• Published 28th Apr 2017
  • 6,099 Views, 652 Comments

Neighbors - Tethered-Angel



A familiar face moves into the sirens' apartment building.

  • ...
9
 652
 6,099

Chapter 19- Nightmare Night: Part 1

“Sonata?” Adagio called from her bedroom, struggling with one of the crates she and Aria had picked up the day before. “Sonata, come help me with the rum!”

“Can’t! My hands are full! Sunny asked me to bring the blender!” Sonata yelled back, the sounds of rummaging reaching Adagio from the kitchen.

The eldest siren rolled her eyes. “Miss Shimmer already has a blender, Sonata!”

“She wanted an extra!” Sonata retorted. “It’s a big party!”

“Oh, fine!” Adagio huffed. “Aria!”

“Busy!” Aria shouted from her own bedroom. “I’m trying to put the finishing touches on this damn costume, and I’ve got paint fucking everywhere!”

Adagio shook her head and grunted in annoyance. “Fine, I’ll just lug these heavy crates myself,” She muttered irritably, wincing as the rough wood dug into her bare arms and belly. She bit her lip, barely choking back a swear as she readjusted her grip.

Ever since that night at Rarity’s she had been… distracted. Her mind could not stop turning over the thoughts that had been migrated there, circling her brain over and over like sharks in bloody water. The idea of seeing Rarity again, even after only a few days, filled her with an odd excitement. It troubled her to realize she had no idea how to deal with that.

And so, she found herself preparing for yet another of Sunset’s parties, this time clad in naught but her dancing veils. She had not originally planned on dressing up, but Rarity had insisted. It was a tradition after all and, well, Adagio found it oddly difficult to say no. Of course, so close to the holiday it would have been nigh impossible to find a suitable costume. Which of course left her with the veils.

It was hardly a sacrifice. The sheer, pink and purple costume had been specially made for her, and it complimented her body in all the right ways. None of the Rainbooms had had the privilege of seeing her in it yet, and she would be lying if she said she was not looking forward to showing off, just a little. Rarity’s attendance was only a bonus really. It had no bearing at all on her final decision.

None.

Unfortunately, regardless of her reasons for wearing it, the skimpy costume did her no favors in handling the rough wood of the crate. She grunted again, feeling her bra shift as she finally managed to get the box into a decent position. “You’d better not be getting paint on your carpet!”

“Yes mother,” Aria snapped.

Adagio rolled her eyes, carefully making her way to the hall. “Sonata, you’re going to have to get the door for me, I don’t have a free hand.”

“Okee dokee, Dagi!” Sonata replied cheerfully. Adagio rounded the corner to see her carefully cradling the blender in both arms, the power cord draped around her neck so as not to drag on the floor and trip her up. For the first time, Adagio got to see the costume Rarity had made for her sister.

It was elegant in its simplicity. A tight fitting singlet in a flashy golden fabric accented with a frilled skirt of the same material, it brought to mind the image of a professional Bridleway chorus girl, complete with black heels and fishnet stockings. Had she not already known better, Adagio could have easily mistaken it for the real thing. Rarity had really outdone herself. The elder siren could not help a brief pang of jealousy over Sonata being the one allowed to wear it, but it was quickly abated by the memory that yes, the other Pony Tones would be wearing matching ensembles. Adagio felt her heart rate quicken at the thought.

Sonata’s tilted her head in confusion once she noticed Adagio staring at her. Then her eyes widened, and she gasped. “Woah, that looks really heavy.”

“You think?” Adagio huffed, pushing away her distraction as she remembered the heavy box in her arms. She shifted its weight, readjusting her grip as best she could. She would not impress anyone with a broken foot. “Door, now.”

“You got it,” Sonata tried to salute, remembered the blender in her arms, and turned it into an affirmative nod. Giggling, she turned back toward the door and popped up on her toes to push the handle with her hip. Adagio narrowed her eyes, unable to help noticing the way her younger sister’s butt jiggled.

“Have you been putting on weight?” She asked suspiciously.

Sonata shrugged as she stepped out of the way, propping the door open with her foot. “I dunno. Can we gain weight?”

Adagio’s eyes narrowed in thought. “I hope not, that could be a problem.”

“Don’t be silly!” Sonata giggled, “it’s just a few pounds is all. It’s probably just because of all this human food we’ve been eating.”

“Perhaps,” Adagio said uncertainly. Then she shook her head. “Now is not the time to worry about such things. Can you get the next door, or are we going to stand in the hall all day?”

Sonata rolled her eyes good-naturedly, then turned her back to the door, pushing it open using the same method she had on the door to the sirens’ apartment. “Sunny!” She called, “We brought the stuff!”

“Great!” Sunset replied from somewhere inside, before stepping out to greet her neighbors. “You can set that up on the counter, Sonata,” She motioned toward the counter where her own blender was already set up. Her eyes widened when she noticed Adagio struggling with her heavy load. “Oh my gosh, let me help you with that!” She exclaimed, rushing over to take the end of the crate.

“Much- hah- appreciated, Miss Shimmer,” Adagio nodded in thanks as the two set the package down by the end of the counter. She groaned as she released the box, before bending back in an exaggerated stretch.

Sunset let out a low, impressed whistle. “Woah, that’s a lotta booze.”

“I have another crate as well, should we need it,” Adagio replied, taking a moment to readjust her top. “But I would rather not fetch it just now.”

“I don’t blame you,” Sunset said with a shake of her head. “That stuff’s heavy.” Chuckling, she cast a look over Adagio’s costume. The siren posed for inspection, a smile on her face as the girl took in the nigh transparent silks, the tight fitting thong and bandeau, the ribbons in her hair and the bangles on her arms, and the long stockings covering her legs.

“Like what you see?” She asked with a flirtatious voice.

Sunset grinned, but a slight blush tinted her cheeks. “Yeah, you look pretty hot, not gonna lie.” She laughed. “What else could I expect from the world’s most experienced seductress?”

“I will take that as a compliment,” Adagio said with a smirk, “And thank you. You are looking quite… scholarly, yourself.” She glanced over Sunset’s costume, a bright yellow blazer over a purple shirt and matching pants. A large sun pin graced her lapel, and a flowing wig of pink, green, and blue completed the look. “Really, Miss Shimmer? Celestia?” Sunset shrugged, smiling ruefully.

“Who’s here?” Someone asked from the back hallway of the apartment. Twilight Sparkle stepped into the living area, and she smiled when she saw the sirens. “Sonata, Adagio! I’m glad you could make it!”

“It wasn’t too hard, we only live across the hall!” Sonata said with a giggle.

Twilight returned the laugh, shaking her head. “Let me give you a hand,” She said as she noticed that the siren was having trouble finding an available outlet for her blender.

“Ah, I see now,” Adagio chuckled, her grin widening. Twilight was wearing a professional looking blouse in a light purple, on top of midnight blue slacks. Topping off the look were a two-toned wig in dark blues, and a small crescent moon pin decorated her collar. “Sonata, behave yourself. The principals are here.”

“Yes ma’am!” Sonata saluted.

“Good, I always appreciate a well-behaved student,” Twilight said in an imperious tone, before once again breaking down in giggles.

Smirking, Adagio turned her attention back to Sunset. “Congratulations on finally becoming an official couple.”

“W-what!?” Sunset asked, face going beet red, “What do you mean by that?”

Adagio’s grin turned predatory. “You’re wearing paired costumes. The only ones who wear paired costumes are twins, couples, and friends lying to themselves about being a couple.”

Sunset crossed her arms and gave Adagio a critical look. “Really, that’s what you’ve got?”

Adagio winked. “Call it a siren’s intuition.”

“Hey girls, blender’s set up,” Twilight said as she walked over to join them, brushing her hands against each other. “What’s up?”

“I was just informing Miss Shimmer that the two of you make a lovely couple,” Adagio said, her grin somehow growing somehow even wider.

Twilight’s face immediately flushed to match Sunset’s, and she whirled on her in embarrassment. “W-what did you tell her!?”

“N-nothing, Twi, calm down!” Sunset protested, raising her hands defensively. “She just made some major assumptions based on our costumes.” She fixed Adagio with a glare.

“Aww,” Sonata pouted, coming up behind Twilight. “That sucks, you two would be so cute together! Oh! If you do hook up, I can show you this really cool thing you can do with-”

Canwepleasestoptalkingaboutthis!” Sunset cried, burying her face in her hands. Behind her, Twilight’s glasses had fogged up from embarrassment. She bit her lip, hands mercilessly wringing at the hem of her blouse.

“Why Sunny,” Adagio said in a teasing voice, leaning over to pat the teen’s head affectionately, “This is only payback for that incident regarding Miss Rarity.” Never mind that her assumption may have been rather close to the mark after all.

Sunset folded her arms across her chest and muttered something under her breath before rolling her eyes and taking a good-natured swat at Adagio’s arm. “Alright, fine, I’ll stop meddling in your love life if you stop messing with mine.”

“So there is something going on!” Adagio laughed.

“NO!” Both Sunset and Twilight answered at once, only making Adagio laugh harder.

Sonata too was holding her sides in mirth. “Hehe- they-hey would m-make a great hahaha, a great pair!” She stuttered past the giggles.

Twilight looked to the younger siren with wide, betrayed eyes. “Et tu, Sonata?”

Shaking, Sonata wiped a single tear from her eye as she continued to hold back the laughter. “But it’s so tru-hu-hue!”

Adagio gave one last chuckle before wrapping an arm around her younger sister. “Alright, Sonata, that’s enough. We’ve had our fun.” Sonata nodded, still trying to suppress the last of the giggles. Adagio’s grin returned as she turned back to the not-couple. “But don’t blame me if I’m not the only one to notice.”

The girls shared an uncertain look, which amused Adagio to no end. Those two really were a couple of nerds. And so shy! What was the point of hiding it? The attempt was adorable, really.

The girls were fortunately spared any further teasing as the apartment door burst open in a blast of confetti. Pinkie Pie skipped inside, a dozen plastic bags swaying from each arm. “Hiya girls! I brought the party!” She giggled. “Literally! I got stuff for smoothies- bananas, and pineapple, and strawberry, and raspberry, and blueberry, and apple juice, and grape juice, and ice cream, and other stuff like sodas, and chips, and dip, and salsa- totally different from dip- and pretzels, and cookies, and cupcakes!”

“Howdy all,” Applejack greeted, trudging in behind her excitable friend. “Ah brought the ice.”

“Celestia,” Sunset swore, “I only have one cooler, guys! this stuff is going to melt all over my floor!”

“Don’t worry about it,” Adagio said, waving away her concern. “I’m sure we can find some space in our refrigerator for the time being, if you need it. It is just across the hall after all.”

“Thanks,” Sunset said with some relief. “Applejack, why did you get so much ice? There must be a hundred pounds!”

Applejack shrugged. “They had a two for one sale on the big bags. Ya can never have enough ice, ‘specially when Pinkie’s at the party.” She grinned. “Sides, Ah hear we’re making smoothies! Gotta have ice for smoothies!”

“Daiquiris, actually,” Adagio said with amusement, before correcting herself. “Well, homemade daiquiris.”

“She wants to put rum in the smoothies,” Sunset said flatly.

Applejack grinned. “Sounds like a party to me.” She shifted one of the fifty pound bags under her arm. “Uh, can we find a place for these? Ah don’t want ‘em to melt all over mah costume.”

“Yeah,” Sunset said, taking one of the bags with a grunt of effort. “You go ahead and put that one in the cooler, and I guess I can keep this one in the bathtub for a while. I doubt it will fit in Adagio’s freezer.”

“You are probably correct,” Adagio confirmed. “Sonata dear, could you help Pinkie sort out the groceries?”

“You got it Dagi!” Sonata replied.

Adagio nodded in satisfaction before turning back to Applejack. “Now, let’s get that taken care of, shall we?” Applejack returned the nod and the two of them began pouring the ice into the big red cooler Sunset had set out, layering in cans of soda and the occasional juice box.

As they worked, Adagio took the opportunity to look over Applejack’s costume. She wore her stetson as usual, but had exchanged her other attire for a long brown duster over a red shirt and dark pants. A costume gun belt hung around her hips, and she caught sight of a plastic gun handle in the holster. “So, cowgirl?” She asked with a smirk.

“Space cowgirl,” Applejack corrected.

It was hardly the most original thing the girl could have come up with, but then Adagio hardly had room to talk, wearing her own dancing costume to the party. And it did fit the farmer. “I like it.”

The cowgirl grinned. “Thanks. Ya don’t look bad yerself.”

Adagio winked. “I know.”

“Yeah, Ah bet it’ll really catch Rarity’s eye.”

Adagio blinked, and was surprised at the tingles that raced over her skin at the mention of the name. She turned to Applejack, who was giving her a knowing smirk. “Well played, farm girl. I see why Aria likes you so much.”

Applejack chuckled. “Ah just call it like I see it. The two of ya have been awful close since our meeting at Sugar Cube Corner.” She nodded toward Twilight and Sunset, who had returned from the bathroom. “Not as close as those two though. Don’t tell em Ah said anything, but they are real nice together.”

Adagio raised a hand to hide her giggle. “Agreed.”

==O==

“So Pinkie,” Sonata asked her pink friend. “Why are you dressed up like our creepy neighbor?”

Pinkie gasped. “You take that back, Sonata! Sunset is an amazing friend!”

“Pinkie!” Sunset protested, “She wasn’t talking about me! Why are you dressed like the weird guy down the hall?”

Pinkie pouted. “That isn’t very friendly of you,” She said sadly. “Maybe he’s nice if you get to know him.”

“Pinkie,” Twilight said, shaking her head, “He literally goes around wearing a shirt that says ‘JERK’ on it. I don’t think he wants to make friends.”

Pinkie rolled her eyes and grabbed a cupcake. “I’m gonna go over and say hi!” She was out the door before anyone could even try to stop her.

“Hey, what’s all the commotion?”A tired sounding voice asked from somewhere in the direction of Sunset’s bedroom. Sonata looked around in confusion. That sounded like a guy! Sunset didn’t have any guy friends! Or did she?

“Spike!” Sunset said with a grin, bending over to pick up something off the ground that Sonata could not see. “You enjoy your nap little buddy?”

“Oh yeah, it was the best!”

“Sunset,” Sonata asked in confusion, “Who are you talking to?”

Twilight smacked her forehead with her hand. “Oh my gosh, I never introduced you!? Spike, meet Sonata!”

Sunset turned around to reveal an adorable little puppy with purple fur and tufts of green hair on his head and ears. He looked at her with wide, intelligent green eyes. “Sup?”

Sonata screamed. “Ohmygosh ohmygosh ohmygosh! Why didn’t you tell me you had a talking puppy!?” in a flash she had snatched the little dog from Sunset’s arms and pulled it into a crushing hug. “You are the cutest thing ever!”

“Hey, hey, easy on the merchandise!” Spike squealed, wiggling in the blue girl’s arms.

“S-sorry,” Sonata apologised, loosening her grip, though not by much. “I’ve always wanted to meet a talking dog! Tell me all your secrets!”

“Well,” Spike said, “I have this really big milk bone that Twilight gave me! I buried it in her mom’s garden. But then I lost it! And I get in trouble every time I go looking for it.”

Sonata nodded sagely, setting Spike on the counter next to George the Cactus (who had donned a tiny, festive sombrero for the occasion) and lowered herself to Spike’s eye level. “Tell. Me. Everything.”

Meanwhile, Twilight turned back to Sunset. “Pinkie’s been gone a while, should we check up on her?”

Sunset cocked her head in thought, then shrugged. “It’s Pinkie, I’m sure she’s fine.”

Just then a loud cry echoed from outside the apartment, loud enough to be heard even with the door closed.

PIIIIIIIIIIIINK-IEEEEEEEEEE-PIIIIEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

==O==

Adagio’s eyes flicked toward the clock, idly wondering when Rarity would arrive. She and the other early arrivals had settled around Sunset’s living room, snacking on the various chips and drinks Pinkie had provided. Besides the overstuffed, second hand couch Sunset was lounging on with Twilight, there were a number of pillows and beanbags tossed around the room as convenient seating, as well as a well-worn, yet unbelievably comfortable recliner which Adagio had claimed for her own.

The six girls plus one dog were in no particular hurry for the festivities to begin; it was not exactly that kind of party. There were no real plans or procedures, just a bunch of friends hanging out, chatting and catching up on each others’ lives. Pinkie’s elder sister had found herself an apartment, and Twilight was well on her way to earning a full scholarship to Canterlot University, although she was still holding out hope for something more prestigious. Adagio hoped she would get it.

“So,” Adagio stated flatly during a lull in the conversation, “You’ve used magic to not only give yourselves super powers, but you even have a talking dog?”

The other girls besides Sonata exchanged unsure looks with each other, before Sunset nodded. “It wasn’t intentional or anything, but yeah, pretty much.”

Adagio groaned, slumping back in her chair. “If we had only waited a few more months, we could have been queens for life.”

“Well, not exactly,” Twilight interjected. “Technically, without your battle I may never have found the source of those mysterious energies, which would mean I never damaged the portal and caused the magic to leak out into our world in the first place.”

“Which isn’t necessarily a good thing,” Sunset added, “But it did bring us all together, so it’s not all bad, right?”

“I suppose you have a point,” Adagio conceded grumpily.

Applejack laughed. “Just cause ya found the power of friendship don’t mean ya don’t get to misbehave anymore.”

The siren smirked. “I suppose that’s true. In that case, Sonata, why don’t you start making some of those special smoothies?”

Sonata pulled a face. “I can’t believe you want me to ruin perfectly good smoothies with your nasty booze.”

Adagio rolled her eyes, before sticking out her lower lip in a pout. “Please Sonata, for me?” She asked, eyes widening with a pleading shimmer.

Sonata huffed, but got up and headed to the kitchen. “Fine. But the other blender is booze free!”

Pinkie jumped up and ran after her. “Ooh, what flavors do you want to make? We can do strawberry, banana, strawberry banana…”

Sonata giggled and continued the list with, “Blueberry, strawberry blueberry, strawberry banana blueberry…”

“Mango, mango pineapple, banana mango pineapple…”

The remaining girls shared a laugh at their friends’ antics. “You’re a bad influence, you know that?” Sunset asked, turning to Adagio. “Are all sirens like that, or is it just you three?”

Adagio smirked. “Considering the three of us probably are all the sirens, I believe the answer is yes.”

Sunset rolled her eyes, but failed to hide a grin. Suddenly her phone buzzed, and she pulled it out of her pocket and glanced at it. “Oh, can someone go let Rarity and Starlight into the building? I guess Starlight lent my key to Applejack.”

“Oh yeah, forgot about that,” Applejack said, pulling a shiny silver key from her pocket and tossing it to the redhead.

“Huh,” Sunset said, catching the key. “I guess I’m just so used to Pinkie being Pinkie that I never even questioned how you got into the building.” The others chuckled.

“Well,” Adagio said, “With that horrifying thought, I suppose I shall go let our guests in.”

“That eager to see Rarity, are ya?” Applejack teased.

“Hush you,” Adagio shot back, ignoring the giggles and guffaws from the rest of the room. “I will be back in a moment.”

“Hey,” Sunset said, tossing the key to Adagio, “Take this with you and slip it under the mat outside so Rainbow and Fluttershy can get in later.”

Adagio caught the key with a frown. “I am not a fan of leaving keys under doormats, Miss Shimmer. But I suppose I can make an exception just this once.”

“Yeah yeah, thank you for your sacrifice,” Sunset waved her off with a roll of her eyes. Adagio gave an exaggerated huff, but could not keep a smile off her face as she reached the door. Once in the hall, however, her expression became thoughtful. Applejack’s words rang in her ear. Did she know something Adagio did not? Sure, she had developed a fondness for the girl, but it was hardly as exaggerated Applejack seemed to imply, was it?

She remembered her own teasing, how she had guessed that Twilight and Sunset would eventually get together, even if they were still in denial about it. Could it be the same with her? Was love really so blind?

Before she knew it, Adagio had reached the bottom of the stairwell. The time for pondering was over. Rarity was there, just on the other side of the door. Adagio paused to collect herself, taking a moment to check her costume for any imperfections, and finally opened the door.

“Come in darlings! Welcome!”

“Adagio, darling!” Rarity smiled, pulling the siren into a brief embrace. Adagio shivered as the wind chilled coat made contact with her bare skin, but the hug was fortunately short lived. As Rarity pulled away, her eyes flicked over the sheer dancing garments. “My my, how daring! That costume is simply scandalous!”

“Isn’t it though?” Adagio smirked, striking a pose with her hip out and one hand behind her head. “I had hoped it would make an impression.” Rarity giggled, her cheeks tinted slightly pink, though whether from the cold or something else Adagio could not be certain.

Shaking off the thought, she turned her attention to the girl who had arrived with Rarity, the one Sonata had told her so much about a few nights ago. Starlight Glimmer gaped at the siren, her cheeks tinted a slightly darker pink than the rest of her face. While it was hard to tell with Rarity, that blush was definitely bashful.

Adagio giggled. Sonata was right, the girl did in fact bear a striking resemblance to Aria. “Starlight Glimmer, I presume?” She asked, sticking out her hand in greeting. “Adagio Dazzle.”

“Hi,” The girl said nervously, taking her hand. “Um, Starlight, but you already knew that.”

“Indeed,” The siren said with a grin. Then she shivered. The building was much colder on this level, out of reach of the central heating system and lacking the insulation of the upper floors. “Well, it’s a pleasure to meet you, but what do you say we get in out of this cold?” The others agreed wholeheartedly, and Adagio took a moment to slip the key under the outside doormat before following them upstairs.

As they walked, Adagio noticed Starlight’s costume, a long, flowing yukata in a pale blue. “So, Miss Glimmer, are you dressed as anyone in particular, or just a fan of Neighponese fashion?”

“Oh,” Starlight said, turning back slightly as she walked, “I’m supposed to be Mistmane, but I don’t have the hairpiece yet. Sunny was going to pick one up for me when she and Twilight got theirs. It was… kind of a last minute costume change.”

“Oh?” Adagio asked, intrigued.

“Yeah,” Starlight nodded awkwardly. “I had been planning to go as Starswirl, but… After meeting your sisters I decided that might not be the best first impression.”

“Just so,” Adagio nodded as they finally reached Sunset’s door. She opened it, ushering the others in. Starlight slipped inside, looking somewhat relieved to get away.

Rarity, however, stopped, pulling Adagio aside before they could reenter the apartment. “Something the matter, darling?”

Adagio pulled a frown, glancing back at the door. “I’m not sure. Something about that girl makes me uneasy.”

Rarity smirked. “She’s a little too close for comfort, perhaps?”

Adagio raised her eyebrow. “What do you mean by that?”

Rarity declined to answer, instead fixing her friend with a coy smile. “Just give her a chance, she really is a dear.” She turned to step into the apartment, before stopping to glance back at Adagio. “Are you coming darling?”

Adagio nodded, silencing her doubts. Whoever this Starlight Glimmer really was, Rarity liked her, so she could not be all bad. Adagio declined to consider what the implications of that might mean for herself.

==O==

To Adagio’s delight, her easy chair was still free when she returned to the living room. Starlight had joined Sunset and Twilight on the couch, and Pinkie and Sonata were still in the kitchen cutting up fruit for the smoothies. Adagio allowed herself to flop back into the chair with a contented sigh. It was like the throne she never had! Scooting back into the cushions, she reached down to the side to reclaim her can of orange soda from where she had stowed it earlier.

Her eyes could not help but stray toward Rarity as she stepped into the room, having shucked her coat near the door. Adagio’s heart picked up in rhythm as she finally saw the girl’s costume. It was everything she had expected. A tight, alluring singlet hugged her curves, identical to Sonata’s but in a pale, icy blue. She walked with an intentional grace and poise that would have turned every eye in the room, had the rest of the girls not already grown used to the fashionista’s antics. Adagio, however, had not. She blushed as she noticed the way her swaying hips swished the tiny skirt that hugged her waist, at how the sheer fishnets drew the eye to her perfect legs.

The siren was struck with sudden clarity. Oh gods, she really had it bad.

To both Adagio’s joy and agitation, that vision of beauty caught her eye and winked, scooping up a beanbag from the floor and dropping it down next to Adagio’s chair. Then she sat, exhibiting a grace Adagio would have never thought could be possible with such a chair. Come on, Adagio, laying it on a bit thick, don’t you think? And yet she could not deny it, the way Rarity moved, the way she dressed and acted, the way her eyes sparkled, the way her hair seemed to almost glow in the light.

Next to her Adagio felt almost… plain.

No, that was wrong. Rarity was a beautiful woman, but so was Adagio. She knew that, and a momentary lapse in thought was not going to change that. But Rarity was something special. Maybe she was prettier than Adagio, maybe not, but they were, at the least, equals. And Adagio, for the first time in a thousand years, perhaps the first time in her life, did not feel threatened by that.

“This is starting to become quite the gathering,” Adagio ventured with a smile, drawing her attention to the rest of the girls packed into the increasingly small apartment.

“Yes, quite!” Rarity agreed, smiling up at the siren.

“This is about how it goes,” Sunset laughed. “You should see when Pinkie hosts! Seven, sometimes eight girls all squeezed into her tiny little bedroom.”

“Sounds cozy,” Adagio chuckled.

“Say, speaking of, what’s up with Aria?” Applejack asked. “She is coming tonight, right?”

“She better had,” Adagio grumbled, casting a glare back toward her apartment. “Apparently she had to put some finishing touches on the costume she bought. She’s not one for big social gatherings like this, but she did promise me she would put in a showing.”

“I can sympathize with that,” Twilight offered with a self-deprecating giggle. She and Sunset were sitting rather closely, Adagio noticed with some satisfaction. “I don’t think I’d ever have come out of my shell if it weren’t for Sunny and the girls.”

“I was a bit of a loner myself,” Starlight chuckled uneasily. “Still am, to tell the truth. Not used to ponies- er, people, actually wanting to be around me.”

“Yes, I gathered,” Adagio said with a smirk. “So, what did you do?”

Starlight swallowed nervously. “W-well, I am currently studying under Princess Twilight as her, uh, ‘friendship student,’” She trailed off in embarrassment, remembering how Adagio’s sisters had reacted to the information.

Adagio rolled her eyes, waving away the explanation. “I asked what you did, Miss Glimmer, not what you do. ‘Friendship student’ is obviously the sentence, what is the crime? Necromancy? Grand Larceny? Jaywalking? What warrants personal remedial training from the so-called Princess of Friendship herself?”

Starlight squirmed in her seat, looking decidedly uncomfortable about the line of questioning. Rarity gave her a sympathetic look. “It’s alright, darling, we’re all friends here.”

“Yeah,” Sunset added, reaching over to give her friend a reassuring pat on the shoulder. “And if anyone could relate better than me or Twilight, it’d probably be her.”

Starlight sighed, ducking her head. Finally she spoke, voice barely above a whisper. “I uh, I brainwashed a bunch of ponies into giving up their cutie marks and nearly brought about the end of Equestria several times over.”

Adagio gave her an incredulous stare, then laughed, leaning back in her chair. “Girl knows how to have fun at least!”

“Whoooo wants smoothies?” Pinkie’s bubbly voice called from the kitchen. She appeared a moment later, her tray laden with red plastic party cups. Sonata followed her with a grin, her own tray filled with blue cups.

“Red is rum, blue is not,” Sonata informed them. “Pinkie’s got strawberry banana, and I have mango pineapple. Who wants what?”

“Ooh, rum for me, definitely,” Adagio volunteered, raising a hand.

“Ah’ll try one of them so-called daiquiris,” Applejack agreed, taking a red cup from Pinkie.

Rarity scoffed. “Dumping rum in a smoothie does not a proper daiquiri make. Nevertheless, I suppose I will give it a shot.”

“Umm, just mango for me please,” Twilight said with an awkward smile. “I don’t want to get too crazy.” Sonata giggled and handed her a blue cup.

“Yeah, I think I’ll hold off on the rum too,” Starlight said, taking another of Sonata’s cups.

Sunset laughed, “Well, I’m feeling adventurous, so I guess I’ll take the rum. Hit me up, Pinkie!”

“You got it!” Pinkie giggled. She and Sonata each took a mango and raised their glasses. “Cheers!”

“Cheers!” Everyone decreed, raising their own drinks in a fit of laughter and giggles. They all took a drink, making sounds of appreciation at the tangy-sweet beverages.

“Mmmm,” Sunset declared, “That’s really good.”

“Mine too,” Twilight nodded.

Rarity nodded begrudgingly. “While I disagree on the nomenclature, it is quite delicious nonetheless.”

Applejack chuckled. “Don’t be a stick in the mud Rares, just enjoy it!”

“Oh very well,” Rarity huffed. “This is an excellent ‘daiquiri,’ Pinkie Pie. And you too, Sonata.”

“Thankies!” Pinkie cheered.

Sonata beamed at the compliment. “You should really try one of the good ones though, without that nasty booze in it.”

Adagio chuckled. “You’re such a lightweight, Sonata!”

“Nu-uh!” Her sister shot back, sticking out her tongue. “I just think it tastes gross! Seriously, you fell in love with wine, but I couldn’t even get you to try tacos! Frikkin tacos!”

Adagio blushed self-consciously as the room shared a brief laugh at her expense. “Yes, well, I suppose some human foods have their merits.”

“You certainly seem to enjoy my Rocky Road,” Rarity teased, poking her stocking-clad foot with her toe. The siren blushed further, doing her best to sink back into her chair.

BANG!

Everyone jumped when the door to the apartment suddenly slammed open.

“Boom, baby!” Rainbow Dash announced her entrance with gusto, her long black overcoat billowing behind her, framing a rather dashing costume consisting of a black vest over a white shirt and loose black pants. Curiously, one leg of the pants had been torn away, revealing novelty tights that gave her leg a distinctly mechanical appearance. On her feet were a pair of heavy military style boots, and a gun belt similar to Applejack’s hung around her hips. “Captain Dash on deck!”

“H-hi,” Said a quiet voice behind her. Fluttershy peeked over Rainbow’s shoulder, trying to squeeze past her friend. “Sorry about your door, Sunset,” She apologized, glaring at Rainbow Dash.

Rainbow at least had the good graces to glance back, pushing the door closed sheepishly. “Heheh, yeah, sorry Sunny. Just trying to make an entrance.”

Sunset laughed. “Well you certainly did! Don’t worry, the wall is brick, it can take a beating. As long as the door’s alright you’re in the clear.”

“Although showing a bit of decorum when entering a room would not be remiss,” Rarity scolded, making her roll her eyes. The dressmaker shook her head disapprovingly before turning her attention to Fluttershy with a smile. “Hello darling, I trust this ruffian didn’t give you any trouble while you were driving.”

“Oh, um, no,” Fluttershy said, shrugging out of her coat and putting it with the others. “She was as well behaved as could be expected.”

“Hey!” Rainbow protested, “I’m right here you know!”

“We know,” Applejack said wryly, “Could hardly miss ya.” Everyone chuckled as Rainbow glared at her friend.

“Alright,” Sunset cut in with a laugh, “Let’s stop roasting Rainbow.”

“Thank you!”

“There’ll be plenty of time for that later.”

“Hey!”

Everyone laughed again, as Fluttershy patted her friend’s head apologetically.

“Hey Fluttershy!” Sonata called, popping out from the kitchen area to pull her friend into a hug. She pulled away after a moment, giving her a confused look. “Hey, waitaminute! I thought we were wearing matching costumes!”

Fluttershy glanced aside awkwardly, tugging at the collar of her sweater. “I, um, I am wearing it…” She said, twisting her toe into the floor. Despite being dressed in a plain sweater and sweatpants, she was wearing heels matching Sonata’s. Noticing the siren’s questioning look, she blushed. “It- it’s underneath.”

Sonata’s face scrunched up in thought. “That sounds like cheating.”

“Oooh, but it’s too embarrassing,” Fluttershy pleaded.

“Come on, Fluttershy!” Pinkie chimed in, joining the pair, “I bet you’ll look really hot like that!” Sonata nodded frantically, striking a pose to show off the finer points of the outfit.

“Yes, but, you see…” Fluttershy stuttered, looking desperately for a distraction, “Oh how cute! Spike’s trying to get a cupcake!”

“Really!?”

“Where!?”

Fluttershy slipped away while her friends were distracted looking for Spike. She made a beeline for Adagio’s armchair and crouched behind it, hiding herself between Adagio and Rarity.

“Fluttershy,” Rarity scolded, “You should have told me if the outfit was going to be too much for you.”

“I’m sorry,” The pinkette said, slumping her shoulders. “I thought I could handle it.”

“Oh, you are just too cute,” Adagio teased her. “Rarity, can we keep her?” She giggled as Fluttershy let out a startled squeak. “Really dear, there’s nothing to be ashamed of, it’s all in good fun. Besides,” She winked, leaning forward alluringly, “I’m not about to let you steal all the attention.”

Fluttershy giggled, despite her continuing blush. “O-okay, I’ll think about it,” She smiled. “I think I’ll change once everyone has settled down a little bit.”

Adagio grinned. “Good girl. We wouldn’t want Rarity’s hard work to go to waste, would we?”

Fluttershy shook her head, the smile still on her face. Nearby, Applejack and Rainbow Dash looked like they were about to square off, their eyes narrowed as they glared at their similar-looking costumes.

“Just what’re y’all wearing?” Applejack said, narrowing her eyes.

“I’m a space pirate, duh,” Rainbow Dash shot back. “What are you supposed to be?”

“Space cowboy,” Applejack shot back matter-of-factly.

Rainbow laughed. “There’s no cows in space!”

Applejack crossed her arms grumpily and scowled at the wall. “Not yet there ain’t.”

Rainbow smirked, before turning to Adagio. “Hey Dag, what’s cooler, pirates or cowboys?”

Adagio scoffed. “I never found either terribly attractive. They were both disgusting ruffians with no respect for personal hygiene. And don’t call me ‘Dag.’”

“Hear hear!” Rarity cheered, following up Adagio’s speech with a clap. “I couldn’t agree more!”

Rainbow and Applejack both rolled their eyes. “I should’ve known better than to ask those two,” Rainbow sighed.

“Yeah, we oughta ask Aria, she knows cowboys are superior to pirates!”

“Yeah right!” Rainbow scoffed.

“Um, I think they’re both cool, kinda,” Fluttershy said quietly.

“Hey Adagio!” Rainbow continued, missing Fluttershy’s comment, “Where is Aria anyway? I thought we were gonna hang!”

“She ought to have been here by now,” Adagio said irritably, glaring at Sunset’s wall clock. “I suppose I ought to go drag her out of her room.”

BANG. BANG. BANG.

The entire room froze, and everyone turned to stare at the front door. There was a moment of silence, as everyone waited with baited breath. Nothing happened for several long moments. The girls started passing around nervous looks, until Sunset finally pushed herself up off the couch.

“I, uh, I guess I’ll get that then…”

No sooner had she taken two steps then the door flew open with a resounding crash! A dark figure stood in the doorway, clad head to toe in dark, scorched armor. A tattered crimson cape hung from its shoulders, its face obscured by a menacing visor, the crest of the helmet rising in several long spikes arranged like a crown.

The figure took a heavy, deliberate step into the apartment, and everyone gasped as they noticed the very big, very real sword resting against its shoulder, clutched in the iron grip of its talonlike gauntlets. Low, guttural breathing emanated from the helmet as the figure stopped dead in the middle of the entryway, head slowly turning to take in all the occupants of the room.

No one moved, every eye fixed on the newcomer. In one motion, they grabbed the sword, flipping it around and burying the tip in the carpet. The figure reached up and pulled off the helmet, revealing a cascade of purple hair and piercing violet eyes.

“Kneel, my pitiful subjects,” Aria sneered.

The room was silent for several long seconds, before breaking out in laughter and applause.

“You, you got us good, Ari!” Sonata laughed.

“Holy shit, Aria,” Sunset continued, “You actually had me scared there.”

“That was fucking awesome!” Rainbow crowed.

“Thank you, thank you,” Aria bowed, grinning wildly. She straightened, throwing her hair back behind her head. “What do you have for grub around here? I’ve been working on this damn paintjob all day.”

“Sure thing!” Pinkie said, popping up next to her with a smoothie.

Aria grinned and took a gulp, before widening her eyes and taking an even bigger drink. “Holy shit, did you put rum in this!?”

Pinkie nodded enthusiastically. “Yuppers!”

“Wait, what!?” Rainbow cried, “You’re all drinking alcohol!? What the heck!”

Applejack chuckled. “Relax, Rainbow, it’s not a lot. And we’ve got ones without rum too if ya want.”

Rainbow turned to glare at Aria. “You did this, didn’t you?”

Aria laughed. “No, but I wish!”

“Actually,” Adagio coughed daintily, “It was my idea. I thought perhaps we could liven things up a bit.”

“Um, I think I’d like to try one, with the rum please.” Fluttershy said, an odd glint in her eye.

Aria grinned. “That’s the spirit, Fluttershy! We’ll make a party animal out of you yet!”

Pinkie frowned. “I don’t think you need rum to be a party animal…”

The siren smirked. “Maybe you don’t.”

Sunset raised her cup with a grin. “Come on, Pinkie, you heard the woman! Let’s have another round, what do you say?”

Pinkie stuck out her tongue at them, then turned with a giggle and headed back to the kitchen to make more smoothies for the new arrivals. Aria chuckled, then took a quick look around the room. She frowned. Being the last to arrive, most of the good seats were taken, and while she was not above slumming it in a bean bag, the stiff plastic of her costume demanded more convenient arrangements.

Adagio smirked, noting her sister’s consternation. “Come, Aria! You can sit on my lap if you like.”

“Up yours, Adagio!” She rolled her eyes, raising her hand in a rude gesture that, Adagio had to admit, looked rather impressive with the gauntlets.

“What are you doing?” Rainbow asked, noticing the odd motion.

Adagio smirked. “Well, depending on the culture, she either just told me to rot in Tartarus, or give up archery.” She gave the costume another once-over. “Given her attire, I’m assuming it’s the former.”

“Nice,” Rainbow chuckled.

“Here, Aria, there’s plenty of room on the couch,” Sunset said, scooting over to make room. Putting her even closer to Twilight, Adagio noted.

“Sooo…” Sonata said slowly, once everyone had settled down. She squinted accusingly at her sister, “I thought you hated Sombra?”

Aria rolled her eyes. “It’s called irony, Sonata. That’s what makes it funny.”

Sonata frowned. “I don’t get it.”

“You wouldn’t.”

“Wait, Sombra!?” Starlight exclaimed, “As in, King Sombra?”

“Not the pony one,” Sunset corrected, “I assume. That armor looks familiar.”

“It should,” Twilight said, “It looks just like the armor Lord Sombra the Terrible wears in his coronation portrait. Except, you know, plastic.”

“Spot on, Sparky,” Aria said with a smirk. “I had to make some… modifications to the set I got at that shitty costume store.”

“Honestly,” Adagio said, breaking into the conversation, “I’m more curious about how you still have that sword after a thousand years!?”

“She what!?” Both Twilight and Sunset asked, eyes wide with shock.

The rest of the room stopped, turning their attention fully to Aria and the rest. “Hold on,” Rainbow said, her eyes wide, “That’s a real sword!?”

Aria laughed at everyone’s shock, taking a slow, deliberate drought of her smoothie. “Chill out guys, it’s legit.”

“How!?” Twilight insisted.

“Yes,” Adagio continued, “I am also curious as to how you managed to get it all the way here. I thought we abandoned all our things when we left Ewerope.”

Aria grinned smugly. “We did. The estate finally went up for auction a couple months ago, and this was on the listing. Of course, they had no idea what they had, so I was able to get it for a pretty good price. Shipping and handling was a bitch though.”

“That’s kind of awesome,” Sunset admitted.

“I know, right?” Aria laughed.

Adagio cleared her throat. “Um, I hate to ask, but… did you happen to find anything else?”

Aria gave her a pained look. “Sorry Dag, I looked, but there wasn’t much left from our time. I think most of it was probably pawned long before the estate foreclosed.”

“I see,” Adagio nodded sadly. Rarity gave her a comforting pat on the knee.

“Can I... can I touch it?” Fluttershy asked timidly, looking at the ancient weapon.

Aria grinned and held it out to her hilt first. “Knock yourself out.”

“Just don’t knock any of us out!” Rainbow crowed as Fluttershy grabbed the massive sword in two hands and held it in a ready pose.

“It’s so light…” The girl said with awe.

Aria nodded. “Yeah, it’s an actual field weapon, they weren’t as heavy as people think. Doesn’t matter how good you are if you’re gonna tire yourself out with a heavy ass hunk of steel.”

“Can I try it after her?” Rainbow Dash asked excitedly, her eyes fixed on Fluttershy, who had stepped into a clear part of the room and was swinging the sword in slow, careful arcs.

“Rainbow, I swear to Celestia if you break something,” Sunset warned.

“Yeah yeah, I’ll be careful!” Rainbow waved her away. “So can I?”

“Sure,” Aria said with a roll of her eyes, “Everyone gets to play with my sword tonight.”

The room fell silent for a minute, all the girls just staring at Aria. The middle siren blushed, scooting back in her seat. “On second thought, I’m gonna need that back. Apparently I need to commit seppuku.”

“Oh don’t be dramatic, Ari!” Adagio said with a teasing grin, “I’m sure we’d all love to play with your sword.”

“Oh don’t you even start,” Aria grumbled.

Author's Note:

Well, this chapter is going up a day early. Why? Several reasons!
1: I am very impatient.
2: I have been sitting on this chapter for something like 2 weeks, and am tired of waiting!
3: Tomorrow may be really busy, so if I don't post now I might not be able to post until Saturday.
4: I mean like, really impatient.
5: I need to finish editing my entry for the Two-Faced Charade contest, and don't need to be worrying about this too.
6: Did I mention I'm kind of impatient?

As an added bonus, to celebrate my finally reaching what I consider the first major checkpoint of this story, have some Fun Facts!

Fun Fact #1: This story was originally planned as a crossover story between Equestria Girls and Dan Vs, in which the Dazzlings would wind up moving into Dan's apartment complex. I wisely decided to take it a different direction, but I kept Dan in as the unnamed neighbor down the hall as a tribute to that.

Fun Fact #2: In my original outline for this story (after I abandoned the idea of the Dan Vs crossover), this party was going to be chapter 10, and would have marked the midpoint of the entire story which I had projected to be about 20 chapters long. In other words, if I had stuck to my original draft, the next chapter would have been the end of the story. The Rarity shipping and the entire job search arc would not have existed, and Sonata would never have joined the Pony Tones.

Fun Fact #3: I... am nowhere near halfway done with this story :facehoof: That's probably more fun for you all than it is me :rainbowlaugh: