• Published 11th May 2017
  • 1,096 Views, 83 Comments

The EK - Magi Tail Welkin



The Everfree Kingdom, small but very active. Life and laughs continued in Ponyville, not just for the Mane Six, but every-pony, old and new, living in Equestria’s newest nation. (Everfree Kingdom name by Jay the Brony/ Jay David.)

  • ...
4
 83
 1,096

PreviousChapters Next
The Best Night Ever 3.0

The third Grand Galloping Gala, Twilight and friends visited. Again, Twilight organised it, but this time she made sure Discord behaved himself.

This time the guest list included the Star Ponies of Bridle City Port, and Major Fields, he choice Porter as his plus one.

Speaking of choices for plus one guests, Rarity decide not to bring one, as Sweetie Belle said even without the Smooze, the monstrous guest Discord brought last year, she found the Gala, outside of being with her friends and family, boring, so declined the offer.

Pinkie brought Marble with her.

Fluttershy decided to take Tree Hugger again as her plus one since she knew Cipher didn’t like big gettogethers with strangers, except for the Ponyville Day Fete and the Everfree Fair since he knew most of the ponies there.

However, when King Thorax heard of this he decided to choose Cipher as his plus one, and Cipher, being loyal to his king followed.

For Twilight, organising the Gala and sorting out the arrangements for government within the Everfree Kingdom had been a bit of a tole, but with Spike, Flash and Starlight on hoof, and on her guard, and lover’s advice she began to delegate her work, something she also suggested to Shining Armour, since as a father he and Cadance would need to raise Flurry Heart as well, thankfully with the help of Sunburst on hoof to help with the little Princess things ran smoothly as well in the Crystal Empire.

Twilight stood with Princess Celestia at the top of the stairs greeting the attendants, another pony walked away and Twilight saw the small line “Is it me or has attendance to the Gala gone down?”

Celestia chuckled “Well, after the last two Galas most of the noble decided to steer clear this year, which I don’t really mind. I wonder what oddities will happen this year?”

“Personally, I hope things go a little smoother, although with the Star Ponies here I can’t help but dread what Warrior will do.”, she caught Flash trotting over to the entrance with a confused expression, she glanced to the Princess of the Sun “Is it alright if I go check what’s occupying Captain Sentry?”, Celestia nodded and Twilight galloped down the stairs, she caught up with him “What’s up Flash?”

Flash wore his new ceremonial uniform representing his status as an Everfree Guard Pony, in this case a purplish-blue, mixing not only the colours of the Castle of Friendship, but also the Tree of Harmony, a priority for the Everfree Guard. The jewelled button encased in brass. The golden thread lanyards, he looked the model of a Guard Captain. He turned to Twilight “Blueblood is saying Ten Bits can’t bring Blake inside.”


The Prince argued “Two years ago, the Gala was overrun with animal, I don’t wish to repeat that.”

Captain Star took a firm stance “Not even a Guide Dog for the Blind?”

“He doesn’t look blind to me sir.”, Ten Bits held onto Blake his Rottweiler, fitting with the dress code Ten Bits didn’t wear the sunglasses Rainbow Dash gave him. His father meanwhile continued “Ten Bits has different type of blindness; his retinas are severely damaged.”

“Alright.” Flash called as both he and Twilight arrived “Ten Bits can bring his Guide Dog in with him.”, Twilight nodded and turned to Blueblood “I was there at this young colt’s bedside when the doctor told him he went blind. Blake was one of Fluttershy’s pets, I’m allowing it.”

Blueblood narrowed his eyes “If that dog causes problems then it’s on your horn.” The Prince walked back to the Gala. Top Hat sniffed “What a dreadful bore. Surely he should have seen the Clover Cross on Ten Bit’s uniform.”

OJ turned to his crewmate “It’s not Ten Bits having that award that offends him. I can understand being concerned about animal problems, but Blake wouldn’t hurt a fly.”

Hercules spoke next “It’s all water under the bridge now my dears, I think we should go in.”

Captain Star nodded, then he turned seeing Flash and Twilight returned to the Gala themselves “Everyone on you best behaviour, understand Warrior keep out of harm’s way.”

“I do my best Captain.”, the nine ponies, eight dressed in their yellow uniforms, Hercules of course in his Wonderbolts Reserve uniform.

The announcer called them out, including the awards, a lot of ponies began crowding around Ten Bits, Top Hat, Sunshine and Warrior. Top Hat of course took the attention with stride, however the others. Both Ten Bits and Sunshine kept close and tried to escape. Warrior ran for it and rammed head first into a pillar, thankfully not breaking it.

Big Jock and OJ went over the food table. Captain Star joined the line to speak with Princess Celestia. Hercules went to find Rainbow Dash and the Wonderbolts. And Grampus started having a conversation with Fluttershy and Tree Hugger on dolphins, Sapphire Shores appeared and joined in the talk as well, dolphins being her lucky animal.


Outside in the carriage park the pullers where converging at Donut Joe’s shop when a loud roaring noise and the occasional bang sounded and got closer. Hesitantly they all went to the window and to their surprise saw an unusual and large boxy cart coming towards them. Painted in a Khaki green, the standard colour of the Fifth Regiment of Hoof. The long-fronted vehicle rolled into the parking area.

The doors of the enclosed cab opened and out stepped Major Green Field and Porter. In Full Dress, the red ceremonial uniform of the Royal Guard, complete with Cuirass chest plates and helmets. They wore their ranks symbols of their sleeves.

The Major looked to the cab “Thank you Doctor Turner, I must say the new Troop Transport Truck is well done.”

In the cab, Time Turner nodded “I do hope so. Although the V8 engine I designed does burn a lot of fuel, maybe I should try either Liquid Petroleum Gas or the same Alchemical mixture the Post Service use.”

“We’ll discuss that later turn. Park the Truck and wait for us.”

“Yes sir.”, as the Truck trundled off Porter turned to the Major “Do you think that was wise sir, coming all the way to Canterlot on an untested vehicle, we could have taken the train.”

“In these uniforms, Porter?” the Major shook his head and they headed to the entrance. Once announced the pair spilt, Porter went to the buffet and towards a group of mares and the Major joined the line to speak with the Princess of the Sun, said Princess stood talking to a dark blue Unicorn with a white mane and tail dressed in a yellow tunic and a pith helmet. Celestia glanced up and grinned “Major Green Field, so good of you to come.”

“The pleasure is mine your Majesty.” He bowed. The Unicorn spoke “If you excuse me Princess I need to find my son.”

“Of course, Captain.”, once the Unicorn left the Princess explained “Captain Bright Star was one the finest officer of the Royal Marines. He reminds me very much of his ancestor Sir Bold Star, the Marine Knight, his example was used in the founding of the Royal Navy.”

The Major nodded “I’ve heard of both, perhaps I’ll find the time to speak to him, ex-military to ex-military” the Major then sighed, Celestia looked slightly confused, the Major took his turn to explain “I’ve had troubles recently.” He explained about Miss Fair Grey and Celestia nodded “I know the feeling, many friends I made in the thousand years of my time here have left and still miss them, though my pain lessens every time I think of them.”

“My condolences.”, the Major said, Celestia smiled and the Major returned the party.

He passed Porter talking to a couple of mares, the Major shook his head and came across Applejack and Apple Bloom.

“Howdy Major.”

“Good evening Miss Applejack, Miss Apple Bloom. How is your evening.”

Apple Bloom jumped “It’s great! Much better than last year.”, Applejack nodded “With what we keep going through I think it just fine and dandy just to have a quiet Gala.”

“I could agree more. But,” he smirked and turned to Porter “the Gala has been known for bring couples together.”, Applejack shook her head “I ain’t look for romance Major, you could say I’m married to my work.”, the Major nodded “I used to think the same too, until,” he sighed.

Applejack frowned “Sorry about reminding you Major. I heard about what happened.”

“No, it alright.” And the Major walked away.


Rainbow Dash talked with Hercules “Still can’t believe you slept through that fire.”

“I know darling; I feel silly for missing it. And of course, I was a little sad to learn about Ten Bits, although he does pulls off those sunglasses amazingly well, and Blake’s a lot of fun.”

“Yeah that foal’s awesome, bet he’ll be a role model for blind ponies in the future.”

“I don’t doubt it my dear.”

Rainbow blushed and shook herself “Why do you keep saying stuff like that, I am you superior you know?”

“True, but this is an informal occasion, we’re only in uniform because Spitfire demanded it. Still it does make the mares swoon when I pass by in this get up.”

“Your almost as bad as Thunderlane, he’s swaps mare-friends like Spike swaps comic books.”

“And what about you and relationships? I notice you have a thing for Soarin.”

“I, I, how?” she sighed “Maybe. But I’ve been staying away from the Wonderbolts unless needed, so I haven’t talked with him outside of training or Wonderbolt related stuff. I mean with the map back in the Castle of Friendship I don’t know when I might be called away.”

“That’s not the whole truth is it darling?”, Rainbow bit her lip “Okay I’ll tell you this, but I don’t want the others to know, it’s Wonderbolt tradition, but I really hate the nickname I’ve been given.”

“I’ve heard them refer to you as Crash once or twice, why so?”

“It’s short for,” she gritted her teeth “Rainbow Crash.”

“A bit harsh my dear.”

“You don’t know the half of it. When I was a filly, way before I got my cutie mark by performing my first Sonic Rainboom, I was not a great flyer. Then, one day in flight school I messed up and landed in a garbage can. A colt nearby called me Rainbow Crash and then every-pony, even the teacher started laughing. Then I made a similar mess on my first day as a Wonderbolt and then they started calling me that here. I don’t know why I reacted, I’d gotten over it by the time of the Young Flyers competition, didn’t even react when Spike said it during that Poison Joke trouble, but then when the Wonderbolts called me that, my idols call me the name I hated so much.”

“Celestia,” Hercules said, “shouldn’t you say something?”

“I could only just admit it to my friends, you I trust Hercules, you a good stallion, I definitely couldn’t tell the other Wonderbolts, it would make me look weak, I’ve always relied on action more than words. If having that nickname means being a Wonderbolt I’ll just live through it. And Spitfire isn’t the type to change lightly.”

“She might not,” said a voice causing Rainbow’s eyes to widen and her heart flutter, “but I will.” Soarin appeared from behind a pillar.

“Soarin sir,” Hercules said narrowing his eye “you weren’t spying on us we’re you?”

“No, I was on my way to get another pie when I heard Rainbow Dash discuss her nickname, suddenly it makes a lot of sense.” He turned to her “I’ve been through similar.”

“What?”

“When I was in flight school I was a clumsy flyer too, ended up crashing and hurting myself a few too many times. I still do sometimes, remember how I clipped and broke my wing at Rainbow Falls?”

“Yeah, you did that a lot as a foal?”

“Yeah, the bullies called me Sore-in, and the teacher wasn’t any the wiser since it sounded some much like my real name. I don’t mind Clipper as a nickname, but that because our nicknames are meant to be fun jabs, just a little joke between friends, but if it’s hurting you, then it affects your flying and your discipline, like that first flight show," he then put his hoove to his forehead "and the stuff in the barracks.”

Rainbow gave a big sigh “I just wanted to do something awesome so maybe I could get a different nickname, but I ended up causing a mess, you were right to call me that, but, it still hurts me, not as much as it used to.”

“Actually, I wanted to help. I wanted to fly into that storm cloud before you did.”

“What? You’d hurt yourself over my mistake, why?”

“You’ve seen my cutie mark?”

“At Cadance and Shining Armour’s wedding yes, what that got to do with it?”

“I’m very resistant to electricity, Dad joked I must be made of rubber. Before I joined the Bolts, I handled the storm clouds, for fun I used to fly into them and burst them, I’d have trails of lighting coming off me as I flew out.”

“That. Sounds. Awesome!” Rainbow yelled “Why have I never seen you do that?”

“Because Spitfire won’t allow it. She prefers military precision flying; everypony must fly as one unit like we’re machines. I haven’t flown into a storm cloud for a long time. I would have to save you from being shocked, but Spitfire stopped me.” He sighed and looked away “Like you Dash I wanted to be a Wonderbolt, just to show those bullies at flight school how good I could be, and I did, but when I first joined I didn’t like Spitfire’s way of handling things, like I said machines, synchronised, yeah military stuff is meant to show the power a team, but we’re also about entertaining, but.”

“You don’t feel your putting on a real show?”

“Not really. I mean I’ve seen other member of the Bolts with special talents, you for example, you’re the most talented flyer I’ve ever seen, you performed a Sonic Rainboom, I thought that was just a legend.”, Rainbow blushed at the praise.

A voice came from behind Soarin “Elite groups are meant to have a certain degree of free thinking.”, the older Wonderbolt flinched and turned around and blinked at the glare coming off the polished metal, Rainbow spoke “Hey Major, what do you mean?”

The Major nodded at the cyan mare and turned to Soarin and saluted “Major Green Fields, late of Her Majesty’s Fifth Regiment of Hoof, and what I mean is that the Third Hoof had an elite subgroup, the Commandos, their members were chosen due to their individuality, their intelligence and initiative. And because of that they were the most elite of the Royal Guard for almost a hundred years and the Third keep up their practices. Discipline mattered but it wasn’t the top priority.”

Soarin blinked “How come I never heard of them?”

“The Commandos also dipped into sabotage and espionage, many of their action are still top secret.”

Soarin nodded and then looked around, “Where’s Hercules?”

“He told me,” the Major said, “he was giving you two some private time.” And he walked of leaving both Pegasi blushing. The stallion turned to her “Rainbow?”

“Yeah?”

“Can we go outside for a moment.”

“Sure.”

As they walked towards the gardens Hercules turned to a surprised Spitfire “Looks like I might win the bet darling.”, the leader of the Wonderbolts turned to the reservist “They haven’t said anything, Clipper and Crash may not do anything outside.”

“We’ll see my dear, we’ll see.”

Outside in the gardens the pair sat next a tree, Rainbow looked to him “What do you want to talk about out here?”

“I, how should I put this. Ever since the Young Flyers Contest I’ve been, interested in you, then we meet again here at the Gala two years ago,” he chuckled “when you saved my pie.”

“Kind of silly really.”

“Not when you like pie as much as I do, and your friend Applejack makes some great pies, having one that delicious go to waste, I’d never forgive myself.” He then sighed “Then the Wind Rider incident, I don’t know what came over me to accuse you, I was tearing myself up inside but I guess as one of the top flyer I had to make sure justice was done, thank Celestia Rarity found out the truth.” He then smiled “Then you got picked to be one of us. Then flying beside you in that first show, I was sad you pulled away, then seeing you launched back and forth, I just couldn’t stand and watch, but Spitfire made me.” He sighed with a groan “What I’m trying to say is, I like you Rainbow, not just, as a friend, I, I want to ask, Rainbow Dash?”

“Yeah Soarin?” Throughout his monologue her eyes widened at what he said, now she almost expected them to pop out of her head, and they might just if he was going to say what she thought.

“Rainbow, would you, be my, my mare-friend?”

Her wings sprang out and she went into a moment of fangirling repeating “Oh my gosh.” Rough three dozen time at about a million miles an hour.

“Equestria to Rainbow Dash.” Soarin called. She blinked and smiled wider then she had when Spitfire told her she was a proper Wonderbolt, she nodded repeatedly “Yes!” she yelled “Celestia yes!”, she might have start bouncing like Pinkie Pie if the stallion hadn’t unfurled his wings and pulled her into a hug. Both of them blushed at their closeness, taking the plunge he leaned in and kissed her on the cheek, she squeaked and he chuckled, he could hear her fangirling even from inside her head, “Come on, let’s get back to Gala, or else every-pony will wonder where we got to.”, she smiled and nodded, before her expression turned sultry “I bet we’ll be going places in the future.”, he blinked and blushed before smirking himself “I hope so.” He let her go from his wings and they headed back inside.

But Rainbow paused and face-hoofed "How're Mom and Dad going to react when they here about this?"

Soarin chuckled "Don't sweat it Rainbow, I get similar from my Dad, they mean well.", Rainbow nodded "Yeah, they sure do."


Rarity stood with Top Hat, listening to him talk to some of her high society friends including Fancy Pants and Fleur Dis Lee. She could also just make out the shape of Prince Blueblood.

Her relationship to the Prince stood on thin ground. Two years ago, at her first Gala, after becoming infatuated by him she hoped to meet him and they’d fall in love, however when they did in fact meet he treated her with little respect, and indeed to the exact opposite of what a chivalrous prince should do, so accustomed to being treated like royalty he acted spoilt and so self-centred he probably believed the world revolved around him.

Rarity final couldn’t take her treatment by him any longer and so before she and the girls made a getaway she gave him a real piece of her mind.

Later, they meet again for a publicity stunt, when she tried to rise the social ladder of Canterlot, thankfully because of Fancy Pants she didn’t fall so hard. After the stunt ended they swiftly parted ways. She did catch a glimpse of him during the Equestria Games but they did speak to each other.

However, in the last year she got reports from Sassy Saddle, manageress of the Canterlot Boutique, where apparently, the Prince visited as a patron. She knew having such a high profile, celebrity figure as the Prince as a patron would boost her business, but her view of the Prince as a pony, well she needed a lot of convincing.

Top Hat continued with his story “When that steel rig smashed into the bridge the only thing I could say towards Zebedee was “That’s real zero thinking dummy.”” The group laughed, Fancy Pants turned to Rarity “You friend here is very charming Miss Rarity, I would have never believed Bridle City was home to such a pony.”

Top Hat responded, “I afraid I shouldn’t take all the praise, while I strive to and relish the chance to be the centre of attention, just like with my leading of the city’s Summer Sun Parade, I do admit when I had help with the bridge incident, if it wasn’t for Mr Grubber Wings, who for reason I can’t fathom is nicknamed “Lord Stinker.” Then we could have lost a goods trains.”

“Really?” Fancy Pants asked, “Pray tell what happened?”

“Well you see…” He began to explain, first the mail train which he saved, then the bridge collapse and Grubber Wing’s idea. A few ponies cringed at the idea of a train landing in a barge load of rubbish, but it still saved the locomotive and the driver from a dip in the canal.

Fancy Pants bowed “A most valiant endeavour sir. Now do tell us about your colleagues, even we of Canterlot know of your employer Captain Star,” he turned to the dark blue unicorn standing close by to Ten Bits, Blake and Sunshine before returning to Top Hat “But what his son and the small Unicorn?”

Top Hat blinked and his eyes widened “Ten Bits is Captain Star’s son?” he said under his breath, he then face-hoofed “Why didn’t I see it before, no wonder Captain Star didn’t leave his bedside after the fire.” He sighed “I’m sorry I can’t really say much on either Ten Bits or Sunshine, I don’t really want to say anything bad about me colleagues…”, a crash sounded and a punch bowl came flying towards them, Top Hat’s eye widened and quickly he stopped it with his magic. A drop or two spilled out and dripped onto the brim of Top Hat’s peak cap. The green Unicorn sighed, put the blow on the back of one of the waiters and took deep breath, before he hollered “Warrior!”

“Sorry.” Said Earth Pony called, a table cloth on his body, Pinkie Pie stood close by, and Marble right next to her, a tray of cupcake on her back “Sorry Mr Top Hat, one of my cupcakes fell off the tray when I got a twitch, then Warrior stepped on it and slide on the icing and into the table with the punch.”

Top Hat grunted “I thought Captain Star told you to stay out of trouble?”

“Top Hat,” Rarity said with a slight scowl “Pinkie just explained it wasn’t Warrior’s fault.”

“I’m sorry Rarity, it just I so used to Warrior causing problems, the only times I can recall him actually doing something right was with the log jam Upriver and the mess with Izzy Bulmer.”

Fancy Pants spoke “Oh really and what did those incidents entail and how did your accident-prone associate correct them?”

“I suppose I should start with the log ram. You see last winter…”

Rarity excused herself from the conversation, Top Hat already went into detail about more adventurous exploits with the Star Company when she visited with the Council of Friendship after the Great Fire of Bridle City Port, she wanted to meet up with her friends to check how things went.

As she left some-pony cleared his throat, she turned and found Prince Blueblood standing before her, she glared “What do you want, your Highness.”. Blueblood winced at the bile in the manner she addressed him, he took a deep breath and sighed “I know I am late, but I wish to apologise for my actions during the Gala two years previous.”

Rarity blinked and her jaw bobbed.

Blueblood continued “If you wish, as I would prefer, can we talk in private? For I wish to explain myself.”

Rarity checked her pocket watch “Very well, if it doesn’t take too long.”

“I shall endeavour to be quick.”, the went into one of the side gardens. Blueblood saw a rosebush and smiled, with his magic he picked one and gave it to her “My deepest apologises Miss Rarity.”, Rarity gave a small smile with a nodded and place the rose in her button hole.

The Prince sighed and looked up “I’ve always questioned what my place is in the world.”, Rarity titled her head, unusual way to start.

“I guess I should explain, my family, the Blueblood line have been in Canterlot almost from its founding, it’s also said we’re descended from an elder sibling of the Royal Sisters.”

Rarity’s eyes widened “An elder Alicorn than Celestia and Luna?”, Blueblood shrugged “It’s only a family legend, more a myth really, but one can get very attached to myths, my ancestors especially, somewhere in the past an earlier Prince Blueblood thought because of the myth he stood on equal ground with Princess Celestia, and it went to his head, only the finest for him and his family, and he determined the finest, he cut the family ties to the Necropolis and chose to local Bat Pony Undertaker.”

Rarity narrowed her eyes “Miss Vigil, Ponyville’s Undertaker said that any Bat Pony Undertaker outside the Necropolis, herself included were failed students.”

Blueblood nodded “We found that out later, a sad thing is the Bluebloods of the past based quality on their imagination, not the opinions of those,” he shut his eyes and gritted his teeth “in their words, below them.”

“So, your family has always been spoiled and self-centred?”

“Yes, and I had to keep up this, tradition, it you can call it that. I acted that way though I didn’t approve.”

Rarity wide eyes transformed into a glare, almost a powerful as Fluttershy’s Stare “You were pretending?”

He nodded “To fulfil the place my family made for me.” He shut his eyes and shook his head “Which goes against my passion, and my skills.” He glanced at his compass rose cutie mark. “I have a love of travelling, but given my position here and the way I have to act, no-pony would ever choose me for a delegation.”

“We don’t you just change?”

“Because my Father, though I hated him, made me promise to continue the, tradition. He seemed very much suited for it. He married my mother not for love but for convenience, and I wonder if they ever truly loved me, or if I was just the heir to the name. A name I wish I didn’t have.”

“Why?”

“Because my Father told me what he believed. He explained about the power and authority carried by the name Blueblood. He explained about the proper role of servants. And their duty to provide for their master's needs. All their needs. He explained that mother, of course, knew all about this. She had her own pool of stallions and colts, while Father had his nannies and maids. And he explained that if a servant found herself in an… uncomfortable condition, it was her own fault, and a potential embarrassment to the Blueblood name. So, it was only appropriate that they be sent on their way for their indiscretions.

“And he explained all of this happily and cheerfully. There was no shame, or embarrassment. He was simply laying out the facts of life to his heir and successor. In his mind, he was, if anything, bonding with me. Throughout it all, I just listened and nodded, quiet and wide eyed. And when Father was finished, and had returned to his paper, I excused myself from his presence and quietly left the room. Once out of sight, I ran out the door and to my bedroom. Locked myself in and broke down crying.”

Rarity just blinked “That’s utterly dreadful! How can you live with yourself doing things like that?”

He gave her a stern look “I don’t, but I have a lot of angry towards my Father. The house servants are quite good at replacing the fine furniture with more inferior stock when I let my rage get the better of me.” He sighed and shook his head “I also do my best to help charities anonymously. There’s Miss Coco Pommel in Manhattan if I recall.”, Rarity surprised just nodded, “I give a large sum to charities that I know are helping my many siblings.”

“Your,” she gulped “Bas…”

“My brothers and sisters. I make sure their happy, that’s what family is for.” He said firmly, “As for my persona, it’s more a parody of my Father, if I must keep up this tradition for how long I live, then I might as well make fun of it, without crossing too many lines.” He chuckled “In fact your outburst two years ago, allowed myself the chance to act more like myself, giving the impression I had somewhat reformed. Thank you.”

Rarity just blinked with her mouth open “Your, welcome.”

He smirked “Also, you have the smell of cats, I’m more dog pony myself.” They shared a laugh, then she paused before asking “Can I ask if you have any mare-friends?”

He shook his head “And I don’t have any current plans to, not while the legacy of my Father still hangs over me, if I am the last of the Bluebloods, then I’ll be fine, but if I do have an heir, then I won’t let them to be the pony my Father was.” He took a deep sigh “If you please I wish to be alone.”

Rarity nodded and left. Suddenly her whole view on Prince Blueblood changed, deep down a conflicted but concerned stallion, but forcing himself to do this, a tragic figure. ‘I should speak with Princess Celestia.’

The line of ponies wishing to greet the Princess disappeared by this point, so Rarity walked up and found the Princess speaking with a Bat Pony stallion, her eyes widened at him. His coat a shining greyish blue matching his finely polished leathery wings. Mane and tail of two tones, peach red and burgundy. His eyes a deep burning orange, with the slit pupils common to all Bat Ponies. As he spoke in his refined bass, which rumbled through her in an amazing way she just couldn’t describe, she saw his pearly white teeth along with his sharp fangs.

Over his body a finely tailored tightfitting white doublet with frills, allowing her a very good look at the outline of his body and the hint of some of his muscles. His collar low enough just to see dark birthmark for a double-headed bat.

Celestia spoke “Rarity? Do you need something.”

Rarity blinked and looked up “Oh,” she paused and nodded “Yes, I was speaking with Prince Blueblood, he told me about his public persona, he’s doing it to keep up a tradition he hates and it’s keeping him from his passion of traveling. I don’t like to see him suffer like that.”

Celestia nodded “I appear to be finished here so I will speak to him, where did you last see him.”, Rarity told the Princess about the side garden. Celestia nodded and glanced at her guest “Rarity, may I introduce Moonlight Spectre, he’s the youngest son of Lord Shadow Mark, the Head Mortician, here to represent the Necropolis.”

The Unicorn curtsied and the Bat Pony bowed, Rarity spoke first “I’ve heard some interest things about the Necropolis from our local Funeral Director.”

Moonlight smirked “I bet you have, very proud of our greatest colony are we Bat Ponies.”

“I must say you do look absolutely ravishing in that outfit. It makes you, irresistible.”

“Oh really? I’ve never known any Day Pony say that to me before.”

“But you do. Is that French Haute Couture?”

Celestia grinned and left the two to talk.

“It is based on the work of French Lamare; indeed, I believe it was first worn by a noble-stallion from his life time, Frobisher I believe he was called.”, Rarity’s eyes widened “I thought it was a myth that you took the cloths of the dead!”

“No, it’s true. Our clients usually arrive in their regular dress, we take them off and depending on the method of burial, we do dress them in finery before their funerals, whether it’s new, or supplied by the family.”

Rarity gave a small sigh, at least there existed some decency, then she raised her eyebrow “Is that why it looks a bit tight on you?”

“The doublet is meant to be tight, over the centuries this garment has been recut and stitched to fit its new wearer.”

“Centuries?” She exclaimed “Then I cannot be the same as it started.”

“Very true, but it’s not a fake, it is still the Frobisher suit, and because of it has changed gently overtime, it is still a good suit. My favourite for special occasions to be precise.”, Rarity couldn’t quite understand, but she couldn’t help but feel drawn to Moonlight as he spoke. “I can tell we’ll have a lot to discuss.”

Moonlight smirked and his fang glinted “I’m very much looking forward to it.”

“Then please, let me introduce to you my friends, Top Hat and Fancy Pants.”

“Lead the way then my lady.”, Rarity resisted the urge to squeal at being called “My lady.”


Captain Star laughed as the Major finished “And you’re sure it was the bicarbonate of soda?”

The Major shook his head “I just thought to say something to lighten the mood. Although I’m not sure Doctor Time Turner took it as a joke.”

“I’m not surprised.” Said a new voice “After the destruction he caused.”

The two military ponies turned as another military dressed pony approached them. A male Unicorn, with a cream coat with a slight hint of brown, his mane and tail made of three tone, starting with a dark greyish brown to a medium tone and finally and pale grey brown. His cutie mark appeared as a thin wingless dragon, bearing a resemblance to Discord, the dragon formed a circle and indeed, seemed to be eating its own tail.

His uniform looked like Captain Stars, a tailcoat-tunic combination of equal amounts of white and dark blue, the same colours as the coats of Celestia and Luna, with polished brass buttons and guiled epaulettes, a sword at his waist, a black bicorn hat with plumes.

This figure sat door with the pair and held out a hoof “I’m Lionheart, Sir Lionheart.”

The Major blinked and took the hoof “You’re Captain Sentry’s mentor.”

“Yes, Royal Knight and the twelfth of the current members.”

Captain Star narrowed his eyes “So you’re in the top half of the order?”

“Actually, there’s only twelve of us at current. We usually number twenty-six but,” he sighed “It’s odd, more ponies live in the Equestria than ever before and yet we can’t seem to find enough individuals to meet our standards, plus some of the more recent candidates have been rejected by Princess Luna, she did spend a thousand years in the moon to dwell on the Royal Knights of early Equestria. Sir Defender Warden and High Mountain for example.”

Both nodded, Lionheart sighed but then glanced to where Ten Bits talked with Sunshine, Twilight and Flash “You know, it’s common for a Clover Cross winner to be considered for the order.”

Captain Star’s eyes widened “I don’t think Ten Bits would like that, he’s still having trouble coping with being a receiver of the award.”

Lionheart nodded “You’re right, Flash is most likely going to be the next thirteenth. He could even make Governor if he works hard enough.”

The Major looked down at Lionheart’s cutie mark “Sir Lionheart, can I ask, what is with you mark?”

“I get asked about it a lot, the dragon of the east is a symbol of strength, power and wisdom, although there are rumours that the dragons of east are actually Dracon-Equus.” Lionheart glanced to the table in the far corner where Fluttershy, Tree Hugger, Discord, King Thorax and Cipher all sat around chatting. He returned to the confused duo “Rumours, there’s no evidence of any other Dracon-Equine creature beyond Discord existing, so other think the dragon of the east may actually be Discord.”

The Major raised an eyebrow “Discord and wisdom?”

Lionheart nodded “Unorthodox perhaps but he has allowed Princess Twilight to grow and learn in her position. As for why the dragon is in a circle, a circle stands for infinity, unity and wholeness. Unity in Equestria is specific to me, it’s my goal,” he put his hoof to the hilt of his sword “and I will use my strength, power and wisdom to achieve and preserve the unity.”

Captain Star nodded, but cleared his thought “Well then, what else should we talk about?”, Lionheart tapped his hoof to his chin and looked to the Captain “I’d like to know some of the stuff you got up to in the Royal Marines.”


Starlight sighed, she still had trouble connecting with friends, she’d been successful with the Elements, but still. Here she felt undeserved of being here, the Grand Galloping Gala. Out of her league.

Currently she stood close to a table with table with Fluttershy, Tree Hugger, Discord, Thorax and Cipher. Grampus and Sapphire Shores left to enjoy the night elsewhere.

A shadow came over her and she turned. Prince Blueblood stood before her, now a bycoket hat on his head, its wide brim turned up at the back and cut into a V shape and pointed in the front like a bird's beak.

Starlight narrowed her eyes “Your Highness?”

“Yes, Miss Glimmer.”

“You don't usually wear a hat.”

“I decided to now, Auntie Celestia gave me some advice very recently, so I decided on a change. Need some-pony to talk to?”

“No, I’m fine.”

“Clearly, you’re not, you’re at the Grand Galloping Gala and you’re staying out of the way. Are you scare of something?”

“Maybe I just don’t like very big crowds.”

“If that’s true then Miss Fluttershy,” he darted his eyes over to the yellow Pegasus, who currently sat with Discord, Tree Hugger Thorax and Cipher at a table “Miss Fluttershy wouldn’t be here enjoying herself. A besides you got awarded membership to the Order of the Pink Heart of Courage.”

“She only doing that with friends.”

“True, but every now and then one must leave their comfort zone, that’s how Fluttershy made her friend, at least that’s what I’ve heard. Your scare of making friends and being able to keep them, correct?”, Starlight stared at him “How did you? Who? What?”

“I’m very perceptive. What I’m doing is getting to know as many from Ponyville, or should I say, the Everfree Kingdom now, since I’ll be travelling to and from there.”

“Oh. So, what are you going to be doing?”

“I’m supposed to helping a Miss Burning Heart help raise and train her goddaughter Aura.”, Starlight’s eyes widened “You’re an Aura Guardian!”

“So, you’ve heard of them?”

“Flash told us of Sir High Mountain. You should speak to Twilight, she wants to know more about aura and it connection to Jakhowls.” She glanced to Cipher “You should talk to Cipher too, he has a Jakhowl companion.”, Blueblood looked up “Really? I thought they’d disappeared. Thank you for the suggestion. I hope I can get the move to Ponyville done fast.”

“Why?”

He shrugged “Can’t really stand Canterlot. Ponyville sounds lot better, quieter and every-pony knowing everyone else. I may buy a house there, a home away from home perhaps?”

“I hope to see you in Ponyville soon.”, he nodded “After my affairs here are sorted out. Right now, I need to speak with some other ponies.”

Starlight watch him trot towards Fluttershy. She grinned to herself before walking away.

Blueblood glanced back and narrowed his eyes ‘I’ll have to watch her.’


Sitting at the table Discord suddenly stiffened midsentence, this took both every-pony else by surprise and they glanced at each other.

Thorax spoke first “Something troubling you Discord?”, Tree Hugger continued saying “Yeah, your vibes have gone all, not groovy.”

“I just felt unnerved by something.” Discord looked up and blinked before narrowing his eyes “Maybe it’s something to do with him.” He pointed and the other turned as a Blueblood walked up he then spoke “Forgive me for intruding, but may I join in on this conversation?”

Fluttershy’s wings twitched slightly before she smiled “Oh no please, go right ahead you’re Highness, I’m sure,” she glanced at Discord “every-pony wouldn’t mind.”, the Spirit of Chaos huffed and Tree Hugger smile with a tilted head “Really digging your vibes, really out there. I’d like to know you, you know?”

“I believe so, and you can simply call me Blueblood, I’m going to be visiting Ponyville soon, I may plan to buy a house in the town.”

“Oh really?” Fluttershy asked “You should tell Pinkie, so she can prepare a welcoming party for you.”

“I’m keep that in mind Miss Fluttershy.”

“Oh, please just Fluttershy you’re Highness.”

“It’s only fair the same thing applies for you to me.”, Discord suddenly pushed his face into Blueblood’s “Excuse me but I cannot help but notice this is a little forward of a progression.”, Blueblood shut his eyes and took a breath, his eye snapped open, is irises once a sky blue, now a glowing dark blue, his mane and tail started floating and began swirling and he spoke, his voice layered with deeper mystic tone “Could you kindly remove yourself from my face?”, Discord shuddered and launched back almost into a pillar and stood shaking “That, that was aura!”

Cipher blinked “Like Riolu and the filly Aura?”

Blueblood blinked and his eye returned to their normal colour and he turned to him “Riolu? Is that the name of your Jakhowl?”

Cipher nodded “Do you know what it means?”

“Wow,” Tree Hugger said “that caused a real shift in my chakras. You must be powerful spiritual.”

“Indeed, but I don’t use it often, no real call unless needed.” He sighed “Being an Aura Guardian today doesn’t do much to earn money, it’s a dying art really, I’m just thankful I learned about little Aura so I can teach her like my mentor did in secret.” He sighed again and shut his eyes “His family was one with the aura, but it’s not a lifesaving skill, his mother died, she had an accident while out shopping, his father tried to use her aura essence to revive her, transference is tricky, you have to give what you take, so to revive his beloved wife he gave his life up.” A hoof touched his, he blinked and turned to see a teary eyed Fluttershy, blushing he grinned and pulled from his coat a handkerchief, he gave it to her “His mother never really gotten over it, my mentor did though he didn’t like it. Broken heart can take ages to heal, and of course we can’t change the past, if we did it could be catastrophic, or so I’ve heard.”

Tree Hugger shut her eyes and leaned back “Deep, real deep.”

Fluttershy glanced to Cipher.

At that moment Celestia called everyone’s attention “If I could have every-pony’s attention, Princess Twilight Sparkle wishes to make an announcement.”, her former student, with Flash Sentry at her side took centre stage “Thank you, I do not know how many of you will approve, but Captain Flash Sentry has, ask for my hoof in marriage.” Eyes widened and murmurs travelled across the room.

Twilight took her deep breath and turned to her guard “Flash, my answer is yes.” She nuzzled his head and Flash accepted before planting a kiss on her forehead.

Cipher reared up and started clapping, Fluttershy joined in, Tree Hugger followed suit. From across the hall they heard the squeals of delight from both Rarity and Pinkie, before more ponies started clapping.

Blueblood chuckled “They look like a fine couple.”

“Oh,” Fluttershy said “they so adorable together. I wonder where the wedding’s going to be held. Ponyville makes the best sense, but they meet in the Crystal Empire, and Cadance and Shining Armour where married here in Canterlot.” She blinked “I wonder how Shining Armour will react?”

“Oh,” Cipher said, “is he that type of elder brother?”

“From what I’ve seen,” Thorax said chuckled “yes.”

Fluttershy turned to those present at the table “I’m sorry but I need to join with the others.”

“Go right ahead.” Cipher said.

Tree Hugger nodded “Yeah friend, I sense nothing wrong.”, Discord chuckled “If you remind her to invite me to the wedding I should be fine.”, Fluttershy nodded and trotted towards the Princess of Friendship.

Discord slivered up to Blueblood “So, you’re coming to Ponyville?”, Blueblood nodded “Yes so you’d best behave yourself.”

“Where’s the fun in that?”

“You can have fun so long as no-pony is hurt, be it physically or mentally, harm any and I bet Miss Fluttershy won’t be impressed.”

Discord sighed “I guess you’re right. But,” he leaned toward him “What can you do that’s any worse than what I’ve been through?”

“The aura is very powerful, if it comes to it, I would gladly die if it meant killing you.” His eyes stood glowing “And I would do it, so, are you feeling lucky.”

Discord backed up and sweated.

Blueblood sighed as let his aura go “Right now, we shouldn’t argue, for tonight,” he said turned towards the Princess of Friendship, her fiancé and the Council of Friendship, he also caught Rainbow Dash’s hoof leaving that of Soarin’s, thus making him grinned “we stand witness of the creation of new destinies. Let’s hope things turn out alright.”

PreviousChapters Next