• Published 24th Apr 2017
  • 4,033 Views, 123 Comments

Spike meets Mimikyu - Zephyr Spark



While walking through the Everfree Forest, Spike comes across a ghost who needs a friend. But being near this ghost could kill him and all dragons.

  • ...
5
 123
 4,033

Chapter 9 Catastrophe

Author's Note:

To whoever reads this, thanks for your continued support.

When Twilight received Princess Celestia’s letter, she wasted no time in making her plans and gathering her friends. Soon, every pony with a Pokémon partner and Zecora assembled around the Cutie Mark Map in her castle. She cleared her throat and pulled out Celestia’s letter.

“Princess Celestia sent me a letter detailing places where rogue Pokémon run rampant, terrorizing local inhabitants. Based on the details she sent about each Pokémon, I’ve organized teams that I think will be best suited to dealing with each threat. Firstly,” she opened a scroll lying on the table, “Bulk Biceps, Brawn, Nurse Redheart, and Nurse Heart. I’d like you four to stay in Ponyville and deal with any new Pokémon threats.”

Nurse Redheart sighed and massaged her forehead. So much for a little vacation. Bulk Biceps gave his signature “Yeah” which was joined by Brawn’s proud growl. They wanted to keep working out. In Ponyville, they could exercise in relative peace. Twilight waited for them to quiet down before turning to Fluttershy.

“I want you and Jack to stay here too. I need you to scour Everfree and find that Bloodstone Scepter. Enlist whatever animal help you can, and don’t stop looking until you find it. The moment you do, return it to Ember immediately. We need to get her back in charge of the dragons.”

Fluttershy nodded, before turning to stroke Jack’s fluffy armed. The jack-o-lantern’s cheeks flushed and he chirped at her touch. A smile formed on Twilight’s face. How strange to think that the beast who abducted her friends could now become an ally. She turned to Rainbow Dash, “Rainbow Dash and Blaze will head to Cloudsdale. There have been reports of aggressive bird-like Pokémon that swarm in flocks and random inexplicable weather changes,” Dash started to nod when Twilight narrowed her eyes and stared into the pegasus’ eyes, “Now Dash, Princess Celestia wants me to get you to promise that you won’t go overboard. Please don’t destroy anything on accident or on purpose.”

“What kind of klutz do you think I am?” Dash exclaimed.

“One with no self-control,” Twilight muttered under her breath.

She was about to pressure Dash for a yes when the pegasus went into a rant how she would never destroy Cloudsdale because it was her first home and she never blew up a town trying to save it and Twilight was the one who blew up her library not her. Spike poked Dragon’s Lair on the Cutie Mark Map as he waited for Dash to burn herself out. Applejack yawned. She swore Dash threw tantrums that stole decades from every pony’s lives. She definitely felt older and tired after a mere minute. Many of her friends had similar reactions. Those who had not groaned or covered their ears were either bored out of their minds or Pinkie Pie. Blaze lifted his right wing to nuzzle his side with his beak. He had no interest in Dash’s outbursts. Even Scootaloo had to admit, these tantrums were one of Dash’s less awesome moments. Nurse Redheart slammed a hoof on the ground, sending an echo like a drum through the room. Dash’s mouth stopped its protests. The pegasus gave a meek nod and promise not to go wild. Twilight flashed an appreciative glance at Nurse Redheart before turning to Applejack.

“Applejack, Boney, Applebloom, and Pyro,” the Apple family stood at attention, “you’re all heading to San Palomino Desert. There have been reports of gangs of walking cacti roaming the desert at night, following ponies in teams and waiting for them to exhaust themselves. Ponies have seen these cacti in the middle of sandstorms along with other Pokémon, but the cacti are the most aggressive so they are your priority. I thought your fire Pokémon would do well against them. And I’m sending both of you because these cacti like to swarm by the dozens. There are also a pack of metal creatures with dagger blades for arms led by a tall red and black metal creature. You may end up running into them as well. If you do, then take care of them as well. They’ve been harassing travelers by the dozen. You’ll be fighting an army, so be careful.”

Applejack nodded. Applebloom would have trembled if not for her older sister’s unflinching determination. She nodded with her older sister. Pyro stepped closer to her side, reminding her that he would protect her. Applebloom’s worries lightened a bit.

“Applejack,” Twilight said, “are you okay with Applebloom coming with you?”

“As long as Pyro and Boney protect her,” Applejack turned to her partner. “Besides, we’re gonna need all the help we can get.”

Twilight reflected how lucky they were to have a mare like Applejack. She knew better than to fight an army on her own, and welcomed Applebloom’s help.

“I’m sorry to ask this of you, but when you’re both done there, I’d like both to head to Yakistan. There’s a beast living in a cave that freezes intruders solid and then eats them. There’s also a Pokémon that make illusions and control the ice. I know it’s a tall order, but you two have Pokémon with fire powers. I can’t think of a better counter to ice.”

“Did ya say it eats them?” Applejack’s eyes widened. “I’m not sending my sister against something like that.”

“I’m not letting ya go it alone,” Applebloom declared. “I want to back ya up, so ya don’t get hurt. Please, Jackie. I don’t want ya to get hurt cause I wasn’t there.”

Applejack sighed, “I know, I know. Fine ya can come. But we’re making a stop back in Ponyville before we go. I want Bulk and Brawn to give us some more back up. Matter of fact, if we’re going against an army, I’d like Bulk and Brawn to help us in the desert too.”

Twilight frowned, “I wanted to leave someone to protect Ponyville and I was worried Nurse Redheart and Nurse Heart wouldn’t be enough.”

“I’ll stay,” every pony turned to Scootaloo. “I know you don’t think Karp’s any good for fighting, so I’ll stay here and train him until he evolves. Maybe, he’ll get strong enough to help us.”

To her dismay, Twilight realized she forgot to consider Scootaloo or Karp in her original plan. She nodded at Scootaloo’s suggestion.

“Yeah!” Bulk flexed his bicep with Brawn, “Desert and snow training!”

The alicorn then turned to Pinkie Pie.

“Baltimare has reported a gang of Pokémon that go berserk on a rampage. They have white fury bodies and pig snouts. Some of them have tails and others have boxing gloves, but all of them have a bad temper. If any pony so much as looks at one of them, these Pokémon chase them until they’re caught. You and Sleepster will go pacify them with his hypnosis. I was going to join you, but I have to deal with a swarm of angry bats that keep raiding Yan Hoover and some venomous purple snakes in Galloping Gorge.”

“Sleepster and I can do it,” Pinkie Pie pumped her fist into the air. “And, hey, when this is all over,” she bounced, “I can finally throw a party to welcome all our new friends.”

“That’ll be nice Pinkie,” Twilight smiled. Watching the pink pony brimming with exuberance made the alicorn feel optimistic. She turned to Rarity and Starlight.

“There are some Pokémon similar to Gem-eye and Foxy in Starlight’s old village and Manehatten. That’s where you two are going. There’s quite a few Pokémon that haunt the place at night. In Starlight’s village, ponies report seeing a purple head with floating arms and a long tongue haunting Starlight’s old cave. They’ve also seen a walking pile of trash and purple sludge that cause an unbearable stench. Meanwhile, Manehatten’s food supplies are being raided by a pack of black and orange dogs that can breathe fire. There’ve been some light tremors as well that I’d like you to investigate.”

Starlight and Rarity nodded. Twilight then turned to Spike and Mimi. From the moment Twilight began breaking them into teams, every pony and Spike wondered what foul beast Mimi and Spike would face. Thanks to Spike’s training, Mimi seemed stronger than the other Pokémon. It only stood to reason that Twilight would send them to face the most dangerous foe. They all listened with intrigue.

“I’m sorry to ask so much of you, but there are two places I need you to visit: Dodge City and Appleloosa. These places have seen some of harder infestations. The forests of Dodge City are full of giant green spiders that have laid a system of webs, and a large brown, bear-like Pokémon that goes on a violent rampage, knocking down trees and houses and frightening a mess of other Pokémon out of the forest into the town, where they make a mess. Dodge City’s police force isn’t strong enough to deal with all of them. There are just too many Pokémon to list that I decided to save us all time and make a separate list of the Pokémon that ponies have seen. Just look at that on your way there,” Twilight lifted a glass from the table and gulped down three-quarters of the water.

She cleared her throat and continued, “A two-legged rhinoceros causes rockslides on Macintosh Hills that fall close to Appleloosa, creating huge dust clouds that leave ponies coughing. There are also mushroom creatures haunting their apple fields. One of them is a giant orange crab with a red mushroom on its back and the other is a tall pink mushroom. The two fight often, and the spores they release put anyone who comes close into a deep slumber or renders them immobile. Zecora has built cloaks that she believes will ward off the effects of these spores so you can get close. Now, I don’t want you to fight off all these Pokémon with only Mimi so Sweetie Belle and Buttercup will join you. I’ve contacted some friends in both towns. They’ve agreed to look after you both on this mission.”

She dropped her scroll and pulled out thirteen blue stones, that could fit perfectly in Spike’s palms. The smooth surfaces reminded Rarity of stones she would find on the riverbanks. Twilight passed the stones around and addressed her friends, “Zecora built several cages that should nullify their powers. Once you’ve taken a Pokémon down, pull out this stone, bring it close to your lips, and say ‘Starswirl is the best.’ That will bring the cage to you. Once you’ve gotten them in the cage, say ‘Friendship is magic.’ That’ll send the cage to Canterlot in a specially prepared dungeon.”

Rainbow Dash raised an eyebrow at the code words, but Nurse Redheart’s presence kept her quiet.

“Gather any supplies you might need, and meet back here in an hour. After that, we’ll all split up and go our separate ways. If all goes well, we should regroup in Ponyville within a week.”

Everyone nodded and filed out of the castle, except Rarity and Twilight. When everyone left the room, the white unicorn approached the alicorn. Her face was a confused muddle.

“Twilight, I don’t understand why you put Spike and Sweetie Belle on the same team. They’re both children. Shouldn’t they have someone older with them?”

“I made these teams with the Pokémon in mind, rather than the ponies. And I think Buttercup’s incapacitating powers could prove useful if something walls Mimi’s brute force. And if Buttercup’s weakening powers don’t work, then Mimi can use brute force. They just seemed like a logical team.”

Rarity admitted Twilight had a point, but she still could not shake a suspicion. She had feeling Twilight was withholding information.

“Even if they are a good team, I don’t like the idea of Sweetie Belle going off on her own.”

“Don’t worry,” Twilight smiled, “Spike’s gone to Canterlot by himself plenty of times. He’ll protect her.”

“But why are you sending her to the most dangerous places?”

“Honestly, every single place is dangerous. But Appleloosa and Dodge City will be safer because Mimi will be there.”

Rarity pursed her lips, “Twilight, is there something you’re not telling me?”

“What? No,” Twilight struggled to maintain eye contact. “Come on, every second we waste here, those Pokémon are running wild.”

Rarity shrugged and turned back home. Twilight sighed. She kept Sweetie Belle’s odd request. The filly wanted Spike on her team. Twilight managed to fulfill her request, but part of her wondered if she did the right thing.

“Sweetie, don’t let me down,” Twilight said to herself.

Spike ran through the list Twilight gave him once again with Sweetie Belle. In the privacy of their train compartment, the two could plan ahead as they neared Dodge City. Spike clutched his stomach. The train ride felt harder than usual. His side started burning, a light heat that intensified. He downed more Roseli medicine, careful not to awake Mimi as she slept leaning on his right shoulder. His brow furrowed. Thanks to Garble, he only had enough Roseli medicine to last three or so weeks. Zecora planted Roseli berries but they could take months to sprout. He felt someone tapping his left shoulder and glanced at Sweetie, who noticed his scowl.

“What’s up, Spike?” She asked him.

“Nothing.” He gave a terse response before returning to the list.

“You sure?”

Spike waved off her concern with a brief yes and continued down the list.

“You know you can talk to me? I’ll listen,” Sweetie said.

“I’d rather just focus on the list,” Spike responded without taking his eyes off his parchment. A white hoof spread over the paper and pushed it down to Spike’s lap, forcing him to look at the filly.

“I told you I’m fine,” Spike lifted his voice a bit. Sweetie retracted her hoof, and let him continue.

Buttercup stirred from sleep on her shoulder, but drifted back. He glanced at the filly and the drake through a single eye, wondering when they would talk and when they would fall in love. He remembered Sweetie’s request to go on a mission with Spike. She grew flustered when she asked Twilight for that favor. He assumed she wanted to explore her feelings about the purple dragon, and see if they could get along. Even Buttercup could see Spike had too many worries on his mind.

Sweetie Belle started to regret this decision. Thirty minutes on a train and they couldn’t hold a simple conversation. She reclined into the back of her headrest. The wood beneath the cushioned chair creaked. Spike glanced at the sound, and noticed Sweetie’s displeased expression. Her gaze focused out the window on the passing farmlands, the filly paid no attention to the list. Spike blinked, his light scowl did not change. Why was she acting so aloof? Despite his best attempts, he could not get her focus back on the list.

He rolled up the scroll, listing the rogue Pokémon. He decided to gaze out of the window on the compartment door, facing away from Sweetie. If she wanted to throw a fit, then that was her choice. The room filled with pregnant silence.

Mimi and Buttercup pressed into their respective partners’ shoulders. Surprised by the new weight, Spike and Sweetie fell over. Their heads bonked. Both of them grunted and rubbed their sore spot.

“Sorry,” Spike said.

“Me too,” Sweetie finally looked at him. “I hope you know that when I ask what’s wrong I just want to make sure you’re okay.”

“I know. And I appreciate that, but there’s a lot to worry about. I’m running out of Roseli medicine thanks to Garble, and I have no idea when the next batch will be ready. Talking about it doesn’t solve it.”

“I guess not,” Sweetie shrugged. “Then how about we think about something else instead?”

Spike felt a small smile creeping onto his face.

“We could play a game of twenty questions,” Sweetie suggested.

“Alright, I’m game.”

Sweetie grinned. She already had a few good questions in mind, but first she would start off with some questions Spike could easily answer.

“Who do you look up to the most?”

“Twilight Sparkle,” Spike did not miss a second responding. “My turn?” Sweetie nodded. Spike knew what he wanted to ask. “Craziest thing the CMC’s ever done to get a Cutie Mark?”

Sweetie Belle chuckled softly in her throat, “We all might disagree on that, but I’d say ferret-legging. We ran a race with pants stuffed with ferrets.”

Spike laughed so hard he snorted.

“If you could banish anyone to the moon, who would you pick?”

“Garble,” he said. “It’s not that he’s dangerous like Tirek, but if he were gone right now, my life would be easier. Who’s your favorite singer?”

“Hmm, that’s a tough one. I like the Buckstreet Boys and Coloratura. What’s your favorite thing about being you?”

“I get to hang out with awesome ponies like Twilight.”

“Aw, that’s sweet,” Sweetie smiled. She half-expected Spike to say something boastful.

“What’s your favorite thing about being you?”

“My friends, I guess. What’s the hardest thing about being you?”

“Not knowing who I’m supposed to be. I think about my parents sometimes, and wonder what they would have wanted me to be.” Spike frowned, lost in memory, “It was hard growing up. Whenever kids see me, they often think I’m a monster. Growing up I heard these stories about knights slaying wicked dragons, and I just learned to accept that deep down I was wicked. That the only reason I was any good was because I was raised by ponies.

“Next I’d have to say, feeling underappreciated. Twilight and her friends go on so many adventures and do so many amazing things every day. I usually stay at the castle and clean stuff up. Sometimes, it’s hard not to feel like I’m the spare wheel, you know?”

Sweetie rested a hoof on Spike shoulder, “I’m sorry.”

“It’s cool,” Spike put on a brave face, “So what about you? What’s hard about being you?”

“Being Rarity’s sister,” Sweetie’s answer startled Spike. “It’s not that I don’t love her, but sometimes I feel like ponies don’t look at me and see me, they just expect to see Rarity. But I’m not pretty or talented like her. Guys don’t line up asking me out like they do her. When I look at her and look at myself, I feel like I don’t measure up.”

“Wow,” Spike said. “I never thought about it like that. Sorry.”

“It’s fine. Anyways, it’s my turn. I want to ask something fun. If you could kiss anyone and get away with it, who would you kiss?”

Spike was about to answer Rarity, when a sly thought crossed his mind.

“Rainbow Dash. Mostly so I could have something to tease her about. Plus, I think it would hilarious watching Dash trying to be lovey-dovey.”

Sweetie Belle laughed, surprised by Spike’s witty answer.

Spike thought it only fair to return Sweetie’s question, “If you could kiss anyone and get away with it, who would you kiss?”

Sweetie felt woozy in her stomach. Her reddening cheeks betrayed her as embarrassed warmth rose in her body.

“Well,” she began. She swallowed and readied herself. After all, she planned this the moment they started this game. “You.”

Spike’s jaw dropped and his face reddened, “M-me?”

Sweetie nodded, clenching her eyes with apprehension. Moments passed like eternity before Sweetie dared open an eye. Spike’s face brimmed with a similar blush. His entire face seemed to have petrified. Panicked, Sweetie almost rushed to retract her confession when a smile burst across Spike’s face.

“Well, I appreciate the compliment,” he grinned, “thanks. It’s really nice of you to say that.”

“Oh,” Sweetie returned his smile, “you’re welcome.”

Spike asked another question, “Why me?”

“It’s just you’re a nice, funny guy, and I wouldn’t mind getting to know you more.”

“You don’t have to kiss me to know me,” Spike chuckled. “I mean look at us right now. We’re just talking but we’re getting to know each other pretty well.”

“Yeah, I guess so.”

“Anyways, it’s your turn.”

“My turn? Oh right! Um, let’s see,” she dipped her chin in thought, “would you like to hang out when this is all over?”

“You know it. My turn.” He kept that boyish grin as he asked, “What would the two of us do?” Mimi nudged his shoulder with a small mewl. “Alright,” Spike said, “the three of us.”

Buttercup tickled Sweetie with his antennae.

“Make that the four of us.”

On the Crystal Mountains near Starlight’s old village, a red dragon brushed away snowflakes from his scales and continued on his quest. Boiler and he followed the pink and white mare to this lonely town, hoping to find monsters of their own. An hour in the mountains had proved mostly fruitless for Garble. While they found beasts, none of them possessed the raw power to beat Mimi, or the traits to exploit her weaknesses. But one creature did.

They found it in a dark cave: a sword with a yellow hilt dotted with a single purple eye, sheathed into a yellow shield with three black holes in the center. Garble prepared for a fight. The creature regarded him with a single eye. It floated over to the red dragon.

Aegislash had supernatural powers that set him apart from other Pokémon. His kind served a long line of kings, and recognized worthy humans destined to become king. This dragon bore resemblances to several human leaders: proud, manipulative, desperate to make his race the strongest on the planet, charismatic, and capable of inspiring others. Perhaps not a good king, but a great king, perhaps. Aegislash unsheathed its blade, switched into its blade form. He floated over, put his black ribbon hand over his sword chest, and bowed.

Applejack’s team spent two days in the desert hunting down the walking cacti and metal creatures. Boney, Pyro, and Brawn decimated them in every fight. Still, something felt off. Twilight said there was an army of these cacti and metal things roaming the desert, but in their time here, they only found a dozen or so of these beasts. Pyro could no longer track them down with their scent. He would bring them miles through the desert hot on the trail, but then he would stop and look confused. The trail came to a stop, but the Pokémon were nowhere to be seen.

The group took break beneath the shade of an oasis. Their guide refilled their water and handed out a snack that none of them ever tasted. It was brown and wrinkled like a raisin and tasted salty, tough, but it sufficed. Applejack chewed down on her food, wondering how her friends were doing.

Buttercup and Sweetie Belle struggled, but the web only grew tighter. A dozen green spiders the size of her head darted in, their red fangs twitching with anticipation. Mimi bolted into the air, her claws flashing with frantic purple fire. The spiders fell to the ground. Many stopped moving, their eyes closed and unconscious, while three hardy spiders trembled to their feet. Mimi swiped in a broad arc and toppled the remainders. Spike emerged from the bushes and saw Mimi finished the job. He sighed with relief before turning his attention to the web binding Sweetie and Buttercup.

“Sorry we took a while. That black wolf thing was tougher than he looked,” he dug his claws into the web binding Sweetie like a straitjacket and sliced it with his claws.

Sweetie tried not to meet his gaze. Spike freed Buttercup and went to cage the spiders. She flopped her back onto the ground, exhausted and disappointed in her performance.

“Weird,” Spike muttered. “You’d think an angry brown bear would be easy to find.” He noticed Sweetie lying on the ground.

“Hey, are you okay?”

“Yeah,” she replied. “Freaking great. I almost got eaten by spiders.”

“I’m sorry I wasn’t faster.”

She rose to her haunches as Spike sat down beside her.

“No, you don’t have to apologize. I just wish I could actually help you.”

“You do,” Spike smiled. Sweetie tensed as his hand touched her shoulder. Spike retracted his claws from her fur, wondering if he messed up. “I’d be going out of my mind if I was doing this on my own. I’m glad you’re here.”

A smile formed on her face, “Thank you, Spike.”

Daring Do’s hunger and thirst enfeebled her body. Her throat swallowed spit that could not quench her thirst, and her stomachache knifed her abdomen. The complete darkness did not help either, obscuring her vision. The chain still clutched her leg. Its metal cold never left her mind. The only other thing she knew of were the damp bandages wrapped around her splinted, unchained leg and the cotton gauze around her swollen eye. She wondered who tended to her injuries. The only other being here was Mewtwo, but why would he care about his prisoner?

She had an escape plan. Her wings were injured, but they could carry her off the mountain at least. The nearest town was two days away. She could lay low there until Mewtwo gave up his search. But she had to break this blasted chain. She slammed the rock against the cuff with her remaining strength. Sparks flew from the impact, but the cuff only had a few dents. Two days of this, and it still refused to yield.

She sensed someone coming. She hid the rock, and laid down her head. A flash burst in front of her, and Mewtwo returned. She could feel his catlike eyes piercing her body, looking at her soul. She lifted her head towards him, acting as though she just woke up. To her surprise, Mewtwo levitated a silver tray that carried a bowl filled to the brim with lettuce and a cup of water. He rested the tray down before her.

Two days of hunger weakened Do’s weariness. She lunged into the food, not bothering with manners, and downed the water. After eating the last leaf, the tray rose into the air and vanished in a blast of light.

“Where’d you get that?” She asked, expecting Mewtwo to maintain his usual silence.

“The nearest town.” Mewtwo’s voice reverberated in her head without leaving so much as an echo within the stone prison. “I hope it was to your liking. I do not hunger or thirst, so I do not eat or drink. I have no idea what tastes,” he paused to consider his word, “satisfactory.”

“It was, thank you,” Do nodded.

“You want to know why I gave you food and water,” Mewtwo stated.

Do flinched. She scowled, wishing he would stop reading her mind.

“Forgive me,” Mewtwo said. His words were icy, and almost empty. “You’re a bargaining chip. Should your friends come, you will make them leave.”

“Is that really all?” Do rose to her hooves.

“You think I have any other reason to let you live?”

“I don’t know, I don’t care. This has been fun and all, but you’re cutting into my nap time,” Do tilted the brim of her hat over her eyes and fell back against the stone wall. “I’m guessing that’s something you don’t do either.”

Mewtwo was silent. He vanished from the cell, back to his lonely perch, feeling an odd admiration of the fearless mare.

The train pulled into Appleloosa. Braeburn waited in the station for Spike and Sweetie. As the two exited the train with their partners, he waved at them and walked over. Appleloosa had seen few arrivals on the train since the monsters went rampaging. He did not have to push through a crowd to reach the two. Some stallions took their luggage to their rooms in Braeburn’s house. They unpacked without much fuss.

The mushroom terrors, as the town came to call them, made the apple fields impossible to enter. So they were top priority. The two put on Twilight’s spore repellant suits. Gas masks amplified the sound of their breaths. Spike took advantage of this and impersonated a certain raspy sci-fi villain.

“Mimi, I am your father.” He pointed to the fairy ghost. She chirped, making a sound like laughter.

“No, Mimi,” Sweetie rasped melodramatically, “I am your father.”

“You’re a dude?” Spike gasped, “Oh, the treachery.”

“Indeed, for I am the one to rule them all with the power of the dark side. I, Sweetie Bro, am the only raspy, coughy dude allowed in this world.” She plucked a pillow from a couch and hoisted it into the air. “En garde, you scaly lizard!”

They would have had a glorious pillow fight if Braeburn hadn’t knocked on their door, asking when they would deal with the mushroom terrors. The two put back their pillows, swearing they would finish this fight, and went to the door. Spike rubbed a dull ache in his head. Braeburn explained how the creatures had been fighting each other for days now as he led the youngsters to the fields. The ponies of Appleloosa locked themselves inside to avoid the spores. Spike had difficulty listening with that strange buzz in his ears.

They reached the outskirts of the fields, and his body suddenly flared with pain. Daggered teeth gnawed Spike’s head. Heartburn seared his chest. The Roseli medicine could not stop the pain. He could not hear Sweetie Belle asking him what was wrong or hear Mimi’s cries. He could only fall in grey uncertainty. Tears poured from Mimi’s eyes. She tried to give him her life, but he would not respond. Sweetie Belle shook him, but Spike remained unconscious. His open eyes remained vacant, gazing past her into the cloudy sky.

Sweetie Belle felt Buttercup tug at her mane. The butterfly danced around in the air, gesturing to the fields. Although terrified, Sweetie took a deep breath and collected herself.

“Braeburn,” she said, “take Spike back to town. Whatever’s out there must be doing something to Spike.”

“But what about you?”

“Buttercup and I will handle the mushroom terrors,” she raised a hoof to silence Braeburn’s protests, “we don’t have time to argue. Every second we delay puts Spike in greater danger. Trust me. We can handle this.”

She and Buttercup bolted into the fields. Spike was counting on them. She could not fail him. They made their way to the epicenter of the spores, where the air was thick with yellow and purple specks. Shrill cries arose from deep in the fields that chilled Sweetie to the bone. She crept closer.

Two silhouettes emerged through the powdered mist. One was a domed red and white mushroom on top of an orange crab with bulky pincers and two white eyes; the other a flat top pink mushroom on top of a slender white stick creature with spindly arms. The two circled each other. Pincers scratched against pincers. Spores trickled from the pink creature. The crab shuffled forward, his beaked claws opened to sever the pink mushroom in two. A pink orb formed in front of the mushroom and flew towards the crab, knocking it back a few feet.

Sweetie glanced at Buttercup. The purple butterfly did a mystic dance, strengthening himself before the battle. Sweetie whispered to him, saying he should keep doing that and she’d say when to strike. The crab jostled forward, claws oozing with purple poison. This time, the mushroom was too slow to attack. Before the crab shred the pink mushroom into halves, Sweetie gave Buttercup the signal and he launched a vicious blade of air towards the mushroom menaces, striking them both. The two toppled to the ground in an instant, dazed by the blow. Sweetie rushed over and sent them off in their cages.

“Good job, Buttercup,” she smiled. “We took them both down without Spike or Mimi.”

Buttercup chirped in response. The two shared a private, well-deserved victory dance as the spores began to thin from the air. With the better visibility, Sweetie noticed a large scaly green dragon lying on the ground. His unconscious form, grey eyes, and feeble body reminded her of Spike. Her thoughts turned to the little dragon. Hopefully, he was better. They had to figure out what this new dragon was doing out here.

Garble gazed over their swarm of monsters. They found a cave full of giant blue bats, a pack of black and orange dogs capable of spewing fire from their jaws, a pair of giant blue rock beasts with orange-clawed tips, a pack of brown, angry monkeys with bodies of fur, and a living sword sheathed within a shield. In the desert, Boiler found a gang of walking cacti with dark green triangular hats that stalked travelers through the night and metal red and black creatures with sharp claws. Matchstick found a cave of blue bats, a nest of giant green and red spiders, and a tall, easily enraged brown bear with a yellow circle on his belly. Their army grew by the day, and trained with intense focus. Garble himself had grown fond of the sword and shield beast, naming it Knight, and kept it by his side. A steel beast would be perfect for destroying Mimi.

But even with all these beasts, it wasn’t enough. Garble felt there was something far more powerful than any of these beasts, waiting for him. A thought crossed his mind. The ponies mentioned a place where these things came from. Perhaps, he could find the monster he needed there. But it was a few days before they planned to attack Ponyville. If he wasn’t there leading the fight, he would miss the opportunity to destroy Mimi and become a hero to the dragons. Then again, Garble thought, it’s not like this sorry lot has a good shot at winning. He scratched his chin, and came to a decision.

He rose to his feet, “ I need to visit the Temple of Alterum. The ponies mentioned these creatures all came from there. Maybe, we’ll find more of them there. Boiler, Knight, you’re with me. Matchstick, stay here and lead the attack.”

“You want me to lead the dragons?” Matchstick blubbered. “But I can’t.”

“You know my attack plans, right? Just follow them and you’ll be fine,” Garble grinned, “Besides, there’s no one I trust more than you.”

Matchstick’s eyes widened, then he nodded. “I won’t let you down, Garble. I mean,” he bowed, “Dragon Lord Garble.”

Garble watched Matchstick run off to train his own slave with amusement. If the battle went poorly, Garble could rush in with a powerful beast and become the hero, turning the tide of the fight. If it went well, he could still appear with a mighty beast and decimate the ponies when they launched a counterattack. He would be the hero every dragon wanted as Dragon Lord. He tightened his grip on the Bloodstone Scepter and flew off towards the mountains followed by Boiler and Knight.

The first thing he felt was the dampness of tears on his scales. Then, Spike felt a cold presence latched to his chest. When he opened his eyes, he awoke to a pair of beady oval eyes staring directly at him. He managed a weak smile, stopping the endless tears of desperation falling from her eyes onto his scales. Mimi trembled; her entire body quivered. She pressed her onion head against Spike’s head, wrapped her ribbon claws around his head, and cried with joy. Her partner was not gone. He did not leave her. She felt his right hand wrapped around her.

Spike saw her pain. Her eyes seemed to weep Mimi thought she lost you.

“I’m fine,” Spike scratched the back of her head, brushing the tips of his claws on her tarp-covered onion head.

Please, don’t ever leave Mimi again. She wrapped him tighter in her arms. Mimi loves you. She could never go on without you.

“I love you too, Mimi,” Spike rose to his chest.

He noticed the Roseli medicine lying on a desk next to his bed and took a swig. He learned not to choke on the bitter taste but a scowl tightened across his eyes. He dangled his legs off the bed, prepared to dismount when Mimi let out a whine like a whimpering puppy. The yellow rabbit pressed her body onto Spike’s back. Tears continued to trickle from her face. He sat on his knees and faced his friend.

Spike. What happened to you? What made you sick? How can Mimi stop it?

Mimi did not like Spike’s silence. His eyes fixed on her, seemed to hide a secret. A smile crept across his face.

“It must have been that sandwich I ate on the train,” he said with a nonchalant shrug, “it disagreed with me. And it’s nobody’s fault but the sandwich.”

Bad sandwich. Wicked sandwich. Hurting Spike. Mimi’s eyes narrowed and she sharpened her claws. Mimi will destroy all bad sandwiches. They will pay for hurting Mimi’s partner.

Spike studied her grim expression. He chuckled and then his laughs filled the room. He clenched his sides, heaving with giggles. Mimi seemed puzzled by his sudden joviality. She glanced at him perplexedly.

“It’s nothing,” he said between giggles, “I was just imagining you going to war with sandwiches.”

He laughed more, imaging Mimi fighting a swarm of sandwiches, traveling to the ends of Equestria to vanquish any food nuzzled between to slices of bread. She could be Mimi, the Sandwich Slicer, living a double life as mild mannered Mimi by day and a sandwich slaying hero by night.

Mimi had no idea why Spike was laughing. If she had to, she would gladly destroy every sandwich to keep him safe. At least, she supposed, he was happy now. His laughter dimmed and the drake was left beaming at his little friend.

“Seriously though, don’t go blaming every sandwich just because one disagreed with me. They can’t help it if they make me sick,” he realized the double meaning implicit in his statement as he sat beside the dragon-slaying Mimi.

What’s wrong?

“Oh, it’s nothing. I was just thinking.”

Mimi seized his hand between her ribbon claws. She looked him straight in the eyes with unwavering resolve. Mimi wants to help Spike. Next time, she’ll eat bad sandwich. She’ll get sick for Spike.

“It’s fine, Mimi,” Spike shrugged off her concern. “Anyways, I’m the one who couldn’t take it.”

Please. Let Mimi protect you. Her eyes watered with fresh tears. Spike is partner, the most important person to Mimi. Your life more important than Mimi’s. She’d give up her life to protect you.

Spike stared into her eyes, “Well, that’s going to be a problem,” Mimi blinked, “I’d give up my life for you first.”

No! Mimi shook, her eyes kindled with sparks of fear. Mimi can’t lose Spike. Life without you isn’t life. Life without you wasn’t life. Don’t die for Mimi. When you die, Mimi die too.

“Then I guess I’ll have to do my best not to die,” Spike pat her head. “You’ve got plenty of ponies who’ll love you. Twilight, Fluttershy, heck, all of Ponyville adores you. They’d be there for you.”

They’re not you.

He felt a quiet fill the room. Spike’s throat twisted into a knot. His vision blurred with the first traces of tears, but he could still see Mimi. She fell into his scaly chest. Her ribbon arms wrapped around his body in a fierce embrace that spoke worlds of devotion.

Promise Mimi you’ll never leave her.

Spike swallowed his tears and returned the embrace. With that, he returned her promise.

“You’re family. I could never leave you.”

A knock on the door forced them to break from their embrace. Sweetie and Buttercup entered the room, the masks of their suits removed.

“Who were you talking to?” Sweetie asked.

Spike frowned, indicating he did not understand the question.

“I thought I heard you talking to someone, but you and Mimi are the only ones here.”

Spike shrugged, “I guess I was just talking to Mimi.”

“She can talk?”

“No, not exactly,” he searched for a way to explain how he felt like she could talk in her own little way. “I just felt like she was doing things that you know, basically said stuff. It was like,” he lightly pursed his lips and slightly shook his head, “talking to a pet. You know they get what you’re saying and you just get them. Anyways, what’s up?”

“Buttercup and I dealt with the mushroom terrors.”

“On your own? Wow. Way to go.”

Sweetie grinned, “Oh, it was nothing. They never saw us coming. But that’s not what I’m here to talk to you about.” Her face took on a grave expression, rife with apprehension that made Spike shudder.

“I found a dragon in the fields. He woke up a little while ago and tried to get away, but Buttercup stunned him with some spores or something. It took us three days, but today, he finally talked.”

“A dragon? Out here? What was he doing?”

“Following us,” Sweetie said. “The moment everyone split up for this mission, dragons followed each of us. Your old friend Garble has been stealing Pokémon we’ve been looking for.”

“Garble?” Spike grimaced. “First he steals the Roseli medicine and then he does this? That jerk’s up to something.”

“He’s gathering an army,” Sweetie exclaimed. “He wants to invade Ponyville and destroy Mimi!”

Spike bolted upright. He rushed to a desk and tried to send a letter to Princess Celestia. The moment his flames touched the letter, it burned into ashes that fell to the floor.

“That’s not supposed to happen,” Spike said.

“What does it mean?” Sweetie grabbed his arm.

“I don’t know. But we’ve got to warn Twilight, like yesterday.”

“Spike, there’s something you should know,” Sweetie tapped the tips of her hooves, “you’ve been asleep for two and a half days now. Everyone’s probably back at the castle already.”

“Then we need to move.”

Spike and Sweetie raced towards the train station, forgetting their luggage and any other rogue Pokémon running around Appleloosa.

Garble and Boiler practically dragged themselves the last mile up the cliff, their wings sore from two days of flying. Knight showed no sign of fatigue, largely due to its lack of an actual face. Boiler found the sword and shield beast unsettling. It had an unnatural way of following Garble without making a sound. It did look like it could slice the dragon-killer in half, but it sure spooked him.

Garble and Boiler heaved themselves onto the plateau. All around were buildings and towers of ancient times, and in the center of the town, Garble could see a mighty temple with tall spires. He clenched his staff and crept through the streets, wary of each shadow. Ever since they came to the mountain, he felt a strange sensation that was not sight, touch, smell, or taste, but something different, as though someone—or something—gazed into the corners of his mind.

“I don’t see any more of those things,” Boiler’s voice broke the silence and Garble flinched. He almost turned to smack Boiler, but settled for demanding silence with a claw over his lips.

Knight nudged Garble, alerting him to a new presence in the air. He could sense something watching them, but could not tell from where. Until Boiler went flying through the air into a building. Garble grabbed Knight by the rim of its shield and pulled it into an alleyway.

“You came looking for strong Pokémon.”

A sharp voice echoed in his head, clear as though it was his own mind talking. He glanced around, searching for the source. His body went rigid. He and Knight levitated a foot of the ground in a mysterious violet aura. The aura pinned them against the wall. Garble squirmed, but his muscles would not respond. A bipedal figure stepped out from the shadows. His feet did not touch the ground as he floated towards Garble and Knight.

“You found the strongest Pokémon ever created.”

Garble remembered his goal to save his kind from Mimi and found the will to speak, “I want to make a deal.”

Mewtwo’s eyes flashed blue. Images of the past few days flew through Garble’s mind. Mewtwo stood without making a sound. He glanced at Aegislash and skimmed through his mind as well.

“Aegislash only serves kings or those he believes will be great leaders,” Mewtwo seemed to falter, the blue light in his eyes dimmed. “Why did he choose you?”

“You mean Knight?” Garble’s eyes turned down to the creature in his claws.

“He must have seen potential in you,” Mewtwo’s eyes flashed blue for almost five seconds. “How intriguing. We are more alike than I realized.”

Mewtwo dropped Garble and Knight to the ground.

“Speak. I will listen.”

Twilight tapped her hoof impatiently on the Cutie Mark Map. Applejack’s team returned a day later. Their train was delayed by storm. Spike and Sweetie Belle still had not returned from their journey. The drake and unicorn took their sweet time getting back. Twilight’s face looked stormy. She had grave news for every pony. Every pony else had returned but those two and she could not delay this any further. She called every pony to attention by clearing her throat.

“I’m afraid I have some bad news,” she said. “What I say here cannot go beyond this castle, or we might cause a panic. Princess Celestia sent me a letter stating she and Princess Luna can no longer control the sun or moon.”

“What?” Starlight’s voice rose above every other pony.

Twilight rose a hoof asking for silence and continued, “They believe there’s an imbalance threatening the magical order of this world. One so powerful it’s disrupted their magic and rendered them weak.”

“What do you mean by ‘imbalance?’” Rarity frowned.

“There’s something in our world that doesn’t belong. And the logical answer is the Pokémon. The imbalance spreads like a wildfire wherever the Pokémon are present, which is throwing off the natural world.”

“But it’s not a big deal, right?” Applejack asked with hope, “Will it pass with time?”

Twilight shook her head gravely.

“What’ll happen?” Applebloom said with wide eyes, “If Princess Celestia can’t raise the sun we can’t farm our apples.”

“It’s worse than that,” Applejack put her hoof on her sister’s shoulder, “plants everywhere will die without sunlight.”

“There’s a bigger problem,” Twilight sighed. “And thankfully, Spike doesn’t know about this yet. I think he’ll be the one to take this the hardest. I’ve been talking with Princess Celestia about the consequences of this imbalance and they’re horrific to say the least.”

“Twilight, you’re scaring everyone,” Nurse Redheart said, “What’s going on?”

Twilight took a deep breath. She glanced at Wiz. The violet cat took position by her side, nestling his round face into her ribcage. She opened her mouth to speak, and forced the words out.

“If we don’t put the Pokémon back in their world soon, our world and their world will bleed through the barriers separating us. Our worlds will then collapse, crushing every reality between until Equestria collides with the Pokémon world. Neither will survive the impact. Every living thing on both worlds will perish. We have to send every Pokémon back through the mirror at the Temple of Alterum. Once they are all gone the worlds will stabilize,” Twilight dipped her head in defeat, “but the barriers between our worlds will reform even stronger to prevent another crossing. I’m afraid our dimensions will never cross again. We won’t ever be able to see our friends again.”

The room filled with painful silence. Every pony thought of their loved ones and their beautiful world. But their partners were so close to their sides. Rarity glanced at Gem-eye. Her heart could not bear to part with this friend she trained and fought alongside. His white diamond eyes glistened like stones damp from the river.

“Surely there must be some other way?” Rarity suggested.

Twilight’s head dipped to the table. “If there is, we don’t have the time to find it. We have at most two or three days to find the remaining Pokémon and get them home before the catastrophe.”

“Aw mane,” Rainbow Dash grumbled. “I just got my partner and now I have to say goodbye? It’s not fair.”

“No,” Twilight agreed, “it’s not. I’m afraid it will be especially hard on Spike. Saying goodbye to Peewee was difficult for him. Saying goodbye to Mimi,” her voice trailed off, as the image of a heartbroken Spike pierced her heart. “But I’m afraid if we want to save them, we have to let them go.”

“Spike would definitely object to sending Mimi away,” Starlight said. “He wanted Mimi to feel loved and welcome in Ponyville. I don’t think he’ll let you send her away.”

“Spike is mature enough to consider the safety of the world,” Twilight responded. “I’m just not sure Mimi will understand why her friends are sending her away.”

Wiz growled. The other Pokémon responded in a single chorus. Fluttershy’s eyes began watering.

“Wiz said that he’ll go away if it’ll save Twilight. Everyone else said they would too.”

“Blaze,” Dash sobbed, “you do care!”

Dash wept uncontrollably, tackling Blaze with her hooves. The brown bird stiffened, uncomfortable with her wet embrace. The bird’s face reddened, embarrassed he ever said a word. He tried to bend his head from the pegasus’ muzzle, but her grip was too strong.

Applejack turned to Boney. A mountain of pain weighed down on her heart. Boney placed a comforting hand on her shoulder. He gave a short nod, blinking as he dipped his head. Smiling, the mare placed her forehead against his.

“No matter where ya go, you’ll always be family.”

Foxy transformed into an identical copy of Starlight and smiled. He leaned forward and kissed her cheek. All around, the ponies made identical farewells to their partners, hugging, crying, and promising to meet again some day even though they knew they never would.

“Fluttershy,” Twilight said, turning to the yellow pegasus, “did you find the scepter?”

The yellow mare stuttered, “Oh, well, uh, I,” fidgeting with the tips of her hooves. She wore a disheartened expression.

Twilight quickly smiled and spoke in a gentle voice, “It’s alright if you didn’t find it. We can all look together.”

“I did find it, but,” Fluttershy’s gaze, already focused on the table, drooped even further, “Jack and I were attacked. He ambushed us and took the scepter.”

“What?” Dash released Blaze from her stranglehold, “Who did it?”

“A pack of black dogs with orange muzzles attacked us. They bit and scratched poor Jack as he protected me. Then, a metal creature shaped like a sword and shield took the scepter. Once it got away, the dogs ran away,” Fluttershy pursed her lips and sniffed, “I couldn’t do a thing.”

“It’s alright,” Twilight placed a hoof on Fluttershy’s shoulder, “we’ll get it back.”

Fluttershy nodded but did not reciprocate Twilight’s glance or optimism. The pegasus tried to recall the direction that the creatures fled.

“Excuse me, Twilight,” Starlight said, “but shouldn’t getting every last Pokémon be our focus? Or else the world is done for.”

“Yes, well.” Twilight’s shoulders sagged, “I’m not sure we can find them all in two or even three days. We’d need years just to find every last one. And I’m sad to say I couldn’t get all the Pokémon I was after. I found far fewer than the number reported. I couldn’t even find some of the Pokémon on the list.”

“Same here,” Applejack said. “Ya said we’d be fighting an army in the desert, but we only found a dozen or so. Couldn’t even find the ice fellas up in Yakistan.”

“Starlight and I couldn’t find all of our targets either,” Rarity frowned.

“And there were hardly any of those angry monkeys,” Pinkie Pie added. “Where’d you think they all went to?”

“I’m not sure. I’m not even sure how we’ll get through this,” Twilight admitted.

The castle doors burst open. Spike and Sweetie Belle raced into the castle, panting and sweating as though they ran all the way from Appleloosa. Panic streaked across their faces. Spike and Sweetie explained everything that happened and the invasion. Every pony was now on edge, imaging an army of dragons and Pokémon approaching their town. Twilight listened carefully until Spike finished the story. The moment he stopped, she put a hoof on his shoulder to steady him. Then, she turned to the rest of her friends.

“We have to prepare counter-measures immediately.”

“But what about the other Pokémon?” Starlight asked, “We haven’t caught them all yet.”

“No,” Twilight said, “But we have to protect Ponyville. No point in saving the world if we don’t have a home to come back to. Anyways, I’m willing to bet the dragons took all the Pokémon. We get them, maybe we’ll get the rest of them.”

“Can we really afford to take that gamble?” Rarity said, wondering how Twilight would tell Spike about the eminent destruction of their world.

“We don’t really have another choice. Starlight, Rarity, Fluttershy, Spike, you’re with me. We need to come up with a plan to beat these things. Everyone else, evacuate the town. Let’s move, every pony.”

Mewtwo’s eyes daggered though Garble’s scales. The air around Mewtwo whirled.

“You ordered the dragons to destroy a Pokémon?”

“It could kill all dragons,” Garble exclaimed. “The ponies can’t have a power like that. They could control our future.”

Mewtwo stared at Garble. He narrowed his eyes. He blinked them shut. The wind stopped. He opened his eyes once more.

“If you help me, I will order them to spare Mimi. But you have to send her back to wherever she came from, so she can’t hurt dragons anymore.”

“I could wipe out your dragons in an instant.”

Garble had a feeling that Mewtwo was not boasting his power; simply stating the facts. He swallowed.

“What’s to stop me from doing so?”

Garble had a new thought. His body ceased trembling and his eyes lost all traces of fear.

“Those ponies. I’m assuming you’ve got one of their friends. She came to this temple sometime last week, but never came back. What was her name again?” He gave a sidelong glance, “I believe it was Daring Doo.”

Mewtwo said nothing.

“And I know you can read minds, so I’m sure you’ve seen what those ponies are like. You know that they have powers you can’t begin to understand. And you know it’s only a matter of time before they wonder why Daring Doo never came back and they come to the Temple of Alterum themselves.”

Mewtwo’s frown deepened. His scowl sharpened. Garble could tell Mewtwo had realized all of this a long time ago.

“They’ve beaten foes who can turn the world on its head with the snap of a finger. United, their magic is unstoppable. And don’t think that beating them will end it all. Their princesses raise the sun and moon every day. And when they come with their Pokémon army? I’m not sure how you’ll manage.”

Mewtwo’s tail lashed, knocking out a chunk of bricks from a stone hut.

“But if you launch a preemptive attack with an army of dragons and Pokémon? You just might be able to stop them. But you know that won’t be enough to stop them from attacking you.

Garble circled Mewtwo, “Stop the ponies in Ponyville and you’ve beaten great threats, but defeat their princesses at their capital and they’ll never invade this place again. And if you agree to help me take back Equestria, I swear that you shall be left alone on this mountain. I can even ask every dragon to pay you tribute every year if you wish.

The red dragon shrugged, “I know I don’t have the power to make you agree. But you already know a fight with them is inevitable. You can face them with or without an army. If you’d prefer the latter, I suppose you’ll find yourself where they put every Pokémon they can’t use. A cage.”

Mewtwo bristled. Nightmares of needles and cages flooded his mind. He could not, would not go back. Garble came eye level with Mewtwo. The two stood a few feet apart.

“You remind me of a man I once knew,” Mewtwo’s mouth did not budge but Garble could hear the words in his head. “He offered me power, but only wanted to use me like a tool. I know better than to trust promises by your kind.”

“I know what you could do to me,” Garble replied. “I’m not stupid enough to think I could double cross you and get away with it.”

“Silence,” Mewtwo’s eyes flared and Garble forgot how to speak. His mouth would not form words, remaining stagnant on his face.

“As much as I dislike you, I can’t look at you and not see myself. You would go to any extreme to protect your kind. You know your ideals make you the only one suited to lead your race. And you have seen the cruelty of humans, or in this case, ponies. Nightmare Moon, Sombra. For all your wickedness, you have your own twisted sense of justice. You can’t help but wonder why they deserve to rule when they constantly throw the world out of balance.

“Now I understand,” Mewtwo turned to Aegislash, floating loyally by Garble’s side, “what Aegislash saw in you; your vision, your desire to make dragons stronger, free from ponies. He feels your fear that your kind will die out to this Mimi or become pony slaves.”

Silence filled the ruins, save for the stifled breaths of a terrified mare. Daring Doo pressed her ear on the wall inside the hut. Her heart pounded in her ears.

“Perhaps,” Mewtwo sounded wistful as he gazed into the clear blue sky, “perhaps there are some worthwhile things in this world. Traits that you and that mare demonstrate. Courage or perhaps foolishness, justice, loyalty, or maybe stubbornness.” His gaze hardened, “But I am not a part of any world. I was created to fight. And fight I shall to keep a place in this world so Pokémon do not live behind bars and dragons do not harm Pokémon.”

Mewtwo waved a hand, restoring Garble’s ability of speech. The dragon rubbed his thumb and claws along his jawbone, stretching his mouth and lips. He looked up at Mewtwo who now floated feet above him.

“Lead me to the place called Ponyville. I will fight your war.”