• Published 24th Apr 2017
  • 4,059 Views, 123 Comments

Spike meets Mimikyu - Zephyr Spark



While walking through the Everfree Forest, Spike comes across a ghost who needs a friend. But being near this ghost could kill him and all dragons.

  • ...
5
 123
 4,059

Chapter 11 They Cannot Stay Together

Three dragons unleashed their flames at Mimi. But the flames never touched her. Spike leapt in front of Mimi shielded her with his flame-resistant scales. She then bolted from his protection and knocked out all three dragons with a single play rough. She raced to her partner to ensure he was unharmed. Before she could so much as squeak, Spike wrapped his arms around her. He didn’t care if the fairy flu was killing him or burning his body. Ever since Mimi acted as bait to lure out the dragons, he had been worried sick. He was terrified when they were separated by a wave of dragons and had been searching for her ever since. He scoured all over for her and kept getting attacked by dragons and Pokémon alike. He had to fight his way through a pack of walking cacti just to find Mimi. Good thing plants hated fire. Now, he just wanted to hold his partner forever.

But they both knew better. The dragons and rogue Pokémon still outnumbered them, and most of the Pokémon and ponies were exhausted even with Nurse Heart’s healing powers. Worse still, the dragons still had some powerful Pokémon that were overwhelming them with ease. The bears kept plowing through their ranks, the rhinoceros Pokémon created earthquakes that knocked them all over. No one had the strength to beat them. Dragons kept attacking Mimi and prevented her from getting anywhere near either Pokémon. She couldn’t help. Spike knew Twilight made excellent battle plans but unless they beat those Pokémon, they could never win.

A mighty roar bellowed across Ponyville. Spike and Mimi turned towards the noise. A giant blue serpent with massive jaws weaved across the sky towards Ponyville. Spike narrowed his eyes and shielded them from the sunlight. He could just make out an orange thing clinging to its back.

“No way,” Spike gasped, “is that Scootaloo?”

Sure enough, he could see the orange pegasus clinging to the serpent’s back. They lighted down in front of Spike and Mimi.

“Scootaloo, what is that?”

“What?” Scootaloo smirked, “Don’t you recognize Karp?”

Spike’s jaw dropped, “That thing is Karp?”

Scootaloo nodded, “He evolved. We both want to help out. Tell us where we’re needed.”

Spike pushed away his amazement and turned his attention to the battle, “There’s a rhino Pokémon giving us trouble by the railway and some bear Pokémon tearing up Syrup Street.”

“We’re on it,” Scootaloo patted Karp’s side and the two barreled into the sky.

Karp landed just outside the railway, where a bipedal rhino stomped the ground. Karp opened his mouth and unleashed a hydro pump at Rhydon. The water hit like a vengeful geyser, fracturing the earth where Rhydon once stood. When the water cleared, Rhydon no longer stood at all. He lied in a pathetic, sopping pile on the ground.

“We’ve got dragons at one o’clock,” Scootaloo shouted.

Karp glared at the dragons flying towards him with their puny weapons. Under Karp’s fierce glare, they felt powerless and foolish for daring to oppose this beast. Karp flicked the end of his tail, creating a small twister that knocked the dragons out of the sky. Four Houndours used flamethrower on Karp, but their smoldering flames simply irritated him. His tail lashed out, enveloped with water, and toppled them as well as a few Boldores and unlucky dragons.

“Scootaloo!” Rainbow Dash’s voice pierced through the chaos. The orange pegasus turned and saw her idol hovering nearby, mortified by the massive serpent.

“Heya Dash,” Scootaloo waved, “what do you think of Karp?”

“Wait, that’s Karp?” Dash’s jaw dropped, “That dumb fish evolved into that?!”

“Love to talk, but we’re needed elsewhere,” Scootaloo said, “We’re going to go clean up this mess.”

Karp bolted into the sky towards Syrup Street. Dash stared as the massive serpent carried Scootaloo through the clouds. A smile found its way onto her face.

“Way to go, Scoots,” she whispered.

Karp scattered the pack of Ursurangs with an aqua tail. He crunched a dragon in midair, shattering its iron armor to dust before spitting it out to the ground. A swarm of Mankeys rushed towards Karp in a mad frenzy. The serpent roared. His tail beat the air, creating rapid, sharp winds that sucked up every last Mankey into the sky. The spiraling hurricane launched them into the sky. Gravity pulled them back down with brutal force.

Karp propelled his serpentine body forward by riding the wind. His fangs imbued with cold, seized a Boldore, The rock Pokémon fell silently from Karp’s jaws. He charged into a swarm of dragons, bowling them over with ease. With a single swing of his massive tail sent, dozens of dragons went flying past the horizon. He unleashed another blast of water into the streets, knocking dozens enemy Pokémon and dragons out of Ponyville in a single attack.

A dragon, the size of a building, bellowed a torrent of fire at the water serpent, engulfing Karp in a furnace. But the flames cleared, and Karp did not even flinch. There was not a single singe mark or ash on that blue body. The filly on his back was unharmed as well. Scootaloo had a feeling that Karp could have darted out of the way of that attack. She wondered if he saw no reason to waste energy dodging the dragon’s feeble attack. Maybe Karp wanted to show the dragon the futility of fighting him. The dragon’s heart hammered in his ears like a death drum, as Karp’s crimson eyes revealed the furious blood that now boiled through his veins. He surged forward and seized the dragon’s neck between his icy fangs. The dragon let out a miserable scream. Karp tossed him aside.

By now, every dragon and pony had taken notice of the titan. The dragons realized victory was a childish dream unless they beat that monster. Spinaraks, Ariados, and every last dragon charged Karp at once. The dragons flew, brandishing knives and clubs of iron. Spinaraks and Ariados clicked their venomous fangs. Karp took a deep breath, and let them come closer. He reared his head to the sky and opened his mouth.

A shine from his lips drifted to the center of his mouth, forming a tiny white sphere, bright as a sun. The earth seemed to shake, the air roared like a caged animal. The orb in Karp’s mouth grew to the size of three stallions.

“You’ve got this, Karp,” Scootaloo pat his side. “Show them who’s boss.”

Karp lowered his head, aiming his sphere at the approaching enemies. A beam of light burst from his mouth, so powerful it deafened all nearby as it carved a path of destruction. The beam engulfed every last dragon, Pokémon, building, in an instant and flooded onward to devour every tree, and hill in its wake. The beam dissipated, leaving a trail of unconscious victims, shattered buildings, soured trees, and untold property damage.

“Good job,” Scootaloo stroked Karp behind a white fin on his head, “but next time, let’s try not to overdo it.”

Karp grumbled apologetically with a voice of thunder.

“No, it’s okay. We just got to be careful.”

The dragons began to flee. Karp did not pursue them. Steam and smoke poured from his mouth. He needed a minute to recharge. But not a single dragon wanted to face that terrifying monster. Soon, every dragon fled Ponyville. Twilight and Wiz appeared at Scootaloo’s side. Every pony and Pokémon ally gathered to her and the mighty serpent. She explained how Karp grew strong to protect them, taking particular delight with the dumbfounded expressions of the ponies who once belittled her partner. At Twilight’s beckoning, the pegasus dismounted Karp and joined them on the ground.

“We saved Ponyville. You know what this calls for?” Pinkie Pie threw confetti into the air and shouted, “A Party!”

“Sorry, Pinkie,” Twilight said, “That has to wait. We need to gather up every last Pokémon we can.”

“Come on, Twi,” Spike sighed, “we just beat back an army of dragons. I’m sure that deserves at least a little party.”

“I’m afraid we don’t have time.” Twilight turned to address every pony, “We need to get every Pokémon to the Temple of Alterum right away. It’s a matter of utmost importance. Anyone who can move, please bring as many Pokémon as you can find to Town Square.”

“Okay, but why?” A mare asked, “Can’t we have a breather?”

“Take some time to rest, but then I would like all of you to help me, please.”

A few ponies began pushing the nearest Pokémons, some unconscious Golbats and Spinaraks to Town Square. Twilight tried not to notice Spike’s quizzical expression or how Mimi clung to his side. Starswirl help me, Twilight thought, I’m going to break their hearts. She turned to Spike.

“Listen, Spike,” she began, “there’s something you should know.”

Spike’s expression did not change but he nodded, urging her to continue. Twilight took a deep breath, trying to consider the best way to frame her speech.

“I know you love Mimi. We all do.”

The towns ponies murmured their assent of agreement.

“Mimi saved us from those timber wolves,” Lyra exclaimed.

“She totally wiped the floor with them,” another pony added.

“Yeah, she’s awesome. We made her the school mascot.”

Twilight raised her voice above the crowd, “Yes, I know. But please everyone I need to speak to Spike alone.” The alicorn teleported them back home to their castle entrance. She went inside and closed the door behind them. Twilight ushered them to the Cutie Mark Map and asked Spike to sit down. The dragon sat on the chair, and Mimi jumped onto his left armrest. Twilight reclined on her haunches so she could look him in the eyes.

“Spike,” she wrestled with a painful knot in her throat. “You remember that Power Ponies movie I took you to see a few weeks ago in Canterlot?”

“Yeah,” Spike nodded, perplexed that Twilight brought up that movie now.

“Well, you remember that I had to give up going to a lecture that I really wanted to see? So we could see the movie.”

“Of course,” Spike said. He felt an uncomfortable apprehension in his belly. Every fiber of the alicorn looked pained and saddened.

“I gave it up because I wanted to make you happy. Sometimes, we have to give up things we want for others. So they can have happiness.”

“Like I returned Peewee to his parents?” Spike asked. His shoulders sagged at the memory.

“Yes, exactly,” Twilight nodded with some difficulty. “Peewee belonged with his parents. He couldn’t be happy here.”

“Why are you bringing this up?” Spike placed himself between Twilight and Mimi, “And what does this have to do with Mimi? You sound like you don’t want her around anymore.”

Her response was immediate, “No, Spike. I want Mimi to stay with us. She’s saved our lives time and time again. Without her, I could have lost you to those timber wolves. But,” the alicorn’s chest felt heavy, her body lost all energy.

“Stop right there,” Spike balled his fists. “If you’re worried about the fairy flu, don’t. I can take it. And once we deal with Garble, we won’t have to worry about these raids. It’ll work out. You’ll see.”

“It’s not any of that,” Twilight’s protest fell on deaf ears as Spike continued.

“And hey, once the Roseli berries start blossoming, we can get the medicine to every dragon. They won’t have to feel sick anymore.”

“Spike,” Twilight interrupted him with her firm voice. “Let me say something.”

“I will,” Spike said, “Anyways, I can’t leave her. I made Mimi a promise. I promised to never leave her. And if I broke a promise, I’d be a pretty lousy friend.”

“Mimi, isn’t the problem Spike,” Twilight put a hoof over his mouth to silence him. “The problem is these Pokémon are having an effect on our world. One that goes beyond physical.”

Spike frowned.

“And unfortunately, Mimi is a Pokémon like the rest. She’s also affecting the world in a bad way.”

Before Twilight could explain, the castle doors burst open. Rainbow Dash and Applejack rushed into the room, supporting a malnourished Daring Do between their shoulders. The explorer had baggy, frantic eyes. Meager bandages wrapped around severe injuries. Twilight had several questions on the tips of her lips but Do shook her head to silence her.

“Ponyville’s in danger,” she gasped, “Garble’s coming with the most powerful monster to end us.”

Twilight’s eyes widened, her heart skipped a beat. She had to plan another defense. Do seemed to guess her thoughts.

“Please, don’t fight it. That thing is more powerful than anything in our world. It can read your mind, brainwash you, or leave you as a vegetable just by waving its hand. Our only hope is to evacuate.”

“I’m afraid that’s not an option,” Twilight said. Do recognized the stubbornness in her eyes. She could not dissuade Twilight. “Rainbow Dash, AJ, get every pony back to the shelter. Tell everyone to get ready for the hardest fight yet.”

Twilight took Do from Dash and Applejack, who raced outside. The alicorn brought Do to a chair. The explorer resisted Twilight’s offers of food and water, insisting her information come first.

“He’s different from the others. He can talk like anyone of us.”

“Do you think he’ll listen to reason?”

Do pursed her lips in consideration.

“If I asked him to listen to me, do you think he would let me speak?”

Do recalled Mewtwo’s cruelty tempered by small kind gestures. She nodded.

“He’d probably just read your mind,” She said with a pinch of irony, “but he would listen. You have to know something else,” Do took a ragged breath, “he isn’t natural. Some insane people made him to be the strongest. He claims that means he doesn’t have compassion.”

“You don’t believe that, do you?”

“Not for a second,” Do did not hesitate to respond. “Anyone who spares you twice when they could destroy you must feel something.”

Twilight heard a scream from Ponyville, accompanied by a large crash. Do’s face turned ghostly. Her eyes widened and her lips trembled.

“He’s here.”

Twilight teleported Spike and Mimi to where the sound originated. Karp was on his back, his eyes dazed and confused. Beneath him, there was a crushed line of buildings. Karp lifted his head to glare at the creature that pushed him down. Twilight saw the creature called Mewtwo, hovering in the sky beside Garble and a sword and shield creature. The army of dragons returned, but they looked like zombies. Their limbs drooped to the ground, their eyes looked greyed and lifeless.

“Twilight, look,” Spike whispered in a shaky voice, “Garble has the Bloodstone Scepter.”

Twilight’s heart sank when she saw the wicked dragon holding the scepter. He was Dragon Lord now. He could force every dragon to come to Ponyville and fight, even those who were injured in the prior fight. Worse still, he could undo all of Princess Ember’s efforts to unite ponies and dragons in a second. And now that the Princesses Celestia and Luna lost most of their powers, they could not stop him.

Mewtwo regarded Twilight and Spike through cold eyes. Spike’s legs buckled as those eyes brought a world crashing onto his shoulders. Damp sweat trickled down his head. His mouth went dry. He wanted to tear his gaze from those eyes and run.

“Steady,” Twilight rested a hoof on his shoulder, “Our friends are here.”

Every ally Pokémon raced to Twilight’s side with their pony partners. Spike looked among them and could only find Jack and Fluttershy missing, though he had a feeling this was not out of cowardice. No doubt that explosion left Jack with severe injuries. Spike gripped Twilight’s hoof and faced Mewtwo. Mimi sharpened her claws. Pyro issued a warning growl, standing firmly in front of Applebloom. Bulk and Brawn tensed and relaxed their muscles. Rarity stood next to Gem-eye, unafraid. Karp only kept himself from attacking those dragons thanks to Scootaloo’s calming presence. Buttercup’s glassy wings flittered as he began a war dance. Rainbow Dash and Blaze hovered in the air, ready to strike in an instant. Every one of them was prepared to fight to their last breath.

Twilight lifted a hoof and ordered her friends to remain back. She took a step forward, closing the gap between the dragons and ponies. The psychic cat Wiz matched her partner’s steps. Spike and Mimi never left Twilight’s side as they walked towards certain destruction. They stopped, in the middle of the street.

“Mewtwo, Garble,” Twilight said, “Please lend me your ears for a moment.” Garble felt annoyance that she refused to address him as Dragon Lord, but held his tongue. Mewtwo was silent for a moment. He descended to her level. Garble dropped down, but kept himself a head above Mewtwo.

“Mewtwo,” she began, “I know you and Garble have no reason to believe anything I say. So read my mind, and see the truth. I beg you. See the danger facing our worlds should we fail to act immediately.”

Mewtwo’s eyes turned white-blue. Twilight felt small under those eyes, even with her friends close by. His eyes made her feel as though every eye in the world could see her every memory. She felt insignificant, looked down upon by a deity. Only Spike’s presence reassured her, keeping her calm and collected.

A breath much like a gasp escaped from Mewtwo. His eyes flashed. Garble and Knight saw everything Mewtwo saw in Twilight’s mind. Mewtwo’s eyes lost their glow. When his pupils returned, they seemed less cold than before.

“I understand,” a deep voice rang in everyone’s head like the hum a massive bell. “We cannot fight. Not when the fate our worlds and the countless lives hang in the balance.”

“You’re serious?” Garble muttered. He slipped to the ground, overwhelmed by the images. “All of that if we don’t put them all back?”

“Yes,” Twilight said. Spike could only wonder what had them so concerned.

Mewtwo lifted a hand, “I can send them all back to the Temple of Alterum. We can return home before the catastrophe.”

“Wait a minute,” Spike could not help himself. Mewtwo stopped his gesture and glanced at the drake, “What are you talking about?”

Twilight sighed, “I was trying to tell you this before Mewtwo arrived.”

Mewtwo sent Twilight’s memories into Spike’s mind. The drake saw Twilight consulting with scholars, scientists, and all manner of magic. He saw her conducting an experiment, solving an equation. Then, he saw her telling her friends about the imbalance. Tears welled up in his eyes as Twilight explained the only solution. Spike staggered back.

“No,” he whimpered. He looked at Twilight, “Tell me it’s not true.”

She could not. She could only watch as her little dragon cried. Mimi studied his face. She could not understand why Spike cried.

“I promised Mimi,” Spike said through heavy gasps. “I’d never leave her.”

Twilight could not respond. His head bowed, Spike’s tears fell onto the grass. He clenched his eyes shut to hold back the tears. Then, he balled his tiny fists.

“I promised Mimi. I won’t break my promise,” Spike opened his eyes and looked at Mewtwo. “I won’t abandon her. I’ll go to her world.”

“Spike, no. You could never come back,” Twilight said, “Do you know what you’re saying? What about your home here? What about Ponyville?”

Spike’s tears never stopped. His body quivered.

“You can’t leave me, Spike,” Twilight grabbed his shoulders. “You’re my home.”

Spike knew she was right.

“And if you went to their world, you would cause more imbalance. Our worlds would still be in danger.”

“Do you think I’ll stand for this?”

Garble’s raspy voice silenced them. Mewtwo glared at the red dragon, fully aware of his thoughts.

“You’d sacrifice our world, just so you could be with that thing?!” Garble jabbed a claw at Mimi. She hissed, tensing like a cat with an arched back.

“And you,” Garble turned his gaze to Twilight, “don’t think you’ve fooled me. Given time, you’d find a way to bring that abomination back. Only this time, dragons wouldn’t have any Pokémon to defend themselves.”

Garble waved his staff. The dragons surrounded them.

“This only ends when that demon dies.”

Mewtwo was about to flood Garble’s mind with nightmares and brainwash him, when he heard screams of pain. His head swiveled. Some dragons took Mankeys, Spinaraks, and Cacturnes hostage, threatening to burn them with their flames. Mewtwo’s eyes widened.

“Sorry, Mewtwo,” Garble said. “I never wanted it to come to this, but I have no choice. You’re going to help me destroy Mimi and then we’ll return every last Pokémon home.”

Mewtwo scowled, his body trembled with fury. He bowed his head. He turned around. And launched a psychic attack at the ponies.