• Published 4th Apr 2017
  • 9,431 Views, 257 Comments

Summer Bound - Windsocks



Kenneth is your average everyday person, all up until he was tossed off a boat and into an insane asylum. Unable to speak nor learn their language, ken decides to stick by the only two ponies that he can communicate with.

  • ...
40
 257
 9,431

Chapter Seventeen - A Celestial Journey III

With a pop, hiss and little bit of static, I walked through the tear in reality to a place where distance could be changed as easily as one changes minds. Channeling power into my horn again another tear opened up leading me into the interior of the bus that had just left me behind.

Stepping through, I came to see the dark cabin of the bus. People of all sorts were sitting in their respective seats waiting patiently as the bus driver moved the large vehicle to its destination. Surprisingly nobody seemed to notice my obvious use of magic. Well, it was either that, or they just didn’t care enough to react.

Throwing away that thought I walked down the narrow aisle looking for any open seats. When none presented themselves to me when I reached the end of the buss. I came to the realization that Oaklyn must be a pretty popular place. Seemingly the go-to place for vacations and family getaways alike.

“If you’re looking for a space, you can sit next to me?” A female with long blond hair asked. Her voice was soft like silk and her tone was warming like a cup of hot chocolate during a winter snow storm. Walking up to her, I could see that she wore a small sky-blue skirt with a white t-shirt; on top of her head, she adorned a nice white sun hat that shaded her forest green eyes.

With a calm smile, she patted the seat next to her.

“Thank you,” I commented taking the seat. My armor just now starting to feel a bit awkward to have on.

The unnamed woman let out a little chuckle, “It’s no problem at all. So, what's with the getup?” she pondered.

At this point in my journey, I figured that no one would believe me if I told them anyway. Nevertheless, I was too tired to attempt to make up an excuse.

“Two friends of mine have gone rogue and it’s my responsibility to bring them to justice. I have a strong feeling that they’re currently hiding away at Oaklyn Lake.”

“By the way you said that, one would think you're out for blood,” The female chuckled again, albeit more nervously this time.

Suppressing the rising temptation to roll my eyes I replied, “Why else would I wear this kind of armor if I didn’t expect there to be some form of bloodshed?”

“So what did these two friends of yours do exactly?” The woman avoided my question with one of her own, “Must have been something horrible for you to take this much action?”

“River is mad with power and Kenneth seems to just be following her,” I relayed.

Hearing this she looked at me with a confused look, “so you’re only mad at one of them. It seems like this Kenneth didn’t really do anything to upset you. How do you know that he’s not simply held against his will?”

“I know Kenneth well enough to know that he wouldn’t sit idly by while other po- people were in danger. Not to mention that he was the one that originally knocked me out.” I commented, my anger starting to resurface. While I really didn’t want to think that Kenneth had a part in this, the evidence was certainly pointing in that direction.

Gasping the female exclaimed, “He knocked you out! You know that’s abuse, you could sue him!”

This time I was unable to keep my eyes from rolling over, “It’s not like he hit me or anything, I was curious about the ring he was given by River. It was ultimately the ring that knocked me out.”

Once again, the girl's expression changed to one of confusion, “So he didn’t knock you out, the ring he gave you did. It seems like you’re assuming a lot about this guy. From what you’re telling me Kenneth is just caught up in the middle of you and Rivers little quarrel. Have you ever thought that maybe Kenneth is just following River because he doesn't want you to get hurt?”

Her statement seemed to slap me across the face, “I-i” was all I could say as my mind started to replay all of the events that led up to now. The more I thought about it, the more everything was starting to fall in place. Could it be that Kenneth really had the best intentions in mind while following River?

“Seems like when this is all over you owe someone an apology,” The girl chuckled, “I’m Sky by the way. You are?”

“Celestia,” I replied out of focus as I continued to mull over the new information.

“That's a very ‘unique’ name,” Sky continued.

“Where I come from I could say the same thing about you,” I said inflicting a small chuckle from the both of us.


“Would you just shut up! If you weren’t so important to my plans, I would have killed you and dumped you in the lake already!” River yelled as she stomped her hoof into the old wooden floor.

Kenneth smiled, he was having way too much fun getting on River's nerves. For an extremist psychopath, she was relatively easy to get to… Then again the more he thought about it, most extremist psychopaths are pretty sensitive to begin with. That, however, didn’t change his mind on what he was going to say next.

“Did you know Celestia goes to the hospital every week to see the foals and fillies that are sick? I mean if everybody was that nice and caring the world would be a way better place to live in don’t you think?” I questioned River with a dreamy tone that seemed to send her off the rails.

“You really think she’s always been like that?!” River exploded, “You think that it’s all rainbows and butterflies shoved up her pompous flank? Have you ever once thought to look at her past?! Maybe scrounge around the histories and find out that she isn’t what everypony says she is?” With fire in Rivers eyes, she grabbed a nearby metal camping spike.

“Where is your precious angel now Ken? OH WAIT SHE'S PROBABLY AT THAT FUCKING HOSPITAL! MAYBE SHE’LL VISIT YOU NEXT WEEK?!” She yelled shoving the spike deep into his right shoulder.

Yelling in pain, Kenneth struggled within her magical binds. The binds, however, were not the worst of his concerns as River picked up another metal spike. “Why don’t you ask the ponies from saddle bay about your precious princess?” River questioned as her horn surged with power. Kenneth watched in horror as the new spike she was holding started to glow red hot.

When Kenneth didn’t answer, River swiped the spike across his chest, “No? Then how about the minotaurs in the sandy wind region? I’m sure they would love to talk about Celestia and her angelic exploits?” Like before, she swiped across his chest in the other direction.

Each pass she made was slow and meticulous, inflicting more cries of pain from Kenneth. His muscles were all moving on their own trying to do anything to get out of the situation he was in. He didn’t know how much more of this he could take. However, he did know that as painful as this all was, River would never let him die. She needed him, and that was something he would abuse.

“Fine, you want to know something River?” Kenneth questioned panting out of breath.

River snorted, “What could you of all ponies tell me?”

“Come closer and I’ll tell you,” Kenneth motioned.

River complied but didn’t get too close. While she was a psychopath she wasn’t stupid enough to open herself up to an attack, “Alright what is it?” she all but spat out.

Kenneth let a small smile carve itself onto his face.

“Celestia’s an organ donor.”

If anger could manifest itself into a physical form, River would be a carbon copy of it. Her horn lit up with blue electricity as she took the smoldering spike and pumped a large amount of energy into it.

Looks like I stepped across the line. Kenneth gulped as River moved to shove the electrified spike into his stomach.


The journey was as long as the store clerk said it would be. Yet, with Sky keeping me company time seemed to just fly on by. Nevertheless, that didn’t mean I was any less anxious to confront River and Kenneth. If anything, the little talk with Sky had me more on edge than when I first got on the bus.

It wasn’t till I heard the screeching of the breaks that I realized we had arrived at our destination. As if to confirm my thoughts, I could see the large lake through the side windows. The late afternoon sun danced across the water's surface making it sparkle and cast a lovely amber glow across the sky. It was at that moment that I realized why people loved coming here. Just looking at it seemed to have an atmosphere that screams rest and relaxation.

As the people started to debord the bus I was stirred from my thoughts. Each one saying their thanks towards the bus driver as he happily waved them off. Following the line, I and Sky finally made our way out of the bus and into another bus terminal. This one, however, was much smaller with only a handful of people stood on the sidewalk.

“It was nice talking with you Celestia, even though all we did was roleplay. It kind of reminded me when I was a kid,” Sky commented as she made her way towards a group of people that were waiting for her.

“Roleplaying!” I yelled to myself, “And here I thought someone was actually open-minded enough to understand what I was going through.” Letting out a frustrated sigh, I continued down the sidewalk away from the town and into a more secluded area of the bus terminal. When I was sure that no one was around, I reached deep down into my soul and looked for my magic again. Like a snake, I felt it weave around inside me till it surfaced in the palm of my right hand.

Within seconds of it surfacing I had casted the complex scanning spell simply by willing it to happen. Before long a large golden aurora expanded around my body and started to send out pulses of energy in every direction.

Just as I had expected, the scan picked up a large amount of energy radiating from an area closer towards the lake. River was definitely here, but what caught me off guard was the fact that I had found way more energy than I had originally thought I would find. It was clear to me that River was using her new-found power.

Time was clearly of the essence, and getting to River before she casts another spell was my top priority. The problem with this, however, was that the scanning spell I had used was only good for pinning down a general location. Since the magic she used was ‘natural’ magic the signature would not be one main point, but instead would be multiple points scattered randomly around her. This, of course, meant that tracking her down would be even harder.

Letting out another frustrated sigh I dashed out of the bus terminal and made a beeline to the forest. As sloppy as it was, I would just have to rely on continuous scans till I came across where they were hiding.

Kenneth's POV


Tears streamed down my face as I kept my eyelids shut tight. I didn’t dare to open them, for I was afraid that even looking at my wounds would cause more pain. Not to mention what River would do if she saw me pushing through the pain.

Like clockwork River once again poured more of her new power through one of the spikes. I could feel my muscles spas as the current ran through them. Letting out another scream of pain I felt my body go limp and my eyelids opening on their own.

“Oh, how rude of me, did you want to keep talking?” River questioned sitting down in front of my battered body,

Out of breath from the last pulse, I found myself pleading, “Please sto-” was all I could say before another wave of energy shot through my body. It felt like my nervous system was on fire, the air I inhaled felt like knives and the world around me started to spin. I could tell I was on the edge of death, one more pulse and that would be it, no more Kenneth.

“What was that? Don’t let me hold you down, what were you going to say?” River questioned with a little chuckle at the end, “Don’t tell me you’ve already had enough?”

My body was in so much pain that I barely noticed the temperature of the air increase. Nor did I realize that the door to the shack had also been opened.

“I think he has,” came another voice.

Using all my leftover energy I turned my head to look towards the source of the voice. Cracking my eyelids open I came to see a tall slender woman clad in golden armor. I didn’t have to ask to know that this was Celestia. Who else would have the determination to come out and hunt us down?

“Oh Celestia, I’ve seen you’ve changed your appearance. You could say you shocked me!” River yelled as she let an arc of lightning shoot out of her hoof and into Celestia's chest.

Being caught off guard Celestia was flung across the room before slamming through one of the wooden walls. Since the whole place was rather old the rest of the wall started to crumble apart causing a portion of the roof to fall on top of her.

“Don’t tell me this is all you got?” River stated walking up to the pile of wood.

Within milliseconds a spear came out of the woodpile narrowly missing River as she ducked to the side. Rolling back to her hooves River fired up her horn again as she charged Celestia. Celestia charged back, shoving the spear into the ground right before River causing her to vault over her. Landing with a large thud Celestia roundhouse kicked River in the barrel.

With her body impacting the ground River slid across the floor. At the end of the slide River dug her left hoof into the floor and slid around reorienting herself towards Celestia. No words were spoken as the two stared at each other.

Celestia was the first to break the stare as she charged River with her spear held forwards. River being on the defensive was prepared for the charge as she swiped her hoof across the air slicing it with an arc of lightning.

Having seen her do it before, Celestia slid under the bolt before being caught off guard as another bolt slammed into her side. Rolling with the force of the attack Celestia halted right in front of me her face steady and calm as she looked at River. The two were completely oblivious to the world around them as they continued to take turns attacking and defending.

So, it came to a surprise that I heard a third voice echo out, “What are we waiting for?”

Looking around the room I could not spot anything different, Celestia and River were still battling it out. River choosing to ignite the fuel tank on the boat causing Celestia to be tossed to the side from the sheer force of the explosion.

“Who...” was all I could say in my current state as I continued to look around the boathouse for the source of the voice.

Time seemed to slow down as Celestia swung her spear forwards to create some distance. The colors all started to distort like an old CRT monitor, “Are we waiting till the time is right?” The voice once again echoed throughout my mind, “It’s time we showed River that our power can’t be controlled.”

I found myself agreeing in my dazed state. I could feel myself slip out of consciousness and the darkness take me. All I wanted was to rest and here was this entity telling me to do just that. So, who was I to deny it?


As Celestia skidded to a halt from her last attack, she ducked to the side avoiding another bolt of energy. It was at this moment that she broke the silence the two had fallen into during the fight.

“You’re going to need better aim than that if you wish to defeat me!” Celestia yelled as she charged forward with her spear held firmly in her grip.

River, on the other hand, was smiling as the support beam behind Celestia gave way. The roof started to creak as the main ridge board came loose and fell onto her. With a pained grunt, Celestia found herself pinned under the heavy board of wood. Her magic giving way to pain as she struggled to get out from under the beam.

Seeing her plan succeed River walked up to the Celestia pinned under the large wooden board. “I thought you would be tougher than this,” River laughed as she picked up Celestia’s spear with her own magic.

Fighting through the pain Celestia managed to concentrate enough to teleport out from under the beam before appearing across the room from her. “I’ll never let Equestria fall into the hooves of you.”

River chuckled once again as she spun the spear around in her magic, “That's where you’re wrong,” With her eyes glowing blue she poured more energy into her grip, causing the spear to snap in two, “For you see, I already have Equestria in my hooves. It’s going to take way more than just one alicorn to overpower me now!”

Celestia looked on towards River with pure hatred in her eyes. The feeling was so strong she could already tell that her inner darkness was starting to surface. Any moment now and she would no longer be Celestia.

“Let’s see the real yo-,” Was all River could say before a large bolt of energy slammed into her side. The blast was so strong it sent her through the shack's wall and left a small crater where she landed outside.

Celestia was completely stunned for it was not her that casted the spell. Looking over to where the bolt came from her eyes widened. Where Kenneth once was, stood the form of a human made entirely out of electricity. Arcs of lightning shot out from his form as he made his way over to where River was getting up.

Turning to face Kenneth, River smiled, “At last, you show me your true potential! Now we can have some fun!”

Kenneth said nothing in response instead he kept walking towards River as she charged up her own horn. With everything she had, River let out a large bolt of magic towards Kenneth. It was like nothing happened as the bolt impacted Kenneth. His body seemingly absorbing the power as he continued to walk towards River.

As if she just pulled off a 'Nobel Prize' worthy experiment River exclaimed, “So it’s true! My predictions were right!” She continued to smile as Kenneth arrived before her and picked her up with his own magic. Like a maniac, River let out a crackling laugh, “Kill me, Kenneth! Let your anger control you!”

Like a switch, Celestia started to understand what was going on in front of her.

“Kenneth don't! This is what she wants! She wants you to become a monster!”

There was a small falter in Kenneth's form as he looked towards Celestia walking towards him. Nevertheless, he poured more power into his grip causing River to lose consciousness.

“This isn’t you Ken, you’re better than this!” Celestia continued to yell towards him, “Killing River is not just!”

Once again, the energy around Kenneth started to flicker. He was now looking in between River suspended in the air and Celestia walking towards him.

“Death i-is a form of ju-u-stice” Kenneth's voice echoed out as the energy around him continued to flicker.

“I know you have a lot of reasons to kill her, but doing so will just make things worse. Come back to us, don’t let the anger you have consume you. I know how it feels, I’ve been in the same position as you many years ago. Let me tell you it’s not worth it, so please, come back, come back to me.”

Kenneth's attention was now solely on Celestia. The flickering was getting more and more frequent. Before Celestia could say anything more, Kenneth let go of River and fell forwards.

Acting fast Celestia reached out and caught him before he could hit the floor. The energy surged through her, burning her skin as she held onto Kenneth. “It’s over, you did the right thing,” Celestia whispered into Kenneth's ear as the energy flickered one more time before fading away.

Author's Note:

Comming to the end of ARC I already, time sure does fly. I got some nice art for ARC II that will be present in the first chapter of the arc. I would like to know what have you guys thought so far of the first arc? and more importantly, what do you want to see in the second arc.

points out to whoever figures out the song that inspired me to finish writing this chapter. Hint there are two lines in the book that are lines in the song.