• Published 26th Apr 2017
  • 1,072 Views, 6 Comments

The Lost Lunar Civilzation: The Awakening - Monsoon



Did you ever hear about the Lunar Ponies? In Equestria nopony because they vanished a thousand year ago with Nightmare Moon. Princess Luna returned but the Lunar Ponies not. What happened with them? Well it’s time to find out.

  • ...
 6
 1,072

Chapter 2 - Welcome to the swamp

I went down to the mess hall. I had a privilege to eat with the Captain in his private dining room but I rejected it. I liked more to eat with my friends or my fellow guards. When I walked to get some food, I saw a lavender coat unicorn at a single table with a lot of books. I thought to go there and join her because she is an outsider and the only civilian in this mission. She was alone. So, I grabbed my food and go to her.

“Miss Sparkle can I sit down to this table because I can’t see any free places in the room?"

She gets her head up from the book – “Oh sure and just Twilight please.”

I put down my tray to the table with my magic and I started to eat. Everypony hate the military rations but we got used to it. At least in the airship we have normal foods. I looked to her and she was writing something down to a paper. - “Can I ask what are you writing?”

“One of my latest experiment with a spells and a Friendship Report to Princess Celestia.”

“What's a Friendship Report?”

“I’m experimenting and searching the meaning of Friendship. That’s how we can wield the Elements of Harmony.” – she said proudly.

“And how is it going?”

“It’s quite good but it isn’t exactly a Friendship Report. It’s more likely a diary about our expedition. I’m so excited to meet new ponies and a new colony.”

“Yeah I can feel that. I’m leading this mission and I’m the youngest high ranked officer in the army or in the Guard.” – I said with a smile.

“Can I ask something?”

“Sure”

“I wonder how did you become a lieutenant so young?”

“Well it’s a long story but in short Captain Shining Armor hoof picked me to the Guard. I was good back in the academy. I had good grades and I'm a good tactician. The other cadets hated me back in the academy because my good performance. But I didn’t care what the others thinking. I wanted to be a good officer and a good soldier. I wanted my parents be proud at me. Shining Armor saw my efforts and one day before my graduation, he just called me to his office in the palace. I didn’t know why but I fell I was in trouble. Shining Armor started to speak my result at the academy and when he finished he just only said ‘Welcome to the Royal Guard, Lieutenant.

“You said you wanted your parents be proud of you. Why? Is your parents soldiers and it’s a tradition in your family or something else?”

“Yeah both of my parent soldiers. My mother is Wonderbolt and my father is an army officer at the Canterlot City Guard. We moved to Ponyville after me and my brother was born because my parents wanted a peaceful life to us. I went to elementary school there. When my cutie-mark appeared, my parent knows very well where they should send me.”

“Wait, wait, wait, hold on a moment. Are you from Ponyville?!

“Actually, yes I am. Why?”

“Because I live there now in the Golden Oak Library.”

“Is that the big tree in the other side of the town?”

“Yes, it is! I like living there. Firstly, my friends live there. Secondly, I like that peaceful life there. Thirdly I must research the Magic of Friendship.” – she said with a huge smile on her face and a very happy tone.

I observed a little bit her. She is pretty dang excited about to research something. She is obviously a bookworm but the cute one. After a few moments silence she said – “I miss them already. I miss Applejack stubbornness, Rainbow Dash ego and Pinkie Pie randomness but this task is something new. I will enjoy better this trip if my friends in here.”

I laughed. She just stares me why I am laughing. I said – “Applejack never changes. She was stubborn at the school and she’s probably angry to me.”

“Whaaat?!”

“What, what?”

“Do you know who is Applejack?!”

“Yes, she was my classmate. One of my good friends from Ponyville. I didn’t send her a letter last month so I think she’s pretty angry to me as I said.”- She just stares me again for long seconds. I think I blow her mind. - “Are you alri-“

“Ohmygosh,ohmygosh! I never thought I will meet somepony from Ponyville who knows one of my friend and the top of that he knows from his foalhood.” – she said. I know that look in her eyes. She has a lot of question. I must get out of here but it’s too late. - “How do you meet with Applejack? When you leaved Ponyville? What’s your cutie-mark mean? What’s yo-“ – I placed my hoof to her mouth. I never did that to anyone before but I fell I have to do it. My action surprised her.

“Hold on for minute. I will ask all of your questions but slow down with it. What if I answer one of your question and after that I ask a question and vice-versa. Okay?” - I removed my hoof from her mouth.

“Y-yes. I wonder what a guard cutie-mark looks like because it’s always cover with armor. I know Shining's cutie-mark because he is my brother but what is yours?"

“Well yes because somehow we have to defend our flanks. But answer to your question, my cutie-mark is a map with a sword on it. So, what’s this Magic of Friendship?"

After that we spoke about my and her past or her researches. I think to sit here was a good choice.


-------------------------------------------


In my cabin, I try to focus on my work but I can’t. I have a lot of thoughts in my head.

Firstly, the Lunar Ponies. Twilight described it for us but I can’t imagine them. They look like a pegasus with fangs. Should we afraid from them? Well totally and everypony else afraid from them. That will be a problem later and I don’t know what should I do with it.

Secondly, I saw another problem among the ponies in the airship. Well they don’t really like Princess Luna presence. I saw it back at Canterlot in the guard but in here without Princess Celestia it comes out very strongly.

I hope they don’t do anything stupid in this journey and we can just reach our destination. I can’t focus on my work so I went out from my cabin to get some fresh air.


-------------------------------------------


I was at the observation deck when I hear someone approach me.

“I saw you today with that purple mare at lunch.” - I turned around and I see a white pegasus with grey mane. He stands front of me with his golden armor.

“Yes, I was. Are you jealous?”

“Nah I just like to make fun of my boss.” – White Lance said with a grin.

“White Lance, you know you playing with fire.”

“Yeah and I like it. So, who was she?”

“Did you payed attention at the briefing?”

“Nope, I just only know what should I do when a thing like she described approach us.”

I sigh - “Her name is Twilight Sparkle Princess Celestia protégé” – I murmured.

"Heh you want to lay down with a bookworm. I thought you better than this Monsoon." - He chuckled

"You son of a-"

“Ahem" - suddenly Captain Blitz stands next to us. - "Prepare your team Lieutenant. We will be there about an hour.”

"Sergeant, prepare the teams and get ready for landing.


-------------------------------------------


“Well it’s time start the real adventure. Sergeant gather the team to the main deck.” – I said then I trot back to my cabin to prepare myself for the landing.

The airship landed one of the clear lands in the swamp. I stand at top of the ramp. As I expected I can’t see anything in the fog. I went down to the ramp and I searched for any danger. The fog is thick and we don’t really see anything.

“How can we navigate in this fog?” – White Lance who followed me.

“Well with this.” – The map floated front of me with my blue magic. I observed it the map. -“We have to move forward 2km and there we will reach the forest.” – I said. The sergeants in the team start to shout after the orders and they organized the group. I stand front of the group with Princess Luna and Twilight. After an hour, we ready to start the journey.

“Move forward soldiers and watch your steps.” – I shouted the order. The airship leaved the ground and fly back to the sky.

We start to move to the forest. We moved fifteen minutes in the thick fog then I heard something. I signaled the group to halt.

“Did you hear something?” – whispered Twilight.

“Yes, but it’s not a friendly voice.” – I said. I signaled Spitfire to come over and recon the area. We wait a few minutes for Spitfire to come back. She landed next to me.

“It’s definitely something out there and it isn’t quite small.” – She said.

“Can we just go around it?” - asked Twilight.

“Well it has another path but that’s more longer and we haven’t got enough time. Did you saw the creature itself?”

“Nope the fog covers it. If I have to guess that creature will be 300m or 400m above from our position.”

Well we have lack of choices and we can’t risk it to take another path.

“Okay spread out within earshot. Do not engage the creature if it’s not necessary.”- I start to move forward in the fog slowly. Suddenly I saw something moving front of us. I halt the group again. – “I saw the creature.”

I charged my magic and shot a flare front of us. I stepped back immediately because I saw three creatures instead one. They have four legs and claws each of them. One of them stand up two legs and stare me. The creature has a distinctive face with odd jaw and one of them start to cry out and move to us.

“Circle formation and spears up!” – I shout the orders. We formed a circle and the unicorns shot flares to the sky. I looked around and I realized we trapped. Everywhere around us stands a creature with bloodthirsty eyes. – “Unicorns ready the offensive spells and wait for my signal!” – In the middle of our circle stands Princess Luna and Twilight with sparkling horn.

They run to us. All of them. – “NOW!” – We shot everywhere. The spells mostly hit every target but some of them got trough. I drew out my sword and I blocked the creature attack. He fell back and I cut his neck. Blood covers my face and my armor. I looked up and I saw the spells confetti everywhere. I hear all the battle cry’s and the creatures screams. I turned around and one of these things try to kill a pegasus I charged my horn and shot a spell to his face. The thing cried in agony. I moved to there and I stabbed him with my sword. After that I moved to the pegasus who laid on the ground. I looked around again and I saw we won. They retreated.

I looked back the pegasi. He has a bite in his neck. - “MEDIC!” – I shouted out. I try to make pressure to the wound but it wasn’t enough. The medic run to us and start to work on him but it was late.

“I’m sorry Lieutenant but he badly wounded.” – She stood up and walked back to the group to see the other injuries.

I took off his helmet and the enchantment of the armor disappeared. I saw his emerald coat and his yellow mane. I took his name tag and read it. His name was Private Emerald Spirit. He is the first pony who died under my command and on this mission. I have responsibility to these ponies and with this action I almost screwed up. I moved away from him to front of the group.

“Let’s get moving to the forest.”- I shouted the order. Everypony stares me and not moving. – “Are you deaf? MOVE FORWARD!” – They organized themselves and we started to move the forest again.


-------------------------------------------


After an hour, we reached the forest and luckily it was uneventful. Everyone in the group was silent and I perfectly know why. We lost a pony in a battle and the group morale dropped. A lot of them didn’t see any conflict and ponies died around us. I have to be strong for them but in here I don’t know I will have the power for it.

“We need to find this lake to make a camp there.” - I said it while I was looking the map.

“We’re on it” – Spitfire said and flew off the ground.

I face to the group - “We will be rest here as long as they don’t return. Two ponies go and patrol the area.” – I moved and sit down under one of the trees. I shut my eyes

I hear a thud next to me. I opened my eyes and I saw Princess Luna next to me. She didn’t say anything. She just sits there. A few seconds after I broke the silence. – “What do you want Your Highness?”

“Nothing. We just want to sit here if you don’t mind.” – she said

“No not all.” – I shut my eyes again and try to rest a few minutes before our recon team come back. I try to not think what happened in the swamp but I can’t. He was young and brave pony but he died in this rotten place. I had a responsibility for him but I can’t save him. I opened my saddlebag and his name tag floated front of my face.

“I’m sorry”- said Princess Luna

“He knows his duty and he died for it. I blame myself for his death. Maybe I could save him. Maybe I could kill that beast and he wouldn’t die there.”

“Monsoon Shine you can not change the past and you perfectly know you could not do anything for him.”

“I know but it was my responsibility to keep him alive and I failed.” – I sigh – “I don’t know how should I feel about this.”

“Sir?” – suddenly Sargent White Lance stands next to me.

“Yes?”

“The recon team came back and Captain Spitfire want to speak with you.”

“That was fast.” – I stood up and walked to Spitfire. – “So, did you find it?”

“Yes, I did but we found something else in there either.”

“Is it dangerous?”

“I think a gryphon patrol can be dangerous.” – For Celestias sake why? I jumped out a problem and here is another.

“Did they see you?”

“No at least I think not.”

One side the beasts and the other side is the gryphons. Great. – “Any suggestions?”

“We spotted a cave when we flew back to here in northwest.” – said one of the pony in the recon team.

“We have to move there. I just hope nothing lives inside that cave. Move out!”

------------------

We reached the cave after when Luna’s moon take her place. It’s pretty awesome to watch how an alicorn can move such a thing. Fortunately, we didn’t find any hostile in the cave and we set our camp in there.

The sergeants assigned the patrols and the rest of the group can relax a little bit. When I trotted to my sleeping bag I saw Twilight sitting next to the wall. I think she's a little bit shocked.

"Are you alright?" - i asked her

"Y-yes i think so. I never was in a battle before and one of our ponies died there."

"I know,we wasn't either. He is the first pony I lost but I know he won't be the last."

"Do you think it will be easier now?"

"I will be lie if I say yes but the truth is I don't know. You don't have to be worry we will protect you like Princess Luna."

"I'm not worrying myself, I'm worrying about you and the others."

I chuckled - "You shouldn't be worry about me or anypony. I can handle it."

"Yes I am worry about you. You have a lot of stress in your shoulder and now you lost a pony in a battle. We don't want to you collapse under this pressure."

"Twilight I can handle it. I must, so don't worry about me. Okay?"

"Okay" - she whispered it.

"Good." - I continue to move forward to my sleeping bag.

We start a new day and leave behind this one. The name tag floated front of me again. I watched it for long moments. I have responsibility for them even if I know some of them won’t return home. I lay down to my sleeping bag and I tried to sleep for this little time what I got.