• Published 18th Apr 2017
  • 1,460 Views, 3 Comments

We've Seen this Cliff Before.. - cosmoeitc



During a tour of a jungle at DaringCon, Quibble Pants and Rainbow Dash recognize some old, strange but funny memories.

  • ...
2
 3
 1,460

"Unexplored"? Really?

"Oh, this is awesome!"

"Wait 'till we get to the top!" Rainbow Dash flapped in front of Quibble as they "hiked" (not really RD just flew haha) up a mountain for a tour. They weren't paying much attention to the tour guide, just laughing and having fun.
Since the last DaringCon convention, they've added more activities. Like, hiking in a nearby jungle, where Rainbow and Quibble had actually been plopped in bags and dragged to the year before that in the last convention. Still, they tried to forget about it and enjoy the weather and scenery.

"You'd think they'd have a convention on a day where it's better to be inside. It's nice out here." Quibble said as they walked up the path.
Rainbow got down from flying and started to walk beside her friend. "It's pretty hot out though." She wiped sweat from her forehead.

"Not really..." Quibble turned to look at Rainbow Dash and stopped. "Woah.."

"W-what?" Rainbow stopped with him.

"You look warmer than normal.. a-at least, more so than you should..."

"I-I do?!"

"Dude, your face is all flustered and red." Quibble looked at her with concern, but with amusement. There was something about seeing his friend have a mental breakdown in front of him that made him ponder existence. He smirked a bit at Rainbow squirmed and cringed at the thought of seeing herself all red and weird in front of her cru-

Wait, no, you've told yourself already, Dash. That's not what it is. She changed her mind from the subject. She was about to bring up another topic when she heard the tour guide say, "Here we are, at the top of the cliff! Go enjoy the view, but please don't look past the orange cones. We don't want to have an accident, and the place at the bottom of the cliff is unexplored."

Right away, the other ponies went ahead of the two and went to see the view. Quibble and Rainbow looked at each other and followed the others up to the edge of the cliff.

Dash looked over the cliff, just enough to see what was down there, and her eyes widened a bit. She looked at Quibble and saw that he had the same expression on his face.

After staring at each other for a moment, they muttered in unison, "The temple of Chicomoztoc...."

They burst out laughing. They got a few stares, but at that moment, it really didn't matter.

After recovering from the irony, Quibble smirked and said, "You'd think somepony would have known that would be out there!"

"'Unexplored?' Really, guys, you can do better than that!" Rainbow joined in, still pretty hysterical.

They heard the tour guide's voice again: "Mares and gentlecolts, I'd like to direct your attention to this rock..." The other ponies walked away from the cliffside and listened to the tour guide, while Quibble and Rainbow stayed where they were, admiring the sunset.

Quibble started talking about how the scenery in the Daring Do books should be showed more, but Dash wasn't listening. She was having a mental battle with herself.

This is your chance to tell him! You can do that, ya know.

There's nothing to tell!

Don't pretend you don't have the hots for him, you have since last year.

No, I don't!

You totally do. Remember when you got all soft in front of him when-

I try not to think of that time.

Come on, Dash! Just tell him how you feel anyways! It's different from how you feel from your other friends and you know that.

Well...

"Come on, everyone! Let's head back!" The tour guide interrupted her thoughts.

Quibble got up. "Well, let's head ba-"

Instinct kicked in and she put her hoof on his shoulder. "Quibble-!"

He turned to face her. "Um... yeah?"

"Uh.. I..." Her face started to heat up. What was going on with herself?! "Um.. I think I.. uh... am-"

"Come on, you two! Let's go!" The tour guide shouted from a distance, and Quibble started to follow the other ponies. "Come on, you can tell me later!"

Rainbow sighed. The struggle is real here. And with that final thought, she followed her still-a-friend-friend into the jungle.

Walking back, still not listening to the tour guide, Rainbow Dash lowered her head and let out an exhausted and disappointed sigh. At herself. I. Hate. Love.

That little voice again. See? You just admitted to being in love with Qu-

No..

Yes. You just said-

I know what I said, just-

Quibble turned to face her and said, "Um.. were you going to tell me something?"

Dash's face quickly heated. "Oh.. it.. it was nothing."

"Are you sure? It seemed kinda important-"

"Quibble! Um.. do you know.." Dash scanned the area, saw a bird, and snapped her hoof at it. "..that! What's that bird?"

Quibble, who clearly knew what Dash was doing, rolled his eyes and shrugged. He wasn't going to get into another fight, and whatever she had to tell him, it obviously didn't matter anymore. Obviously... "Oh. That's a Casuarius casuarius. It's a flightless bird, that's why it's on the ground."

"Huh. Kay."

Quibble looked up and saw that the sky was growing darker and darker, revealing stars scattered across the sky. "Do you ever fly at night?"

This surprised Dash. "Huh?"

"I mean, d-do you, like, go out and fly at nighttime? In the dark?"

"Oh! Yeah, sometimes. It's pretty cool." Dash said, not really looked at Quibble.

"I'd love to do that.."

Dash's eyes widened and she turned to look at him. "Wait... what? Why?"

"I-I dunno... i-it just seemed cool not to have limits to the ground, and be able to fly around however and whenever you want. I've always really wanted that freedom.." he snapped back to reality and looked down. "But, it is what it is, I guess. We can't have anything we want."

No.. we certainly can't..

He turned to look at Dash. "Huh?"

Crap! Did I say that out loud? "O-oh! Just.. talking to myself."

On the way back, Dash reflected. When her friend was talking, his eyes sort of... lit up. Like he was really into his idea. It was kinda the same thing as when he was talking about Daring Do, but this time it was... special. Her stomach fluttered just thinking about it.

"Hey, we're back!" Her thoughts vanished as she looked up and saw that they were back at the convention. She looked over at Quibble, who said, "Why don't we go inside and get some food?"

"Heh. Sure." Gosh, what an interesting day I had.

You so have the hots for him-

WHY IS THIS DANG VOICE STILL HERE?!

Author's Note:

Ahhhh shipshipsHIP AHH :pinkiehappy:
eR SO CEEUTE!
sorry sorry.
It's just.. no one writes fanfiction that's not.. fetish fics or clop! I decided to change that. :trixieshiftright:
This is on my deviantart as well!

Comments ( 3 )

All righty so where to start where to start, where to start? I suppose I'll do the positives first. Firstly I really enjoyed the passing of the story. It never dragged on though I feel it could have gone slower or been longer but it is what it is and for what it is, it is well done. Second off even with this short of a story you still managed to capture some Chem-Is-Try with Quibble and Rainbow Dash not an easy fete good job. I also loved seeing Rainbow Dash's internal monologue, and seeing her unable to confess was definitely an interesting choice given the genre, satisfying but leaving me wanting more. The humor was totally me. Both of them were in character.

Negatives. I was to short or to fast I'm not sure which it was though probably the former if you had made it a bit longer while keeping the pacing it could have been better. Formatting is a little weird but not bad just ehh. there was also a spelling mistake here

Oh! Yeah, sometimes. It's pretty cool." Dash said, not really looked at Quibble.

looked should be looking.

Short but good.

8107881 thank you for the advice! :twilightsmile:

I agree with Muffin, it was alright but didn't feel like a whole story, just one small scene from a longer fic. I would love to see more Quibbledash action.

Login or register to comment