• Published 2nd May 2017
  • 9,729 Views, 2,619 Comments

Fading Suns: A New World - David Silver



A new jumpgate is discovered, or rather a very old and decayed one that had been brought back online. House Hawkwood sends a bold explorer through to discover what riches await on the other end. He did not expect equines to be the result.

  • ...
36
 2,619
 9,729

PreviousChapters Next
27 - Community Effort

Laud returned home after a day of vigorous surveying as best he could with a discerning eye. He needed a proper builder, this he was certain of. He knew of politics, flying a ship, and swordplay. Was that not enough for one man? At least he had some idea of the lay of his land. His land... He smiled as he pushed open the door to the castle. It was land under his direct care. Thinking of that made him feel... Good. Satisfied? He would do well by what had been trusted to him.

"Laud?" It was Twilight, trotting from the map room. "I'm glad you're back. I wanted to talk to you." She had a nervous smile on her face. "There's something I have been neglecting to say, but mostly because I wasn't entirely certain of it, but I'm feeling increasingly so."

He tensed just faintly. So far, Twilight had been a source of nothing foul. Perhaps what she thought was concerning was a little nothing. "Whatever it is, we shall face it directly." Yes, perhaps it was simply something that worried little ponies.

Twilight smiled a little more easedly. "I'm glad you have that attitude. You see, We've, well, Starlight and I, we've seen things like you before."

Or maybe it was something that would worry him. Though it could be an answer to so much. "Where? 'Like' me? Were they human?"

Twilight wobbled a hoof in the air. "That's the problem. There are superficial similarities, but also so many differences. The proportions are all wrong, and they speak Ponish." She pointed at her snout. "I can understand them, and they can understand me without translation, spoken and written. They don't have your accent either. This is like saying a zebra is a pony is a cow, which is clearly not true."

Something like a human, but not? His interest was piqued. "Where do these not-humans live? Do they have friendly relations with Equestria?" He had to say 'Equestria' in their tongue, as there was no human word for it. Perhaps he'd make one up?

Twilight rubbed one leg with an opposing hoof. "They live on... another world, and most of them don't know about Equestria at all."

Laud's face fell into a sudden frown. "Wait. Are you saying you have star travel?"

Twilight rapidly shook her head. "Nothing like the way you do it. I can... travel to other variations of our world. A world that follows the same basic theme, with vital differences. In the world I speak of, there are no ponies. Everyone is bipedal, like you." She pointed at Laud. "They have fingers and smooth skin and everything, but I do not think they are the same species as you. The similarity is uncanny... But I feel you should know this."

"You said Starlight has been there as well?"

With a sudden pop of magic, Starlight appeared. "Someone call? I could swear I heard my name before." She looked up at Laud with a smile. "Hey, Laud, what's up? One moment." She fished out her translating collar and had it on in a jiff. "There we are, is that better?" Her collar obediently translated it to English.

Twilight's eyes went wide. "You have a translator and you didn't tell me?!" She rushed for Starlight, peering at the collar. "How does it work? Tell me you can make another one!"

Laud approached the two with his hands held up in front of him. "Wait, please. Starlight, you've seen these bipedal things Twilight has spoken of?"

Starlight perked an ear at Laud. "Biped--Oh! The Equestrian Highs! They have killer ice cream." She licked her furry snout in the memory of it. "What about them?"

Twilight looked aside at Starlight. "Their dessert is what you remember most clearly?"

"It was delicious." Starlight nodded. "Seriously, what about them?"

Laud lowered to a crouch. "Tell me, have you borrowed technology from them?"

Starlight looked lost and glanced back at Twilight.

Twilight shook her head. "In the interest of not destroying both worlds, I have tried to not take anything from their world to ours, or vice versa, so, no. I haven't even tried to imitate their technology. I would need more time than I typically have when I visit, and my royal duties become larger every day, it feels like."

Was it magic? "I gather you arrive at these alternative worlds through some sort of sorcery?"

Twilight laughed nervously at that. "Well... yes...? There is technology involved, but in the end, a healthy dose of magic is what enables this." She sat on her haunches and tapped her hooves together. "That was another reason I didn't want to bring it up. You have a very clear distrust for magic." She inclined an ear. "Did you actually wear an anti-magic charm to Celestia?" Her brows raised together. "She is the last pony you should be worried about, and that's a little paranoid, don't you think?"

Had he given the impression of fear? That was not one of his goals. "Better prepared than otherwise, besides, meeting Celestia was a pleasant turn of circumstance."

Twilight nodded. "So you were just wearing it for Luna then? That's not much better. I hope you don't think you need one of those around me." She put a hoof at her chest. "Oh, that reminds me. What did you decide, with Celestia? She said I should find out from you."

Starlight moved between Twilight and Laud. "Don't mind her. She just thinks Celestia is the best thing ever."

"Are you saying she isn't?!" Twilight's wings had extended in a pegasus display of worked emotions. "Look, we're... getting off topic. What did you discuss?"

Laud pulled out his writ and offered it to Twilight. "I have been given leave and stewardship over a plot of land that I plan to develop into readiness for when the gate is repaired and ships arrive. Do you know any construction experts?"

Twilight's magic took hold of the writ and her eyes wandered over it. "Hmm, yes. Will these be the, uh, traditional sort of buildings?"

Laud wasn't sure what that meant. "We'll need paved ground, firm buildings constructed of concrete or stone at least? Bricks would work. Preferably a lack of flammable materials."

Twilight bobbed her head. "Then I have the right ponies for the job." She let out a nervous little laugh. "I once sent them on a job that needed more landscaping and less construction, that didn't work out well. But what you're describing is exactly what they do. I'll have them contact you." She folded the paper and held it in her magic towards Laud. "That isn't, technically, in Ponyville, it's just beside it."

Starlight nodded. "We were just speaking to Maud about it earlier today. It's right on top of her house."

Laud pointed in its general direction. "She is as eager to move forward as I am, as best she displays such emotions."

Starlight suddenly grinned. "So, did you want to visit the Canterlot Highs?" She tapped her hooves together. "I'd love to show you around. You'll have a blast! They aren't even vegetarians, so that'll be a treat, right?"

That held promise, but... "Let's focus on the task at hand. We have construction to begin. Once it is proceeding satisfactorily, it will cease needing my direct input for a time. I am no foreman, so that may be a fine time to see this... Isn't Canterlot the name of your capital?"

Twilight shrugged at that. "I did mention the different worlds share the theme, so our important place is Canterlot, and so is theirs. It's also not the only place here, or there. It just happens to be where we find ourselves." She turned to Starlight. "Now, since Laud doesn't even belong to this world, the odds of running into a second Laud approach zero, but, just in case, both of you, avoid yourself, kindly." She gave a nervous smile. "Other than that, don't make a scene and... have fun, I suppose." She hiked a brow. "I'd tell you not to, but I know you better than that."

Starlight rolled her eyes. "Guilty as charged. I want to see what he thinks of them, and they might find him fascinating. I'll bring him straight to the girls though, not random other people."

The meeting dispersed. They all had work to do.


Twilight looked to Starlight. She was seated before her student, trying to give her sternest look, just as she imagined Celestia had given her at many times. "So, you really want to bring him there, hmm?"

Starlight trailed a hoof over the crystal floor. "Yeah? What's wrong with that? I bet the other Rainbow Dash will want to compete against him in every possible way."

"And that's your entire motivation?" She hiked a brow at Starlight. Something was being hidden, she was sure of it.

"Well... I might... also... be a little curious to see what happens if a human goes through a mirror portal." She smiled so hard her flesh squeaked. "Whatever it is, it'll undo when he comes back, so it's harmless."

Twilight let her head sag forward, a hoof catching her face with her grunt. "Starlight..."

"You know it's true! Even if he sprouts a second head, a quick shove back into the portal and it's gone." She hopped up to her hooves defensively.

Twilight rose up more guardedly. "Be that as it may, I think you may be forgetting who we are dealing with. He doesn't like magic, remember? Do you want to be the pony that disfigures him in a possibly traumatic fashion? Do you think he'll be quick to forgive that, especially if he figures out you knew it could happen and didn't even warn him?!"

Starlight's head sagged in shame. "But... I... Right..." She kicked at the crystal floor, not that it minded. "I'll warn him before we go through, promise."

Twilight patted her on the shoulder. "You know that's the right thing to do."


Laud stood before a busy field. Large earth ponies were shouting to one another as they lumbered around in their hard hats. They were on the case, and this pleased Laud. They had understood his intentions without a blink. They knew what paving meant. They understood the idea of 'fireproof'. They got right into it without delay, and he couldn't be more pleased.

"This will not match the appearance of Ponyville," spoke the refined tones of Mayor Mare. "Though I suppose we lost that effort when Princess Twilight's castle arrived. I would like a compromise that should assist in your efforts and help Ponyville look better."

Laud turned his head to her. "What do you have in mind?"

"A wall." She ran her left forehoof in a circle. "Tall, but covered in local art and frescoes. It will be an attractive sight for those coming or going, and minimize the view of the flat black surface you intend to have built here. Any visitors will be pleased as well, and know they are arriving at a place that values culture as much as functionality, not that the walls won't have a function." She put a hoof to her chest. "They will allow you to control traffic coming and going, limit sound pollution, and provide a barrier in case of catastrophe."

Laud began to see all the more how Mayor Mare had held onto her job for so long. "That is a fantastic idea. Do you have people you would recommend for that project?"

"I do." She pointed at the construction ponies. "They can erect the basic structure, but I'll have artists start to come by and add their touches to both sides as it comes up."

An idea came to him. "If we tell them their art will be the first thing visitors from other worlds will see, they may even be inspired."

"And work for less," agreed Mayor Mare. "Shrewd. I'll be sure to include that in my pitch." She took a step back towards town. "You've surprised me. When first we met, I had no idea what to make of you, but if the Princesses all agree, then there is obviously something to your words. I look forward to working with you."

Author's Note:

Want this story updated faster? Want to get your own story written? Want to just support the author in his writing? Join the atreon!

Join my discord to chat!

PreviousChapters Next