• Published 29th Jun 2017
  • 14,351 Views, 1,284 Comments

Soaring on Little Wings - tom117z



A small foal is found in Cloudsdale, but Bow Hothoof and Windy Whistles know nothing of the humanity within.

  • ...
36
 1,284
 14,351

24 - Confronting Feelings

Little Wing’s Home, That Weekend



Being grounded, if Little Wing was to be brutally honest, really sucked.

Windy Whistles and Bow Hothoof had received the Headmistress’ letter, just as the latter had promised. Everything after that had fallen into place pretty much as Little Wing had predicted it would. The rant her mother went on, with her father getting the odd word in every now and then, hadn’t exactly been short. But they had been… conflicted on the subject, as it became apparent during their tirade.

Little Wing had gotten hurt, put herself in harms way when there might have been alternative measures to be taken instead. But at the same time she had defended her friend against an aggressor, which in no version of Equus could they claim was the ‘wrong’ thing to do. After that had been brought up, the conversation took a more mellow turn with voices not quite turned up to Royal Canterlot levels. They calmly told Little Wing that they understood why she did it, and in her place they might have even done the same. But the news of what happened had scared them. It was bad enough that, despite their proudness of her, their eldest daughter was often in harms way at the side of Princess Twilight Sparkle; they didn’t want to worry about their youngest daughter getting into scuffs when she was still in school.

They understood. Deep inside they might even have approved. But neither did they want it becoming a habit.

So they nuzzled her on the head, gave her a few comforting words, and then grounded her for the rest of the week.

Yeah, comforting words did not lessen how much it completely and truly sucked.

“Bored.”

A small ball bounced off of the wall opposing Little Wing’s bed, barrelling back towards the pegasus who caught it in her hooves.

“Bored.”

Another small thud as the ball made contact once again, and equally it soon found its way back into the hooves of its owner.

“Still bored.”

One final thud, though on its return trip there were no hooves outstretched ready to catch it. Instead, the ball impacted the mattress and rolled off the bed onto the floor. Little Wing didn’t even spare a glance to see how far it rolled, instead having her eyes glued to the ceilings as her various limbs splayed out in all sorts of directions atop the covers.

This seemed to have become a routine over the past few days confined to her room for all but a few select hours a day. Things were not overly bad during the week when she spent the majority of her waking hours at school, even if detention was an ongoing process during breaks, though at least in those she’d had opportunities to get to know Silver Breeze better. But during the afternoons she had only ever seen the downstairs of the house at dinner, with the rest of her time being spent in her room. And now the weekend had come that was ALL she was doing, the only silver lining being that come the next morning her ridiculous exile would be well and truly over.

With one final groan of frustration, Little Wing turned and buried her face in the pillow, attempting to get something of a nap before she was called for dinner. No sleep would come, however, and the young mare didn’t even feel remotely tired.

She shifted slightly, allowing her eyes to see above the pillow and scan the room for any ideas that may yet alleviate her intense boredom.

Nothing.

Welp, there was nothing for it.

Little Wing hopped off of the bed, crouching low and slowly sneaking her way up to the door. She pressed one ear up against it, listening for any sounds on the other side.

She forced herself not to flinch back at the sound of heavy hoofsteps, undoubtedly her father. Instead, she remained ramrod still as the sound of the hooves grew more muffled and distant. Finally, they were gone altogether. Still, she waited another minute or two just to make sure that they were not going to return.

Once she was certain that the coast was clear, she began to open up the doorway one crack at a time, ensuring it would not make any noise.

“Just pretend you’re Rainbow Dash on some super-secret stealth mission behind enemy lines,” Little Wing instructed herself under her breath. “Just to the end of the hall, see if anything interesting is going on downstairs, and back again, Nopony will be any the wiser…”

If worst came to worst, she could just claim she’d been going to the loo.

The doorway was fully open now, and the next step of her master plan was to steadily slide into the hallway. As it turned out, the friction between her own fur and the carpet made that plan difficult. So, in all of her wisdom, she decided to go back to normal crawling instead.

All the other doors on the landing were shut up tight, and the only movement her ears could detect was coming from downstairs. Little Wing crawled along the landing until she had reached the very top of the stars, carefully dragging herself over the boundary just enough to get a view of the ground floor.

Then there was a knock on the door.

“You got that?” Bow Hothoof asked from the living room, and somepony got up from their seat and began to move.

Little Wing retracted slightly in panic as Windy Whistles moved to answer the door, moving past the bottom of the stairs in doing so. She heard the door open, and then her mother make a surprised noise.

“Misty Gust? I’m sorry for the surprise but we weren’t expecting you,” Windy explained, Little Wing’s ears trained in to hear the conversation. “What are you doing here?”

“Oh, um, I’m here to see Little Wing,” Misty Gust explained. “Is she in? I really want… need, to talk to her.”

Little Wing could imagine her mother’s sympathetic smile. “I’m sorry, dear. Little Wing is still grounded and is up in her room. It might be best that you come back tomorrow. You might even be able to catch her at school?”

There was a slight noise that Little Wing surmised was Misty shuffling awkwardly in place, probably drooping her ears while she was at it. After all, Little Wing’s ears were doing the same.

“Oh, OK then…” Misty muttered. “At least tell her I called round?”

“Of course I will, she’ll be thrilled to hear of it,” Windy replied. “Now hop along, there’s no need to stand out in the cold by yourself.”

“Okay… Bye, Mrs Whistles,” Misty said in farewell, followed by the click of the door closing up.

And then there was the sound of hooves approaching the staircase.

Little Wing quickly shuffled back, reversing through the door and closing it as quietly and quickly as possible. Finally, she hurriedly leapt onto her bend and buried her muzzle back in the pillow.

Just in time, the door to her bedroom opening back up again.

“Little Wing, you awake?” her mother asked.

“Hm,” Little Wing’s muffled reply came, only afterwards did she look up from the pillow. “What’s up?”

“I just wanted to let you know that your friend, Misty, dropped by,” Windy informed her daughter.

“Oh? What did she say?”

“She wanted to talk to you about something, but she’s going to wait until school tomorrow.”

Little Wing sagged. “Oh, alright then. Was that all?”

Windy shook her head slightly. “Dinner will be ready in ten minutes, I’ll give you a shout when you can come down.”

“OK Mum.”

Windy smiled, planting a kiss on Little Wing’s head. Then she exited the room, shutting the door quietly behind her.

Little Wing groaned, falling back and staring up at the ceiling once more. Now she had ten minutes to kill, where did she put that ball?

Maybe she could have thought about it more if not for that weird tapping on the window.

“…Wait, what?”

Little Wing sat up straight, looking over towards the window cut into one of the bedroom walls. The source of the tapping was of a young grey mare shooting Little Wing a sheepish smile.

“Hey, uh, can you let me in?” Misty asked from outside the house.

Little Wing snorted. “Oh, the wonders of having wings.”

She got up off of the bed and trotted over to the window, releasing the latch and allowing Misty to squeak her way through the frame and into the room. Little Wing closed the window up again, turning to give Misty an amused but questioning look.

“This isn’t some kind of jailbreak, is it?” Little Wing joked. “If so, we got a ten-minute time limit to pull this off.”

Misty rolled her eyes. “If you wanted to leave, you would have just opened up the window.”

Little Wing opened up her mouth to reply, but then closed it again with an embarrassed look.

“You never even considered it, did you?”

“I forgot I even had a window in all honesty.”

Misty Gust laughed, then quickly tried to stop herself. She didn’t, after all, want to give away her presence in the house.

“So… what IS this about?” Little Wing asked. “You must have a reason to break in like this.”

“Um, yeah. I do,” Misty confirmed, scuffing a hoof nervously against the carpet. “You remember the other day?”

“There are plenty of other days, but I’m going to assume you mean the fight,” Little Wing replied.

“Yeah, that’s the one. Only, what came after it.”

“You mean when we met outside the headmistress’ office?” Little Wing enquired, getting a nod in turn. “What about it? Has something else happened?”

“No, nothing like that,” Misty denied. “It’s just… I said I like you, and you said it is because we’re best friends…”

Little Wing raised an eyebrow. “Yeah… so? Are you sure you’re okay? You’re acting a little weird.”

Misty sighed. “Well, that bothered me because… well, I LIKE you. Do you know what I mean? I mean, we’ve known each other since we were young and we’ve always hung out. But more than that, we’ve always been there for each other and you’re smart and brave and…”

Misty stopped mid-sentence, taking in a deep breath as Little Wing stared with wide eyes.

Eyes got even wider when she felt Misty’s lips press up against her own. Little Wing just locked up, not fighting it but not leaning into it either. Misty, after a few moment, broke off the kiss with a look of sadness.

“I-I’m sorry. I don’t even know if you like mares or even want relationships at all or… I’m sorry…” Misty whimpered, turning to leave.

Only for a hoof to gently touch her on the shoulder, halting her.

“I… I didn’t know you felt like that,” Little Wing admitted. “I mean, we’d always just been best friends, you know? This is… I don’t know…”

“Can we just go back?” Misty asked. “If you want to?”

“I… I don’t know,” Little Wing replied. “Because honestly… I kind of like you too.”

Misty’s eyes widened hopefully.

“I mean, you’re smart. Smarter than me,” Little Wing explained. “And you’ve been there since the beginning. And then, well… I just never really thought about it being more…”

Before Misty’s hopeful eyes could die, Little Wing planted a kiss right onto her nose.

“But, to be honest, I’d kinda like it if we did.”

Misty Gust stared at Little Wing for a moment. And then, like the first rays of light bringing about the dawn, a wide and happy smile appeared on her face. She flung her forelegs around Little Wing’s neck, hugging her tightly as Little Wing hugged her back with equal enthusiasm. The two giggled to themselves, Little Wing nuzzling the top of Misty’s head affectionately.

They finally parted, each one glowing with glee.

“So… what now?” Misty asked.

“No idea,” Little Wing admitted with a laugh. “But you should probably still go before my parents find you here. See you at school tomorrow?”

Misty bounced in place, nodding extatically.

And then the bedroom door opened up.

“Ah ha!” Windy Whistles proclaimed accusingly. “I knew I heard something!”

Windy sighed, placing a hoof on her brow in exasperation as she approached the pair.

“You know you’re grounded, Little Wing. And you, Misty Gust, were supposed to be going home!” Windy exclaimed. “Why did you have to sneak around behind our backs right before you were going to be freed from your grounding? Now, what do you have to say for yourselves?”

Little Wing and Misty Gust glanced at each other nervously, but then Little Wing stepped forward with a far more resolute expression dominating her features.

“Mum, I’m gay and Misty Gust is my marefriend.”

Windy Whistles blinked. She just looked blankly down at her daughter, and then glanced up to Misty Gust. When Misty Gust gave her a sheepish wave she couldn't help but raise an eyebrow, and then she looked back towards Little Wing again.

And then she smiled.

“Well, in that case… Perhaps Misty would care to join us for dinner?” Windy asked, turning around and walking out of the door again.

Both Little Wing and Misty Gust just stared after her in bewilderment.

“Alright, that went quite well,” Misty Gust commented.

Little Wing hummed. “Yeah… I almost expected a-”

“Our daughter’s got a marefriend!” Windy Whistles shouted excitedly to her husband from downstairs. “Best. Fillyfooler. EVER!”

“Oh no.”

Author's Note:

Little Wing's comments on colts, Misty's sometimes awkward and blush filled interactions with Little Wing and Silver Breeze's snide 'marefriend comments'.

It wasn't exactly the most subtle of subtle, and still some of you thought she'd end up with Silver Breeze. :rainbowlaugh: