• Published 2nd Jul 2017
  • 1,450 Views, 66 Comments

Stories in Stone, Last Dance - TDR



All stories must end, even those in stone. The final book of the Stories in Stone series.

  • ...
2
 66
 1,450

Last Show

Stories in Stone
Last Dance
By TDR

Last Show

[1467 years after the first defeat of Tirek]


The heavy sound of leathery wing beats caused Twilight to lift her head. She could hear a number of Guards behind her in the field shifting in a bit of panic or worry as the last rays of the sunset were blotted out by the great shadows cast by the pair above her. She had been altered to their approach quite a while back by the Guards, all of whom were surprised when the Princess of the Night canceled her court and went out to the training fields to meet the approaching Dragons.

It had been a long time since Spike and Bleu had come to see her, there probably were only a hoof full of Guards who even recalled them, and that small amount was probably nearing retirement.

Still looking up at the massive Dragons drifting down to land on the field she had to wonder the occasion was, usually Spike just sent a letter.

Even in the fading light she could tell something was wrong.

Bleu had been aging. That much was clear given the large number of gray scales she had and how faded her blue ones had gotten. In truth she was supposed to have a thousand years or more left, simply due to the longevity of dragons, but Spike had theorized her time in stone had counted against her. It was a small secret that they had done their best to keep from Luna and Celestia. Neither wanted the pair to know that their actions in the past had caused issues with one of their oldest friends.

Spike however, Spike also looked older. He didn't have the gray scales Bleu did, but he seemed to have more weight on his shoulders, his eyes seemed weary.

A dragon could prolong their age by sleeping, the average dragon lived around two thousand years, though the time was not counted while they were in a 'nap'. It was why younger dragons slept so little and older ones took naps that lasted hundreds of years. The young wanted to grow and the older wanted to stop growing. The result of the time awake showed in some of the dragons sizes, the longer they stayed up between naps the larger they got. Spike was currently the largest Dragon alive that any one knew of, and that was the last time they measured which was quite a while back.

Spike looked as if he had been awake for a while, and what was worse, the flood of power she usually felt when another god was around was not present.

Once that clicked she noticed other things as the great wyrms landed, kicking up dust and knocking over a few unprepared Guards.

Spike was holding a book.

Bleu was holding an egg.

And both of them looked as if they had been crying. Bleu more than Spike, the female was nearly a wreck.

Twilight didn't waste any time and trotted up to the pair as soon as they touched down.

“What's wrong?” She asked, skipping to the point immediately before either of them had time to try and deflect the conversation.

Spike looked back at Bleu with a small sigh. The blue dragon only briefly met his gaze before wiping her eyes.

“Don't expect to see Luna or Jer'rahd for a while Twilight.” Spike finally stated. “They took this about as well as they took their daughters death.”

“Took what, what are you....?” Twilight frowned looking up at Spike before sitting down hard her ears flattening to her head. “ You..... you're leaving aren’t you?”

There existed a legend among Dragons since the time of their creation. An island far to the north beyond the frozen north and in a place untouched by any living creature, of a place called the Dragon Graveyard. While many Dragons died of conflict or accidents, the ones who reached a certain age felt a call, one that grew stronger year after year until one day they simply flew north letting an instinct guide them to their final resting place.

Spike had found a book of that place, one that he himself had written in the future that documented the time there. The Dragon Graveyard was a tiny island at the top of the world surrounded by weather and sholes that would destroy any who sought out the island. Yet somehow Dragons at a certain point in their lives made it through. Though those who landed on the island never left again and entered their final sleep. Spike's book explained why, the island was the place the First Gods had given themselves to protect Equss by becoming the Element's of Harmony. The fallen Dragons were following a instinct to go there to fulfill the reason for their creation, to serve as guardians to the place with the last of their lives. Their fading energies fueling the maelstrom that protected the island. The book also contained Spike's last words to himself. Something he had only shown Twilight and it was just a small comment about being sure to come along when Bleu finally came to this place.

“I'm afraid so Twilight.” Spike grumbled. “We've already told Luna and Jer'rahd......”

“Boss was less than thrilled....” Bleu added. "When he finally calmed down he just asked I give everyone a hug for him."

Twilight winced at that.” I cannot say I am thrilled either.”

“I wouldn't even be going if I could help it.” Bleu muttered. “It's an itch that's been growing for years.... I fly and I feel myself drifting north....”

“But why are you going Spike.... You're a god you shouldn't be feeling this...” Twilight protested.

“Was. But even so gods still feel the pull of it. Ice Talon left a long time ago and she was the oldest Dragon any one knew. Copper was younger than I am when she left. I don't think it's really an age thing.” Spike sighed offering a small smile. “Besides, my mate here is scared of being alone.”

Bleu scoffed, but didn't respond to the comment.

“If you're not a god.......” Twilight stammered a bit. She had lost too many loved ones to lose herself now, but it had been over four hundred years since Applebloom died..... and she hadn't lost anyone as close to her as Spike was in that time. She closed her eyes steeling herself a bit more. She could cry later.

Spike looked back at her and Bleu came closer offering Twilight the egg she held.

“This is Moonstone.” Bleu stated softly. “She's my last egg......”

“You named her?” Twilight blinked. While Bleu and Spike had given every clutch they had to Celestia's.... Twilight's School for Gifted Students, they had never named any of the eggs allowing the foals that they were partnered with to do that instead. Despite being raised by ponies the pair had taken the same 'claws off ' approach to parenting as other Dragons, though they often checked up on them to make sure their partners were a good fit. Going so far as to remove a few of the hatchlings from partners they deemed 'unworthy'. Usually that caused a ridiculous uproar. Uproar that died down quickly once the reasons for the removal came to light. Often that reason also resulted in the removal of the student from the school, and in one case the placement of a former student into therapy.

“This ones special.” Bleu smirked as Twilight took the egg nestling it between her wings.

“On top of my giving her the power I held as a god, she's also going to be your successor’s partner.” Spike added.

“What?” Twilight blinked.

Spike offered Twilight the book he had been holding. The simple book looking tiny in his massive claw. It was an new tome, the leather bound cover likely from one of Spike's last sheddings, he had a habit of using an old molt of his to as covers for what he wrote. Embossed on the cover was a unicorns head, likely made of real gold that had been melted by Spike and formed into that shape along with the rest of the gold trim, something that would be near impossible on any book not bound in dragon leather.

“This is the history of the years to come Twilight. I pulled information from the future to fill this out. It's not a cheat sheet as it only tells of certain events before you step down. And of the several thousand years afterward so you don't have to worry what the future brings after you give up being a Princess. Your successor is going to take what you've done and make it last Twilight. Nox and Moonstone are going to make sure that Equss knows true peace like has never been seen before. A peace that they maintain thanks to something you created. “Spike smiled. “I know how you fret and worry about your plans and I wanted to make sure that you had something that would let you know when you can finally rest.”

“Spike.. you didn't.... “Twilight stammered.

“Hey, what kind of assistant would I be if I let you worry when you don't have to?”Spike smiled dipping his massive head to nuzzle against her lightly.

The massive purple Dragon lifted his head up looking off towards the setting sun with a sigh. “ We should go. There are storms coming in soon and I don't want Bleu to have to strain flying through them.”

“I'm not a invalid you putz.” Bleu snapped.

Spike chuckled as Bleu took to the air with a last wave. Spike rose up, looking down at Twilight longingly.

“Goodbye Twilight.” Spike offered a sad smile on his face.

“Goodbye my number one assistant.” Twilight responded her eyes starting to tear up.


And with a flap of wings the two dragons flew off towards the sunset before banking north leaving New Canterlot for the last time.

Author's Note:

I initially thought to include the encounter with Jer'rahd, Luna and Bleu in this before opting to leave that out.

Suffice to say Jer'rahd throwing a temper tantrum of sort that she was leaving would have been interesting , but not something i felt fit this.

4 chapters left of Last Dance.