• Published 29th Jun 2017
  • 14,357 Views, 1,284 Comments

Soaring on Little Wings - tom117z



A small foal is found in Cloudsdale, but Bow Hothoof and Windy Whistles know nothing of the humanity within.

  • ...
36
 1,284
 14,357

45 - Epilogue

Many years later…



Light.

It was everywhere, filling Little Wing’s very being. This… was different than before. Where previously this very sensation had been filled with nought but despair and dread, now it was… peace. She was peaceful, and happy.

The slow beeping of the heart rate monitor was fading away, as were the faces around her. She had been admitted some days ago as her strength began to fail, her old bones no longer being able to support her anymore. She had been given a nice room and a comfy bed, every need seen to by the nice ponies working in Cloudsdale General Hospital. Her dearest possessions laid out on cabinets around her, the room looking more like a nice bedroom than a hospital room now. There was her old Wonderbolt uniform. Pictures of her life, from the day she got her cutie mark beating a storm cloud into submission to the birth of their second child, a daughter that time around. Then there were the images of her parents, Scootaloo, Misty…

It had been such a long time…

And those faces around her now… everypony she loved, and who loved her. Her children. Her friends. Her remaining sister; Rainbow Dash, as young and stubborn as ever thanks to the Tree of Harmony, who had been doing her best to get Little Wing to fight for every breath.

And she had. Each and every single one.

But the time had come. For good, this time.

And they were all there, holding her hooves as she faded. Sky Dancer held Little Gale as the stallion couldn’t restrain his emotions, letting tears freely fall. Rainbow Dash sat stroking Little Wing’s greyed mane, offering her a comforting smile as she struggled to hold in her own sadness.

But they would see each other again, just as she now went to see Misty Gust.

Everything blurred, and all sensation began to dissipate… until there was nothing left to feel. Her loved ones could no longer be seen, everything being that one bright light. But then, as it had been before, she was halted.

“Are you ready, Little Wing?” Penumbra asked amidst a familiar field of stars. “Standing here, one final time…?”

So, here she was. Looking at a hoof, Little Wing saw it was the vibrant cyan of her younger years. She felt more energy than she had in a long time, her wings fluttering freely on her back. And was it just her or did this realm feel… brighter than it had before? Much like everything else, it seemed more at peace…

But still, Little Wing couldn’t stop tears of her own.

“They will be okay, won’t they?” she asked the alicorn that had been the catalyst for everything, and now the one to send her on her way. “My family, now that I’m gone…?”

Penumbra gave her a small smile, nodding in assurance.

Little Wing nodded, wiping away her tears with a hoof. “Good. I… think I’m ready this time. If you would… walk me there?”

The smile brightened. “It would be my honour, old friend. But I can only accompany you to the edge. I cannot enter with you.”

The smile was returned. “That’s okay. Just to the edge then.”

And so they began to walk, deep into the twinkling lights of reality itself. And as they went, Penumbra steadily slowed her pace while Little Wing’s remained constant. This continued until Penumbra finally slowed to a complete halt, watching calmly as Little Wing took a final few steps in peace…

And then she faded away, finally passing into the beyond.

Author's Note:

And so here we are, the end of Soaring on Little Wings. Honestly, I can hardly believe it. I started Little Wing's story last June, and one year later it is ending. And I only slightly made myself tear up this epilogue...

Well, Change: Avia begins next week. See you guys then!


Total 'BWAH' count: 32

Comments ( 97 )

And so it ends. Fantastic story, Tom. I look forward to the day my reading is complete so it can go up on YouTube. :twilightsmile:

This was a beautiful wonder and touching story. :pinkiehappy: I'm going to miss reading it and looking forward to updates.

This was great, I just hope that we more of this stuff from ya. I've not found that many reborn as foals stories

What a wonderful story so glad I read it, I am going to miss it but it was a fun ride.

okay you just took my feels beat them up and thrown them under the bus I hope your happy

That was a best story I ever read well done I can't wait to read your next story's

This was a very good story. I like the total BWAH count.

Looking forward to whatever story you make next.

Now that is how you end a perfectly and well written story. My gosh I can even begin to imagine just how long it's been when I first read this. I wish there were more, but I know that the journey is far from over!

This was a fantastic story, and I'm sad to see it go, but this was the greatest ending that you could ever write for it. I'm glad this was made, and I'm hoping to see more great stories from you. :twilightsmile:

My heart, my soul

Not gonna cry. I'm not crying. Stupid onions. :fluttercry:
I loved it. You've made my day every friday for the last year. Wish I could super favorite this.

Claps while shedding liquid pride!

It was everywhere, filling Little Wing’s very being. This… was different than before. Where previously this very sensation had been filled with nought but despair and dread, not it was… peace. She was peaceful, and happy.

now

Light.

All good movies end with white.
and resolution of plot threads.

I must say, this was a beautiful ending to a beautiful story.

While the recipe was a touch more sugary than the usual fare, it was still a fantastic dish of a narrative.

Can you tell that i skipped lunch? :twilightsheepish:

Nevertheless, with your bonus points, (as i remember) i give this story a 12 on the :yay:itude meter! I hope that Little Wing's next life is just as pleasant.

oinzGVOIrgfno whyyy did you have to add this last part :fluttercry:
I was happy with last chapters ending! :fluttercry:

thank you for this story...

Pls I need sequel about her daughter or son or something, I can’t handle this I’m tearing up:applecry::raritydespair::raritycry::fluttercry:

Very well written! Ten stars!

I will use Bwah at random in my stories forever thanks to this, and thanks to you for starting and finishing something that took us all by surprise and filled a little something in our hearts.

Another good story comes to an end. I would say it is a satisfying one indeed.

Thanks for taking the time to write this story. I'm definitely going to miss it no longer being in my tracking section :applecry:.
Looking forward to the future 🥂

Simply wonderful. Need I say more? Need ANYONE say more?

But, it is now done. Oh, bwah.

I’m near tears Tom. A wonderful story. Bwah!

This was really good.

Very good sir!

I'm legit crying

Bloody hell...
Why are my eyes wet? :raritydespair:

a grate ending to a super story.
truly a work of art.

Geez, the author is going all George R Martin on us up in here. How many times are you gonna kill little wing?

Just kidding. Dang, what a way to end a fantastic fic. Kudos from start to finish on a great story.

And so ends another beautiful story.

How the heck did Dash outlive Little Wing?!

8989332
it was mentioned in the story itself. the tree of harmony is still connected to her.

kinda wish this epiloge started a little sooner so we could see some of gales life then get to this but great story, I've always been a sucker for HiE where the human adult (or teen) becomes a kid or baby as it allows the character to learn naturally with the audience about the world, this however is the first time ive seen the full life of a character and I'm not disipointed, heres hopping you continue to write and make your next story as good as this one

....
Snif...
BWAH!

Trust me when I say it’s exeptionally difficult to make me cry, and even though I saw this ending coming, I could not predict the amount of emotion I would feel when reading it. This story was fantastic and will be a favorite forever.

Such a beautiful ending. My only regret being that there will be no more chapters.:raritycry:
Thank you for the ride!

You’ve earned your rest Little Wing, as has the author for writing this good piece. This will go nicely onto my shelf.:twilightsmile:

Soaring On Little Wings now on my Top Favorites bookshelf congrats. Only 4 others are on it. And I've read over 1000 stories lol. Only those that make me tear up get here.

Marvelous work.
I deeply enjoyed this story.
You should be proud of it.
:twilightsmile::heart:

thank you for this story








stayclassy:moustache:

Thanks man.... This was a beautiful story, and you should be proud of yourself for writing it.

Best of luck to you in all things.

9006950
That's called sensationalism!~

9041110
Um... no. It's just implying she's ticklish, like RD in the show. And is using that fact to embarrass her into silence.

...why must all good things end?

9041366
Oh thank god. Unlike "futaloo"/"flutaloo", I couldn't just re-read it and see my mistake.

This was a fun read, but not without some stuff I wasn't a fan of. I don't support the non-adoption decision narratively, as I feel it'd be much better thematically if she adopted. A lot of early chapters give NO window into Little Wing's thoughts, so it wasn't until about 1/3 of the way in that I barely had a grasp on her personality and thought process. The "villain" felt sort of weak and anticlimactic... and no, not because there was no battle. I just feel like she's poorly written and fails to tie into the themes of the story.

Despite all that, this was a good fic. I adored reading most of it, and am glad I did. But it's not perfect.

9042034

But it's not perfect.

Nothing ever is. But I'm glad you enjoyed it for the most part. :twilightsmile:

In hindsight, I do wish I went for a first-person narrative to help with getting into Wing's head. But it is what it is. Little Gale was a good end to Silver's storyline, and allowed them to experience parenthood from the very beginning. I get about the adoption thing, and it was considered, but I don't regret where I went with that bit.

And I've never viewed Penumbra as a villain more than a supporting character with whom some conflict and drama arose. Soaring doesn't have a 'villain' per-say, and she was intended to be a powerful but mentally scarred individual who Wing was, in her own growth, able to help in the end with the Magic of Friendship.

I'm quite proud of what it became, it being my first purely Slice of Life long-fic when I normally do war death and destruction on a country-wide scale.

Login or register to comment