• Published 4th Apr 2017
  • 9,383 Views, 257 Comments

Summer Bound - Windsocks



Kenneth is your average everyday person, all up until he was tossed off a boat and into an insane asylum. Unable to speak nor learn their language, ken decides to stick by the only two ponies that he can communicate with.

  • ...
40
 257
 9,383

Chapter Twenty One - Going off Improv

I twisted and turned in my sleep as the sound of hooves on wood made themselves known. Each knock getting progressively louder as I moaned in protest and rolled over onto my back. The marble flooring was cold against the exposed parts of my skin, threatening to wake me up and get me off the ground.

“Ten more minutes... please,” I protested, my voice groggy from the early hours of the day.

Sadly, my pension for more time was declined as the knocking on the oaken door continued without falter. A voice on the other end coming through, “Who sleeps in till noon?” I knew who it was just from the tone alone. Yet there was a little bit of something else that threw me through the loop. Was it excitement?

“Maybe someone that doesn't raise the god damned sun every morning,” I joke back as my foggy mind starts to pick up on my unique situation. I was laying on the bathroom floor, probably looking like a mess from the amount of crying I did last night. It didn’t feel good saying that, even if it was in my mind. So it came to no surprise that I now found myself somewhat disappointed in the fact that I let the past once again get to me.

As I lay there looking at the well-crafted ceiling I heard the door to my room start to open, “Well if you’re not going to get up on your own then I’m coming in.” Celestia commented as the sound of hoof steps on marble echoed throughout the room.

It was then that my body injected a large dose of adrenalin straight to my brain. I couldn’t let Celestia see me in such a state. She would no doubt blame herself again if I told her I what I was so depressed about.

Springing to my feet, I raced over to the bathroom door and shut it closed before flicking the small lock into place. I won't lie, I chuckled a bit when I heard Celestia yelp in surprise as I slammed the door shut. She must have thought I was in my bed, but to her dismay, I was in fact in the bathroom.

“So you are up?” She stated more than asked, her tone fringing on the side of impressed, “but why lock the door?” I could hear her trying to open the door on the other side. The sweet sound of metal on wood keeping her at bay.

Confident that she wouldn’t blast through the door. I walked over to the sink and looked at myself in the mirror. I had to come up with an excuse now! Racking my brain for anything I blurt out, “I’m not decent!...” Well that actually came out way better than I was expecting. “Just give me a couple more minutes and I’ll be right out.”

The rattling of the door stopped, “Alright, I guess I’ll just wait out here then.”

Turning on the sink I splashed some water on my face again. Reaching over to the towel attached to a ring on the wall, I scrubbed my face clean. Looking back up to the mirror I once again glanced over myself. Getting better but it still needs something. Doing a quick look around the room I found nothing that could really do me any good.

Reaching down, I opened up one of the drawers to find, well, nothing. Shaking my head I went over to the next drawer over and opened it. Inside this one was a small bristle on a what looked to be a rubber band, taking that out I placed it on the counter. Opening up the last of the drawers I found what I was looking for, a small grey comb.

Taking it out of the drawer I immediately started to comb my hair straight from its previous disheveled mess. As I did so, I looked down at the other object I pulled out from the drawer. The top part of it kinda looked like a toothbrush but the rubber band part had me at a loss. Shrugging I placed the comb down and picked up the unfamiliar device.

Well what's the worst that can happen? I question myself as I wet the bristles under the tap and begin to brush my teeth. To my utter and pleasant surprised as I brushed my teeth; I could feel the familiar cold feeling when I took in breaths. Maybe this was like that Miswak Stick's back on earth. Either way, when I was done brushing I looked back up to see myself back to normal, or as normal as I could be in pony infested world anyways.

Turning the tap off I unlocked the door and walked out of the bathroom. The moment I opened the door I could see Celestia sitting down with her hooves tucked under her on the bed. Like she always did, she greeted me with a smile.

“Morning, or should I say good afternoon?” she pondered.

“Afternoon, no need to mix up time just for me,” I replied.

“So why are you still in your tuxedo? I would imagine it being pretty uncomfortable using it every day.” Celestia questioned picking up on the one thing I failed to notice.

Thankfully I had a card up my sleeve, “I would love to wear something else but I still have yet to get any other clothes for a certain white mare that promised me she would handle it.”

“I know! Rarity always thinks she can handle things on her own. It’s going to be her downfall if you ask me,” Celestia stated nonchalantly.

“I was talking about you,” I retorted rolling my eyes.

Seemingly ignoring what I was saying, Celestia jumped off the bed and started to push me from behind. The moment we left the confinements of the guest room Celestia took the lead with a little bit of bounce in her step. When she realized I was staring at her she turned back towards me with her warm smile.

“What?” She questioned.

“Someone's a bit preppy today? Surely it has nothing to do with what happened yesterday does it?” I question looking over to her. A tinge of scarlet adorning her cheeks telling me everything I need to know.

“Is there something wrong with being happy?” She mused while I caught up with her.

I shake my head and chuckle, “nope, I rather like this side of you.”

“Oh, so you don’t like my normal side then? How rude,” Celestia joked as I playfully nudged her to the side.

“You know what I mean. So where are we headed?” I state changing the subject.

She didn’t answer at first but as we turned into the main corridor she picked up where she left off, “Where we always go when we’re both up The Coffee Bean.” The way she looked at me afterward was like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

“Are you sure you need coffee? I mean you look pretty wired already,” I say rubbing the leftover sleep from my eyes.

“Of course I -” Was all Celestia was able to say before a beige coated mare trotted around the corner and ran up to us. She had two scrolls tucked under each of her wings and by the look on her face, they must be rather important. Skidding to a halt she looked up to me then to Celestia, her soft blue eyes trying to decipher the situation.

Seeing the mare approach, the two of us stopped and waited for her to catch her breath, “News from the western isles miss, and also an article from today's paper that I think you should look into.”

Like always, her words have left a mystery to me. I really should take the time to learn their language. But like eighty percent of the human race I was lazy, and learning a whole other language is hard.

Either way, Celestia levitated the two scrolls from the mare and popped them out of existence. “Thank you, Velvet Star I’ll look into it over my cup of coffee.” With a prompt nod from Velvet, she was off trotting down the main corridor.

Looking over to Celestia I questioned, “Aren't you a little bit curious about what she gave you? I mean it did look pretty serious.”

“A bit, but my mind is set on coffee right now.”

Rolling my eyes in response I claimed, “your mind is always set on coffee.”

“That may be true, but at least I have something productive to do while I do so,” Celestia noted as the two of us exited the main corridor and into the garden in front of the castle. The moment we stepped outside I could see a mass of ponies clogging the main gate. The only thing keeping them from charging it was the guards as they stood there weapons crossed letting nopony pass.

“I think I know what the news article was about,” Celestia commented with a sigh, “Looks like we should lay low for a bi- What are you doing!” She yelled as I took her right hoof and ran to the left where the entrance to the upper bailey lay. As we entered the inner courtyard I took note of all the guards looking at me. I guess when one is dragging their princess around they tend to take notice.

With a sheepish smile, I continued to run towards one of the walls surrounding the courtyard. Looking behind I could see Celestia looking both confused and ecstatic at the same time as I led her up the wall and towards the eastern side of the castle. Looking down I took in a large gulp, it was a bit farther down then I had originally thought.

Nevertheless, I leaned over the edge gauging the distance to the ground. As I did so I took notice of the slight angle the wall was at. With a smile, I jumped up on the embrasure causing Celestia to pull away from me. Sadly, by the time she did it I was already sliding my way down.

When my feet hit the ground, I rolled forwards keeping my momentum. Rolling to a halt I looked back up at Celestia whos head was peeking over the edge nervously.

“You have wings, just fly down.” I point out, “You want your coffee don't you?”

Then Celestia did the one thing I didn’t think she would do. Instead of flying down she copied my exact decent. Not expecting this whatsoever from Celestia I was caught off guard when she rolled right into me, causing me to tumble with her.

A couple seconds later and the roll had ended, a couple more seconds and I could hear Celestia’s chuckles. Her laughter was contagious as I joined in. Pretty soon the both of us were full out laughing at how childish this all was. It took us a couple minutes to calm down and get back onto our feet/hooves.

“I don’t think I ever had to sneak out of my own castle before,” Celestia commented still chuckling a bit.

“Well as they say in America, there’s a first time for everything.”

“What is this America?” Celestia questioned cocking her head to the side.

Rolling my eyes, I brushed that question for a later date, “No time for talking, we need to get to The Coffee Bean before the press ponies figure out we’re not even in the castle.” Heeding my warning the two of us booted it towards the city as different as different can be, yet working together like two birds of the same feather.


Running towards the finish, me and Celestia burst through The Coffee Bean doors. The mare at the counter contracting a minor heart attack as the two of us leaned up against the doors out of breath.

With a small smile, Celestia called out towards the mare at the counter in their own tongue. Whatever she said seemed to get the mare working overtime as she jumped into the back of the shop to prepare what I could only assume was Celestia’s cup of coffee.

Taking my back off the door I and Celestia walked over to our normal spot. The coffee mare coming up to us seconds later with what I expected. There were a couple more seconds of talking between the two mares before she walked back over to the counter.

“Remind me never to get the media's attention ever again,” I comment taking the usual jelly filled croissant from its plate and taking a bite out of it. My eyes constantly darting outside to see if anyone will notice us. Thankfully, just like on Earth the ponies here seemed to be absorbed in their own affairs rather then what's going on around them.

“Ditto,” Celestia commented as she popped the two scrolls from before back into existence. Taking a long sip from her coffee she opened up the first scroll and chuckled.

“Is as bad as we thought?” I comment taking another bite and eyeing the streets outside.

Setting the scroll on the table she turned it towards me, “Take a look for yourself,” she motioned as she took the other scroll in her magical grip.

Pulling the paper towards me, I come to see Celestia leaning up against me as we walk through the park on our way back from the restaurant. The title reads: ‘Alien and the Princess?’ while the article below stated the author's opinion on the topic. Clearly saying that they have a strong feeling that I and Celestia were now an item.

“Have to admit, they took a nice picture,” I comment folding the scroll so it only shows the photo as I push it back over to Celestia.

Glancing over at the photo, Celestia smiles, “It is a nice picture, isn’t it. Maybe I’ll have to reach out to the publisher to see if I can get the original.” Taking another large sip from her mug, her eyes dart back over to the other scroll brow furrowing as she reads on.

Eating the last bits of my pastry I comment on her changing expression, “I take it’s not good news on the other scroll?”

“You would be right in that regard. Seems like the ponies of the western isles are running into trouble with the local pirates that roam the area. They're requesting me to head on over and negotiate with their regional officials for more guards to defend the area.” She lectures as she continues to read on.

“Looks like Equestria isn’t perfect after all. Got some major crime happening behind the scenes as well,” I note.

Lowering the scroll Celestia rolls her eyes, “Either way, it looks like I’ll be away the next couple of days.”

“Why not take me with you? I’ll keep you entertained when the politics get too much. Plus I think it would be fun to go on a little adventure. These western isles seem like the perfect getaway from all the hustle and bustle of the city.” I state my mind.

“Up to you, the trip itself is two days there two days back by ship,” Celestia replied staring intently at the paper. I can see by the amount of effort she's putting into staring at the paper that she's trying not to let her true feelings get in the way of making this decision.

Chuckling I speak up, “In order to keep you from blowing a blood vessel looking at that paper. I guess I can come along.”

“Wonderful!” Celestia clopped her hooves together, “We will leave tomorrow afternoon, so by the time you wake up.” Now it was my turn to roll my eyes. I have a feeling I’ll be doing this a lot more frequently with our new relationship status.

Either way with all of the reading done and both our mid-day snacks out of the way we both headed back to the castle. Passing by multiple shocked press ponies as we literally walked up behind them and continued through the gate. The song ‘she’s with me’ playing in my head as we pushed passed.

By the time we reached the main corridor we said our farewells. Celestia going off today court and me off towards my room. However, the moment Celestia was out of sight I took the corner in the hallway leading to where I guess would be the dungeons.

Whether it was out of luck or the fact that I actually remembered something from this castle didn’t matter as I walked down the stairs to where the cells were. As I entered the dungeons of the castle I could see four guards sitting around a table playing cards. The moment they laid eyes on me they sprung to their positions beside the cells.

“We’ll lookie who we have here, the princesses new boy toy,” came the all too familiar voice of River.

Walking over to the cell I looked in to see River sitting on her hay-stuffed bed, “I’m surprised you know so much for being stuck down here.”

“News travels fast, that and these guards kept talking about it. You know how annoying it is to hear them talk about you and Celestia? I was just about to knock myself out when you came in,” River told as she stood up in her cell and walked towards the bars, “So what brings you here? Questions about the powers no doubt?”

“Hit the nail there, you’re the only pony that studied natural magic at such an academic level. Who else am I supposed to go to when I have questions?” I question.

“True, but what do I get in return? Answers like these aren't so easily revealed.” River bargend as she walked up closer to the bars, her face now showing in the light. I can see the damage I did to her when I knocked her out. Just like Celestia she had the light scar that spidered all around her neck and lower muzzle. “How about you take ten years off my sentence and I’ll tell you everything you need to know? Sounds like a fair deal, huh?”

“Counter offer, how about I tell Celestia to keep the guards from talking about our relationship down here. I’ll also come down every once in awhile to keep you sane.” I retorted looking down at River with a stoic expression.

River scoffed, “That's hardly a fair deal.”

“Alright suit yourself,” I say giving up and walking back down the dungeon corridor.

“ALRIGHT, YOU WIN! Never expected you to be so cold,” River whispered the last part to herself.

With a satisfied smile carving its way onto my face I walked back over to the cell, “I think this is going to be a start of a new yet old friendship.”

“Yeah, because we all saw how the last one turned out,” River said gesturing to the cell.

“You reap what you sow, River.”

Author's Note:

Another chapter for you lovely readers.

Like if you like the story, comment if you have something to say.