• Published 4th Apr 2017
  • 925 Views, 191 Comments

Space Horse - TheMajorTechie



Gadget has finally completed her portal back to Equestria. Except... that's not where the portal leads.

  • ...
4
 191
 925

Log 4125: Plane ride of ultimate contemplation

Author's Note:

What do you do when you're on a long, boring plane ride? OVERTHINK EVERYTHING! :pinkiecrazy:

Some of this stuff Gadget's gonna talk about may or may not be spoilers for the next story.
Can you guess which one it is?

Freakin' geez. That sure took awhile to get back here. Either that, or I've just slept so long that it's now the next day.

Oh. It's the next day.

Welp. We're at an airport now, so I'm assuming that we're gonna be on a couple hours' flight back to wherever the lab is, and then I'm gonna continue the ever-boring task of trying to get the portal to work.

And speaking of the portal... earlier today, before I started this log, I got a message noting that we were able to open a relatively stable two-way portal again, but this time to not-space. Yeah, yeah, I know, the wording's stupid, but you can't blame the filly for not knowing the words, alright? (Even if said filly has been living in a scientific environment her whole life...)


Now, here come the big questions that've been on my mind lately: What if Equestria isn't all that it's said to be? Who ever said that an entire reality would be dictated by a mere TV show, one that's been dead and gone for the past half a century, for that matter? How would this supposed "Equestria" react to a filly and an old man popping out of a portal that appeared out of nowhere?

And what if Equestria isn't even close to how it's been depicted in the show? What then? This entire project's funding stems from the idea of opening trade relations with one of the most accepting markets ever seen. If Equestria's anything but that, all of the money we've been given for this would immediately be sucked dry, and many of us would be left on the streets.

After all, the only way we've been able to pinpoint what universe this portal's gonna link to is to use material from said universe. Namely, me. If it turns out that I just happened to pop out here as a pony, and originally came from some wacko universe where top hats are eaten like fries or something, then I doubt that the portal would even be considered again. Besides, it was already hard enough to use traces of my DNA to locate a host universe this time around, but how are we to know that it's even the right one?

If you ask me, the only way to tell would be if I had mysteriously gone missing from that universe as a very young foal, and hadn't returned since.

I wonder what my parents would be like? I mean, sure, they're probably gonna be overjoyed at my return and all, but I wouldn't be the same filly as the one they lost. I've grown up here, on Earth. I've got my own life, and heck, I probably have a completely different name from the one I was given at birth. In fact, I'm tempted to wonder if I was even a pony at all back there, since with how the Equestria Girls movies depicted inter-universal portals as--

"Would you like some snacks?"

"--ways tooooo.... what?"

The flight attendant raised a brow, and asked me again. "Would you like a snack? Something to drink, perhaps?"

Oh. Right. We're on a passenger flight to avoid wasting money on a private jet. I nearly forgot that I've been staring blankly ahead for the past like, 15 minutes. And in my human disguise, as well.

Delmar raised a hand. "I'll have some peanuts." He said, "And let's have a soda for my granddaughter."

I turned to Delmar, mouthing "seriously?" to him as he handed me a can of generic cola.

"Hey, next time, you try to come up with a cover in under a second." Delmar whispered back, "You'd probably come up with the same answer."

Meh. Fair enough.