• Published 16th Apr 2017
  • 5,449 Views, 76 Comments

Embers of Passion - Bakmah Genesis



Chrysalis spent years spying on Twilight, trying to figure out what gave her the upper hand to defeating her. Upon discovering her own feelings, she tries to flee Ponyville, only to get captured and forced to agree to work alongside Equestria.

  • ...
16
 76
 5,449

A Trip to the Hive

Three days had passed since the forced cooperation between Chrysalis and Twilight. After building up her courage, the two of them decided they would head out to the hive to break the news of their new alliance. Having hoped to put it off longer, but ultimately forced by Princess Celestia, Chrysalis had no choice.

After packing up supplies for the trip and a quick transformation into True Heart, the two of them headed out towards the Everfree, Twilight questioning their chosen path. “Are you certain the Everfree is the only way to your hive?”

“Yes” Chrysalis said with a sigh. “We put it in the Everfree Forest to prevent other ponies from discovering it. Well, except a zebra. She was rather calm about it all and didn’t rat us out. She occasionally comes to the hive for medical assistance.”

“You mean Zecora knew of your existence all this time and didn’t turn you in? That's harboring a felon!” Chrysalis huffed.

“She lives away from civilization and saw other beings in need and assisted them. I hardly doubt that is grounds to be arrested for. In my opinion, she was well within reason to do so.” The two of them stayed quiet as they entered the forest, Twilight hesitating just at the edge before entering.

“If it is alright with you,” started Chrysalis, keeping her eyes out for stray creatures. “I want to stop by Zecora’s hut since it is on the way and not far off from the hive. I think she should be there for the announcement.”

To the reluctance of Twilight, the two of them headed down the familiar path to Zecora’s hut. Twilight had the route memorized, having been to the zebra’s hut numerous times to socialize, or due to antics by the other elements of harmony. Chrysalis herself knew it well, having visited the zebra for some tea and to heal wounds on a few occasions.

The two of them quietly admired the odd beauty of the forest. While it was a wild, untamed beast, it had a sort of calm to it that was both offsetting and attracting in nature. It was truly a one in a kind forest.

Eventually, the smell of burning incense and herbs dominated the air. Soon, the lights from Zecora’s hut was visible. There was a thick stream of smoke coming from the chimney. Chrysalis strode up to the door of the hut, giving it a swift knock. After a series of shuffling on the other side, the door cracked open.

“Ah, Queen Chrysalis. Wasn’t expecting you today.” said Zecora, opening the door to let them in. Twilight raised her eyebrow at the zebra as they enter her hut. “I also wasn’t expecting you to have company.”

“A new alliance of sorts.” shrugged the changeling, sitting on the lone cot in the corner. “Hopefully it doesn’t end in flames like usually.”

“Indeed. I don’t want a repeat of the trip after your invasion. It took weeks to replenish my stock.” The zebra sighed as she went back to the cauldron in the center of the room. “So what is it that brought you to my hut today?”

“Wait a second, why aren’t you rhyming like allways?” said Twilight squinting her eyes at the zebra. Zecora blinked before chuckling.

“It is difficult to make a continuous rhyme and hold a conversation. Plus, Chrysalis asked for me not to rhyme around her for the sake of being able to understand what I am saying better.” The changeling shrugged.

“Having to try and figure out meanings to words is a skill I want to save for when I am on a mission, not having a casual conversation.” Clearing her throat, Chrysalis turned to Zecora. “Anyways, we came to invite you to the hive. I need to make a speech regarding our new… alliance and the changes that will evidently take place in a few months.”

The zebra stared hard at her brew for a moment before sighing. “What happens between your race and the Equestrians is none of my concern. Whatever happens I will still aid you when you are injured and need remedies. As long as you do not drag me into whatever war may become of this if it goes wrong.”

“Very well.” said Chrysalis as she stood. The changeling walked towards the door, stopping right at the threshold. “You have been a great friend, Zecora. I promise to make it up to you one of these days.”

“No more invasions would be nice.” quipped the zebra with a smirk. Chrysalis chuckled as she left the hut, Twilight in tow. The alicorn was still in a state of confusion on what just happened.

The next half hour was spent in silence as the two of them walked towards the hive. Twilight began to get nervous as the forest got thicker as they went. She could not tell if Chrysalis was truly leading her to the hive or just to her demise.

Finally, the two of them stopped in front of a cliff face. Twilight blinked, turning to the changeling. “This...can’t be it. There’s nothing here!” Chrysalis laughed at the mare.

“Twilight, you are talking to a changeling. You should never believe what you see.” The changeling took a few steps back before suddenly sprinting headlong into the cliff. Twilight was about to ask her what she was thinking when the changeling suddenly went through the wall.

The mare blinked, baffled by her sudden disappearance. Taking a deep breath, she took a few steps back before running towards the wall. Just before impact, she winced. She kept her eyes closed until she realized she didn’t anything. Opening her eyes, she found herself in a well lit cave with Chrysalis chuckling at her.

“Ingenious, yes? At first glance and feel, the wall is whole. But when you run into the center, it is nothing but an illusion. I learned it from a few foreign ponies I met a couple years back.” Twilight looked back at the wall she went through before following behind Chrysalis down the cave.

Green crystals lined either side of the wall, washing the cave with bright light. The cave then opened up into a large dome that was split into three stories, the two of them entering from above. Twilight could only look on in awe as the green lit room swarmed with changelings flying from one place to another.

“This place is massive.” said Twilight in awe. Chrysalis laughed guiding her towards the staircase down. “How did you manage to build this place? Was this already existing or did you have to make it?”

“Lots and lots of digging magic.” said Chrysalis, walking down towards the center of the room where her throne sat. “We spent about three months digging out the cave, and for the longest while all the hid it was a crappy bush. Kinda ameture for a race a spies, to be honest.”

Twilight looked around her, every changeling was stopping what they were doing and staring at her. She could not gauge their emotions and began to get nervous. “Ignore them.” said Chrysalis, snapping her out of her thoughts. “They won’t try anything with me next to you. They know if they do it would be met with great consequences.”

“You're acting like you actually care.” said Twilight with a raise of her eyebrow. Chrysalis blushed, coughing uncomfortably. The alicorn was about to say something as the changeling queen flared her wings, flying the rest of the way to the throne. Rolling her eyes, Twilight did the same, landing just next to her.

Chrysalis watched as the floor around the throne quickly filled with curious changelings. Soon, the entire population of the hive was gathered before her, waiting for an explanation why she brought a pony into their hive.

“I am not prepared for this.” mumbled the queen.