• Published 11th May 2017
  • 1,096 Views, 83 Comments

The EK - Magi Tail Welkin



The Everfree Kingdom, small but very active. Life and laughs continued in Ponyville, not just for the Mane Six, but every-pony, old and new, living in Equestria’s newest nation. (Everfree Kingdom name by Jay the Brony/ Jay David.)

  • ...
4
 83
 1,096

PreviousChapters Next
How to Miss an Art Show

Cipher slowly made his way down the hilly roads with a smile on his face. The other day he teamed up with Discord to put on a radio show as an experiment for a national broadcasting company. It proved a reasonably success, but Time Turner did tell him of the trouble he caused the Royal Guard.

Rehearsing the proved a challenge, not because Cipher couldn’t do it. He used his deception and shapeshifting skills to change his voice to suit the characters. All apart from Discord himself, who for reasons Cipher could only think of as vanity seemed to be the sanest character in the script, a definition of sane if you stretched it to the moon and back.

The script in all called for over twelve other characters. They included “The Famous” Eccles, the Minor-General Blood-Knock a renowned military idiot, coward and bar, the plausible public school villain and cad Grip Tight Fin, his lackey the bald, daft, deaf and worthless Count Navigator of the House of Famed Brave, the senile and delinquent couple and Mr Crum and Mrs Banister and the cardboard cut-out, liquorice and string hero who speaks in a high pitch and ingratiating manner, the side hero next to Discord, Bluebottle, who for some reason would sometimes say his directions, like ‘Enter Bluebottle wearing string and cardboard pyjamas. Waits for audience applause. Not a sausage.’ Or for a future script if the series did take off ‘Enter Office colt, Bluebottle, with ink on best collar and second best hoof.’

The large cast of characters didn’t cause the challenge, far from it in Cipher’s case. No, the script kept on causing Cipher to laugh so much. The entertainment of Discord’s nonsense became contagious. Discord made fun with the fourth wall, something which made Cipher wonder about Pinkie Pie and her strange abilities.

After the announcer, Mr Ray dramatically said, “I was the year 907 of Celestia’s Reign and here is the orchestra to play it.” The orchestra played as described in the script ‘NEW MADE LINK ALL OVER THE SHOP. SINGING IN THE MIDDLE. SOUND F.X. IN MUSIC. FINISHES ON A CHORD.’ 907 must have been a real mess of a year.

And then Discord spoke again “Oh, what a year that was… the South Zebra war has broken out and was now in its second years.”, then the Grams, recorded sound effects started playing a rendition of Happy Birthday. Cipher lost it when he first heard the joke. If Fluttershy did not act as a producer and director, to keep her chaotic friend and Changeling colt-friend under control then they would never at completed rehearsals in time.

All in all, the show went well, and over the last couple of days both Discord and Cipher received letters of congratulations and indeed love and a certain amount of fangirling, especially for Cipher, which he took just as a snack of emotional energy.

Although the calendar said autumn, Cipher couldn’t help but feel a touch of spring in the air and a lovely scent woodless of peppercorn, lavender and maple leaves greeted his nose. He didn’t have much post so he and Riolu climb down to have a short walk “Come on Riolu, stretch your paws.”, the Jakhowl stopped at a rock as a pigeon landed on it, he pounced but it flew off just in time.

Autumn, or Fall as Ponies called it did not last long, only long enough for the leaves to change colour and for the Running of said Leaves to occur, then Cloudsdale would come over bringing the snow, but according to this year’s schedule, given what happened last year, the Everfree Kingdom would be the last on the list for snow. Rainbow Dash secretly hopped this would mean she and her pet tortoise Tank would have some more time together before he hibernated.

Cipher meanwhile heard some form of activity. He walked around a bush and saw Rarity setting up an easel, beside her on a stool, a brand-new set of paints and bare wooden palette and sitting at one of the stool’s legs a canvas. Cipher approached as she placed the canvas landscape on of the easel “Good morning Rarity.”, she turned around “Oh, hello Cipher darling. How’s Ponyville’s new radio star doing?”

Cipher chuckled and spoke in his Eccles voice “Fine, fine. How about you? Heard anything from Flash and Twilight?”, she smiled and shook her head “I think their spending their time just enjoying their honeymoon.”

“A very long honeymoon. It’s been over a week.”, Rarity chuckled herself “I don’t blame them, with both their positions it means they can’t spend a lot of time just being together, I think they want to enjoy it as much as possible.”

Cipher nodded “Oh well, we’ll just have to wait until they get back. Still nice to see ponies out and about, and you picked just the day for a bit of painting.”

The wind suddenly picked up and blew the canvas off the easel. Rarity gasped. Cipher fluttered his wings and flew after it. The canvas twirled and tumbled through the air and into a hedge. Cipher landed and chuckled “Well caught hedge.” He took the canvas of the branches with his magic and walked back to Rarity “Quite a lively picture this’ll be. Here we are Rarity, all safe and sound.”

Rarity smiled and took the canvas in her magic “Thank you Cipher dear.” She put it back onto the easel “This is a most important canvas.” She took out the palette and a tube of yellow paint, which she squirted a blob onto as she explained “For the Everfree Art Show.”

“Art Show? How many events are we having in this first year of the Kingdom?”

“Oh, I don’t know, but I relish the chance to shine.”

“Couldn’t you have made a fashion line? Art of the dress or something?”

“I did consider, but I thought why not try something outside of my niche, I do love a challenge? Sweetie Belle did it last year in the Applewood Derby,” she sighed “and I almost ruined it for her. Anyway, I know I must do the best I can, the Ponyville Express is offering a prize, a very big prize I do believe. Just think of that.” She took her brush.

Cipher raised an eyebrow “Well I never saw that, I’ve been too busy sorting out letters to read the paper. I thought you didn’t like the Ponyville Express?”

“It’s still boring, but I will admit I feel it’s more trust worthy since Parcel Post took over its printing, a Ponyville Express from Ponyville, you never know what the printers in Canterlot might do, I mean look at what the Liverypool Street Herald gets up to. Dreadful.”

“Rarity, if the printers did change here and there without the editor’s permission then no doubt the editors would complain.”

“You never know what newspapers editor will do, ask Fluttershy about the Gabby Gums incident with the Free Foal Press, or better yet Mr Rich.”, she looked passed the canvas and hummed “Here we go.” She levitated her brush and took some of the yellow paint, she began dabbing at the canvas in a few strokes. She looked back up and shut one eyes, then she seemed to measure whatever she looked at with her brush. Cipher looked to where her eyes fell to, but continued see much, if anything yellow in the view.

Rarity meanwhile seemed to be in her own world “Not a bad start.” She added a few extra strokes around the bottom. She turned back to Cipher. The Changeling hummed and tried closing an eye to see if it changed the image “Well, its, um, is it? I mean all that yellow. Are you thinking about Moonlight Spectre’s eyes again?”

Rarity blushed and held her head high “Lord Moonlight’s eyes are not yellow, they’re a burnt orange.”

Cipher decided to ignore the fact she didn’t answer no and looked at the canvas again. With just the undeterminable blob on the white canvas it looked like Rarity created a new style of art, not the impressionist night sky of Vincent van Colt or the Romantic landscape of Gracious Constable, this art style look as if it tried to so much with minimal work, and failing to have any meaning behind it, as if being art exist for no other reason than being art.

Whatever Rarity tried to paint, Cipher didn’t like it “It make me want to squint.”, Rarity seemed to ignore this and added some more yellow “Now then Cipher, what do you make of that?”

The wind blustered again and the canvas flew off the easel, and onto Rarity’s torso. She shirked.

Cipher stifled a laugh “I think the wind wants to paint to you Rarity.”, the fashionista pulled the painting off and examined the yellow blotch on her fur, her nose wrinkled and she gave a disgusted, ladylike, grunt “It’s no good Cipher, I shall have to go home and paint a pot of flowers on the kitchen table. After I clean myself up of course.”

Cipher chuckled.


Next day, Cipher called on Time Turner, a parcel with his address arrived. Right now, Cipher wondered about the little robot TOM, Time started designing the little thing about a week ago and so far, nothing came off it, although it could easily because Time often got distracted by other things and could often forget projects for a long while.

He entered the workshop and called “Morning Time.”

“Morning Cipher.” Time said as he turned his screwdriver. Currently he stood beside a brightly painted model house and an electric fan. No roof on the model, with a pair of green doors and from the side a hole with a cuckoo, like one from a clock peaked out and on the other side a windmill. Time turned to Cipher “I hope you’ve got a parcel for me.”

Cipher nodded “I have.” And he looked at the label on the small box “It looks like something special.”

“Special?” Time chuckled “I should think so. It’s a thingamy-whatsit for this doolally gadget I’m making to the Everfree Art Show.” He tapped the model.

Cipher hummed “Well I wouldn’t mind having a go. But I don’t think I could make a doolally-whatsit.”

“Well, there’s all sorts of things you could try.” Time took hold of a nearby open paint it with a brush inside “What about a spot of painting? I’ve got plenty of tins with a bit left in.” He stirred the brush in the paint “I’d be glad to get them used up.”

Cipher shook his head and explained about Rarity “It looks a bit messy, especially when the wind gets up.”

Time nodded and put the paint tin away “What you want is a nice lump of clay.”

Cipher paused and thought about the idea. Taken something ugly like large blob on unsightly grey mud and mould, reshape it into a new form, just by instinct only he could tell “That sounds more like my style. But where could I get such a thing as a lump of clay?”

“I got a tin of some special stuff.” Time said as he started looking about the workshop “I got sent it to try out. It’s like clay.” He looked under a desk and smiled, he then pulled out a large tin, with a bucket like handle and covered with red paint “I haven’t got time to bother with it, you’re welcome to try if you like.”

Cipher nodded “I’ll have a go.” He took the tin in his magic, and strained at the weight. Time chuckled “Plenty there for you. All you need to do is read the instructions.”, Cipher nodded and put the tin down “Thanks Time.” He then looked at the Doolally Gadget “But what’s this thing you’re making? What do it do?”

Time cleared his throat and closed to gap between then to whisper “Don’t tell any-pony Cipher, it’s to be a secret until the show opens. They’ve never seen anything like this.” He twirled the windmill blades “It all works with the wind.” He took the roof from the side desk and put it on the model, then his took a piece of string and tied it around some wheels, one on the windmill axle, the other out of the house. The doctor continued explaining “That’s what this fan’s for.” He switched the machine on and the windmill started turning. Immediately the modal started shacking about his incomplete automatons, one shot out the green doors and fell off, then the roof jumped off and onto Time’s back. The doctor switched the fan off.

Cipher backed up slightly “Um, I’d better be off.” He took the tin and muttered “I’ve had enough wind to last me a long time.” He walked out and called “Cheerio.”

“Bye Cipher.” Time called, as the cuckoo fell off its perch.

Cipher climbed on to the driver’s seat and started the cart up, he spoke to Riolu “What a clay rabbit?” He chuckled as his flicked the reins and head along the country roads, around a left bend and back into the town. He stopped at the Post Office and walked inside.

Much to Cipher surprise a few ponies stood inside talking about the art show, including the Major, Reverend Farthing and Chelsea Porcelain.

The Reverend saw Cipher and smiled “Good morning Cipher. How wonderful to have an art show in our community.”

Major Fields spoke up next “Last time I did any painting I painted the fence all around the barracks,” he chuckled “made a bit of a mess of it.”

Chelsea Porcelain spoke to Muffins, who focused more on the letters, the retired mare continued “When I was a filly I was a wonder at needlework, embroidery all that sort of thing, I can’t hold a brush properly now, it’s these rheumatics you know…”

“Oh yes,” Muffins said cutting her off while handling a large parcel “I’m sure. I must sort out these letters. Would you care for a muffin?” She walked over to the pigeonholes.

Then the group started to speak all at once, a real discorded cacophony. Muffins poked her head out and her eyes straightened as she angry yelled “Quiet Every-pony!”, the group stopped, rarely did Muffins get angry and she only straightened her eyes during something serious “Now look folks,” she said, “I have these letters to out, and it you want any advice you better go have a word with Miss Cheerilee down at the school.”

The Major nodded and went to the door “Follow me, mind the step.”, Reverend Farthing followed and muttered “I wonder if they accept the model I have, painting by number…”

Chelsea slowly left with some more pony and she spoke “…these were cushions, cross-stitching, a bit faded by now…”

Quiet at last Muffins returned to sorting as Cipher shuffled up “Muffins, do you know…”, she rolled her eyes “If it’s about that blooming poster and the art show no Cipher, I don’t.”, at the mention of a poster Cipher looked around and saw a such a poster, with the logo of the Ponyville Express with some details about the art show, Parcel Post no doubt put it up after Cipher left with Time’s special parcel.

Muffins continued “The whole town’s all a buzz with it and I’m tired of answering silly questions.” She finished assembling the assortment of post “Besides, as you can see, there’s a deal of post that’s come in, so they’ll be no time for chatting.”

“Thanks Muffins.” He took then with his magic “I’m thinking of having a go at something, just wait and see.” He looked down at the post and notice a number with both his address and the Castle of Friendship, how many ponies did hear the radio broadcast, and how many ponies wished to congratulate Twilight and Flash? He left the Post Office just hearing Muffin’s relieved sigh of goodbye.


Most evenings for Cipher are quiet affairs, every-pony knows about his introverted and respect his privacy. Cipher sat in his chair reading one of the books Fluttershy gave him. He glanced at the side table with an old copy of the Ponyville Express. Then he remembered about the art show and the clay, so he went into the kitchen and brought out the tin, ‘Now then, what shall I make? First things first, get it out of the tin.’ He took the lid off and put it under the table. Then it quickly flipped the tin over and plonked down, he did hear a small slop of the clay. He banged the bottom and then pulled it off the lump. ‘Now what did it say?’ he flipped it right-side-up and looked at the writing on the side, he frowned “I wish Time hadn’t slip paint on it. Keep warm and mix a small amount of water. Can’t see the rest. Never mind.’

Then a most peculiar sound came from the clay, a slouching and bubbling. The blob in question started to move, it developed humps and they feel down the lump surface in waves before starting to slip off the edges on the table. Cipher’s eyes widened “Hello! It’s alive!” he tried catching as much as possible in the tin, but he only caught a small amount as most the clay plopped onto the floor. Cipher stepped forward and put his hooves into the clay and then slipped slightly, he steadied himself, but ended up putting another hoof in the clay remaining on the table. He lifted a hoof from the floor finding it very difficult “This stuff’s more like glue than clay.” He ended splashing the edge of the tin with this stuff, making whatever else he could have read now covered. He then watched the final bits of clay flow off the table and onto the floor.


Next morning, a Sunday and thus no need of work, Cipher went to his special messenger machine and called Time Turner. One of the doctor’s inventions and the test device of his new “Secret Radio Communication System”, it used identical piano rolls going at the same time and speed, the holes in the roles would correspond to one of eighty-eight different frequencies. With one hole at a time, Time calculated over seven-thousand combinations with the addition of different lengths for each hole, it would make the system nearly impossible to infiltrate and because of the different frequencies it meant if they got any interference from say some-pony bring a portable radio and accidently tuning into the frequency.

Now Cipher didn’t fully understand the system, he simply switched the transmitter and receiver, with its identical rolls and his radio would automatically send a signal to Time’s to switch his half of the system on. Time said he calculated the timings just right. Any electromagnetic wave, including visible light, radio waves and x-rays travel at the same speed the universal constant, the speed of light, 671-Million miles per hour. Time calculated the distance between his workshop and Cipher’s house and the time difference would be so infinitely small it wouldn’t matter, because light travelled 186-thousand miles per second, which is more than the mapped geography of Equestria, there would be no real effect to when the frequencies change.

Cipher shook his head hoping it would work and took to the microphone. Time’s voice came from the speakers “Hello, Cipher?”

“Hello Time.”

“So, the system does work, good to know. The Corps of Royal Magisters will be pleased. Anyway, how are you doing?”

“I had a bit of trouble with that clay stuff you gave me. Took me till bedtime to clean it up.”

“What did you make?”, Cipher laughed “A mess, that’s what I made Time, nothing else. Cheerilee came around to see what the commotion was all about, you should have heard what she said.”

“You’ll have to follow the instructions Cipher.”, Cipher sighed and explained the trouble with the tin, then Time spoke again “I’ll see if I can get a leaflet about it, I know I’ve got one somewhere.”

Time kept his promise and soon Cipher started again with his clay sculpture. He started by shaping the lump up tall and with a wide base. He then added arms and tails, ears and small hanging appendages. Then with a wooden tool he smoothed the clay down and added smaller details. He ended up with a grinning Jakhowl sitting in the lotus position.

Riolu did not grin however, and while in the lotus position he start to get fidgety.


The day of art show arrived, however Flash and Twilight didn’t come back from honeymoon, they seemed to have chosen a full fortnight to spend time together.

Cipher trundled out of the village, but as he climbed the hill just before the North-Eastern Windmill the Cart start to play up, it lost power and banged. He managed to roll into the yard but the cart finely stopped working.

Windy, outside collecting the eggs heard the noises and came to have a look.

Cipher looked under the cart, he glanced back as the hen farmer walked up “Morning Windy.”

“Morning Cipher, what’s wrong?”

“I don’t know, she just conked out.”

“Let’s have a look, I know a thing or two about these Auto-magic engines. Mind you not to the level of Time Turner or Big Mac.”, Windy took his hat off and got underneath as he began muttering.

Cipher heard another set of hooves and looked back to the road. Filthy Rich came trudging along with his mobile shop. He stopped and unharnessed himself.

Rich’s decision to pull the cart himself came as a surprise to many, most notably his wife Spoiled Rich, who lived up to her name, and to her maiden name of Spoiled Milk, for she did act quite sour, and Rich’s daughter Diamond Tiara. Rich explained Ponyville existed on hard work and honesty, if you’re sincere and of good characters the ponies in town take care of you, but you must do your part to. It also gave him an opportunity to scout about and learn more about potential customers.

Cipher step around to greet his acquaintance, he smiled and waved his hoof “Hello Rich.”

“Hello Cipher, anything wrong?”, Windy muttered something about the manifold and the exhaust and as Filthy Rich walked closer the farmer called out “Hey Cipher, these sparkplugs are mucky.”

Filthy meanwhile took an electric touch from his cart and checked the tank. The cart used an alchemical fire spell to produce its internal combustion. Filthy carefully opened the cap and braced himself. No fire came out so he peered in and chuckled “There’s nothing wrong with the cart Cipher, it just it won’t run on fresh air alone. You’re out of your alchemy.”

Cipher faced hoof “Oh dear, what a noddle I am. Muffins told me the formula wouldn’t last forever. I’ll miss the art show, their picking the winner this afternoon.”, Windy got back up and returned to his hens. Rich meanwhile went back to his cart and took a bottle something “This old bottle of wines gone off. Spoiled told me to get rid of it, might as well put it to good use,” he poured the liquid into the tank “There should be enough burnable liquid in there to get you to the village.”

Cipher smiled and climb aboard “Thanks Rich, I owe you one.”

“No need to thank me, just being a good Everfree citizen.”

“Still thanks again, I hope to Celestia and Thorax this works.” He charged his horn and the cart spluttered before groaning into life. Cipher gulped and lightly pulled the reins to get her rolling. She did run a lot better with something to burn, but not for long.

They just entered the village when the cart started blowing and spluttering, gasping for breath for its magical embers. She conked out just on the edge of the High Street. Cipher climbed down and spread his wings “We’ll have to make it to the schoolhouse under our own power.”, Riolu jumped onto the Changeling’s back and the Changeling Prince fluttered as fast as he could.


Tried only began to describe Cipher as he landed at the schoolhouse. He entered and looked about. Time Turner’s Doolally Gadget ran smoothly, it even included cut-out smoke coming out the chimney. He couldn’t see the judge, whoever they were. But he did notice a pony who he smiled for ‘There’s Fluttershy.’, his mare-friend looked after the sculpture of Riolu. Some-pony put a notice on it Cipher approached and read it “Special award? Ponyville prize?”

Fluttershy nodded and smile with pride “It’s a special prize Cipher, something about your model saving the show.”, Cipher raised an eyebrow “I didn’t think my model was…” then he noticed something and frowned “His tail’s missing! I gave him a nicely sculpted tail.”, he felt a tap on his shoulder, he turned around to see Time Turner behind him “Um, Cipher could you spare a minute?” He walked to a cupboard with pipes and valves. Water trickled on the floor Cipher asked, “Is there a flood?”

Time nodded “There was a leak yes.” He opened the door and pointed “You see that pipe?” At a junction in the pipelines a blob of something wrapped around the pipe “That’s Riolu’s tail, the cold water makes the clay go hard, just the thing to stop a leak. Without that we would have needed to close the show so the water wouldn’t ruin the art.”

Rarity walked up and smiled as Riolu looked at his clay counterpart. The fashionista put a rosette on the Jakhowl “I think Riolu deserves first prize.”, Fluttershy nodded and scratched the pup’s ear “After all, he did help to stop a flood.”

Cipher walked up and patted his companion on the head “He’s a first-class creature.”, the Jakhowl just blushed and smiled.

PreviousChapters Next