• Published 6th May 2017
  • 640 Views, 50 Comments

H.E.R.D. - Time Code



Being foal-napped by armed thug wasn't a good start to Scootaloo's day. Neither was being flown to a topical island in the middle of nowhere against her. All of this, just to offer her a free education? Scootaloo's not buying it.

  • ...
1
 50
 640

Any Questions?

“Ai have a question, Mrs.” Apple Bloom’s curious voice broke the growing silence of the room.

“Why can’t we talk to people outside this place?” Scootaloo glanced at Apple Bloom cautiously. The secrecy side of a villain's school seemed obvious. Where was she going with this?

“My dear girl, surely you can understand the need for secrecy at a villainy school? We have had… incidents in the past that have been directly caused by unnecessary security breaches. The most effective solution has been to limit communication to only the most vital of circumstances. This way no one on the island can reveal the H.E.R.D.’s location, intentionally or not.” That made sense to Scootaloo. Any sort of long range communication spell could probably be easily traced back here by a half decent diviner.

“So we’re ya prisoners?” Apple Bloom’s deadpan response made Scootaloo winch. That was a perspective she hadn’t thought of yet. Scootaloo really didn’t like thinking of this place that way. Neither, it seemed, did the Contessa; her smile faltering slightly.

“Prisoner is a harsh word, young apple. You’re are our students and our wards. These measures are to make sure you are properly protected.”

“What about our families?” Apple Bloom pressed, a hardened focus in her eyes and voice. “Ain’t they going to wonder where we’ve gone?”

“Your parents or guardians are aware of your situation, if not your location. You have all been brought here with their permission.” That proclamation from the Contessa brought about a round of mutterings and shocked looks. Scootaloo was as surprised as the rest of them. Did they ask for permission? From the orphanage? A sad scowl spread across Scootaloo’s face. The orphanage had finally kicked her out it seemed.

“Can we talk to them? Our parents? Mah Sister?” So that's what this question was about. Scootaloo’s scowl morphed into a look of pity. That reflexive country-ism had given Applebloom's game away.

“No. As has already been explained multiple time now, no communication is allowed between students and the outside world. Seeing as your families are outside of this facility, communication with them is also not allowed.” That was blunt. Harsh even. The Contessa was clearly starting to get annoyed by this line of questioning.

“So how do we know our families actually know that we're here?!” Rather than backing down at the terse response, Apple Bloom had doubled down, an angry glare in her eye. “How do we know you ain’t lyin’?” The Contessa sighed a deep sigh, before looking directly at Apple Bloom.

“You are an inquisitive one,
Young filly with a bow,
But that is information,
You do not need to know.”

As the Contessa spoke, her tone shifted melodically, as if it were a separate instrument, accompanying her words, which were softly sung to an unknown tune. For a second, Scootaloo could have sworn she heard a choir of other voices joining in. Turning to see Apple Bloom’s reaction, Scootaloo was surprised to see her new friend sitting there with a glazed look in her eyes, mouth wide open. The glaze faded only to be placed with a look of total confusion.

“No, Contessa. Ah do not need to know that.” Apple Bloom’s word came out so distant and regulated, Scootaloo would have almost thought it was someone else sitting next to her.

“Good. Anyone else?” The Contessa looked around the table again. Apple Bloom’s silence was shocking to Scootaloo. She may not have known the yellow filly for very long, but she knew a fighter when she saw one. This reaction, to essentially being told to ‘shut up’, was strange. Also, there was sudden random singing. That wasn’t normal…

Well, the short burst wasn’t normal at least. Time to do some digging.

“I got one for you!” Scootaloo called out. The Contessa turn to her, a thin smile on her face.

“What would you like to know Miss?”

“Name’s Scootaloo.” The excited filly flashed the Contessa a confident grin. The Contessa nodded for Scootaloo to continue. “Are we allowed to leave the Island? Like, can we go practise this stuff on real ponies?” The Contessa’s smile turned flat.

“There are the occasional field trips, but those are quite infrequent. Dr Shimmer does also allow for older students to briefly leave the island occasionally, provided there’s a good enough reason.” The Contessa’s clipped tone and direct answer were a warning against further questions of this nature.

“Has anypony ever just gone off on their own? Left the H.E.R.D. and done their own thing?” A warning Scootaloo completely ignored as she pressed the Contessa for more information.

“Such a thing would be truancy, young lady.” The Contessa snap out, anger clear in her voice. “And we have a grim view when it comes to truancy,” Scootaloo smirked subtly.

“That didn’t answer the question though. Has anypony...”

.”A suspicious line of questions,
You do ask, Miss Scootaloo,
But I can not answer them,
So that will have to do.

The Contessa’s operatic voice cut through Scootaloo’s suddenly, Her tone lyrical, the sound backed softly by a million other voices. That will have to do? Not likely! There were so many other questions to ask! Scootaloo opened her mouth, determining to continue the interrogation…

“…”

“…”

What had happened to her questions? She remembered planning them. She remembered what each question was for but… No. She just couldn’t remember the questions themselves. Scootaloo glanced over at Apple Bloom, the yellow filly still looking pale and confused. Is this what had happened to her? That part of her thoughts had been changed? Removed?

“Anyone else?” The Contessa glanced at the other foals again, a steely look in her eyes. A shiver ran down Scootaloo’s spin. The Contessa was not one to be trifled with recklessly. That much was obvious now. A pink filly with a purple and white mane hesitantly put her hoof up. As the foals turned to look have her, Apple Bloom let out a surprised gasp.The Contessa nodded for the filly to speak.

“Do we have to wear those jumpsuit things like those foal in the… whatever that thing was.” The pink filly pointed towards the centre of the table as she spoke; the disdain in her voice at the jumpsuits being pretty clear.

“In the hologram? Yes, all students do wear them. That is the point of a uniform.” The Contessa seemed to relax a bit, the more normal question being easier to handle. “There are minor differences that denote your year group and stream, but otherwise they are identical; outside of personal adjustments anyway. Not that many stores out here to keep up with fashion.” The filly scowled and slouched in her seat, forelegs crossed. “Anymore?”

“Oooh. Ooh Ooh Ooh. I’ve got one.” A white unicorn filly called out, waving her hoof in the air.

“Yes?” The Contessa responded in a tone somewhere between annoyance and amusement.

“What’s a stream? You keep mentioning it like we should know what it is?” That was a good question. A very good question. A question that suddenly felt familiar to Scootaloo. That was one she had planned to ask!

“Yes, the streams. You see, the school is split into different types of training courses that specialise in training different things. We call these courses 'Streams'. You lot are all from the Alpha Stream. Your training will focus on strategy and leadership. We also have Henchpony, Technical, and Political-Finance streams. Many of the classes are universal, but there are some that are restricted to certain Streams. You can tell what stream a pony is from by the colour of their suit: black for the Alphas, that's you; blue for the Henchponies; white for the Technicals, and grey for the Political-Financiers. You’ll get used to it after a few weeks. Oh, and the guard are in orange jumpsuits.” Another hoof went up, this time belonging to a brown colt, with a propeller beanie on his head.

“How evil is evil?” The was a pregnant silence as the Contessa processes the colt’s question.

“I’m sorry, could you repeat that one, my dear?”

“How evil is evil?” The colt repeated, his voice laced with curiosity. “Are we talking money laundering and drugs kind of evil, or the doomsday ray ransom kind of evil? Also when’s lunch?” The Contessa just stared at the colt, as did everyone else. Eventually, the Contessa just closed her eyes and sighed.

“Are you related to Hash Table by any chance?” Now it was the colt’s turn to be confused.

“Yeah. He’s my father. You know him?” That just made the Contessa groan.

“Yes. He was a student here, and a pain in the...” The Contessa sigh again. “To answer your first Question, that depends on you I guess, and what you want to achieve during your career. Some of our students do go on to work as drug barons, both minor and major. The more ambitious have created improbable innovations to further their personal agendas, sometimes to the detriment of others. As to which brand of villainy is more preferable, you should ask Dr Shimmer. She is more familiar with villainous philosophy that I am.” A new question sprung up in Scootaloo’s mind at this response, but as she opened her mouth to ask it, the question vanished from her mind, much to Scootaloo’s annoyance. Luckily the white furred filly from earlier asked it instead.

“What do you believe then, Contessa?” The orange mare turned to look at the filly. For a split second, the mare seemed visibly sag, like she had aged a thousand years in a second, a far off look in her eyes.

“Villainy is the art of survival, no matter the personal cost.” The mare started slightly, before turning to the brown colt. “To answer your other question, Mr?” The mare had returned to her previous demeanour as if the white filly had never asked her question.

“Button Mash.” Replied the now named Button Mash.

“Mr Mash. You will join the rest of the students for lunch in about an hour. Before that you will be provided with your new uniforms, and after lunch you will have an introductory tour of the facility.” Button Mash gave the Contessa a small nod, although Scootaloo thought she heard a slight rumble come from his direction. The uncomfortable expression made his reasoning for the lunch question pretty clear. Now that she thought about it, Scootaloo was also pretty hungry. How long had it been since she was knocked out? Maybe Button Mash was onto something with that question after all.

“Anyway, that’s enough questions for now. We really should get you all those uniforms. Please follow me to the quartermaster.” That last sentence had a slightly melodic tone to it, Scootaloo noticed. As the group of foals started to move towards the doorway, Scootaloo realised that some of her previous questions were starting to return to her. More importantly, she was able to remember them. Whatever the Contessa had down to her was starting to fade. Looking at Applebloom, Scootaloo saw the filly rubbing a hoof against her forehead.

“What in Celestia’s name was that?” The yellow filly asked, only partially rhetorically. “It was like ah suddenly didn’t care about where I was or what was going on.” Applebloom look down forlornly, “or about seeing mah family.”

“I guess she doesn’t like questions. Maybe you should keep your head down for a bit.” Concern spread across the yellow filly’s face.

“What about you?” Scootaloo just grinned.

“There is more that one way to be stealthy.”

“Come along you two!” the Contessa called to them from the door. “You look a little confused. Is this all a bit overwhelming for you?” Despite her sympathetic tone of voice, the Contessa's eyes were more curious that caring.

“More Applebloom that me, Mam.” Scootaloo’s wide grin was contrasted by her own curious gaze, the two lock their eyes on each other. “You literally took the words right out of her mouth.” The Contessa gaze hardened. Her voice became melodious and sinister, barely a decibel about the background whispers that accompanied it.

I can do so much worse than that, young ones.
So much much worse.

With that the Contessa turn away, walking out the door.

“Come along children. So much to do, and never enough time to do it in.” Her voice had returned to its normal state. Applebloom glared at Scootaloo.

“How is that being subtle?!” The whispered indignation clear in the country filly’s voice. A smirk appeared on Scootaloo’s face.

“In that she thinks she knows what cards we have.” At the confused expression on Apple Bloom's face Scootaloo continued. “The Contessa let more slip there than she thought. A lot more actually.” Scootaloo started to walk towards the door herself.

“For instance, how did she know you were an apple?”

Author's Note:

Longest chapter so far! I doubt this is the last time I say that. :twilightblush:

My thanks to 'APonyReadingFanfics' for their question about how evil the students need to be. I was going to give it to a throw away character, but it felt like the perfect question to introduce Button Mash with. :twilightsmile:

As for 'Hash Table' as Button's Father, considering the pong game, and Button's own love of games, I figured he was probably a tech geek of some kind. Also Hash and Mash are both potato based foods... :rainbowhuh:

It makes sense!!! :flutterrage:

...

And now I'm talking to my self. Great. :facehoof:
I'm going to go grab some sleep. :ajsleepy: