• Published 16th Apr 2017
  • 5,449 Views, 76 Comments

Embers of Passion - Bakmah Genesis



Chrysalis spent years spying on Twilight, trying to figure out what gave her the upper hand to defeating her. Upon discovering her own feelings, she tries to flee Ponyville, only to get captured and forced to agree to work alongside Equestria.

  • ...
16
 76
 5,449

An Old, Bloody Past

Chrysalis dragged her feet into the dining hall of the Castle, only having gotten a couple hours of sleep. The others were already seated at the table, pancakes and coffee set out on an empty spot just for her.

“Did you sleep well, Chrysalis?” asked Celestia, taking a sip of her coffee. Chrysalis grunted, taking her seat next to Twilight. Taking a sip of her coffee, Chrysalis let out a pleased moan as a peice of hair fell over her face.

“This is by far the best coffee I have ever tasted. You will need to send me the grounds you use.” said Chrysalis with a content sigh. With a flash of magic, a brush popped into existence and started working on trying to groom the mess that was her mane. “Any news about last night?”

Celestia quietly levitated that morning’s newspaper to the changeling. Setting down her coffee, Chrysalis began to read.

Changeling Queen Chrysalis enters power in Canterlot.
Following a press conference held last night by the princesses, it was revealed that as an attempt to make peace between the two races, changelings have been allowed into the Equestria and are legally allowed to gain citizenship.

According to the Former Queen of the Changelings, Chrysalis stated that the decision was made to help the species depression caused by lack of food following the failed attempt to gather large amounts during the Wedding Invasion.

In accordance to the new laws that were passed, any changeling citizen is to get rid of their disguise and seek citizenship, requiring a name and home address. On top of this, Queen Chrysalis has stepped down from the rank of Queen to Princess. She will now handle the transition process for the changelings and so-forth under the supervision of Princess Twilight.

Rumors have already stirred that this is the beginning of a changeling uprising, though all accusations were denied by the princesses. We will have more on the situation as it develops.

“Uprising my ass.” grumbled Chrysalis, taking another sip of her coffee. “On the brightside, not too much negativity in the press yet. Though I have yet to walk out the front door.”

“There is already a mob of protesters at the gate.” sighed Cadence. “The wounds from your attack run deep in this city. It will take a lot of work to convince the populace that you don’t mean any harm.”

“How about changeling’s?” asked the former Queen. “I am aware of between two to three hundred changeling’s residing in this city alone. Let alone cities around the country the numbers reach the thousands. Have any of those come out yet?”

“Since the city office opened this morning, a hundred or so changeling’s have registered in Canterlot alone. As for country wide, those numbers are still coming in.” said Luna calmly. “I don’t expect all the changeling’s to come out that easily. We will end up having to go city to city and either ask them a second time or arrest them.”

“Give them a week.” said Chrysalis with a sigh. “I will send out the word that they need to register. If there are still changeling’s left who have yet to register by next friday, then we will start arresting.”

A silence fell over the table as they continued to eat, the sound of silverware and Chrysalis’ brush filling the room. Getting lost in her own thoughts, the former queen absent-mindedly fed herself while looking back on the decision she made.

A constant fear lingered in the back of her mind. A fear of how she led her changelings into chaos. Before Chrysalis drove herself crazy with doubt, the door to the hall burst open with multiple guards running into the hall.

“Your Highness, there is and issue at the staff entrance.” said Shining, leading the group.

“What kind of situation, Captain?” asked Celestia calmly.

“It's best if you all come see yourself.”


As the group of Princesses approached the staff entrance to the kitchen, the sound of shouting rang through the halls. Opening the door, Chrysalis’ ears were assaulted by a sudden increase of volume.

Inside the entrance stood most of the Castle’s staff, including the maids who were just arriving for the shift change. The group was split in two, one half consisting of ten changelings all dressed in the varying uniforms of the castle staff. Multiple guards stood between them trying to keep peace between the two sides.

“Just like the rest of the changelings, a few of the castle staff had to drop their disguises. As I am sure it is with the rest of the country, the reaction was rather… mixed.” informed Shining. “A few of the staff were accepting and I already sent them back to work. I also had a few from the barracks come clean. The other guards were pretty accepting as we all have the same goal in the end. A few threw a fit and are in the dungeons until further notice.”

“What caused this outburst?” asked Chrysalis, looking over at the other changelings. One caught her gaze, shooting her a concerned look. With a sigh, Chrysalis reached out to the young changeling and told her everything would be alright through the hivelink.

“Just confusion and rage.” said Shining. “They want to know what happened to
their coworkers, if they really belong here, did they ever mean harm. They are confused and scared, which makes them violent.”

“How should we resolve this?” asked Twilight. “We can’t just fire the changelings. They have been working here for years possibly and probably depend on the income, especially now that the hive isn’t funding them anymore.”

“Just how many changelings did you put into the castle, Chrysalis?” asked Celestia. The changeling sighed.

“How many I ordered, three.” said Chrysalis “One maid, one cook, and one guard. Aside from that, the rest are changelings who moved out of the hive to support themselves, occasionally sending packages of love back to the hive. Just like the average pony, they needed a job and when you have worked to serve royalty previously, working here is easy.

“Some joined the guard, having been trained in combat since they were young. Some became a maid, having been caretakers in the hive since they first came of age. It is just what comes natural to them. And everyone that got sent here never took the place of another. They came up with their own pony, made their own backstory, and became just another pony who just showed up one day. Just so they can live a life.” One of the changelings, an older looking mare, came forward.

“Please, Princesses. I got a family to support back at home. A loving husband and a beautiful pupa.” begged the Changeling.

“And many have families.” said Chrysalis sadly. “What is your number, drone?”

“Drone 4561. I was nicknamed Flora, having taken care of the plants around the hive.” said the drone with a salute. Chrysalis smiled.

“And the pupa?” asked the former queen kindly. Flora blushed a bit, giving a shy smile.

“Hyacinth.” said Flora proudly. “Just like the flowers that grew outside of the hive.” Celestia gave the mare a soft smile before turning to the rest of the staff.

“The changelings live just like the rest of us. They have families, work hard for their bits, and do what they can to survive. These same changelings were, and still are our coworkers and friends. Just because they no longer hide behind the guise of someone they aren’t does not mean they are any different or are here to harm us. Just like everyone else that comes through that door, I expect you to have the same amount of respect and courtesy. We will not accept intolerance.” There was groans made, but the guards parted, allowing the changelings to go continue their work.

Heading back, Chrysalis was quiet as she thought back about Flora. She found it odd to refer to changelings by name, having used only numbers and codenames for so long, an actual name felt foreign to her. She made a note to find out where the changeling lived and make a visit later.

Chrysalis almost ran into the back of Celestia as she realized she stopped walking, leaving the group standing just outside of the main hall. The alabaster mare was quiet for a moment before turning around, a sad look on her face.

“Chrysalis, do you remember when the two of us first met?” asked Celestia. The changeling winced, turning away.

“All too well.” said Chrysalis softly. “It is hard to forget.” Celestia nodded.

“Just seeing the chaos that we created by our union reminds me of our first meeting… the changeling’s first attempt at peace.”


Chrysalis stood in front of the giant double doors of the Canterlot Throne room. Flashbacks of screaming and the blood drenched bodies of her mother and sister ran through her head. Her every instinct told her to run, to get as far away from Canterlot as possible. Maybe relocate the hive, hide for a while.

But the voice of her mother told her that she needed to urge for a change. A Queen does not run and hide from an enemy, she either takes what she needs through force and negotiates her way through the situation.

Disguised as a common pony, the newly crowned queen stepped forward as the doors opened for her. Beyond, the walls were lined with guards, twice the amount as there was the last time Chrysalis was here. There was no real exit and the furthest she could hope to teleport safely is just outside the castle.

Sitting upon her throne, Celestia stared at Chrysalis, almost as if she could see through the disguise she was wearing. Next to her was another princess. Luna looked bored, barely awake as she tapped her hoof waiting for time to go by.

“What is your name and what was your request?” asked the princess. Her voice reverbed off the walls and rang in Chrysalis’ head. Taking a breath and readying a spell for the worst, she dropped her disguise.

“I am Queen Chrysalis and I am her to negotiate.” A charged blast of magic bounced away from her as she quickly threw up her shield. Looking around, she noticed that she was quickly surrounded, every spear in the room pointed in her direction. Celestia now stood at her throne, glaring at the changeling. Luna sat up, watching with interest.

“And why should I listen to an insect?” asked Celestia, slowly walking towards the queen. “You come into my country, take my ponies, and replace them with insects to steal our most prized possession. And you expect us to listen to someone who lies and cheats?”

“We lived in this country just long as you.” growled Chrysalis, causing the guards around her to close in. She let out a sigh. “I have come here with a simple request for my family’s remains and for your hunt to cease.”

“And why should we stop?” asked Celestia. “Why should we just listen to you?”

“Because we can be anything.” said Chrysalis. Celestia frowned. “As far as you are
aware, half of these guards around me are changeling’s. The maid who helps bathe you after a long day, the guard who walks beside you wherever you go, the filly in ton that gave a flower just yesterday. Any one of these ponies can be a changeling.

“We have been peaceful all these years, swearing to never hurt ponies and always
returning them safely. But now you threaten our lives out of fear and confusion. We have done nothing to hurt you, and yet you do everything to hurt us. We just wish to be left alone and we will continue our vow of peace.”

Celestia grit her teeth, unsure on what she should do. She did not know how much of what she said was true, but was she willing to risk killing her if it possibly meant a changeling could kill her when she was least expecting it?

“You may have your deceased.” Celestia whipped around to see Luna standing walking over to them. “We shall call of any search for changelings and release all captives if you promise to stay hidden and keep your peace.” Chrysalis held eye contact with the princess for a moment.

“I promise you that none of your ponies will come to harm from my race.” said Chrysalis. “21!” From behind her, a guard dropped his spear and transformed into a changeling, giving a quick salute. “You have learned where they kept the Queen and Princess, correct? Take the others and escort them and the captives back to the hive. Be quick.” Much to Celestia’s horror, she watched as half of the circle of guards transformed and flew away. The entire time, Chrysalis did not look away from the princesses.

“I shall never forgive you for the damage you have caused my kind, and it is only for their benefit that I am negotiating.” said Chrysalis. “But I promise you this, Celestia, if you lay a horn on a changeling ever again, I will lay waste to everyone you love, give them a slow painful death as you watch, just I had to as you murdered my mother and sister.”

Before Celestia could respond, the changeling disappeared in a flash of green light. The princess stood there, paralyzed with fear. Eventually she let out a deep breath, before turning to her sister.

“Why did you agree?” she asked, slightly shaking.

“I could see it in her eyes that she was not lying.” said Luna, turning away from her. “If you did what you were thinking of, you would have been dead before you could even light your horn. It is best that you admit defeat and forget about the changelings. I told you when you started this that it will end nowhere good.”

Outside the castle, Chrysalis watched as her drones flew off with the bodies of her mother and sister. As the last of the changelings flew off, Chrysalis let out a deep sigh.

“I hope you are happy, mother.”

Author's Note:

I actually planned for this to be alot darker, but I decided not to for a few reasons. If anything, this might make a later chapter make a little more sense.

Comments ( 17 )

Well fuck.. Celestia was a fucking bigot

8869786
She is most times before mellowing out in the 1000 years alone.

8869870
Yeah, the time out was for both of them.

I wonder if/when Celestia figured out she made Chrysalis watch her loved ones die?

Poor Chryssie and her family... They met Celestia before she evolved from Cuntlestia.

'moan as a peice of hair' - piece

Plural form of Changeling is Changelings, no need for an apostrophe.

'Let alone cities around' - alone in cities

'open with multiple guards running into the hall' - running inside

'there is and issue' - an

'needs through force and negotiates her way through' - force or negotiates

'and I am her to negotiate' - here

'the filly in ton that gave a flower' - town

'We shall call of any search for changelings' - off

'just I had to as you murdered' - just as I had to as you murdered

'she asked, slightly shaking' - shaking slightly

'I told you when you started this that it will end nowhere good' - it would end

Pretty nice, I like the world building this chapter gives, and it's always nice to see cuntlestia realize she isn't invincible. Nice job overall

This may seem nitpicky, but I like to be like that...

Chrysalis dragged her feet into the dining hall of the Castle

Ponies have hooves... Not feet, though, fix it or don't, it doesn't really impact the story

Before Celestia could respond, the changeling disappeared in a flash of green light. The princess stood there, paralyzed with fear. Eventually she let out a deep breath, before turning to her sister.

“Why did you agree?” she asked, slightly shaking.

“Because I'm a changeling,” said Luna, turning into a changeling.

8902698
And then started Celestia's 1000 years of paranoia

Im loving this, super cool world building and the history you have created between celestia and chrysalis is pretty awesome. Makes everything have a little more depth to it. Can't wait to read more!

Before I start. Writer I need a reply letting me know you're alive

9188145
I am pretty sure I am alive. Probably not emotionally, but physically, I do have a pulse

9188864
Well. Ok then... Just gonna read this story now and hope you feel better emotionally

Some parts of this story are exceedingly painful to read. Writing Celestia as such a violent xenophobe is unorthodox to say the least.

All in all, however, it is a good read so far.

Truly hate and fear can cause much harm and suffering. While time may heal some wounds, something's can never be stoned either. It will be interesting to see how you continue this story.

Hey. Um, i dont mean to be a bothe but, will this be continued? Because so far im really enjoying it and would love to read more

I really hope that this story will be continued, and not left behind in the sands of time.

Read the story again and I'm looking forward to you coming up with more chapters if you do find your motivation once more.

Login or register to comment