• Published 9th Jul 2012
  • 2,836 Views, 41 Comments

Letters From Ponyville - FearlessXIII



Even the most typical of ponies can become caught up in Ponyville's unique rhythm of life...

  • ...
0
 41
 2,836

Introduction

Dear Rhyme,


Hey Sis. Tomorrow’s the big day. I finally start my new adventure in… ugh… Ponyville.


Sorry. The truth is I got bored on the train ride. Writing this is the only thing keeping me awake right now. I’d hate to fall asleep and miss my stop. Wouldn’t THAT be a disaster?


I can’t begin to understand why you thought Ponyville of all places is where I’m going to find a decent job. Wouldn’t Canterlot have made more sense? Maybe it’s a bit pricier to live there, but doesn’t that also mean the higher class of clientele would be more likely to part with their precious bits?


I know, I know. We barely scraped enough for a single train ticket. It’s just… why Ponyville? Didn’t you only visit it just once with Mom? Did this place really make that big of an impression? It’s mind boggling! I chatted a bit with the conductor and he says it’s just a sleepy little go-between on the way to Canterlot.


Sleepy town with boring ponies and lame jobs that will only be available if nopony wants to actually do them… Kick me, I must be dreaming.


Are you sure you’ll be alright until I get a job? I know you’ll get by working at the bakery, but… I don’t like the idea of you living in those disgusting apartments. You deserve better than these stupid Manehatten slums!


I miss our orchard. I miss our nanny. And I really miss Mom and Dad.


Sorry, I didn’t mean for that to be so depressing. The train’s almost to the station; I can see Ponyville from here. As soon as I disembark from the train, I’ll send this letter.


Don’t you worry, Sis. I’ll have a job before you know it. I’ll wire you the ticket fare, and we’ll tackle this town together. Even if it’s as boring as I imagine it will be, well, I’ll MAKE it exciting!


I swear I’ll make life better for you. For both of us. And I’ll be sure to send money with my next
letter.


Say “Hi” to Mom for me, and tell her I love her. Sing her one of your songs for me.


From Your Brother With Love,


Reason


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Dear Reason,


You have GOT to lighten up! Ponyville isn’t that bad; you just have to give it a chance. It’s actually really pretty, and the ponies are SO nice! Trust me, you won’t be bored!


Canterlot is full of stuck-up aristocrat ponies. You wouldn’t want to live there.


And I know what you mean… I miss our old home, too. Someday we’ll go back there and see Dad.


Oh! I almost forgot! Cinnamon Swirl told me that Ponyville’s Summer Sun Celebration is gonna be super awesome this year! And do you know why…?


Princess Celestia herself is going to be there!!!


I’m soooooo jealous! Manehatten is still doing the parade thing, but I’m pretty sure I’ll be working through most of it. So since I can’t go, you have to do three things for me:


1. Go to Ponyville’s Summer Sun Celebration and get me a souvenir.


2. Make at least one friend while you’re in Ponyville.


3. Have fun!


You’ll be fine, Reason. You’ll have a job before you know it, and we’ll both have so many stories to tell one another when we meet up again.


Family has to stick together, right?


Write Back Soon,


Rhyme



Rhyme spat out her white feather quill. Reading and writing were her two very favorite pastimes, (as indicated by the very similar red feather quill cutie mark displayed on her flank) and Rhyme simply adored composing written verse to read to her brother. It seemed altogether too late to think of something unique to add to her letter this time, though, which was a shame.

Rhyme looked out the window; judging by the moon, it had to be close to midnight. She always got so excited whenever her brother wrote to her! Once again, she had forgotten to go to sleep.
The cream-colored earth pony got up from her desk, and crossed the tiny bedroom to her dresser. Situated on it was a small, undecorated urn.

“I’ll mail my letter in the morning,” she said to nopony in particular. Gingerly, she brushed a hoof lovingly along the side of the urn.

“Mom, please watch over Reason. He won’t come out and say it, but I think he’s really nervous. I guess I am too; we’ve never been apart for so long since you passed away.”

Rhyme’s eyelids were beginning to droop. Time for bed. Well, one last thing. The filly gave the urn a goodnight kiss, a tradition left from when her mother was still alive.

“Goodnight, Mom. Say hi to Dad for me.”

She crawled into her small bed in her cramped, barely furnished apartment. And as she started to drift off to sleep, she sang the lullaby her mother sang to them for so many years:

“Hush now, quiet now, it’s time to lay your sleepy head. Hush now, quiet now, it’s time… to… *yawn*…”

She was out before she even got to the refrain.






Special thanks goes out to UnparalleledGenius and Leah Thompson for making my scribbles comprehensible.