• Published 23rd Apr 2017
  • 2,318 Views, 10 Comments

A Shard of Lightning - Holomorn



The Scarlet Speedster flashes across lands of Equestria.

  • ...
1
 10
 2,318

2. The Betting Disaster

~FLASH~

Chapter 2: The Betting Disaster

Back at the Tree house, or what’s left of it, Twilight had her face down in front of the two regal princesses that govern Equestria. After what had happened, the unicorn could only wince under the eyes of her mentor Celestia, the pristine alicorn of the sun, who stared at her prized apprentice with a sneer of disappointment.

“So let me understand, you, Twilight Sparkle, received my gift of trust and attempted to cast use a spell only the grandmasters of old history have done, which known for being extremely dangerous to tamper with... because of a bet?” Celestia cast a solemn glance as she spoke.

“I-I’m sorry Princess, I didn’t mean to, I was just…” Twilight tried to clarify herself when Rainbow Dash zipped in.

“I-it was my idea, your highness. I convinced Twilight that there’s no magic capable to replace any Pegasus as awesome as me” She blurted, chest high in the unicorn’s defense. In truth though, Rainbow Dash glanced around quite anxiously to avoid the princess judging glare.

Celestia shook her head slowly, “I appreciate you standing for your friend Rainbow Dash but am I afraid Twilight has made a dire mistake in her judgment this time”

“A dire mistake indeed, there was a reason why each pony race worked together in history to survive. Each time they attempted to work on their own the results would end quite, unsatisfactory...” Added Princess Luna as she inspected around, “Still, it baffles me, what exactly happened here?”

Looking outside through a hole on the wall, Luna and the others saw the remains of Ponyville. The entire town was in shambles, buildings were torn down, entire ceilings crumbled down into stands and several ponies were found attempting to salvage what’s left of the outcome. Twilight’s tree house for instance was also damaged as all branches and leaves were washed away, leaving only a hollow trunk with broken windows and torn roofs for a library.

Twilight gulped thinking the event, “I… don’t know. When I cast the weather spell, everything was going just fine for a second, but then...”

~FLASH~

A sparkle sprouted forth in the sky, and from it, a large thunder boomed out in an instant. It was so loud that it’s sound shock wave blasted forth, deafening and blinding the three of them on spot. The clouds that were once condensed exploded in a rush, flaring a maelstrom of lightning bolts everywhere along with raging turbulent winds to scar the sky whole.

Twilight and the others who were the closest in the epicenter felt the strongest impact. All of them were practically sent flying out, blasted away by an force of nature gone rampant.

Under danger, the unicorn reacted on instinct, her horn flaring alive some magic shield as reflex to encase herself. An electric storm surrounded Twilight, who hugged the ground itself while maintaining her magic just to survive. Spike however was without luck, being thrown into air just outside the shield’s reach along with Rainbow Dash. The force of the explosion sent both of them spinning wildly into air with the wind currents dragging their bodies away in a mad stall.

While caught off guard and confused, the Pegasus was the first to recover. Quickly regaining her senses, she angled her wings in a way to balance and stabilize her position midair. Narrowing her eyes, Rainbow Dash peeked out her surroundings only to see herself inside a massive cloud of lightning breaching it’s sparks in roots everywhere.

“Somepony heeeeelp!!” A scream echoed, the tone of a childish boy completely frightened. Spike was being helplessly catapulted several miles away.

“Hang on, Spike!” Without even thinking, Dash just rushed, adjusting the suppressing wind currents in her favor to snatch the little dragon away from danger. She zapped through, dodging a few bolts and then, “Gotcha!” She zapped in with him caught on her back, slicing the air away. The pegasus then, shifted her direction to fly upwards beyond the cloud line to escape the thunderstorm shaking around them.

“Uff, thanks...” Muttered the little dragon dizzy and weakened. Rainbow Dash would answer something but shut her mouth as her eyes widened in sight from top of the clouds.

Being that high on the view, they both could see how the storm grew and spread even further, going as far to go beyond Ponyville into the horizon. Like an avalanche, the leftover clouds that remained were flickering with energy sparking inside in a mix of gold and purple hues as well as a small tinge of red somewhere. It was a spectacular sight, both beautiful and frightening at same time, a terraforming explosion of both weather and magic that would shock Equestria whole in a invasion.

“Wow….” Both of the could stare at awe when the thunders flared, slowly but surely, until the clouds went calm, leaving only a grim gray wall of the skies beneath.

Back on ground, Twilight’s desperate shield dissipated and the unicorn quickly coughed her lungs out. Her strained to see through the resulting dust clouds from the fallout, too hard to breath any clean air, too dense for any light to pierce. Standing up to her hoofs, the first thing that came in her mind was to find her friends.

“Spike! Rainbow Dash!” Twilight yelled their names out loud, searching the area over and over. It was then that panic began to rise in the lone unicorn, her heart pumping intensively as she felt distraught about what happened. What was that thunder explosion? Was it her spell? Did she lose control or it was just a misfire? If so, how did it happen? More importantly what about her friends? Are they okay?

“Over here!” Two voices answered together, hear ears perking up. Twilight’s mind was thrown into endless questions to a point she was about to faint when a rainbow trail poke a hole in the sky and darted at her direction.

“Rainbow Dash, Spike! Oh thank goodness. Are you two okay?” Twilight called out running at them and inspecting both in a rush. The cyan pony just arrived, dropping Spike at her feet before shaking her body whole. Her coat was a little messy and dusty but there was no significant wound other than her new stylish spiky spark mane.

“Nah, I’ve been worse. The Dizzitron can shake ponies better than that” Rainbow blurted without concern. Her experiences in the Wonderbolt Academy were showing results. Sadly, the same couldn’t be said for Spike whose stomach didn’t take the down trip that well. Still Twilight felt relieved to see them both okay.

Thunders still echoed all over the place, showing the disaster inbound but that was just the beginning of her problems...

~FLASH~

“Hmm, I do remember reading incidents with weather magic before, but they never were so… destructive” Spoke Luna giving her own thoughts. The damage Twilight has done did in fact reach great lengths than anything recorded in Equestria.

“Twilight always had a gift for magic. It took years to teach her to control all that power when her talent first sparked. I suppose that what happened here must be worst kind of magical surge channeled into a single dangerous spell” Commented Celestia studying the same lines written the grimorie she had given to her apprentice.

“I thought it didn’t work at first, so forced it little more but I was sure I had it under control. It didn’t know it would do that much-” Twilight tried explain herself out but a single glare from the Princess silenced her.

“You didn’t think at all” Celestia then stared outside in a frown, “Just in this town alone there are about thousands of reports over property that got damaged. Several ponies either got hurt and many more are still missing in the process. Worse still, the weather that we once controlled is now growing unstable even though the best of our Pegasi subjects are on job to contain the magic remains spreading through Equestria. If anything Twilight, you need to consider what you have done”

“...” And with that, the little unicorn fell flat. Twilight did her best to hold back her tears as she knew it wasn’t over yet. Rainbow Dash and Spike each put a hoof/claw at her shoulder for comfort.

“Easy sister, she still has much to learn. You know we all can be irresponsible time to time. She was just a little eager to prove her worth. Besides, neither of us could have guessed this result. Even with her magical prowess, i believe this incident to be rather unnatural in kind” Affirmed Luna, taking pity on the poor soul. She may know little about Twilight as Celestia does but she did know the unicorn had a kind heart.

“True… but be that as it may, she has to know the consequences of her mistake” Retorted the elder sister.

Spike fearful of losing a dear parent stepped forward, “Say, what will happen to her? Will she get… banished or something?” He asked making everypony, specially Luna, to fell a little chill on their spines. They all stared at the Sun princess for the answer.

Celestia remained silent for a few seconds before sighing, “No, she won't be banished...” She confirmed sparkling hope as the children heard the words. Her stern face remained firm though, “I haven’t decided on the proper punishment yet. As far as I know there is still the matter of what was found after the explosion”

“Ah yes...” Princess Luna then levitated something from a table nearby. It’s a piece of circular stone with a roughly shaped lightning in one of it’s sides, one of the things that was recovered in the epicenter of what is now considered a weather magic explosion. Everypony on the room could felt a tinge of power leaking out from it as shone some alluring light in their eyes, flickering in reaction of a foreign force.

“That human you had found... Would you please clarify about that, Twilight?”

And the unicorn nodded, remembering the discovery. Her curiosity took over her fears as she began to explain once more...

~FLASH~

“So, what just happened here?” Asked Rainbow Dash as they see the effects of Twilight’s spell on the terrain around. The magic backfire, if you could call it that, was more destructive that Twilight imagined. Just a simple weather spell gone wrong resulted in an explosion of energies strong enough to leave a giant circular crater in an otherwise once beautiful plain.

“Well, talk about change of scenario. I hope you got some excuse ready” Commented Spike narrowing his eyes to see the horizon.

Upon hearing those words, Twilight immediately jumped, “Oh this is bad, this is really bad! Princess Celestia will have heart attack once she finds out” The unicorn began to panic for good on the thought of her worst fears coming true, failing Celestia. Her mind stormed with mad fast thoughts as she fell down on fear and denial, trying to hide herself and the world under her own hooves.

“Uh… it’s not that bad, is it? Can’t you just fix it with another spell or something?” Suggested Dash only receive a mad stricken glare from her distraught friend.

“Another spell!? Look around Dash, no amount of magic can undo all this damage that quickly, it’s just impossible!” She retorted in dismay, her eyes already twitching, “Even worse, it’s a disaster! Princess Celestia will declare me a failure for sure!”

And as she ranted, strange cracking sounds could be hear from down the crater. It was a buzzing sound, like electricity in constant hum but different from a thunder echo...

“Do you know what will happen now? I’m going to be banished from Equestria! Once she learns about it I’ll be definitely be sent into the moon, or even the sun for what I have done!”

Spike and Dash glanced at each other, thinking on how to handle this when the latter heard something coming from the edge of the crater, the buzz noise was getting stronger.

“Okay but there has something we can do right?” Spoke the little dragon trying to calm a despaired Twilight.

“There is nothing we can do about, Spike! Once I’m caught I’ll be remembered in history as the failed apprentice, a mad magician who brought ruins to Ponyville and Equestria as whole! It’s over, I’m done. Twilight Sparkle will be forever stained in history... Ha,hahaha...” The unicorn then laughed in her hysteric self-depreciation, not even noticing the growing sound.

“Uh, guys?” Dash, unable to explain what she was seeing, opted to call their attention.

A strange mesh of yellow lightning, rose out from the crater. The loud sound startled Twilight out of stupor, frightening her as she finally realized a presence. That was when they saw it. Deep down, in the middle of the cavity laid a glowing storm static on the ground around something. It was cracking with energy, flickering sparks out of it’s own while it’s body vibrated constantly. They thought it was a rock of sort but the shape was far too odd.

“What in Equestria...” Rainbow Dash hovered close and saw with her own eyes, a strange creature coated in red. it’s shape resembled a biped of sort, shed in a mix of red and yellow while it's face had a pinkish mesh on it, all blurred to be seen amidst it's shaking form. What did draw the pegasus attention however was the glowing white circle in the creature's chest that had a lightning design imprinted on it, flickering static on it own.

“What is it, Dash?” Yelled Twilight curious to know more. It was kinda hard to see from the cliff's edge.

“I don't know, a monkey I guess?” The pegasus replied as she tried to look through the body's vibration.

“A monkey? Of that size? That can't be, they live far in south. Hmm...” Twilight muttered with a quite thoughtful expression in her face. Hey memory sorted everything she knew about similar creatures when suddenly, a bright flash of light flared from crater. Before she knew, Twilight merely saw a blur coming at her direction.

"Urg-" The unicorn was catapulted into rolling crash as Rainbow Dash crashes, ending with the pegasus weighting her back.

“OW!” Her friend irked.

“R-rainbow Dash…!” The unicorn lifted her friend with her magic and straightened up, “You're okay? What was that?”

“Urg, I don't know. That thing almost fried me when I got too close!” She said recalling the moment. When seeing the scarlet creature, Rainbow Dash felt this feeling crawling her skin. The lightning that coursed over reflected in her eyes with energy. It's chirping sound... it was calling her in a mesmerizing lure when then, one blink later, Dash just felt her body being swatted aside. She didn't even realized how she was stuck by a giant static lightning bolt.

“At least you're not hurt. We need to head out of here and get back to the tree house. The princess should know all about…. this...” Suggested the unicorn hesitantly. For a second, Twilight did felt a chill on her spine. She was forgetting something.

“Uh Twilight? I think we have bigger problems...” And Spike quickly reminded her of why as the little dragon pointed into a direction. Following his gaze, their eyes saw an armada of royal guards, both golden and black, filling the skies in formations coming right out from a certain castle on top of the mountain. Their adornments and banners of both sun and moon signaled exactly what was coming.

That when Twilight froze again, glancing the torn down terrain and remembering her predicament. Her heart skipped a beat. The princesses were coming and they would not be happy…

“Oh no...”

~FLASH~

“… so that's when we brought whatever the thing is, dropped him upstairs and just meet you here” Rainbow Dash finished the story as the Princesses were thoughtful about it.

“I see...” Celestia glanced at her sister, who simply nodded before continuing, “This is a quite unique situation”

“Yes, a human here on Equestria, in his true form. It shouldn’t be possible, unless...” Luna affirmed as she observed the stone is her magic grasp. The thing did react strangely to her power, lightning sparks now and then, changing from red to white, “We must investigate this thoroughly, Sister”

Twilight’s ear did irk up when she heard the word, “So he’s really a human? This is amazing! I thought Lyra was crazy but now… Wait, how come I never found any book on the subject?” She asked with eyes gleaning towards the staircase that leads into her room.

“You didn’t because the knowledge of it is too dangerous. It's know since a thousand eyes ago that humans are unique creatures that do not come from this world and as such, do not belong to it. There are reasons for that of course, but we ought to check our Royal Archives for a concrete answer” The Moon Princess spoke recalling a certain crystal mirror in their possession.

“In meantime, we need keep an eye on him. His presence here could mean the existence of foreign factor in our lands. We must learn of his conditions and treat him with most care while we solve this, which makes me wonder… Where's the rest of the Elements?” Inquired Celestia as she considered her options.

“Applejack and Rarity are together in Manehattan, something about family business I think” Rainbow Dash quickly filled in.

“Pinkie Pie left a letter yesterday. It seems her family had found a mysterious rock tunnel around their farm. She's out to celebrate with them and won't back in for a week” Affirmed Twilight as Spike handed her a scroll.

“And Fluttershy?”

Rainbow Dash and Twilight shared a glance, both unable to answer, “She's supposed to be here I guess…” Spoke the unicorn.

Thus silence filled the room. Its was quite the worrisome situation. All the chaos going around Equestria and the Chosen Elements are themselves separated. Celestia could only sigh in resignation.

“Very well then, one problem at time. You two are to go and check on your friend to see if she’s safe. With her kind nature, her help would be most appreciated. Luna and I are going to stay back make sure our human guest is well... kept...” At the end of her speech, everypony followed her gaze and saw it: a red adorned being came into sight just over the stairs. Twilight and the others stared agape, shocked by his sudden appearance as he stood there, looking at them in a wide eyed manner.

And Flash, with what he saw, the first thing that came in his mind was, “Oh boy...”

~To be continued~

!Author Notes!

Well lads, there it is, the first encounter. Now, i don't have much to say, never thought it would take this long to approve a submission. ?I guess the intake on stories is that big. Oh well, at least gives me time to write out. Now, unlike other HiE fics out there, the excuse to throw a character in Equestria is never quite explored sometimes. I do wish to expand that to create a plot device from it. We've three season of Flash so far and there are many things confirmed so i could explore. I just hope it ends well.

For note thought, if it wasn't clear in the chapter 1, this Flash is from season 1, all the way up to episode 17, so look out.