• Published 9th Jul 2012
  • 17,362 Views, 241 Comments

All I really need's a smile, smile, smile! - Lightening_Zing



Ever wondered why this pony want everypony to be happy? Maybe there is something more about her?

  • ...
23
 241
 17,362

Host(ility)

Voices. So many voices that it wasn't possible to distinguish one individual voice. There was so much of them it wasn't even possible to say that they were voices at all. It was more like ocean. Quiet, almost dead, murmur of the ocean of voices was something interrupted by roar of waves of screams and cries.

But even if voices were indistinguishable from each other there was few words repeated so often. But they were less words and more grunts of stranded animals.

"...hungry..."
"...weak..."
"...hopeless..."
"...struggle..."
"...cold..."

Sometimes it was possible to hear melodic prayers rising above sound of ocean.

"...ancestors, let her join and live beetwen you, as her mortal self dies..."
"...Queens and Mothers, I hope you'll find me worthy..."
"...Mother, Father, we will be seeing soon..."

And in roars of occasional billow, roars and cries of dying, fighting, and hurt could be heard.
"Take some more!"
"Don't leave me..."
"For Swarm! For Queen!"
"...is that it? Is it end?... I'm feeling fine... too fine... my legs... MY LEGS!!!"

Pinkie/Metamorphosis was afraid to open her eyes. She remembered something bad happened to her in Twilight's Library. She wasn't sure what Twilight was going to do to her. Maybe her disguise fell? Maybe now Twilight is mad sciencing her body to discover changeling secrets? Or maybe she is slowly dying...
But then Metamorphosis recalled something from book she read - when you are dying, or you are in bad shape, your brain creates pleasant dreams... and it wasn't pleasant at all. And she felt it wasn't dream either. It was somehow too real.
She decided to slowly open her eyes. She saw blackness beneath her, like she was levitating above it. And then she saw trulyand her eyes shot wide open.

That were changelings. Thousands of them. Hundred thousands. And she saw them true. She wasn't seeing their shells, their masks. Her vision wasn't obstructed by unreliability of her senses. She saw them as they saw themselves. And it was frightening.

She wasn't only seeing them. It was more like becoming them. When she started to hear someling thoughts, fully understanding why he or she thought that way, gaining their memories, experiences, hearing what they hear, seeing what they see, feeling their body... She was starting to lose feeling of herself. It was sucking her self-awarness more and more. It was like sea whirl. It was like abyss. Was she Metamorphosis, or someling else? And who was Metamorphosis, what it meant to be her?
She was someling else. She always was. But who?

///
Chair she was sitting on was surely created to torture with discomfort. Only way to be it hardly endurable was sitting on it was by method of Griffins, sitting on flank, letting her hind legs dangling in front of her and front lying on chair arms.

"What's your name, you moron? Or maybe you don't have any? Fucking drone..."

On opposite of small room was pegasus in uniform unknown to her, but it had Equestrian Guard symbols on chest. He was sitting behind desk in typical pony manner, and held pencil in his right wing. He was actually trying to kill her by power of his furious glance but fortunately it had no effect on her.

"Khatriii Bzzihoov"

"What was that? I can't write down you retarded clicks, hisses and buzzes!"

"Catherine Busyhoof"

"Yeah, right, I'll believe in bug with Griffin name... And show your gross eyes!"

He took pencil from his wing to his mouth, wrote down something on form in front of him, and the again he took pencil in his wing. It was surely frustrating to have repeat it every time.

"It's..."

"I wasn't asking about your opinion! Rank? Cannon fodder? And what I said about your eyes?! Show them!" He barked to her with contempt in his voice. There was something about this stallion what was making her hate him more and more, and it wasn't only his behaviour. 'Manners' he showed were absolutely excepted in talking with enemy.

"Corporal." She lifted her external eyelids.

"Like savages like you had ranks..." He looked into her eyes and muttered "...disgusting... Breed?"

Maybe it was how he raised his nose after each insult? Or this how he squinted eyes, like he wanted to non verbally tell her 'Ha, I'm so sharp. How are you taking it, huh?!'.

"Gatherer."

"What was your orders during Invasion? Except buzzing around like bunch of handicapped bugs and trying to score a kill on unprotected ponies? Even that you fucked up..."

It was definitely how he was thinking about how ingenious he was, when he was basically a simpleton.

"My orders were to pacify any resistance that could emerge. We were only allowed to use non-lethal grade spells..."

"Another one with same story! I won't believe any longer in this shit! I want to hear truth about your orders... And maybe I'll go soft on you..."

She had this enough. Why she had to play this act, when she was unquestionably getting killed after it? It didn't made any sense. At least they could do their part quick enough, and do not attempt to perform such tomfoolery.

"Our task was to eliminate resistance with casualties as low it was possible. Dead ponies doesn't generate Love.... but maybe in your case it wouldn't made a difference." She decided to speed things up a bit.

"What did you say?!" Nostrils of military stallion flared angrily. He changed a bit his position, preparing himself to jump. Pencil slipped from his wing, he didn't even notice. It was obvious that interrogation was over.

"Maaare, did Chrysalis laid her hoof on you? No, even her can't create such miserable creature..."

"I'll rip you to pieces!"

Pegasus jumped, easily flying over desk and in one fluid motion tackling Catherine. She was thrown away from chair, and crashed hard on wooden floor. She heard crack behind her back. Probably her back shell was damaged a bit by impact, she concluded. It wasn't important now.

"Last words?" Asked pegasus, his eyes full of unrestrained hate.

"Shut up!"

And then storm of blows toward her face. She tried to protect her face, but his hits with front hooves were simply too strong. First hit connected her face, then another, and another... Her vision started to blur from pain. She tried to lift herself from him, but she couldn't turn around to get her hooves on the ground, and her wing were unresponsive. She attempted to charge spell, but another hit went straight into her eye, and her spell discharged without effect. She tried to hit him with her right front hoof, but he effortlessly blocked it, and then hit with another hoof. She heard loud crack, saw broken shell on her leg, orange blood dripping from cracks, and realized her leg shouldn't bend like that. And then pain hit her. This bastard broke her leg! Loud scream escaped her lungs. He stopped his attacks for a moment, took few deep breaths. He raised his right front hoof to straight punch, final blow.

She saw determination in his face. 'That's how my life ends...' She realized and closed her eyes. She heard loud crash, she wondered for a second if it was sound of her face crushed under hooves of hostile pony, but then she heard new voice.
"Sergant Strikes!"

"Captain Armor, I... She attacked me!"

"Is that so? Dozen of beaten prisoners states otherwise!"
She opened her eyes and turned her head toward source of new voice. She saw strong, well built white stallion with blue mane. His cutie mark was representing shield with pink star inside. She knew who was this pony, and she was now sure she was dead. If there was anypony deserving to get revenge on changelings, it was him. His wife captured, and thrown to caves under Canterlot for few days. He himself, tricked and almost turned to "vegetable" by Chrysalis feeding upon him.
Panic and pain made her stare into him with wide eyes. Her mind, dulled by pain and engulfed by panic wasn't really processing what was happening around her.

"Sir! They are enemy, we shouldn't treat them as Celestia-damnded guests!"

"Would you let them starve?! What with your honour?"

"Sir, I would kill them! None of this monsters should live, when he..." answered angrily pegasus.

"Sergant, you are off duty, report to my office!"

"Captain, you are the one who should bring justice to this monsters! They kidnapped your wife! They brainwashed you!"

"Guards!" Called Shining Armor outside. Two armoured guard earth ponies walked inside and stand behind Shining Armor.

"Are you all mad? Brainwashed?! They are our enemy!"

"Guards, capture Sergeant Strikes and bring him to my office, he is currently under charge of insubordination." Shinning voice was calm, powerful. It was voice of somepony used to ordering, and seeing his orders carried out.

"No, we have to kill them! They are monsters!"

Strikes stand on his hind legs and striked with both front legs toward changeling head, hopping to stomp it. Hooves of rebelious guard were inches away when strong magic bolt from Shining Armor horn struck him, and made his attack missing her head.

Snap!

Khatrii realized, pain of broken leg was gone. She turned her head toward her damaged leg. She noticed how weirdly her leg was ending slightly before elbow. It was ridiculous! And then she saw rest of her leg lying not so far from her. Realization hadn't hit her yet. Her brain was still insisting that everything is alright with her missing part of leg, that she still had it.

Captain of guard was first to react.

"Somepony, fetch here a medic!"

Khatrii was fully focused on her leg, so she didn't pay attention to two earth pony guards beating military pegasus into submission, or Shining Armor calling medical aid. She lifted her right leg close to her eyes. It was impossible. She was feeling that her foreleg, hoof, everything under her elbow was here. But her eyes were telling her otherwise. She tried to bend her fetlock. Her brain was telling her she did it, and she saw how her disconnected muscles under her ripped shell flexed. She knew the truth, but she wasn't accepting it yet. She couldn't lost her foreleg. It was impossible. But when she saw her orange blood slowly dripping from her detached foreleg, she couldn't longer deny it. She started to scream, and it wasn't scream of pain. It was scream of fear and disbelief. When she was no longer able to scream she started to sob.

"Calm down, help is coming." She ignored it, she was staring at her leg, as it could change something.

Minute later someone else entered room. Somepony obscured her foreleg. She lifted her head. Before her stand male unicorn. He had small iron ring on his horn, and his mane was cut really short, like he was shaved to bald skin few days ago. His cutie mark was picture of syringe and red cross behind it. He grabbed her detached foreleg in his magic and started to examine it.

"We'll see what we can do about it... Nurse Honeycomb, please, make her sleep at ease."

And then in Khatrii's vision entered another female changeling. She was Gatherer. She had her "mane" cut like unicorn did. She had iron ring on her horn too. Even more, her wings were forced to stay closed by iron chain around her waist. But she was looking healthier than anyling Khatrii saw in few last years. Her shell was snowy grey, with details, like backshell or wings on her back almost white. Her holes were small, placed along her forelegs creating pattern of dotted line. On top of her head was nurse cap. She turned her head toward crippled changeling. Nurse horn glowed up and then she put it down on Khatrii's head. Khatrii suddenly started to feel... relaxed and sleepy.

"Which one bastard did it to her?!" Was last words she heard, muttered angrily by other female changeling.

--

Khatrii waked up. She instantly raised her front right leg in front of her eyes, to confirm her worst fears.
She was absolutely shocked when in front of her eyes her leg appeared like it wasn't crippled before. She was dumbfounded. It shouldn't be there. She tried to bend her fetlock, and quickly was assured it was bad idea by pain what shout through her almost whole right side, and in react she shrieked. Only after it she noticed she had place of her former wound bandaged.

She heard rapid knocks of hooves against wooden floor. She turned her head toward source of sound... And she saw white sheet in front of her, hang on steel frame by small rings. She turned her head right, she saw same structure what was in front of her. She turned her head left, again, same white sheet. But there was also small wooden table, and on top of it was standing small bottle with simple label around it neck. She wasn't trained in reading Equestrian alphabet, so she couldn't decipher what was written on label. Then, under bottle was lying paper note, written in Changeling writing system.

"Love potion. Drink it up. Nurse Honeycomb."

Then she noticed she was actually lying in simple pony bed, than rather on floor. There were even bedclothes.
What the...?
It's not the way how prisoners are supposed to be treated.

"Corporal Bziihoov?" White sheet in front of her moved, and revealed same snowy grey changeling who put her to sleep.

Khatrii decided to not answer. She wasn't sure how she should behave. Was she allowed to talk on of her kind, not part of invasion army? Maybe this female ling was traitor? Maybe she was spying for the enemy?

"Corporal Khatrii Bziihoov?"

And then she noticed again iron ring on her horn, and chains around her wings. She was probably in same situation as she was. She wasn't sure what kind of situation it was but this other ling was in it too. But she wasn't quite sure, she had to play it safe.

"Yes, it's me..."

"Well, I was kind of suspecting it. Usually we don't deal with legs ripped off by some..." She swallowed down a curse. "Anyway! Doctor Killer connected your foreleg again, but we are not sure if it will fully heal. He did everything what was possible, but you overall condition isn't giving a good prognosis... but at worst you won't be looking as cripple."

"Killer?"

"Doctor Killer. Pain Killer. He was trying to be cool, so he changed his name when he was eighteen, but he didn't quite grasped that 'Doctor Killer' will scare most of patients..." she laughed a bit.

"What they are going to do to us?"

"Basically we are now prisoners of war. It means they are not longer allowed to hurt us, and had to provide food, aid, and shelter for us. In exchange, we are not longer fighting and cooperate in camp works. Think about is as jail for soldiers. Then they are going to give us trial."

"It makes no sense..."

"Ponies are different. And hopefully Sergeant Dick will be sent to martial court. This son of... beaten at least ten lings before! But he never went so far before, so we couldn't prove he hurt prisoners. He always stated that they were in this shape before they came here... And every Celesta-damned guard was sticking to his version. But most of personnel was changed, and Shining Armor was sent to personally carry out of inspection."

"Celestia-damned? Are you on pony side?"

"It depends on how are you seeing it. I was sent here by Queen Imago almost twenty years ago. How old are you?"

"Twenty four."

"So you don't remember old Queen Imago... right? We were installed here to gain information about Equestria and to, possibly, conduct further actions.They weren't stated but Queen in her speeches for us ordered us to keep low profile and blend into pony society. She had some long term strategy in mind... But then she died, and Queen Chrysalis exiled her sister, who was wishing for making peace beetwen Swarm and Equestria, and maybe Zebras..."

"Queen Metamorphosis was traitor!"

"I heard from group what was captured two days ago, that Queen Chrysalis has contacted Queen Metamorphosis, and considered her innocent... How it look for you? Because for me it looks like from cheap novel. Anyway, Queen Metamorphosis will be joining in ruling over Swarm."

"But..."

"Anyway, I was following original orders by Queen Imago, and Chrysalis broke her promise toward her mother. I'm not considering myself a traitor. And I consider Equestria as my second homeland."

"Then... why are you there?" Khatrii waved with her light foreleg, meaning this prison.

"Because after Invasion every changeling is considered to be a enemy to Equestria, or at least accused of espionage. Big thanks, Chrysalis!" Angry frown appeared on face of white ling.

"And why is this Doctor Killer here?"

"Accused of pro-changeling sympathies. Being married to one for almost ten years and knowing this causes such suspicions."

"He knew?!"

"I told him few weeks before marriage."

"But... why? Why you told him? Why he didn't told the guards?"

Nurse ling smiled happily. "Some poet said, 'Love conquers all'. I was afraid he will turn out me to guards. Funny thing was that he wasn't even considering that, but he was more conflicted that he should love someone outside of his kind, and someone who was lying to him for few last years..." Small glint of shame shined in her eyes. "After all it worked out. Do you know what is most ironic about it? He was fully convinced after he received reply to his letter to Princess Cadance. Of course he omitted some details, but he described her general idea... big thanks again, Chrysalis!"

White ling sighed, and added in somber voice.
"Killie ensures me that everything will be like before... But it's impossible, even if I know there are still few friends of mine out there who don't care about my origin."

"Pony Friends?"

"Most of them are ponies, but there is also one other changeling and griffoness."

"What?! Griffins are..."

"You don't know her, so don't call her names, understood?" Medical changeling interrupted her, giving her stern gaze. "She was one of few who stand up against guards who came for me." Suddenly nurse voice gained characteristic griffin growl and screech used when user was furious. "She's good monster! Let her go! Or I will have to patch up you sorry flanks!" Honeycomb smiled a bit and continued normally. "She knocked out one guard but his companions get her. She's awaiting trial now, but she sent this..." She touched her nurse cap "...to Killie with letter. She wrote she knew there was something weird about me, but I was one of best nurses she met, so she doesn't care."

"And when we are about nursing... You had to drink this potion." Telekinetic grasp of nurse gatherer appeared on the bottle, and it levitated in front of Khatrii, and it uncorked itself. "It's real Love potion, so it will feed you. So... Will you?"

Khatrii nodded and grabbed bottle and started to drink from it. At first it's taste was sweet but then it gained a bitter undertone, and when it reached her belly, she felt a warmness spread through every part of her body. It was very concentrated dose of Love, she never felt something like that before. It wasn't enough to cover her deficiencies of nourishment in few last years... But maybe in few weeks she will even regain her colour... She closed her eyes, and started to daydream how wonderful it would be to look healthy, well-fed again... to be again dusty orange, not black, and her holes again fitting her pattern... It did not take her long to fell asleep.


///
She regained her awareness. But immediately two voices started to yell to her who she was.

Metamorphosis! Metamorphosis was her name! She was daughter of Queen Imago from lineage of Changeling royalty! She was sister to Queen Chrysalis! She was destined to rule over Swarm, together with her sister!

She was Pinkie Pie! Pink party pony! Element of Laughter! Pony who knew everypony in Ponyville! Pony who saved world twice! Pony who had friends such as Twilight Sparkle, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Rarity and Fluttershy!

Both voices yelled they are the true one.

But then third voice joined in.

You are both. Queen Metamorphosis of Swarm, Pinkie Pie of Equestria, Element of Laughter. And you are my daughter.

It was voice unheard at least for fifteen years.

Metamorphosis felt two legs wrapped around her chest, and head on her left shoulder.
And then she felt she was dropped down, but she wasn't really falling down. She was actually more like hovering. And then she felt ground under her hooves. Young Queen decided it's good time to open her eyes. In front of her was sitting her Mother.
She looked almost exactly how she remembered her. Shorter than any Queen before her. She was only slightly bigger than average Worker. Her shell was only thick in few places, like her chest, legs, in other she was almost without chitin. It looked like she was born with armor under her skin, but nothing else. Colour of her shell was between gray and sea green. Her teal mane was kept in topknot. She had almost non-exsistent fangs, barely visible. And then Morpha saw her eyes. Full of joy shadowed only by underlying concern.

"I found you, nymphie."

And then Morpha was overflowed by conflicting emotions, which caused that her mouth was overflowed by her words.
"How! You! Am I! Where! I was! You!..."

Her mother laid hoof on mouth of her daughter and gave her small smile.
"Morpha, I always loved how vivid you are, but could you slow a bit? You are missing whole sentences."

"Am I dead...?"

"No. You are just... lost."

"Are you?"

"Yes. I am dead."

"Wow... Chrysalis, you... Talk about awkward family reunions..." Morpha joked half heartily. Absurdity of situation forced her to somehow relieve it.

Her mother laughed. Her mother voice was almost a bit of crackling so her laughter wasn't one of the most enjoyable ones... But for Morpha it was one of the most desired sounds to heard again.

"Should I ask how is Chrysalis doing to make you feeling better? She never visits me. She's always so busy..."

Morpha smiled.

"Only because you quite went west."

"But she knows where I am, doesn't she? It's not like I'm living on some dead end..."

"Yes, but trip here is quite killing." Morpha was trying very much to stifle a chuckle.

"Oh, be careful or you will knock me dead with your wits." It was too much for younger ling. She chuckled, and then mother and daughter shared a laugh.

After their laughter died down, Morhpa had to get answers for some questions.
"What it is what I looked at? Into? I was someling else for a moment."

"Changelings. Every alive ling is down there. From here you have unlimited, absolute access to every mind."

"But... what happened?"

"Connection beetwen your mind and your body is broken. If it wasn't damaged, you couldn't get pulled into someling like this..."

"I don't understand..."

"You mind accidentally reached too high levels of hivemind. It's rare phenomenon to non-dying changeling reach this place... Think about your body as anchor. Your binding beetwen mind and body was broken. Your mind reached levels where wasn't supposed to be, without place to come back and it started to fall down at first possible place."

"It's like somepony who forget way to home, decided to move into some other pony home?"

"More like... becoming one with this other pony..."

Realization hit Metamorphosis. She could cease to exists, not even die...Her terrible visions were interrupted by calming words of her mother. "Morpha, don't worry about it... I wouldn't let it happen..."

"And... how are we...?"

"I'm... not quite dead. Neither anyling who is remembered by anyling..."

"I always thought it's only saying..."

"Not in our case. After death our minds stays for some time in part of hivemind created by shared memories of changelings... These memories are like anchors, keeping our minds in this plane of existence. We are just here, in plane of hivemind above yours, observing how are you handling your lives, and "living" in copy of your world based on your memories..."

"Ancestors are really above us, guiding us..."

"Yes. And it's also true that sometimes somelings can be helped by their ancestors... But it is like whispering, rarely heard."

"But what if someling is forgotten? What if everling from family died?"

"Then this changeling will die here too. Forever."

"So... what then?"

"Noling knows. Most of us wonder what is beyond. Many of us are awaiting this."

"Why? It sounds like heaven..."

"You'll understand one day. I know that my mother was happy when lings who remembered her personally, died. She was free to go further."

"I don't understand..."

"I know. I wasn't either. Now I do. But enough about such gravely matter. Morphie, I'm so proud of you..."

"Why? I didn't achieved anything... I left my responsibilities away..."

"Do you know what would probably happened if you decided to stay?"

"I didn't thought about it..."

"Rift beetwen and your sister will grow. You would seen each other more and more as political enemies than sisters. And then, one day, you would clash with each other, sending your country into civil war. Sister against sister, and brother against brother, our empire would drown under this bloodshed. Griffin Kingdoms would certainly used this mayhem to attack us... and who know if it wouldn't be last campaign against bug monster from the east..."
Imago stared for a while in distant space, letting her words sink into her daughter.
"By leaving without conflict, you gave your sister time to realize she needs help in ruling over our empire."

"But..."

"That you could appeal to her reason was unlikely. We both know she is a bit... thick-headed." Old Queen sighed with weariness.
"And I'm rather proud of Chrysalis as well. She made many mistakes, it's true. On the other hoof, she managed to avoid worse mistakes, such as full open war with Griffin Kingdoms, or allowance to create drones, to mention few. First would cause destruction of our bodies, latter, of our souls. And she had courage to admit before herself she made a mistakes, or plainly failed, that her way wasn't the one what could save her subjects... And finally to admit it all before her sister who maybe was right all along... It's what I'm proud about in her."

"Mother... What were you plans for Equestria? Changeling I, she, it gets confusing, was talking with said you had long term plans for Equestria."

Imago sighed heavily. "First step of my plan was to contact them using changelings who were already living for years among ponies as our ambassadors. If they would consider us as friends, I would try to negotiate with them to allow us build at least one of our hives on their territory and citizenship for our subjects... This hive would be last hope of our kind if Griffins would conquer our land. But if they would consider us as enemies... Then I would order changelings blended among ponies to wreak panic and havoc, destabilize the country, and when Equestria would be on the verge of disintegration I would order similar attack to this of Chrysalis. I'm not proud of this second solution, but Queen's have to always consider well-being of her subjects first, and her conscience second..."

"Is there anything you can tell me, what could help us?"

"Funny thing, how different you are as Pinkie and Metamorphosis..." Just when Morpha was about to ask what her mother had in mind, she continued "I can give you few advices. You need to regain recognition among your subjects. Don't be afraid to give a few speeches. I know the few first ones will be hard, but you need to clarify that you are really back, and they need something to give them hope. They don't trust your sister so much, so they need to hear it for themselves from you. You should try gain contact with changelings who lived here for years. Their support could be crucial in long term strategy, and they could provide help for survivors of Invasion. You absolutely need to look out what rebelling lings are up to. Their actions can wreck our hopes for negotiations with Equestria. Help Chrysalis to regain confidence. Anything more... No, I think it's all. You are doing good, Morphie, and you know situation better than me. Well... I'm glad we could meet. I was really missing you. But I believe we should cut our meeting short..."

"Why? Can't I stay a little bit longer? I wanted to talk with you more..." Morpha asked pleadingly.

"Chryssie is seriously considering to unleash hell on you purple friend. Her patience is wearing thin."

"But... How long I was out?"

"You arrived here by early afternoon, and now we have late evening, so she is fully excused in her barely herd anger."

"But how I can come back if my connection was broken?"

"Let me help you..." Her mother closed to her and crossed her horn with Metamorphosis horn. "I'll send you back to your body... I hope we won't be seeing soon." She smiled sincerely.

"What, why? Oh... I get it..."

"Farewell, Morphie."

"Goodbye, Mom..."

And then Metamorphosis felt in blackness again.

Author's Note:

Amount of words has been doubled! Only if quality could went the same...