• Published 28th Apr 2017
  • 6,105 Views, 652 Comments

Neighbors - Tethered-Angel



A familiar face moves into the sirens' apartment building.

  • ...
9
 652
 6,105

Chapter 7- Hitting the Streets

“Okay,” Aria said, flopping down on the couch next to Adagio, “I really, really hate to admit it, but I’m getting a little worried about Sonata.”

Adagio glanced over at her sister and, seeing the serious expression on face, reached over to mute the television. “What’s up?” She asked, giving Aria her full attention.

“Well, she’s been gone a lot lately,” Aria said, biting her lip. “Like, all the time. I’ve barely seen her at all this week. I know you’ve been busy at the call center, but haven’t you noticed at all? I mean, normally the only times she leaves the apartment are to shop or to raid some taco joint.”

Adagio shook her head sadly. “No, with all the extra shifts I’ve been pulling, I’m afraid I hadn’t noticed. She’s always been a social creature, maybe she decided to start hanging out with one of the Rainbooms. Have you asked her?”

“I tried!” Aria huffed, “She got all dodgy and evasive, refused to answer my questions. I couldn’t even get her to fold with bribery. Or noogies.”

“That… actually is somewhat concerning,” Adagio said thoughtfully. “She’s not the type to keep secrets. She’s barely even capable of it.” She steepled her fingers, leaning forward on her elbows on her knees. “Do you know where she is now?”

“No, that’s why I mentioned it!” Aria said, growing frustrated, “I haven’t seen her at all since yesterday morning!”

Adagio froze, sucking in a breath. “Okay, that is pretty big. She’s never done that without telling us before, if she could help it. It’s possible you’re right, and she’s in some sort of trouble. But still, it would be best not to panic. I’ll ask Shimmer if she knows anything.”

“Bacon Bits?” Aria scoffed, “Why her?”

“Because,” Adagio said, pushing herself up off the couch, “She has all the Rainbooms’ phone numbers. If Sonata is with one of the other girls, she’ll either have heard about it, or be able to ask.”

Aria sighed. “I guess it’s our best lead. Still, I don’t like asking them for help.”

“Aria, relax,” Adagio said, grinning widely, “We’re supposed to be friends now, remember? And what do friends love more than helping each other?”

Aria rolled her eyes, slumping into the couch. Adagio chuckled. She would come around, eventually. Satisfied that her sister was through griping for the moment, Adagio headed across the hall.

==O==

Knock-knock-knock!

“Come in, it’s open!” Sunset called from her spot on the couch.

The door opened and Adagio stepped inside. “Hello, Shimmer. Oh my, and Miss Sparkle. I trust I’m not interrupting anything?” The siren said, grinning devilishly.

“N-no!” Sunset said, waving her hands in panic and scooting away to try and put some distance between herself and the other girl on the couch. “Nothing’s happening, it’s just a study date! I- I mean we’re just studying!” She groaned into her hands, face flushing red. Twilight giggled, setting her heavy textbook on the coffee table.

“Oh, I see,” Adagio smirked, leaning over the back of the couch between the two students, “Let me guess… Biology?” She asked, aiming a teasing wink in Sunset’s direction.

“Yes, actually,” Twilight said, completely missing the siren’s suggestive tone. She sat up, straightening her glasses. “How did you know?”

“Oh, just a siren’s intuition,” Adagio chuckled, patting her on the head, drawing a squeak from the bookish girl.

Sunset reached over to slap the siren’s hand away from her blushing friend. “What do you want, Adagio?” She asked shortly.

“Oh, yes, of course,” Adagio said, straightening up. “I actually needed a favor. Have either of you seen Sonata today? Aria and I are a bit worried about her.”

Sunset blinked, then shook her head. “Nope, she hasn’t been by here.” She said. She glanced over at Twilight, who shrugged.

“I didn’t see her when I was coming up earlier,” The bookworm volunteered.

Adagio. “Alright, I suspected as much. just let me know if you hear from her, alright? Neither of us has seen her since yesterday.”

“You don’t think she’s in any sort of trouble, do you?” Sunset asked, picking up on the siren’s worry.

“I don’t know… I hope not. I know she can take care of herself, but as I’m sure you know she doesn’t always make the wisest decisions.” Adagio sighed.

“Have you tried calling any of the other girls?” Twilight asked, “Maybe she just spent the night somewhere and forgot to tell you.”

Adagio blushed, rubbing the back of her head. “Well, to be honest, I don’t have anyone’s number. Actually, I don’t even have a mobile phone. Neither does Sonata. We’ve been getting by with the landline in the apartment.”

Sunset looked at the siren incredulously. “Seriously, you actually hooked yours up?”

“Of course,” Adagio said, “That’s how I get my internet as well.” Twilight gasped loudly, looking a little peaked. Adagio cocked her head in confusion. “Is she alright?”

Sunset chuckled. “She’ll be fine. Anyway, I guess I can understand you not quite keeping up with all the human technology. It was a bit of a culture shock for me too. Though you girls have been here a lot longer than me… A lot longer.” Adagio sniffed indignantly, and Sunset smirked. “Don’t worry, I’ll text the girls and see if they’ve seen her. I’ll let you know the minute I hear anything, alright?”

Adagio nodded. “Very well. Thank you, Shimmer. I don’t know what I’d do without you,” She said with only a hint of sarcasm. Turning, she made to leave the apartment, but stopped short as her eyes fell across the kitchen counter. “Did you… did you put googly eyes on your cactus?”

“No!” Sunset protested as Twilight, apparently recovered from her prior shock, broke into giggles next to her. Adagio eyed the former unicorn with a smirk. Sunset blushed, crossing her arms and looking away. “It gets lonely here, okay?”

Adagio chuckled, her smirk growing to a grin. “Oh, I’m sure it’s fine. As long as you didn’t name it or anything.” Sunset groaned and Twilight laughed even harder. “You didn’t name it, did you?”

“No!”

“Don’t lie to me, Shimmer,” Adagio scolded.

“She named it George!” Twilight gasped, unable to contain her glee.

Sunset turned to her, clutching her chest dramatically. “Et tu, Twilight?”

“Hee hee hee, s-sorry,” Twilight gasped past her laughter.

Adagio snorted. “That’s adorable,” She said, shaking her head.

“The plant?” Sunset asked, tilting her head in confusion.

“Sure.” Adagio smirked. “Anyway, thanks for offering to look into that for me. I feel a lot better. It was nice to see you too, Sparkle,” She said with a wave. “Oh, and you too… George.” She left the apartment, snickering.

==O==

Well?” Aria demanded anxiously as Adagio stepped back into their apartment.

Adagio shrugged, closing the door behind her before walking over and plopping into the couch. “Shimmer is texting her friends to see if any of them know what’s going on. Until then there’s not much we can do. We can’t just go out and search the city aimlessly.”

Aria huffed. “I guess so.” She grumbled, crossing her arms and staring dully at the muted TV.

“Hey,” Adagio said, shaking her lightly, “She’ll be fine.” When she got no response, she sighed. “I’m thinking maybe you were right, it’s about time we all got cell phones.”

“Finally!” Aria huffed, throwing her arms in the air before turning to her sister, “This wouldn’t have been an issue if you’d taken my advice years ago.”

“I know,” Adagio admitted, sucking in air through her teeth. “It’s just so expensive…”

“Because you never let me help pay for things!” Aria countered, pulling an expensive smart phone from her pocket and waving it in front of her older sister’s face. “I can afford it, and I know what I’m talking about. One of us had to keep up with technology over the last century!”

Biting her lip, Adagio nodded. “You’re right, I should have listened to you. Look, after we get this whole thing with Sonata straightened out, we can talk-"

Knock-knock-knock!

Both girls snapped their heads toward the door, Aria glancing between it and her sister anxiously. “Come in!” Adagio called.

Sunset walked in, holding her phone, followed closely by Twilight. “Hey girls. I heard from Fluttershy. Apparently Sonata spent the night at her place. She didn’t say why.” She squinted, glancing at her phone. “She’s being… strangely evasive, actually.” Twilight nodded her agreement.

“I don’t like the sound of that,” Aria growled, “I knew it, they’re in some kind of trouble.”

“Now wait a minute,” Sunset interjected, “You know your sister better than I do, but she doesn’t seem like the type to go looking for trouble. And she’s with Fluttershy. Unless they tried to raid a petting zoo I don’t think there’s much chance of them getting in trouble.”

“Girls, girls, hold on a second,” Adagio said, raising her hands in a placating gesture, “I think it’s obvious what’s really going on.” She grinned, reveling in the looks of anticipation the others were giving her. She snapped her fingers. “They’re a couple!”

No one knew quite what to say to that. Sunset and Twilight just stared at the siren dumbly, and Aria shot her a baleful glare. “A couple?” The younger siren said testily, “You really think those two are a couple?”

“Well then,” The eldest siren said with a wink, “Grab your coats, ladies. There’s one way to find out.”

==O==

“No, there’s no way they’re dating,” Aria huffed, crossing her arms and leaning back against the uncomfortable plastic of the bus seat. She glared across the aisle at her sister. “I refuse to believe it.”

“Please,” Adagio scoffed, “Why did you come if you didn’t want to see if it was true? Besides, you’re talking like she’s some celibate nun. You know as well as I do that she more than knows her way around the bedroom.”

“I came because I’m worried about our sister!” Aria snapped, “And that’s my point. She has no subtlety whatsoever! If she was fucking the shy one we would have found weird shit all over the apartment by now.”

Sunset and Twilight looked back and forth between the two arguing sirens, faces flushed red with embarrassment. “H-hey,” Sunset interjected, “Fluttershy isn’t like that.”

Adagio nodded. “I agree. Sonata would have had her work cut out for her if she wanted to get that one in bed. Which, I suspect, is why she’s been gone so much; she’s been wooing her! And last night, they finally consummated!” She clapped her hands together. Aria rolled her eyes.

Twilight and Sunset blanched. “I, um… wow… a week seems like a really short time for… that.” Twilight said, tugging on her collar. “I’d think at least a year-”

Adagio laughed. “A whole year, little bookworm?” She teased, “Please, I’m almost insulted! I think the most I’ve ever needed was a month, and that was with a preacher.”

“Yeah,” Aria scoffed, “And remember how that turned out for you.”

Adagio cringed. “Perhaps that was a poor example…”

“And only goes to prove my point,” Aria growled. “Frankly, I wonder why you aren’t more concerned.”

Sighing, Adagio leaned back in her chair. “I am a little worried. We both know she can be an idiot, but she’s with Fluttershy. Even if they aren’t a couple, I doubt she could get into too much trouble with that one involved. Right Sunset?”

Sunset nodded. “Aria, I promise. I know you don’t really trust us yet, but your sister is fine. You’ll see when we get to Fluttershy’s.”

“Speaking of which,” Adagio said as the bus squealed to a halt. The group looked up to see that they were at their stop. “Come on, ladies, we’re here. Just another block or two to Fluttershy’s.” Adagio said, standing up and stretching.

“Wait, why do you know how to get to Fluttershy’s house?” Sunset asked suspiciously as she and the others followed the oldest siren off the bus.

Adagio laughed, tossing her hair back over her shoulder and half turning to look at the girl. “I’m sure I don’t know what you mean, Shimmer,” She smirked.

Aria stepped between Sunset and Twilight, tossing an arm around each of them and flashing a predatory grin. “We sirens always make it a point to know where our prey lives.” Chuckling, she stepped forward to walk next to her sister. Adagio reached out and flicked the back of her head.

“Knock it off, Aria.” The older siren said, “I thought you were worried about Sonata? Now isn’t the time to be antagonizing our friends.” She turned back to face the other two, who were looking distinctly uncomfortable. Sighing, she pinched the bridge of her nose. “What my dear sister meant, is that once we figured out you girls were the ones with Equestrian magic, it behooved us to gather as much information as possible, including your home addresses. Twilight excepted, of course. Obviously, nothing came of it, but it never hurts to be prepared. Know your enemy and all that.”

The girls shared a somewhat uneasy glance. Then, to Adagio’s relief, they shrugged, apparently accepting the explanation. Creepy as it was, no harm had come from it, and it could hardly be compared to transforming into a raging she-demon or trying to brainwash an entire school. And they really could not argue with the logic.

It was not long before they reached the little house that belonged to Fluttershy and her family. Adagio stepped up to knock, but Sunset grabbed her shoulder. “Um, let me do it. I don’t want to creep Fluttershy out.” She said with a rueful shrug. Adagio smirked, stepping out of the way and bowing, sarcastically ushering Sunset to the door. “Thanks,” Sunset said, rolling her eyes. She raised her hand to knock, then opted for the doorbell. A small chime rang through the house.

The group heard what sounded like someone whispering, followed by a loud “Yeah, yeah, I got it!” A moment later, a lanky teenager with shaggy blonde hair tied up in a loose bun opened the door. Catching sight of Sunset, he groaned, rolling his eyes. “Great, more of Fluttershy’s friends.” His eyes drifted downward briefly, before snapping back up to Sunset’s face. “She’s not here,” He said, “Left about an hour ago with the other chick.”

“Oh,” Sunset said, ignoring the kid’s wandering eyes, “Do you know where?”

“Like I’m my sister’s keeper. I don’t know where she went.” He shrugged, moving to shut the door. “Now if you don’t mind-” His words suddenly caught in his throat as he finally noticed the two sirens standing behind Sunset, specifically Aria, who was leering at him with her arms crossed and a bone-chilling smile on her face. He gulped, licking his suddenly dry lips. “A-a- actually, I think they said something about visiting the fashionista bi- uh, girl. Rarity?” He gulped, face breaking out in a cold sweat.

“Um, thank you?” Sunset said, smiling bemusedly. She glanced back at Adagio, who shrugged.

“Y-yeah sure, whatever,” Zephyr said hoarsely, closing the door. Twilight and Sunset shared a confused glance as the bolt solidly locked into place. Adagio cast a suspicious glare toward her sister.

“What was that about?” Sunset asked, stepping off the porch after the others. “He seemed terrified! I thought everyone had gotten past what I did…”

“Don’t beat yourself up over it too badly, Shimmer,” Adagio said, pointing an accusing thump toward Aria, who’s dour frown had temporarily been replaced by a vicious grin. “I suspect it wasn’t you he was reacting to.”

“I dunno,” Aria smirked, “I think she just has a way with people.” Adagio barked a laugh. “Speaking of,” Aria spat, regaining her glare as she noticed a familiar rainbow-headed girl biking toward them at full speed. The others turned to follow the siren’s gaze, just managing to jump out of the newcomer’s way as she skidded to a stop right in the middle of the group.

“Hey girls!” Rainbow Dash announced loudly, hopping off her bike. Then in a more reserved tone, “H-hey Aria.”

Aria scowled.

Rainbow scratched the back of her head awkwardly. “Uh, right. Heheh… So, uh, have any of you guys seen Fluttershy? I haven’t really been able to get ahold of her lately.”

“We were actually just trying to find her,” Sunset said, “Apparently Sonata stayed the night here last night, and her sisters are trying to track her down.”

Adagio nodded. “Yes, unfortunately they’ve already left. Her brother was kind enough to inform us that they may have gone to Rarity’s place.”

“Ugh, you had to talk to that creep, Zephyr?” Rainbow cringed, “Yeah, thanks for saving me from that conversation.” Aria actually cracked a smile at that. Rainbow noticed it, but decided not to push her luck with the siren. Instead she asked Sunset, “You mind if I tag along?”

“Of course not,” Sunset said before either of the sirens could protest. Adagio shrugged and Aria rolled her eyes.

“Great!” she said, “So why did you guys come all the way out here just to track down Sonata?”

“Because the idiot doesn’t have a phone,” Aria muttered.

“She’s been rather evasive about what she gets up to when she’s not around,” Adagio interjected.

“Yeah, and Fluttershy wouldn’t tell me either, which is weird,” Sunset said. “Adagio suspects that they’re- ahem- ‘seeing each other’.”

“What!?” Rainbow exclaimed, “You gotta be kidding me! There’s no way,” She laughed, “Fluttershy and Sonata? That’s crazy! I mean, can you see Fluttershy dating some ex-villain?” She stopped when she noticed the four utterly unamused glares turned her way. She blushed and kicked the ground. “Uh, no offense?”

Sunset facepalmed. “None taken,” She groaned.

“Actually, no,” Aria said, crossing her arms, “I do take offense to that.”

Rainbow gulped, turning to Sunset and Twilight for support. “Sorry,” Sunset shrugged, “I can’t speak for them.”

Groaning, Rainbow turned back to the sirens, not quite able to meet their eyes. “S-sorry, I guess that was a pretty rotten thing to say. I wasn’t thinking.”

“Obviously,” Aria muttered, still staring daggers at the girl.

Sunset made to step between the girls, but Adagio beat her to it. “Now now,” The eldest siren said, “I think we can all agree just how easy it can be to say things we regret. Right, Aria?” She asked her sister pointedly. Turning back to Rainbow she said, “While I don’t appreciate the unkind words, I believe I can accept your apology for the sake of peace. But, I don’t believe my sister and I were the only ones you insulted.” She looked pointedly toward Sunset and Twilight.

“G-guys?” Rainbow said, eyes widening as she saw how upset Twilight in particular looked. “I’m really sorry. I don’t mean to keep bringing up the past like that. You know I love you guys, it’s just sometimes my brain doesn’t keep up with my mouth, right?”

“It’s okay,” Sunset said, putting a hand on her shoulder, “We forgive you.”

“Y-yeah, no harm done,” Twilight said, patting her other shoulder, “I understand.” She still looked a little unsure, but managed a smile anyway. Rainbow accepted their words with relief.

Meanwhile Adagio turned to Aria, who was still glaring at Rainbow like she wanted to strangle her. “Aria, I know I said I would not force you to be friends,” She whispered, “But you need to stop being so openly hostile. She may be an idiot, but she was not trying to insult you.”

“She didn’t insult me,” Aria growled back, “She implied that Sonata wasn’t good enough for one of their clique! Sonata is more than good enough for any one of them.”

“Aria,” Adagio blinked, “I thought you didn’t even believe they were seeing each other.”

“I don’t!” She snapped back, “But I don’t like hearing anyone insult her like that.”

“I understand,” Adagio said, giving her younger sister a comforting squeeze on the shoulder, “You’re worried about her. I am too, but we can’t take it out on them. Even Rainbow Dash. I know you don’t get along, I think I can even understand why, but do at least make the effort.”

“What, like I have to do what you say, just because you told me to? You aren’t our leader anymore, Adagio.”

Adagio sucked in a breath, looking hurt. “I may not be the leader of the Dazzlings anymore, but I’m still your big sister.” She sighed, “If you can’t do it for me, do it for Sonata. You know as well as I do how important having friends has been to her. Don’t be the one to drive a wedge between them.”

Aria glared furiously at the suggestion, then took a deep, calming breath. “I’ll try, Adagio. For Sonata’s sake.”

“That’s all I ask.” Adagio answered. The other three caught up shortly, and Aria increased her pace to distance herself from the others. Despite what she had said, she still needed time to cool down. “Give her a minute,” Adagio told the others, “She doesn’t like to show it, but she’s really worried about Sonata.”

“I understand,” Sunset said, “I’m sure she’s fine, but the situation is still odd.”

“I know I’d be worried if my brother just disappeared over night,” Twilight said. “I mean, he’s older than me, and living with Cadance now, but I’d still be concerned if I couldn’t get ahold of him.”

“I appreciate that,” Adagio said. Then she turned to the last member of the group. “Rainbow Dash, can I have a word?” Rainbow nodded uneasily and slowed her pace to match the siren’s, falling behind the others so they could have some privacy. “So,” Adagio began, once she was sure they wouldn’t be overheard, “We haven’t really had the chance to talk. If I’m not mistaken, you’re the one who hit my dear sister at the Sisterhood Social.”

Rainbow gulped. “L-look, I’m sorry about that, and about what I said. I was-”

Adagio raised her hand, cutting her off. “As I’ve told Shimmer, don’t apologize. It’s unbecoming. Actions speak louder than mere words, and you seem like a young woman of action. I don’t like what you did, but Shimmer has given me some advice as well: ‘forgiveness is the key to friendship.’ So, in the interest of that, I’m willing to let it go, but I need to know something. What is your problem with Aria?”

Rainbow bit her lip, looking downcast. “I don’t have a problem with Aria. I did something stupid, and I’m trying to make up for it, but she won’t let me!”

“I am aware that she can be difficult,” Adagio said, shaking her head sympathetically. “I have no doubt that little incident at the Social was at least partially her fault. The fact is, the two of you are similar in a lot of ways. No, don’t try to deny it, you know it’s true. It’s part of what causes you two to clash.” She sighed. “I’m sure there’s no love lost between you, but I have to look after my family. If you cause trouble for them, I will not be happy.”

“I- I’m not trying to start trouble,” Rainbow said in an uncharacteristically subdued tone. “I just-”

“Good,” Adagio said, cutting her off, “Keep it that way.” With that she increased her pace to catch up with the rest of the group.

“Yeah…” Rainbow said, sighing heavily.

==O==

It was not much longer before the group reached Rarity’s house. Again Adagio stepped up to knock first, but she stopped herself, gesturing toward the door invitingly I case someone else wanted to do the honors. Sunset rolled her eyes and waved her on. With a smirk, Adagio turned, raising her fist to the door.

Knock-knock-knock!

“Coming!” Called a high-pitched voice, and light footsteps slapped toward the door. A moment later, the door was opened by Rarity’s younger sister, Sweetie Belle. Although she was a couple of years younger, she already bore a striking resemblance to her sister, though her hair was curlier and streaked with pink, and her eyes were more green than blue. Adagio noted that she would likely grow up to rival her sister in looks, if she didn’t already.

“Oh, hi Adagio!” The teenager greeted cheerfully.

The siren blinked. She was not surprised to be recognized by the girl, but the positive reception caught her off guard. “H-hi. Sweetie Belle, right? Is Rarity home? We’re looking for my sister, and were told to look for her and Fluttershy here.”

Sweetie looked back over her shoulder, then peeked out the door and looked up and down the street. She gestured Adagio closer and half-whispered into her ear. “I promised not to tell, so you didn’t hear it from me, but Rarity told me they were going to Applejack’s for some reason.”

Rainbow Dash moaned. “Aww, all the way there? We’re gonna wind up going all over Canterlot at this rate!”

“It’s not so bad,” Sunset said with a giggle, “It’s good exercise. Plus, we all get to hang out.”

“But it’s boring just walking around,” The athlete countered.

“True,” Twilight interjected, “We should probably be studying for that Biology test.”

“You know what, this is actually pretty fun. Let’s go to Applejacks!” Rainbow declared with sudden enthusiasm.

“Well, it looks like we have our next destination,” Adagio said with some amusement. She turned back to Sweetie as the others began to make their way toward the nearest bus stop with Twilight and her bus schedule in the lead. “Thanks for the help,” Adagio said, “Though I have to ask. I remember you from the school, and I know I couldn’t have made a good impression. Why are you so willing to help me?”

“Well,” Sweetie said, this time really ensuring that the others were out of earshot. Everyone had already moved a bit down the street already, except Aria who was looking back impatiently from the end of the driveway. “Rarity talks about you a lot,” Sweetie said. “She says you’re not all evil like before, and after what happened with Sunset, well… my friends and I are trying to be more accepting.” Adagio raised an eyebrow at that. Something else she would have to ask the girl about. “Also,” Sweetie said, even quieter, “I remember your singing. It was really good, and I kind of admired it,” She blushed.

“Thank you,” Adagio said, smiling sincerely. She reached out and mussed the younger girl’s hair. “You’re a good kid.”

“Hey, I’m not that young! I’m fifteen!” She protested.

Adagio laughed. “Everyone’s young compared to me, honey.” With a smirk she turned, waving back as she rejoined her sister.

“You two seemed to hit it off,” Aria said drily.

“Guess I’m just the older sister type,” Adagio said, reaching up to muss her sister’s hair like she had with Sweetie. She quickly found her wrist trapped by Aria’s iron grip. “Okay, okay, I give!” She laughed. Aria smirked and released Adagio’s hand. Quick as a flash Adagio reached over and ruffled her hair anyway, before sprinting to catch up with the others. Aria stared after her, her jaw dropping open. She was still getting used to Adagio’s more playful moods. She followed, shaking her head in annoyance, but decided to postpone her revenge until later. Besides, she still had her younger sister to worry about.

==O==

“You and Sweetie seemed to hit it off pretty well,” Sunset said as they waited at the bus stop. She, Adagio, and Aria were seated at the bench, while a short distance away Twilight and Rainbow were debating the merits of snacking while studying.

“Yes, well, her name certainly matches her disposition,” Adagio said. “She reminds me of my own little sisters, when they were still cute.” She smirked.

“Bite me,” Aria grumbled, subtly flipping her sister off behind her crossed arms. Adagio laughed.

“I’m glad, she and her friends have come a long way. I admit I’m a little jealous how easily she seemed to accept you…” Sunset’s voice had a trace of melancholy to it.

“I suspect there’s a story in there. Sweetie said something, but I didn’t really have time to ask.”

Sunset sighed. “The first couple of months after my ‘redemption’ were hard. Rainbow and the others tried to befriend me, mostly because Princess Twilight asked them to, but it was still hard for them to trust me. Others didn’t even try, and I can’t say I blame them. Sweetie and her friends, they had an especially hard time accepting me, probably because of how close they are to the girls.” She shook her head sadly.

Adagio could tell that there was more to the story, but it was neither the time nor the place to bring it up. She cast about for something to change the topic, but Aria beat her to it. “Why did you even bother staying at the school?” The younger siren asked, “I mean, we’ve been around. High schools suck. And you seem pretty smart, I imagine you could have gotten by somewhere else easily enough.”

Sunset shrugged. “I guess that felt too much like giving up. And I already had a group of friends who were at least willing to give me a shot, even if the rest of the school hated my guts. For a while that is.” She giggled, “I guess I can thank you all for that.”

“We live to serve,” Adagio said drily, though she was glad the other girl’s mood had improved.

Sunset laughed. “Well, I think it was worth it. I don’t know if I can ever totally make up for my mistakes, but I’m trying and that’s what counts. And besides, if I had bailed, I never would have had the chance to meet you girls and become friends.”

“Is she always this sappy?” Aria asked Adagio.

“I hear it’s one of the hazards of friendship,” Adagio smirked.

Sunset giggled, and Aria scoffed, but a twitch of her lips betrayed the smile she was trying to hide. “Hey guys, the bus is here!” Rainbow Dash called, and the trio looked up to see the grey vehicle rounding the corner.

Once they had piled onto the bus, the conversation quickly returned to the matter at hand.

“So,” Rainbow Dash asked, “Still think Fluttershy and Sonata are dating?”

“I admit, I’m starting to have my doubts,” Adagio conceded, “But I’m still holding out hope!”

The rest of the girls groaned, and Aria elbowed her sister in the ribs. “Just because you’re on a dry spell doesn’t mean you can live vicariously through Sonata.”

“W-well, they would make a cute couple…” Twilight said hesitantly. She blushed, ducking her head as four pairs of eyes stared at her. “I mean, from an academic point of view.”

Adagio turned to Sunset. “She is adorable. You’d better take care of her.”

Sunset blushed. “I-I don’t know what you mean.”

“Yes you do,” Adagio winked.

“So, assuming that’s not it, what do you think they’re doing at Applejacks?” Rainbow asked.

“Leading us on another wild goose chase,” Aria growled. “I swear, when I get my hands on that little idiot, I can’t be held responsible for my actions.”

“Heh… right…” Rainbow said, looking worried.

“I’m sure it’s nothing to worry about,” Sunset said. “Trust me, with a group like ours, getting everyone together at the same time is almost impossible, even with phones. I don’t know how Pinkie always manages it.”

“From what I’ve seen, some sort of witchcraft,” Adagio said.

A loud chime drew everyone’s attention to Sunset’s pocket. She pulled out her phone and glanced at the screen. “Oh,” She said. “Oops.”

“What is it?” Adagio asked.

“Um… I might have made a bit of a mistake.” She laughed sheepishly. “That was Rarity. She’s asking me not to bring you girls to AJ’s place.”

“Why not?” Aria demanded.

“Well, I feel kind of dumb about this, but I can’t really tell you.” She smiled awkwardly. “It’s not really my surprise to share.”

“Yeah, that’s not good enough,” Aria growled.

“I… am inclined to agree,” Adagio said. “I trust you, Shimmer, I do, but all this secrecy is making me uneasy. Aria and I will both feel better once we see our sister.”

“Alright, I understand. Just, don’t be mad if they don’t tell you everything, alright? It’s supposed to be a surprise.”

“No promises,” Aria grumbled.

==O==

Silence fell for the last several minutes as the bus neared the edge of town. Soon enough they disembarked, and from there it was only a short walk to get to Sweet Apple Acres. They took the long dirt driveway up to the family’s farmhouse, finally finding Applejack in front of the porch, elbows deep in the engine of the family pickup truck.

“Hey, AJ!” Rainbow called.

Thunk!

“Ow!” Applejack shouted, peeking out from under the hood and rubbing her head with a greasy hand. “Wha- Rainbow? What are y’all doing here?” Then she saw the rest of the group and her eyes widened. “Oh, uh, hey y’all.”

“Hello, Applejack,” Adagio said, stepping forward. “Have you seen my sister?”

“Oh, um…” Her eyes widened and she refused to meet Adagio’s eyes. “Er, yeah, sure, Ah’ve seen her around.”

“Where?” Adagio asked, eyes narrowing.

“Uh…”

“Applejack, it’s okay,” Sunset said, stepping forward and putting her hand on Adagio’s shoulder. “They’re here, aren’t they?” Applejack nodded, looking ashamed. “But they asked you not to tell us?” Again, the farmer nodded. “Alright,” Sunset said with a sigh. She turned back to the others. “Look, are you sure you can’t just let this go?”

To her surprise, it was Rainbow Dash that answered. “Are you kidding!? They’ve come all this way! Of course they aren’t gonna be okay with just dropping it now that we’re here. Right?”

“I don’t want to twist your arm, Shimmer, but I would appreciate it,” Adagio said.

“Alright,” Sunset groaned, “I get it. Applejack,” She said, turning to the farmer, “Would you mind finding Sonata, wherever she is, and having her come on out? And apologize to the others for me.”

“Sure, sugarcube. Ah can do that,” Applejack said, wiping her hands off on a grease rag and making her way toward the barn. She turned back halfway. “Do y’all mind at least staying put until I get back?” At the others’ confirmations, she turned and half-jogged around the side of the house toward the barn. She returned a few minutes later, closely followed by a sheepish-looking Sonata.

The youngest siren smiled nervously, waving her hand. “H-hey girls. Sorry I worried you…”

“Worried!?” Aria growled, storming up to her sister. Adagio followed closely.

Sunset turned to the rest of her friends, motioning them away from the sirens. “Let’s give them a little space.” The others agreed, and followed her up onto the porch.

“What the hell have you been doing!?” Aria demanded.

“I’m s-sorry,” Sonata whimpered, “I wasn’t trying to scare you…”

“It’s alright, Sonata,” Adagio said, placing a firm hand on Aria’s shoulder and stepping between her sisters. “We’re still getting used to everything. Sonata, you must understand, your sister and I, we worry about you. A lot. You may be just as old and powerful as we are, but you’re still our little sister. And without our gems, we can’t easily feel when you’re in trouble. It makes us uneasy when you go out of touch like that.”

“Thanks, Dagi,” Sonata sniffed, pulling her oldest sister into a hug. “I’m sorry.”

“What did I say about apologizing?” Adagio asked, returning the hug. Sonata giggled.

“H-hey, don’t leave me out,” Aria grumbled. “I know when I’m not wanted.”

“Oh, don’t be that way,” Adagio said. She and Sonata reached out, each grabbing one of her arms and pulling her into the embrace as well.

After a moment, Sonata giggled. “Ah-Dagi! Your hair is tickling my face!”

“Oops,” Adagio giggled as well, pulling free from the hug. Aria stepped away as well, then looked Sonata over with a critical eye.

“Speaking of hair, what’s up with yours?” The middle siren asked.

Sonata blushed a little, idly reaching back to fiddle with the tight bun. “Oh, it’s um… part of the surprise.”

“What!? Are you kidding me? You still aren’t gonna tell us?” Aria huffed.

“No, don’t be dumb!” Sonata said, sticking out her tongue.

“Hey, hey, stop it,” Adagio chastised, flicking both of her sister’s foreheads. “Please try and act like adults for one minute. Sonata, I promise, we are looking forward to your surprise, whatever it is. Try not to keep us waiting too long?” She leaned forward and kissed her forehead. “And be sure to come home tonight, okay?” Sonata nodded.

Adagio turned back to Aria. “Are you feeling better?” The middle sister crossed her arms and huffed petulantly, but nodded. “Alright then, Sonata, you can go on back to your project, whatever it is. We will see if the girls are ready to go.”

“Okay, thanks! See you tonight!” Sonata said cheerfully, giving each of her sisters a kiss on the cheek before running off.

Adagio smiled, and turned back to the porch, where the group was very obviously trying to look like they had not been watching the whole thing. She rolled her eyes and waved them down. “Well, I believe that resolves our problem, unless Miss Dash still wanted to speak with Fluttershy?”

“Nah,” Rainbow shrugged, “I get she’s busy. I think I’ll meet up with Pinkie when her shift ends.”

“And Ah gotta get back to fixing the truck, else I’d invite y’all to stay a bit longer.”

“It’s no problem,” Sunset said, “Twilight and I have some studying to do.”

“Oh yeah, the big Biology test, right? Guess Ah ought to get on that after Ah finish up here.” Applejack grunted. “The work never ends.”

“Well, we’ll let you get back to it,” Adagio said, “Thank you for helping resolve the situation.”

“Anytime, Adagio. Anytime.”

==O==

After one last bus ride, which seemed to take much longer than the others, the girls were finally back at the apartment. Rainbow Dash had gotten off in town to meet Pinkie at Sugarcube Corner, and the sirens and Sunset each went to their respective apartments, with Twilight going with Sunset to pick up where they had left off with their studies.

Aria and Adagio stayed in the living room, opting to spend their time together rather than going back to their own bedrooms. They leaned against each other, somewhat exhausted from the drama of the day, watching an old science fiction movie in black and white. The sun had just set when they finally heard the front door opening. They turned eagerly to see Sonata, who smiled at them happily. Her hair was back in its usual pony tail, and she looked tired, but none the worse for wear.

“H-hey girls,” She said, chuckling a little nervously. “You didn’t stay up for me, did you?”

“We did,” Adagio said, then glanced at the stove clock. “But it’s not that late. Only eight o’clock.”

“Oh, it felt later than that,” Sonata said, walking into the living room. “Can I sit down?”

“Of course,” Adagio said, scooting over so Sonata could sit on the couch as well.

Sonata took the proffered seat, but did not snuggle in with her sisters like she normally would. “I’m sorry for worrying you. I just wanted it to be a surprise, to make you guys feel better. I- I don’t want to be the one to spill the beans, but if you really want I’ll tell you.” Her voice wavered, and her bottom lip trembled as she spoke.

Adagio sighed. “Sonata, it’s okay if you want to keep things to yourself. You’re your own woman, and we trust you. “Right, Aria?” She asked, looking pointedly at her sister. Aria grunted, looking away, but nodded. “See? So don’t feel like you have to tell us if you don’t want to. But we do care, and when you’re ready to share, we’ll be here. I promise.”

Sonata nodded, her teary pout replaced with a teary smile. “O-okay! I don’t even have to keep it a secret long. Just go to South Canterlot Park tomorrow for the festival, okay? I’ll probably be gone before you wake up, because I have to meet the others, but promise you’ll meet me there?”

“Alright,” Adagio said, “We promise.”

“Yeah,” Aria agreed, her stern expression melting into a ghost of a smile. “We wouldn’t miss it for the world, Nata.”

Author's Note:

I swear, I don’t have it out for Rainbow! I’m going somewhere with her, I promise.