• Published 2nd May 2017
  • 13,465 Views, 821 Comments

Man Cannot Live On Coffee Alone - PropMaster



Jake and Rarity escape from the boring high tea, go out for coffee at Doughnut Joe's, and find brief solace from nosy nobles and boring conversations. Can Jake match wits with Miss Rarity?—No, probably not. - Sequel to "Man Cannot Live On Tea Alone

  • ...
35
 821
 13,465

5b: Coffee Alone

I let out a yawn, stretching before sinking deeper into my jacket. The morning was cold, and I was exhausted after completing a night shift. The shift change had already passed, and Sapphire Spirit walked beside me, her head a bit low as she worked on waking up. She shook her head, causing her helmet to shift awkwardly, and I reached down and settled the heavy armor piece back into place. She smiled sleepily up at me. "Thanks, Jake."

"Mmhm," I hummed, my mind barely functioning. I needed Joe's best egg scramble and the darkest, richest cup of coffee he could manage. It had been a busy couple of days since my discussion with Princess Celestia. Sapphire, Dusky, and Luna had done me a favor by keeping me occupied through the whole ordeal, keeping my mind elsewhere. Between helping Sapphire work on maintaining her armor, Dusky teaching me little bits of the sarosian language, and working through a backlog of letters to Princess Luna for her, my mind had been too focused on other things to dwell on the failings of my friendship with Rarity. The hurt was always there, in the back of my mind, but it had grown dull with exhaustion.

I knew there were better ways to deal with the problem, but at the moment, not dealing was fine enough. I wanted a little space, and I had gotten it... but now, as the day wound down, it returned to the forefront of my mind. I didn't really know how to feel about everything. Rarity had lied to me, and it stung to think that she wouldn't tell me about what was, apparently, a pretty significant piece of her life. She and her friends were essentially superheroes, fighting evil and spreading friendship, and her reasons for saying nothing were... what? It didn't make sense to leave me in the dark, especially when she was about to do something dangerous. I sighed, looking down towards my feet, and felt a gentle nudge from Sapphire as she trotted next to me as she bumped her hip into my thigh. "You're getting moody again, Jake," she said, smirking up at me.

"Yeah, sorry. I just can't get my mind off of everything. You've been awesome, though, Sapphire," I said, smiling at her.

"Awesome? I thought I'd been working you hard!" Sapphire said, playing coy, though her growing grin told me she knew that her intent was clear.

"Don't pretend you don't know. I appreciate it. Really. You're a true friend," I said, winking at her.

Sapphire giggled, her wings fluffing out a bit with pride. "Yeah, we ponies are pretty good at the 'friendship' thing." I gave her a look, and she snorted. "Well, most of the time. Your situation is not normal, I swear."

"Nothing about my situation has ever been normal," I said with a sigh. We turned the corner and arrived in front of the diner, walking past the windows. I froze on the spot as I looked through the window to my regular table, feeling like cold water had been dumped on my head. Rarity was sitting there, with Twilight and Spike. Her blue eyes widened a bit as they met mine, and she turned to say something to Twilight and Spike, who looked up at me as well. I quickly turned around, only to be confronted by Sapphire.

"What?" she said, glancing around me to look through the window. "Oh," she amended, immediately spotting the issue, and looked back to me with a frown. "Well, it's a canny spot for an ambush, I'll give her that."

"I don't like ambushes," I muttered, moving to leave. There were other places to get coffee.

Sapphire held up a hoof, stopping me. "Hold on. Don't you think this is a great opportunity?"

"No, not really. Why, what do you think walking in there will accomplish?" I asked.

"You could talk and get this settled. This fight needs to get resolved, and I'll be honest: you've been miserable since everything happened in Ponyville. You either need to make up, or get closure, and you're only getting that by going and talking to Rarity, Twilight, and Spike," Sapphire said.

I sighed, shaking my head. "I don't know. I wanted to talk to her... to all of them, but this wasn't how I was planning on doing it. I'm exhausted, Sapphire."

Sapphire pointed behind me. "She is, too. Look at her, Jake. Really look."

I somewhat reluctantly turned to look back through the window of the diner, and my eyes met Rarity's once more. I tore my gaze from hers, noting the messy state of her coat, the loose curls in her mane and tail, and the slightly smudged makeup. She was a bit of a mess, and her ears drooped as she noticed me noticing. I closed my eyes, exhaling a long, hot breath filled with the anger I had been holding close. I nodded to Sapphire. "Okay."

"All right. I've got your back, Jake. No matter what," Sapphire said, her tone soft as she spread her wings open a bit.

The statement, though simple, bolstered me, and I walked towards the front doors, Sapphire at my side. We stepped into the cafe and were hit with the scent of fried food and strong brewing coffee. Margarine spotted me and trotted over, tossing me a cheeky grin on her way over. "Quite the harem you've assembled, mister. Still looking for a few good mares?" Marge said with an overly-saucy wink.

I smirked, despite the dark mood hanging over me. "Yeah, I need a gal that can make a strong pot of the darkest roast she's got, and a mountain of eggs. Know anypony?"

"Oh, I have one in mind," She said, turning and heading for the kitchen. "Seat yourself, hun!" she called over her shoulder as she went to put in my order.

"And some hayfries, please!" called Sapphire hopefully after her.

"I'll give 'em wings!" Marge replied as she disappeared through the doors to the kitchen.

Sapphire grinned happily, and I stood for a moment, allowing the ambiance of Joe's to sink in. I felt some of the tension bleed away simply by being in this place, and it gave me the last push I needed to stroll over to my usual table. Twilight, Spike, and Rarity sat together on one side of the table, Rarity having shifted herself to be beside her friends and make room for Sapphire and I. I stared at the three of them for a long moment, trying to figure out how to start. Sapphire, in the meantime, hopped up into a seat across from Twilight with a total lack of concern for the moment, sitting down with a happy sigh and taking off her helmet. The glamour on her coat and mane dissipated immediately, and she shook out her mane with a toss of her head. We all watched her, and I arched an eyebrow. She looked up at everyone, blinking owlishly. "What?"

I shook my head at her and spoke up. "Mind if we join you?"

"We were hoping you would," Twilight said, gesturing to the other open spot across the table from them. She smiled, but it was a bit strained. Rarity watched me intently, her eyes glancing from me, to Sapphire, to Spike and Twilight. Spike, for his part, sat quietly between Rarity and Twilight, his gaze fixed firmly on his lap.

I paused, watching Spike for a moment and feeling my heart sink a bit. I'd definitely damaged whatever relationship I'd briefly developed with him, perhaps irreparably, and I knew that he was the first person I wanted to talk to. "Thanks," I replied, sitting down. The seat put me firmly in front of Rarity, who gave me a small, careful smile. I returned it with a slow nod, and focused my attention on Twilight. "Princess, I—"

"Twilight, Jake. Please. This is a discussion between friends, not of subject and royalty. I hope that you feel that way, still, even after what happened," Twilight said, interrupting me.

"I don't know how to feel about all of that, really, with a few exceptions... Twilight," I said, speaking slowly and firmly. "I know that I did somebody here very, very wrong, and... well, I want to talk to Spike, first, if he's okay with that."

Spike looked up at me, his eyes widening a bit. "O-oh."

"Hey," I managed, swallowing hard. What could I say to him? "... I don't believe in 'sorry'. I don't think it fixes anything. It's just a stupid thing that people say when they don't think there's anything else to do or say, and it's rarely true. So, I'm not going to say sorry to you, Spike..." Spike looked up at me, confused, his eyes narrowing a bit. Twilight visibly bristled at my declaration, but I continued on doggedly. "What I will do is promise to do anything I can to make what I did to you right. Anything you want, or think, or whatever. You have my word."

Spike's eyes widened further at this, and spoke quietly. "Anything?"

"Anything. You don't have to decide now. You can ask whenever you like. So, you have that, and a promise that I won't ever, ever do that to you again. Threaten you, or... get scary like that. That's a part of me that I'm working to get rid of, and it came back because I was...angry, and scared. Does that make sense?" I asked, hoping he understood.

"Um... yeah. I guess. I mean, we've all done dumb stuff when we were mad, or scared. I know I have," Spike said, looking up at me and smiling slightly.

"Yeah," I said, nodding in agreement. "You don't have to forgive me, or anything like that. I'd honestly prefer you didn't, if it's all the same to you. I need to remember why I'm trying to change. Okay?"

"Well... okay. Yeah. I'll think about it, anyway." Spike agreed hesitantly.

I exhaled slowly. Twilight gently prodded Spike with one hoof. "Do you have anything you want to say to Jake, Spike?" she asked him.

"Well, yeah." Spike swallowed, looking up at me again and drawing in a deep breath. He closed his eyes as he started speaking. "You really scared me, and it really hurt. I've only ever been really scared by bad stuff... bad ponies, or monsters, and you... well. I wanted to be friends... but I might wait to get to know you and trust you again before we call each other that."

His declaration was like a punch to the gut, and I took a deep breath in before speaking. "Okay. That's more than fair. And I'll do whatever you think is right to earn that trust back. Fair?"

"Yeah," Spike said, nodding, and peeking open one eye to look up at me. "You're... not mad?"

My gaze softened. "No."

"O-oh. Well... good." Spike squirmed in his seat, and spoke up again. "Also, I'm sorry for lying to you."

"You're not the one that should be apologizing for that," Rarity spoke up, placing a hoof gently on his back.

I turned to her, frowning. "Yes, you're more than forgiven for that, Spike," I said to the little dragon, even though my focus had already shifted away from him.

"Jake," Rarity began, reaching up one hoof absentmindedly to brush it through her mussed mane. "I... don't even know where to begin."

"I have thoughts," I muttered.

Twilight interrupted me quickly, her voice sharply cutting me off. "Hold on, now. She's trying to sort it out, Jake. Don't bite her head off. We've been going through everything that happened, and Princess Celestia and I had a long conversation with her about her lies of omission. She's explained herself to me, and you'll get to hear it for yourself... but it's my turn to talk."

Rarity and I both faced Twilight, and she reached one wing out and brought Spike in close to her side with it. "You threatened Spike. Even if you've told him you'll make it right, you and I need to have a talk, too. I'm the closest thing he has to a big sister or mother in this world, and I'm responsible for him and his well-being, which you damaged with your... outburst!" Twilight placed both hooves on the table, leaning forward. "You also were rude to my friends, and—Rarity excepted—they didn't do anything to deserve that kind of treatment," Twilight added. "So, before you and Rarity get this mess figured out, you have to promise that you'll be returning to Ponyville in the next few days to apologize to them... or make it right, or whatever you need to do. They all want to give you a chance to explain yourself and make it up to them, if you are willing."

I leaned back a little, surprised by the force in Twilight's voice. "Yes, of course." I'd planned on doing that, anyway.

"Also, all that talk about apologies being empty... I don't know where you learned that, but it's wrong. If you are sincere, then it's the best first step anypony can make towards making things right. I think this is a perfect opportunity for you to learn that saying you're sorry can be a genuine expression. You know what you can do for me to make things right?" Twilight placed one hoof on top of Spike's head gently. "You can apologize to Spike."

I paused, taken aback by her request. "... If you think it will help."

Twilight frowned. "This is a piece of your old life that you need to let go. We're sincere in the things we say, here in Equestria. We're not just seeking to lie or speak empty words. I know that you probably received many empty apologies with no action behind them in your life before now, but all three of us are here to show you that this will be different. That we are different."

I considered her words for a few long moments, before nodding slightly. "All right... I trust you, Twilight." I focused my attention to Spike. "Spike, I'm sorry that I didn't tell you this earlier, but I am very sorry for how I acted. And my offer still stands: Anything you need me to do to make it right, and I'll do it."

Spike smiled at me in a much more genuine way. "Thanks, Jake... it means a lot to hear you apologize."

"Good!" Twilight said, snorting once in anger, before she inhaled and blew out a long breath. "Good," she said again, but more gently. "Thank you."

We were all quiet again, and Marge took the moment to swoop in with a mug of coffee and a plate of eggs for me, and a basket of hayfries for Sapphire. She topped off the coffee with a smile on her face, but said nothing. I had too much in my head to do more than give her a nod of thanks as I took a sip of the coffee. I barely tasted it, but the effect was instantaneous, bringing my mind a bit of clarity from the fog. I began picking at my eggs, not really feeling hungry, but it gave me something to do with my hands.

Twilight cleared her throat. "I've said my piece, and as long as you're planning on coming to Ponyville, then I feel like we can really put this behind us... except for this last bit." Twilight closed her eyes, collecting her thoughts, before she looked at me and her ears drooped back. "I feel partially responsible for what happened in Ponyville the other day. I know I mentioned my friends, and that we were close, but it just never occurred to me that we'd need to discuss things like how we... well... how we're the Elements of Harmony. I don't like to think of ourselves as that, because our friendship and bond goes far beyond just that one aspect, but it's an important aspect. Something that we all deal with in our own way. For some of us, like Applejack, it's no big thing... for others, like Rainbow Dash, it's something she's eager to boast about. Rarity..." Twilight stopped, and looked to her friend at her side.

Rarity inhaled a shaky breath, and then spoke. "Far be it from me to call myself humble in this moment, but I do not speak of it often because... well... being a hero has never done me any favors when it came to personal relationships," Rarity's voice was quiet, apologetic. I frowned, and her ears fell flat in what presumably was embarrassment or sadness. "I have had suitors call on me before, Jake, and often they do so not for who I am, but the power I represent and the connections I possess. I have been led on a few times, only to discover these ulterior motives, and the experiences left me hurting. To be chased by a stallion, to give your heart, only to find that they are less interested in you and more interested in the things you represent?" Rarity sighed, looking down at her hooves that were crossed in front of herself. She drew her forelegs in, almost hugging herself. "The day I met you, I relished the wit and companionship you offered, and knew that there couldn't possibly be any strings attached. It gave me hope that a stallion... a man... could be interested in me for who I am."

"So you lied," I said slowly.

"Yes. I lied because I couldn't bear the idea of you being interested in me for my position, and then I never told the truth because I feared you would be scared away if it came to light that I was more than a popular designer... and then I lied because the lie had gone on for so long, that telling the truth would have damaged our relationship if it was not done with careful explanation and tact." Rarity sighed. "I failed at that quite spectacularly, which perhaps is my just desserts, as t'were."

I shrugged. "So, that's it, then?"

"No, that is certainly not 'it'. It is my explanation, certainly, but I haven't yet begun to apologize for how I acted." Rarity leaned back a bit, seeming to brace herself. "I deceived you, Jake. I omitted the truth at first out of fear, and then continued because I was afraid that the lies had gone on too long to be able to be explained. I had ideas, but when you arrived on the same day that the hydra wandered into Ponyville, I panicked. I completely lost my mind for fear of the truth, and I acted in the vain hope of preserving our friendship... even if that friendship was one built on a lie at the core. It was wrong, disgusting behavior, and I can't hope to say enough to explain the depth of my... self-loathing for how I acted. I haven't been able to sleep, eat, or work since it all fell apart. I've been sick knowing that I failed you as a friend, Jake, and I am truly sorry for it."

I sat quietly, observing her as she spoke, watching for other lies, trying to gauge her and her sincerity. I leaned back as well, looking down at my hands that were clasped together in my lap. My knuckles had gone white from the tension, and I tried to relax a bit, letting out a long breath. Sapphire reached one hoof out and gave me a gentle pat on the knee, reassuring me with her presence, and I shot her a quick look of gratitude. "So, you lied because you'd been burned before by people choosing to chase what you represent. And that led to having to lie more... and so on, until it grew out of control and blew up." I shook my head. "I just... I'm still upset. I hope you don't expect me to just forgive you and move on. You've lost my trust."

Rarity bit her lip. "Of course, and I completely understand." She looked to be on the verge of tears. It hurt me to see her like that—physically causing my stomach to churn—and I realized that my feelings for this mare ran deeper than I'd thought. It helped to clarify some things, and I took a deep breath.

"I'm willing to give you a chance to make things right. After all that you did for me, and how I acted towards your friends, I wouldn't feel right to just leave it at that. They've all given me second chances. Spike gave me the opportunity to make things right, even though he got the worst of my behavior." I swallowed the lump in my throat and clenched my hands against my knees, willing them to stop shaking. I was over-emotional, and it was a struggle not to yell, or cry, or do something to let it all out. I felt out of control, and it was another gentle nudge from Sapphire, her shoulder against mine, that allowed me a bit of a release. I leaned against her for a moment, taking the offered strength. "I have good friends here that want me to find a resolution to this whole mess. I've been miserable, Rarity. It's been hard, and part of why it is hard is that you'd have been the pony I'd have gone to to help deal with this... but what am I supposed to do when the person that's been my best friend is the one that's causing me grief?" I ran a hand through my hair. "It's been shit without you. I'm upset that you're the one that did this, more than anything, because I've needed a friend these last few days, and you were my best friend."

Rarity nodded, tears spilling down her cheeks. I cursed under my breath and stood up. I needed to go. Half of me wanted to overturn the table, and the other half of me wanted to reach across the table and wipe away those tears. "I'll be in Ponyville in a few days. I need some time to calm down. It's still too fresh. I'm sorry." That was all I could manage before I was walking away.

"I'm sorry, too. I'll make it right, Jake," Rarity said behind me, and I turned and looked at her hard. She was still crying, her mane askew, unkempt and beautiful in the same moment. I nodded, and despite myself, I gave her a small smile. She smiled back, wiping at her cheeks with one fetlock that smeared her makeup without care.

I was halfway out the doors before I realized that I'd forgotten to pay, and I turned around to see Sapphire behind me, gesturing for me to go, her bit bag already out. I turned and left, walking the opposite way so I wouldn't have to walk by the window and see Rarity again. So she wouldn't have to see me again. I couldn't bear to see her crying, even if some little piece of me was glad that she was miserable. That little, ugly piece told me it was right, after the pain she'd caused me. I pushed that down and shook my head. "Damn it."

"Whew. That was something!" Sapphire chirped, trying to dissipate the tension a bit as she followed after me. I was moving fast, walking in long strides that made her trot to keep pace.

"Yeah. It was." I stopped in the middle of the street, turning to face her, and I knelt down. "Thanks for being there."

Sapphire smiled at me. "No problem, big guy. I said I'd have your back, no matter what."

"I'm glad I can trust you. I needed that. I don't know what I'd have done without you there, Sapphire." I reached out and put a hand on her shoulder, patting her armored back. "Seriously, thank you." Sapphire stepped forward into me and put an arm around my neck, pulling me into a hug. I was surprised, but it was a welcome comfort, and I returned it gladly. "Thank you," I whispered again. I didn't know when I started crying, but I quickly got it together and stood up, wiping my cheeks. "God damn it. I don't need to be breaking down in the middle of the street."

"You sure say that a lot. Is God, like, the alicorn equivalent where you're from?" Sapphire said, smirking up at me and ignoring my reddened eyes and wet face.

"Something like that, only way less present. I guess it depends on who you ask. He never did anything for me, anyway. It's just an expression," I said, glad for the change of subject.

"So, he's a dude?" Sapphire snorted with amusement. "No wonder he's a crappy alicorn. Mares are way better at that kind of thing." I laughed, and it felt amazing. My voice caught as the release almost made me start crying again and I stopped laughing, struggling with myself, trying to find a center. Sapphire grinned. "Sorry. Maybe not the time for humor?"

"No, it's good." I chuckled, shaking my head. "I mean... yeah... I dunno. There's lots of figures like God where I'm from. Many gods. It's just weird, because here in Equestria, you've got... well, real gods. Or whatever they are. I think Twilight mentioned somebody named Discord in my too-brief education on Equestria."

Sapphire groaned. "Oh, gosh, Discord. Yeah, he's a god, or something like it. He's a bit of an ass, if you ask me, and that's not just because he's part donkey. Also, don't say his name too loud, he likes attention."

I was mostly distracted. "Yeah, sure. I'll be sure not to say his name three times or whatever."

"Why three times?" Sapphire asked, tilting her head.

I paused, wondering how to explain a weird pop-culture reference. "Never mind, I just won't say his name at all."

"Probably for the best," Sapphire said with a nod. "He's bad news. Always messing with ponies."

"Yeah? So, why do Celestia and Luna tolerate him?" I asked, walking at a much slower pace towards the castle.

"Well, they didn't. He was a stone statue for a long time... almost a thousand years. But he broke free, and Princess Twilight and her friends stopped him... and then they reformed him. He's friends with those six, now, and he doesn't mess with ponies much anymore. Supposedly he turned over a new leaf. A few of us think that it's because he's in love with one of them... did you meet Fluttershy the other day?"

I considered the ponies I'd briefly met the other day. "'Meet' is a strong word. Fluttershy is the yellow one with the pink mane, right?"

"Yeah, that's the one. She keeps him in line, I guess. She was the one that really worked to reform him, and she's dealt with all of his tricks. Even after he betrayed Equestria, she still forgave him... and he's never quite been the same since all of that."

I thought back to how the yellow pegasus had cowered behind the others, and was immediately skeptical. "You're sure you're thinking of the right pony?" Then I remembered how she'd yelled at the hydra and made it run away. "... Wait, no, scratch that. I can see it."

Sapphire laughed. "Yep. That's how they are, though. They've dealt with bad ponies and others, and they always find ways to bring them to heel. They make friends, or reform them, or just... magic them away. They've never failed us."

I glanced over my shoulder at the diner, and then looked down at Sapphire. "So... am I just another bad person that they're working to reform?"

Sapphire stopped in the street, forcing me to stop as well, and she flew up to eye level with me, glaring at me. "You stop that line of thinking, right now. Rarity may have burned you, and you have every right to be hurt, but those six are nothing but sincere in how they go about things. They individually have their failings, sure, but they don't just reform ponies or people because it's their job... they do it because they believe in others, and they believe that everypony can be better. Even the bad ones. And maybe you fall into that category, but the bottom line is that they aren't insincere in their offers of friendship, their efforts at reform, and the second chances they give to a lot of beings that most ponies would write off. They do it because that's the kind of ponies that they are."

I was a bit taken aback by the vehemence in Sapphire's voice, but her strength of belief in those six mares actually put me more at ease. "Okay, I believe you."

Sapphire eyed me for a long moment. "Don't think that you're just another project for them. You aren't. You're a good person, Jake, even if you haven't been all that good for all that long."

I nodded, sighing. "Thanks."

Sapphire nodded back, and settled back onto her hooves, her wings ruffling. "You're getting my feathers in a fluff, here. Let's get you back to the castle and get you some sleep before you have another personal crisis."

I smirked. "Sorry for being a pain in the wings." I nudged her shoulder playfully with my hip as we walked together towards the castle. "Hey, why don't I give you a wing massage or something when we get back to my room. Least I can do." Sapphire's wings flared out with a snap of feathers, and she turned to stare at me with a blush. I stared back at her. "What?"

"N-nothing! Come on!" Sapphire said, mostly ignoring my confused look as she trotted towards the castle. I shook my head and sighed. Ponies were so twitchy about the strangest things.

Author's Note:

The long-awaited second part! Up next: an interlude chapter.