• Published 22nd Apr 2017
  • 2,234 Views, 30 Comments

You Can Be King Again - Mikleo



Starlight Glimmer likes to overthink things. Love is probably not one of the things she should overthink. Or approach as a task. Thorax will be in her sights for the next few days, and she's not sure if she can confront both of their feelings.

  • ...
3
 30
 2,234

Chapter 2

Starlight Glimmer stood quietly, watching Thorax awkwardly shift his forelegs while his wings twitched under his saddlebags. He seemed like he was waiting for a response, but she could only stare slack-jawed, unable to form a coherent sentence or thought. Thorax, king of Changelings, savior of Equestria, was casually standing at her front door. Well, castle doors, anyways. Maybe that made this situation a little less… strange. He also was her friend. They were friends, right? they’d saved Equestria together, that surely made them friends.

But to show up? Out of the blue, no warning? Starlight looked around, hoping to see something to explain the visit, but only noticed a lack of guards. In fact, she saw nothing remotely connecting to his royal status. No carriage, no entourage. Not even a crown on his head. Though he did have big horns that made up for that. Maybe it did. She blinked slowly. Okay, Thorax was here. She had fully processed that. He kind of smelled like flowers.

What now?

Taking a deep breath, Starlight cleared her throat as she prepared her words. She could do this, she could handle Thorax randomly popping over. But shouldn’t he know Twilight was off on a diplomatic trip to see the dragon lord? Didn’t all the leaders have some sort of friendship system where they all sent letters to one another? No, that was ridiculous. They wouldn’t call it a friendship system. Maybe Thorax had to file an application to get in and his membership was still pending. She shook her head. She had to take care of this situation, and fast, as it seemed the ponies out and about were taking notice, one pink mare freezing in place at the sight of him. Why was she freezing up, though? It was literally one week ago when he was here. She smacked a hoof to her cheek. Focus.

“Um… well… she’s gone,” she muttered slowly, squinting her eyes as beams of light reflected off his shiny… everything. Geez, did his transformation have to make him look like a glorified beetle? Still, as his wings fluttered by his sides, shimmering, she couldn't help but stare. The sparklines of his new form had taken her aback at first, though it seemed rather pleasant after a second evaluation. The gems on his chest moved up and down with his breathing, like the jewels on one of Rarity’s dresses glittering in the sunlight. His abdomen was a shade of green resemblant of fresh spring grass peeking through the last snows of winter. Or like emeralds. The way his stance looked tall and proud was pretty good looking too. In a platonic way. It was a bit entrancing, so much so that she didn’t notice Thorax’s words. She did notice his odd, flowery smell.

“Uh, Starlight, did you hear me?” His voice broke her trance, her eyes locking with his. Red leaked into her cheeks as she nervously smiled and bit her lip.

“Oh, no. Sorry.” She turned away from him, dragging her hoof on the marble floor. “But, I should probably invite you in. Manners, y’know?” An awkward laugh forced its way out of her throat. She stepped aside, rubbing the back of her neck with a foreleg. Thorax chuckled, flashing her a grin as he walked in. Her muzzle heated up more. Why was he smiling? Was it because it was humorous how much of an idiot she looked like? Was it because her mane looked funny? Was it-Starlight slammed her eyes shut, gritting her teeth. She had to stop thinking. He probably wants to ask where Twilight is, then go on to do kingly things. That’s all. And internally laugh at her.

She opened her eyes, shoving the door closed with a growl. Of all days to deal with a random king showing up, why today? She craned her neck behind her, eyeing Thorax as he walked further inside, brows furrowed. It wasn't his fault… Sighing, she pressed a hoof to her temple. A few minutes and this surely would be over, allowing her to do friendship stuff.

“It’s amazing how big this castle looks when there aren’t so many ponies in it,” he mumbled, touching the cutie mark map. “We’re still doing renovations to our hive. I wonder if we could make it look as fancy as all of this.” He turned around. “Sorry, I've gotten off track. May I ask where Twilight is? She said she’d like to discuss some things with me today.”

“She didn’t tell you? There was a minor emergency with the dragons” Starlight plopped down on one of the thrones. “It’s Clawchella; Ember asked her to stay for a few more days. She won’t be back until...” Starlight paused, confused by a blush creeping across Thorax’s muzzle. Realizing he was staring at something, she followed his gaze only to discover she had sat down with no consideration of lady-like posture. “Friday,” she finished, sitting upright and tucking her tail between her legs.

Thorax blinked, his blush doubling as he met her eyes. “I’m afraid I wasn’t told about that.” He smiled at her before swiftly finding something to examine behind himself. “I’ve probably made a fool of myself, huh? I’m sorry, I'm still new to this whole ‘king’ thing. I should’ve known; I even forgot to bring guards with me.”

Starlight quickly shook her head. “No, no, It’s fine! Twilight told me all the stories of how nervous she was when she first became Princess. She probably messed up too.” She flinched. “Not that you've messed up.”

He didn't seem to notice her last words. “Really? But she’s amazing. I don’t think I would be doing so well with the hive if it weren’t for her advice.” Thorax’s wings buzzed a sad rhythm as his ears pinned back.

Starlight fidgeted with her hooves, her mind racing for the right thing to say. “Well, why don’t you just stay until she comes back? There’s plenty of guest bedrooms.”

Thorax perked up. “Really? I wouldn’t want to impose.” He paused. “I’d have to inform my drones back home, though. It’d have to go by messenger.”.”

Starlight rolled her eyes while blowing a raspberry. “Please, that’s foal’s play. There are a hundred different spells to do that. Just tell me their name, and I’ll have a scroll setting on their snout in seconds.” She sprang to her hooves and hopped to the floor besides Thorax. “Besides, you’re a hero of Equestria and Twilight and I’s friend, you’re fine,” she continued, leading the way towards the castle’s guest rooms.

Thorax nodded. “I suppose I’ll have to learn more about pony magic.”

“Of course!” Starlight bounced on her hooves, not sure which way she should go first. “Here, I'll get a bedroom ready now, and maybe show you to the library to read up a bit on some spells?” She smiled sheepishly. “I mean, just something to do while I get it ready. I don’t really know what else you’d like to do while you’re here.” Her cheeks were warm and her stomach full of butterflies. She needed to get a hold of herself today.

Thorax trotted aside her as they ascended the staircase. “Well, I would like to see more of Ponyville. I’ve always lived in the north. It would be nice to see a farm first hoof, maybe learn how ponies manage their food.”

Starlight giggled, raising a hoof to her mouth while they entered a hallway. “You haven’t been on a farm?”

It was his turn to blush. “N-no. I’m still new to a lot of things, it seems.”

“Oh my Celestia, the stuff I'll show you!” She turned to face him. “There’s a lot more things I’ll show you than just a farm. In fact, tomorrow there’s supposed to be something going on at Pinkie Pie’s place.”

“Is that so?”

“Yeah! Would you want to go?”

“Sure! It's a date.”

Starlight’s hooves froze mid-step, a yelp escaping her mouth as she went flying forward. Her eyes closed, bracing herself for a rather painful collision with the floor. Seconds passed. Her body was oddly... tingly. She slowly looked around and found herself caught in Thorax’s magic, levitated a hoof’s span from the ground.

Looking up, she found Thorax’s worried eyes. Her ears burned as she lost herself in his soft expression.

“Are you okay? Are you sick? Is something wrong?” he asked, touching a hoof to her shoulder.

She instinctively flinched away, her heart pounding and breathing heavy. Her mouth opened, only to stay like that. Thorax tilted his head, his magnificent horns shining in the candlelight. No, not magnificent. Well, they weren’t bad looking. But magnificent?

She shook her head. A date. A date with him. No, that wasn’t right.

“A… date?” she squeaked, brushing her mane in front of her face.

Thorax creased his brows, shrugging his shoulders.“It’s a saying I’ve heard from ponies.” He tapped his hoof to his chin. “Did I use it wrong?”

Starlight’s muzzle darkened to a deep, deep red. “Yes. A-A date means when two ponies wh-who are romantically involved go out and do something,” she in one breath as she stood back up on her own hooves. “I was just a bit shocked when you said that. I’m fine. Let’s go. Yes.”

“Oh… okay?”

Starlight didn’t bother to respond, moving as swiftly as she could muster down the hallway without breaking into a gallop. Why, of all times, would he bring up a datenow? Wait, it made sense. It was a pony saying he was just trying to integrate into his conversation. But right when her mind was still addled with the thoughts her parents and loneliness had implanted in her head? It was like Celestia was trying to give her a rough time, especially after that terrible date lowered her expectations. Not that Thorax was bad. He could be considered handsome, and he didn’t have a bunch of cats. Plus she already had a bond with him.

But dating him? No, impossible! He had a kingdom. And… She stopped in front of library's entrance. Was that seriously the only complaint she had with him? Her heart began clawing at her chest. Thorax and her. What would they be like? Would Thorax take her out on cheesy dated in the park with a picnic basket full of little sandwiches? Would give her flowers and call her beautiful? She covered her snout with a hoof. Would she like that? She liked his flowery smell, that was for sure.

She turned to Thorax. “Here’s the picni-Library.”

Thorax smiled. Starlight tensed.

She liked that smile.

Author's Note: