• Published 19th Apr 2017
  • 7,018 Views, 152 Comments

The Guardian - Alexshy



A regular human Alex gets transferred to Equestria. Desperate to return home at first, he notices himself changing. The time comes for him to decide for Equestria destiny. Will he conform? Which path will he choose? Are Celestia's fears justified?

  • ...
38
 152
 7,018

18. Ascension

Author's Note:

To the fans - no, don't put your hopes up,
to the haters - don't even expect me giving you such an easy nitpicking reason,
the overused and annoying trope of "turning the human OC into an alicorn" (or even a pony) shan't ev'r be used in that book.

“Oh! It’s so wonderful, girls!” Twilight stretched out on the blanket with the visible pleasure, inhaling the field scents deeply. She threw a glance over her shoulder. “Feels like summer still, right? Hard to believe it’ll become damp and cold really soon.”

The small fluffy clouds ran like sheep from Crystal Zoo across the purest blue sunlit sky, the only difference was – they ran silently, throwing rare shadows on the hill, where the friends gathered for the picnic. The grass waved around a few blankets, they put under the single large maple tree, which spread its branches widely above the hilltop, its still green leaves spluttered lazily. Brought by the light wind, apple aroma filled the air, forcing out the less pleasant smells, coming from the railroad far behind their backs. Only a few titmice broke the blessed silence with their chatter, hiding somewhere in the maple crown and jumping from twig to twig; they definitely expected some catch, when the girls addressed their tea and snacks.

“Well, not that soon, sugarcube. The good portion of our apples is still getting ripe for the season,” Applejack watched the ladybug, busily climbing the grass stem in front of her eyes. The ladybug reached the top, sat for a moment, as if pondering in the sunshine, then spread its tiny wings and soared, when Applejack blew on it lightly. Moving the stetson aback the mare threw a proud glance on her orchard, spreading far below the hill. “And the wind is still southern,” added she, when the distant noise and laughter reached their ears, brought from the school barely visible behind the various foliar trees.

“Yeah, it’s not even near the Nightmare Night,” dropped Pinkie. She was cutting circles around them in her usual jumpy manner, stopping from time to time and looking for something in the thick grass. “But you’re right about one thing, Twi – we should gather more often.”

“I know, girls, I mean, it’s fluctuating… The weather…” elaborated Twilight, following the single maple leaf floating to the ground and holding herself from adding “the spirits”. “You won’t deny, we have progressively less awesome days.”

“Not my fault! We’re simply following orders directly from Cloudsdale,” smirked Rainbow Dash, chewing a straw lazily. “Mostly…”

“… autumn is coming and we didn’t yet have many reasons for joy,” continued Twilight pensively. “This summer was quite strange and chaotic, if I may say so. Full of events, on the one hoof, but hardly always enjoyable, on the other.”

“Hmpf, somepony even managed to miss the Gala this season,” huffed Rainbow, turning around; she was laying on her back watching the clouds before. “Not that I was a huge fan of gatherings of that kind, you know. But the mere fact…”

“This Gala had a few moments to observe!” It wasn’t obvious if Pinkie simply stated the fact or decided to tease Rainbow a little; she finally stopped and turn to her friends, revealing what occupied her for the last few minutes. She managed to gather the yet rare colourful fallen maple leaves, flaunting a freshly made wreath in her pink cotton candy like mane; how she wove it that fast was another mystery. “I mean, a few dancing rounds definitely were,” she giggled and Applejack nodded in agreement.

“I can imagine,” muttered Rainbow Dash a bit grumpily, she didn’t yet resign to the fact that getting rid of human became an unreachable dream; the summation of that and what she was already told about the gala made the pegasus frown. “Two weirdos found each other,” she blew a raspberry and spread her wings, like shaking the discontent off. “Now they are even closer… darker… stranger… Humans are not supposed to fly, right? And princesses – to dance with those humans!” She puffed like a big sparrow. “I wonder what else those two can throw out.”

“Don’t say that you’re afraid of them,” chuckled Applejack. “The Most Daring Mare in…”

“So, you admit that, eh, Jackie?” squinted Rainbow; Applejack replied with a fixed and eloquent stare.

“Oh, come on,” Twilight laughed, watching her sulky cyan friend. “Don’t you think it’s time to forget about that zapped tail, eh, Dashie?”

“Blame Pinkie, she mentioned Nightmare Night,” retorted Rainbow, pique and amusement fought inside of her.

“Well, the prankster should always expect to be pranked herself,” Twilight looked at her fixedly. “That’s the point.”

“As I said,” added she. “Gathering more often would be nice, especially in the face of latest events, I won’t even avoid saying dangers.”

“Ah’m worried about those timberwolves,” Applejack cocked her head, interpreting Twilight’s words in her own way. “They say those gits begin approaching the town again… and… there are more of ‘em lately. Ah thought we taught them a lesson last time, but they seem to be hard-learning…”

“Wasn’t it enough for them, when Spike made the one specifically big and nasty fall?” smirked Pinkie.

“Eh? What? They are in that large basket, Twi…” Spike, who fell asleep next to Twilight under the warm sun rays, rose his head at the sound of his name; his eyes were half-closed and before reaching the end of the phrase, he yawned widely and dropped flat again, causing a smile on everypony’s muzzle.

“Yeah, the hero of the day!” Twilight covered him with a blanket edge.

“He wouldn’t be so sleepy, if somepony else was here!” noticed Applejack. “Speaking of which, where are they, sugarcube? Rarity and Flutters?”

“They were going to join us later. Let’s say the latest changes made Rarity review her concept of human’s clothes… and Fluttershy volunteered to help her today.”

Rainbow snorted quietly, but hearable enough to make it sound deliberate.

“Timberwolves are a certain problem indeed, but I rather meant another threat,” Twilight’s tone became more serious. “The monsters you all were informed about already… We call them Seekers…”

“We?” Applejack and Rainbow even got up a bit.

“Seekers?” Pinkie raised one eyebrow, tilting her head.

“Well…” Twilight prepared for the talk, yet it looked more complex in reality. “I’ll answer all questions in chronological order, I promise. Have patience girls,” she took a deep breath and sat straight on the blanket. “There are a few serious things I need to tell you.”

“We” means the princesses, me, Alex naturally and Fluttershy. She was to be informed due to obvious reasons, I mention later…And, well, Spike knows as much…” Twilight shrugged, checking if her aide slept undisturbed. “Believe it or not, it took us quite some nerves to decide that everypony being informed is less dangerous than otherwise.”

Rainbow Dash huffed resentfully, but calmed down under the quick glance of her lilac friend, while Twilight continued.

“Moreover, you will be surprised, that everypony, including you, knows about those monsters almost as much as we do… except for two things,” Twilight took a meaningful pause. “Which ain’t changing anything actually, nor should change your cautiousness regarding the Seekers. But you need to know anyway, and considering somepony has doubts regarding Alex still…” she fell silent, watching Rainbow Dash meaningfully.

“You think you can convince me?!” Rainbow cocked her snoot.

“It’s worth trying, believe me,” simply shrugged Twilight.

“Okay, Ah can see yar reasons,” Applejack blinked a few times and nodded. “Go on, partner, spill the beans.”

“As I said everything you were already told about them was correct, including them being extremely dangerous. But they were not some random “magical anomaly”,” sighed Twilight. “They were sent by somepony on purpose and they indeed search for something, when not disturbed.”

“Him!” Rainbow even jumped on the spot, making Spike twitch in his sleep and snore loudly. “Trust me, they look for…”

“Calm down, Dash,” Twilight smirked sadly. “They don’t… and I’ll explain the reasons, making us know that for sure. They aren’t some… interdimensional police, if that’s what you’re implying.”

“Sent by whom? Changelings, Sombra… but wasn’t he defeated completely?” Pinkie picked the problem at its root. “I wouldn’t like to deal with either again really…”

“Princess Celestia thought it could be some remnants of Sombra’s magic, as the Seekers appeared from within the Dark Mist. But we dropped that idea, too complex for him, both magic and scheme-wise, as it appeared. Not that straightforward… We don’t know yet what exactly they are seeking,” Twilight shook her head slowly. “Maybe because each time they ran into somepony fast enough and needed to be dealt with immediately, before…”

“Ah’m sorry, but you said there were two things. So?”

“Yes, Jackie, and another thing additionally explains, why Fluttershy knows everything. We found out that Alex was a… quite effective “weapon” against those Seekers. Completely by an accident,” Twilight answered to the three wild glances. “Actually he suggested to try that himself, keeping in mind his magic resistance and them being obviously magical creatures. And it worked perfectly. Then we found out the Seekers were not independent, being artificially created for some purpose. Alex took down a few since then…”

“So, the warehouse…” squinted Pinkie and Twilight simply nodded.

“It happened before the Equestria-wide warning was issued. Truth be told, that accident made Celestia issue it.” Twilight took a deep breath and added. “The dam accident had the same roots. Alex managed to stop the Seeker, but couldn’t help those two ponies…”

“What makes you think they are not looking for the human?” Rainbow Dash remained sceptical. “Or that… their opposition wasn’t just a show…”

“Trust me, princess Celestia considered that possibility,” Twilight let out a tiny smile. “That actually has no sense. Alex can’t cast any magic. I mean exactly – cast, as his magic resistance is somewhat magic on its own, of course. Ugghhh… It’s hard to explain simpler!” she shook her head. “Besides, these creatures feel him and avoid at any cost. Wouldn’t it be more rational, if somepony, wanting to get Alex, sent something… more reliable and durable to human’s influence for that task?”

“Anyway, as Alex is directly involved, that explains, why Fluttershy knows everything,” she returned to the main question. “And there is one more thing: when somepony is objected to the Seekers’ influence, they fall into some kind of coma… except they are actually conscious, well, some kind of mentally inert condition, apathetic… You get the drift.” Twilight gave up. “These victims look completely “soulless”, as if they lose the mere wish to do anything at all… Completely,” Twilight hesitated. “As awful as it sounds, completely brain-dead.”

“But that condition can be reverted to the simple amnesia, if they are exposed to Fluttershy’s Stare. And as you know, amnesia can be treated at least.”

The girls sat silently, dumbfounded by her words; Twilight decided to use the moment, quickly adding more information.

“Princess Celestia can take down the Seekers, but it needs a considerable amount of magic force to succeed, they seem to be tough gits. I suppose, a number of powerful enough unicorns can do as well… But Alex can disintegrate these creatures by simply touching them: he is magic resistant; moreover, every harmful magic hitting him reflects, that seems to do wonders in that case. The resulting effect simply tears the monsters in pieces, but… It became more complicated, when some Seekers started to appear materialized, so, Alex couldn’t reach their magical essence that easily, while they began providing certain danger for him.”

“Ah see…” Applejack broke the silence first. “So that’s why he spends so much time at the smithy and yet works not only on his generators. Ah noticed the queue staying almost the same…”

Twilight shortly nodded.

“And then the Tree of Harmony refused to help sending Alex to his home world,” said she quietly. “Despite the princesses were sure it could. But instead of that the portal exploded… giving him the wings.”

The grumpy huff told that Rainbow Dash exited the stupor as well, making Twilight smirk sadly.

“We came to the conclusion, they were a blessing rather than a problem. As you can guess, Alex can’t travel with magic, but those wings look capable… Well, we don’t know what they are capable of yet, but the problem is – he needs to learn to control them properly first.”

“I’m not asking you personally,” Twilight turned to Rainbow. “But maybe… It’s harder than it seemed. Alex’s acrophobia kills the best efforts, even if he fights it through thick and thin. We are to teach him at the lake, so his falls aren’t lethal…”

“I can’t convince you otherwise, right?” Dash replied with the most stubborn expressions of hers. “Even if I think that you doing it to the detriment of us… This doesn’t look right at all to me, too many coincidences, if you ask, pal!”

“It depends on what coincidences you’re taking into account…” Twilight slowly shook her head.

“I will help!” Pinkie was blunt and determined, as she could be. “What’s the point of the wings, if you can’t fly, right? I can help on the water, just in case,” she patted Twilight’s back reassuringly.

“Thanks, Pinkie,” Twilight felt a stone off her shoulders, seeing the girls reaction. “Ufff… I was unsure, if I could explain everything to you…”

“Relax, sugarcube,” Applejack moved closer and hugged her. “You did right and feel better now, don’t you? Frankly speaking, Ah suspected, there was something more to Alex’s hesitation. Is that all we should know about the human, partner?” she tilted her head lightly, Jackie’s eyes were smiling.

“Yeah…” the tiny pause before Twilight’s reply was hardly noticed.

“Don’t rush it,” Rainbow Dash was pensive and not so optimistic. “Others may not share your enthusiasm. I doubt I’m the only one. Besides, just wait till the fillies find out more… Can you imagine? These three squirts will turn him inside out…” she smirked wryly.

“That’s another problem,” sighed Twilight. “Not so crucial, but I can see how it destroys Alex’s confidence… or better say, prevents him of building some rather.” She was to elaborate under the inquiring glances of her friends. “He is unsure about himself yet, not ready to accept the changes. Even if they don’t make him be… not him.”

“What do you mean, sugarcube?!” Applejack looked confused. “Ah thought he finally resigned to the situation he got into.”

“To the situation – yes, but not to the changes to himself…” Twilight searched for better words for a moment. “It keeps happening… and… and I think he feels, he isn’t controlling the process or the consequences. That hardly is pleasant. I don’t know, perhaps he secretly thought that the mere fact of the portal not working was for his benefits rather. He was a stranger here since the very start, but he wasn’t also sure about the reaction, he might get from his own kin. And now… What ponies may think of him?” she threw a quick glance at Rainbow. “First we tell, the human can’t use magic, then it appears he is magic resistant… and then he suddenly gets wings, etcetera. Besides, it seems, Alex doesn’t always know, what to think of himself.”

“Maybe, it’s exact time for a proper “Welcome to Ponyville, Alex!” party?” Pinkie noticed insinuatingly. She was clearly joking, but for a tiny moment the girls almost believed she was serious, looking at her in shock.

“I shouldn’t probably say that… at least I made sure not to show him, but…” Twilight flushed, looking a bit guiltily. “But he looks so funny and touching sometimes, trying to hide his new self from everypony. I remember myself, how strange it must have looked from aside, especially considering I was a pony anyway…” she shrugged. “I can see his reasons though, as far as I know, humans aren’t supposed to have wings and fly.”

“Exactly!” Rainbow raised her fore hoof meaningfully.

“Simply admit it, Dashie,” chuckled Applejack. “You’re afraid that with ‘is usual determination the human may learn to fly nicely. Say good-bye to the safe pranks then, eh?!” she kept teasing.

“I would like to have a look at that!” the cyan pegasus snorted sarcastically, soaring and darting in the air like a jet; she made a perfect loop, then landed at the same place, folding her wings, as nothing happened. “Hmpf!”

“Oh, come on, Dash! Can you be serious,” Twilight rolled her eyes. “Do you want to know, what his typical day looks now?”

“Go on, enlighten us!” giggled Rainbow, but the two other girls nodded with real interest.

“Okay,” Twilight squinted. “What should I start with? Alex can’t control his wings properly yet. So, he is to wear the belt, fixing them in place and not letting to manifest their own will. And I’m not joking here. He sneaks from the Library as early as he can without depriving himself of sleep completely; all that to avoid the neighbours and their attention. It’s been a couple of days only, but it’s Ponyville: I heard ponies started speculating already. It’s a matter of time before somepony suggests own theory, which may be more wicked than the truth.”

“That looks a bit overboard for one not seeing attention,” Pinkie scratched behind her ear. “But he can’t do otherwise either, can’t lock himself, right?”

“Even if that was possible, that wouldn’t do well. Loading with work, any kind of it, he distracts himself from… well, from the nightmares he practically has at day time as well, when left alone with his thoughts. Not to mention the nights…” Twilight stumbled. “I can catch him working: writing, drafting something, performing calculations. We don’t touch the mess on his table. So, Jackie, you were right – the generators were only a stage; as soon as that idea started living on its own, he started to improve the technology… and armour provides suitable ground for that.”

“Anyway, he literally snakes to the smithy before sunrise, blessing the morning, if it is foggy, as I noticed, and stays there for the whole day. I guess it became a sort of advantage that ponyvillers avoid the blacksmith in general,” Twilight let out a sad smile. “Wonder though what Alex does, when a client appears; they started having occasional orders, you know.”

“Just give it time, pal,” Rainbow produced a sarcastic mien. “He is lucky, the school started and the girls are loaded with studies. They don’t drop the idea, I saw them sneaking around the smithy one evening, a day or two before. It was quiet and they fished nothing, but… Hey, maybe it’s easier not to hide! I mean as long as Ponyville is generally okay with Discord, hardly a winged human can be a problem. Besides, he can’t fly, so it’s not much of a difference,” the ruffian expression was clearly written across the cyan muzzle.

“First of all, it’s not funny,” said Twilight dryly. “In their current state Alex’s wings possess more danger to himself, than anypony around. You haven’t seen what they did the first time, Dashie!”

“As for Discord, he isn’t a usual guest in the town anyway. Others merely know, he tends to appear occasionally and… generally behave himself now. Alex is another story, he may have found some inner peace with his fate, his place in our world, doing what he can do the best; however, he isn’t ready to accept the changes to himself yet. I bet, he sighs with relief, finding the same reflection in the mirror each morning.”

She fell silent for a while, watching sleeping Spike absently.

“A familiar feeling,” Twilight raised her eyes on the friends finally. “Although, I was and still am at my own place and nothing changed around me that drastically. Nopony feared or suspected me of anything. Yet I still don’t know if I truly conform to my current role…” she sighed.

“Well, back to my story,” Twilight shook her bangs. “The day ends and he sneaks back the same way, staying in the shadows. Thankfully, the Library occupies some ground, so we don’t have neighbours peeking directly into our windows. Two of them actually asked, if I didn’t notice anything strange,” she chuckled. “They tried to sound polite and sympathetically interested…”

“And?” Pinkie stared at her friend with a sly smirk. “What did you tell?”

“What could I tell?” Twilight shrugged. “It’s up to him, what and when to tell. I pulled a smile and told them that must be Alex bringing his metal stuff in a backpack. Frankly speaking, I don’t know if they believed, but I closed the question for the moment at least.”

That revelation brought smiles even on Rainbow and Applejack’s muzzles, the latter shook her head a bit reproachfully.

“Look, mates,” Rainbow yawned and stretched deliberately. “I always thought that picnic supposed some snacks! I swear I can swallow a haystack!” she sniffed the nearest basket defiantly. “Rarity and Flutters must hurry, if they want to get the best pieces,” added she under the girls’ laughter.

However, Twilight looked pensive, pondering if she could allow herself to share, what she unwittingly heard the last evening in Canterlot.

*

“…Methinks what hath befallen at the Tree of Harmony was wondrous! It’s about time he stopped feeling so different and lonely hither, now he hath more reasons to change his mind. Being the part of this world isn’t that bad, in the earnest.”

It was unclear if the Princess of the Night addressed her sister or simply verbalized her own thoughts. The large dining room was mildly lit by the fading sunlight, accompanied by a moderate number of candles. As usual, the regal sisters met at the evening, the time when the Day Crown hoofed the court to the Night Crown, and with the court came the duties and burdens, so did the responsibility.

Celestia watched the narrow pink stripe at the western edge of the sky through the wide-open window, feeling as the cooling breeze blew away daily fatigue and troubles, preparing herself for a short, but so anticipated rest. Luna, on the contrary, was full of energy and enthusiasm; she slept like a foal and got down to the dinner with a mysterious smile on her muzzle, making lavender aroma flood the hall. She paid due attention to the culinary mastery of the chief, but her thoughts seemed to be somewhere far from the castle. Luna’s thinking out loud told that the restful sleep was only partly to blame for her cheerful radiance; it interrupted Celestia’s thoughts, making her stare at the younger sister.

“I see, you are quite eager to integrate Alex into the pony society,” noticed the Princess of the Day. “More than anypony of us, except maybe Fluttershy and Twilight, seemingly even more than Alex himself is.”

“I simply see no reason, why what Fluttershy did to me a couple of years afore couldn’t work another time. Integrated or not, I want Alex to feel welcome,” the quick sly glance of the blue eyes was self-explanatory.

“Oh, I have no doubt, Lulu!” Celestia was to call to her prudence. “I could have suspected you enjoying the older sister role for a change, if I saw less,” she took a deep breath, getting another starry glance in response. “But ponies started talking about you… different things. Maybe not always suitable for the princess.”

“That I finally found somepony, I find interesting spending time with, no? I’d say, to the Tartarus with the image… any image,” smirked Luna, her eyes shimmered in the dim light. “Was running the walls of my room long enough to care about such negligible things as personal image… I nev’r felt that somepony isn’t genuinely indifferent about me hitherto, except you, Tia.”

“And I’m not talking about Twilight, Cadence, Fluttershy or a few other mares,” added she. “If ‘t be true thou art catching the idea.”

Celestia seemed to be caught off guard by this sudden confession. She couldn’t find the words which suited the circumstances; moreover, she was to admit that her sister was right in her own way.

“That’s not your fault anyway, Tia, dost not take it close to thy heart!” Luna continued after a short pause. “I wonder, hast thou been told that somepony, whose opinion was indeed valuable, was gossiping? Somepony, whose opinion is worth attention forsooth.”

“I mean,” she elaborated seeing that her sister was not following the idea momentarily, “somepony like Fancy Pants or a few others alike?”

“No,” Celestia answered with a tiny smile, getting up and finally catching the route of Luna’s thoughts. She approached her sister, who was ready to address the nightly duties as well, and looked into her eyes evaluatively. “And as far as I noticed, he and Fleur watched you both at the Gala quite benevolently.”

“Well, allowest ‘t be as it is then,” simply said Luna. “I don’t give a flying feather to the inane babbling of a few upper crust hay-heads. Well, unless one of them findeth guts to tell their concerns in mine face, thus I’d know that it is something consideration worthy at least.”

“But the experience telleth me, they have no guts to uphold an entertaining conversation with me, at which hour they can,” she smirked sarcastically. “They have them to confront me neither!”

“And the main thing is,” Luna’s smirk turned into a warm heartily smile, “he treateth me like an equal. A fancy change for a thousand years, isn’t it? He doth not become weak in the knees, at which hour I’m nigh.”

‘Well, not from fear definitely!’ thought she with inward amusement, putting the final stopper. “I can finally feel myself a real mare, not some threat or idol for worshipping, worthless otherwise. Loved simply for who I am… or even despite oft. I can afford to be weak in his company!”

“Fine, Lulu,” Celestia hugged her sister with wings, soothing away the tension. “You’re a big girl and can decide for yourself. Simply be careful please; you may find my concerns exaggerated, but you won’t deny that Alex is… evolving. What into – we don’t know. Are you sure, you can guide the process into the right direction if necessary? I’m not.”

“Oh, Tia!” Celestia’s doubts caused a burst of sincere silvery laughter. “I simply feel it, seeing his dreams was more than enough for me.” Luna nuzzled sister’s shoulder tenderly, then softly slid out of the feathery embrace, ready to face her nightly burdens. “I extend mine hope thy night shalt be restful, sunny!”

“I expect Twilight for a short talk…” Celestia hid a tiny yawn behind her fore hoof gracefully. “Excuse me! I’m almost regret of calling for her so late, but… Please, blueberry, make sure nopony automatically associates the human and you all the time,” she reminded again.

“We are trying,” Luna turned with a smile. “Methinks we coped with that nicely hitherto… However, I suppose we have the right for some innocent entertainment.”

Celestia sighed, wondering what her suspiciously inspired sister could be plotting.

“It was specifically visible at the Gala, Lulu.”

It caused another silvery laughter, the stars in the flowing mane shone brighter for a moment. Enveloped in the blue aura double doors opened, revealing Twilight, frozen in the doorway; eyes dilated, fore hoof raised to knock, before she heard a few last phrases from the talk.

“Good evening, Twilight!” with a mysterious smile Luna almost pranced past the girl, bathing her in lavender. “Please, beest gentle with thy news, I want Tia to sleep well tonight.”

*

It was the hour, when everypony felt the daily chores, large or small, naturally came to an end, giving way to the more pleasant and relaxing thoughts about the well-deserved rest, time with the friends or family. The Sun, slowly rolling to the West and pouring warm gold onto everything it touched with its rays, the light breeze, still summer-like, the shimmering webs it carried – everything welcomed the beholder to the refreshing walk. The rare red and golden leaves, subtly peeking from the green crowns, like apologizing for their sudden appearance and telling everypony not to pay much attention to them, looking forward to the plenty of warm and nice days, before the real autumn chill would take over.

Thus Ponyville streets filled little by little with ponies, enjoying the pastel September evening and the nice weather generously provided by Her Highness and pegasi weather service. However, there was one mare seemingly not seeing the sunlit gardens, the bronze leaves, not feeling the strong scent of late flowers – plenty of phloxes painted the ground, blooming in the small front gardens in abundance. She nodded absently to the ponyvillers greeting her, leaving them puzzled of what could make the usually well-mannered lady so concerned. Her most pronounced reaction to the outer world was huffing away the long web strand, accidentally landing on her snoot, and frowning in realization what it was.

Rarity tortured her mind for the last few days, trying to find a solution for the problem, Alex generously provided. Again. She realized perfectly that it wasn’t the lack of inspiration, as exactly the inspiration was the key tool to start every work with, according to Rarity’s rules. Still, she didn’t want to justify the futility of all the ideas visiting her so far. The problem was purely technical, but that made it even worse.

Making clothes for earth ponies, for pegasi, for unicorns was her vocation, usually brought to perfection. All the kinds of clothes, from work robes to top fashionable dresses for the gala. She never failed to surprise even the princesses and any combination of physical and magical features of her customer wasn’t an obstacle on her road to success. But not in that case.

With a sigh Rarity thought that ponies could make their wings squeeze through the relatively small openings in the dresses she made; maybe due to the magic or being able to control their wings almost since birth. There wasn’t any chance that Alex could master the same level in the nearest perspective, pulling wings that large through some common clothes seemed completely impossible as well, making the diligent fashionista tiredly roll her eyes.

‘Maybe… I can make that work…’ a few of her latest ideas seemed at least feasible to Rarity. She pondered how to make Alex’s shirts, or whatever that would be, simple enough, functional… and not turning into the shreds the moment he tried to put them on. However, remembering about more challenge, imminently approaching winter would provide, brought her close to despair.

‘Thinking of it now, we never needed some complex warm outfits… Except for hats, scarves and boots sometimes, unless somepony needs skates,’ Rarity sported a tiny smile.

Suddenly she caught herself on stopping in the middle of the street, raising one fore hoof with a quite pensive expression, so a few ponies passing by stared at her perplexedly. With a tiny squeak Rarity flushed and hurried along her way.

‘Winter will be a complete nightmare, especially if snowy and windy,’ thought Rarity, approaching the Golden Oak Library. ‘He needs something warm, yet not restricting his wings and allowing to be easily put on… or taken off.’ Rarity flushed slightly, seemingly recalling her first “stitching drafts”.

The edge of town was quieter and almost nopony interrupted the girl’s flow of reflections. However, she managed to catch some glimpse of strangeness through the corner of her eye, crossing the nearly empty square. Rarity stopped at Twilight’s front door and stared; the glass in the lower part of the frame on the right to the door was broken, a few remaining shards framed the hole, glistening sharply in the oblique sunrays.

With the growing concern Rarity knocked on the door. Hearing nothing but some light crunching, she knocked again.

“Hear you, I’m coming… Just a moment!” Rarity’s tightened nerves relaxed a bit upon hearing Spike’s voice; a moment later he opened the door, squinting against the sunlight and holding a brush and a scoop in another paw.

“Oh…” Spike stumbled and cleared his throat. “R-rarity… Come on in! And… sorry for that little mess… Take a seat, while I-I’m getting rid of it.”

“Good evening, Spikey!” With a smile Rarity waved her mane almost regally, heading to the couch; Spike’s eyes followed the unicorn girl, he forgot to close his mouth, then recollected himself, letting out a loud sigh.

“So what’s happened?” with tiny remnants of concern in the voice she turned to the little dragon. “I saw the broken glass and…” Rarity shuddered a little bit theatrically.

“Well…” Spike suddenly giggled. “That’s evening mail. Derpy’s delivery,” he raised one brow, looking for undoubted understanding. “Not the first time she mistakes the side window for the mailbox,” with a sigh he continued brushing the small shiny splinters onto the scoop. “Simply give me a minute.”

“Errmmm…” It was Rarity’s turn to be undecided upon laughing or being puzzled.

“Yeah,” Spike huffed, accurately picking the larger shards out of the frame and adding them to the heap. “I asked Twilight if we should put mica in those windows instead of glass.” He raised and winked to Rarity. “This way it would be eatable at least when broken.”

Rarity watched him carrying away the broken glass, she opened and closed her mouth a few times. Silently.

“We were lucky, the package wasn’t too big!” Spike nodded to the thick grey envelope on the low table next to Rarity’s couch; he returned with the new glass and a small hammer. “Otherwise the whole frame would be a memory.”

“He seems to be completely busy with that new contract, darling,” Switching her attention to the package Rarity noticed the bold letters “CSC” on it, she hoofed the envelope slightly, hearing the rustle of papers. “Since he’s not going anyway from Equestria…”

Spike indefinitely shrugged. Watching him accurately pulling away the thin planks with the claws, then fitting the glass into the frame, Rarity relaxed gradually; her expression became pensively absent again, as her concerns, flushed away by the sudden disturbance, returned.

I fope, wu excwuse phee. I need fo fix that firft…” mumbled Spike through the nails he held in his teeth. Only the sound of the hammer, precisely driving the nails into the frame, broke the silence the next few minutes. Fitting the last plank, Spike smiled apologetically. “The nights become cooler, besides some moths may fly in…”

“Oh, of course…” Rarity nodded fast, showing all possible understanding after the moths being mentioned.

“Tea?” Spike enjoyed the role of a host twice more afore the proper spectator. “We have some hayburgers and a strawberry cake.” He seemed to just notice her deep concerns. “What’s in your mind, Rarity, you look… well, pensive to say the least.”

But before Rarity could work out the brief and definite description of her worries, the voices behind the front door made them both turn their heads and perk the ears. The giggling told Rarity and Spike that the girls enjoyed some joke, the male voice obviously belonged to Alex. A few, pitch black against the low Sun, silhouettes appeared in the doorway.

“… you should be more optimistic! To tell the truth, it didn’t come into my head to fly above the lake, when I only started learning… Thus not only my self-esteem was in danger.” Twilight snorted, letting Pinkie and Fluttershy forward. “Although, if all the tricks we saw were performed horizontally, Rainbow could become jealous indeed.”

“Thank you, Twi, I can always rely on your word of encouragement,” a larger figure totally overshadowed the open door behind Twilight. Alex was to bend slightly not to hit the frame with his folded wings.

“Oh, don’t take to heart; I told you, it would take time… especially considering you have not the best flight teachers in Equestria. On the other hoof, we are patience embodied, right, Flutters?”

“Yeah, even me,” winked Pinkie, when she put the mask and flippers, she held in her teeth, onto the small table. “And that really counts!”

“Well, girls, one thing you are right about – I’m hopeless!” Alex closed the door and turned to the company, noticing Rarity nesting on the couch with comfort made him visibly stumble.

The unicorn fashionista alternated from Alex to Twilight, to Fluttershy, to Pinkie, then back again, noting for herself the slightly ruffled look of the girls, strange Pinkie’s belongings and exhausted, but at the same time wary Alex. Shirtless, his hair soaking wet, even the seemingly long walk didn’t help them to dry, so, drops fell on Alex’s shoulders, strained muscles rolled under his skin – all those caused Rarity’s heart to make a flip. Probably her narrowed eyes and light flush were the exact reasons of Alex’s stumbling; she noticed his feathers ruffled barely noticeable, while wings were still restrained by the tight belt.

“What were you up to, folks?” Rarity raised one brow inquiringly.

Alex and Twilight answered almost in unison.

“Swimming.”

“Flying…” Twilight shrugged and added. “Well, learning to…”

“Speak for yourself!” They exchanged quick glances and couldn’t hold back laughter, making Fluttershy and Pinkie naturally join them; Rarity, however, looked even more puzzled, than before asking.

“I’m… Errmmm, girls are trying to teach me to stay in the air for more than a minute straight,” under her pleadingly curious glance Alex finally had mercy. “Or at least land, not crash instantly,” he sighed, flopping on the couch… prudently leaving some space between himself and Rarity.

“As I still fail at any of these tasks, we train at the lake. Naturally, I spend more time in the water than above it!”

Pinkie’s nose twitched funnily from carefully stifled laughter and Fluttershy crossed the room, quickly landing next to Alex and wrapping her fore legs around him.

“It’s not that bad, Alex. Remember, we only started!” She leaned and nuzzled his shoulder tenderly; Alex’s right wing twitched, like trying to give the pegasus girl a hug. “Pegasi learn to fly as foals and you just got the wings, besides you are bigger than any of us. It will come with time…”

It seemed Rarity’s surprise weathered out a bit, as she made a tiny move, sliding closer. Alex brushed his fingers through Fluttershy’s mane and noticed nothing, but there was another pair of eyes on guard: Spike made a grumpy face, pursing his lips and raising one brow. Forestalling any words Twilight stretched hard, arching her back and opening her wings.

“I’m dying of hunger!” she shifted weight from one fore hoof to another. “Don’t know about others, but exercise always woke my appetite. I’m sure, mates, you won’t refuse of some snack; let’s see, what we have…” Twilight trotted by lightly, heading to the kitchen, she threw an unequivocal glance at Spike; the next moment lilac aura wrapped the dragon, habitually placing him on her back.

“Come on, Spike. I need your priceless help!”

“What is this for, darling?” Rarity nodded towards Pinkie’s flippers and mask, using the moment to subtly slide closer again.

“Hmmm… As Alex already mentioned, his attempts to fly end in the lake mostly,” Pinkie leaned back in the armchair, apparently, she managed to spend quite a lot of her endless energy today. “Normally it wouldn’t be a problem for him,” she waved her fore hoof in the air. “But with the wings that large… We were unsure if they wouldn’t weigh too much when wet, he could need some help in the water. And I have some diving experience,” she smirked.

“By the way, didn’t you notice that your wings seemed way larger, when you tried to fly?” Pinkie looked at Alex pensively. “I thought they should be a problem, while standing straight on the ground… but they aren’t now. Alex?!”

“Errmmm…” Alex turned to her, finally paying some attention to the question, he was telling something in the yellow fluffy ear before. “What, sorry?” Suddenly he found Rarity almost next to him on the couch and sighed inwardly, presented by a dreamy glance of her eyes; Rarity batted her eyelashes innocently.

“I said that your wings seem to change their size according to what the situation demands!” Pinkie leaned on the table, placing her chin on her fore hooves and watching them with the true naturalist interest. “Because, you know, they look larger in the air… Well, while you are in the air,” she couldn’t hold back a giggle.

“If you say so,” Alex shrugged, noticing that Rarity made another tiny shift. “I would be happy already, if I learn how to make them kill me not at least. I really don’t know what they are capable of and not sure if I…”

The faint tingling of cups interrupted him, Twilight and Spike returned with the tea. Nesting in another armchair Twilight took an evaluating look over the company, her magic sliced the barely tasted cake into six equal portions, even before she placed the tray with it and a large teapot on the table. Spike placed his one with the teacups and saucers next and raised his eyes, a momentary shadow ran across his face at the view of Rarity almost snuggling to Alex on the couch; Twilight’s protégé opened and closed his mouth with a frown. However, Spike oriented fast enough, with a loud deliberate sigh he nonetheless occupied the remaining free spot next to Rarity, rendering Alex chances to liberation zero and leaving Alex to guess, if that little revenge or simple proximity to the object of admiration made Spike smile widely.

“And what’s this?” Pinkie broke the silence, spent in passing the cake slices and teacups, while Twilight generously filled the latter with hot tea. “Let me free some space,” she picked up the large envelope, examining it and staring on the CSC logotype. She hoofed the packet to Alex. “That must be yours…”

“Oh…” Alex finally paid attention to the envelope. “Thanks, Pinkie! I’m afraid I can address it tomorrow only, my head is heavy like a boulder now. Never jumped from the high-board, but I guess I am supposed to be a little… hay-head, after all those dives.” He shoved the package between himself and Rarity on the couch, quite in time, as the gap was already barely fitting the pack of blueprints.

“By the way, Derpy “delivered” it through the window again,” mentioned Spike a bit grumpily. However, he was completely focused on Rarity and looked, as if he forgave the hapless mail-mare already. “I’m changing the glass in the lower frame for the third time this year.”

“Spike was busy with the window, right when I came, darling,” Rarity nodded to Twilight a bit absently, she picked her cake slice in small pieces with the teaspoon. Being not a fan of late cakes Rarity fed each second piece to Spike, who looked like ready to spread into a puddle, not even saying a word about preferring some gems to berries in the cake coating.

“Oh, come on, don’t be so hard on Derpy,” Fluttershy produced a merciful, yet faintly reproaching smile. “She’s doing the best she can! Lately she managed to mix the addresses not.”

“I’m not saying anything,” Spike raised his paws. “She tries hard… when she has time to follow the plan calmly. But when she is in a hurry, she is a true hurricane!” punned he, making everypony smile involuntarily.

Everypony laughed but Rarity, who missed the talk completely, pensively staring at the one spot somewhere above Twilight’s shoulder again.

“I suppose you have some news, right?” Twilight was to repeat twice, before Rarity woke and focused on the company.

“Well, of course…” Rarity sighed with a tint of confusion. “That was… is quite a challenge, darling!” she rolled her eyes theatrically, making Spike melt and adding dramatically lowering the voice. “I never thought that I could have such troubles with simple everyday clothes. Gala dresses, stage costumes maybe, but not the shirts!”

“Don’t you say that you can’t come up with ideas making human shirts,” properly understanding the source of her friend’s troubles, Pinkie made exaggeratedly big eyes.

“That’s not the question of inspiration, as you might guess,” huffed Rarity, her pride was wounded a bit by Pinkie’s remark, but she let it slide. “It’s rather a technical problem. While at first Alex had the physique quite similar to earth ponies, you can see that now it’s a bit different story,” she threw a spear glance at Alex, who almost felt its touch.

“Well, that’s why we asked for your help, Rarity,” with amusement Twilight watched Rarity eyeing shirtless Alex. “You’re the best, when it comes to fashion and inspiration. If you don’t have any idea, I’m afraid nopony will.”

“Errmmm…” Rarity’s nose flushed a little, but the compliment did its job, bringing the fashionista back to the constructive route. “I looked over a multitude of ideas, darling! Unfortunately, the majority of them,” Rarity frowned. “are either hardly feasible, or… well, let’s say, they will provide a lot of inconvenience to Alex and somepony, who will inevitably need to help him dress in that case.”

Alex listened to the girls, watching the steam coming out of the teapot nose: the stream seemed endless, slowly flowing and seemingly becoming thicker. It almost turned into a cloud of fog, which gathered around the table and slowly rose into the air. ‘How much tea must remain in there, to give all that steam?’

“As you can see, Alex’s new… acquisition makes the task far from simple,” in the meantime continued Rarity. “Everything I made up till today, even the most complex dresses for the princesses, left the shoulders and back area fairly open, so wings were never a problem.” Rarity touched her chin, then shrugged. “Besides, all the pegasi, let alone the alicorns, can make their wings pass through relatively small gaps or sleeves, similar to the base of their wings in size. That’s natural for them.” She sighed almost apologetically. “I’m afraid it’s not our case… or at least I don’t know if Alex can do the same with his wings.”

“As for now, it looks like I can do nothing with my wings, except making some mess,” Alex shook his head sadly, interrupting his contemplation of the steam or fog, which visibly filled the room at the moment; Fluttershy gently stroked his shoulder, trying to comfort.

“I’m sorry, Ahhlex, darling!” Rarity batted her eyelashes. “The best I could come up with was the dual cuts with zippers, from your wings down to the waist. So you can put that “shirt” on over your head and arms into the sleeves, while your wings come through the long gaps freely,” explained she, seeing his dumbfounded expression. “Then you need to close the zippers, so only the small gaps at the wings base are left. I’m afraid that would call for some help from aside, darling.”

“Well, help is not a problem, I suppose,” Twilight looked over her friends. “Right, girls?”

“I begin thinking that using Luna’s tapestry as some sort of toga again is a way out,” Alex held Fluttershy by her shoulders, feeling her warmth. He noticed the enthusiastic nod, Rarity met Twilight’s question with; she even let his sacrilegious suggestion slip past her ears. “But walking around in a toga…” Alex sighed again. “I guess getting in control with my wings is now a question of survival even more.”

“There is also a sleeveless version, but I’m afraid the armholes become too large that way,” Rarity let out a tiny smile. “While it’s okay in summer…” The following pause let everypony present understand, what troubled their couturier friend the most. “I still have no idea what to do with the warm winter clothes.”

“You know, we don’t usually use winter clothes, unless the biting frost comes. And while you can perfectly go without any shirt in summer,” Rarity put another piece of cake into Spike’s mouth and threw another sly glance at Alex. “that’s hardly your variant, when it’s cold and rainy. Sorry, darling!”

“Other ideas are further from perfection,” added Rarity. “I made a few drafts, so…”

“Ummm… Yeah, about those stitching drafts…” Alex remembered something, but Rarity reached her saddle bag, taking out a stack of… pancakes.

Both Twilight and Fluttershy giggle-snorted quietly, Rarity blinked fast over her unusual find, Pinkie leaned forward and licked her lips.

“Hmmm… Quite in time!” She finished her cake long ago and watched the pancakes in Rarity’s shaking hooves.

“I… was… sure…” eyes widened and teary, Rarity inhaled already, but let out all air with a tiny squeak, recoiling and snuggling to Alex suddenly – the teacups, everypony forgot about for a while, grew out grasshoppers’ legs and slowly crawled on the table, trying to escape their owners.

Twilight rolled her eyes and called.

“Discord?!”

“I’m all ears!” with a content giggle a pair of variegated ears appeared in the air, shortly the eyes and wide grin followed and soon the draconequus materialized in entirety, quite proud of himself. “Anything I can do for you?”

Twilight made a face, pointing at the table with the sarcastic glance.

“Oh! I simply tried to revive the talk a bit…” with a finger click, everything went back to normal: the tea-fog disappeared, cups went back to normal, even returning to their places, Rarity held a bunch of papers in her hooves, breathing heavily. Pinkie sighed.

“Do you also think the pancakes fit the tea time greatly?” noticing her disappointment Discord smirked. “I can bring them back probably…”

“No. Way!” Rarity hoofed over her drafts on the table, giving Discord a glance, which could make some cockatrice jealous.

But nothing could discourage him and while everypony leaned closer, taking a better look of Rarity’s suggestion, Twilight watched from the corner of her eye, how Discord crossed the room and subtly appeared behind the human’s back. There he started examining Alex’s folded wings very thoroughly, bending in the air like the large colourful question mark, chuckled quietly and meaningfully once and scratched behind his ear.

Alex looked at the sketches, admiring Rarity’s talent of fast yet characteristically precise drawing and having a feeling that he just forgot something important; using the moment, Rarity leaned to his arm, almost rubbing her mane against, yet accurately hoofing another draft into his view in time. Spike looked more adequate, when not spoon fed by his unicorn muse, obviously, he would prefer the drafts with Rarity herself on them. Pinkie picked one sheet and turned it upside down then back several times, examining; clearly, that one wasn’t the best variant of Alex’s clothes planned by Rarity.

“Aw!” Alex woke to reality, feeling a pull.

“Umm… Just checking one thing,” Discord straightened fast, holding a small black feather, about of palm size. “Those wings are truly an integral part of you, want it or not, even if being magical.” Under Alex’s glance he returned to the free spot next to Twilight.

“If you still don’t believe me, try to stab the certain creature with your feather,” the draconequus smirked, summoning the armchair with another finger click and comfortably nesting in it; he still spun his trophy in front of his eyes. “Well, reflecting magic is, I suppose, also magic of some sort, so I see no contradiction here either,” assumed Discord finally.

“I think it’s right the moment to ask, what and how much you know about the latest events,” Twilight smiled diplomatically. “And, moreover, what you think about them.”

“Okay, of course, I know about the portal,” Discord released the feather, blowing on it and making slowly land in the middle of the table. “But I must admit the results exceeded my expectations by far. Quite fascinating, aren’t they? And answering some questions…”

He fell silent for a while, but nopony hurried him, waiting for the rest of his findings in the silence so solid, that the candle crackling broke it like a stale cookie.

“The main thing we have confirmed now is that Alex was definitely summoned to Equus by the Tree of Harmony,” Discord raised the long finger meaningfully. “And it has certain plans regarding human’s stay in Equestria, not taking him by an accident.”

“What if the Tree was simply unable to return Alex home?” Pinkie spread her fore legs. “We know, even princess Celestia was unable to send him back safely.”

“We return to that aspect shortly,” Discord glanced meaningfully at her and emphasized. “And yes, safely is the keyword, but we may talk about different kinds of “safety” here.”

Alex nodded silently, he caught the thread of Discord’s thoughts – what meant safely to him, didn’t necessarily mean safely to Equestria, and safely to the whole Equus could be also a different thing. Twilight refilled the cups, including the one Discord materialized as usual; Rarity asked for another one – drinking tea from something that had legs was evidently impossible for her.

“Actually I thought about three ways that portal could end with,” after a long pause and sipping his tea continued Discord. “The first and most uninteresting one… and let me say, the least possible one, was Alex staying on Equus and absolutely nothing else happening. Unlikely, right?!” he made a sarcastic face. “Another one, which I didn’t believe, was Alex happily launched,” Discord chuckled, “towards his home world. Understand me properly, I didn’t believe in it happening, not the mere possibility of it.”

“And the third variant,” Discord looked fixedly at Alex. “The third variant was with you staying here, but something naturally going haywire, considering your relationship with magic. Something totally unrelated to you or portal most likely. But the result was completely unexpected.”

“Now back to your idea, my curious pink friend!” he turned to Pinkie, who fiddled on her place, brooding some question. “I’m sure that the Tree of Harmony is more than capable to handle this, that… it could send Alex home easily despite his peculiar features. At least yet…” muttered he, then added louder. “But it wasn’t what it brought him here for in the first place! His wings clearly tell about that.”

“Indeed, it looked the best it could end, if magic was supposed to be altered anyway,” slowly admitted Fluttershy.

“From all the multitude of ways, something could go strange,” Discord nodded to her. “the Tree of Harmony combined its powers and Alex’s ability to actually give him something. He wanted to be transferred. Fine! He was given the method of transportation, the most advantageous one here in Equestria… considering he couldn’t use any magic. Any foreign magic,” added he with emphasis.

“What else except trains and balloons could you probably travel by?” the draconequus winked to Alex slyly. “Especially if you wanted to travel fast!”

“Well, come to think about it…” Alex scratched the back of his head, forcedly admitting that Discord had a fair point. “I’m not sure about fast part though… Actually, I’m not sure about the wings at all yet…”

“Exactly! That is why you really need to learn to control them. I see no problem here, as they are a part of you. You can probably cope with that sudden problem as well…” Discord picked one of Rarity’s drafts and examined it. “To avoid extra help, as miss Rarity said.”

“Returning to our question,” he put the paper down. “At the first possible chance, Alex was given what he lacked the most here – the reliable method of fast transportation. All said clearly tells us a few things. First, the Tree of Harmony deliberately brought him to Equus. Second, She… it’s going to take a much greater role in his fate here, than we could imagine. And…” Discord fell silent, bringing his claws together.

“Come on. I told everypony present about the main aspects!” encouraged Twilight, properly interpreting his silence.

“Well, all combined they make Alex a nice solution against the certain problem,” added Discord subtly. “Certain creatures I mean. And even more than that, as they are hardly the only, moreover, the main problem.”

“You need to control them, Alex,” repeated he, addressing the human. “The faster, the better! Who knows what else you can face.” Seeing how Fluttershy snuggled to Alex, Discord continued on a lighter note. “Besides, you can save yourself and miss Rarity a lot of trouble, if you learn to make them conform more classical clothes indeed. As some of you properly noticed, they already change their size depending on the situation, even without your conscious demand. And… the winter is coming.”

“And now, if you excuse…” Discord clicked his fingers, making his cup, armchair and himself disappear. Differently to his belongings, he faded slowly, leaving the face then overly cheerful grin visible for a while. “Have a nice day!”

“I would like to have as much optimism,” muttered Alex, stroking Fluttershy’s mane and back slowly and thinking that Discord left perhaps more questions than answered, as usual. “And come to a consensus with mine wings, specifically before winter comes. Walking around in a blizzard in some sort of ancient Roman toga doesn’t seem a good idea to me. But squeezing the wings through sleeves… Hmmm…” he shook his head.

“That would really solve so many troubles, darling!” sighed Rarity. “Making your clothes at least not more complex than princesses’ ones.”

“Merlin’s pants!” Alex exclaimed in recalling. “Speaking of flexibility… I’ll come to the hell of work, remaking the armour, now when the wings added to the trouble. Almost start over again with some parts…” he rubbed his temples tiredly.

*

Heavy rainclouds filled the skies; what was a warm sunlit evening suddenly turned dark and gloomy. The first gust of the wind made dust from the road fly, but it cleared the air fast, becoming stronger and colder, it brought freshness and smell of water. It drove its rainy herd, pressing to the ground so close, they looked touching the treetops over Ponyville. Some of the clouds definitely scratched their grey bellies on the hills at the North, as in a few moments rain came down to the ground, filling the distance with swaying misty veil. The lonely sound of thunder ripped the sky far away, rolling its empty cars over the railroad towards the smithy, and in a second the rain curtains wavered over it in waves, like a fresh tide.

The elements made Alex and Will drop their work and seek cover in the large shed with the workbenches; Alex took an extra minute to turn the special shutter, partially covering and thus shielding the smelter neck from the rain water, so he reached the awning above the open doors soaking wet. Thankfully the rain was surprisingly warm. The precaution seemed not so necessary, fanned white-hot the smelter simply evaporated the raindrops, before they reached the opening, the thick column of steam trailed into the sky.

“Hmmm… Autumn is finally taking over,” muttered Will, watching the raging wind and weather. “Nearby pegasi must be raising the water to refill Cloudsdale Weather Factory tanks for it. It’s more serious than it sounds and… this must be the remnants, slipping away and reaching Ponyville as the usual rainstorm.”

Alex let out a smile, he remembered, how Fluttershy told him about her taking part in that procedure once; seeing it with his own eyes would be interesting, although, not entirely safe according to her description. His thoughts seemed to be far from the current events: leaning on the doorpost he folded the arms on his chest, his mind and sight were into another rainstorm, the one he was brought to Equestria by. However, the old blacksmith’s words woke him to reality, somehow reminding about the interrupted work as well.

They spent the whole day, hurrying up to fulfil Canterlot Steam Company request, focusing on it entirely, without any noticeable break. It appeared that usual smelter capabilities were more than enough for the details they produced, thus Alex came to the smithy personally. All the blueprints were at hands and it turned out merely the machine work at the moment. But the work en masse, whole day since early morning, Alex came before sunrise, not to attract unwanted attention, to the late evening, as long as the circumstances and own strength allowed. No wonder that he felt his hands now as a couple of heavy mallets, shoulders strained and his wings constantly reminded of themselves; impatiently jerking, they seemed to wait for the chance to spread and stretch after the hard day.

That self-inflicted time pressure was explicable, the partners wanted to finish with simpler, conveyor job as fast as possible to apply all the resources to the armour making again. Following Alex’s plan they were to remake the standard pony armour with new materials to increase its durability significantly; coming afore Celestia’s eye with something less than perfect was hardly smart, especially if Alex wanted to persuade the princess of the expediency of his project. So, the day was filled with the bearings by CSC order, Alex’s thoughts – with possible complications with their project, as for his own armour… As for his own armour, Alex preferred not to think yet, how he needed to alter it simply to be able to use it. He tried, what Rarity made for him, even with the most convenient variant – with zippers, Alex needed some extra help to put it on quickly enough. The embarrassment of asking Twilight for help each time was stronger than him, so he kept walking around shirtless, while the weather still allowed, seriously considering taking Luna’s tapestry again, when the coolness was going to intensify. Alex hoped for his wings to start obeying his will better and better with time, truth be told their behaviour became more reasonable and obedient already; although, not yet enough to fly freely without any accidents.

“Correct me if I’m wrong, but you look a bit hesitant,” the old unicorn finally voiced up his concern; Willsmash watched Alex subtly the whole day. “Do you expect more troubles with the armour, Alex? More than we already discussed…”

“Not with the armour as such,” Alex sighed, turning over a wooden crate and taking a seat, facing the blacksmith. He leaned on the doorpost again, throwing a glance at the rain veil outside. “We can start with it as soon as we finish that job, uncle Will,” he nodded towards the heap of completed bearings in another crate. “Everything is ready and we can take your old piece as the model, disassembling it, remaking and improving the construction, then putting back together both yours and the new one. It’s the matter of days, but…”

“But I still think if simply demonstrating Celestia the advantages of our model is enough to convince her that our work is meant to do good at the end of the day,” finished he after a few seconds of silence. “Last time I saw the princess, she wasn’t sure if I could become a bigger danger for Equestria than those creatures, especially after she couldn’t send me back home… and I got those,” Alex managed to shrug twice, both with his shoulders and folded wings. “Methinks she hardly changed her mind since then.”

“But you are still positive about offering her our work…” noticed Willsmash, his single eye was smiling.

“Naturally! Because I’m sure that’s what our new equipment is worth,” Alex pointed at the steaming smelter. “That’s what your smithy can and must do, instead of some routine conveyor work. Besides…” he fell silent for a moment. “… I know what those abominations are capable of. They may appear as ethereal, even be ethereal technically, but their kicks can be really deadly. If what we do helps save a few lives… Equestria is large, and I doubt we keep having a couple of Seekers arriving monthly, there shall be more! Many more…”

“With all those monsters appearing, it would be strange to think that you could provide even comparable threat anyway!” Willsmash slowly shook his head.

“She is cautious not about me specifically… rather… about, errmmm… about what I may become eventually,” Alex pretended that he watched the smelter, pondering how to tell old Will about Tia’s concerns not telling too much about himself and Luna.

Naturally, he wasn’t so naïve to suppose that the experienced unicorn knew nothing about their closeness, it was about the degree of closeness, Will could assume; apparently, less than to suspect Alex following Celestia’s plan, otherwise the blacksmith wouldn’t collaborate so easily. Meanwhile, the rain became thinner, the puddles in the yard didn’t look boiling anymore; the storm moved to Ponyville, then further to the South to water Everfree. Amazingly the clouds still had water for that.

“You can’t deny that any significant contact with magic leaves quite a noticeable imprint,” Alex wiggled his wings, nesting more comfortably on his hard seat. “Sometimes I wonder, if ‘t be true she would accept that offer from somepony else without any problems,” he squeezed a grin, which came out wry and painful. “But one thing I’m sure about, I would nev’r consciously harm a pony!..” Alex stopped short, the memory of the dam came too vividly.

“Yeah…” the shadow ran across human’s face, his glance glazed for a second. Alex squinted like from a splinter entering under his skin.

“Anyway,” he preferred to change the topic. “I can’t blame the princess… nor the guards, you don’t have any considerable conflicts lately…”

“And the guards started feeling quite relaxed lately,” smirked old Will. “I know what you are talking about.”

“Well, I won’t deny that,” chuckled Alex, without any sarcasm though. “I was able to witness, how peaceful life affected the military.”

‘Not that I complain about it!’ added he inwardly, keeping in mind his endeavours during the examination in the castle.

“So, the only major disturbance currently is me… and those Seekers,” he said. “But Celestia is still unsure, if I was brought because of them appearing, or they are the result of my mere existence in Equestria.”

“We didn’t have any global wars for ages, right,” nodded Willsmash, but Alex saw it was blacksmith’s turn to regret the course of their talk. “And the conflicts with the changelings are not nearly as massive as… in my youth. But they keep tormenting the southern borders, the whole region near their Badlands is hardly safer than two hundred years ago!” The old unicorn sighed. “The duty there is hard and dangerous still and your armour could make the difference.”

They sat in silence for a while; the rain vanished as suddenly as it came, travelling to the south with the wind and leaving the air filled with freshness and nicely washed grass smell. The clouds parted, revealing the wonderful sunset. Alex shivered a little, remembering about his clothing problem again. The realization came like a flash.

“Sil?!” he glanced at Will fixedly.

“Yes, son,” the old unicorn nodded shortly after a moment. “I took Silver after her parents went missing, almost twenty years ago, but it hurts like it was yesterday. They were never found… Chances to find somepony, kidnapped during the raid, are thin and aleatory.” Willsmash gloomed. “The last couple of years even more. Their queen was extremely vengeful, since that time she was defeated by Twilight. Anyway, it was always better to prevent a raid from breaking in, you know…”

Alex silently nodded, thinking how old could the blacksmith be, if he could easily relate to the events of two hundred age. He was to take part in those “massive” changeling incidents definitely.

“I wasn’t in the brightest condition at that moment,” continued Will, like if answering Alex’s unasked and even supposed questions. “But anything is better than the borderlands… Compared to that we’re doing fine. More than fine since certain days,” he nodded towards Alex thankfully.

The bang of the door echoed in the damp air, interrupting their talk, and in a few moments fast, but accurate hoofsteps crossed the yard.

“Here you are!” Silver Ingot peeked into the shed doors, she smiled cheerfully. “I was afraid that you might get flushed away with that waterfall.”

“Hey, what’s wrong? Uncle Will? Alex?” she alternated from the crate of bearings to their moody faces, puzzled by their expression. “I thought the day was productive. What happened?” she put the jar with water on the floor.

“We are simply weighing our chances to screw it with the new armour afore the princess’ eyes,” Alex found the suitable answer, squeezing a smile. Sil stared at him confusedly, when he exchanged glances with her uncle. “We have everything ready: technology, materials, the prototype, enthusiasm… A whole sea of the latter. But it all comes down to Her Highness decisive word, Sil.”

“Oh…” she kept looking at them slightly suspiciously, then exhaled. “Well, you can hardly continue today, it’s getting darker and the whole yard is one big puddle still…”

“I definitely must build a generator here as well,” nodded Alex, embarrassed by that simple thought not coming into his head earlier. “As soon as I have the first free day. We have spare parts, but the time…”

“…I thought that you might stay for dinner,” Sil finished, flushing and throwing a quick glance at Alex.

“What? Oh… Thank you, Sil!” Alex cleared his throat, feeling it a bit dry. “Next time definitely,” he got up to his feet. “Apologies! I planned an early sleep today, you see, having another… survival training early in the morning,” his wings wiggled faintly. “Uncle Will, Sil, thank you again. I shall come closer to noon on morrow. Have a good night!”

Alex bowed slightly under the door frame, exiting and crossing the yard, he waved to them with a slightly guilty smile. Silver Ingot followed his figure, receding through the field in the burning out twilight; she downcasted with a barely audible sigh.

“Better don’t, Silver,” uncle Will stopped next to her, his understanding voice was unusually soft. “He is a nice guy… and you’re an awesome young mare, but… to neigh the least of it… he is completely taken. Little miss Fluttershy is, of course, soft and kind, but she has a core of steel, my filly, believe me.” He pondered for a moment. “And I can bet on my remaining eye, princess Luna steps close on her tail here.”

Silver Ingot glanced up to him sadly, producing another sigh; Willsmash hugged his niece shoulders with one fore leg, directing her softly towards the house. ‘Unfortunately, as he is free of those stupid prejudices,’ thought the blacksmith.

Alex walked through the field in the falling darkness, thinking about and displeased by his abrupt departure; however, he was to think fast an could hardly have time to make it more diplomatic, almost caught off guard – Alex noticed the sparkles in Sil’s eyes. ‘Merlin’s pants! The girl deserveth some better… well, less problematic company than me. With mine overly enthusiastic marefriends.’ Alex shook his head. The last thing he needed and wanted was to tease yet another filly, knowing that he wasn’t going to trade Fluttershy and Luna for anypony.

Thankfully the square was empty, when he crossed the back yard and pierced the bushes, taking a cautious look around; it was dimly lit by the windows across, but nopony in the view. In the shade of Golden Oak Alex slid to his window, smiling. At first, he was shocked to find it closed, but a little push told him that it wasn’t locked for his luck: Twilight or Spike simply closed it to prevent the rain flood.

Anticipating the long-desired rest Alex took off the dirty boots and almost flowed over the window sill, leaving the frame half open to let the night freshness in. The smell of wood and books gave the homely feel and Alex suppressed the wish to flop flat and doze off. Not lighting any candle he trudged to the bathroom, barely finding some strength to wash his shoes and undress. The work rush of the day made itself felt: his eyes closed and arms seemed to weigh a ton each, yet taking a shower in the clothes wasn’t smart.

Finally, wondering how he didn’t fall asleep under the warm water, Alex got to his bed, almost crawling. The wings definitely behaved more adequate lately, as when he nested comfortably, pulling the blanket, the upper one covered him with the head, providing soft darkness and silence.

‘Somehow I need to talk it through with Sil,’ thought Alex, closing the eyes. ‘Before…’ He fell through the well of sleep amidst that idea.


‘Merlin’s pants! I climbed for the eternity…’ his lungs burned mercilessly, but Alex tried his best to keep the pace, only a couple flights of stairs remained to the top. ‘I hope it didn’t hurt them!’

Alex heard a loud skirring from the rooms above, as if somepony forcedly dragged something metal on the stone floor; the nasty sound made the feathers unconsciously ruffle, he shuddered, listening for a second. The rumble continued, something heavy fell with an earsplitting crash, spilling the rolling parts around; Alex fancied the frantically galloping hoofsteps fading away. Waking from the momentary stupor Alex rushed up, jumping over three, even four steps at once: something large was making quite a mess on the upper floor of the dam and he didn’t want to think, what it could have done to the technician and his daughter.

Pulling the door at the top of the stairwell Alex mentally noted the round dent near the handle from inside; he was to bend down and squeeze through the narrow doorway. The room behind was some sort of engineering hall with workbenches, instrumental lockers, tables with some blueprints on them, chairs. It looked like a flock of mad rams was running through or one very anxious elephant: almost everything moved from its place, one locker lied on its side revealing the contents, partially thrown around. The large swaying exit doors still trembled, the long table was forcedly moved off the way, making the rolled up blueprints fall, covering the floor.

Somepony flounced about the hall, blindly searching for the exit, bumping into the furniture and turning things over, tried getting to the stairs, but failed to squeeze through the door or… was startled, fleeing back to the dam instead.

‘Aha! You finally felt!’ grinned Alex wryly, taking another look over the room just in case; everything was quiet, only the draught from the opened door rustled the scattered papers. ‘Won’t get away now, bast…’

The high-pitch distant girly scream made Alex flinch, kicking the pencil stand, which rolled into the corner, he pushed the table away with another unpleasant screech and rushed to the double doors. The long hallway seemed even darker, running across the whole dam and vanishing in shadows and mist, which trailed hither in those early hours. It was empty as far as Alex’s eyes could catch.

In two leaps Alex got to the nearest arched opening, running onto the narrow catwalks with railings and unfinished crane. Surprisingly, he had only a glimpse of the light dizziness that time, throwing a quick look at the raging elements below. The Sun was only rising behind the valley below, leaving the whole dam in deep shadow, except the very top edge, glowing at the moment brightly in the first morning rays. The mist filled the air, cooling it down, making the metal catwalks slippery; Alex inhaled the full chest of dampness, he turned left, then right, the Seeker was nowhere visible; however, both ponies were there. Straining his fore legs with all the remaining force Staunch Flume, holding on the protruding beam of the frame, and his daughter, the filly cringed in a scared fluff ball behind father’s back, holding desperately on the stallion.

“Hold on there!” Alex dashed to the crane frame, he was to fold almost in half to squeeze under the lower part of the metalwork. He dropped to the platform, trying to reach the pony’s fore legs, keeping the balance at the same time. Staunch Flume was unable to even nod, reserving everything for his slowly ceasing grip; the filly cried silently, for a second Alex caught the hopeful pleading gaze.

The hooves slipped off the beam! Staunch Flume waved his legs, as if trying to catch again the relentlessly receding support.

With the plaintive scream of the filly both ponies began falling into the mist.

Alex didn’t lose a second for pondering; he rolled over the platform edge, folding the wings like a large arrow. The time seemed to freeze.

‘150 foot! I have a couple of seconds…’ flashed in his head, then the water clouds swallowed everything. Despite Alex was heavier than both ponies combined, he couldn’t see them in that grey mist. He hoped if not to lift, then at least reach the basin below slower and safer. ‘Damn it!!!’

The cliffs arose like out of nowhere; Alex was sure, he had more time, the wings unfurled with a deafening flap, desperately trying to avoid the imminent hit and take him away. Alex threw up his hands to shield and…

Woke up, convulsively startling and sitting on his sofa: the blanket lied crumpled and twisted on the floor, he must have dropped it, rolling in his nightmare; a single large black feather swirled in the air, landing slowly in the dim light.

Alex shivered, feeling sudden weakness and nausea, cold sweat covered his forehead. He wanted to wipe the face brushing off emerging tears, but felt the touch of something hard and unyielding. Alex swallowed a lump, bringing both hands to his face, squinting to see in the morning twilight.

Hands?

Alex’s eyes stopped on two large pony fore legs with hooves. That is why the touch he felt was quite hard and unusual. His breath stuck in the throat, forgetting about the weakness Alex bucked for a couple of seconds trying to get up completely, then dashed to the bathroom as fast as his spreading legs could carry him.

Four legs!

Automatically Alex noted, some part of his mind continued analyzing the situation, despite the rest of his consciousness yelled madly in panic, that even on all four he observed everything around from the considerable height. Probably from even higher than usual. Slipping on the wooden floor and bumping into the furniture – the rooms suddenly became smaller and all cluttered up – Alex stormed into the bathroom, he managed to dive under the platband, but painfully hit the doorframe with his shoulder.

It was darker there, Alex was to approach the mirror closely to see: he shoved himself to the dimly gleaming rectangle above the sink, bowing his head, as it appeared too low for him.

“Aw!!!” he flicked his forehead on the mirror, or… rather something on his forehead; remembering that he had hooves he reconsidered rubbing the face. Shaking his head instead to regain the eyesight, Alex focused on the reflection of… large pony muzzle: the beige coat glowed in the darkness of the room, already large, dilated from fear eyes almost popped from their orbits and the long, spirally twisted horn!

‘The fucking horn!!!’

Alex let out an earsplitting scream…

The light flashed brightly, flooding his view, the room, overshadowing the young morning behind the window. The blanket was on the floor, tumbled, the large feather slowly sank on the floor. With a single panicking convulsive movement Alex sat on his sofa, covering his eyes from the light with… his hand.

“W-what… is going on?” muttered Twilight, wrapping herself tighter in the morning gown; she looked, as if she saw a nightmare herself, obviously woken up and startled by Alex’s scream. “You s-shouted louder than ever before…”

“Sssorry… Twilight,” creaked Alex, he brought his hands closer to the eyes, examining them carefully, bending then stretching the fingers. Twilight watched, how he felt his face very meticulously, then his forehead for some reason.

“I… I had a nightmare,” Alex finally exhaled.

“That I understood already,” seeing that he wasn’t going to flounce or shout again, Twilight accurately approached, dimming the light a bit; however, she noticed the endless relief in Alex’s voice. “You screamed, as if you were slaughtered alive this time!” She looked into his eyes.

Alex examined his hands and took a look over himself again instead of an answer.

“It was the usual “dam” thing…” finally squeezed he out. “But then… I…” Alex chocked on words, breathing in and out several times to calm down. “I had a nightmare that I was turned into an alicorn!”

“Ehm!” it sounded like a nervous chuckle, Twilight blinked wordlessly for a couple of minutes.

“Comest on, Twi! I would like to keep as much human as left in me still… Seeing the chances of it shrink each day…Ohhhh…” the human shook his head with a sigh.

“What’s so horrible in being an alicorn, pray tell?” finally asked she, visibly relaxing as well.

“Nothing at all!” Alex looked at her very fixedly. “If ‘t be true thou art a pony already…”

“No offence, Twi,” the warm smile made the alicorn girl return it easily. “I was completely fine with mine four extremities, only two of which being legs… I’m even fine now with all the six, extending mine hope I can control the new two as well as the old ones. But, considering the only male alicorn I theoretically knew, was princesses’ father… and I wouldn’t pin mine faith on mine luck here…” Twilight caught the idea, snorting despite his deadly serious look and quickly covering her mouth with the hoof; she gave Alex an apologetic glance. “…so, I definitely could live without turning into a pony, let alone a princess! Even technically…”

*

“Where are they, Pinkie? Should be back a few minutes ago, I thought,” Fluttershy sat at the short wooden pier, bathing her hind hooves in the water, but her concerned glance was set on the sky with large fluffy white, as in summer, clouds. “Alex isn’t that much of a flyer yet to…”

“Relax, Flutters-Butters!” Pinkie Pie lied flat on the planks, chewing a straw, her head on her fore hooves. “He is with Twilight, she didn’t choose the lake for these lessons for nothing. They fly only above the water and don’t rise too high, I’m sure. So, even if he falls…” Pinkie shrugged. “Besides, we are here to assist, if something goes wrong,” she waved her hind legs, equipped with flippers; the diving mask nested on her forehead and another pair of flippers lay next to the girl.

The large lake, laying at their hooves, shimmered with thousands of tiny bright sun flares on the slight ripples; the wind barely reminded of itself, seen by the lazily waggling reed and long green braids of the large willows, crying along the banks. It smelled of water, grass and slightly silt, but not the heavy still smell of a swamp it was, the peculiar healthy breath of a crystal clear lake rather. The shadows and reflections of the high clouds raced on the water surface, rarely disturbed by some fish splashing. The large green and blue dragonflies scurried back an forth, almost touching the water and large plates of lilies leaves. They hovered in the air, flapping their transparent wings with the quiet rattle, appearing closer to the girls and even landing for a short moment on the tips of their ears, making Fluttershy and Pinkie funnily twitch them. Only the distant drum roll of some woodpecker tinted the warm sleepy silence and once a large raven crossed the sky high above, resounding the neighbourhood with its pensive croaking. When it faded away, the same tranquillity reigned again; it was too early for the omnipresent cicadas and frogs and the world around them froze tingling, like cut from the finest rock-stone and carefully hoof-painted.

“It’s so quiet!” Pinkie let out a smile, inhaling deeply. “I’m not a fan of it usually, you know… But that’s different!” She stared dreamily above the water.

“Shhhh… Did you hear?” Fluttershy perked one ear, looking up again.

With a plangent damnation something large and heavy plopped into the water, producing a loud splash, making the fry sprinkle away and a single duck leave the nearest canes with panic quacking.

“Girls, have you seen Alex?” Twilight appeared in a second, fluttering above the pier she breathed heavily. “We soared nicely, but then… He must have looked down or something, as he suddenly lost control and fell down spinning…”

Instead of an answer Pinkie pointed with her hoof at the source of the noise; the human swam towards them slowly, large wet wings were spread and flapped on the lake surface, as if trying to row.

“He looks managing fine to me…” thoughtfully noticed the pink lifeguard, she followed Alex’s trajectory, tilting her head slightly. “But, of course, I’m ready to help, if he needs,” Pinkie got up and fastened another pair of flippers on her fore hooves. Twilight landed on the planks next to girls, watching Alex with slight concern.

“Hey, I don’t want to sound offensive or bossy,” she addressed Alex, when he approached. “But I think, if you fold your wings tight, you could swim easier and faster.”

Alex muttered something through his gritted teeth; his wings slapped harder, raising a cloud of splatter.

“What, sorry?” Twilight scratched the back of her head, while Fluttershy and Pinkie giggled, Alex only huffed instead of an answer.

“I said, one needs to control them fully at first,” he forcefully pushed himself up, catching the planks, finally climbed out of the water and sat on the edge of the pier, taking his breath. “And I’m far from that…”

“Well, at least you can hold yourself from uncontrolled soaring now, right?”

“Perhaps, but I wouldn’t risk leaving them unrestrained the whole day yet,” he spread the wings with a loud flap, spraying squeaking girls with water, and put them under the sunlight; the girls noticed, how shaky Alex was, and hardly because of the water, which, Fluttershy knew it for sure, was quite warm.

“Are you okay?” she touched his shoulder lightly.

“For one, who wasn’t supposed to fly on his own?” Alex looked at her with a tiny smile. “Yeah, I guess, I’m doing fine. Considering everything, there is no wonder that my skill is yet far from ideal.”

“Well, guys,” Pinkie stretched like a big cat. “I’m going to take a swim while you are drying and talking here.” She pulled the mask down and, before anypony could say a word, swan dived into the lake, disappearing underwater and emerging a few yards further after several seconds. She waved her fore hoof cheerfully, leaving Alex a striking thought that with her wet mane flowing down she looked like some femme fatale nightclub singer.

“I didn’t look much better upon my first flights, Alex. If my memory serves me well, I even landed once on my muzzle…” Twilight’s cheeks rosed a bit. “But I learned everything eventually. I have no doubt you can do the same.”

Fluttershy nodded, she quickly examined Alex, checking his forehead, pulse; when she looked into his eyes, checking the pupils, Alex caught her muzzle softly and placed a kiss on the nose, making her squeak surprisedly. He raised his wings vertically, parallel to each other, leaving some space for girls to sit next to him.

“You see, they are much more obedient lately,” Twilight glanced at Alex victoriously. “And you do much better in general, than let’s say yesterday.”

There was so much satisfaction in her voice, that Alex suppressed the ruffian impulse to push both girls into the water and simply nodded.

“Frankly speaking, I was practising… while sleepwalking,” Alex stumbled confusedly. “Each night. Although… methinks it’s nothing but cheating… as I can simply fold them and fly without, if they start behaving unruly, while sleepwalking.”

“I still hope it helps a bit,” he shrugged, the feathers ruffled, wings becoming fluffy for a second. Watching dragonflies scurrying above the lake surface and hovering over reeds and water lilies leaves, Alex wrapped one arm around Fluttershy’s shoulders. One especially brave dragonfly landed on girls nose for a second, making Fluttershy huff it off and giggle, snuggling to Alex happily. They could spend the rest of the day that way: Alex thought, that despite all the circumstances, he must be a very lucky guy and Fluttershy inwardly thanked the Tree of Harmony for not sending Alex to Earth. This time she didn’t even feel any regret for her thoughts in the soft embrace of her man.

“Ahem…” started Twilight embarrassedly, seeing that a few minutes more and Fluttershy would fall asleep on Alex’s chest, being kissed behind the ear and becoming a little cross-eyed from the pleasure. “It seems, you have dried up a bit… Maybe we can make another attempt?” she nudged Alex lightly.

“Mmm… Oh… Well, if you say so.”

“Come on, Alex, it’s you, who needs to get your wings properly working,” Twilight smirked, perfectly understanding Alex’s wish to linger.

“Hey, mates!” Pinkie’s head silently emerged closer to the pier, making everypony flinch. “I’ll keep swimming, if you don’t mind… Anyway, chances are high that Alex… lands on the water again.” She winked.

“Mine endless gratitude for thy trust!” Alex made a face with an exaggeratedly polite bow. “I’m sorry, Shy. I’ll return shortly, something tells me this time won’t be any different.”

Fluttershy thought that the following kiss, making both Twilight and Pinkie flush and look away, could easily compensate her the waiting. Twilight and Alex soared, leaving her sitting on the pier; Fluttershy fluffed with a dreamy smile like a canary-bird. Enjoying the warm sunlight on her back and wings she listened to the light breeze, whispering in the reed stems and leaves; a single oriole screeched in the shade of the willows on the opposite bank, like a cat stepped on its tail.

Naturally, after a few minutes of nearly complete harmony, Alex appeared in her field of view, going down by a complex trajectory. Although, this time he visibly tried to control his fall at least partially and reached certain success, almost landing, not crashing into water, with his legs down this time. Pinkie managed to dive a second before he plopped right where she was.

“So, how’s the weather up there?” smirked she, emerging a couple of yards aside.

“Perfect! But some rain clouds are coming from the west,” seriously reported Alex, huffing away the water. “I can rise with you next time, so you check for yourself!” he stuck out his tongue.

“Thanks, but better some other day,” Pinkie turned over and swam on her back with an imperturbable expression, making Alex laugh and snort in some water. Huffing, he headed to the pier under the concerned glance of Fluttershy.

“Well everything takes some time,” Twilight landed next to Fluttershy and they both helped Alex climb out of the water. “Alas, I’m not a pro flyer, Alex, so… we do, what we can.”

“Twilight probably told you already,” Fluttershy hugged him from behind, warming quickly. “Dashie taught her to fly, when it was necessary, but… as soon as Rainbow is… well, out of reach…” she fell silent confusedly.

“It’s okay as it is, Shy,” Alex leaned his cheek to her. “Thanks, Twilight, I appreciate your time and effort, maybe I’m not entirely hopeless. Besides, I’m quite fine without Rainbow Dash witnessing my miserable attempts.”

“He-he, how are the divers doing?!” the familiar mocking voice made them jump on the spot; Alex glared up to see the mentioned cyan pegasus with her ever-ruffled short rainbow mane, hovering above them. That was exactly the visitor, he could easily do without; Alex tried to see himself from Rainbow’s point of view: stripped to the boxers, wet, ruffled, he just took a strand of seaweed off his wing – that made him instantly cringe.

“I always thought that the one born to crawl, couldn’t fly!” meanwhile Rainbow had much fun. “Well… at least you don’t need an umbrella anymore,” she winked, unambiguously hinting of her habit of watering Alex occasionally.

“Dashie, stop please!” Twilight frowned. “Don’t be a meanie, remember myself, when I only started to learn…”

“That’s another thing,” the cyan “mocking bird” dismissed all the concerns. “I had time to notice, he… bathes way more than… well, flies,” she giggled again. “No offence, mate!” she made a face, obviously supposing that Alex would take offence.

Beginning to boil slowly Alex nuzzled Fluttershy’s cheek and gently pushed the girl, getting up; with a deep breath he unfurled the wings, raising a cloud of mist and shaking them a few times to dry quicker. Rainbow’s eyes widened, the size of the human’s new extremities was completely unexpected for her; however, she kept teasing Alex.

Gritting his teeth Alex dashed up in a single jump, almost sweeping both girls from the pier, Rainbow blew a raspberry and rushed up to the clouds, giggling; her mocking laughter spread in the sky, the wind whistled in Alex’s ears. Not looking down, with a series of strong flaps he gained considerable speed and pierced the nearest low cloud a few seconds after the cyan pegasus.

The milky mist filled his view, disorienting Alex at once. The cloud floated slowly, thus everything around him changed constantly, making it twice harder to keep direction. Alex dashed left, then reconsidered and turned right: the same white dampness everywhere. Maybe the clouds looked fluffy from the ground, maybe they felt fluffy to walk on, he never tried, but for a person getting inside of one, Alex felt not very comfortable. Only once he heard quiet giggling, but he couldn’t tell for sure, where from… moreover, if it wasn’t entirely his imagination.

Alex hovered on one spot, held by the slow strong flaps of his wings. His vestibular apparatus let him feel for sure, where was the “floor” and where the “ceiling”, but the rest was questionable. He didn’t have time to think that the wings started behaving tolerably in general, when his left one suddenly lost the air flow. Alex felt like driving a car, one wheel of which got into a large pit; he winced convulsively, losing control and giving a lurch.

‘Damn! 2:1 in her favour…’

In a second Alex was falling, spinning uncontrollably; he anathematized the clouds and all the mockers inwardly, squinting, because the strong air flow almost squeezed out tears from the eyes. Suddenly he fell out of the cloud, gaining a clear view at once. Despite his wide tailspin, Alex did his best to spread the wings and regain control, gritting the teeth and fighting upcoming air pressure. He managed to slow down the fall and make it a decent glide barely above the water, entering the lake by the sloping trajectory, almost controlling his landing. The splash came out quite loud still, followed, Alex could swear to that, by a loud girly scream from the shore.

Alex took a look around, it appeared, he crashed into the further end of the lake, which resembled a bean by its shape. An elegant head appeared in the shrubs on the bank; the unicorn girl looked around cautiously.

“Hey, is it you, who made that mammoth splash?” her wine-coloured eyes stopped at Alex’s head inquiringly. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah. I think so, yes,” huffing away water from his face Alex swam closer to the shore, noticing her unusual light blue and steel mane, some strands were visibly glowing despite the daylight.

“Mmmm… Who are you? I don’t think I ever saw somepony like that?” now the girl looked rather curious than concerned, making Alex smile; she swayed her mane decorated with a single lily flower above her left ear.

“I hope I didn’t startle you too much, when I crashed into the lake…” Alex’s feet felt the bottom, so he could stand, slowly coming out of the water. When he emerged a bit more, brushing away the water plants with his hands, the girl’s eyes dilated.

“Wait… I know who you are… you must be a…”

“Human,” nodded Alex, getting out of the water and squeezing it out of his hair. “At least I hope I still mostly am…”

“I heard about humans, Lyra slides onto that topic half of the times,” the unicorn exited the shrubs and Alex could see the white gracile body with grey spots on the back and slender legs, the tail of the same colours as the mane, the small pendant with some deep cherry stone. Her bright eyes with curiously raised brows examined him with interest rather than concern. “But I never saw one in reality. And… I thought humans couldn’t fly!”

“I thought the same hitherto,” chuckled Alex, unfurling his wings and putting them under the sunlight. “Actually, I was learning to fly… if what I did can be called that ambitiously.”

The girl blinked several times, staring at them.

“Excuse mine impoliteness,” he slapped his forehead. “I’m Alex.”

“White Lily-Rose,” modestly said the girl. “Or simply Lily-Rose… They are quite large… Well, they must be to hold you, as you aren’t small either,” she giggled.

“And what are you doing here, Lily-Rose? If I may ask…” Alex thought it was strange to see a filly all alone that early at the overgrown bank of the lake.

“Oh, I’m sketching,” Lily-Rose let out a warm smile, the best sign of doing what she loved. “I’m an artist… I mean, I’m learning,” she rosed a bit. “And… I think I need to work on my backgrounds more…”

“So, today is the day of landscapes, yeah,” added she.

“Can I have a look?”

“Well… Yes, if you’re interested…” Lily-Rose looked confused and pleased at the same time.

When Alex got through the bushes, following the unicorn girl, an amazing view opened to his eyes. From this side, the thick foliage around the lake opened as a narrow natural valley towards the field with rare trees and laying closely behind western part of Ponyville. Reflected with the proper amount of mastery on the paper or canvas, this view formed a very promising scene. The endless, spreading to the distant railroad, field, juicy trees, which green colour was only tinted by the accidental yellow and red, the town bathing in verdure with windows glancing here and there, colourful roofs protruding among the tree crowns, everything lit with the Sun piercing through the rare slowly floating in the blue skies clouds. At the same time, the whole scene was awesomely placed on the large sheet of paper, clipped to the easel; it was still in lines, but with an amazing level of detail, as Alex could notice.

“I’m not a specialist, was never able to rise above the blueprints level myself. You see, believable volume and living creatures aren’t my things, so… But methinks you did an awesome job,” Alex’s eyes alternated between the image and the real view. “If you can do at least half close out of your memory, then…”

Instead of an answer, Lily-Rose levitated an album and a charcoal stylus from the stack of her instruments nearby.

“Hold still, please!” the charcoal already danced on the paper. Alex didn’t have time for surprise, when the girl handed him a very close to the life three-quarters sketch of him, few quick curves even denoted the drying wings.

“I decided to work with graphics this time, not spending much time with paints,” shrugged Lily-Rose. “Very much hope I didn’t spoil it. They say I get the characters well, “almost like a photograph”… Not sure if I should feel proud because of that comparison,” she sighed. “But I wanted to pull the backgrounds to the same level at least.”

Alex thoughts divided between wondering, why he never saw any photos yet, and the memory about the one from that show titles. Ponies definitely had photography. Somehow that seemingly insignificant detail made him wonder how deep was the influence of the noosphere on that show author. ‘Lara?.. Laura… Lauren… What was her name?’

“Hey, Alex! Alex!!!” A loud call from the bank pulled Alex out of his memories. “Are you here?” Pinkie finally entered the glade, funnily raising her legs high because of the flippers.

“Oh, hi, Lily-Rose!”

Alex wasn’t even surprised, Pinkie knew everypony in Ponyville, regardless if one lived there for the whole life or stopped in the town in transit. The unicorn artist greeted Pinkie, stifling the smile from the extravagant view of the latter.

“Come on, Alex!” Pinkie shook off the water like a dog, making her wet mane and tail magically return to their usual cotton-candy look at once, maybe even puffier. “Twilight and Fluttershy rushed off their wings looking for you everywhere; they started to worry,” she glanced at Alex. “Sorry, Lily! Somepony simply needs to decide, if he is learning to fly or chasing the mockers mindlessly.”

“Oh, I see,” Lily-Rose chuckled quietly. “I’ve noticed Rainbow Dash a few minutes ago…”

Alex sighed, admitting that Pinkie was right everywhere: if not the lake below, his impulsive rush could end unluckily.

“It was a pleasure, Lily-Rose. Alas, I can’t take the portrait right now, it gets wet and spoiled, apologies.”

“It’s okay, I’ll be in Ponyville for a few days more, before returning to art school in Canterlot,” Lily-Rose nodded with a smile. “I stopped at my cousin’s place… Pinkie knows where it is. You know, Alex… you speak funnily sometimes,” added she musingly.

“Relay your cousin my best regards, Lily. I hope he is doing well!” Pinkie lightly nudged Alex forward, then followed him, slapping on the grass with her flippers.

“Maybe it’s your special talent – to find pretty fillies wherever you drop,” noticed she dryly, when they reached the bank, leaving Lily-Rose with her artworks. A quick look over the shoulder told Alex by the sparks in her eyes that she was rather joking. “I wonder how you manage to…”

The frantic flapping of two pairs of wings interrupted her; Alex and Pinkie raised their eyes to see Twilight and Fluttershy quickly landing next to them. Without a word Fluttershy grabbed Alex in a tight hug, nuzzling him worriedly.

“Here you are!” with light reproof in her voice Twilight poked him. “Please, Alex, don’t do that again! At least give us time to catch up with you.”

“Besides, it is about time to learn better than reacting to the deliberate mockery,” added she much softer. “Well, at least we found out you got speed, that’s without neighing…”

“If only I got the same amount of balance and concentration…” huffed Alex. “But I made a new acquaintance instead, the filly is really talented.”

“We met Lily-Rose,” confirmed Pinkie casually. “She happens to be sketching on this shore today.”

“Lily-Rose… Lily-Rose…” muttered Twilight, she blinked, trying to remember.

“Oh, come on,” Pinkie shook her cotton candy mane. “I told you a couple of days ago. Seriously, Twilight, you can be so absent-minded with something other than your books.”

“I saw some of her works,” nodded Fluttershy. “She is quite keen on portraits and masters them well.”

“Yeah, and now she is fulfilling the… gaps in her mastery,” chuckled Alex. “Working on landscapes.”

“That girl from Canterlot Art School,” Twilight’s eyes lit with recognition. “It seems it was ages ago…”

“Well… Maybe we get back to the starting place and try once again?” asked Fluttershy. “While the weather allows…” Without saying a word she and Alex looked at Pinkie with her flippers. There was no chance she could catch up with them, despite swimming very well.

“You go on,” catching their glance Pinkie simply shrugged. “I’ll join you as soon as I can reach the pier.”

“I can carry you,” Alex suggested the easiest solution. He had enough rest since his last try and could easily pace up with both other girls that way.

“Are you sure?” it seemed three girls stared at him at once.

“What? I’m supposed to be learning, training… Whatever…” Alex raised one brow. “Besides, you told me I should believe in myself, Twilight.”

“Don’t worry, I’ll fly low,” he turned to Pinkie. “And keep above the lake, just in case.”

“Okay,” Pinkie smirked slyly. “But if you start falling, ensure you drop me first. It’s better to fall alone even in the water.”

“We’ll be shortly behind!” Alex waved encouragingly to the girls, who still looked unsure, if the idea was entirely safe.

“So…” when Fluttershy and Twilight soared, slowly heading to the other bank, Alex scratched the back of his head. It appeared slightly harder on practice than on words due to the most simple reason – surprisingly, Pinkie was afraid of tickling. Alex felt that carrying the wriggling and giggling earth pony, half of his size, could be a non-trivial task, when he lifted her.

“It really will be easier, if you stop kicking,” he said sarcastically to the mare, who shook from each touch to her sides; her coat and mane tickled him in return.

“I… ahhh… Can’t help myself! Ouch… Hmpf… Ha-ha!..” Pinkie snorted again, looking up at him. “Sorry… Ahhaaa…”

With a sigh, Alex picked her under the fore legs and around the chest, trying to hold tight, yet not move his hands. Praying inwardly everything to go as he planned, he took three wide steps on the shore, spreading his wings and jumping in the air right above the water edge.

They didn’t crash or fall into the lake and with some effort Alex managed to level up into the air; Pinkie Pie quietly hung in his arms, realizing the difficulty and trying not to move without a reason. Alex gained some speed and glided low above the water, almost touching the surface with the tips of the wings; he focused on catching up with the girls, who covered some distance already.

“You know, that can be kinda enjoyable,” stated Pinkie, watching the reflection in the calm water flying past her flippers and the distant overgrown lake bank passing by on their left. “If not that tickle… Hmpffff…” she started snorting again, when Alex picked her for the better grip.

“You’re also ticklish,” retorted Alex, who tried to look forward only, keeping his head up so Pinkie’s mane didn’t get into his face and nose. “Don’t move please…” He raised a bit, noticing they lost some height just in time.

“Woohoo!!!” Pinkie couldn’t hold herself, calling out loud, when they overtook the surprised girls shortly; Twilight and Fluttershy were to speed up and Alex tried his best not to laugh, risking to fall. However, she asked him to drop her, when another shore appeared in sight, approaching fast, so the wooden pier became visible soon.

Without arguing Alex got down, as low as he could, and dropped the speed, almost hovering on the spot for a short moment to release her softly. Pinkie entered the water without a noticeable splash and Alex flapped his wings faster, feeling that he might go after her in a moment. Both pegasus and alicorn girls already stood on the bank, watching their manoeuvers at the moment.

Alex was to admit Pinkie’s rightness, when he landed on the planks on all four, quite harshly to be honest; Pinkie preferred the water landing to that. Still, that time was incomparably better than all of his previous attempts. With a smile Alex turned over and lied on the pier, spreading his wings and taking a breath in the warm sunlight.

“That was way better than anything we saw before!” Alex heard the approaching hoofsteps on the wood and looked up to meet Twilight and Fluttershy’s smiling eyes. “It was a landing, not a fall finally. I told you, practice makes perfect,” Twilight wiggled her nose funnily.

“Are you okay?” Pinkie climbed out of the water and appeared in his sight, she was soaking wet and a few drops fell on Alex. Not waiting for an answer she shook off the water like a dog, spraying Alex all over before her wet mane miraculously returned to the puffy look again.

“Pinkie!!!” Alex sat straight at once, huffing and wiping the water off his face.

“What? I thought some cooling wouldn’t hurt you…” she unclipped her flippers and shoved them into the saddle bag casually. Fluttershy and Twilight laughed, they could shield themselves with the wings just in time.

“Errmmm…” Alex couldn’t find the proper words to react to this funny, yet outrageous trick. Suddenly the barely audible distant scream from behind made him strain and listen. Alex squinted wary, hearing another holler. Then the familiar feeling of uneasiness came.

“That’s… That’s from the school!” Alex turned over and jumped to his feet. “Come on, fast!”

With a few powerful wing flaps, not even thinking about that or explaining anything, he raised in the air and darted away from the bank, where Ponyville school lied, hidden behind the trees across the field. The girls unfroze a second later: Twilight and Fluttershy rushed after Alex, Pinkie threw the saddle bag on her back and followed the rest in giant hops. The wide belt remained forgotten on the pier.

They could catch up to him amidst the field, where Alex reached in a couple of minutes, zipping so fast that the high grass bent under the wind he made. Pinkie fell back drastically, despite all of her efforts; she hopped silently with unusual concentration, influenced by the seriousness of the moment. In a few more moments Alex crossed the field, he already saw the school building through the thin line of trees; however, the mental image of the whole herd watching his flight made him land and cover the last part on foot. His running speed was noticeably slower and Fluttershy and Twilight finally paced up with him.

Together they crossed the narrow grove and exited to the wide open space, where the old school was surrounded by a few rare trees in the fenced yard. The entire herd was outside seemingly: the students of all ages and staff, but the wide yard was completely empty – everypony gathered outside of the school territory instead. Ponies talked quietly, unlike the few initial shouts, which gained the friends’ attention, they hummed, like a disturbed bee-hive, throwing cautious glances at the old three storey building.

Accurately making her way through the herd Twilight led them to the front edge, looking for somepony and finally addressing the elderly stallion with a lush grey moustache.

“Good afternoon, Headmaster. What’s going on here? We heard some shouts… can we be of any help?”

“Oh, your highness…” the stallion swallowed the nervous lump and corrected. “Miss Sparkle! Everything was as usual, when right after the recess somepony suddenly felt groundless anxiety turning into fear… In a matter of seconds many others started feeling the same, and… Remembering the royal warning, we organized the classes and evacuated the school as fast as we could,” he threw a look around. “I was going to check everypony, before getting away to a safer distance, as the foals started panicking here already…”

Alex squeezed between the ponies, followed close by Fluttershy and folding his wings tight. He could only thank the situation as everypony’s eyes were chained to the school building and nopony paid him much attention. Yet. But the feeling, he had at the lake, became only stronger here and he was to interrupt the headmaster, asking the latter the most important in Alex’s view question.

“Did everypony leave the school?”

The aged stallion threw a quick glance at the human and started scanning the herd, counting inwardly; his lips moved, making the moustache tremble. It could look even funny, under different circumstances.

Suddenly he stumbled, his muzzle becoming pale grey and making Alex’s heart sink.

“Sweet Celestia! Miss Cheerilee’s class… They must be still there,” slowly squeezed the headmaster.

Said quietly, that phrase nevertheless was seemingly heard by every single pony in the herd; the thick strained silence fell over the school yard. Even the few trees froze, not moving any leaf, as if the wind stopped blowing suddenly. Alex closed his eyes for a second, inwardly swearing, while the stallion added.

“They were in the basement, at their alchemy class… So, they must have heard the alert and evacuation not.”

“The basement has advanced ventilation and everything necessary,” he explained, seeing Alex’s wild glance. “And the door can be locked from inside, so… they are relatively safe, but…”

‘Exactly, relatively!’ thought Alex, feeling Fluttershy’s fore hooves clinging to his elbow, he asked aloud. “Anypony else?”

“N-n-no…” the headmaster threw another look around, adding more confidently. “No, I’m sure, others are with us.”

“Fine!” feeling it being anything but actually fine Alex turned to the girls and finally arriving Pinkie, who made her way through the scared herd with a little effort.

“Hey! What’s going on here? Oh…” she just felt what others were enduring for quite a while already, Twilight answered her unasked question with her eyes only and a tiny nod.

“Look, girls,” Alex started in half voice, trying not to attract unnecessary attention, while it was possible. “Try to keep the herd calm and, what’s more important, try to push them further away from the building. Ideally you can try to make them head back to the town...” he estimated the noticeably growing herd, “But I see, expecting that would be too optimistic…”

A few more ponies joined the present, coming from the road, on which Alex could see more figures approaching; he didn’t want to imagine what could even the single Seeker do, if it managed to get outside. Alex was sure in his own feelings, one of those monsters was or at least was going to appear in the building.

Meanwhile, more ponies arrived, making him facepalm inwardly. Alex noticed the stetson hat crossing the herd, accompanied by the familiar sapphire mane. Applejack made the closest ponies part and squeezed inside, Rarity looked anxious, she scanned the herd frantically.

“Ah want to know, what’s going on here,” stated Applejack. “Ah was bucking apples in that edge of the orchard and heard shouts… and then Rarity ran by, like it was some fire to fight. So?” she looked at them inquiringly.

Pinkie whispered something into her perked ear and Alex saw the usually calm green eyes becoming round and widely open with each word.

“That’s why I wanted to keep them away…” he told Twilight from the corner of his mouth.

“Apple Bloom!!!” Applejack jumped on the spot. “She is in Cheerilee’s class… with the girls!” she tried to rush forward past Alex.

“Jackie, no! You won’t help them that way!” Fluttershy grabbed her friend, almost hanging on Applejack. Pinkie and Twilight rushed to help her; all three they barely held Applejack on the place. Rarity looked, as if she was going to faint, her lips trembled, tears trailed from the eyes; it took her quite an effort to stay adequate and help the girls.

Alex tried to say something, when a cyan jet flashed by, making everypony nearby unwittingly crouch. Rainbow Dash made a small loop then landed hard among them.

“Hey! What’s cookin’ mates?” wondered she in her usual ruffian manner, examining the herd around. She didn’t notice a few familiar muzzles and her branded “so what” expression turned worried instead. “What does that mean? And where are the girls?!”

Twilight only nodded towards the school building, Applejack stopped trying to escape their grasp and breathed heavily, holding Rarity straight.

“And there is one of those Seekers inside…” whispered Fluttershy.

“And why aren’t you doing anything yet?!” exploded Rainbow. She squinted determinedly and, letting nopony to say or do anything, she darted into the air. With the jet speed she reached the old building, breaking the window on the upper floor and disappearing inside.

Alex gritted his teeth. ‘Merlin’s pants, why she acts before thinking so often?!’

“Keepest them away please…” dropped he to Twilight, making a decision inwardly.

Unfurling the wings and causing a few shocked shouts, Alex soared, heading to the school on a low arch. Inwardly wondering what was the point of breaking into the second floor, while the class was supposed to be in the basement, Alex reached and tried to hold on the sill of the window, broken by Rainbow. The vast wings spread on the wooden wall, while he checked if he could climb through, not cutting on the glass shards. Finally, he pulled up, folding his wings and disappearing in the room after her.

“What was…” somepony woke from the first stupor.

“Okay! Now listen to me everypony!” Twilight raised her voice, using the moment of unusual silence to take over the attention of the herd. She hoped to sound at least believable, unlike her inner condition. “The situation is under control!” she cringed inwardly, but continued. “Everypony get back, under those trees. Girls help me,” she addressed her friends, who seemed to gain some self control already; even Rarity looked almost normal.

But before they managed to do anything else, the girls noticed another three figures approaching the scene from the southern road. Rarity squeaked and rushed towards the fillies, who stopped in bemusement and didn’t even protest, when she reached them and tried to grab all three at once in a hug, squeezing tightly and quickly telling them something.

Twilight and the rest hurried to join Rarity, eager to find out what happened and how it appeared that Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle (who was still almost hanging in Rarity’s hooves, submitting to her fate stoically) and Scootaloo were not at school that afternoon. Applejack stifled a tear, sniffing loudly, and squeezed Apple Bloom as well, not giving the latter a chance to drop a word. Fluttershy cuddled Scootaloo, comforting her in a wing hug; together with Twilight they tried to find out from her the details.

“We were with Zecora…” quietly said Scootaloo, blinking a few times, surprised by the girls’ collective reaction to their appearance. “Started learning alchemy with her instead of the standard school course. Well… Apple Bloom decided… and we thought it wouldn’t hurt. We told ya, remember?” she looked at Applejack inquiringly.

“Thank Celestia!” breathed out Rarity, she finally found strength to release Sweetie Belle. “Thank Celestia, you weren’t there… But the rest of the class,” her voice sank.

“With all the work Ah… Ah must’ve totally forgotten, you had alchemy today,” Applejack’s nose rosed, she ruffled Apple Bloom’s mane and joined Rarity – both girls hugged Scootaloo as well.

“At least you are safe, girls…” softly said Fluttershy, she threw quick anxious glances towards the completely quiet building.

“But we don’t know how serious things are… And the class…” Twilight shook her head. “Please, girls, organize the herd.” She turned to the rest of the ponies. “All right, everypony listen! Don’t panic and don’t gallop around! Now, you all are heading towards those trees and stay there until further directions. We will assist the teachers. Headmaster, please guide the students as you usually do.”

“What has happened here?” slowly asked Sweetie Belle, she took a look over the herd, sacredly trampling behind the school fence.

“Why everypony is out?” added Apple Bloom. “And where…”

Twilight sighed and closed her eyes for a second, then she decided to tell things quick.

“There is possibly one of those creatures in the school, those, everypony were warned about,” Twilight deliberately avoided certain terms like “monsters”, “Seekers” and alike. “One or more, we don’t know for sure. The school was evacuated at the first signs of…” she stumbled, “of intrusion. But miss Cheerilee with her students were on the alchemy class, in the basement, they are still there, not knowing about the evacuation. The building is closed, nopony enters or approaches it at the moment… Actually,” she added with visible relief, “we thought, you three were also trapped.”

“Rainbow and Alex set off to look for you,” Pinkie pointed at the broken window on the upper floor. “They climbed in a few minutes ago.”

“Rainbow and Alex?!” re-asked Scootaloo, making big eyes.

“Yeah, that’s what bothers me as well. Rainbow has no idea, what may wait there and what she risks,” muttered Twilight aside, so only Fluttershy could hear. Then she raised her voice again. “Come on, everypony! You heard it, we’re moving away from here, to the safer distance.”

“That refers to you too!” added she strictly to a few stallions, joining the herd and looking at the fence evaluatively, as if they planned to climb over it and approach the school.


The class looked like it was left in a hurry: papers and pencils still lay on the desks, some of which were budged, dropping the students’ belongings to the floor. The chalk stick was on the teacher’s desk instead of its usual place, left when the teacher dropped writing on the board mid-phrase. The wind rustled with the flowers in a large vase, but otherwise the dead silence reigned here. Dust was dancing in the sunlight coming from the broken window and the whole room looked hastily abandoned… like ones left by their inhabitants during the atomic bombing.

Alex frowned, inwardly brushing away the unwelcome nasty comparison. The glass shards cracked under his steps, when he crossed the class, stating its complete emptiness; feeling thankful that by some miracle he contrived to put on the boots, not leaving them at the lake, Alex took another look around.

“Hey! Hay-head!” called he loudly. “I always thought that the basement was something, well, at the base of the building, not under the roof! Dash!!!”

The noise from the corridor attracted his attention and Alex hurried to the open door, crunching the glass under his feet. Rainbow Dash already darted between the rooms, kick opening the closed doors and quickly examining the classes; she barely squinted at Alex.

“Scootaloo!!! Apple Bloom! Sweetie Belle!” yelled the cyan pegasus so loudly, Alex cringed, feeling his ears protested against that torture. “Girls!!! Miss Cheerilee!!!”

Alex rushed towards the ruffled troublemaker, darting in the next empty class after her. Now when he found Rainbow, the noise was hardly helping.

“What the hay are you doing?!” hissed he, watching how Rainbow methodically rummaged around the biology and anatomy class, judging by the wired pony skeleton she knocked over, looking under the desks and tables and peeking in the closets. “All the noise you make! You will attract the Seeker. I couldn’t care less, but that can’t be said about you…”

“Why don’t you simply shut up and do something useful?!” With a despising expression Rainbow flitted past him and checked another part of the room. “As you are here anyway…” she huffed and headed to the hallway again.

Alex groaned and followed her to the next class.

“Hey, I’m not insisting on anything, but you heard the headmaster,” he tried to call for her common sense. “The class must be in the basement, hopefully safe, if they locked it. And mine previous statement about the noise stayeth! Dost thou want to make the scoundrel come hither and tumble thy brains arrant?!” exploded he finally, seeing Rainbow bringing more mess to the room, turning things upside down and calling for the foals again.

“Look, I don’t know what you are here for… mister Old Ponish!” Rainbow Dash stopped searching and darted to Alex, she dropped that right into his face, almost bumping him with her nose. “But I came to find the students. Any students, which may stay here!” added she meaningfully.

“They were taken out all of a sudden, nopony knew what was going on. You know, foals can get scared and hide somewhere, instead of exiting,” huffed Rainbow sarcastically. “Clearly, you don’t have foals!”

“Ohhh…” Alex groaned and rolled his eyes, joining Rainbow in her search. “Comest on! Like if thou had them!”

“Whatever!” despite pinkish nose, nothing seemingly could put her out of countenance. “This way they can at least hear somepony familiar… so we can find them. I bet that didn’t come into your head!”

“Just don’t make it sound, as if the whole school was collapsing, okay. And please don’t yell! Believe me, you don’t want to face that creature…”

But Rainbow only huffed again in response.

They searched the rest of the rooms the same way, then proceeded to the first floor, which appeared to be empty. Classes, store rooms, restrooms – everything was deserted and quiet. Alex thought that it would be easier without Rainbow’s acrid comments; she couldn’t stop poking his mere presence, saying that he made considerably more noise than her, hitting things with his wings, etcetera, etcetera. If not the situation, they would probably be fighting again in no time. Besides, despite the complete silence in the building, Alex could clearly feel the Seeker. Fortunately only one, somewhere on the ground floor… But for unsuspecting ponies that could be more than enough to say goodbye to their memories at least.

‘She is holding quite nicely!’ Alex watched Rainbow stopping amidst the first-floor hallway and taking another look around. ‘For all what I know about the effects the Seekers cause in ponies…’ The closer they approached the supposed monster location, the stronger those got.

“Do you feel that as well?” Rainbow glanced at Alex quickly, apparently, her thoughts went along the same lines and her question sounded almost friendly.

“I can feel their presence, if you know what I am talking about,” simply answered Alex. “I don’t feel despair, or other… things…”

“Hmpf!” from Rainbow that came almost like “Cheater!”

They reached the stairs to the ground floor and Alex did his best to go down first subtly. He peeked into the lower hallway, estimating the situation; Rainbow poked him into his back impatiently. To the right was the school exit – massive double doors, now closed and probably locked, to the left the hallway stretched away, same doors on both sides, lockers, the end sank in dim light. It was completely empty. However, the feeling of foreign presence was so strong here, that Alex threw a quick glance over the shoulder; the effect must be the strongest on Rainbow Dash as well. The bravado was still written on her muzzle, but not as clearly, and he noticed how the girl shuddered and swallowed a lump forcedly.

“Come on!”

“The basement must be there,” said Alex quietly, nodding towards the far end. “Let’s just find Ms Cheerilee’s class, okay? I highly doubt anypony sane would stay on that floor, feeling… all that.”

To his surprise, Rainbow Dash agreed suspiciously easily and they entered the hallway, listening carefully. Alex felt that the Seeker must be in some of the rooms in the middle of the building. Inwardly anathematizing the creature, which could complicate their attempt to bring out the students, he tried to make less noise, signalling Rainbow to follow suit. The monster no doubt had felt Alex as well, but it was worth trying to avoid startling it anyway.

The quiet noise from behind of the closed door, made them stop in the middle of the corridor. Something massive tried to move as insensibly as it could, but still failed to hide its presence and proportions. Alex wanted to slide by, when Rainbow suddenly soared, heading to the door with “Storage room” plate.

“I’ll give you a good kick, bastard…”

“Wait! Thou foal!” Alex didn’t find anything better to do, than to grab her tail, stopping and pulling Rainbow back. “What did I tell thee?! Needst porridge instead of thy brains?”

Rainbow Dash let out a quiet, yet angry scream, like an irate cat, turning around and lashing out at him. Alex simply pushed her aside, hissing and swinging hooves, and rushed to the door. Having nothing else to undertake, he ripped the plank off the door frame, snapped it into halves on the knee and propped the door handle with that improvised bar; that scene made Rainbow stop and watch Alex with dilated eyes. Thankfully the door could be opened outside.

“It shan’t provide us problems for a while…” forgetting about the silence Alex darted to the dead end, noticing the large hatch in the floor along one wall. “Go, quick!”

He found the handle on the heavy trapdoor and pulled, but the door didn’t give up. “Damn it! Locked!” Alex drummed into it, trying to gain the attention of those, who might be inside. He took a deep breath, feeling grateful for hearing the quick hoofsteps on the stairs below.

“Who’s there?” the slightly nervous mare voice asked; she sounded trying her best not to give up to the panic. “What’s going on?”

“You!” Rainbow caught up with him, the initial surprise winded out and she remembered about his trick. “Don’t ever dare to do that again! You hear me?” The first poke was quite palpable, but Alex simply waved the enraged girl away.

“Quick! Open the door and let us in!” he tried to sound convincing and calm, as much as the situation allowed. “That’s Alex… the human. Rainbow Dash is also here!” grunting from another hit between his ribs Alex decided, that name could sound more familiar.


“It takes them too long to stay there, don’t you think?” Fluttershy pulled Twilight on her wing outside, her voice tinted with anxiety and growing fear.

“Yeah, it’s too quiet,” noticed Pinkie. “Quite strange, knowing Alex went inside with Dash.”

“Okay, the situation becomes more serious!” Twilight threw a quick glance at her friend not sure if she was joking. “I need to bring guards and maybe even…” she took a look over the herd gathering under the trees, the empty yard, the school – nopony left the building yet.

Applejack and Rarity cuddled the three fillies together, keeping them safe and calm. The teachers and other ponies from the town watched the scared foals. On that distance the mental effect of the Seeker was minimal. However, nopony dared to break the alert silence.

“…maybe even the princess,” concluded Twilight, shaking her mane determinedly. “Don’t do anything, I’ll be back in a minute.”


The familiar name seemed to convince miss Cheerilee, she unlocked the hatch and pushed the door up, letting those outside open it. She could barely step aside, when the trapdoor fell back, hitting the wall, and some ruffled ball of legs, hands and wings tumbled into the basement, rolling down the stairs with the sounds of the muffled fight. The door slammed back, miss Cheerilee watched the mess with wide open eyes, lifting the fore hoof in utter shock.

With a thud the feathery ball reached the bottom and fell apart, raising a cloud of dust. Unfortunately for him, Alex found himself on the floor and Rainbow Dash revengefully jumped on him several times more.

“Hi there!” she hopped off, breathing heavily, yet with a victorious smile, overlooking the students, who froze on spots with widened eyes and mouths open.

Muttering something about her closest relatives Alex groaned and picked himself up finally, he cautiously stretched his arms and wings, causing a few whoops of surprise; he was sure that he heard something cracking, but thankfully everything flexed as intended.

“What… the fff…flying hay you were doing?” he turned around and squinted at Rainbow, doing his best not to tell her, what he was thinking exactly. “I guess expecting an adult mare’s reaction was quite presumptuous of me!!! Why don’t you leave all the cr…”

Miss Cheerilee stared at him, her cerise cheeks slowly turned purple; the teacher definitely didn’t approve somepony swearing in front of her class. A few foals giggled. Noticing that all the eyes in the basement were locked on him, partially because of the way they arrived, but mostly because seeing a winged human was unexpected, Alex was to admit he looked rather funny than menacing: ruffled, dusty, red as a lobster… Rainbow Dash mockingly scoffed at him without a word.

“Ahem…” Alex gave up and addressed miss Cheerilee apologetically. “I’m sorry for our sudden intrusion… but the situation demands. You must remember that warning about the creatures, which may appear randomly and possess certain danger for the ponies, correct?”

The flush faded on mare’s cheeks and her light-green eyes lit with concern.

“Go on, I’m listening!” miss Cheerilee called the class for silence with a single gesture and waved her pale rose striped mane determinedly.

“Well, everything you heard is true,” Alex nodded with regret. “One of those creatures appeared in the school building and manifested its arrival with the expected symptoms at once. The school was evacuated, but due to the tragic mistake you weren’t informed. So, we came to help.”

“Foals, please keep quiet!” miss Cheerilee calmed down the fillies and colts, who hummed resentfully behind Alex’s back. “Let’s hear the whole story first.”

“The building is empty now, except us here and the creature upstairs,” Alex raised his hand warningly, feeling the tension of the students. “We managed to lock it in the storage room on the ground floor, all we need is to take you all out of that basement, accurately cross the hallway and get outside. There are not too many of you,” he took a look around, “so we have a fair chance to do it fast.”

“And what about the… creature?” asked somepony from the class. “Will you leave it inside?”

“The tests are getting delayed!” giggled one filly and miss Cheerilee looked at her fixedly. “Sorry, miss Cheerilee…”

“I will deal with it later,” Alex chose the most neutral answer, “when there is nopony else in the building, so nopony can get hurt.”

“I understand that my question may be out of place in these circumstances,” the teacher mare glanced at him evaluatively. “But can you guarantee the safety of the students?”

“The Seeker… the creature won’t approach the place, where I am,” simply said Alex. “Don’t ask, that’s a long story! I will block the door to the room, it’s locked in, to avoid any accident. Then you can safely proceed to the exit. I’m doing my best,” Alex shrugged. “Unless you have better suggestions and that basement has any other way out.”

“Unfortunately, no. It has good ventilation, but no windows or other doors, so the only entrance is at the same time the only exit…”

“Okay!” miss Cheerilee quickly made the decision and turned to the class. “We’re getting out with the help of these…” she stumbled, looking over Rainbow and Alex. “…assistants. Students, please, make sure, you’re not having any reaction running on your desks before leaving. I ask you to be quick, quiet and follow the directions of our guides in letter. Understood?”

“Well, it’s about time to start doing something actually,” muttered Rainbow Dash, when the small herd rustled affirmatively; she headed up the stairs to check the way. The next second the muffled sound of an explosion reached their ears through the tightly closed hatch, the whole building palpably wavered. A few foals squeaked in terror and Alex had time to think that everything started too well to end well likewise.

“You must be bucking kidding me!” slowly squeezed out Rainbow, lifting the trapdoor a little and observing something in the corridor behind.

Alex’s heart sank, in a few huge jumps he flew up the stairs, pushing the girl aside and peeking into the gap. Nopony knew what was in that storage, but the infamous git managed to find the worst possible, rumbling around the locked room, which looked like candent hell at the moment. The explosion burst out the door and smacked it into the opposite wall, spraying the flames across the corridor, so the whole passage was blocked. With escalating roar fire licked the wooden panels and floor, climbing up the walls and reaching the ceiling with numerous fast-growing scarlet trees of light and sparkles. The line of fire quickly approached them, filling the hallway with thick suffocative smoke.

“We’re blocked!” Alex gritted his teeth, pulling Rainbow back and slamming the hatch shut. Fortunately the trap door and the whole basement entrance were bound with metal, thus promising some protection, but otherwise they were in a perfect trap. It was a small consolation that Alex noted subconsciously, he didn’t feel the Seeker presence anymore; the monster must have fallen the victim of own unwitting sabotage. They truly had a much bigger problem than some Seeker at that moment.

Alex took a look around almost in the naïve hope that some miracle could suggest them another way out, but as miss Cheerilee said, the relatively small basement had nothing except desks and closets, a few ventilation shafts covered with grates, too narrow to safely let even a foal through. ‘Who the hell was building it that way?!’ Suddenly he stumbled upon the important detail, he didn’t notice before in that rush.

“I’m sorry, but is the whole class here?” Alex scanned the present colts and fillies, obviously not finding somepony he expected. “Where are three more girls: Apple Bloom and her friends?”

“Oh,” miss Cheerilee let out a tiny smile. “They asked for the permission to study alchemy deeper, visiting Zecora instead of usual classes. I saw no reasons to object, nor did the headmaster. Thus they were allowed to, for their luck I see.”

The faint glimpse of relief couldn’t overshadow Alex’s feeling of despair: they were trapped in the basement with a single exit, durable enough to withstand the fire for a while, even ventilated, yet it was only a matter of time, till the smoke inevitably started infiltrating inside. Besides, the timbered building would give the firefighters almost no chance to get to them, before the whole construction collapsed and buried them in their hiding place. There was no difference between perishing in the company of the familiar ponies or completely random.

Alex’s hand fortuned some small object in his pocket, miraculously surviving their fall from the stairs; Twilight’s sleeping potion, Alex carried with him just in case since his days in Canterlot. It shed a thin ray of light on their fate, making Alex’s eyes light with hope. However, the realization he made struck him immediately: using that chance would at once cross out all the attempts to conceal his abilities.

‘If even Celestia is unsure about me, what would the common ponies think after that? First the wings,’ Alex thought that ponies’ reaction was moderate to his relief, ‘and now that… When they were clearly told, humans possess no magic…’

“Hey!” Rainbow nudged him, seeing how Alex’s eyes glassed for a moment.

Alex swallowed forcedly, confessing to himself that it was an endlessly generous gift, he couldn’t hope for or afford wasting it. With a subtle gesture he asked miss Cheerilee for a private word.

“You can still pull through that fire,” Alex tried to control his racing heart and sound most convincing. “However, for that I shall need to stay.” Catching her bemused glance, he asked for attention with his eyes only, continuing in a half voice. “This,” he showed Cheerilee the small vial, “shalt make me fall asleep at once, then I can control the flames to make you a safe road through. Dost not ask! Dost not evaluate it! Please, simply believest me…”

“I couldn’t explain in a few words, that’s complicated,” he intercepted her wild glance, understanding how weird he must sound. “The smoke shalt eventually find its way inside, but I have fair chances to hold on longer alone.”

“This place hath ventilation thou say. Excellent. I’m going to buy you as much time as I can, who knoweth, when they start extinguishing the flames!” added he. “Afore thou tellest anything, I’m not happy about that method, as I can’t extinguish the fire arrant either. But that’s all we have!”

Rainbow Dash, who managed to hear everything, stared at Alex, her eyes opening wider and wider; miss Cheerilee opened and closed her mouth silently.

“But…” she finally regained her voice, looking over the frightened foals in despair.

“I’m afraid, it’s either now or nev’r situation, ma’am,” Alex slowly shook his head. “Simply do that please!”

“Are you really going to do that?” in a wink Rainbow slid to him, looking up into Alex’s eyes, as if trying to spot some trick. “You must be even more of a weirdo, than I ever thought! That’s…” she stumbled. “How do you plan to get out?!”

“Who said, I’m getting out,” smirked Alex wryly. “It’s ye all either watering down the fire and taking me out, or… Well, I extend mine hope thither shan’t be any “or”!”

“Class!” miss Cheerilee finally took herself into hooves and raised the voice. “All of you gather on the stairs in line. No talks, no delays! When it’s time we simply run in line to the school doors and outside, you simply follow me. Don’t look aside or stop!” she looked at Alex inquiringly. “I need to be sure everypony left…”

“I’ll take the rear and keep them trotting,” simply stated Rainbow, Alex saw how much it took her to put on the trademark “so what” look again to keep the foals encouraged. She started gathering the students, putting them in line without a further word.

“But… Miss Cheerilee,” asked one colt. “How do we get through the flames.”

“That gentlecolt promises to pave us a road,” the teacher nodded towards Alex. “But, indeed… how?”

“Givest me a minute after I… take the potion,” Alex headed to the far wall and sat under the nearest vent, trying not to think about the faint smoke he already smelt. “Then check the corridor and hurry outside. I know what I’m doing, thither shalt be a pass and the fire shan’t hurt you.”

“Hey, fluffy ruffian!” he winked, gaining Rainbow’s attention. “Makest sure nopony is left behind!”

Not waiting for the convulsive nod of the cyan mare, Alex downed the potion in one gulp and leaned on the wall in a few seconds, as his eyes closed; Rainbow looked away.


Nopony realized at first, what that distant bang could mean, thus nopony got scared of worried, until the first trails of thick smoke snaked through the gaps of the front doors and nearest windows. Even then the whole herd stared at them for a few seconds, as if unable to believe what actually happened. Then the first scream split the air.

“Fire! The school is burning!”

The same exact moment a portal opened between the trees and the school yard, spouting out a number of guards, which chained around the smoking building professionally and fast. That made the girls wake up and remember Twilight’s request, they did their best to calm down the foals and, truth be told, teachers as well, keeping them on the safe distance.

“Nopony panic… please!” Fluttershy turned to the younger students, her voice trembled, but she made an effort and took over, adding more confidently, more for them than for herself. “Everything will be alright, they’re going to save your friends.”

‘I hope!’ flashed in her head.

Applejack and Rarity released their sisters and compacted the herd, watching that nopony panic or rush to the school; Rarity pursed her suddenly becoming pale lips and threw quick glances over her shoulder at the building. The smoke became thicker and darker meanwhile, obviously, the old dry wood appeared an enjoyable meal for the fire, as first glimpses of flames blinked through the façade windows. Jumping on the roughs and rumbling the firefighter carriage appeared on the road in the cloud of dust.

“I see, Twilight didn’t waste time,” noticed Pinkie, watching fixedly those few stallions, who tried to get over the fence before. “That’s the way to go!”

“Pinkie, keep an eye, partner!” Applejack rushed towards the arriving firefighters. “We ‘ave a pump nearby in the orchard. Ah’ll show ‘em, where to feed the hose.”

That very moment something, which nopony expected, happened: a human figure appeared, weaving seemingly from the thin air right above the smoking school. The flames meanwhile took over the ground floor and rushed up the outer walls through the blown out windows. The wind brought the smell of burning dry wood, quickly consumed by the spreading fire, and the crackling and shooting of the scorched planks, bent under the force of elements.

Alex flapped his wings, rising higher above the building; in one quick glance around he could notice the empty yard, the chain of guards surrounding the scene, the whole school gathering under the trees at some distance. He spotted the girls among the confused teachers and frightened students: three of them did their best to keep the herd adequate, the fourth darted somewhere with the arrived firefighters team. Twilight was nowhere to be seen.

‘I very much hope she knows what she is doing and does that fast!’ His fate depended on his lilac friend decisions entirely.

But he had his own part to play: Alex unfurled the wings, soaring higher, and mentally touched the flames below. It looked like the whole fire twitched faintly, it kept spreading across the walls without dealing much damage though, like if the time flowed differently for the flames. The latter now covered almost the whole building in a thin flowing and shimmering film. Large sheets and stripes of flames started to detach from the fire, they floated up, curling lazily and enveloping the dark winged figure one by one. The flames formed a candent sphere, swirling in a few layers of fiery “armour” of all the tints of red, orange and blinding white, flowing and transmuting one into another, yet transparent enough to see the human inside.

Hearing the screams of terror Alex noticed some ponies crouching to the ground, even covering their eyes with the fore hooves; he sighed, bracing himself inwardly. ‘I shall need to explain so much now! And Twilight – as well… Thither is no other way…’

Remembering his relationship with magic and considering his sleepwalking some sort of magic nevertheless, Alex could never imagine touching himself with own impact – the unpredicted risk could be too high. He could, of course, try the same method as with Spike, raising him with the inanimate object. But he would need to pack himself in some box… without confidence that he could move it outside anyway. Without confidence that he could pull that trick and restrain the flames at the same time. Wasn’t going to work! Alex did instead, what he could do the best in that situation – controlled the fire. And for that he was to overlook the scene, no matter how much he wanted to keep his secrets.

The steady connection was formed and the flames pulled up from the burning building, swirling around the floating figure with large wings; the minimal possible amount of the fire kept gnawing on the doomed school.

“Calm down!” Fluttershy exclaimed with unusual force in her voice, seeing that both Rarity and even usually unflappable Pinkie were close to fainting, jaws dropped, staring at the fiery phenomenon in awe and fear. “Nopony is going to be hurt! He is trying to save them that way…” Her heart froze in the realization of what Alex was doing to achieve that effect, her mind screamed. ‘How is he going to get out?! Twilight, where are you?..’


“Come on, we waited for a few minutes already,” Rainbow Dash threw another glance at the motionless human body and turned to the trap door. “If anything was going to help us, it did already or… we are completely busted.”

She took a deep breath and opened the hatch slightly, peeking through the gap. Rainbow expected to see nothing but the cloud of thick choking smoke in the hallway full of flame, but what she saw made her freeze for a second. The smoke remained, but it was unimaginably thinner than expected, the charred floor wasn’t severely damaged and the main thing – it was free of fire; the center of the corridor had enough space to move not risking to be burnt alive. Covered in flames the walls still held fine, no crackling, hot sparkles or fiery protuberances crossing the space in different directions; the flames flowed up the walls slowly and sleepily, as if they consumed the building by some ridiculous coercion only, not their own will.

The road was free!

“Hurry up!” the pegasus girl woke from her amazement and pushed miss Cheerilee lightly. “Who knows, how long the whole thing can hold!” she threw a quick glance on the ceiling playing with all tints of fire, flowing like the pool of lava. “Keep your heads down! GO!”

Following miss Cheerilee, ducking and throwing cautious glances at burning walls and ceiling, the whole class rushed in line towards the exit.

“Don’t go step by step!” miss Cheerilee coughed from the smoke. “Don’t let the floor resonate…”

The front doors were closed, but to their luck unlocked, and she burst them open with one good kick, jumping outside and stopping. She hurried every exiting foal in the most encouraging manner she still was capable, inwardly counting them.

Rainbow Dash estimated the distance to the exit. ‘Almost nothing and at the same time an infinity, if the fire comes raging again!’ She alternated between the doors and the human figure in the basement, between Alex and the school doors again and again.

“Come on!” one of the students pulled her worriedly. “What are you waiting for?”

The opened front doors let the wind inside, pushing the smoke deeper into the hallway and towards the hatch. Rainbow gritted her teeth, feeling helpless; she slammed the trap door shut, ensuring it closed tight enough, then pushed the foal forward. ‘May Celestia help you!’


The firefighters unrolled the hose, attaching one end to the water pump, shown them by Applejack. They started to extinguish the fire from outside, glaring dazedly up at the fiery figure still pulling the flames from the building, when the front doors opened, letting the ruffled, scared, dirty and coughing class and their teacher outside. The sigh of relief mixed with amazement rolled across the herd. Rainbow ran out the last: she quickly checked behind, roared out something to Cheerilee, pointing towards the rest of the school guarded by the girls under the trees up the hill. Then she threw a glance up and… nearly sat down on her hind legs, spotting “another” Alex above the school in the sky.

To her honour, Rainbow Dash recovered quite fast, darting in the air and making a circle around the fire: the seen didn’t calm her and the firefighters’ efforts were definitely not enough to take down the flames. She landed hard near the rest of the girls, stomping the ground angrily.

“That won’t go! They barely made my feathers wet, it’s like watering the sand in the desert, I’m telling you!” she took a wild look around. “And where the hay is Twilight?!”

With water added the smoke became thicker and darker, looking more noxious. The fiery Alex watched the scene below with serenity of the doomed, flames kept flowing towards him, enveloping his body and wings and swirling around in the giant sphere. And another, the real Alex…

“He wouldn’t do that without finding a safer place first. They will save him!” Rarity embraced Fluttershy, who hid her muzzle on friends’ chest, Fluttershy’s shoulders trembled. Rainbow tried to soar again, spitting out something unpleasant in firefighters’ address, but Pinkie grabbed her, keeping on the ground.

The bright flash in the sky almost blinded everypony. It took Twilight one fleeting glance to understand everything, her eyes dilated and she flinched. Rainbow Dash broke free and flew up, hovering next to Twilight and giving the latter a mad look.

“He is still down there, in the basement!” Rainbow made a small impatient loop around Twilight. “Nopony deserves to be burnt alive…”

Another, even brighter flash revealed the regal white figure, whose arrival usually brought hope into everypony’s soul. Celestia took a quick look over the scene and her eyes widened just like Twilight’s, when she saw Alex above the school. The firefighters did their best, but the burning area was too large to be controlled completely. Little by little subtly, but with deadly determination, fire enveloped the entire building again.

“Princess, we need to extinguish the fire!” Twilight turned to Celestia in despair. “There is a lake nearby, but I can’t levitate enough water alone.”

Apparently, the reasons for her surprise were different than of her apprentice, as Celestia stumbled in the air upon seeing the human. She visibly shuddered, when Alex slowly turned to them and the flaming sphere grew slightly, pulsing like the heartbeat.

“Good afternoon, princess!” the human phoenix nodded ironically, barely flapping his wings, pitch black inside and candent from the flames flowing on their surface; they were not the force keeping Alex in the air in that case. “It’s quite hot for autumn, isn’t it? Glad to see you joining us though!” his welcoming gesture and wry smile, looking like a dark fissure in lava behind that fiery curtain, pulled Celestia from her consternation.

“What… happened her, pray tell?” she blinked, approaching Alex. “Twilight wasn’t very eloquent, when she flashed before my eyes…”

Her faithful student meanwhile rushed down, made a circle around the building; seeing the futility of extinguishing efforts, she concentrated, the horn lit lilac and… Teleported most likely from the nearby lake, they learned to fly above seemingly the eternity before, about a railway tank of water appeared and poured on the building. Truth be told it was able to put out the roof, but nothing else; something cracked menacingly below and the smoke became denser.

“A Seeker appeared in school and we were to evacuate one class from the basement,” Alex threw up his hands casually, as if he wasn’t floating in the air amidst the sphere of constantly spinning sheets of flame and sparks. “But something exploded and the fire intervened our plans. Everypony is safe, but I would be extremely grateful, if you helped to put out the fire and… save my life.”

“You are… still there?! In the building?” Celestia’s eyes dilated in terror, she flapped her wings convulsively.

“Yes, it started, when I was in already…” another wry smile, the wings spread wider, seemingly becoming larger, sparkles raised in a hot cloud from the fiery figure. Alex kept pulling the flames, as he couldn’t do otherwise, at the same time rendering Twilight’s efforts useless; the roof started covering in flames again. “Unfortunately I can’t stop it myself. And despite all the ventilation, the smoke starts coming in…”

Alex watched the white alicorn, majestic even in her bemusement and doubts. And he was completely sure there were certain doubts in that pretty head. Seen in her eyes, in her tightly shut lips, in the strained jaw line and trembling ears.

“An interesting choice I admit,” Alex crossed his arms meditatively, shooting Celestia’s concerns right in the heart. “You can extinguish the flames and save your troubles, or… become assured thither is one trouble less. Needless to say which variant I would prefer. Anyway…” he stumbled.

The princess looked straight through him, seeing Equestria behind that ironic smile and the wall of flame, the portal in another world, the endless swarm of armoured ponies. ‘What if… No. No! That’s not the way out! Why? He knew, what he was going for… Wasn’t he trying to commit suicide less than a month ago? No, Tia, you know that you can’t! The safety of all the Equestria probably… Not for that price though!’

“It… it becometh difficult to breathe hither,” Alex didn’t cross his arms already, but held onto his chest, cringing, his neck strained. “The smoke! Please, Tia, whatever thou choose…”

“Get back!” he threw one hand forward, pushing Celestia away with his gesture and coughing.

Unwittingly she slid back, raising higher; the human figure hunched, fighting the suffocation, and fell down, bending back, apparently losing control. The fiery orb flashed brightly and exploded into a blinding cloud of flames, strands of fire and sparkles showered around. Fortunately, they died fast in the air, not causing any harm. The human figure disappeared, not reaching the roof.

The fire roared and shot up violently, as if it waited for the chance to show its free will only; the building cracked loudly.

‘No! That’s not right…’ Celestia winced, waking from her visions and glancing at the burning hell below, biting her lip. Her horn lit blindingly bright, seemingly the quarter of the lake water, scooped by the alicorn magic, came down in torrents, momentarily flushing all the fire. It made all the school yard, fair number of guards, both Twilight and raging around Rainbow soaking wet. But a fraction of second before that downpour, before the school, unable to withstand all the disasters, sighed heavily and started to collapse, some long colourful figure slithered from the building outside. Something was slung over the shoulder of that dragon-like figure. Or maybe somebody.


Alex coughed, shaking with his entire body, almost spitting his lungs out, yet feeling how the fresh air comes through the bitterness of wood smoke and takes it away little by little. He was dirty, wet, trembling, his vision floated, blurred and filled with coloured spots, but he was definitely alive.

“Woke up finally!” one of the coloured spots moved and leaned closer. “As if I had nothing better than to pull you out of the consequences of your bright ideas…”

However, Alex was immensely happy to hear that grumpy voice, even if he was yet unable to tell anything, still coughing and inhaling the air, like the tastiest thing on Equus. Apple flavoured air! What else could he wish for? It finally took away his nausea.

“Feel any better?” Discord examined him closer and grunted contentedly. “Well, I have the honour to bow out then. Have a nice day!” And before Alex could open his mouth, the draconequus vanished with the finger click.

Trying to overcome the blurredness, Alex raised on his elbows, he found himself laying spreading his wings on the hill, not far from Ponyville school. The wind brought the smell of apples only slightly tinted with smoke. Suddenly something overshadowed the light for him, landing on the soft grass. Alex squinted, focusing on the white tall frame; he blinked several times, trying to sit straight.

“Are you okay?” Celestia asked softly, sounding constrained at the same time. “I was able to notice how…”

“Yeah, I’m okay, I guess…” slightly forcedly breathed out Alex. “Nothing that the fresh air couldn’t vent out. Ouch!..”

Something wet and dirty, ruffled and smelling of smoke, bumped into him and almost knocked back on the ground flat, grabbing him in a tight hug instead. Alex felt, as if all the air was hit out of his lungs; coughing violently he tried to regain both breath and focus, finally seeing the cyan coat and colourful mane of the mare grabbing him. Completely abashed he raised his hand and stroked her head lightly. In a second the pegasus squeaked bemusedly and released him.

“Errmmm… I’m… I’m sorry! I…” Rainbow Dash started becoming almost crimson, so strangely the flush looked on her cyan cheeks and snoot. “Your Highness, excuse me!” she threw a quick glance at Celestia, then turned to Alex again. “I wanted to apologize… For… For everything… You know!” she made a grimace, funny in its clumsy contrition, then squeaked and attempted to soar, but reconsidered and stayed.

Alex nodded enthusiastically, risking to feel dizzy again and confirming his decision with a smile, which caused another wave of crimson across Rainbow’s muzzle. She looked struggling to find more fitting words and fidgeted about, unsure if to fly away.

Finally, Alex could pick himself up to his feet; he tried to clean himself a bit, but waved his hand upon the futility of the attempts. It would be easier to take another dive into the lake to wash away all the dust and ash, considering he was almost entirely wet already.

“Thanks… for deciding in mine favour anyway!” he met Celestia’s eyes, giving her a very long understanding look.