• Published 2nd May 2017
  • 9,748 Views, 2,619 Comments

Fading Suns: A New World - David Silver



A new jumpgate is discovered, or rather a very old and decayed one that had been brought back online. House Hawkwood sends a bold explorer through to discover what riches await on the other end. He did not expect equines to be the result.

  • ...
36
 2,619
 9,748

PreviousChapters Next
14 - Are You Ready to Party?

They cut through Ponyville in a direct line towards the boutique that Rarity resided in. "Hey Laud!" called a waving Lyra. "Where ya going?"

Laud returned the wave, with more fingers involved. "To Lady Rarity's. She has business that requires me."

"How fancy." Her eyes fell to the smitten Spike. "And you brought Spike."

"Should I not have?" That was the second pony to imply he shouldn't keep company with Spike. Was there something he was missing?

"No no! Just, uh. Hey, Spike?"

"Yeah?" He snapped out of his little reverie. "What's up?"

"Tell Bonnie I'll be a minute late, please?" She flashed a big smile.

Spike grunted softly, but went running off. With him gone, Lyra stepped forward. "He has a little baby crush on Rarity. It's kind of cute, but also kind of distracting. Just keep an eye on him. Rarity can usually keep it in hand on her own, but it's something to bear in mind."

That was far less troubling than Laud had worried. For a moment he had thought perhaps Spike was some sort of outcast he had not noticed, someone he would have to avoid if he wanted any social mobility. "How young is Spike, as a dragon?"

Lyra lifted her shoulders. "If it helps, Twilight hatched him when she was already about six."

That was not as helpful as it could be, not knowing Twilight's age. Still, six years younger than her was a start. Spike came dashing back, his mission complete. "Alright, we should move on. Be well, Miss Heartstrings."

Spike asked as they continued, "What was she talking about? Trying to set up another fight between you and Bon Bon?"

"Nothing of the sort." He looked around the street, noting the ponies had no reaction to him anymore. He had become another part of their town. He supposed being outside with Maud, learning Pony English probably helped with that. Yes, Pony English. It was the best way to describe the equine noises that had the syntax and grammar of English. That reminded him. "Spike, do I have an accent?"

"Well, yeah?" He lifted his shoulders in a helpless shrug. "I mean, we all do. Applejack and Rarity's are the thickest of the girls, while you get the honor among my guy friends. Nothing wrong with that. I mean, I understand you, and so does everyone else." He pointed ahead as the boutique came into view. "Here we are. You can ask her if you want, but she'll say the same."

He strode to her door with purpose and rapped on it. Pony doors, the ones not built for castles, were a bit shorter than he would have liked, but so were ponies, being on all fours all the time.

"Come in," sang a voice from inside as the doorknob glowed a soft magic and it swung open to reveal the fashionable interior.

Spike and Laud entered to find Rarity running some fabric through her sewing machine. "You caught me just as I was finishing up, darlings. Please, a moment." She guided the clothing with her hooves even as her horn glowed, multitasking to get the job done right. She pulled the cloth through and held it up, letting it open to reveal it to be a dress suitable for a pony to wear. "It still needs a few finishing touches, but it can wait. Sir Laud, a pleasure." She set the garment on a hook and hopped off the stool she was on to face them. "And Spike as well! What a fortunate day, bringing all my gallant gentlemen at once." She gave a little light-hearted giggle. "But you didn't come to listen to me ramble. This way, darlings."

She trotted on light hooves to a curtain. "You've been made to suffer, Sir Laud. No noble should be forced to subsist on one set of clothing." With a tug of her horn's magic, the curtain fell aside, revealing two sets of clothing sized quite specifically for a human, not a pony. "I present, the Hawkwood Line!" She cleared her throat. "Please do forgive my using your house's name, darling. It's for you in the end."

Laud stepped forward slowly, a little bedazzled by the smart-looking suits. One looked fit for a ball, a little floofier than he would have liked it, but quite formal. It spoke of elegance and nobility. "You are a true craftsman," he breathed out, running a finger along a sleeve of the suit, admiring its pleasing texture. "And I see you understand the duality of my responsibility." His attention slid to the other suit, built clearly for rougher times. It still had the subtle touches that spoke of refinement, but the sleeves were straight and there was not a hint of poofiness about it. The texture was a bit rougher and he imagined the fabric was tougher. It was a fine suit outside of formal settings that might even see battle.

He approved of both. "Lady Rarity, this is--"

"Before you say it, no, this is not 'too much'." She tapped a hoof as she smiled at him. "You are our guest, an ambassador from a foreign land in dire straits. Besides, don't you worry, I can bill Twilight, who will bill Celestia, and everything will work out. I have my ways."

Rarity's admission of having a line to be paid was amusing, but also comforting. "It's good to hear you aren't setting aside your business for me, Lady Rarity."

Spike waved the idea of it away. "Rarity knows her stuff." He was peering at the suits. "Do you really like this?" He poked at one of the floofy bits. "She's made me wear stuff like this."

His displeasure was clear to Laud. "Being a noble means wearing to strike an image. Different situations may call for different images." And it hit him. Why were pony signs of nobility anything like human ones? Why wasn't this wonderful gift a strange blend of alien cues and signals? Instead it looked lovely. That mystery had to be solved... "Lady Rarity, thank you."

She fanned herself with a hoof. "You just keep being you, darling, and we'll have no troubles at all. Now, the fitting room is just over there," She pointed to a curtained off area. "Do me the honor of preparing yourself for the soirée Pinkie has planned."

Laud carefully plucked the clothing free of the mannequin that held it and went off to try it on. Rarity nudged Spike gently. "See, that is a true noble. He understands that appearances do matter."

Spike rolled his eyes. "I guess if you're going to a 'frou frou' party, but this is a Pinkie party, it's, like, the opposite of that."

Rarity lifted her shoulders. "I have no doubt she will attempt to inject levity into the proceedings, but this is important. It's Sir Mountbatten's first true time to greet us all formally, and to be greeted. It's so wonderful he can speak properly now. To think, that refinement, hidden under ignorance. It was simply unbearable."

Spike crossed his arms as he leaned back against a cabinet. "He isn't much a noble of anything right now."

"That's where you're wrong." Rarity began cleaning up around the shop, putting things away and tidying. "Nobility is as much in the way one behaves, dear. Besides, if one of those things he used to come here exist, why not more? Why, just imagine, this new line could become a 'thing' as it were. I could sell to other humans that come to Equestria."

Spike thought of it. "Yeah... what if they aren't as nice?"

Rarity rolled a hoof. "Spike, we can't think that way. Opportunity does not wait for those too timid to reach for it. Unruly customers are a part of the business, but one must move past them. You saw how much he appreciated what I made. If even one out of ten of his peers thought the same, why, that would be a victory, Spike dear."

As if summoned, Laud emerged, garbed in his new outfit. His sword hung at his side, his personal effects transferred to the new attire. "You measured me while you were repairing my other suit, I imagine?"

"Guilty as charged," sang Rarity. "How did I do?"

"Quite nice." He flexed one arm and the other, testing how it held up in various positions. "You have a good eye for your craft, making something that... accommodates." He was proud for remembering that word. "Considering the differences in our builds, that is."

"There are other bipeds." Rarity picked out a hat and floated it over to her own head. "Minotaurs, younger dragons, all manner of creatures that may wish for a touch of style, and who am I to deny them? Why, I've quite happily made some outfits for Spike-Wikey here. You will be dressed properly, I assume?" She gave Spike a rather pointed look as she said it.

"O-oh, of course, Rarity." He bowed towards her. "It would not do for a gentleman to disappoint his lady."

A titter escaped from her. "Yes yes, go on then. Put your other clothing away and be ready."

Laud and Spike left the boutique, the larger with clothing draped over an arm. "I should have predicted that, considering the lady's profession."

Spike hiked a thumb back at the boutique as they went. "She loves making new designs. When she can make a few bits doing it is even better, so this was what she wanted." He let out a soft sigh. "Lady Rarity, that's a nice way of saying it... So, uh... does that make me 'Sir Spike'? That sounds pretty cool."

Laud did not want to crush Spike's feelings like an egg, but neither did he want to imply that using 'Sir' freely was a thing one should do either. "Among... my people, the title of 'Sir' carries specific meaning. From what I hear, you could become a 'Sir'. You need only become a knight, perhaps to your royal companion, Twilight Sparkle. If you were her knight, officially, you would be a 'Sir'."

"Huh, really?" Spike's eyes were on the tower/castle they were heading towards. "I gotta talk to her about that. 'Sir Spike'..." The taste of the title seemed to be pleasing to the young dragon.

"Do not reach for a title simply for the honor of bearing it. It is a duty." Laud put his free hand over his heart as he walked. "To be a lady's knight is to be her sword and shield. It is a duty, an honorable one, but it is a duty, and one you should seek to do well if you do it at all."

Spike lifted his shoulders. "Hey, look, I've been doing that since before Twilight was a princess. Why not make it official and get the respect that goes with it?"

Laud could hear some bitterness there, and it poked at him. "Do the others not regard you highly?"

"Well... sometimes?" He glanced away. "It's complicated... but... sometimes I'm just 'that baby dragon', or 'the help'. They don't look at me like a pony sometimes... Has that ever happened to you?"

It had not, not to Laud. He had been instructed from a young age to be proud and to take his nobility with the utmost certainty and conviction. He knew better than to just say that, however. Spike didn't need to hear that. "You are not a pony, but neither am I. You should not try to be either."

"Then what should I be?"

"Spike. You should endeavor to be the best Spike you can be." He waved a hand up at the tower. "Now let's see the outfit Rarity made for you. She clearly likes you, even if not in the fashion you would perhaps prefer. She is a friend, and that is a treasured thing to have."

Spike's cheeks warmed. "Y-yeah... Yeah." He slumped. "But what if I want to be more than just 'friends'?"

Did he dare to give dating advice to a young dragon, one that at least one pony called a 'baby'?

Author's Note:

Laud's looking good and feeling great, but then there's Spike... What should he do, if anything?

You could have your story written by joining the atreon!

Join my discord to chat!

PreviousChapters Next