• Published 5th May 2017
  • 528 Views, 14 Comments

Midnight Rangers! - mentalshock



A young thestral mare ran away into a nearby forest trying to get away from the town bullies. Her and her friends find some interesting items in the rubble of a "temple."

  • ...
4
 14
 528

Episode two: In Perspective

A shock-wave grabbed the attention of the citizens of the Crystal Empire as a large white cylindrical spike broke apart the ruined temple, and rose out of the snow. On top and slowly sliding of were the town bullies named Trick and Bonezie. They fell of the edge into the snow with a few broken bones in their one of their arms and a leg.

"Bonezie that is the LAST time I let you come up with an idea." The larger 'big boned' stallion groaned holding his broken arm.

"F-Fair enough Trick, fair e-enough," Bonezie winced as he stood on his busted up leg. "If not an i-idea than maybe a guess?"

"And what guess would that be?" Trick asked his much thinner partner in bullying.

"I g-guess we should see a doctor." The talking toothpick said helping his friend up as best he could.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The sound of things turning on, and the roar of mighty engines caused the group to instantly panic. Gold Heart was the first to check the terminal his sister had propped herself on.

"Sis, this isn't some magic relic barely holding itself together. It's an ancient rocket that won't fall apart any time soon like in those stories." Gold shouted over the engines. The terminal glowed blue once Flicker got off of it.

"Looks like we're in something called a steady orbit." Scroll stated over a pink terminal

"Something called artificial gravity has been activated." Silver said from above at a black terminal.

To the left of her at a yellow terminal Steel told them, "Everything looks locked down."

The area of no gravity dissipated as a red terminal enters through an elevator. Flicker walked up a set of floating steps up to it cautiously. They was greeted with an image of Equis spinning in front of them. On her terminal was a 'Star Map'. "That isn't right." She double tapped the text box next to a 3D model of their planet. What was once PL-359-04 was replaced by a blank space. She typed E-Q-U-I-S into the space. She smiled at this albeit small edit. She rested a hand on the side while flipping open her phone. Flicker called her parents as a satellite passed by them.

"Flicker is everything alright? Are you, your brother, and your friends okay?"

"Yes mom we're okay... I think," Flicker said looking around, "We aren't hurt at least."

"Where are you right now?" Her mom asked straining the importance of the question.

"Well you aren't going to believe me, but high orbit." Flicker responded.

"High... orbit?"

"Yeah."

"How?"

"Alien Rocket from Lyra's stories of Humans."

"Where did you find it?"

"It was the ruined temple in the snow."

"You're right I don't believe you." Her mom stated rather annoyed at what she thought was a lie.

"I can send you proof." She snapped a picture of the view screen sending it via text. Her mom didn't call her back. Flicker just laughed to herself as if she had won a war. She set the phone on the terminal, and sat on what she guessed was a chair based on the shape. Once her flanks made contact with the seat it dropped. Based on the screams so did her friends. Each landing on their their respective flanks before a massive screen. Once they had stood up the screen became active by scanning the ponies present. After the scanner shutdown the screen lit up with the face of white stallion.

"Why have you activated my shuttle?" The stallion asked

"It was an accident. I fell from the entrance into the center. My brother and friends came to help me, but I had slid my hand across a screen. After that we were in the realm between realms." Flicker stated as she stood between the ponies and the screen.

"Flicker was it? You show the mark of an excellent leader. Ready to defend your friends, but also able to listen to what others say," A red light came of the screen and hovered above the bat mare, "Gold Heart is your name if I'm not mistaken. An intelligent and quick-witted fellow," The same happened with a blue light over the changeling, "Scroll Seal, a creative magic weaver a spell craftsman," A pink light came over the stallion, "Silver, willing to learn and of two races filled with the strongest magic know to this planet," A black light appeared over the filly, "Steel, strongest pony in you country, and yet the second most gentile," A yellow light lit above him.

"How do you know us?" Flicker asked as the lights floated down in front of them.

"Because I have been testing you to the best of my ability. Influencing animals, ponies, and the weather all to see if you were the ponies that I was searching for. Unfortunately I was forced to power myself and this shuttle down to keep one of the worst evils off planet before I could reveal myself to you." A console under the stallion's screen glowed purple. "Damn it they've found us again. Quickly grab the lights they are my energy concentrated so that you will be able to absorb it and wield it as weapons against this threat."

The ponies in the room look at each other, and with a nod grabbed the lights with their dominant hands. Three right arms and two left arms retracted with new watches of their respective colors. They looked over the watches amazed, amused, and confused. "Now what?" they said at roughly the same time.

"These items are voice activated as to keep them from being used in the wrong hands. Simply state 'It's Morphin' Time' to activate the energy within, and a costume of my own design will cover your identities from prying eyes.

The five of them stand at attention before placing their dominant arm horizontally in front of themselves shouting, "It's Morphin' Time!"
The watches flip open from the center with a high pitched 'DEE, DO-DO' sound effect. A lens projects the image of the costumes before shifting their clothes to match the images. They pat themselves down getting used to the costumes. Flicker noted the colors were actually darker than their morphers.

"Your are now the Midnight Rangers. On top of the energy that I have given you; you can tap into the powers and abilities of Nightmare moon." He looks up for a moment. "Rangers a monster has touched down in a town called Ponyville. I can transport you there, but the fight is your own. Good luck Ranger!" With that the Ranger gave a salute as they were teleported to the town.