• Published 4th Apr 2017
  • 9,383 Views, 257 Comments

Summer Bound - Windsocks



Kenneth is your average everyday person, all up until he was tossed off a boat and into an insane asylum. Unable to speak nor learn their language, ken decides to stick by the only two ponies that he can communicate with.

  • ...
40
 257
 9,383

Chapter Thirteen - Short Fuse

The days after the weather settled down seemed to fly on by. Without the constant storm raging on, I could finally take things at my own pace. Not only had my work been lightened, but Celestia’s as well. With all the ponies out and about fixing up the mess, it left her with a surprisingly large amount of free time.

With the both of us having flexible schedules we soon found ourselves following a little routine of sorts. I would wake up, head on over the Coffee Bean with Celestia and lastly come back to help the lab boys wherever they needed it.

In fact, I even started to get paid for my work with the lab boys. An event to which no matter how much I protested, Celestia persisted. Claiming that having me work for free was unethical or whatever. Either way, life as chaotic as it once was, now seemed to settle down nicely.

“You think your phone will ever stop floating,” Snowy Mist, or Misty as I come to call her now commented.

I shrugged as I moved back to my high-tech device I was creating, “We’ll find out sooner or later if my device works as it's intended to.”

Misty rolls her eyes as she takes another sip from her trusty ‘sciences best friend’ mug, “The only thing you and that stick of yours are going to accomplish is another hole in the wall.”

“It’s not a stick! It’s a magical energy dispersal unit,” I retorted back at her.

“Oh for crying out loud, It’s a stick with crystals taped to it. If this device has as much magical power to throw you across the lab, then it’ll blow up that stick in your stupid hands,” Misty exclaimed as she walked over to her own lab bench.

“Hey, where do you think you’re going. Weren’t you the pony that claimed that she would work with me?” I question taping the last crystal into place.

“If you’re going to do this then I’m going to a place where it’s safe,” as she said this she erected two magical shields, placed a pair of goggles on her head and hid behind the lab bench. “Don't worry I have full confidence that your ‘test’ will go on without a hitch.”

I let out a large sigh, “says the mare hiding in her little fort.”

Without any further input from Misty, I picked up my magical dispersal unit and aimed it at the floating phone. Slowly and carefully I inched the rod closer and closer to the phone. I could tell the tension in the room was rising as all the other lab ponies stopped what they were doing and watched on behind their own magical barriers.

“Alright, just a little bit more,” I commented to myself.

Summoning up all the courage I had left within my system, I touched the rod to the phone. Instantly the tip of the rod sparked as the crystals attempted to siphon all the magical energy that was being released.

A couple seconds passed and still nothing happened, no shocks, no disintegrations, and thankfully no explosions.

“HA! I did it! See!” I claimed to everybody as I pushed the stick a bit further to move the phone. As expected the phone floated to where I pushed it. “Kenneth:1 Phone:1!” I commented out loud as I moved to retract the stick from the phone. Sadly, the rod stayed in place almost as if it were glued to the phone.

Giving it a quick yank only served to move the phone closer to me, “Hm, alright, I seemed to have run into a slight problem-” Was all I was able to say before the crystals on the rod began to glow bright blue. Before I could react the crystals shattered and a large magical wave flung me across the room.

Thankfully, the blast wasn’t as strong as the one when I touched it. This one only flung me over two lab benches. Landing me right next to Misty.

“Kenneth:1 Phone:2,” came Misty’s chuckling voice.

I gave her a deadpan glare, “Oh shut it, at least I was able to move it. What have you been able to do?”

“Not get flung across the room like an idiot,” Misty commented as she helped me up onto my feet. The other science ponies all started to record something into their notes causing me to look at Misty in confusion.

Rolling her eyes she explained, “You just proved that the device outputs magic with an alternating current. While interesting, doesn't really tell us much of where it’s getting this energy from. Or more importantly what it’s powering.”

“Well, you continue to work on this thing. I’m going to call it off early,” I commented rubbing my back. I’m surprised I haven't thrown it out yet with the amount of abuse I’ve been putting it through.

Misty nods as she brings out her notepad, “Yeah, you do that. Just let me get a swab sample and a scan. This way I can see if this phone of yours did anything more then fling you across the room.”

Nodding in agreement I grabbed a nearby stool and sat next to Misty’s bench. With a quick flash, the scans were done, and a couple seconds more of Misty swabbing me down I was free. At least free until I hit the main corridor in the castle.

As much as I become accustomed to the pony language, it was still out of my reach to decipher. That being said I could tell when somepony was calling out to me. Turning my head around I looked towards the direction that somepony was calling to me from. Turning around I came to see Celestia walking at a brisk pace to catch up to me.

“English, not Equinish,” I reminded her as she caught up.

“Right, sorry,” Celestia corrected herself, “So, you done for today?” Celestia questioned as she walked with me down the corridor. “You were only in the lab for three hours?”

“Yeah, well I did all I could for them today. I have a feeling this test will give us way better results than the last one.” I relayed looking at each guard we passed by. Their golden armor always seemed to catch my eye.

Letting out a little chuckle, she reminded me, “The last test you did put you in the hospital. Seeing as you’re not there now means that it's already more successful. Either way, are you free for the rest of the evening?” Celestia asked quickly changing the subject.

“Should be, why?”

“Well, there’s a party of sorts going on later today. I was wondering if you’d care to join me?” she asked looking everywhere but towards me.

“Is this a date?” I asked in a mock shocked tone.

This, of course, caused Celestia’s face to adorn a nice shade of red. With the amount of time, we had been spending together recently. I had come to the realization that Celestia was a bit sensitive around the subject of romance. Ever since that day I’ve been toying with her.

“I’m just joking, of course, I’ll come. So what’s this party for? Who’s going to be there?” I asked changing the subject.

After recomposing herself she answered my questions, “To be honest I have no idea. Canterlot Castle hosts a multitude of parties every week. It’s simply impossible to keep on top of them all. However, it must be worth it seeing as my prized student will be there with her friends. This would be an excellent time to meet them all.”

“Ah, that Twilight mare, maybe she can teach me more of your language,” I comment with a small chuckle. “She’ll probably end up following me the entire time trying to get more information on humans out of me.”

Celestia joined in with a little chuckle of her own, “That would be ‘interesting’ to watch. Either way, the party is at twenty-one-hundred sharp and will go throughout the night. Of course, no one is expected to stay later than three in the morning. Oh, and my sister Luna will also be there.”

“Great, nothing like a little bit of rivalry to get the party going,” I retorted as I stopped where the two of us would go our separate ways. “Well if that’s all I guess I’ll see you at the party in a couple of hours.”

“It’s not going to be that bad. Plus I think my sister is starting to warm up to you,” Celestia commented as she moved in closer to me.

With small one hoof hug, we both said our farewells and went our respective ways. The walk to my room was rather uneventful. Lone pictures upon the walls and the periodic guard were the only things that kept me company.

When I finally reached my room I immediately headed straight for the bed. With a small leap, I flopped down onto the plush mattress. An action I quickly regretted as a sharp pain shot through my back. It looked like I would have to be more careful in my current situation.

As the pain slowly subsided, I rolled onto my back and looked towards the ceiling. Its bland white marble color did nothing to entertain me. At least in my old apartment, I could attempt to count the tiles on the roof. Letting out a large sigh I moved my head into a different position so I could see the clock in the room.

“18:30” I read out loud.

The party was in two and a half hours, and sadly with my new ‘healthier’ sleep schedule, I didn’t feel tired at all. Which leads me to the question: ‘what was I going to do now?’ Thankfully, someone else answered that question as I got a knock on my door.

“Come in, it’s open,” I called out while sitting up.

Without a second to lose the doors opened up and River stepped in, “Good evening Mr. Kenneth. I heard that you had a very ‘eventful’ day in the labs.” She commented as she closed the doors behind her and wandered to the foot of the bed.

“I guess you could say that,” I snorted, “so what brings you here? I’m not much help to you now that I got my magical essence ripped out of me.”

“Oh, but on the contrary, you were the only one to experience the teleportation and the full force of the magical aurora the phone hit you with. In time I may need you again to help decipher more of this mystery.” River lectured.

I gave her a little smile, “I’m happy to see you still find me useful. So, if that wasn't the reason for you being here what is?” I asked only to replay that sentence in my head, “Pardon me if that came off a bit rude, I’m just very curious. Every time I see you I get some sort of large reveal.”

“No big reveal today, sorry to disappoint. I just came to give you this little ring. Since you have absorbed magic before, I think it's safe to say that you can still do so. This ring will stop that from happening so you’ll get no more surprises.”

“Wait if I can still absorb magic then I'm not really severed from earth then right?” I question, a little bit of hope laced in my voice.

River shook her head, “I’m sorry but when I said you can’t teleport back I mean it. The only reason you were able to do so was that you were siphoning enormous amounts of energy. As of now, you're empty, if you were to try and siphon more your body would expel it faster then you can gain it. In short, without this ring, you will be casting basic level skill every couple of days.”

“I see, well at least the ring looks cool,” I commented as she levitated the silver ring in front of me. The entire face of the ring had strange blue runes etched into it.

“Well, it’s the least I can do seeing as you’ll be wearing it for the rest of your life. Might as well make it look stylish.” She retorted releasing her magic on it.

Taking the ring in my fingers I twirled it around, “One ring to rule them all.”

“What was that?” River questioned.

“Nothing, just would have thought you would’ve taken me out on a date first before committing.” I joked causing River to roll her eyes at me.

“Whatever you say, Casanova, just keep the ring on and everything should be fine,” With that said she turned back around and started her walk out.

“Yeah, yeah, I got you,” I stated as I placed the ring on my right index finger.

With that all said and done, River left leaving me all alone once again. Letting out another sigh I flopped back onto the bed and brought my finger with the ring on it into view. It’s soft glowing runes shining brightly to a point where it was almost mesmerizing.


“Fifty-five, fifty-six, fifty-eight, fifty-nine aaand sixty!” I exclaimed upside down on the bed looking at the clock that now read ‘20:50’. I was never the one to be late so I decided that I would leave ten minutes early.

Rolling over onto my stomach, I got myself up and stretched. In accordance to my stretch, the air pockets in the synovial fluid between my bones popped. Like it always did and will always continue to do, the process and the aftermath felt amazing.

Wasting no time dilly-dallying, I took my leave from the room and headed over to the ballroom. An event that would’ve been impossible for me a week ago. Thankfully, since I was living in the castle now I found myself navigating it better every day.

Turning the last corner to get to the ballroom, my eyes immediately landed on Celestia at door. To say that she was dressed up to the nines would be the understatement of the century. She had a long regal white dress that flowed over her flank. The last part of which was semi-transparent with a subtle gold trim. She also adorned the same Midnight Sun I had given her in her styled mane.

When her magenta colored eyes met mine she let a small smile come to her lips. A true goddess was standing in front of me as the settings sun's rays casted a warm glow over her figure.

Getting over the slap in the face that was her beauty, I found myself being rather… well under-dressed as it were. Here I was going to a fancy ‘noble’ party with a shirt that had a fist sized hole in it; one of which I have Luna to thank for.

Walking up to Celestia, I let my clouded mind do the talking, “I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone dressed up as beautifully as you are tonight.”

Celestia smile widened, “Thanks,” She then took a look at me and chuckled, “I wish I could say the same thing to you, but I’m afraid I’ve seen other stallions more ‘appropriately’ dressed.”

I gave her a deadpanned expression, “You and I both know that my wardrobe malfunction was all due to your sister. Not only that, but your tailors are taking a suspiciously long time to come up with replacements. Do you know how long it takes to hand wash these things?”

“You cannot rush perfection and to answer your question no because we ponies do not have these ‘hands’,” Celestia stated with her signature smirk.

Of course, leave it to Celestia to create a workaround for every argument you throw at her. However, it does do one good thing.

“Kenneth?!” Came the surprised tone of a certain lavender mare.

This sudden revelation caused me to raise and eyebrow and for Celestia to jump two feet off the ground. You know that one good thing I was talking about? Yeah, that, keeps you on your toes. It’s safe to say that being with Celestia has seemed to have robbed me of most surprises. You see when you’re good friends with the goddess of the sun, these types of things happen a lot. Yet for some reason, Celestia is always caught off guard by them.

Turning around I came to see the mare I had expected to see, “Ah, Twilight good to see you too,” I commented with a smile. Looking past her I came to see the rest of her entourage, “as well as your friends,” I continued causing the mares behind her to smile back at me.

Just like Celestia, all the girls here were dressed up to the nines. Twilight had a dress with stars on, while her friends had various different ones that matched their coat color and accents that matched their manes.

“Celestia didn’t tell me you were going to be here!” Twilight exclaimed as she looked at her mentor then back towards me.

Letting out a chuckle Celestia replied, “I thought this would be a pleasant surprise for everyone attending. In addition, this is sort of my workaround for the integration process being destroyed by the storm.”

Hearing her response I looked over to her, “So you did plan this all?” I questioned.

Celestia didn’t say anything in response but instead decided that something off in the distant was worth more of her attention. Shaking my head at her actions I turned back to Twilight and her friends.

“I think it's great! I’m sure a lot of the ponies here will love to meet you! And while we do so we can discuss the customs of your world!” Before I could say anything to Twilight she pulled me in with her magic and brought me closer to her friends, “And what better way to start then to introduce you to my friends! This is Applejack,”


Celestia watched on as Ken was literally yanked away from her and towards Twilight and her group of friends. To be quite honest, she didn’t think that Twilight would take it upon herself to show him around the party. In fact, she herself was actually looking forwards to doing that herself.

Sadly, before she could interject, Twilight had already finished her introductions with her friends and started the process of showing him around to other ponies. Both seemingly enjoying each other's company as they went around from pony to pony.


Now Celestia is no stalker, but that didn’t mean she couldn’t chat with ponies ‘close’ to where Twilight and Kenneth were. Just from her ‘accidental’ eavesdropping, she was able to hear how the two were getting along.

“I wish I could use magic like you ponies can,” Kenneth commented as the two moved towards another pair of nobles.

Twilight bumped Kenneth with her flank and smiled up at him, “It may look easy, but trust me when I say it’s way harder than it looks.”

“So I’ve been told. Either way, I wouldn’t mind studying weeks on one spell in order to have the ability to speak your language. Even now I feel like a burden with you having to translate everything somepony says,” he responded.

“You’re not a burden to me, I actually find it fun to translate between the two,” Twilight commented back.

Ken let out a little laugh, “You’re such a geek.”

Before she could respond, the two ponies they were walking up to spoke up, “Nice to see you again Twilight. I see you have the human everyponies been talking about with you. May I just say that you look rather adorable together.”

Twilight's face flushed as the wine glass in Celestia’s magical grip shattered. This, of course, caused the ponies in Celestia’s group to gasp as a waiter quickly cleaned up the mess. Questions started to swirl, but Celestia was quick to douse the metaphorical fire before is spread.

“What did he say?” Kenneth asked Twilight with a look of confusion on his face. Clearly, he did not understand what the stallion said.

Twilight did her best to not embarrass herself further as she explained what he had said. Thankfully, for her part, Kenneth just laughed it off. This flipped the tables and caused the ponies they were interacting with to become confused.

This was rectified as Twilight, in turn, told the two that they were in fact not seeing each other and that this was the second time they had even seen each other. With an apology, the two ponies told their farewells leaving the two alone once again.

“I think we finally talked to everyone here,” Kenneth exclaimed stretching his arms.

Twilight nodded her head, “Yeah, and not only that but you helped to answer some of my questions.”

“It was no problem, so what was Fluttershy talking about earlier? Some sort of amazing sight she wanted to see? Can't she come here anytime and see it?” Kenneth questioned.

“Oh, you’re talking about the royal gardens. While it’s true that she can come anytime to see it, only at special events like these do the castle staff decorate it,” Twilight relayed as she moved in closer to Ken.

Now Celestia has a pretty long fuse, but something about the way Twilight got up close to Ken made her right eye twitched. Without a second thought her horn started to glow and within a blink of an eye, Twilight popped out of existence.

Caught completely off guard, Kenneth looked around himself only to find Celestia casually walking up next to him before asking, “Did Twilight leave you all alone?”

“I have no idea, one minute we were talking about the royal gardens and the next she’s gone,” Kenneth commented with a confused look on his face.

With a sheepish smile, she replied, “I’m sure she’ll be okay. So, you were talking about the royal gardens? I heard the castle staff has put in more work than usual tonight. Care to join me?”

Author's Note:

Remember, let me know what you think of the chapter in the comments below ;)