• Published 20th May 2017
  • 5,971 Views, 818 Comments

Brightly Lit - Penalt



The village of Brightly, British Columbia is a small, isolated place where everyone knows everyone, with a strong sense of community. A community that starts to include colourful little ponies.

  • ...
20
 818
 5,971

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 22: Do you Believe in Magic?

The man waved goodbye to the floatplane as it took off from the glass smooth surface of the lake. The pilot cleared the water, gained some altitude and turned around to fly over his former passenger, wagging his wings as he went. The man on the ground was well dressed for the climate in hiking boots, jeans and a medium weight jacket, all of which bore the look of comfortable use. He watched the plane until it disappeared behind the trees and bent down to the two pieces of gear he’d offloaded from the plane.

The first item was a bicycle that looked squished in a strange manner and seemed a little undersized for its otherwise heavy duty construction. The second item was a large, well-stuffed duffel bag that was almost as long as the man was tall. With the confident motions of long practice the man moved parts of the bicycle that had been set on hinges and unfolded it into a proper bicycle’s configuration. A few twists of some levered bolts later and the folding bike was ready for use.

The man shouldered his heavy bag, and instead of riding the bike he instead walked with it away from the lakeshore and towards a small concrete dam. He approached the dam, noting the open gate to its walkways, as well as the muddied surface of the small nearby hill on which stood a metal tower from which a classic radio receiving dish hung from a thick cable.

He paused at the gravel parking lot, considering his options. The dam held his interest, but the hill also promised to have mysteries that needed solving. There was also the paved road, that led to the nearby town. Sooner or later he would have to ride his bike there, for supplies if nothing else, but now was not the time.

The man instead took the fourth option, heading over to a flat area roughly a hundred meters away with a couple of wooden picnic tables and an iron fire pit. A wooden sign read, “Province of British Columbia, Carmanah Lake Provincial Campsite.” Beneath it was a small metal plate that advised passersby that campsite reservations could be made through a government website.

Smiling, the man carried his load to one of the two marked campsites and dropped his bag heavily onto the damp grass. Leaning the bicycle to one side, he dug out a large, bulky satellite phone with the letters “CKNW” stamped on the back from his jacket pocket, powered it up and dialed a number.

“Hey boss, I’m onsite at the dam,” he said into the device, from which could be heard some answering babble. “Trust me, everyone is going to be swarming over the town, trying to interview the fire department. They’ve all forgotten about what started this mess in the first place. I’m going to have a ringside seat when the Hydro crews get here to start work, and I’ll be able to watch and record everything that goes in and out of that dam.”

“I’m just setting up camp now, and legally this counts as my duly rented home for the next two weeks, so they can’t kick me out even if they try,” the man said, after a long burst of questioning babble from the phone. ”Well… it’s close enough that the station’s lawyers can tie it up for weeks in the courts if we need to. Anyway, there’s no one here. Not a surprise considering the Hydro crews aren’t even supposed to make it to town for another six hours or so. Once I’m all set up I’m going to have a look around, see what I can find before anyone has a chance to cover anything up.”


“Kya and Zak are back to being completely normal kids,” Ernie said, over lunch at the current meeting of the Pony Parents Society. “You would never know they had been anything other than kids.”

“Same with Romy,” Jean chimed in from the side, looking a little harried. “She’s back to being my perfectly normal little girl. Rowan’s still a unicorn though. I thought we had this figured out.” The mature woman hung her head, sighing heavily.

“It’s not your fault Jean,” Arnold said, rubbing his hand up and down Jean’s back. “It’s like a new engine without a manual. You aren’t going to know everything at once.”

“But I’m supposed to know these things!” the long-haired woman exclaimed. “I’m the witch here. I’m supposed to be in touch with the Goddess so that she can reveal these things to me.”

“You’re supposed to know how kids turn into adorable ponies and back again?” Lynn asked, gentle sarcasm in her voice. “I didn’t know being a witch made you know everything.”

“I… kids… ARGH!” Jean sputtered out in frustration, before falling back onto the couch she was sitting on, putting her hands over her face. The other three adults in the room shared a good natured chuckle over Jean’s obvious problems with her lack of ability to predict that two of their children had remained as ponies.

“It’s nice to see you can be as perplexed about this as the rest of us,” Ernie said, sipping a cup of coffee. “Does anyone have any idea why Billy and Rowan kinda zoned out for a bit in the sunshine?”

“No,” Arnold said, frowning a bit. “Both he and Rowan were like that for about twenty minutes. They weren’t completely out of it, but they both really wanted to stay in the sun. I asked Billy about it afterward, and all he could say was that the sun ‘felt good’.”

“Huh,” Ernie grunted out, his own brow furrowing as he worked out the implications. “I actually might have an idea what’s going on.”

“What is it?” Jean asked, her head shooting up to look at the farmer opposite her, a note of desperation in her voice. “Tell me.”

“Nope,” Ernie said, shaking his head. “If I’m wrong you’ll just be more disappointed. If I’m right then things should be fine tomorrow.”

“Dear,” Lynn said, putting her hand on her husband’s knee as she noticed Jean’s eyes turn to agates, “are you sure you want to torture our friend, our neighbor, the one who can do honest-to-God magic, like that?”

“Don’t want to raise any false hopes,” Ernie said, before looking toward the afore-mentioned witch. “Besides, I’m confident Jean won’t turn me into a toad just for making her wait to see if I’m right.”

“Fine, you win,” Jean said, throwing up her hands in exasperation. “But either way, you tell me tomorrow what you’re thinking is the reason, okay?”

“Deal,” Ernie said, just managing to suppress a laugh. “Other than that though, everyone seems to be doing okay.”

“Yeah, I’m just wondering how much we’re going to have to hide the kids,” Arnold said. “Thanks for letting them goof around in your addition.”

“Don’t worry about it,” Lynn said, waving a hand. “It was initially meant as an oversized rec room anyway, and besides, it’s our turn to have you all over for dinner.”

“Thanks Lynn,” Jean said. “I’d been wondering how creative I was going to have to be to sneak Rowan back home. What with the reporters all on their way here. When were they expected to show up?” Everyone in town had heard planes going by for the past hour or so.

“Sometime today,” Arnold said, just as a knock echoed throughout the room from the front door. Everyone stopped and froze for a moment, looking at each other.

“You don’t think?” Jean asked, looking at Arnold with a raised eyebrow.

“Can’t be,” Lynn said, shaking her head. “Ernie, do you mind?”

“On it, dear,” Ernie said, getting out of his recliner and making his way to the front door. Opening it he saw the lean figure of Jessica Harkins dressed casually in jeans and denim jacket standing in front of him.

“Hey Ernie,” Jessica said, and Ernie could pick up a hint of nervousness in her voice. “Chief sent me by. He asked if we could all be at the station in an hour.”

“Come on in for a few,” Ernie said, opening the door wide and stepping a bit aside to make room through the doorway.

“You sure?” Jessica asked, clearly torn between going in and being cautious. “I don’t want to push or anything.”

“Jessica,” Ernie began, smiling, “we’re fine. We’ve worked together for years and that little revelation of yours just took me by surprise a bit. Don’t expect me to start using all those weird pronouns though.”

“Oh?” Jessica replied, stepping inside and seeing the other three in the living room.

“Yup,” Ernie said, and he could see the others paying careful attention while trying to look like they weren’t paying attention. “I’ve always known you as Miss Jessica Harkins, and that’s the way I’m gonna keep thinking of you.”

“Thank you,” Jessica said, “that means a lot to me.”

“No problem,” Ernie said, leading Jessica into the living room. “Did you want to go say hi to the kids? Billy and Rowan never changed back.”

“Who?” Jessica asked, confused for a moment.

“Iron Hoof and Shield Maiden,” Arnold supplied, putting aside his drink.

“Oh!” Jessica said, linking the names to the faces she knew. “Any idea why all of them didn’t change back?”

“We’ve just spent the past hour going around the room trying to figure it out,” Arnold said, as Jean pinched the bridge of her nose.

“Any ideas?” Jessica asked, looking over at Jean.

“No, I don’t know, I have no idea, and the only person who maybe has an idea won’t tell me until tomorrow,” Jean said, almost growling the words out.

“If I’m wrong, I’m wrong,” Ernie said, spreading his hands wide. “Anyway, apparently Montcalm wants us at the station in an hour, guess the reporters finally made it into town. I’ve got to grab a couple of things. Arn, can you take Jessica to see the kids?”


“I’m bored,” Zak said, drawing out the word until it was a siren’s wail. He and his friends had been cooped up in the long extension off the main house since early morning. “I wanna go outside and do something.”

“Go ahead, Zak,” Billy said, lying down on the floor while Zak’s sister Kya braided his mane. “At least you can go outside. Me and Rowan are stuck here, at least until the sun goes down anyway.”

“Sorry about that,” Zak said, deflating a bit. “Not fair for me to complain is it?”

“It’s okay,” Billy said, nodding and almost pulling his partly braided mane out of Kya’s hands.

“Sit still,” Kya admonished, weaving a green ribbon into the braid she had created with the orange streak in her friend’s otherwise yellow mane.

“I’m sitting, I’m sitting,” Billy said, wincing at the occasional tug Kya gave his mane as she worked.

“You agreed to do this so Romy and Kya would have something to do,” Rowan said, as she lay a few feet away while her sister worked on the third braid she was making in Rowan’s tail.

“I know,” Billy said, doing his best to keep his head and neck still. “I still wish we knew why you and me didn’t change back.”

“Have you tried turning the magic off and on again?” Romy asked, securing the braid she was working on with an elastic. “That works with a lot of stuff.”

“This isn’t my dad’s computer,” Zak said, rolling his eyes. “This is magic we’re talking about. How would we turn it off and on anyway?”

“We could always try redoing the spell?” Kya offered, her voice just above a quiet whisper.

“What?” Rowan asked, her head coming up fast. “Redo the spell? Like cast it again?”

“Hey, ya!” Billy said, trying to move only his eyes as Kya worked on finishing off the tight braid. “Cast the spell again. Worst thing is nothing happens.”

“But we don’t have the book,” Rowan said, in protest and giving her now fully braided tail a flick. “Mom went and locked it in the cupboard after the other night.”

“Besides, I'm a moron,” Billy said, holding his head against the pull on his braid. “I forgot we already tried that back when we first became ponies, remember?”

“That was before,” Romy said, warming to the idea. “Rowey’s way better with magic now, and that was before the Night Horse too.”

“And you remember the words, right?” Zak asked, leaning forward, “And hey, if it turns the rest of us into ponies again at least we’ll be ponies together.”

“Like we’re supposed to be,” Kya said, a gentle smile on her face as she placed the final knot in the securing ribbon.

“I guess I could try… “ Rowan hedged, looking to the others. One by one each of her friends nodded their assent. “I mean, if you’re all sure.”

“We are,” came the agreement from her four friends, gathering close.

“Okay then,” Rowan said, drawing on the power around her and focusing her vision and mind on her amethyst pendant. “In nomine Sol…”


“So, did Darrell actually send you or did you volunteer?” Arnold asked Jessica, as they left the living room to go down the long hallway to the addition.

“Bit of both,” Jessica said, following the much larger man. “I needed a break for an hour or two from the clinic.”

“Been busy?” Arnold asked, concern in his voice.

“Not really,” Jessica replied, as they neared the end of the hallway. “But when you’re the closest thing… do you hear something?”

FACTI SUNT NOBIS!”, Rowan’s voice thundered, from the room ahead in a voice far beyond the volume of what someone her age should be able to manage.

“Crap,” was all Arnold had time to say, as an iridescent wall swept toward, over and through him, and he felt himself going down in a tangle of legs.

“ROWAN AMELIA PEDERSEN! What have you done?” Jean’s voice came from the living room and Arnold could hear steps running toward him.

He tried to get up, but his legs weren’t working right for some reason. Whatever it was coming towards them was getting closer, he had to get up. He HAD to. Arnold tried to get up again, his legs flailing. His vision was filled with a confusing blur of light and dark, hair from somewhere got in his eyes and he tried tossing his head to clear it. His misguided neck muscles drove his head into the nearby wall, and the world seemed to slide away as a roaring filled his ears.

Distant shouts came to him and something landed on his side. Panic lent strength to Arnold’s legs and he tried surging upwards through the confusion and fog filling his mind, only to be betrayed by his lack of coordination. His legs, too many legs, tangled in each other and Arnold fell heavily to his side again despite his barely having gotten off the floor. Something was grabbing at his legs trying to trap him, and he blindly kicked out.

“Stay down, Arn!” Ernie said, trying to stay atop the equine form of his panicking friend. “Someone grab his legs before he puts another hole in the wall.” Ernie and Lynn had dealt with panicking animals before, but never in such close quarters and a shot of fear for his friend went through him even as he saw Lynn drag the ponied shape of Jessica clear of the melee.

Arnold Kye didn’t hear any of this. The confusion of suddenly being a pony, combined with the blow to his head had reduced him to a simple state of raw power and determination. He could hear someone telling him that he was okay, but that voice was distant and unimportant compared to the driving need he had to accomplish his goal of standing up.

Then something covered his head, and everything disappeared into a soothing blackness. He took a panicked breath and inhaled the familiar scent of herbs, flowers and pine needles. He knew that scent, he knew who it belonged to and as the image of that person came to his mind he heard a voice in his ear working its way through his mental fog.

“Arnold, it’s okay,” Jean said, into the ear of the night black equine against her as she held her jacket over his face. “I’m here, you’re safe.” She kept repeating it like a mantra, and slowly she felt the muscular form against her relax and stop its frenzied struggles. She risked a glance upward and saw the horrified looks of Rowan and the kids, all five of them ponies again. Rowan looked like she was either about to throw up or burst into tears, maybe both.

“Is my dad gonna be okay?” Billy said, his face stricken.

“Billy?” Arnold said, his voice muffled by Jean’s jacket and coming back to his senses.

“You with us again?” Jean asked, peeking into the jacket and seeing an equine eye looking back at her.

“I’m good, you can let me up,” Arnold said, twitching his legs, “and maybe let go of my legs at least?”

“Sorry Arn,” Ernie said, letting go of his friend’s legs that he had folded up against his body to rob those strong legs of much of their power. “You’ve got quite the kick on you.”

“You aren’t getting up yet, Arnold,” Jean said, taking the jacket off Arnold’s head with slow care. It was obvious she was ready to slap the improvised blindfold back on in an instant if she had to. “You aren’t ready yet.”

“Yes Ma’am, I’ll be good,” Arnold said, twisting his head to look over at Billy. “I’m okay, son. How’s Jessica?”

“I’m okay,” Jessica said, from back up the hall. “I see what you meant about not being able to control things right away.” For some reason Arnold couldn’t fathom, Jessica sounded happy, even giddy.

“I’m really, really sorry, Mr. Kye,” Rowan said, and the tears were flowing now at the chaos she had accidentally caused. “We just wanted to see if doing the spell again would make us kids again. We didn’t mean... “

“Is everybody okay?” Lynn asked, interrupting Rowan’s confession of guilt. In turn, everyone spoke up that they were a bit bruised, but otherwise in good health.

“It was an accident,” Arnold said, looking Rowan directly in the eye and feeling more control come over his motions now. “Everyone’s reasonably okay.”

“My wall took some hits though,” Ernie said, rubbing his belly. “So did my gut. One thing is for sure Arnold. We are never putting shoes on your pony form. I’d hate to see what you could do with a steel shod hoof.” Rowan visibly gulped and looked ready to burst into tears again, despite her friends trying to comfort her.

“Ernie, I think we should move this discussion to your addition?” Jean asked, still keeping a hand against Arnold’s side as she took a moment to take in his equine form. His fur was a rich glossy black that seemed to drink in the light, while glistening with brilliant highlights at the same time. Long strong legs with unshorn fetlocks held up a body covered with well-defined muscle and a deep powerful chest. His tail and mane were ebon waterfalls, long and rippling, and Jean had to resist the urge to start running her hands through them.

“Sounds like a good idea,” Ernie said, bending over to scoop Jessica off the floor with a grunt of effort.

“Rowan, would you please lift and carry Mr. Kye over to where you and your friends were sitting,” Jean said, and Romy’s eyes went wide at her mother’s tone of voice. Jean’s voice was as polite and calm as anyone could have wished, but it was also as inflexible and hard as a mountain range.

“Yes, Mom,” Rowan said, in complete obedience and an orange glow covered her small horn as a glowing platform appeared below Arnold lifting him smoothly upward.

“Jean?” Lynn asked, touching her friend’s arm in concern. “Are you okay?”

“I’m fine, Lynn,” Jean said, not noticing her friend flinch away from that same polite, hard tone. “I just need to reacquaint my daughter with the Three-fold Law.”

“Three-fold Law?” Ernie asked, carrying Jessica, whose own transformation had changed her into a cream coloured pegasus with half white and half red feathered wings, with a red and blue tail.

“I’ll explain once we’re all settled,” Jean said, following the kids and Arnold back into the addition. It took only a minute or so for everyone to find a spot to sit in the large room, and either by coincidence or intention Rowan wound up in sitting a couple of feet in front of her mother. For her part Jean sat cross-legged on the floor, the black form of Arnold lying against her and as she propped him up her hands idly ran through his mane.

“Mom, I didn’t mean to hurt anyone,” Rowan said, looking up at her mother with hurt in her eyes. “We were just trying to make all of us to be either kids or ponies again.”

“I understand that,” Jean said, and her voice began to return to the warmth everyone normally associated with it. “For the sake of everyone else here, what is the Three-fold Law?”

“That whatever you send out, comes back to you three times over,” Rowan recited with the cadence of long held memory. “If you send out good, good comes back to you and yours. If you send out bad, bad comes back.”

“So, karma?” Arnold asked at her side, and Ernie took the moment to lean Jessica up against Jean’s other side so that she had a pony on either side of her.

“Karma is one way to put it,” Jean said, taking a deep cleansing breath. “Rowan, you’ve done the spell three times now. The first time was by accident, the second was with the intent to do good, this time though… Your intent was to help yourself, wasn’t it?”

“Y-yes,” Rowan stammered, feeling very much on trial. “I just wanted us all to be together. I didn’t mean Mr. Kye or Miss Harkins to get caught up in it.”

“Three-fold Law, Rowan,” Jean reminded her. “You put your will out into the world with an intent for everyone around you to be ponies, and the universe answered you with ponies.”

“Oh,” Rowan said, crestfallen and looking back and forth at the furred forms of Jessica and Arnold added, “I’m sorry.”

“Intent shapes magic,” Jean said, and she held out the arm that wasn’t wrapped around Arnold. “Come here.” Rowan needed no further urging and leapt into her mother’s hug.

“I’ll make it up, Mom,” Rowan said, burying her face in her mother’s chest. “What can I do to make it better?”

“Two things,” Jean said, smiling down to let her little unicorn girl know she was forgiven. “First, I want your promise that you won’t cast that spell again without my direct approval. Second, you will help Miss Harkins learn how to walk and move while she’s a pony.”

“We’ll help too!” Zak chimed in, wearing the pegasus form of Darter. “We convinced Rowan to do the spell, we should help too.”

“Lynn, Ernie, is that okay with you?” Jean asked, tilting her head to look behind her.

“Sounds good to me,” Lynn said. “Ernie, what about you?”

“I think it's appropriate,” the farmer said, and then everyone heard a chuckle come from him. “You realize of course, that I have to go to the firehall, by myself and explain that two members of the fire crew are now feeling a little hoarse.” Pillows and cushions flew, and Ernie wisely fled back to the kitchen.

“Were you really that mad at Rowan?” Arnold said, under his breath so that only Jean could hear him. All eyes were currently focused on the middle of the room, where Darter and Skylark were holding up Jessica’s wings from either side and showing the new pegasus how to move her wings, one at a time.

“Not really,” Jean murmured back, her left hand running constantly through Arnold’s mane. It was just as soft and silky as she imagined it would be. “But I had to impress on her how seriously she has to take her… our new abilities. She doesn’t know the danger she’s in now.”

“Danger?” Arnold asked, lifting his head which he now had under full control. “How is Rowan in danger?”

“When Lynn was pulling Jessica clear, I got a good look at her underside,” Jean said, emphasizing the pronoun.

“Her?” Arnold asked, catching the emphasis. “But she’s post-op, didn’t they give her a… um, parts?“

“She hadn’t gotten that far yet,” Jean said, leaning close to whisper in Arnold’s ear. “But she has one now.”

“But that would mean—” Arnold began, his eyes wide in astonishment.

“Ya,” Jean said, nodding. “Now you know why I said what I did, about intent shaping magic and why Rowan is in danger.”

“But Rowan isn’t old enough to really understand those concepts,” Arnold protested. “There’s no way she could have intentionally done what the magic did.”

“Intent shapes magic,” Jean said. “I’ve got a feeling that the spell reaches out to a person’s hopes and dreams to shape them in the way that they think they should be. Zak and Kya can fly like they’ve always wanted to. I became a unicorn. Romy can see things a different way than everyone else does, while still remaining grounded. You’ve become powerful and strong. Intent, hopes, dreams.”

“And Rowan’s magic affects the world around her, as opposed to just herself. She can make shields, she can transform people,” Arnold said, nodding. “She has the power to do a lot of good, you know.”

“And the power to do a lot of harm, especially by accident,” Jean said, the feel of dark fur under her hand giving her a sense of calm. “I have to admit that when I felt the magic fire up and saw it coming toward me, I panicked a little bit. Fun as being a pony is, I was glad the spell stopped short of the rest of us.”

“And some folks might do more than feel a little fear. They might get down right terrified,” Arnold said, a smile crossing his equine muzzle. “So, that’s why you made her promise you not to cast the spell again, and why you hammered down the Peter Parker Principle to her.”

“The what?” Jean asked, her eyes narrowing as her hand glided over the black silk covering Arnold’s side. “That I have to make sure that Rowan respects me as much as Peter respected his Aunt May?”

“No, come on. You know what I mean,” Arnold said, something like a snicker coming from him. “Say the words.”

“Fine, ‘With great power comes great responsibility’,” Jean said, rolling her eyes. “Happy now?”

“Yup, but I have one other question though,” Arnold said, and Jean could hear an odd cross of humour and confusion in his voice. “Jean, are you… petting me?” Jean’s hand froze in place, deep in the midnight tresses of Arnold’s mane.

“Maybe.”

Author's Note:

Upping the tension a bit here as some of the potential dangers of being able to transform people into ponies are realized. You can bet the adults are going to be having a lot of talks about this.

All hail my editors of evil: Sandstorm94 and Coyotethetrickster. Theirs is the strength of ten, for their hearts are pure... something.


Come over and say hi to me and the folks on Damaged's Discord server if you like. Just be ready to link your Fimfiction account and please be aware 18+ only as the chat can and often does venture into adult subjects and language.

Support me if you can on Patreon for as little as a dollar a month. Patreon is probably one of the best things ever for keeping word Sherpas like me in coffee and working keyboards. Some months you folks really make the difference.

A big shout out to the ongoing support through Patreon by:

Canary in the Coal Mine,
Damaged,
Shaushka,
Airar,
Pseudosapien,
and
Machara.

PreviousChapters Next