• Published 2nd Jun 2017
  • 1,156 Views, 20 Comments

Fallout: Equestria - Echoes of the Ministries - Banjo64



A package has been delivered. Within lies echoes of ponies who once held Equestria's fate in their hooves.

  • ...
6
 20
 1,156

Chapter 2: Dismissal

“The knowledge that makes us cherish innocence makes innocence unattainable.”
- Irving Howe


The second memory orb revealed Silent Cry making her way through the ruins of some unidentified building. Her body moved with much more confidence and power as she climbed over rubble, and out of the corner of her eye one could see her legs had some serious muscle on them now. This is not the walk of a young mare, but rather of one in her prime.

She was also following another ghost. This one’s identity was less clear, other than the fact it was a blue coated buck.

“Are you certain this will bring you peace?” she asked in a tone that suggested she had asked the same thing numerous times.

“Beyond a doubt. I had no family to speak of, and my friends have all gone to their rest. All that remains is... *yawn*... is ensuring that the contents of my vault are not lost forever,” said the ghost.

Silent Cry shook her head.

“I have never heard of material items being a source of unrest,” she said.

“Oh, it’s not the material stuff that concerns me. Money and magazines mean little to the dead and I... *yawn*... I am no exception. There is, however, an item of value in the vault far more important than such things. I’m certain you will agree when you see it for... *yawn*... for yourself," assured the ghost.

“At the rate you’re yawning, I’d wager you’re on the brink of falling asleep before we get there,” said Silent Cry with a giggle.

“Doubtful, as we have arrived. The vault is under the debris over there,” said the ghost as the pointed his hoof.

Silent Cry followed his directions, and after pushing aside some stones she found the vault in question.

“Twenty-seven, eighteen, forty-two,” supplied the ghost.

A few turns of the dial later, the vault opened with a creak.

“There. Are you satisfied?” asked Silent Cry.

The ghost responded with another yawn.

“I believe so my... *yawn*... my dear. I feel so tired now. *yawn,* Thank you. I shall see... *yawn*... see you in the next world, I... I sup..." the ghost’s voice left him as, with a final yawn, he laid down and closed his eyes.

A moment later, he faded away.

Silent Cry gave a smile.

“Another day, another soul. Plus, I got a tip this time,” she said to herself as she looked into the vault.

There were a few bags of pre-war money, a small bowling trophy, and a several magazines of... suggestive material.

“Well, they’re sure to sell for a few caps at least,” mumbled Silent Cry as she took her “prizes.”

But as she did so, she noticed something in the back of the vault. It was a small statuette of a certain white mare.

“What the... how in Tartarus did that guy get one of these?!” exclaimed Silent Cry.

“There is a funny story behind that, actually. Amazing what somepony can misplace, isn’t it?” came a very soft voice.

Silent Cry looked around in confusion, then turned to focus on the figurine.

It was shining with the same non-reflective glow of the dead.

“Oh my,” whispered Silent Cry.

She hesitantly reached out and grabbed the statue. As she did, she noticed a second small white figure in the vault. This one however, was moving.

“Rarity, Ministry Mare of the Ministry of Image, I presume?” asked Silent Cry.

The ghost of Rarity, only slightly larger than the statuette in Silent Cry’s hooves, gave a courteous bow.

“Indeed. I have heard a great deal about you from my friends. It is a honor to be able to speak with you, ghost whisperer,” said Rarity, her voice a soft whisper.

Silent Cry rolled her eyes.

“I know the title’s stuck, but I’m hardly anypony ‘honorable.’ I’m just another pony in the wastes. One who happens to help lost souls find peace in her free time,” she said.

Rarity giggled.

“Oh yes. You’re healing deeds are simply a hobby you’ve been doing for almost a decade now. Heaven forbid anypony suspect you of taking it seriously,” she jested.

Silent Cry giggled herself.

“Alright, so maybe it's more than a hobby. In the wastes you have to find something to strive for to keep getting up in the morning, and helping the dead find peace is mine. Though I have to ask, why is your soul in the vault of a business pony I doubt you ever met?” she asked.

“Well, it’s not so much that my soul is in the vault as it is tied to my statuette,” answered Rarity.

Silent Cry raised an eyebrow.

“I know these things are rare, but I don’t think something being in your image can bind a soul like that,” she said.

“Yes, well, it’s not that simple. Have you ever heard of a pony who’s soul was cut into multiple parts?” asked Rarity.

Silent Cry’s eyes widened in shock and horror.

“That was you?! I thought those were only rumors! To deliberately have your soul torn apart like that... I can’t imagine how painful it was. And you did it anyway, for the sake of your friends if the rumors really are true. Geez... Your generousity far surpases anything I will ever do in my lifetime,” said Silent Cry.

Rarity sighed, and levitated up to meet Silent Cry at eye level.

“Yes, my generosity is well know among the deceased. Indeed, even my death was the result of my giving to others. Yet, for all that, I bear the guilt of failure just as heavily as the rest of my friends,” Rarity admitted.

Silent Cry looked around before turning back to Rarity.

“Would you care to talk about it? I don’t believe there is anything or anyone nearby to disturb us, and it’s kind of what I do,” suggested Silent Cry.

Rarity gave a sad smile.

“I suppose. Far be it for me to deny the wishes of the ghost whisperer,” she said.

“I’m not wishing for it. I’m not going to force you to speak if you don’t want to,” said Silent Cry.

“I see no reason not to,” admitted Rarity.

Silent Cry walked to a nearby room, Statuette still in hoof, and sat down on a chair inside that was more or less still intact.

“Where to begin? I assume you know of my actions during the war?” asked Rarity.

“Mostly from second and third hoof accounts. Your Ministry was in charge of ensuring that the citizens of Equestria supported the war effort,” said Silent Cry.

“Propaganda and censorship, darling. Call it what it was,” chided Rarity.

“Sorry, but after hearing from so many sources about how you arranged to preserve the material you were censoring whenever possible, I find it hard to call it such. When I hear censorship, I think of the Enclave and the lies it feeds to its subjects: done with the intent of destroying the truth, rather than simply removing it from the public's mindset for a time,” explained Silent Cry.

“Your admiration is appreciated, but misplaced. Out of all of the Ministry Mares, I deserve your respect the least,” said Rarity.

Silent Cry raised an eyebrow.

“I know your Ministry was responsible for keeping the war going as long as it did, but of all the Ministry Mares I was under the impression that you would have the least to regret. After all, you were actively fighting against what your own Ministry was doing to an extent,” admitted Silent Cry.

Rarity sighed.

“Perhaps, but it also means I am the one whose actions were the most deplorable. As I’m sure you are aware, there is far more to guilt and responsibility than simply the actions one has taken. Awareness of how wrong the action is plays a large factor as well,” said Rarity.

Silent Cry nodded in agreement.

“When I first became the Ministry Mare, I was ecstatic. I hated the war, and as it had dragged on I had grown fearful that it would deliver terrible scars not only on our citizens, but on the very soul of our nation. I now had a chance to make a difference. To ensure that the beauty of Equestria would not be consumed in the flames of war. And with my talents, I decided that I would do so though images and appearances. Hence, the Ministry of Image.”

“At first I figured it would amount to several posters, some inspirational lyrics, and maybe a public appearance or two to motivate ponies to support the cause. I’d paint the war as something worthy and honorable for a year or two, and then once it was over I’d focus my new power on fixing everything back up to the way it had been before the whole mess. But as you know, it didn’t end that quickly. I found myself losing grasp on ponies as the war dragged on.”

“It became apparent I would have to do more to keep the war going. I couldn’t just let it end like that. Everything we had sacrificed in this war would have been for nothing. So, with much regret, I turned to censoring. Oh, I told myself it was just going to be little white lies. It it would only only be for the few months left in the war. As soon as it was over, I would expose it all for the horrible lying propaganda that it was. But it never ended.”

“I hid news of minor defeats and Zebra advances. I confiscated books and knowledge that could result in zebra sympathizers. I gave every waking hour of my time coming up with new ways to inspire ponies as the old ones were ignored. And I hated every moment of it. Every day I arrived at my office miserable, and left for home feeling worse. And it just kept going. I had to start burning books there was so much I had to hide. Thank goodness Twilight hated the destruction of books as much as I and arranged to save as many as she could. Although, if she hadn’t I might have been forced to outright refuse to continue what I was doing.”

“It is so easy for the desperate to excuse their actions. For the greater good, because it has to be done, and so on. All of us were guilty of clinging to such things. All the lines we were crossing, all the horrors we were unleashing, all of it was necessary because of the war. That stupid, stupid war. All of us realized it, but we pressed on all the same, because we convinced ourselves we had no choice.”

“But that’s not all I regret. Oh no. The censorship was just my careless hooves’ contribution to the war. While we all hated our actions, I was the only one who realized that I was likely causing more harm than good, and I continued to do it all the same,” said Rarity.

The room was quiet for a moment, before Silent Cry spoke up.

“I think I understand what you're saying. All your friends found it easier to cling to those excuses because they found something about their work that they genuinely believed in. Twilight Sparkle and Pinkie Pie were doing what they did best. Applejack and Rainbow Dash were giving everything they had. And Fluttershy...” Silent Cry trailed off.

“Precisely. All of us knew we were making mistakes, even if we chose not to acknowledge it, but I was the only who realized just how much harm I was causing. I saw how I was forcing a war-weary nation to continue fighting. I saw how ponies began to whisper about corruption in our government because of my censorship. I noticed it all, but I would not be deterred. Too much had been put into the war for me to stop. That I saw the horrors I was causing, yet continued to do them all the same, makes me the most monstrous of all the Ministry Mares.” said Rarity.

“But that doesn’t sound fair. Do you really believe that your friends were unable to see the harm they were causing? That you were the only one to recognize what effect your actions were having on the war? What makes you think that was the case?” asked Silent Cry.

“Because I was the only one who recognized while I was still alive that we shouldn’t have let ourselves drift so far apart,” said Rarity.

Silent Cry blinked in surprise.

“The Ministries were a mistake. There is not a pony alive or dead who cannot see that now. While they enabled us to use our talents to their fullest for the war, our individual talents were not what was needed. Whenever I look back at not only my own failures, but those of my friends as well, it brings me such shame to acknowledge how many of our mistakes we could have avoided if we had simply stuck together.”

“Would I have needed to resort for censorship if I had Pinkie helping my work be more inspiring? Would Twilight have considered creating more Alicorns if she had the reassurance of her friends by her side? Would Pinkie have turned to drugs if Twilight had been there to help organize her information? Would Applejack have trusted her Ministry ponies so blindly if I was there to offer my business sense? And would Fluttershy have done what she did if even one of us had been there to remind her that the zebras were just as committed to the war as we were?”

“My greatest regret is that I realized what the war was doing to our friendship, yet I didn’t try to pull us back together,” confessed Rarity.

“But you did try,” objected Silent Cry, gesturing toward the statue in her hooves.

“Yes, I arranged a series of mementos to remind everypony why we were friends. But it wasn’t enough. It was far too little, too late. In the end, our commitment to our Ministries took priority over our friendship. I saw what had to be done, but I dismissed it as something that could wait until the war was over for too long, and when I finally acted it no longer mattered. If I had just put more effort into pulling us back together sooner instead of picking poster colors, Equestria might still be standing,” said Rarity.

Silent Cry let out a sigh and looked down at the tiny figure in front of her.

Be Unwavering

...

...

“You know, I think you’ve missed the point of what I was saying,” said Silent Cry.

“Oh?” questioned Rarity in surprise.

“Yes, you failed. But how many ponies who had a hoof in the end of the war can say they realized what had to be done, and then tried to make things better? You said it yourself: responsibility is more than just the actions taken. You had your very soul torn apart in an attempt to reignite your friendship with your friends. If that can’t be considered giving everything you have to try to fix things, then the virtue of generosity is utterly unobtainable,” declared Silent Cry.

Rarity blinked. Her expression jumped through various shades of surprise, realization, and remorse. Then she giggled.

“I can’t make you find peace with your mistakes. Only you can do that. All I can do is remind you that a pony’s worth is not decided by a single choice. It might be your biggest mistake, but it’s not the decision that defines you as a pony, and your destiny in paradise proves it,” said Silent Cry.

Rarity smiled.

“You know, I believe Rainbow Dash was right about you. When you two meet all those years ago, you had promise. But now you really do have the marking of a skilled psychiatrist,” she said.

Silent Cry rolled her eyes.

“Oh please. Being a problem solver for a decade doesn’t make you a doctor,” said Silent Cry.

“It certainly makes you more than what your home claimed you would amount to. Word has gotten around about your unfortunate upbringing, you know. You possess far more talent than you give yourself credit for,” chided Rarity.

Silent Cry sighed.

“I thought I made it clear to the dead by now I don’t want to talk about my childhood,” she grumbled.

“I can’t make you find peace with your life. Only you can do that. All I can do is remind you that a pony’s worth is not decided by how they got their cutie mark,” Rarity echoed.

Silent Cry snorted and tugged at her cloak, but refused to comment.

“At any rate, I enjoyed our conversation. But now comes the question of what you will do with my statue. The magic that binds my soul to it is not something that can be easily dispelled,” said Rarity.

Silent Cry sighed.

“I figured as much. Am I right to assume from your size that your soul isn’t strong enough to freely wander the wastes?” asked Silent Cry.

“Sadly, no. While the part of my soul that was never bound in a soul jar is free, it can not venture far from my statuettes. I’ve had to rely on my friends to keep up with recent events that I am unable to witness myself,” sighed Rarity.

“I’m sorry to hear that,” said Silent Cry.

“Oh, it’s not all bad. I’ve since discovered a way to lend a small amount of my strength to those who hold me in their hooves. It’s not much, but if my power can help the ponies who are striving to fix the world in some small way, I will gladly remain bound to the mortal realm as I am for as long as I must,” said Rarity.

“I see. Your own way of repenting for your misdeeds?” asked Silent Cry.

“Precisely. I will find my peace when the time is right. But what of you? Would you care for my assistance?” asked Rarity.

Silent Cry sighed.

“I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t interested, but I don’t think I should. I’ve survived these last eleven years in the Equestrian Wasteland because my abilities enable me to avoid problems. Meanwhile, I hear stories on the radio every day about heroes who wander the wastes, daring to defy everything wrong with the world. They would get far more out of this gift than me,” she said.

“A noble gesture, except for the fact that you have no way of ensuring my figurine arrives into the possession of one such pony,” Rarity pointed out.

“Maybe so, but it’s not as if your power is offered to anypony who picks one up. I imagine you can suppress it from ponies who inflict pain and suffering on others in the wasteland. And as long as there’s a chance that somepony else may get some use out of it, I’d say it’s worth passing on,” said Silent Cry.

Rarity nodded.

“I can hardly object to an act of Generosity. Well then, I shall still assist you until such a time occurs and... Oh. Would you excuse me for a moment, darling? Somepony new just picked up one of my Twilight figurines and I need to appraise them. I’ll speak to you again later,” said Rarity, before her small form faded away.

“Alright, see you then,” said Silent Cry as she slipped the figure of Rarity into her saddlebag.

As she did so, her vision catched a glance at her cutie mark: a halo over a tombstone.

The memory faded.

Author's Note:

Achievement Unlocked: Only 42 Exist

Acquire a Ministry Mare statuette.