• Published 10th Apr 2017
  • 3,835 Views, 1,255 Comments

Princess Twilight Sparkle's School for Fantastic Foals: Winter Break - kudzuhaiku



School may be out, but the lessons continue for Sumac Apple.

  • ...
16
 1,255
 3,835

Chapter 5

The rice pudding at Sugarcube Corner was perhaps their most spectacular seasonal treat. It was an extraordinary dish, fit for royalty, and there was nothing else quite like it. Slow cooked rice pudding, with dried, dehydrated cherries for sweetness, crystallised ginger for a bit of zing, and a sprinkle of cayenne pepper for zowie. Sugar was sprinkled over the top and then burned with a torch, melting it and forming a thin, hard shell of caramelised goodness that had to be shattered with your spoon.

It was a meal in and of itself, something that Sumac knew that he could get full from.

Sugarcube Corner had been decorated for the holidays a little early this year and they had gone all out. Sumac found the atmosphere to be cheerful, festive even, and his darting, inquisitive eyes took in every detail while he thought about the conversation that took place during breakfast.

“Mom?”

“Yes?” Trixie’s response was absent minded because she was far too focused on her rice pudding.

Sumac kept his voice low, knowing that this was a sensitive subject. “About you being the way you are… Lemon said you had a crush on Tarnish. How does that work?”

In an eyeblink, Trixie’s face turned purple, Twinkleshine began to giggle, and reaching over with her foreleg, Lemon Hearts wiped away some dribbled rice pudding from Trixie’s fuzzy chin. Sumac found this to be no laughing matter, and he maintained his serious mien. When his mother began to splutter, one of his fuzzy little eyebrows arched, but being one shade of beige on another shade of beige, it was hard to see.

“That’s one of the things I wondered about myself,” Trixie said after she recovered a bit. “One of the things I asked Princess Cadance about in private.”

“And what did she say?” Sumac asked, still keeping his voice low.

“Well,” Trixie began, “she asked me a whole bunch of questions, like what I found attractive about Tarnish. Other than him being a pleasant chocolate colour, I really couldn’t think of anything that I found particularly appealing about him, or that made me excited, and his chocolate colour is just nice to look at it but it doesn’t cause any particular feelings.”

Sumac attacked his pudding with his spoon and discovered, much to his delight, an enormous chunk of cherry. He gobbled this down and kept his attention focused on his mother, all while ignoring the burning embarrassment that threatened to set his ears on fire. Lemon Hearts insisted that their little family could talk about anything, and Sumac was ready to hold Lemon to her word.

“The only thing that we could come up with after a long talk was that Tarnish made me feel safe and secure. Princess Cadance said that I could be a little grey-sexual, and that my states of arousal may depend upon my state of happiness and how secure I feel at any given moment.”

Lemon, who smiled at Sumac, said to the colt, “Being asexual covers a broad spectrum of conditions and emotions.”

“Tarnish rescued me and he asked for nothing in return. He didn’t demand anything of me, and he didn’t try to force himself on me. In the hot spring… he just… held me… and I cried… and it was awkward… but he made me feel safe… and that sort of… well… when I thought about it later, I uh…” Trixie, her face a delightful shade of purple-blue, sat there, blinking, staring down into her pudding.

“You had something of a crush,” Lemon Hearts finished. “His kindness warmed your heart.”

One of Trixie’s ears drooped a bit, then twitched when she made it stand up once more. “Yeah. Tarnish was good to me, just like you’re good to me. I have a lot of the same feelings for you and Twinkleshine as I had for him.”

“You see, Sumac, a little goodness goes a long, long way.” With a turn of her head, Lemon Hearts smiled at Trixie. “Gentleness, understanding, kindness, and compassion. These are the things that will make you a great pony, beloved by others. Never forget that, Sumac.”

Chewing on a rubbery bit of cherry, or maybe it was ginger, Sumac considered Lemon’s words. Being a good pony was a pressing concern for him, and with his current lack of mobility, he had spent a lot of time staring out of the window, pondering what it meant to be a good pony. Lemon Hearts had a lot of ideas on what made a good pony, and he took all of them with as much seriousness as his five-year-old mind could muster.

Perhaps the most important thing that Lemon had told him was that it was important to be good, but not from a fear of being punished. Rather, a sincere desire to do right should be his motivation. Still, being the tender age of five, Sumac spent a lot of time worrying about being punished, it was a pressing concern, and he had terrible dreams about it all the time.

Hanging from Twinkleshine’s horn, Boomer stole bites of rice pudding from Twinkleshine’s bowl with her long, sticky tongue.

The bell over the door rang and Sumac heard a familiar voice that made his ears perk. Almost right away, the voice stopped talking, going silent, and his ears continued to strain, trying to listen for words that were no longer there. He could feel eyes on him, and even though he couldn’t turn his head to look, he knew that if he could turn around, he would see a worried, concerned face.

“Sumac!”

The sound of hooves clopping over wooden floorboards filled Sugarcube Corner as Olive sprinted across the room. She had packed on a few pounds during her own recovery, as evidenced by the heavy thud of each hoof striking the floor. After a moment, she came into view, and Sumac was glad to see her. She was, of course, healed and whole of body, just like he was, but she hadn’t had her neck broken.

With great enthusiasm, she climbed up into the empty chair beside him, almost knocking it over, and then Sumac felt himself get pulled into a gentle, but almost crushing hug. Olive even remembered to support his neck. A curious warm sensation filled his barrel as he pressed against her coat, which was still cold from the outdoors.

After shaking snow from themselves, Olive’s parents, Sapphire Gin and Vermouth crossed the room to join their daughter. They drew near the table, slow, smiling, perhaps waiting for some invitation before getting too close. It was Lemon Hearts who waved them closer, and the two ponies pulled up chairs to join their daughter at the now crowded table.

“Sapphire, Vermouth, how are you both?” Twinkleshine asked as the two earth ponies made themselves comfortable. “Olive, you feeling better?”

Rubbing his neck while still holding Sumac, Olive replied, “The headaches are mostly gone.”

Saying nothing, Sapphire watched her daughter, her eyes warm, loving, and somewhat unfocused. Beside her, Vermouth glanced around the table, meeting the eyes of each pony in turn, and when he was done, his gaze also rested upon his daughter. There was a look of unmistakable pride on his face.

“I think we’re good,” Sapphire said in reply to Twinkleshine’s greeting. “We came for the rice pudding. It’s nice to be able to go out as a family… to be together.”

“Yes, it’s nice to still have what is precious to us.” Lemon Hearts gestured at the two foals right as Olive was letting Sumac go and helping him get comfortable in his own seat again. With her magic, Lemon Hearts steadied Sumac’s head and helped him to hold it up, but left him to bear some of the weight himself. “Here comes Mrs. Cake to take your order…”


Sumac Apple had a glop of rice pudding on his snoot and Olive did her best not to laugh. He seemed cheerful enough, though one had to be paying attention to notice that Sumac was cheerful. It wasn’t something that showed, though sometimes it did. He was kind of cute with a blob of pudding on his snoot, though she tried not to think too much about that.

With a pang of guilt, she thought of his fragility, how slight and small he was for his age. He had what her mother called a ‘runner’s frame’ and with time, Sumac would grow up to be long, lean, and lanky, which Olive thought was ideal. He was fragile though, so fragile, and she had seen that for herself when faced with Queen Chrysalis. While her own abuse had been severe, horrendous even, her pudgy, muscular body had endured it and was now recovering from it, with the help of magical healing.

Sumac however, still had a ways to go.

Olive was determined to make sure that he was never hurt again. It was funny how they were now fast friends. She was stunned at how easy it was to make friends once she had stopped being a bossy jerk. Starlight had shown her the way and together, the two of them were navigating the difficult road to recovery from having an unpleasant, unlikeable past.

How he was able to forgive her for hurting him, she would never know or understand.

Staring at Sumac, Olive became aware that her mother was looking right at her with a teasing look in her eye. Embarrassed, she stifled a giggle, where before, she might have exploded with rage. An awkward half-smile spread over her muzzle and she shared a secret, happy moment with her mother. Sapphire, her mother, she knew her secret, they had talked about it, discussed it, and Olive had bared her heart to her mom.

But not her dad, because that would be gross and embarrassing.

“There is going to be a Winter Moon Festival,” Vermouth said to his tablemates. “It’ll be the first official celebration of the festival in over a thousand years. We earth ponies still hold it as one of our most important nights though.”

“Why is that?” Sumac asked, and behind his dark glasses, his eyes were bright with curiousity.

“It marks the best time to make foals,” Vermouth replied in the most casual manner imaginable. The earth pony stallion was oblivious to the reactions of the mares and the foals around the table as he continued, “It is the most important night of the year for earth ponies, the longest, darkest night. Foals made on the night of the Winter Moon are born exactly eleven months later, right as winter is starting to set in again, when there isn’t much to do but gather together indoors and wait for spring. It’s right nice to have a cuddly little newborn around for the holidays.” His eyes darted over to his daughter, and the stallion grinned. “And somepony just had their birthday.”

Olive wanted to melt into a puddle beneath the table when she thought about her father’s words. Ew!

“When the moon is full and bright and full of magic,” Sapphire Gin began, “earth pony mares become receptive and fertile. There is the Summer’s Heat and the Winter’s Warmth.” Reaching out her hoof, she gave her daughter a good natured poke. “It is also a special time for mothers and daughters, as traditionally, during the long, boring, dark time of winter, a mother teaches her daughter about home and hearth right after her daughter experiences her first ever Winter’s Warmth.”

“Mom!” Olive’s green face somehow turned a ruddy-brown when she blushed.

“There isn’t much else to do during winter, but make more foals and pass on your skills to the foals you have.” Vermouth hunched over his pudding and gave his wife a flirtatious wink, which made Sapphire start giggling. “There’s a lot of earth ponies that are real, real happy to hear about the return of this festival.”

“Well,” Lemon gasped, fanning herself with her hoof. “You learn something new every day. Winter’s Warmth.” Her own sudden pinkish blush made her face turn somewhat orange.

“Mom?” Olive, her ears on fire, couldn’t look her mother in her eye.

“Yes?” Sapphire paused her eating to look at her daughter.

“That special time… that special time you mentioned, will you do that with me?” Olive asked, and she stared down at her own pudding, not wanting to think about all of the ponies around her.

“Well… of course… why wouldn’t I?” Sapphire responded.

Lifting her head, somehow Olive found the courage to look her mother in the eye. “I’m not an earth pony. This magic won’t work on me. I’m different from you. This will never happen for me.”

Sapphire recoiled as if she had been slapped, and her mouth dropped open from the startling realisation that her daughter had made. She was a big, powerful mare with a stocky, sturdy build, and lunging forward, she snatched her daughter up out of her chair. In seconds, she was crushing Olive in a massive bear-hug, and Olive’s eyes bulged in their sockets.

There was no escaping the savage maternal smothering that Olive was now forced to endure.

Author's Note:

Worldbuilding.