• Published 11th May 2017
  • 1,094 Views, 83 Comments

The EK - Magi Tail Welkin



The Everfree Kingdom, small but very active. Life and laughs continued in Ponyville, not just for the Mane Six, but every-pony, old and new, living in Equestria’s newest nation. (Everfree Kingdom name by Jay the Brony/ Jay David.)

  • ...
4
 83
 1,094

PreviousChapters Next
The Soldiers of the Old Home Guard

Flash read the letter with some annoyance.

Twilight walked up to him “Flash what’s the matter?”

“It’s this letter.” He showed it to her, signed by the current Captain of the Guard for the Day Guard of Princess Celestia, a Unicorn named Gift Thicket “It seems there’s very few guards spare to form an Everfree Guard.”

“Well, I don’t really want the Castle filled with guards I do like a quiet place, and,” she blushed and smiled “I don’t really mind just having you here.”

Flash nodded and smiled himself “I know Twilight, it’s just, I’m the Captain of the Everfree Guard.” He proudly said tapping the chest plate of his armour, with its new purple tree symbol, then he faltered “But there’s no actually guard.”

Captain of the Guard is not associated with the rank of Captain. But since the E.U.P Guard is the oldest and most important section of the Equestrian Military the Captain of the Guard, whatever rank he or she is, outranks all others, Wonderbolt or Royal Navy. In Shining Armour’s case, as the highest-ranking officer of the Crystal Guard, and a Prince, he would be a Field Marshal, sometime referred to as a General of the Army. The Captains of the Day and Night Guard are ranked as ordinary generals. Flash didn’t really know what rank he would fall under just yet, so he simply settled for Captain.

A knock came for the door. Spike opened it up and First Base walked in “Hey Flash I’ve got some news for you.”

“What Sport?”

“Major Fields been asking around for volunteers.”

Twilight frowned her eyebrows and turned to Flash “Major Fields?”

“Late of Her Majesty’s Fifth Regiment of Hoof.”, she still looked at him confused Flash sighed “Retired Earth Pony Guard. He’s got a private estate on the other side of the big hill beyond Sweet Apple Arches,”, Twilight nodded understanding. Flash then turned to this little brother “What’s the Major want volunteers for?”

“He’s forming a temporary guard for Ponyville. The Home Guard he’s calling it.”

“Home Guard?”

Before First Base could respond singing could be heard along the streets.

“Call out the Navy…Call out the rank…Call out the Wonderbolts…Get off your flanks…”

Twilight, Flash, Spike and First Base existed the Castle and looked up the street.

A group of roughly sixteen equines matching towards them. Five lines of three.

At the front marched several older ponies, probably from the retirement village. Leading them a tall but aged Earth Pony stallion with a brushy white moustache and dressed in a military tunic and peaked cap with a short stick held under his right foreleg.

To the side of the ranks marched a middle-aged Unicorn stallion dressed in a tailcoat, an armband with sergeant stripes on his sleeve.

Included within the ranks marched Doctor Time Turner, Ponyville’s resident timekeeper and inventor. Rarity’s neighbour Caramel, a rather forgetful pony, but his bumbling does help him as a rodeo clown. Along with him his Pegasus housemate Lucky Clover. And most surprising to Twilight a female Zebra, Zecora, normally she lives in her hut within the Everfree Forest where she brews herbal medicines. To see her in town, a rare sight indeed. She seemed to be enjoying the rhythming as the group marched.

“From the cliff of Hoover call up the gulls…And don’t forgot to loyal territorials…But who’s digging in here? Who will defend…Every inch of Everfree no matter what they send? Who’s standing firm in our own front yard? The Soldiers of the Old Home Guard, that’s who! The Soldiers of the Old Home Guard.”

The older ponies at the front started sing by themselves “For we wrote the stories of the old brigades…We know the glory of yesterday’s parades!” The every-pony re -joined the chorus “Who’s standing firm in our own front yard? The Soldiers of the Old Home Guard, that’s who! The Soldiers of the Old Home Guard.”

As they approached the amazed Princess and her Guard-pony the Sergeant called out “Platoon halt!”, the group took two step forward then stopped. The leader continued to march up to Twilight and Flash, he halted before them and saluted “Major Green Fields reporting. I anticipated the shortage of good Guard-ponies so myself and some colleagues of mine took the liberty of assembling this group to fill in.”

Flash saluted back and spoke “It was good of you to have the initiative sir,” he looked at some of the assembled “Aren’t a good few of these ponies, too old or inexperienced?”

“They’re willing to keep the peace sir, I like keenness in soldiers. With the Princess and her Council, we can be sure of the largest threats being dealt with, think of us more as a police force. And don’t worry about training, myself and my colleagues will get them in order. Care to inspect them sir?”

Flash looked at them and an unsure expression crossed his lips “Not today, when their more, presentable.”

“Yes sir.” The Major turned around and called to the Sergeant “You can dismiss the parade Sergeant.”, the Sergeant saluted and turned to the platoon “Platoon. Officer on Parade, dismissed!”, the group saluted Major and Flash before turning slightly, marching a few passes before filling off in different directions

Twilight walked up to the Zebra “Zecora? What are you doing on this Home Guard?”

“When the Major came asking the call, I offered my remedies to one and all.”

“So, you’re their First Aid advisor?”, the Zebra nodded.

The Sergeant walked up to the Major “We should be returning to Kimblewick Hall sir.”

“Very well Porter.” He looked back to Flash and Twilight “My Steward Sergeant Porter, acts as my butler.” He leaned in a whisper “Decent sergeant, dash good butler.” He then stepped back “Don’t worry about arranging meeting, we’re having them held at my estate in the evenings and on the weekends, unless members have prior engagements of course.”

Twilight’s eyes widened “That seems a bit far out of town for a headquarters.”

The Major held up his hoof “On the contrary your Highness, it’s on one of the main cart roads into the village, very strategic point for any possible invasion. And secondly my estate is very large so we can do many types of training.”

Flash narrowed his eyebrow “It sounds to me as if your taking command.”

The Major frowned his eyebrow “Well naturally. I formed this unit, it seems only right I should command it.”

“But I’m Captain of the Guard here.” Flash pointed out. The Major held up a hoof “Don’t worry we’ll report to you when necessary, and of course if you need us for anything just come down to our headquarters.” And the Major and Porter left before Flash could respond.

Flash snorted angrily, Twilight took his hoof “It’s okay Flash. There only temporary. Maybe we should see which guards are available?”

“Yeah, the sooner we form an actual Everfree Guard the better.”

Twilight nodded “We’ve also got some papers to go through.” And the two walked back into the Castle. She then asked, “What’s Steward?”

“A solider assigned to an officer as a personal servant. I guess Porter followed the Major when he left the Fifth Hoof.”


In the stables hall of Kimblewick Hall. The platoon of the Everfree Home Guard stood in two lines.

Porter called out the order “Platoon attention!”, the betting of hooves sounded. Followed by one late step.

The Major grimaced “Try to keep up Cold Steel.”, one of the older solider stallion nodded.

The Major then spoke to the ponies on the front row “Section One, here are the patrol rosters for this evening. Vigil and Caramel,” a grim-faced Bat Pony mare in an old suit and top hat looked to the Major as well as Caramel “You two patrol the riverbank.”

The two nodded. The Major called out again “Mr Waddle,” an elderly Earth Pony with a light grey coat, a dark grey combed-over mane of several strands of hair, large, thick-rimmed round glasses, a large bowtie, liver spots, and a cutie mark of a bubble pipe looked up.

The Major continued “You shall patrol the edge of the Everfree Forest.”

“Sorry, could you repeat that sir?”

“The Everfree Forest, I want you to patrol the edge of it.”, Waddle gulped but nodded. The Major looked to Lucky Clover “Clover, you patrol starts from the park to the town clock.”, Lucky narrowed his eyes “Permission to ask something privately sir?”, the Major nodded and Lucky walked up to him and whispered something. The Major shook his head “Mr Clover you have to do your duty. Princess Twilight and Captain Sentry are counting on us.”

Lucky grimaced and walked back to the ranks muttering something.

“Silence in the ranks.” The Major ordered “Now where was I? Oh yes, Miller, Post.”

A blue Earth Pony with a bag of flour and an egg cutie mark, wearing a black conical hat over his short blond mane and a red necktie around his neck stood to attention, Windy Miller, not only a miller but a hen farmer.

Parcel Post, a lanky light brown Earth Pony stallion stood next to Windy. He used to handle the letters of Ponyville, which somehow included the occasional letters for the Spirit of Chaos, after his unfortunate tangle within Discord’s dimension he quit the postal service and focused on his hobby of beekeeping.

Since then the Post Mistress, Muffins, acted as Post-mare and made a bit of a mess, getting ponies and addresses mix-up, not using the doors, Twilight and Starlight still talked about when she flew in through the window of the castle. Recently post seem to double, giving the mother of three foals a bit of a hard time.

The Major continued “You two patrol your side of the town. As for myself and Porter we will portal from here at the hall to Sweet Apple Arches. Every-pony else you can return to your homes, but keep your eyes peeled, this unit is also starting a neighbourhood watch.”, they all nodded.

Porter spoke “Now, if any-pony approaches you shout ‘Halt, who goes there?’ And you take down their credentials.”

Waddle raised his hoof “It might be a little bit awkward if I patrol the forest Major Fields, you see there are no conveniences there.”, Lucky looked at the older stallion “No. But there are plenty of trees there.”, Waddle shook his head “I don’t like that sort of things, and what if some nasty creature were to attack me?”

“I’ll tell you what.” Lucky said, “If you feel like you have to go, you just recite a little poem to yourself and it’ll take your mind off it.”, Waddle nodded “That’s a good idea yes.”

The Major nodded and looked to Porter, the butler turned to the platoon “Platoon, Patrol, to your posts, dismissed!”

As the group of ponies filed off Lucky trotted up to Caramel “Listen Caramel, can you do me a favour?”

“What do you mean Lucky?”, Lucky grinned put his wing over Caramel.


The orange Earth Pony stood outside a house near to the clock tower. He sighed.

Lucky opened a window from the house and called down “You all clear down there?”

Caramel frowned his eyebrows “You going to long Lucky? I’ve got my own duty to go to, you know how mad Miss Vigil can get.”

“Yeah but it’s like a told you my Mother, she’s very ill.”, form the room came the voice of a young mare “Come on Lucky.”, Lucky eyes shifted and said, “That’s her now.”

Caramel raised an eyebrow “She doesn’t sound ill to me, and she sounds bit young to be your mother.”

“Lucky?”

“Coming dear.” Lucky said quickly and shut the window.

Caramel turned away annoyed ‘Luna, he’s almost as bad a Thunderlane.’, another Pegasus, who seemed to constantly swap mare-friends. The Major did consider asking him to join but with Thunder being a Wonderbolt he declined to do so.

Thinking about mare-friends brought Sassaflash to the forefront of his mind, he smiled, the thoughts of here allowed him to keep going through the night.


Meanwhile Windy Miller walked up and down the main street from his family mill to the town centre. He heard hoof-steps. He turned to the source and shouted “Halt! Who goes there? Friend or foe?”

“Friend.” The voice of a stallion called. Windy followed his instructions “Advance to be recognised.”, a lanky Earth Pony walked up. Windy loosen up slightly but still asked “Can I see some identification?”

“Yes.” The stallion reach into his apron pocket and pull out his wallet he showed a card within it to Windy, he narrowed his eye “I can’t see in this light. You got touch?”

“No, but I’ve got a match.” The stallion put his wallet back in his pocket before he pulled out a box and gave them to Windy. Windy put stuck a match and waited as the stallion pulled the wallet out again and showed the card. He nodded “Just checking.”, he then dropped the match it burnt his hoof, he shook his hoof about.

“Think nothing of it.” The stallion said walking along.

Windy called “Hey Carrot! I’ve come around with the flour and the eggs in the morning, alright?”

“Okay!” Carrot Cake, of Sugarcube Corner called back. Windy smiled and went back to his patrol.


Thunder crashed in the Everfree Forest. Just on it edges Mr Waddle stood guard under a tree with an umbrella and with his legs crossed as the rain poured down in bucket loads. ‘The owl and the pussycat went to sea, in a beautiful pea green boat. They took some honey, and plenty of…’ he bit his lip ‘Oh dear.’


Vigil looked over the drenched pony lying on the riverbank. She pulled out a tape measure and begin taking the width and length of the character.

Bat Ponies are a rare and isolated race. They tend to live by themselves in mountain cave, the largest in the Foal Mountains called the Necropolis. The leader of the city is called the Head Mortician, and it is run like a business. From the title alone it is easy to work out the propose, the Bat Ponies there dedicate their lives to the care of the dead. Their job is to dispose of the body, or client as they prefer, in a dignified manner per their last wishes.

The most revered of clients are the Royal Family. The only exception being the Blueblood family, they prefer the services of the best undertakers in Canterlot. For this reason, those who can afford it often call for the services of the Necropolis.

When they learned about of how Princess Luna became jealous of Celestia due to how every-pony in Equestria shunned the night and did not appreciate its beauty, thus turning her in Nightmare Moon, and wishing for eternal night, the Bat Ponies protested, somehow the Princess of the Night forgot a species of pony who live during the night. However, by this point Nightmare Moon was banished to the moon itself and Celestia ruled as monarch.

When Celestia received a message from the then Head Mortician saying if something was not done to acknowledge their existence, the Bat Ponies of the Necropolis would no longer work for the Royal Family. Celestia decided to create the Night Guard, comprising entirely of Bat Ponies.

When Luna returned, she became quite surprised to find her own guard, the Night Guard became her personal guard among their other duties, and on top of this the Bat Ponies named Luna their Princess. The Head Mortician may rule the Necropolis, but now deferred to her, and any Bat Pony not a Necropolitan would refer to her for advice.

Vigil used to be an apprentice, but failed to acquire the necessary skills to remain a citizen of the Necropolis, so she moved to Ponyville. The worst in the Necropolis are the best elsewhere in Equestria. Indeed, the undertakers in Canterlot was founded by a failed apprentice as well. And as per Necropolis tradition she clothed her in garments left behind by the deceased she trained on, usual practice unless the client gave instructions to be interred dressed.

The pony woke up looked up at Vigil screamed and ran off. Vigil shook her head. Due to their bats wings and dark colours it gives them a fearful exterior. Historically ancient Bat Ponies would play at scaring ponies at night. Until they found purpose.

Vigil started walking along the riverbank. She took a breath of the night air and looked at the moon and the star, Princess Luna really knew how to craft a night sky. Then Vigil yawed, trouble with living in Ponyville, it meant long hours, usually for a Bat Pony when the day ended, their night began. She really hated going against her nocturnal instincts, it’s what made her so grumpy in the daytime, and sadly Ponyville did not have much in the way of a nightlife.


A couple of days after, the platoon gathered in a field of the Kimblewick Hall Estate, they stood near a barn.

Before them rested an odd contraption. Six pipes on a set of wheels pointing up. Some form of improvised weapon developed by Doctor Time Turner. Said inventor pushed his way through the small crowd as Major Fields and Porter followed behind “This way Major.” He stopped before the device “Permission to demonstrate my new, patent pending, Firework-firing-anti-aerial-attack-weapon sir?”

The Major looked it over “I think you need to come with a snapper name. But putting that aside carry on Doctor Turner.”

“Thank you, sir.” He moved his hoof about pointing to certain areas “Please kindly not some details, six drainpipes tied together and mounted on a wheeled base for mobility.”

Caramel spoke “Looks like an old pram.”, Lucky Clover nudged him to shut up. Time Turner nodded “Well Muffins needed a new one after little Dipsy was born. I never throw away anything useful.” He then shook himself and spoke again “Now the fireworks munitions use a special powder I developed of the following mixture, two-hundred and thirty grams of weed killer, six-hundred and eighty grams of sugar and a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda.”

The Major nodded “Show us how it works.”, Time Turner nodded then called out “Chrysalis Changeling overhead. Ready. Fire!”

Cameral trotted up and took from a saddlebag a box of matches, he tried to strike one, but threw it away. Lucky Clover rolled his eyes.

Time Turner stepped up “Come on Cameral, come on.”

“The matches are damp Doc.”, Time Turner walked up “Let me have a go.”, Cameral gave him the box and stood back. Turner struck another match but it didn’t strike, he hummed “I think I’ll have to create a different ignition system.” He turned to the Major “For now do you have a light sir.”, the Major looked to Porter. The butler nodded and charged his horn.

A small flame sparked and burned up the fuse. The base of two pipes smoked and out the spout flew two makeshift projectiles and they rocket high into the air.

Time Turner laughed in excitement. The Major smiled “Excellent Doctor Turner. Excellent, look at that every-pony, straight as a raven’s flight path. I shouldn’t like to be on the receiving end of that.” Then he frowned.

The projectiles started tumbling down.

Every-pony’s eyes widened. Quickly they ran for the shelter of the barn. Cold Steel cried out “Don’t Panic!”

The shot hit the barn.

Dirty and shaken, the able-bodied of the platoon passed buckets of water along a chain. Shouting, splashes, burning and the clatter of buckets filled the air.

Zecora treated those with burns, but already called the hospital.

The Major trudged down the chain. Stopped at Time Turner and poked him with his stick “Just one thing Turner, I don’t think you should have added the bicarbonate of soda.” He walked off leaving an ashamed and confused Doctor Time Turner.


Next morning Twilight and Flash read the report in the Ponyville Express and they both blinked with their mouth hung open.

Spike looked over their shoulders and read it too. He then jumped down and join Starlight at breakfast. The former student of friendship looked to the dragon “What gotten the lovebirds shocked.”, Spike explained and then Starlight blinked. Spike nodded “They’re supposed to protect Ponyville from danger. Trouble is they seem like a danger to themselves.”

Flash shook his head and frowned his eyebrows, he nudged Twilight and she regained composure and looked up at him. Flash spoke “After breakfast we must start looking about ponies to form the guard.” She nodded. As did Spike and Starlight.


The platoon stood on a hill of the estate.

Time Turner, with a large hammer on his back turned to the Major “Permission to demonstrate my One-pony-projectile-proof-attack-vehicle sir?”

This makeshift tank consisted of an upturned bathtub on a wheeled base and a long pipe coming out of the plughole.

The Major narrowed his eyes “Who’s inside it?”

“Lucky Clover sir.”, he walked up and took the hammer in his hoof “I’d like you to obverse how safe it is sir.” He raised the hammer high and slammed into the tub. It rang with a deep off note din. A couple of ponies moved back in shock.

Caramel clasped an ear and leaned into Zecora and whispered, “If it sounds that bad on the outside, what must it be like on the inside?”, Zecora nodded “A terrible echo I fear. We must hope it did not damage Clover’s ears.”

Time Turner chuckled and looked to the Major “There you are sir. Nothing much could get through that.” He then pointed to the pipe “Now I’d like you to notice the periscope coming up through the plughole.”, said periscope having a piece of glass at the end spun around three-hundred and sixty degrees.

The Major nodded “Does it have any weaponary?”, a few ponies back away. Time Turner shook his head “I need to design something to fit in such a small vessel so not yet.”, the platoon sighed in relief.

The Major hummed and looked at the wheels “It doesn’t seem very mobile Doctor Turner.”, Time Turner laughed “Just you watch this sir.” He walked to the back “Stand by Lucky. I’m going to give you a little push.”, and the bathtub rolled only the path, with a slight rattle.

The platoon moved to get a better view of it. It went down the hill and clattered.

The Major’s eyes widened “Quickly every-pony!” and they rushed to the edge of the hill. They heard a splash.

Lucky sat in the bath now upright and floating on a small lake, his wing drenched. The Major shouted down “Quick Clover put the plug in!”

“What was that Major?” Lucky said before he and the bath went under. The Major shook his head “Never mind.” He looked to Time Turner “Get him out will you Turner?”, the doctor nodded and trotted down the hill, quickly followed by Caramel.


In the throne room. Twilight blinked as Applejack explained.

Rarity shook her head “They've been causing trouble all over the village for the past few weeks, Caramel’s forgetfulness, Time Turner’s crazy invention, and that Cold Steel, he’s seem ready to attack any-pony. And now Major Fields is asking if I can make them uniforms. I mean yes, I could try, but he wants something simple and with nothing special to it, so no glamour spell like most Royal Guard armour. Not to mention trying to find a colour that could work with so many different coats, and Zecora’s stripes.” She shuddered, everyone looked at her “Zecora’s a good pony, well, Zebra, but trying to sort something out for her is possible beyond even my talents.”

Flash turned to her “I’ve heard nothing about this. First, they create a potentially lethal weapon, then they almost drown Lucky Clover, and now I hear they want uniforms? Why is it I’m not being reported to?”

Rainbow leaned back “Got to admit some of their goof-up have been pretty funny.”

Fluttershy spoke up “But they’re harming themselves.”

Flash nodded and spoke “Which is why I’ve been looking over the possible though few guards who could form a proper guard.” He gave Twilight to folders “These two might do for starters.”

Twilight looked at the two. One an Earth Pony, with a white coat deep reddish pink mane. The other a Unicorn with a bluish grey coat and blond mane. She narrowed her eyes “Chrome Blade and Dauntless Doo. Why those two?”

At the mention of Chrome Blade Rainbow Dash suddenly sat up, and at the mention of both name Pinkie Pie took a load gasp, the pink pony started bouncing around the room “How do you not know who those two are? Why their…”, Applejack put her hoof to Pinkie’s mouth “Twilight wouldn’t know about them since they became Guards before she came here.”, Pinkie nodded Applejack to her hoof away and Pinkie more calmly spoke “Dauntless Doo is Muffin’s husband and the dad of Dinky, Crackle and Dipsy. And Chrome Blade is Scootaloo’s dad.”

Spike narrowed his eyebrow “I thought Scoots with an orphan.”, Twilight turned to him surprised “She told me her parents were too busy to take care of her.”

“Well,” Rainbow Dash said rubbing the back of her head “it's a little of both, she had a very hard time telling me this, and bet she hasn’t said anything about it to Apple Bloom or Sweetie Belle, but her mom, died in a bad storm, it came over the village from the Everfree Forest.”,

Twilight’s eye widened “So she only has one parent, and he’s a Royal Guard member?”, Rainbow nodded.

Flash tapped his hoof on the files “Both are due to return after a long tour in Saddle Arabia, so I thought we should request their transfer. Three Royal Guard members should be enough to start with.” He glanced at Rarity “But I agree with the Major that I never liked the glamour spells.”, Twilight nodded and turned to Spike “Spike take a letter.”, the dragon nodded and held up a parchment and quill ready for Twilight to speak “Dear Princess Celestia…”


The Major watched the dark clouds forming above the Everfree Forest and some of the smaller clouds heading towards the village.

Porter spoke “We could be looking at an awfully rough storm sir.”

“Yes,” said Vigil “nothing going to flying over the town in that weather.”

Cold Steel spoke next “We should be safe for the next couple of days Major Fields.”

Caramel raised his hoof “Maybe we could have the weekend off sir.”, the Major turned to him “Weekend off? This is defence Caramel, doesn’t just finish five o’clock on Friday evening and start again on nine o’clock on Monday morning you know. Away who’s to say a potential enemy will come be air? For all we know at this very moment some nefarious pony, or villainous creature might be digging a tunnel underneath us.”

Porter chuckled “Really sir that’s absurd.”

Mr Waddle spoke up “As a matter of fact sir I heard a scratching last night. I thought it might be mouse but of course it could have been some-pony tunnelling.”, the Major looked at Waddle with a raised eyebrow and sniffed he looked back to the Forest “Anyway there will be no weekends off. Whenever they come will be ready for them. Spring, summer, autumn or winter, in the sky, on the waters…”

Lucky Clover muttered “Or up between our legs.”, the Major continued “Or up…” he stopped and turned to Lucky, he shook his head and returned to his short speech “Wherever they come, we’ll be ready for them.”

“Permission to speak sir?” Cold Steel asked he looked to the ground “I think I can hear a burrowing sound.”

“Oh, don’t be absurd.”

Lucky blinked, looked down himself and spoke up “No hang on a minute, I, I think I can hear something.”, the Major narrowed his eyes “Perhaps we’d better make sure. Porter put your ear to the ground, see if you can hear anything. I’ll cover you.”, Porter sighed and knelt down.

“Hear anything?”

“I can’t quite make it out sir.”

“What? I can hear something.”, he then got down, then turned to Caramel “Stop shuffling your hooves boy.”

Before long most of the platoon had their ears to the ground. Zecora just watch confused, then she looked around and smiled.

The Major spoke “It sounds like a thumping.”, Cold Steel comment “Perhaps their using pickaxes.”

An orange hoof stepped in front of the Major and some-pony cleared their throat, the Major looked up.

Flash stared down at the Major “Busy down there?”, the Major quickly stood up and called “Platoon attention!”, then group stood up fast. The Major saluted “We didn’t expect you to visit us Captain.”

“Something’s come up, we need the platoon down at the station. Follow me.”, the Major nodded and turned to Porter who gave the order “If you could form up into three ranks please. By the right quick march.”

The platoon followed Flash out of the estate, passed Sweet Apple Arches, into town and to the station where Twilight and the Council of Friendship stood waiting. They halted.

Presently Rainbow Dash arrived along with Scootaloo, and Muffins with her children, and the school teacher Miss Cheerilee who walked up to the Princess “You wanted to see the children Twilight?”

“Yes, I’ve got a surprise for them.”

The whistle of the train blew and they heard Perks call out “Ponyville Station, Ponyville.”

Scootaloo looked to Rainbow confused, but the Wonderbolt smiled to reassure her.

From the platform walked two stallions. Scootaloo’s eye widened at seeing the white Earth Pony, who smiled at her “Hello Scoots.”

“Dad!” she ran to him and hugged his neck, Chrome Blade wrapped a hoof around him “You’ve grown.” She nodded and jumped down “That’s not all Dad, look!” she turned slightly and pointed to the shield on her flank with a wing and lightning bolt “I got my cutie mark!”, Chrome laughed and ruffled her mane “Congrats Scoots,” he sighed “too bad I missed it.”, he looked up to Rainbow Dash “Thanks for supporting my little troublemaker.”

Rainbow sniffed but waved if off “Think nothing of it the Squirt awesome in her own little way.”

Meanwhile Muffins blinked as the bluish grey Unicorn walked up to her, Miss Cheerilee held Dinky and Crackle back, Dinky carried the baby Dipsy on her back. Muffins eyes straightened as best they could and she murmured “Your, your back.”, the Unicorn nodded “And I’m staying. How’ve you been Ditzy?”, upon hearing one of his nickname for her, she smiled and eyes returned to their familiar cross-eyed state, she hugged him with her wings and gave him a kiss on the cheek.

Cheerilee wiped a tear from her eyes and nodded to the children, they ran up to him and Dauntless Doo hugged them. He took hold of Dipsy, the filly looked at him quizzically before giving him a big smiled. Muffins smiled “Aw, she knows her daddy.”, Dipsy looked at her mother before looking to Dauntless and uttering “Da, da, Daddy.”, the adults’ eyes widened and Muffins squealed with delight “Her first word!”

Dauntless smile widened “So sweet, so proud,” he rubbed his noise to his daughter’s, he felt tears forming “not going to cry, I’m not going to cry.”

Flash cleared his throat, Chrome and Dauntless look up at the smiling captain. Chrome let Scootaloo go and Muffins took back Dipsy. The two stallions marched up to the Captain, stood to attention and saluted, Flash nodded “Chrome Blade, First Regiment of Hoof.”, Chrome nodded and Flash spoke again “Dauntless Doo, Corps of Royal Magisters.”, Dauntless nodded, Flash continued “By request of Princess Twilight Sparkle and approved by Princess Celestia, you have been transfer to the Everfree Guard, I expect you to protect the peace of Ponyville with honour, valour and distinction.”

“Yes sir.” They replied. Flash nodded “Welcome to the Everfree Guard.”, the three saluted.

Twilight turned to the Major “Well it seems the Home Guard won’t be needed.”

The Major nodded “Maybe I was a little too eager to be in command again. But they're only three. Maybe we can stay on as reservist.”, Twilight turned to Flash, the Captain of the Guard tapped his hoof to his chin and grinned “I think so, but only meet monthly, and I want to be updated regularly.”

The Major nodded and saluted.

Rarity tapped the Major’s shoulder “Does this mean I still need to design a uniform?”, the Major nodded “But I’ll be sure to assist you,” and he looked to Flash “And I’m sure Captain Sentry will have his say.”, Flash nodded but looked to Rarity “We’ll try not to be too demanding. Twilight told me about the incident with the Gala dresses.”, Rarity gave a sigh of relief. The Major nodded “I think for the moment we can settle for an armband.”

Flash nodded, the Major turned “Platoon, Office on Parade, dismissed.”, the platoon saluted, instead on filling away most began to congregate on the new Everfree Guard.


A few days later the Major and Porter walked into town. The passed Mr Waddle, Caramel and Lucky Clover, Zecora at the market place.

The reached Vigil mortuary, the Bat Pony and one of her employees walked out carrying a coffin, covered in a cloth. The Major stopped and took his cap off.

Vigil chuckled “It’s empty.”, Porter snorted and the Major blushed with embracement before replacing his cap.

Passing the Post Office, they noticed Muffins putting a sign in the window say, ‘Help Wanted.’

At Carousel Boutique Rarity opened shop and smiled at the pair “Good morning Major.”

“Good morning Miss Rarity. Myself and Porter have come to discuss the uniforms.”, the fashionista smiled and nodded “Flash should be down in a few minutes, do come in and make yourselves comfortable, but please do mind Opal, she’s can be a bit, frightened, at strangers.”

Porter shook his head “I’m very good with cats Miss Rarity, I think we’ll be fine.”

Chrome Blade in his armour walked down the street. Scootaloo by his side as she explained to him all about the Cutie Mark Crusaders, how she, Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle formed the group, their adventures together, Princess Luna’s advice to the three of them, and finally how they got their cutie marks and their talents, finding out what other ponies’ talent are. Chrome smiled at his little girl “You make your old stallion proud Scoots.”

They passed the Boutique and the Major saluted, Chrome nodded his thanks. The Major smiled “Keep up the good work sir."

When the Guard and girl left, the Major took a deep breath “I think I can safely say, with the combined efforts of the Everfree Guard and its reserves we’re ready for anything.”

Author's Note:

This is sort of my attempt to flesh out the Royal Guard, true there's been a couple moments in Season 7 but I also wanted to add some details to it.

PreviousChapters Next