and the importance of having at least four good meals every day, probably the reason why his tailoring bill eat into his teacher’s pension.

When Flash asked, it didn’t surprise him to learn the old professor came for Hogwash. Flash took a dim view of the traditional magic, called the Occult, partly because of the Prophets objection to them and many of the practices being church rites often reversed, like saying the Bridle Creed backwards. Necromancy, calling upon the spirits of the dead, banned across Equestria and it is rumoured the only “Black Grimoire” left is locked away in the Necropolis, among other malefic tomes.

Hogwash taught Rituals and the Rites, and the Rights and Wrongs. Nearly all spells are accompanied by actions. These “rites” generally require the same exactness on the performer’s part as the reciting of spells. The main purpose of a rite is to carry the magic of the spell to its desired object.

Rituals are ceremonial acts, they have various, frequently overlapping purposes: to placate, propitiate, supplicate, honour, obey or call forth the gods, goddess, spirits or demons; to initiate passage into stallion/ mare-hood, entrance into a secret society or entrance into a mystical vocation such as magician or shaman, to mark transitions or passage, to encourage fertility, healing or cleansing; to protect home, family, children or warriors and to banish wrongdoers.

Among the common features of ritual in all magic are the reciting of holy names, the names of Gods, spells, chants and prayers, dancing and other movement, particularly ritualized postures and gestures, costumes and masks, incense, smoke, candles, fires, offerings and sacrifices, feasting or fasting, purifications, the use of scared objects, relics tools, images and symbols.

During such a ritual, the old professor got the omen. For his Augury, his fancy word for fortune telling, he used the divination of Xylomancy, which from the name would make you think he did some sort of divination via a xylophone, but it works either by divining from the size and shape of pieces of wood randomly collected, or burning the pieces and observing which flamed first. The old professor did it in the jungles of the deep south while he collected fire wood.

So, first Flash traversed the jungle to find his client, then suffered the old professor’s rambling about some vague change about to occur.

What did occur, they two got attacked by a dog-like creature. Who claimed to be Ahuizotl, on of Daring Do’s villains. Of course, at the time Flash just thought it much have been the creature A. K. Yearling based the villain of, but after his discussion with Rainbow Dash he now knew he faced the character, and he looked exactly how the books described him with an elongated dog-like head, with eyes positioned over his nose at the end of his snout. Walking on all fours, with dog-like hind limbs and ape-like forelimbs, and a long monkey-like tail with a hand on its end. A tuxedo-style coat, having dark blue fur over most of his body, while his stomach, lower jaw and limbs are of a lighter blue with golden coloured jewellery, such as a necklace, a single ear ring, and three bracelets, one for each foreleg, and one around his tail’s wrist.

The elite professor became absolutely scared. Flash on the other hoof fought the monster head on. He even discovered some of his history.

His family were the “God-Kings” of an ancient city civilisation in the south jungle. Cats, their pets, big and small were viewed as lesser servant gods to the Ahuizotl family. And according to the, whatever he was, this Ahuizotl simply wish to regain his family relics hidden from pony raiders, pirates most likely in the year 525 of Celestia’s Reign. However, Daring Do seemed determined to steal his property.

Flash however, didn’t care about the reasons behind Ahuizotl’s, he was an enemy who attacked them and needed to be defeat. Long story short, he managed to beat the “God-King” down hard and he and the professor escaped. Flash just made out “I will have my revenge.”, he hopped he’d never get caught in one of Daring’s adventures.

Right now, the Everfree Guard, reservist and all travelled to Canterlot for a special gathering arranged by Princess Celestia and the Royal Knights, Flash could only wonder why.


In a large tent, big enough for over thirty ponies a drill sergeant-major inspected the rigging.

A captain of the Day Guard, with the colours of an instructor, walked in and smiled at the NCO “Ah, General Sentry and the Everfree Guard are a bit late aren’t they Sergeant-Major?”

“I understand their using their own transport sir. One of their member built a self-propelled armoured cart, nothing with Auto-magic though, uses some engine powered by Liquid Petroleum Gas.”

The Instructor looked unsure “I heard the Everfree Guard can be quite ingenious.”, the Sergeant-Major nodded “Oh yes sir, very keen as well, so Prince Armour says.”, the Instructor gulped and walk off slightly “Flash was among the keenest when we were in the intake together. A bit too keen if you ask me.” His eyes started blinking uncontrollably and his lip quivered “Then again, it did lead him to become a Prince.”

The Sergeant-Major noticed the Instructor’s odd behaviour “Are you alright sir?”

“Oh, it’s this darn twitch I’ve developed, I’ve overseen a school of explosive for just over half a year now, not long after that darn Naval Fool Bluenose got court-martialled for causing that massive fire in Bridle City. After a couple of months, I got this, peeving, twitch.”

The Sergeant-Major nodded “If you ask me sir, you could do with some Leave.”

“The trouble is lot of the younger recruits have no idea of the danger, and some of the officer are just as foolish too, so mad keen! They charge about all over the place, one of these days their going to blow themselves sky high! I know it I just know it!”

A low growl filled the air and a horn blasted. The pair turned to the entrance as the Three T rolled in. Flash and the Major climb down from the cab and gave the orders to disembark.

The Sergeant-Major walked to the entrance to address the lot. Flash and Major walked in first and went to the Instructor, who saluted. Dauntless Doo, Chrome Blade and Sergeant Porter joined them.

Flash smiled “Hello Ashwood, I didn’t think I’d soon after the wedding. What have you been up to?”, the Instructor known as Ashwood explained.

The Major chuckled “That takes me back, it was the Fifth Regiment of Hoof that developed the grenade you know.”

“Really?” Ashwood twitched.

Cold Steel walked up and nodded “I don’t know which I like better, the spear or the bomb. I’m fond of the both of course sir. In 978 I was on a tour in the Griffon Lands, me and my mates we pinned down and I was throwing bombs one at a time. Pin out, over, bang! Over, bang! They used to call me the Mad Bomber you know. I not mad really, I’m as sane as you are.”

“Oh, really?” Ashwood twitched “Well, if you excuse me, I’ve got a lot to do. Make yourselves comfortable.” And he rushed out.

Cold Steel glanced at the Major “He’s a bit hysterical isn’t he sir?”

Flash nodded “Ash was one of the more nervous of my intake, conscripted like Dad.” He turned to the Major, “Let’s go get our beddings.”

“Porter’s bring my stuff in sir.”

“Major,” Flash said sternly “We can’t have any-pony waiting on us in this unit. I want it to be democratic. We eat together, sleep together and fight together. Rank doesn’t come into it.”

Porter walked up with a pair of bedding in his magic “Here you are sir.”

Flash looked at Porter “Porter, you may be the Major’s Steward, but that doesn’t mean you have to do everything for him.” The young General walked to the Three T. Porter watch him go and returned to the Major and smirked “Should I take you’re bedding back to the Truck sir?”, the Major rolled his eyes “Don’t be absurd Porter, just put it down over there.”

“Right sir.”

Lucky, and Mr Waddle walked in. Waddle looked unsure “Do we have to sleep on the ground?”, Lucky plonked his bedding down “Well it’s either that or stand up a night.”, Waddle sighed “It won’t do my rheumatics any good.”

Vigil walked up “Oh, don’t be such a sissy. It’ll straighten your back.”

“At my age, it’s already decided which way it wants to go.”

Lucky set up his bed next to Cold Steel, and looked curiously at the rigging and the net cover the old solider began to put over his blankets. The grey Pegasus blinked “What are you doing Steel?”

“Making my bed, aren’t I?”

“You going to grow strawberries in it?”, Steel turned to him mildly offended “Of course not.”

“What’ve you got that net on it for?”

“Well, it’s for mosquitos, it’s a mosquito net.”

“What’re you talking about? There are no mosquitos here, you’re a silly old duffer.”

“I know but it goes with the bed, doesn’t it? We’ve been together for almost fifty years.”

And it doesn’t seem a day too much.” Lucky sang.

“You can laugh, but I was very glad of this net in Saddle Arabia, it doesn’t just keep out mosquitos, it keeps out snakes and all.”, Lucky paused and blink “Luna, don’t tell me snakes were trying to get into bed with you?”

“Yeah, snakes? It’s cold out in the desert at night, and them snakes you to try and come in and snuggle up beside you.”, Lucky shuddered.

“Oh, it’ll alright. They’re not cold and slimy, snakes you know. They’re all warm and soft…”

“And coated in salmonella.”

“Every animal has that, you just wash thoroughly. There was one snake that used to come to my tent every night and around my next, what did I call it? Oh yeah, Chip I called him, and his little face used to look through the net a little pathetic look in his eyes as if to say, I’m cold let me come in. I never let him in though, I don’t like that sort of thing you know.”

As Flash took his helmet off he heard hoof-steps he looked up and smiled “Hello sir.” He saluted.

Lionheart smiled “No need for that Flash, none of us are here on duty. I thought you’d be coming down later with Twilight.”

“Oh, no sir, I need to get back to my duty as leader of the Everfree Guard, anyway,” he leaned in “between you and me I think Twilight might have caught something while on honeymoon, she’s been getting sick at random times, and she been get dizzy in the mornings. She’s going to see Doctor Horse about it, she’ll be here for the main event, whatever it is.”

“I see, every-pony settled in.”

“We’re making ourselves comfortable.”

“Good,” he looked around “I see you’ve decided to sleep with the others.”, Flash nodded “I don’t think I’m any better than any-pony else.”, Lionheart nodded “Humble as ever. What about Major Fields?”, Flash turned to the Major and Porter and his eyes widened “Major?”

The old officer and his Steward seemed to be setting up a tent like structure, the Major turned to Flash “Yes?”

“What are you doing?”

“Make an officer’s quarters. Officers don’t sleep with the unranked, bad for discipline, got to show them who’s in charge.”

“Major,” Flash said sternly going to his fall height “who is in charge here?”

“Well, you sir, but I’m in charge of the reserves.”

“Most of the Everfree Guard, yes. But I’m your superior officer, get that down immediately.”

“Yes sir.”

The call from the mess went through the camp and the Platoon quickly ran for it. Flash left last and as they walked pulled Porter aside “What was that tent about?”

“It was standard camping procedure back went the Major was with the Fifth Hoof, old habits die hard.”

“I see, just keep an eye on him during parades, if he goes against my wishes for this guard company I want you to report them to me, and I’ll give him a real stern debriefing.”

“Understood sir.”


Caramel walked in first “That was a wizard meal.”

Behind him Vigil smiled as, with her wing, she scrubbed her mess tin “You’re right there, it wasn’t half bad.” She put her eating utensils down and spoke again “There really doing the best to make us feel comfortable.”

“I don’t think the Major thought it was that good, he left early. That seedcake was nice though.” Caramel said picking his teeth.

Waddle spoke up “Unfortunately I can’t eat caraway seeds, they give me indigestion.”, Vigil looked at the elderly Padre’s mess tin to find a slice of the seedcake “Then why’d that bit with you?”

“Oh, I thought I might eat it later after I picked the seeds out.”, Vigil rolled her eyes and she muttered “Silly old fool.” Then she saw something in the corner of the tent.

A few blankets strung up on a thick piece of string tied to the nearest pole. A small notice on it which she read out “Office’s Quarters. NCOs and Unranked must ask permission for entry.”, the rest of the platoon gathered around. Vigil started fuming “Luna, the Major’s completely disregarded an order from Captain Sentry.”

Caramel then added “Don’t you mean Captain-General Prince Flash Sentry?”, she glared at him “Don’t be silly boy. He’s Captain of the Everfree Guard, so we call him such, it’s any-pony outside this company who call him Prince or General. Anyway, he’s head of the reserves, we’re a civilian army, Captain Sentry’s still got years of service in the EUP Guards, the Major retired years ago.”

Just then Flash walked in with Porter. Vigil called over and showed them the set up. Porter face hoofed. A fearsome scowl appeared on Flash’s face, he snorted he fury “Where is the Major?” he growled.

“Ah, evening chap.” The Major called as he walked in “Had a nice tea?”, the platoon glared at him. He cleared his throat “I think we’ll be very comfortable here. I’m going to play some gramophone records in my quarters, any requests?”

Vigil spoke up “What about Don’t Fence Me In?”

“I haven’t got that one Miss Vigil.”

“Major.” Flash said, the platoon parted, the General turned around and walked up “I gave you a direct order take that down.”

“And I did, just before dinner. You never said I couldn’t put back up after dinner.”

Porter groaned “Sweet Celestia sir, you’re only making it worse.”

“What do you mean? I’ve treating myself with the upmost respect as an officer. Miss Grey told me a saying by Eastern Thinker Master Cog, “Respect yourself and others will respect you.””

Zecora stepped forward “Another saying from my village school, “We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools.”.”

Reverend Farthing walked up beside her “Because you’re acting so high and mighty Major the platoon is beginning to see you fall.”

Flash nodded “Times have changed Major, what did I say before about the Everfree Guard? We eat together, sleep together and fight together. If you won’t do one of those things, then it’s likely the rest of the platoon won’t let you do the others.”

The Major gulped and he looked around at the glares about the tent, he returned to Flash “Yes sir.”

“Get that down, now.”

“Yes sir.”

“And you are strictly forbidden to put it up again.”

“Yes sir.” And the Major quickly set to work.

The platoon started congratulating Flash.

Then the Sergeant-Major walked in, he saluted Flash and spoke “Pay attention every-pony. You’ll be glad to know you’ll all of duty until lights out at twenty-two hundred hours. Now, there’s a free issue of two pints of cider each in the canteen. We’re not giving you anymore because for some mysterious reason Princess Celestia wants you all sober in the morning.”, the platoon chuckled and Cold Steel spoke up “Don’t worry Sergeant-Major, we shall be up bright and early, ready and steady.”

The Sergeant-Major nodded “Good fellow, carry on.” And he walked out.

The Major finished taking the blankets down and walked up to the platoon “What did the Sergeant-Major want?”, Porter explained and the Major smiled “Oh, splendid. We’ll have a convivial evening.” He turned to Flash “What about you sir?”

“I’d better not, I don’t like alcohol very much. I imagine most of you will think that because I believe the body is a temple to God and must be preserved, but not really, I just don’t like the taste.”

“Ah,” another voice called. The platoon stood to attention as Sir Lionheart walked in “there you two are. How about coming down to the Officer’s Mess for a drink and a chat?”

The Major grinned “Oh really? How very kind of you sir, yes.” He turned to Flash “What about you sir?”

Flash looked unsure and glanced around the tent, Chrome Blade and Dauntless Doo looked encouraging at him, Flash sighed and turn back “Alright sir, just a couple, I’ll just want the chat.”

“Oh,” Lionheart laughed “we’ll see.”

The Major turned to Porter “Do you want to come Porter?”

“I’d better not sir, I’m remember the last time you brought me to drinks in the Officer’s Mess.”

“When was that? I can’t remember.”

“Of course, you wouldn’t sir.”, the Major nodded in understanding and addressed the Platoon “Do forgive me chaps. Have a good evening all of you. Don’t do anything I wouldn’t do.”, Vigil glared at both the Major and Flash as they left with Sir Lionheart.


Sir Lionheart opened the door and the Unicorn attendant keep it open, the Royal Knight nodded.

Around the table sat three other ponies, Shining Armour being one. A middle-aged Unicorn mare and a Bat Pony stallion being the other two. Lionheart introduced them “General Sentry, Major Fields let me introduce the fellows. You of course know Shining Armour.”

“Yes,” Flash saluted “good to see you again sir.”, Shining smiled and shook his head “You don’t need to call me sir Flash, we’re brothers now, you’re a Captain of a Guard, so we’re equal here.”, Flash grinned and sat down. The Major saluted “Greetings your Highness.”, Shining held up his hoof “Please none of that Major Fields, we’re all solider here.”

“Very well Captain Armour.” And the Major sat down. Lionheart cleared his throat now to introduce the others he pointed to the Unicorn “Gift Thicket, Captain of the Day Guard.” Then to the Bat Pony “Night Rain, Captain of the Night Guard.” He turned to the attendant “And this is Thicket’s Steward Private Listener.”

Thicket turned to her steward “Same again all round Listener.”

“Yes ma’am.” And the Unicorn prepared drinks in tankards.

The Major took is cap of and turned to Thicket “How do you do?”, Thicket nodded “How do you do? Sorry we didn’t get to talk much during Operation Half’s Wheel.”, they shook hooves, Thicket looked at the insignia sown to the Major’s sleeve, a recent addition to his uniform “So Fifth Regiment of Hoof?” she asked as Listener put the drinks down on the table.

Flash followed Lionheart and Shining Armour by adding soda water to his.

The Major took his pint “That’s right. Forty years of service, half of that under Coronal Square. Pompous chap but a great old solider, could never get one of the Captain’s name right, fellow by the name of Toolmake, mind you Toolmake was a bit of twit himself, he spelt it Tollmache, so Captain Square called him Tollmash.”

Lionheart and Thicket laughed and Thicket spoke up “We had something similar with my first regiment. It was formed centuries ago by a noble-mare and her name was spelt Belvoir, but for some reason she pronounced it Beaver. And so, when we entered Lady Belvoir’s Regiment thinking it classy we find it was in fact Lady Beaver’s Regiment.”

The older ponies and Shining laughed. Flash glanced to Night Rain who shrugged.

Thicket recovered “I brought up your Regiments Fields because before the Saddle Arabian Campaign of 958 to 961 we had a Corporal-Pioneer from the Fifth Hoof join us. Bungee something.”

The Major blinked and turned to her “Not Corporal Bungee Potts?”, Thicket banged the table with a smile “That’s him. “Potty” we called him, never saw any-pony so hyper and jokey, well, until Pinkie Pie came the Grand Galloping Gala.”, every-pony groaned and shook their head.

“Yes,” the Major said, “read about it in the Liverypool Street Herald, then there was the Gala before last.”

Shining Armour looked up “You read that?”

The Major shrugged “A good laugh in the morning after reading the Ponyville Express.” He turned back to Thicket “Tell me Thicket what did old Bungee get up to when he was with you?”

“Well during the campaign, he got made a Second-Lieutenant and the stuff he got up to in the Officer’s Mess…”


The Platoon sat around, many looking solemn and put off.

Vigil took a sip of her cider before putting it down “This is the end. As soon as I get back to Ponyville I’m resigning. I’m not serving under either Fields, or Sentry anymore. The Major’s getting to big for his horseshoes, and just when we think Sentry’s the progressive Prince of the people, he goes to grovel with the officers. We’re being commanded by a pompous oaf and a hypocrite.”

Zecora pushed her bottles away. Cameral grabbed them up.

Mr Waddle spoke up “I don’t think Prince Flash is to blame, I think he simply wanted to send time with his mentor, Princess Twilight told me that Sir Lionheart trained Flash.”

Lucky looked down the table to him “That leaves the Major.”

Porter took a sip of his cider before speaking “On that I can tell you Major Fields never turned down an invite to drinks in the Officer’s Mess. When we were in the Fifth Hoof the Major rarely got invited, Coronal Square was such a terrible bore, he never liked the Major, so he would drink with the NCOs and the unranked. This is only for one night I can assure you.”

Cold Steel looked to Porter “If Coronal Square didn’t like the Major then how come he became a Major?”

“Orders from above. He’d been a Captain when I was assigned as his Steward after transferring from the Signals, but when one of the Majors retired, and I think he was a Royal Knight, he personally recommended Fields to Princess Celestia, and Coronal Square could not turn down the Princess. And thus, the rest is history.”


Thicket barely contained her laughter as she finished the story “…and so Bungee galloped into the Mess with the croquet mallet and the fan puller, who was asleep at the time, went on pulling the fan with his back hoof.”, she, the Major and Lionheart burst out laughing.

Night Rain downed his drink and Shining and Flash stared agape at the story. Flash plucked up courage “Potts really did all that just before the legendary Battle of Ambleman?”

“Yes,” Thicket said, “what a night that was!”

The Major nudged her “Whatever happened to old Bungee?”

She shook her head “Afraid he might have gotten killed in the battle, never saw him after that. Never forgot him though, kept our morale up.”

The Major looked to Listener “Can you top up my drink?”

“Of course, sir.” And he did. The Major turned to Thicket “A toast to old Bungee Potts, wherever he may be.”, Thicket nodded and bagged her pint to his and they downed them. Thicket wiped the froth from her mouth and then sorted “I remember his first night in the Mess in Buckdad, when General Kitchens made him a Mustang.”

Night Rain swallowed his drink hard and start coughing. He, Lionheart and the Major turned to Thicket wide-eyed and laughing. Lionheart spoke next “How did he do?”

“Went through it like a lamb, I think he quite enjoyed it.”, the Major nodded “That sounds like Bungee, he was always sneaking in drink when no-pony was looking.”

Night Rain leaned in his chair “Celestia, that takes me back. I haven’t seen any-pony made a Mustang for donkey’s years.”

Flash looked to Lionheart “What’s a Mustang?”, Flash did have knowledge of a group of rural Earth Ponies, in the area around Dodge City and Appleloosa, apparently forty years ago they proclaimed their village, about a square mile land in total, an independent republic, Mustangia, but absolutely no official recognition has been made.

Shining spoke “I’ve heard of it, a status thing between officers, right?”

Lionheart nodded “Just a ceremony we old soldiers used to do in the Mess.”

Flash plucked up courage “What do you have to do?”, the Major looked to him and laughed “Why? Do you want to be made one?”, Flash nodded.

Lionheart grinned and patted his apprentice on the back and looked to the gathered “Shall we?”, the others started laughing.

Thicket looked over to Shining “What about you Armour?”, Shining shook his head “I promised Cadance I’d stay level-headed, I need to look after Flurry when I get back to the Crystal Empire.”, Thicket nodded “Far enough, you handle this Major.”

“Thank you. Alright here we go Flash. It goes like this. To start you say, ‘Here’s to the health of Mustang Puff for the first time.’ And you tap the table once with your right hoof, with you left hoof.” He demonstrated the action “You stamp the floor with your right hoof once, you stamp the floor with you left hoof once. You bang your pint on the table once, and you take one drink.”

Flash nodded.

“If you get that correct you then say, ‘Here’s to the health of Mustang Puff-Puff for the second time.’ And you tap the table with your right hoof twice, you tap the table with you left hoof twice, you stamp you right hoof twice, you stamp your left hoof twice, you bag your pint on the table twice, and you take two drinks, you see.” He laughed.

Flash narrowed his eyes.

“When you done with that you say, ‘Here’s to the health of Mustang Puff-Puff-Puff for the third, and last time.’ Ha. And you tap the table with you right hoof three times, your left hoof three times, and you stamp your right hoof three times, and your left hoof three times, you bang your pint on the table three times, one, two, three and you take three drink. And then you’re done.” He laughed “Now have you got that.”

Flash muttered the actions “Table with hooves, right, left. Ground right and left. Pint on table. Drinks. Increase on each go.” He looked to the Major “Seems straightforward to me.”, the table laughed and Thicket said, “That’s what they all say.”

The Major nodded “Yes, but there’s a rule to this, if you get something wrong you have drain your pint and start that section again. If you pass out or forfeit without completing all the sections that determines your status among other Mustangs.”

“If any.” Shining muttered.

Flash looked around “Any of you Mustangs?”

The Major, Lionheart and Night Rain raised their hooves. The Major turned to Thicket “You’re not a Mustang?”

“Oh, I feel a Lady shouldn’t drink to excess. I enjoy the fun of it, but I’d be useless at it. So, what are your ranks gentle-colts? I know First Health is the lowest and Third Health is the highest.”

Lionheart sighed, shut his eyes and rubbed the back of his neck “I’m a First Health.”, they all stared “I know, Royal Knight and only First Health, I cannot handle my drink so well, we already had a few before we started.”

The Major scoffed “I’m Second Health, Coronal Square almost laughed his mutton chops off with my failures of the Third Health.”

Every-pony turned to Night Rain “First.” He muttered

Flash let out a sigh of relief and looked to his mentor “All I know is I want to at least be equal with you sir.”, Lionheart grinned and nodded “Let’s not waste time boy.”

“Okay.” Flash reared up “Here’s to the health of Mustang Puff for the first time.” Right tap. Left tap. Right stamp. Left stamp. Then Flash took the tankard and raised it to his lips.

“Wrong!” every-pony called. Flash looked about a bit confused. The Major laughed “You forgot to bang your drink on the table. Start again, and drain your pint.”

Flash downed his cider. Listener filled it again.


Vigil sneered and covered her ears “Just listen to them will you. Disgraceful. Those are our leaders and there shouting and joking like foals at playtime.”

Lucky looked at her “Don’t give them that. This is probably a treat to Captain Sentry, it was his mentor who invited them and the Major did ask us to forgive him, it probably a trip down memory lane for him.”

Cold Steel started talking as he drained the last bits of cider from the bottles around him “Well I can tell you while I was a solider in Saddle Arabia, there were some terrible goings on in the Officer’s Mess, it was alarming. Right before the Battle of Ambleman one lieutenant ran in there with a croquet mallet. Celestia only knows what he did with it. But I’ll tell you one thing, if you drank too much out in that heat it would turn you into a gibbering idiot.”

Lucky snorted while drinking, he swallowed before speaking “Luna you much have had barrels full back then.”, Cold Steel just laughed.

Porter and Zecora shook Caramel who lay face slumped on the table. Porter looked toward where the sound came from “From the sounds of it their making some-pony a Mustang.”

Cold Steel coughed his drink “They’re not!”, Porter shushed him “Just listen.”

Faintly they heard some-pony say, “Here’s to the health of Mustang Puff-Puff for the second time.”

Cold Steel blinked “So they are. Who is it?”

“I can’t quite make it out, it can’t be the Major he’s already a Second Health and it can only be done once.”

Time Turner looked around from where he sat “What’s a Mustang?”, Porter and Cold Steel look at each other and began explaining.


Flash steadied himself on the table “Here’s,” he shook himself “to the health, of Mustang Puff-Puff-Puff, Puff…”

“Wrong!”

“What?”, the Major bagged the table laughed “Too many puffs.”

“Oh? I’ve got to drain the cider again?”, they all nodded, Flash gulped and downed it.

Shining watched with curiosity and dread, like watching a train wreck. He wanted to look away, seeing one of the finest lieutenants he ever worked with, and the husband of his sister becoming a drunken wreck. But he just couldn’t look away, part of him wanted Flash to succeed.

“Here’s, to the health, of Mustang Puff,” he nodded his head as his recited it “Puff, Puff, for the third, and last time.”

“Thank goodness.” Shining muttered.

Right hoof tapping. One. Two. Three. Left hoof tapping. One. Two. Three. Right hoof stamping. One. Two. Three. Left hoof stamping. One. Two. Three. Tankard banging. One. Two. Three.

Flash lifted the drink to his lip. His other hoof propped himself up. One sip. Two. He swallowed it. Looked at it. Shut his eyes and downed it. Turned the tankard upside-down and slammed it on the table. He sat down.

The table erupted into cheers.

The Major called for a toast. Flash steadying himself as the all stood up. The Major held out his pint “To Captain-General Flash Sentry, Third Health of the Ancient and Ignoble Order of Mustangs. Cheers.”

“Cheers.” Flash said. And here poured his cider onto the Major’s head. The others laughed. Flash grinned and fell backward.

Shining, and Lionheart went to his side.

The Major wiped the cider out of his mane but laughed, he turned to Lionheart “You really picked a good one Lionheart.” He downed his drink and sighed “I think myself and Flash will retire for the night.”

Shining looked up “We’re going to need some held. Flash is out cold.”

Thicket smirked “I’m not surprised with all that cider.”

The Major shook his head “No worry I’ll go get help from my troops.”, he said slightly slurred, he started walking out and swayed a little.


The platoon sat sleep in the tent.

The Major felt his hoof against the canvas trying to find the door. He opened the flap but couldn’t get in at first, for he didn’t open the flap wide enough and his shoulder went into the pole. He tripped as he inched through the gap as he got up he fell back “Dash revolving doors.” He muttered as he stood up again. He stumbled about trying to find Porter. His shoulder hit a pole, which he mistook for another pony and he walked to the end of the tent, only the wrong side.

Cold Steel crept up behind him and covered the Major with his mosquito net “I’ve got an intruder boys!” he yelled. Every-pony woke up.

Steel took the net off the head and blinked “Sorry Major, I thought you were a Akhal-Teke.”

“It’s quite alright Steel, but,” he shook his head “I’m going need help getting Captain Flash in here, he passed out.”

Porter walked “Dear Celestia, don’t tell me he was the one being made the Mustang.”

“Indeed, he was, made all the way to the end. Remarkable young stallion.”

“What’s Princess Twilight going to think?”, the Major suddenly went sober “Nightmare Moon! I hadn’t thought of that, and Prince Shining Armour was with us.”

“Oh Luna!” Porter said, “Come on all the stronger one, follow me.”, they hurried to the Officer’s Mess.


Flash came around, partly because to the shocking headache and because of something warm pressing against his body lightly shaking him, he knew what the second would be, but he couldn’t remember exactly when and how the first came in. His eyes felt tired as he opened them. Sure, enough his gaze got graced by his favourite sight, Twilight, but his mind slowly worked out, she looked before concerned and angry at the same time. He tried to move but his head hurt.

“Here.” Said a voice and a glass of water with a fizzing table appeared before him, Flash glanced sideway and meet the annoyed glare of Spike. Flash took the glass and sipped the drink. His headache lessened slightly allowing him to get up. “What happened last night?” he looked about at the empty tent and memories of yesterday came back.

However, Twilight beat his mind to yesterday evening and explained what she knew about the drinking game. Flash hoof went to his head “God dammit, I am never going to take alcohol again.”

“Flash,” Twilight said and he glanced over to her, her eyes narrowed “Do not take the name of the Lord in vain.”

Flash rolled his eyes “Twi, that’s not what that means, it means, do not commit evil in God’s name.”

“Oh, that makes more sense I guess. But I also glad you’re not going to drink alcohol again, we’ve got some important news.”

“Something happened in Everfree?”

“Not quite. You need your ceremonial dress on. You’ll be needed in the Throne Room.” She kissed him on the check and walked out. Spike followed behind and as soon as he left the tent ran into her flank. As he got up he saw what made Twilight stop. The rest of the Council of Friendship stood with questioning looks.

Rainbow spoke first “Don’t take the name of the Lord in vain?”, Twilight blushed and spoke “I’ll explain, just can we get to the Throne Room.”

As they walked she explained about her reasons for becoming Silver Enlightened, but she decided to leave out the secrets about Celestia and Luna, and about Alicorns, “I kept it a secret because I didn’t know how you’d react, would you think me mad for become religious?”

“Twilight,” Applejack said “why would we think you mad? To be honest we were wondering about this Silver Enlightenment about the time Mr Waddle became Padre of the Home Guard, and then Farthing moves in, kind off left field.”

“Yeah!” Pinkie said, “Why didn’t you say, I could have thrown a “Twilight’s Baptism Party”, it would have been great!”

Twilight raised an eyebrow “How do you know about baptisms?”

“A friend.”

Presently they entered the Throne Room. Twilight joined Celestia and Luna, she stood beside Sir Lionheart. The small number gathered, the other Captains of the Guard, seven other Royal Knights. The Sentry Family and Twilight’s parents, and the rest of the Everfree Guard.

The doors opened again and Flash in full dress walked in slowly, with nervousness and confusion. When he reached the thrones, he bowed.

Celestia smiled “You don’t have to bow Prince Flash.”

“I know your Majesty, your Highnesses, it’s just you all deserve it.”, Twilight giggled “Flash, it’s you we’re honouring today.”, he looked up surprised “Me?”

Lionheart nodded “Yes Flash, after careful consideration, and because of my observations yesterday, and last night, it’s been decided, unanimously by Princess Celestia, Luna and the current Royal Knights, to welcome you into our ranks.”

Flash blinked “Wait, me, a Royal Knight?”

Lionheart laughed “What else boy? I’ve been pushing for it for almost a year now.”

Luna nodded “I however was unsure if you did have the authority to be a Royal Knight, which is partially why I brought up Twilight’s lack of a Guard.”, Celestia nodded and glanced at Twilight, then to Shining Armour “We had reason to test you.” She charged her magic and brought out an amulet with an ornate seal, and a long and ancient ceremonial sword. Below the hilt were letters of gold, Flash couldn’t read them but he knew the sword of the Order, the sword of Bullion.

“Flash Sentry.” Celestia said, she tapped the sword on his shoulders “You are charged to serve Equestria, fight the good fight, and do no wrong. Evil be on the one who thinks evil.”

The Royal Knights repeated the last statement, the motto of the Order. The amulet fell around his neck, it felt so surreal.

Twilight fluttered down “Flash, one more thing. If you hadn’t been made a Royal Knight this would have been the main announcement.” She then whispered “Celestia and Luna already know, they came to see me at the hospital when I got told the news.”

Flash gasped, Twilight smiled and nodded, she then turned to the gather “Every-pony, I’m pregnant!”, Flash immediately covered his ears as the room erupted into cheers. He felt so light headed, even more so than with all the cider. He passed out.

PreviousChapters Next