• Published 10th Apr 2017
  • 5,777 Views, 67 Comments

Fluttershy vs. Vacuum Cleaner - Lise



Cleaning has never been a problem for Fluttershy. Until she saw how humans do it.

  • ...
8
 67
 5,777

Err...

Umm. Fluttershy looked at the cleaning contraption in front of her. What should I do?

It was her own fault for ending up in this situation. The girls had asked her to join them in exploring the city, yet scared by the noise, the people, and the roaring carriages, Fluttershy had chosen to remain in her room. That had turned out well until the hotel door had opened and a woman had entered, catching Fluttershy completely by surprise. The woman—a youngish and incredibly tall human—had apologized for the intrusion and asked Fluttershy when would be a good time for her to clean the room. The question was simple enough, yet the pegasus had panicked, pushing the maid into the corridor with a squeak, saying she'd rather clean it herself. Now Fluttershy was alone with a giant metal device and no one to turn to.

Will they notice if I don't use it? she wondered. A pile of crumbs on the carpet quickly gave her an answer. Had they been on the wooden floor, Fluttershy could have used a broom or even her wings to clean them up without resorting to the human contraption. Technically, it was still possible to drag a piece of furniture over the pile, making it disappear...

No! The pony stomped her hoof. My parents raised me better than this! I promised the nice lady I'd clean my room and I will!

Taking a deep breath, Fluttershy took five bold steps forward. The vacuum cleaner loomed above her, as terrifying as a statue on Nightmare Night. There's nothing to be scared of. Fluttershy held her breath. Her hoof slowly moved up until it touched the side of the vacuum cleaner. Nothing happened.

"Thank goodness." Fluttershy let out a sigh of relief. Her ears perked up. So far, everything was under control. Finding a new boost of courage, she tapped the vacuum on the side. No change. "Umm." The pony moved closer. This wasn't right. From what the woman had managed to say while being pushed out, Fluttershy only needed to "turn it on" for the device to start. "Umm." The pony leaned on it. "Please clean?" Nothing happened.

Panicking, Fluttershy circled the vacuum cleaner, poking and tapping every side of it. Yet, as much as she tried, it refused to cooperate, remaining lifeless in the middle of the room.

"Oh." The pony covered her face with her wings.

This wasn't good at all! Cleaning was supposed to be something at which Fluttershy excelled at. Now she couldn't even clean a small pile of crumbs. Her fear gone, the pony doubled her efforts. Wings and hooves rattled all over the vacuum in a desperate attempt to get it running. In a few minutes she managed to detach the plastic hose, disassemble the metal pole in three parts, turn a few knobs left and right, and click several large buttons, all to no avail.

"No!" Fluttershy jumped into the air, glaring at the vacuum cleaner. "You listen to me, mister! I won't let you just sit there while there's a mess to be cleaned. So, you better behave and do what's right, because I'm not leaving this room unswept!"

As eager as Angel Bunny before breakfast, Fluttershy continued her poking. In a matter of minutes she found several new compartments, including one with a small paper booklet. Curious, she took the booklet out and put it on the table.

"Operating instructions?" Fluttershy read on the cover. That's it! Her ears flicked up. Eagerly, she turned the page. Ten minutes later, she wished she hadn't. The instructions, while legible, were so complicated and confusing that Fluttershy felt as if she was being lectured by Twilight. Every separate sentence seemed to make sense, yet put together she could barely understand a thing.

If the pictures were any indication, there was a cord she had to pull out of the device and tie it to the wall. Doesn't seem too difficult, she thought. I tie ropes to hang my laundry every week.

Muzzle against the base of the vacuum, Fluttershy moved around until she found the "electric" plug cleverly hidden in yet another compartment. Grabbing it with her mouth, she gently pulled. The cable barely budged.

Must be stuck, Fluttershy thought as she gave it a stronger tug. A slithering sound came from the bowels of the vacuum as it released a few inches worth of cord. Stop being stubborn! Fluttershy dug her hooves in the carpet. If it was a battle it wanted, that's what it was going to get! Eyes shut, she pulled with all her strength. The cord struggled, yet loosened enough for her get a full wing's length.

Victory! A satisfied smile appeared on her face. Fluttershy did not stop there. Tossing the cord around her, she pulled on. The vacuum cleaner put up some resistance, but there was no turning the tide. Each tug was more effortless than the last.

Yay! Fluttershy relaxed her stance, slight euphoria sweeping over her. Her head moved back pulling the cord effortlessly...until it suddenly countered her efforts.

Fluttershy felt her jaw was being yanked off. Her eyes popped open, brimming with tears, as she watched the frame of the vacuum cleaner tilt in her direction. For several instants, the pony watched helplessly as the vacuum cleaner balanced on its edge. Then, without mercy or hesitation, it started its fall.

"Eeek!" Fluttershy tried to flutter away, yet the cord she had so masterfully entangled herself in made her flop on the floor. "Help!" She squeaked as the towering device fell atop of her like a pancake on a berry, pinning her to the floor.

The more the pony struggled to break free, the worse things became. The cable had tightened round her legs and torso, keeping her from flying or even getting up, like a trapped kitten. Fluttershy had always been amused how tangled kittens behaved—always making things worse with their chaotic twitching, until she came to untangle them. Now she was the kitten and there didn't seem to be anyone nearby to help. Turning on her back, Fluttershy twisted her legs around until she managed to get a wing free. A leg soon followed. Two of her limbs unhindered, she pulled the cord off like a tight fitting dress, then rushed to the nearest corner.

Calm. Must remain calm, she thought, breathing heavily, eyes glued to the vacuum cleaner. The thought of giving up came to mind. The lady had offered to clean the room the first time, maybe she wouldn't be too upset if Fluttershy asked her to do it now. But then she'd have to explain why she had refused in the first place, and that might upset the woman.

Biting her lower lip, Fluttershy approached the vacuum cleaner once more. It lay lifeless on its side, cable piled all around. Grabbing what seemed like a handle on its top, the pony lifted it up, then used a hoof to push it upright. The fall had deprived it of its aura of fear, transforming it into a heavy annoyance. Fluttershy eyed it for a few moments, then went back to the instruction booklet.

The electric plug was taken, then carefully put into the wall socket. A faint click echoed. That done, all that remained was the actual process of cleaning. According to the booklet, Fluttershy was supposed to set the cleaning extension to "carpet" and adjust the strength to 60. Neither of these instructions made any sense whatsoever. Fluttershy nodded, hummed, blew a lock of hair off her face, then got to it. Re-attaching the hose to the vacuum cleaner, she found the large “ON” button and pressed it with her hoof.

A deafening roar filled the room. Fluttershy's wings and ears darted up. Quickly, she scampered back, only to feel a sharp tug from her tail.

"Nooo!" Fluttershy leapt in the air in an attempt to save her tail from being sucked by the monstrous hose. Her wings flapped as fast as they could, yet the vacuum cleaner would not give in, keeping her in the air like a frozen moment in time. Terrified to look back, Fluttershy turned in mid-air to the side. Her effort released her from the vacuum's clutches and straight smack into the liquor shelf.

"Awww!" Fluttershy winced. A second later panic kicked in. Her wings froze to her sides without warning. Desperate, Fluttershy grabbed for the nearest support she could. Her forehooves wrapped around an enormous champagne bottle—far too light to keep her on the shelf—which followed her onto the floor with a plop.

Sensing its prey, the vacuum struck again, sucking in her mane mercilessly.

"Why?" Fluttershy wept. "Why can't I do anything right in this worl—"

The hotel door swung open.

"Fluttershy, you won't believe—" Rainbow Dash flew in, holding a packet of chips. At the sight of the room she stopped. Her eyes moved from the vacuum cleaner to Fluttershy—lying on her back, holding a giant champagne bottle with all four legs. Rainbow's feathers puffed up. "Oh." She swallowed, looking at her friend with a mixture of shock and admiration. "I, err..." A streak of red appeared on her cheeks. "Wild party, huh? I'll come back later." She put the chips on the floor, then dashed out without another word.

Fluttershy stared at the packet of chips for a full minute. Then she silently moved the champagne bottle off herself, stood up, turned towards the vacuum cleaner and slammed the “ON” button with her hoof. The roar died out, leaving the device silent and powerless.

"Thanks a lot!" Fluttershy grumbled. Now she had bigger problems than cleaning a messy room.

Comments ( 67 )

Haven't read this yet, but I'll go ahead and put ten bits on the vacuum cleaner. :fluttershbad: :trollestia:

The instructions, while legible, were so complicated and confusing that Fluttershy felt as if she was being lectured by Twilight.

:twilightangry2:: "What's that supposed to mean?!"

Good story.

I'm curious what "problems" Fluttershy will have next.
Maybe the microwave, TV or the radio?

That was an excellent Fluttershy story. Also it appears to be PiRL? Is there more of this? I must investigate further. :rainbowderp:

This is what it feels like prepping myself to vacuum sometimes...I used to have terrible migraines, and that sound did not help. Thankfully, I hear there are quieter ones now.

Oh poor Flutters. That was adorable.

Dammit, why you gotta make me laugh at Fluttershy and then wanna hug her?! Dammit, this was way too funny. Kinda plausible, too.

Cute story!

TGM

Poor flutters may never get a break from the complex technology of the human world.

D48

8087132 That picture is amazing. :rainbowlaugh:

Gotta admit, the implied FlutterDash shipping at the end of both of these just makes 'em even funnier.

This was great, can't wait for more.

Thought she was going to give the vacuum a sultry look when she was told she had to "turn it on."
"Oh, Mister Vacuum, I'd be just ever so grateful if you were to suck up that little pile of crumbs over there. Maybe I'd even... return the favor."

Haha, that was pretty funny. :rainbowlaugh: Very in-character.

8087342

... I'm not seeing whatever you're seeing.

8087540

So did I. Then I remembered who the author was. :derpytongue2:

8087956 For all I know, I may be seeing things that aren't there, but...

In both stories, Rainbow walks in, sees Flutters having issues with the item of focus, blushes, and walks out. Flutters then proceeds to get annoyed at said item of focus after Rainbow leaves because of whatever predicament Flutters got herself into. To me, that seems like some subtle shipping, but like I said, maybe I'm seeing things that aren't there. :applejackunsure:

8087967

Oh.
I interpreted that as embarrassment.

8087969 That very well may simply have been what it was, and I just interpreted it differently. I can be weird that way. :derpytongue2:

lol.. really Lise? really? xD...

8087101 What about a computer? Keyboards are too small for hooves xP

8088147
Yes, the hooves would be a problem.
But an even bigger problem would be what she might find in the internet:
(There are countless examples, but I'm setting with this one, since it was the first I found.)

(Important: Don't follow Fluttershy's example and look it up. Don't!)

I've never wanted to punch a vacuum before today.

I can see just the opposite happening if Twilight was left alone in the room, parts strewn across the floor and bed in highly organized arrays, possibly with flashcards indicating use or Twilight's own counting system. The hotel vacuum, TV, microwave, even the helpless clock victim to the voracious curiosity of the purple booksmart pony. Total technological carnage, metal and plastic bones all that remains from the intellectual feeding of Twilight's endless hunger.

Next... that car. (*whisper to the car* Flee! Flee you fool!)

Next up: Fluttershy vs Elevators.

lol loved it. and it could easily be a snippet in any good pony on earth story.

8088893 Or a long flight of stairs

8087101 What about the air conditioning? Seems like something Fluttershy, as a pegasus, must have some understanding about. Although the human approach completely baffles her. Shenanigans ensue.

Poor Fluttershy. Ponies and human technology really don't mesh well, do they?

Dan

8088893
8089227

I vote for Fluttershy trying coffee which turns her into Mean, Assertive Fluttershy and she gets angry at the room coffeemaker trying to work it.

Man, poor Fluttershy. And yet, can't stop laughing. (And how does she not know what a housekeeper or maid is? I mean, Equestria has them too...)

8087108 Yeah, but they suck.
8087540 You're not the only one who expected that. But then, we're all perverts here. :moustache:

nice

an interesting one to see would be rarity vs sewing machine

8090951 She has an actual sewing machine in the show. :raritywink:

The cable had tightened round her legs and torso, keeping her from flying or even getting up, like a trapped kitten. Fluttershy had always been amused how tangled kittens behaved—always making things worse with their chaotic twitching, until she came to untangle them.

gifbin.com/bin/102011/1320091377_vacuum_scares_kittens.gif
8088893 Or possibly Fluttershy vs Stereo (last used left at near full volume).

Dashie, bad filly, you have a dirty mind. (needs vacuuming?):derpytongue2:

8087097 Trick :) Vacuum cleaner for the win! :D

8087101 Apparently you've never been to oneof her more... academic lectures *yawn* :P

Andstill trying to figure out what appliance to use should there be mor stories.

8087106 :D There is the vs Shower. Othing more, for now :)

8087108 Yikes. :( Yes the noise can be annoying without headphones,

8087189 :D Thanks :) Its a strange world out there.

8087192 :D A new challenger has appeared :)

8087223 Thanks! :)

8087342
8087540
8087956
8090571

... I'm speechless!

8087711
8087823
8087996

I've no doubt RD would have reacted that way :D So cute :))

Login or register to comment