• Published 15th May 2017
  • 579 Views, 24 Comments

A Diamond in the Rough - Amethyst_Dawn



You've been a loyal citizen of Our Town long before that was the name, and you've grown fond of a certain individual over the years.

  • ...
2
 24
 579

A Diamond in the Rough

Tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick...

That stupid clock on the wall just clicks over and over again, the hands restlessly inching closer to each other. The main event of this year’s Sunset Festival- the Sunset Concert -is supposed to start any second now, but so far you’re the only one here. Even the band is absent from the stage. You suppose everypony else is still hanging about the Elements and their friends, and as much as that bugs you, you can’t blame them: it’s not every day that every single Princess and heroine of Equestria stops by a small town in the middle of nowhere.

Oh yeah, and Discord was out there, too. You couldn’t help but notice that despite his ego, he doesn’t seem to like crowds gathering around him just for admiration. Might just remind him of his time in stone, or he’s been hanging out with the Element of Kindness too much. Butterscotch, or something. You don’t really keep up with their names.

Ponies often ask you how you could care so little about Equestria’s greatest heroes, and while you don’t really know for sure, you suppose the main reason for that is because of how they treated Starlight Glimmer. After all she’d done, after how many she hurt, they just forgave her as if they were the only ones who suffered from her actions. Yes, yes, you forgave her too, along with the rest of Our Town. But, it’s going to take a lot more than an apology to let you trust her again. Not that she cares about your trust. Not that she even remembers your name, or how much she stole from you.

It starts to boil your blood again as you think of it. All she stole like a thief in plain sight with that blasted magic of hers: she took your talent, your Cutie Mark, your identity, your hometown… him.

And even though the others might seem more severe, it’s the last theft that really makes you see nothing but red. The day it all began was the day you had sworn to tell him, to confront him, to do something about your feelings once he came down from those slopes.

But, when he did return...

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Six Years Ago -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

“Anon! Anon!”

Brushing your mane out of your face, you look up to see the object of your affections running straight for you, a broad smile on his face. Despite that this is what you’ve always dreamed of, something seems off. You pick up on it as soon as he stops in front of you, it was that smile. That smile was bad news, and it was being broadcast at the strongest signal possible.

Looking closer, you also see that his normal white coat and mane have become dimmer, as if he gathered dust that sunk into his fur. But his coat was still clean, and it’s obvious to you that he is under some form of manipulation. Whether it was mental or magical, you can’t tell.

He also seems oblivious to your concerns, as he gestures to his left with an extravagant wave of his forehoof.

“You won’t believe the magnificence of the mare I just met!” He babbles, immediately setting your nerves on edge. “Her name is… Starlight?”

His smile wavers for only a second when he notices the lack of a pony by his side, but you hardly notice. You’re frozen stiff once you tilt your head, and catch sight of the mare heading your way. Her mane bobbed in a style that stood out, yet felt modest and conforming at the same time. Her eyes twinkled with a mischievous light, and her mouth was curved in a grin that could only be described as an impossible mix of evil, smug, and caring.

You didn’t need to look twice to believe this was the witch responsible for whatever happened to Double Diamond, as the bizarre staff she carried in her aura had his Cutie Mark snared within its grasp. Curiously, you tilt your head to look at your friend’s flank, but to check on his Mark this time. And you are horrified to find it replaced with a plain, grey, equal sign.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Present Day -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

He had… changed so much that day. In the space of one afternoon, his personality and mind had been molded from one of the laid-back athlete to one similar to that salesmare for that one insurance company. Possessive, or something. From then on: his face was plastered with that creepy smile, and he was babbling on about nothing but acceptance, equality, and the immeasurable wisdom of the mare he had met.

Then, he introduced her: Starlight Steal-your-Life Glimmer, to the town. Ranting as if she was the greatest pony in the world. And the way he looked at her… it hurt you. You could tell he was under some sort of spell, but there was a sincere admiration under there. The one kind of look you wished he would give you after that day, and there he was, so focused on her that he didn’t even see the world around him. You weren’t a mare most would call ‘sappy’, but your heart was broken by that look.

In the end, you had joined her cult as well after watching the rest of your town give in one by one. Maybe for survival, maybe as another chance to get closer to him, you still can’t tell. But you could tell that he never left her side unless she was in her home, and even then he sat by her porch as if he was some hound: constantly smiling like a possessed clown.

You can’t help but send a thankful prayer to whatever is out there that those days are over now, and that you’ve gained the strength to accept that he might never be yours. And you… might never be his.

You’re stirred from your melancholy thoughts when a bright flash draws your attention to the figure now sitting on the opposite side of the row of chairs you’ve chosen, and it takes you barely a second to recognize the serpentine form, and the clashing antlers. He doesn’t notice you yet, as his weird yellow eyes are glued to the door. Smirking, you decide to have some fun with him.

“Sorry, bub.” You grunt, barely holding back a mischievous giggle as the Draconequus jumps straight into the air and stares at you with eyes like dinner plates. “I think the band is still distracted by the celebrities.”

Discord groans, and scrapes the ranch dressing off of his eyes with a small brush he pulled from… somewhere. “Must you always sneak up on ponies, Anon?”

You quirk your brow as your smile drops. “You actually remember me?” You inquire curiously. Despite the calm tone of your question, you are genuinely surprised. It’s not often a mare like you gets recognized by anypony after a full year. Then again, you suppose it’s not often that a mare like you can manage to sneak up on the lord of chaos, twice.

He slowly reclines in midair with that smug grin of his. “Believe me, I’m just as surprised as you.”

Your smirk returns as you wink at him. “I can tell, you jumped high enough.”

His grin wavers for just a second, but still long enough for you to catch before his smile shows teeth, and he gently pushes on your snout with a talon. “Believe me, if the first thing anypony saw when they teleport into a room is that mug, they’d jump even higher.”

Remembering last year’s game, you bat your lashes at him playfully. “If that’s how ponies react to beauty, they’d bury their head in the sand when they saw you.”

He lazily examined his claw for dust, and brushed it on his chest. “It’s only natural for ponies to kneel before a god, and jump from a snake.”

Your eye twitches, and you feel a giggle try to jump from your throat. ‘No!’ You scream inwardly, ‘I can’t let him get the upper hand this time!’

“That’s only because they’d rather stare at dirt than have to look at you.”

“I guess that explains why you’re so well-known in this town, then.”

Finally, that last one got you to start snickering. “Alright, alright, fine! You win!”

He’s obviously proud of himself as he is instantly showered with confetti, and summons a golden medal with a bright #1 on it. “Naturally, my dear.” He purrs, bowing slightly as he glances back to you. “Though, I must admit, it’s hard to find someone with a wit like yours around here.”

You feel a sudden weight on your neck as a white flash shoots from your chest, and look down to see a plastic medal with sloppy silver paint, bearing the inscription “An Attempt Was Made”.

“Although I confess that I’m curious about one thing,” Discord states, twirling in the air like a ribbon before settling in the seat next to you. “Forgive me if I sound sexist, but how does a mare learn to trade lines like that with the best of them, and remain in good humor?”

You shrug your shoulders. “I dunno, I guess I never cared enough to be bothered by ‘em.”

He takes a turn at shrugging, and glances back to the door with a slight worriedness as the sound of hurried hooves rushes close, and then passes the door completely. You open your mouth to ask him what he’s running from, but he cuts you off without even turning around.

“So, what were you moping about?”

You just sit there in stunned silence, and made an attempt to clean your ear with a hoof. Was that actual sentiment in his voice?

“What do you mean?” You ask, brain trying to comprehend the lord of chaos actually showing concern for a pony. He glances back at you with a rather unamused expression.

“Trust me, you can’t spend every tuesday with the Element of Kindness and not pick up on a few signals that ponies are being bothered by something.” He says with a roll of his eyes. “And Fluttershy insisted that I need to practice my compassion and empathy, so forgive me if I see an opportunity here.”

Once you get over your confusion, and see that he’s actually sincere, you decide that you haven’t run out of ways to mess with him: and you slowly make yourself tear up. After a solid minute of buildup and scheming, you throw your hooves around his stomach while bawling your eyes out as overdramatically and ridiculously as possible. It obviously takes him by surprise as he tenses up immediately, and you can tell he’s extremely uncomfortable. You’re actually a little confused that he’s buying this.

Seeing your chance to go for the kill, you look up at him with the saddest eyes you can manage, and scream: “I think I’m in love with you!”

And, just as planned, his face goes from confused to horrified, and he turns red as a beet. Eyes once again wide as dinner plates- but lacking any sauce this time -he lifts his talon with a feeble “Nope,” and teleports out of the auditorium with a snap.

It barely takes a second before you’re doubling over with maniacal laughter, actually crying from the hilarious mental image of Discord scampering away from the building like he’d just seen a ghost, alternating between red as a beet and white as a sheet.

After your laughing fit draws to an end, you find yourself thinking back again, to long before Starlight ever came to Our Town. In fact, back before it was even known as Our Town, and you had only lived here for a round a day…

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Ten Years Ago -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

“Yo, hots, you new here?”

You grunt as you set the last box onto the porch, and turn to glare at the approaching idiot. Sportscolt in appearance, white coat, blue eyes. Kind of cute for a jock, and seems innocent enough, but his greeting was just unacceptable. With practiced ease, you shoot him a glare.

“What did you just call me?”

Your expression of disgust barely seems to register as he struts right up to you, and gives you a friendly pat on the back as he gestures out to the… twelve other houses with his other forehoof. You would have protested this invasion of your personal space, but he was obviously an idiot anyways, and in all probability wasn’t trying to make any advances.

“Welcome to Flintlocke!” he declared with grandeur, pride ringing in his laid-back tone. He slowly stepped back until he was face-to-face with you again with surprising grace, and stayed at a respectful distance at this point as he gave you a lazy grin. “We don’t usually get new ponies moving in here, so you might want to expect us locals to be a bit of an annoyance at first.” He leaned only slightly closer as he held a hoof beside his mouth and whispered. “Especially ignore my mother, she’s been trying to matchmake for everyone, and she might consider you fresh fuel for the local colts.”

In the meantime, you find yourself simply staring at the good-natured moron. Neighborly fellow, to be sure, especially for a colt his age. Based on the appearance, you’d guess him to be not much older than you: perhaps seventeen or so. Most colts his age are complete dolts when it comes to being decent, but he seemed to only have a normal amount of ditz expected of stallions.

With a sincere smile- something you haven’t managed in a while -you extend your hoof with a nod. “I’ll keep that in mind, thanks.”

He keeps his leisurely grin, and shakes your hoof with a firm grip that somehow remained gentle. “I’m Double Diamond, local skiing expert, and currently the only teenager in the village.”

You feel your smile grow a bit, and you feel your mischievous side spark. “Nice to meet you, Diamond Diamond. My name is Anon: the new teenager in town.”

You stop when you see him frown slightly, and then smirk as he lets out a laugh. “Ha! I see what you did there, Miss. Tell you what, I’ll make it easy on you: call me Deedee. Most ponies do anyways.”

“Very well,” you giggle, “Deedee.”

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Present Day -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

You feel yourself growing sad again at the memory, but at least being able to prank the lord of chaos made the sting a little less this time. One last small tear tickles your cheek as you stand up off the floor, and get back onto your seat. You can’t help but wonder why your brain is so focused on him, today of all days.

The notice that the band has started to make their way onto the stage from the back, and are beginning to set up their instruments. At least some lighthearted music would cheer you up, or at least keep you from slipping into depression again.

The band starts up once ponies start coming in, and you feel your expectations shatter as they begin the first song, and a grey mare steps forward with her cello.

I comb the crowd
But I can’t see your face out there, no
I’m playing now
Won’t wait on love.

I’m paralyzed
By all these whispers in my brain, yeah...

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Two Hours Later -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

The rest of the first day of the festival turns into a blur as you slump back to your house, feeling like crud. You did try to find Double, but never could locate him amongst the sudden influx of attendees. You thought you found him once, but it turned out to be an insecure changeling. Mothball or something. Go figure.

You were just about to open your door when you feel a hoof tap on your shoulder. You turn around to glare at the pony, but your stare melts into mild surprise as you see the Princesses Luna, Celestia, and Cadence smiling back at you. You’d be lying if you said you weren’t at least a little intimidated, but you were also a little tipsy from the punch, so the effect was less than it would have been. Which is saying something. Cadence- being the one who tapped you on the shoulder -cleared her throat.

“It’s- uh… I’m a little embarrassed for not checking with you earlier,” she admits with a sheepish smile, “but can we stay here tonight? Aunt Celly was in charge of making reservations, but she muffed it.”

You glance calmly up to Celestia, who gives her niece a playful pout. “I was sidetracked, dear Cadence, and nopony bothered to remind me.”

“And this time the diversion was beyond understandable, as that cake caught even our attention.” Luna laughed, holding a hoof to her mouth.

You choose to study them for a few moments, processing your answer. You know it will inevitably be yes, you’re just preparing yourself for the fact that your sovereign rulers are asking you for room for the night. Silently, you open the door, and gesture in as you step aside. They each beam at you as they walk in, and give you thanks in turn.

“I’m afraid I only have the one extra bed in the guest room,” you inform them, your tone a bit more apologetic than you intended, “but mine should be large enough if one of you doesn’t mind bunking with me.”

“Any accommodations are suitable enough for us,” Luna states with a smile, “which way to the guest room?”

“Up the stairs, door straight ahead.”

She nods to you in thanks before escorting her sister up the stairs, and you turn into the kitchen to grab one last drink before you head to bed. After retrieving four sodas from the fridge, intending to give the rulers one each, you notice that Cadence followed you in. Her horn is glowing slightly, and you feel a little warm. A slightly awkward silence passes as you just give her your deadpan stare, and wait for her to open her eyes.

After around a minute, her eyes slide open, and she gives you a determined look.






“We need to Talk...”

Author's Note:

Here it is! The first part of my much-hyped third installment of 2nd-Person romances, and the first time I tried doing this from a female point of view, though I suppose Rarity, POW did offer some practice. :applejackunsure:

Unlike the last two installments, it might be a little while before I put out the next half for two reasons:
A) This one took more work- but no less heart -than the last two.
B) It's been getting harder to work with Bucky without having her freeze all the time.
(And for those unfamiliar with my blog, Bucky is the name of the computer I use. Because she freezes a lot... MCU reference...?)

I'm hoping to ask my mom if we can get my computer fixed sometime soon, but I'm that type of imbecile who likes to wait until the right moment. And you guys know what my life is like... there's almost never a "right moment". :rainbowlaugh:

Special thanks to Galaxina the Unicorn for prereading this for me. Seriously, go check out her stuff, she's amazing.

As always: please feel free to notify me of any mistakes, inconsistencies, typos, etc.

Until Next Time, God Bless You!
~Amethyst Dawn. :heart: