• Published 9th Jul 2012
  • 17,374 Views, 241 Comments

All I really need's a smile, smile, smile! - Lightening_Zing



Ever wondered why this pony want everypony to be happy? Maybe there is something more about her?

  • ...
23
 241
 17,374

Wake up, sleepyhead!

"Listen, you imbecile, we shouldn't move her! We don't know how badly she wounded her head and you don't want to see you stupid friend in the jail!" Charming Stories shouted angrily at Rainbow Dash. She stood low on her hooves, with horn aimed at opponent in argument, preparing herself for incoming rumble.

"Nopony insults my friends! Back it off or else...!" Rainbow Dash flew up, and cracked her front hooves menacingly. Before she could use them, she was brought to the ground by strong tug of her tail. Rainbow snorted at reason of her unexpected landing, Applejack.

"Cut it out ya'll! Fluttershy, what's wrong with her?" Applejack was only pony in room who kept her nerves calm under pressure, maybe except the unconscious pony in a bed, who didn't so much of choice in this matter. Spike was trying to help Twilight who seemed to suffer another emotional breakdown, when other unicorn in the room, Rarity, looked like she was about to faint or fight with strange unicorn. Fluttershy said something but nopony paid attention, especially Applejack and Rainbow Dash who were arguing. When Applejack seemed to stay calm, even if quite irritated, Rainbow Dash wasn't holding out her anger.
Chrysalis own anger wasn't fading too fast, as her fear was great fuel for that.
She had reasons to be afraid.
First and foremost her sister wasn't waking up, even after few hours passed. Chrysalis tried everything she could, but it was like noling was inside. It wasn't hard to imagine that Metamorphosis was braindead or her soul left her... even if the body was still alive.

Another problem was her mindlink with the camp - it was dead since she talked with commander after a short examination of her sister. She told them that Metamorphosis had minor accident and she is simply sleeping to heal off. He sounded like he bought it, but it was a few hours ago... Chrysalis knew orders she gave him if she won't be reachable.

First they will send a single scout to make out situation of the Queen, and reasons of her silence. Then, basing on observation of said scout, commander will have to send rescue squad or wait for a better situation to contact Queen. Of course, there was a third option, if risk was too high, commander was forced to abandon his Queen, and hope she will fend for herself...
But knowing Commander Shard's naivety and loyalty, it wasn't hard to imagine him sending everyling to save the Queen.

Chrysalis tried to find a reason for sudden death silence. There wasn't too much options. There could be some spell casted by Twilight which rendered Chrysalis mindlink useless. Chrysalis crossed it out by casting a simple unicorn spell, magic detection. It rendered the library free of any spells except maybe telekinesis Twilight used. That left another option open, her lings get captured or killed, but then she would heard something from them about this... Even if dying screams.

Chrysalis shuddered. Last signals of dying ling were terrible experience. Influx of various memories, a screeching scream, dying background signals of mind, and this long cheep, abruptly ended in a crackle.
She heard that too often in the last few weeks...

And that how she was left with the last option: Someling was messing with the link between the Queen and the camp. Skilled changeling in mindlink based spells was able to interrupt or alter communication between other lings and even more. They were called lurkers and stealing memories, mind breaking, snooping, or masking their mind-pattern was their game. They were able to do with minds and links connecting them whatever they want, so it shouldn't be surprising that most of such skilled lurkers were employed by the Crown and used to countermeasure those who used it for their own good or hurt lings.

Chrysalis was sure she took for the Invasion only six of them, solely for communication reasons and detecting former spies.

She knew that one of them, Clear Signal missed, or more probably died with two other lings during the Canterlot Invasion (she sent her to intercept Cadance and Twilight), another one was captured after the wedding fiasco, and served as a irregular source of information from Canterlot, another two died not long ago from wounds, and last two were currently unreachable but alive.

It left her with three lurkers, and one of them was currently in a prison in Canterlot. Other two were probably still loyal to her, or at least to their cause...

So it had to be one of agents sent to Equestria by her mother. Could they really hate her so much that they are willing to cause an extinction of their very own kind? Chrysalis was almost sure that was not a option, many of these lings left families behind. No ling, maybe except a monster would doom own family. That left her with possibility was that they would just try to eliminate her and then deal with Equestria. Executing their own Queen could be quite convincing that they weren't following her orders. Chrysalis for a minute wondered if it wouldn't be for the best, but then she noticed a small smile on face of her sister. Maybe she could somehow convince them... if she could wake up. She was the reason they turned against her, aren't she?

Chrysalis kicked herself internally. Rebellion of spies against her was her fault.
Twilight Sparkle obsession with research about changelings, which caused current state of Metamorphosis, was her fault.
Chrysalis tried to fought returning thought that maybe it would be better that she weren't been hatched.
Morhpie would be better Queen than her... if she only had a chance to become one. If she only wasn't always pushed away from it by her older sister. Chrysalis always said her that she will take care of everything, and Morhpie wouldn't have to worry about all this boring royal stuff. She always tried to protect her, and it made her worst friend, and then enemy.

Sudden silence jerked her to attention. Everypony was staring at Fluttershy who tried to back off despite a wall behind her.

"S-she have slightly damaged skull, b-but other..." Fluttershy took a painful breath. "But otherwise she's okay... ...just isn't waking up."

"Is she okay to took her to hospital?" Applejack kept her questions simple. She learned that it was often best way to deal with problems and panic, not fuss around them, keep it simple and focused. Fluttershy shot an apologetic glance at Chrysalis, which just shook her head objectionably.

"I-it seems so..." Chrysalis felt betrayed by only pony she respected. But how could she do otherwise? Fluttershy probably wanted the best for Morphie... Pinkie Pie too.

Applejack nodded and turned toward Charming Stories. "Is there anything you can do to wake her up?" She wasn't angry, it was matter-of-fact question.

Chrysalis just knew that lying under this stern gaze is bad idea. She just couldn't imagine what would happen if Applejack found out that she was lied to... And Chrysalis felt it was rather big chance she could sense her lies. The only safe way out was truth.

"There left only one thing to do... Pray. Give me a moment..." It wasn't quite a lie, it was rather a half-truth. Chrysalis wasn't a religious ling, hardships of her life destroyed any belief in god or force above her wanting her good. Of course, she still talked to the mother, but a changeling cult of ancestors wasn't a true religion.

Applejack seemed to understand this as a valid reason, even if her eyes showed doubt. She turned to the rest of the ponies and gestured them to leave. Rainbow Dash wasn't one to oblige without another argument.

"AJ, seriously, you trust her?! Girls, c'mon!" Rainbow Dash took a disgusted look at Rarity leading broken Twilight out.

"Ah don't have reason to not."

"But, but she can kidnap her or something!" RD flailed her forehooves into air while flowing up.

"Then why would she try to save her and protect Twilight? RD, trust me." Applejack words were nothing but rational and honest. Chrysalis didn't cared for Twilight at all and she liked idea that she would be imprisoned in Equestrian jail. Unfortunately, Twilight will be useful for her sister later plans... and she was her friend.

Applejack and Rainbow stared at each other for few moments. Chrysalis could sense how Rainbow's anger started to cool off in contact with Applejack certainty and calmness. RD landed on the ground and flared her nostrils one more time.

"Allright, AJ, you won. I just hope you know what are you doing. I just don't like this madness." She trotted toward the door.

"Ah don't like this at all too, sugarcube... Fluttershy, are ya comin'?" Orange pony stopped before leaving, turning her head to pegasi who tried to hide in her own mane.

Chrysalis turned toward Fluttershy and mouthed "Go away you idiot". Fluttershy winced like a beaten dog, and walked away with her head low.

"I'm sorry..." she whispered with her quiet voice.

Chrysalis just turned away her eyes from traitor, and sat before the bed. She heard loud click of a latch inside door. She was left alone.

Alone.

Thousands of thoughts run through her head.
Alone - she could take Morphie with her and run away.
Alone - she wouldn't make more than hundred meters with her on back.
Alone - is she even still here? In her head?
Alone - is there anyling alive anymore?
Alone - noling on other end of the mindlink. This silence was eerily.
Alone - no help would come.
Alone - she even lost an ally in Fluttershy.
Alone - why she even cared for others? Alone at the throne as they say.
Alone - maybe she should just...

No, she wasn't alone, sudden thought attacked her. She was feeling so alone because someling make her feel like that. No, not that Lurker, she realized in sudden clarity, that was her self-loathing and sadness. For a moment her treacherous parts of mind tried to use it for more self-loathing, but something in Chrysalis mind made her realize it would be a vicious cycle. She had no time for such nonsense. She should realize this earlier. There were still lings out here who needed to be saved. There was still Morhpie... Chrysalis was sure of it somehow.

She knew she should focus at things at hoof now.

Lurker who separated her from her subjects was probably also listening to any attempts of communications. Of course, there was a option that he or she somehow just blocked links without trying to gather any information, but Chrysalis knew she had to try. She started to open her link again, but she decided to went with full power, without any masking, on any possible channel that could exist.

"I don't know who you are. I tried to deduce it, and I came to three possible options.
First, you could be one from my army who rebelled against me. If it's truth, then only thing I'm going to ask you for is: Do not doom our kind.
Do not seek a vengeance for all cost.
If your leaders have plan which considers following a path of peace and it have any chance of success - I'm ready to began my abdication if it's what are you looking for.
Second, you could be one of agents installed by my mother in Equestria. You betrayed... no, you stopped following me when I wrongfully banished my sister. You were allowed to do so by orders of my Mother if I guess correctly. Banishment of Queen Metamorphosis was... wrong."
Chrysalis paused. Thinking about something was one thing. Talking, or streaming it was different thing.
"My fear that Equestria will be another enemy, lack of faith in my sister, my stupidity caused her exile, and therefore the Invasion.
Invasion which probably destroyed anything that you could achieve, any long term plan of yours, maybe even tear apart families. I...
For all it's worth, I apologize. My only intent was saving my subjects.
My only result is dooming them.
I'm not good Queen of the Swarm. Fortunately, I'm not the only one who can fulfil this position. Queen Metamorphosis is alive and informed of current situation. I contacted her in person. She... She will be restored to her old position. If she allows, she will be sole Queen of Swarm. I think you will found it favourable. But...
But there was a small accident during her quest in finding some short-time salvation for still-my subjects which ended with her in coma-like state. I can't sense her in her body. I can't even found any trace of her mind. Her body is breathing, but... she's not waking up. I'm... I'm afraid. I don't want to lose her. Not like this... not after...
Excuse my slip. I need help. Survivors of the Invasion need help. I'm not looking for fight with Equestria, I mean harm no longer.
I'm not even able to.
Now, I'm asking only to abolish this ban on link with my lings and... help my sister, please...
I...
There's a third option. You can work for Celestia or Luna. If you are going to bring justice on my head... do it. I know ponies of Equestria demands it. I wouldn't be surprised if your own heart wants it. I have to beg, just send them my wishes for peace. There is nothing more I could be asking for."

Chrysalis listened into silence, awaiting for any signal, any voice.
If she could only heard what was happening in this silence...

--

"Surveillance."

"Authorization."

"...do we have to go through this? You have my mind signature."

"Authorization."

"T14, 7UN4-N0T-NNM"

"Affirmative, link clear and loud, come in."

"I have an unexpected situation development. Open your link more, I'll sent package."

"Wilco, send you traffic..."

"Awaiting confirmation."

"Solid copy. I... Can you confirm this bit about Queen Metamorhposis."

"That's what she said."

"Heh. It's not time for joking. We need to keep focused."

"You chuckled, and really, we are not military. Anyway, I can't locate Queen Metamorphosis. Instead I'm tracking few lings from Chrysalis army. They seem to be part of a bigger group. We have to scratch off mission."

"Why?"

"First, there are her lings nearby, and with them it can go ugly. We don't want any casualties, right?"

"But they don't know what's going on with her."

"Exactly, so they will scout Ponyville, and try to find her. There are few commanders in her army who would consider "burning down Ponyville" a valid solution for getting their Queen to safety, and you know who lives in Ponyville."

"Elements Of Harmony."

"I won't put them on the line of fire. Our cause it's not worth destruction of the world."

"I still believe Princess Celestia have back-up plans for everything. Our agents in Canterlot seemed to confirm that."

"If you say so, anyway..."

"Understood. I'll call off the mission. Still, I need you to get any information which could confirm your findings."

"I need an authorization for a snoop."

"You can do anything you can. We need as much information is possible about Queen Metamorphosis."

"Allright, I'm going in. Synthesis, out."

--

Chrysalis still heard silence, but she felt it changed somehow. She tried to reestablish connection with her subjects, but then...

Her senses blacked out. Only because her attacker take control over her body, she didn't gasped or yelled.
Chrysalis wasn't trained in countermeasures for such things, she always had ling for this. She was on absolute mercy of her attacker.

She quickly realized that her aggressor didn't seemed to try to kill her, or destroy her mind. At once she understood what was target of his attack.
He wanted to access her memories.
Chrysalis started to think frantically what she should do, and realized any her action will be known by her tormentor. She only could wait helplessly in silence and darkness of her mind... Could she?

She knew there were few memories she should protect at all cost such as Metamorphosis disguise in Ponyville. She was... a white pegasus with blond mane! Yeah, Surprise! She used this even back in the Swarm, when she played with her sister.

Chrysalis felt her mind separating in two streams of consciousness, one focused on making as much false information was possible about Pin... Suprise! ... when second was trying to make out any way to throw out her invader.

She couldn't cut off her link. She couldn't use her magic to shield herself. She was never trained to protect herself from Lurkers....
"I cannot hide, I cannot run, I cannot fight..." She listed her options.
Sudden memory of P... Suprise occurred to Chrysalis. Her motor mouth, which made almost everyone puzzled about inner workings of her mind. Chrysalis would smile if she could, if her ability to move any muscle weren't taken from her. She had an idea.

--

"Rorr'rt!"

"..."

"I know you are here, stop playing games!"

"What's going on, Synthesis?"

"I need mind bleach, is there something like that?!"

"What happened?"

"This crazy mare... She showed me... No, you really don't want to know."

"Oooo-h... You are tempting me to snoop you."

"No, really... Did you know that... nevermind. I got some information."

"Awww... I was hoping you will say something more. Go ahead."

"This part about Queen Metamorphosis is true and she's alive. Chrysalis really contacted her, and it seems that Queen Metamorphosis forgave her and is currently working together with Chrysalis to save our kind."

"Is she stupid?!"

"Naive maybe. Stupid - not. Otherwise Chrysalis seems to really care about her, but... we know Chrysalis, it could be just another trick. Anyway, I couldn't work out Queen Metamorphosis true disguise. Chrysalis memories are true... But she muddled it with other memories. I could only get that Queen Metamorphosis is not a white pegasi with blond mane named Surprise, a supposed Cutie Mark shape, and a possibly first name of her pony form. It is P. Oh, and she have tendency to speak very fast and very excited."

"Did we had anyling in Ponyville?"

"Yes, librarian, but she moved to Trottingham over two years ago. Celestia indirect actions."

"Hell... I'll contact First. We have to change our plans."

"What's my orders?"

"Observe them, and keep me informed."

"Comm-ban?"

"Abort it."

"Allright, I'm out."

--

Chrysalis shook her head. With that simple gesture she was almost sure Lurker left her head. And then she felt tingling of someling trying to reach her. It was Commander.

"Queen Chrysalis, are you okay?"

"I'm fine."

"We suppose some Lurker disrupted our links..."

"I know it, Commander. Anything more?"

"Yes, lings are asking about Queen Metamorphosis."

"I can't provide more information about her. Situation is under development."

"Should I prepare Hit and Rescue squad, my Queen?"

"Put them in standby, but I believe it won't be necessary."

"Understood. It's only suggestion, but lings are worried. It could be wise to enlighten them about situation later."

"Noted, Commander."

"Commander Shard, out."

She was surprised that Shard didn't mobilized any soldiers earlier. She even wanted to call out him and ask about it, but then she heard a single knock at the door. She turned towards entering Applejack.

"Have ya finished?"

Chrysalis nodded.

"Don't feel bad about it. Prayers don't work too often."

Applejack sat next to Charming Stories. Both ponies sat in the silence, stared into the unconscious unicorn.

"It's just stupid." Chrysalis broke the silence.

"She's not dead, ya know."

"But it's still stupid. She went in, panicked and knocked herself out."

"Huh. Twilight can be mighty scary when she have her episodes."

"I guess this happens often ."

"Not really. Once or twice."

"How she is holding up?"

Painful sigh was Applejack's answer, and for Chrysalis it was more explanatory than any words.

"Darn. We could use Pinkie around... Ah sent Rainbow to look out for her."

"Who is she?" Chrysalis asked innocently, and she was honestly curious how Pinkie's friends saw her.

"Ah tell ya, she's craziest mare ah have met. Not that she's some screw loose. Nah, she's plain crazy. We, in Ponyville, say about her she's "Just Pinkie"."

"Then why you want her here?"

"Because sometimes you need corkscrew, not regular old pony like me. She may be ... Pinkie, but she knows how to put pony from dumps." Applejack chuckled. Chrysalis only humphed and arched her eyebrow.

"If she would be around she would throw welcoming party for both of ya. Shucks... Ah just realized we didn't trade our names. My name is Applejack."

Applejack draw her hoof.

"Charming Stories."

Chrysalis just bumped extended hoof. She felt small spark between her and Applejack. It wasn't friendship, not yet, it was more like promise...

"So, Charming, would ya help girls and me?" Applejack asked, standing up.

"Yes, I'm already invested in this..." Chrysalis followed apparently pony-in-charge.

"Great to hear that. Could ya make a stretcher from this bedsheet? I'll go organize girls..." Applejack left her and Chrysalis could hear a muffled conservation. She tried to eavesdrop, but it was too quiet to make anything out of it. With nothing more to do she focused on task at hoof. If she could bind corners of the sheet with something than she could make a hammock carriable by two ponies, one at the front and second on the end. It will be troubling to carry it downstairs, but it's some solution... she got to work without further ado.

--

"She is not breathing. I killed her. She's not breathing. What will Princess Celestia do? She'll banish me. Or execute me. Or execute me and banish my body. Or..." Twilight monotone, emotionless ramblings quickly started to annoy her former nemesis.

"Shut up."

"Or she'll banish me, a then execute me..." Twilight mind seemed to be blocked in stable loops of unresponsive insanity. She claimed that she killed a pony, said pony is not breathing, and reflections how Princess Celestia is going to punish her. It seemed that everypony gave up at trying to reason with Twilight, and at the moment when Chrysalis came down, only Spike was actually doing something to pull out her from stupor.

"Careful, sugarcube, keep it steady." Chrysalis heard Applejack from stairs. Applejack and Fluttershy were carefully carrying down wounded pony. Fluttershy was flying at front of stretcher to keep it levelled. Chrysalis wondered if it wouldn't be better to wait for Rainbow Dash, as two pegasi could make it much easier than earth pony and pegasus.

Chrysalis heard sob, and when she turned toward source of sound, she saw that even Spike gave up. Rarity comforted him with kind words and tight hug. Chrysalis felt Love from these two...

"She's not breathing. Where are you carrying her?" Even if it was a question, Twilight voice was monotonous and uninterested. It was probably her way of noticing that Applejack and Fluttershy were already in main room of library. Chrysalis decided to take a better look at hated unicorn.
Bloodshot eyes, dishevelled mane, unkempt coat were quite obvious evidence that Twilight hadn't slept well or at all in last few days.

"Why she's like that? Why she ignores us? I'm useless..."

"Spike, dear, I don't want to hear such words from you ever again. You are wonderful dragon, and a great friend. Twilight is just... not herself as you see. Excuse me for a moment, as Applejack and Fluttershy will need my help." Rarity broke hug and trotted toward door. She stopped in her tracks, she seemed worried about something. "I hate to ask you for this, but unfortunately I have to... Could you look out for Twilight and... you new friend?"

This word hit Chrysalis. She didn't want to be a friend with anypony or anydragon. But...
Morphie would like it, didn't she? It was she was about. Make some friends.
She's not dead!

"She's not breathing. Death from suffocation happens after..." Chrysalis shoot a look at Twilight. She found some book on biology and was now reading it aloud. In any other circumstances, seeing hated unicorn in such broken state would cause a joy in heart of Changeling Queen. But now she hated Twilight for her egoistic delusions. She bordered herself with self-told lies and was only focusing on her fate, forgetting about her friends and hurt she caused.
She took a look at Twilight friends. Did she even realized how much she hurt them? No, her mind was galloping in circle containing delusion, fear, self-hate... but friends were not included in her thinking.
Chrysalis blood boiled in anger. She hated Twilight. She should enjoy that, and she had no reason to care about those ponies.
But... she saw Spike, and he aroused her compassion. He was just a kid who couldn't help, who couldn't fully understand what's happening. On other hoof, he knew what to do with wounded pony, which was quite surprising for Chrysalis.

Chrysalis wasn't sure what was real cause what made her do what she did. Anger? Compassion? She grabbed Twilight in telekinesis, and lifted toward supposed Morphie and her shocked friends. Twilight didn't even react, and everypony freeze uncertain how to react. Chrysalis made Twilight head touch chest of unconscious pony.

"Listen! What you hear!?" Chrysalis shouted. Carriers trotted in place unsure what they should do.

"She's not breathing." Twilight answered without hint of emotion in her voice. Chrysalis hit Twilight head in chest of her victim.

"LISTEN!" Rarity horn bristled with magic, Chrysalis was sure she will be hit in few seconds by something... She started to regret her decision.

"She's..." Applejack flared nostrils, preparing herself mentally to attack strange unicorn. Chrysalis noticed that small glow of unicorn magic enveloped Applejack's grip of stretcher. Chrysalis wondered how they could communicate that fast without mind-linking...

And then everyone in the room could hear a groan escaping mouth of wounded pony with small frown forming on her face.
"...few more minutes..." she said in quiet voice.

Everyone stared with wide eyes. Chrysalis, surpassing initial shock, tried to establish connection with her, or at least to sense if it was really her sister. Her spirits were already high when it seemed connection was picked up.

"Chryssie... wake me later, 'kay?...". When Chrysalis heard that, and sensed it come from pony next to her, she almost screamed from joy. Small yawn escaped her sister's mouth.

"She's breathing..." Twilight voice was shaking, as her belief she killed somepony. Everyone seemed to still be dumbfounded by a scene playing in front of their eyes.

"She's alive!" And with these words Twilight's blindness and stupor vanished. Chrysalis dropped Twilight, shocked from unexpected joyful scream of Twilight. She even backed up a few steps. And then for Chrysalis everything exploded.

When Chrysalis found herself few minutes later, she was hugged by Fluttershy and Spike, and dazed by sudden influx of positive emotions toward her. Twilight was talking with Applejack. She looked quite ashamed, when earth pony seemed to be relieved and scornful at the same time. Rarity was helping Morphie with getting up who still seemed to be sleepy, but yet in character.

Nopony noticed Rainbow Dash sitting in the window. She smiled.
"Have I missed anything?"

Author's Note:

I need proofreader... Argh, somepony, pleaaase?

And 116/5? Guys, really? IMHO it's too good rating for this.