• Published 8th Jul 2017
  • 2,968 Views, 132 Comments

Equestrian Railway Tales - Sudrian Engineer



Sodor and Equestria, Two lands, different as can be. Once they are connected, friendships will be made, engines will be driven, and most importantly, fun will be had as we ride the rails of Sodor in these, Tales of Sudrian and Equestrian Railways.

  • ...
5
 132
 2,968

Arriving on Sodor

Dear Mom and Dad,

Life has been pretty crazy on the railway this past week Troy and I met these weird creatures and Sir Topham Hatt told us about some legends of the island. Work is picking up so my next message may not be for a few months. I love and miss you both.

Forever your son,

Matthew Hope

------------------

It was a beautiful day in Equestria, and Twilight Sparkle and her friends were riding on the Friendship Express, heading back to Ponyville after visiting Canterlot. They had been visiting Cadence and Shining Armour, who were in the city to see Twilight and Shining’s parents. Twilight was heading back to her seat, when she noticed a jar filled with a golden substance. What she didn’t know, was that the jar had gold dust, something Princess Celestia put there for a soon to be fulfilled purpose. Being the smart, eager to learn alicorn she was, Twilight picked up the jar with her magic and planned to study it when she got home. The rest of the bearers of The Elements of Harmony, affectionately called the Main Six, were already in their seats chatting with each other.

“What’s that ya got there, Twi?” asked the orange Earth Pony, Applejack.

“I don’t know, Applejack. It looks like gold dust, but it seems to have magical properties. Maybe Princess Celestia put it there? But if so, why? I’ll need to study it when we get back to Ponyville.” What happened next was possibly due to fate, or due to Celestian Circumstances, either way the train went around a very tight turn and leaned to the side. This sudden jerk caused Twilight to drop the jar. As the jar hit the ground, it shattered, spreading gold dust all over the ponies.

“What in tarnation,” Applejack tried to say, but she was never able to finish. As the locomotive’s whistle blew, the gold dust glew and the ponies teleported away.

---Meanwhile, far away, in another World---

It was morning on the Island of Sodor, and two friends were on their way to work on Sir Topham Hatt’s railway. One of them was Troy Blaze, a fairly solidly built young man with shaggy dark brown hair. At 5’5”, he was fairly average height. The other was named Matthew Hope, he had a slightly pudgy build but was by no means overweight. He was 5’6” and had a full head of brown hair like Troy. The two had been friends since they met back when Troy first came to the island.

“Hey Matt, so what do ya think about Sir Topham Hatt bringing a new tank engine to the railway?” Troy asked.

Matthew thought for a moment before responding, “Well we do need a new station pilot. I just hope Gordon doesn’t tease him or her.”

Troy sighed and shook his head. “Ah doubt it. He seems to think the other engines are beneath him. But yer right about needing a new pilot. It’s rough on me an Eagle having to both work the yard and run trains, so a new engi- LOOK OUT!” Up ahead there was a bright flash and six figures appeared on the side of the road.

Matthew quickly hit the brakes and swerved off the road to avoid hitting the figures. WHAT THE HECK WAS THAT?!” He shouted in fear.

“Ugh, well, ah’d say it was a bright flash with six figures appearing, like the authors said. But, uh, correct me if ah’m wrong, but… are those… ponies?”

Matthew stared for a moment before answering, “Yes but they don’t look like any ponies I’ve ever seen.”

Troy sighed. “Well, guess we should probably do somethin with em. Ah mean, we can’t just leave em here. Yer place is closer, we’ll take em there. Huh, ya know, it’s weird but, the purple one kinda reminds me of this girl ah knew back home. ”

They carefully put the unconscious ponies into the back of the van before setting off to Matthew‘s home. While on their way, Troy phoned Sir Topham Hatt. He had no idea how a cell phone got signal on the island, but he just assumed magic and didn’t think too hard about it. Though at the moment, he was wishing it didn’t. He really did not want to make this call.

“Hello, Sir Topham Hatt speaking.”

“Um, g-good morning sir! How’s it going?” Troy asked nervously.

“What did you do this time?” sighed Sir Topham Hatt.

“Hey, it wasn’t me this time! We found a bunch o’ weird lookin ponies on the side o’ the road after they appeared there in some kinda flash of light!”Troy exclaimed. “We didn’t know what else ta do, so we’re bringin’ em to Matt’s house before we report in, so we might be a wee bit late.”

“Very well, I shall see you two soon.” said Sir Topham Hatt.

“Yes sir” replied Troy as he hung up. He then turned to Matthew. “Well, we’re in the clear. Let’s get these girls back to your place and get to work. We’ll move em to mah place later. It’s out of the way, so ah don’t get a lot of visitors."

Matthew replied in a confused manner, “Good idea.”

---Meanwhile---

Sir Topham Hatt sighed as he stared out the window of his office thinking about what Troy had told him. “So, the legends were true and it does exist. But out of all my employees, why those two? Why did those two have to be the ones to make first contact? Well, I suppose it could be worse. At least they appeared on my railway. They’ll treat them well enough, not like livestock. I hope.”

---Back with our intrepid railroaders, our other six heroes---

“Ah crap.”

“What is it, Troy?”

“Did I leave the stove on?”

“I sure hope not,” Matthew replied as they finished setting the ponies on his living room floor.

“No, ah didn’t. Forgot ah didn’t even use the stove last night. Ah went to that new ramen place in town. Good eats, you should try it sometime.” Troy said. “Welp, they’re here, ah don’t think there’s anything they can destroy, that should do it. No, hold on, think we should leave somethin out for em ta eat?” Matthew was about to reply when the ponies started to stir and groan slightly.

“Hey, they’re waking up. And they sound oddly human.” Troy pointed out.

As the girls woke fully, they gasped at the sight before them.

“Wh-who are you?” asked Twilight.

“Huh. Didn’t see that comin.”

Author's Note:

We both hope you enjoy this first chapter