• Published 18th Apr 2017
  • 1,099 Views, 15 Comments

The Tale of the Three Sided Medallion - FlareGun45



After the Mane Six, Spike, and Starlight Glimmer have a dream about a mysterious cave in the Everfree Forest, they journey out to discover it's secrets, including one of Equestria's oldest friends, who's also the brother of the most evil villain.

  • ...
4
 15
 1,099

Freeloader

ACT 4: Parting Ways

It’s been three weeks since Spike first became ambassador of Equestria, but things have been slow with him since he hasn’t been summoned since the summit. He was in the throne room one day playing Ogres & Oubliettes with Big Mac, Discord, and Scorpan. With Discord’s chaotic magic, the game once again comes back to life, with Garbunkle, Sir McBiggen, and Captain Wuzz journeying through the land of dice.

Spike starts narrating, “As the three heroes continue their journey through Spiketopia – the evil Squidzard sent one of his minions to steal a rare jewel; but it wasn’t any ordinary jewel! The jewel contained a huge amount of unforeseen powers that can control the weather of the entire kingdom.” Spike nods to Discord, and Discord nods back as he snaps his fingers and it begins raining cats and dogs (literarily).

“AAH!” Spike and Big Mac both screamed. They both then glared at Discord.

“Oh c’mon, it makes the game a whole lot more interesting!” Discord said.

“Uhh, okay then.” Spike said. “It starts raining cats and dogs… literarily… as we knew we were close to the source of the problem.”

“Hey!” Discord complained. “I take offensive to that!”

“Not you!” Spike corrected him.

“Nnnope.” Big Mac said.

Just then, the three started to hear an evil laugh coming from the distance. Out from the shadows comes Scorpan with the bloodstone dragon scepter from the Gauntlet of Fire. “It was nice of Ember to let me borrow that for that game!” Spike commented.

“Hahahaha!” Scorpan laughs evilly while wearing an evil wizard outfit. “Well, well, well! If it isn’t my old friends!”

“Behold – the evil necromancer, and my former teacher who betrayed Spiketopia for wealth and power that the Squidzard promised him: Lavos Meren!”

“That sounds like a very stupid name.” Discord complained. “Why didn’t you like the name I suggested for you?”

“’General Batwing’ really doesn’t appeal to me.” Scorpan said.

“But tiz true!” Discord said as he teleports upside down in front of Scorpan while wearing a vampire outfit. “Are they not bat wings?”

“They’re gargoyle wings, Discord.” Scorpan informed him.

Discord teleports back next to Spike and Big Mac returning to his Captain Wuzz outfit, and said, “Huh, suit yourself. But the name ‘Lavas Mendez’ really doesn’t suit you.”

“Lavos Meren.” Big Mac corrected him.

“Oh shut it, McFiggen.” Discord ordered him.

“Can we just get back to the game?” Spike complained.

“Eeyup.” Big Mac nodded in agreement.

“My old apprentice! I am so glad you have come!” Scorpan said.

“Lavos, why did you betray Spiketopia?” Spike asked. “Why team up with the evil Squidzard?”

“He promised me money and power!” Scorpan said. “He will promise you it too if you join us! We can be together again, Garbunkle!”

“I would NEVER betray Spiketopia for money and power!” Spike swore. “I would rather perish!”

“Eeyup!” Big Mac agreed.

“Well I’m willing to do it for power!” Discord said as he dresses up as a hobo while carrying a cardboard sign that says ‘Will betray my country for power’. “May I join you, all mighty Lavos?”

“Captain Wuzz! How could you?!” Spike asked in betrayal.

“Because I guess I’m not the good guy you thought I was! Woopsy doopsy!” Discord said as he teleports over to Scorpan while wearing a gray trenchcoat, everything on the top of his head disappears leaving behind a big bald spot, and he places his pinky near his lip mischievously.

“I guess we have double the trouble now, Sir McBiggen!” Spike said nervously.

“Eeyup!” Big Mac agreed.

“Now then, my new apprentice, ready to end Spiketopia once and for all?” Scorpan asked evilly.

“You betcha!” Discord said as he snaps his fingers as all the dice of Spiketopia began exploding into confetti, cake frosting, chocolate milk, pizza sauce, elephants, and pretty much everything else.

“OVERDOING IT, DISCORD! OVERING IT!” Spike yelled as he and Big Mac flinched with all the exploding going on. Discord rolls his eyes as he snaps his fingers to bring everything back to the way it was.

“You people just don’t know how to live a little. Do you?” Discord complained.

“I think we should stop there for the night, don’t you think? Spike? Big Mac?” Scorpan asked.

“Eeyup!” Big Mac agreed.

“Yeah, we’ve been playing for 10 hours straight; I think we’ll just continue our normal session next weekend.” Spike said. “Makes a pretty good cliffhanger spot, doesn’t it?”

“For sure!” Scorpan agreed.

“Well,” Discord started, “that was fun, but if you boys excuse me.” Discord removes his goat antler, and long wavy brown hair pops out like that antler was the pin keeping it together. “I’m really in desperate need for a haircut. My boss has a ‘measurement limit’. I swear, I should just quit my day job and become a rocker. Adios amigos!” He teleports away.

Spike, Scorpan, and Big Mac walked out of the room they were having their adventure in, and started talking while walking through the castle corridors towards the entrance. “Woo! That was really fun!” Spike said excitedly.

“I’ll say! Thanks again for letting me join your game!” Scorpan said.

“Well, it gets tiring when it’s just the three of us!” Spike teased as he nudges Big Mac, and he nods in agreement.

“That was really fun!” Scorpan said. “Big Mac, you’re a cool pony, and Spike vouches for ya!”

“Well he’s not much of a talker, but he’s company when the girls aren’t around!” Spike said. “Sometimes I’m not inviting with the girls on the adventures, and sometimes Starlight is out of town helping Trixie with her shows, and with Thorax and Ember running their own kingdoms, I don’t have many friends to talk to.”

“Eeyup.” Big Mac agrees sadly.

“That’s when I started trying to make more friends!” Spike said. “I asked the CMCs, too busy crusading. I asked Lyra and Bon Bon, but they say they’re busy doing ‘top secret things’; they wouldn’t tell me what it is. I tried Granny Smith, and all she did was tell me stories of her past – and she keeps forgetting that she told me them so many times.”

“Ugh.” Big Mac groans and shakes his head. “Eeyup!”

“That’s when I asked Big Mac if he wanted to do anything, and as it turns out, we’re into the same nerdy things!” Spike said. “We used to watch Hoofball a lot, but then I taught him this game that Shining Armor taught me – Ogres & Oubliettes! We’ve been having fun since; and then Discord joined us when he was lonely. Turns out, we’re just a bunch of lonely nerds, and we gotta stick together!”

“Wow.” Scorpan said shockingly. “Nopony else is into that sort of thing?”

“Well, Snips and Snails are, but… ehhh… they’re not so fun to hang with all the time.” Spike admitted. The three friends approached the front door as Spike opens it, letting Big Mac out. “Well, Big M, it’s been fun! Same time next week?”

“Eeyup!” Big Mac accepted.

“See you then!” Spike said. “Or I’ll see you earlier around town! It’s a small town.”

“Good game, bro!” Scorpan waved as Big Mac exits the castle. After Spike closes the door, it’s just him and Scorpan.

“So what are you doing tomorrow, Scorpan?” Spike asked.

“Umm… I thought we were going to hang out?” Scorpan asked.

“Oh, dude, I wish! Believe me, I do!” Spike said. “But Mondays are the days that I go gem hunting with Rarity. She looks for gems for her dresses, and I grocery shop!”

“Cool! You think you can get me some gems too?” Scorpan asked.

“Absolutely!” Spike said. “Anyways, it’s late, I’m gonna hit the sack. I’ll see you tomorrow, bro!” Then both bro-bump.

“See ya tomorrow, Spike!” Scorpan said. Spike and Scorpan both go their separate ways of the castle. Scorpan walks through the corridor on his way to his bedroom, when suddenly, Twilight walks out of her library, yawning. She then spots Scorpan walking through the corridor.

“Scorpan! Good evening!” Twilight said as she got Scorpan’s attention.

“Hello, Twilight!” Scorpan greeted her.

“How was your gaming session with the boys?” Twilight asked as she started walking beside Scorpan.

“It was great!” Scorpan said. “I really wish we can make a movie out of these adventures, or a book, or something! We’re not just playing the game, we’re creating story!”

“I would LOVE to read that book!” Twilight said.

“Doesn’t surprise me. Are there any books you DON’T like reading?” Scorpan asked.

“Yes, actually, there is!” Twilight said.

“And what might that be?” Scorpan asked.

“Blank books!” Twilight cringed when she said that. “Ugh! A whole book just blank, and no story!” Just then, Twilight popped herself an idea. “No wait! Actually, I like those books! It would allow me to think about what the story is about! I make my own story as I read it! Really brings my imagination to the test!”

“So… why bother reading the book if you’re just making up a story in your head?” Scorpan asked.

“I think of the story, and I pretend to read it!” Twilight explains.

“Guess that makes sense.” Scorpan said. “You really remind me about Star Swirl by a looooooong shot!”

Twilight giggles proudly. “Well, I’ve been reading all about his work since I was a filly! He’s the reason I was inspired to do magic in the first place!”

“Well, I can hear that Star Swirl is glad to hear it… again.” Scorpan rolls his eyes.

“Anyways, can I ask him a little something?” Twilight asked. “I mean, if he doesn’t mind?”

“Well, if I have to be honest with ya, Star Swirl is getting tired of you asking all these questions constantly.” Scorpan admits. “Also he’s not revealing all his secrets to you. They’re secrets for a reason.”

“Heh, right!” Twilight understands, feeling embarrassed. “I’m sorry, Star Swirl! You’re just so amazing!”

Scorpan closes his eyes and places his index and middle fingers on the sides of his head. “He… forgives you.” Scorpan said.

“Phew!” Twilight wipes the sweat from her forehead. “That’s a relief! If Star Swirl hated me, it would REALLY ruin my self-confidence!”

“Star Swirl could never hate you, Twilight.” Scorpan smiles at her. “But sometimes he just wants to be left alone. He’s tired of me talking to him as it is through meditation. I only bother his eternal rest when it’s absolutely necessary. You forget, Twilight, much like how you were in the past, and how I was, he lived a life of solitude. Sometimes, certain ponies and creatures have their thoughts as their best friends.”

“Yeah, I agree.” Twilight nods. “Anyways, Scorpan, I have to ask you something really important.”

“What is it, Twilight?” Scorpan asked.

“It’s been… three weeks.” Twilight said.

“And?” Scorpan asked.

“Well… you promised you’d see your… ahem… brother.” Twilight said with an embarrassed smile.

“Oh… yeah... that.” Scorpan remembered. “Yeah, I’m still not ready to see him yet.”

“Well, the longer you take, the more you disgrace him, and yourself. Didn’t you say that to me?” Twilight asked.

Scorpan sighs. “Yes… I did, and you’re right. But I’m still not ready to… see him yet. Twilight, I betrayed him. Who knows if he’ll ever forgive me?”

“You won’t know for sure until you try.” Twilight explains as the duo enters the kitchen. “What my friends and I have taught you; you asked for our help, and we helped you!” Scorpan walks over to the fridge to grab a load of junk food. “Didn’t you summon us to that cave to meet us? We performed tests for you to prove to you who we are! We’re the Elements of Harmony, and we used what we know to reform those who were once rubbed off the wrong way! Trixie, Discord, what about Starlight?” Scorpan then walks over to the pantry to grab even more junk food. “She told you how evil she was, how I reformed her, and how my friends and I used what we know to teach her all about friendship! You even said you had a plan!”

“Mhm.” Scorpan said as he continued snatching all the food he could find that he thought he would like, and would just throw aside all the food he didn’t think he would like right on the floor.

“Scorpan, look at yourself!” Twilight yelled.

“I don’t have a mirror. Can you bring one in?” Scorpan asked.

“Scorpan, stop wasting all my food!” Twilight ordered him. “Every day I come in here, it’s a huge mess, and all the food is gone!”

“So? You’re a rich princess. You can buy more.” Scorpan informed her as he placed all the food he was carrying onto the counter, and he starts binge eating.

“Are you kidding? The money I get comes from royal funds! The money isn’t MINE!” Twilight corrected him. “I only use those royal funds when I deem it necessary, like food, or buying toys for sick foals, or buying tickets for trains so my friends and I can travel to other parts of Equestria to solve friendship problems! The money is for friendship purposes; and… maybe a new book or two every now and again.” Scorpan pauses his binge eating and glares at her. “Hey, don’t look at me like that! Sometimes I have to reward myself for doing such a good job!”

“Uh huh, whatever you say, princess.” Scorpan said as he continues eating.

“Scorpan, listen to me!” Twilight ordered. “I kind of got the feeling you might be abusing my hospitality! I let you stay in the castle so we can teach you how to reform your brother! Now you know how to reform your brother, and you’re not even doing anything! You’re just sitting there… eating!”

“Uh, correction: standing.” Scorpan corrected her.

Twilight started to get really angry. “THAT’S NOT THE POINT!” She yelled. “When you’re not eating, you’re just laying around all day! The only productive thing you ever do is hang out with Spike!”

“Spike’s my best friend. Why wouldn’t I hang out with him?” Scorpan asked.

“Is Spike the reason you’re still here?” Twilight asked.

“Well that, and I also I’m not ready to see Tirek yet.” Scorpan said. “

“Well, while I appreciate you being such a good friend to Spike, the main reason you’re here is to reform and reunite with Tirek!” Twilight reminded him. “That’s the reason we brought you in! So I think it’s time for you to stop being lazy all the time, and let’s head on over to Tartarus.”

“Fine,” he burps and starts walking towards the kitchen door, “we’ll go next week.”

“Next week isn’t good enough!” Twilight yelled. “If you keep putting it off, you’ll NEVER be able to reunite with him!”

“Well maybe I DON’T WANT to reunite with him!” Scorpan yelled angrily. “I’m happy here, Twilight! I made more friends here than I ever did in that lonely cave! Besides, there’s no hope in reforming Tirek! Face it! He’s a lost cause!”

“Scorpan, that sounds nothing like you!” Twilight said worryingly. “I thought you wanted to reform him and bring him home?”

“THIS is my home, Twilight!” Scorpan explained. “My old homeland… that was nothing! I didn’t have fun there! I didn’t have friends! I only had my brother! I was a prince, I had money and everything, but it just didn’t feel the same. All this time, all I needed… was friendship; and thanks to you, I got it! Thank you for rescuing me from that cave, Twilight! I appreciate it! Everything I could ever want is right here! I am never leaving! Spike’s my new brother now!” Scorpan then marches out the kitchen, and once he gets into the corridor, he starts flying over to his room.

“Scorpan, wait!” Twilight called out as she tries to follow him, but she knew it was no use. She then sighs in regret. Twilight knew Scorpan was becoming a lost cause, so she knew it was time to take action.

Author's Note:

Scorpan being a freeloader was a story in my fake season 7 summaries, and the story I had thought of is used in this chapter and the next one! We know that Scorpan knows what to do to reform Tirek, but now he's losing confidence. Now that he's actually there, he doesn't believe he could do it. Let's see how all this turns out later on!