• Published 12th Apr 2017
  • 1,864 Views, 189 Comments

Broken Mirror - GMBlackjack



When an experiment with Pinkie's powers go wrong, Pinkie and Rarity are sucked into a world where things are drastically different.

  • ...
8
 189
 1,864

IX - Meetings of Chance and Fate

>>Politics is a fundamentally broken concept.

A bunch of people gather together in a room, supposedly all there for the betterment of the nation or country, but in reality, they are pitted against each other in various groupings, complete with military-like alliances, threats, bribes, and blackmail. Any sufficiently complex political situation is indistinguishable from war after enough digging.

There is a fundamental problem with this, one that should be beyond obvious. Eventually, the alliances become more important than the will of the country or nation. Then there comes a moment when someone is sure they are in the right, and that their party is the best for the world - dismissing any other ideas as an evil virus of Tartarus. Then they step back, and take a moment to look at the things they’ve done for their perceived ‘greater good...’ Deception. Conspiracy. Cover-ups. So many lies it isn’t even funny.

Never mind - it is funny, in a way. As long as you aren’t a part of the process. Laugh at these politicians stuck in a web of lies that they can’t remove themselves from - even if any of them wanted out.

Don’t even pause to consider that it might apply to you and your friends. After all, those you put your faith in can’t have the same problem, right?<<

~~~

For Rarity and Pinkie ‘home’ was now a small little room with two beds, a window, a small table, a bathroom separated from the beds only by a curtain, and a closet. Rarity arrived home first and instantly decided that the next opportunity she had she would take some materials from the new Boutique and spruce the place up. It was almost ghastly, bare as it was. But for now, she needed to relax - take a rest. She flopped onto one of the beds and let out a sigh. She lifted her red mane above her eyes, staring deeply into the scarlet folds- earlier today the color had looked wonderful. Now it just seemed… alien, a reminder that she couldn’t be herself here, or else there would be dangerous consequences. She felt such a strange mixture of relief and disgust at her current situation - she really wasn’t sure where to go next.

Well, besides that meeting, but that was a few days away.

Her thoughts were interrupted by the sound of jovial laughter - familiar laughter. Pinkie and… Rainbow Dash!?

Rarity stuck her head out into the hallway, rather surprised to see both ponies coming down the hallway. Pinkie seemed to wobble uncontrollably, and Rainbow Dash was having trouble steering her wheelchair.

Wheelchair.

“My Stars…” She held a hoof to her mouth. The disabled pegasus was missing a wing as well, and she had numerous scars all over her body… Rarity couldn’t imagine what could have caused all those wounds...

“It’s rude to stare, runter.” Rainbow Dash said with a slight chuckle.

Pinkie giggled. “Hu-yeah! It’s ruuuude to stare, runter!”

Rarity gasped. “Pinkie! Why on- You’re drunk, aren’t you?”

“Veeeeeeeeeeeery drunk!” Pinkie hiccuped.

Rainbow Dash smirked. ”Don’t worry, missy-may, I kept her under control. No secrets spilled this evening!”

Rarity raised an eyebrow. “You’re drunk as well. That hardly inspires confidence.”

“Bah,” Rainbow Dash said, spinning around in her chair. “Whatever. Point is, we had quite the party.”

“The point is not to draw attention!” Rarity hissed at Pinkie.

“It wasn’t my party,” Pinkie said with her tongue lolling out, “but it sure was fun!”

Rarity was about to object further - it wasn’t a good idea to go against what they’d been told after all - but then she remembered that she was going to do the same. “…Never mind, as long as you were careful.”

“We burned the bar down,” Rainbow Dash said.

“WHAT!?” Rarity shouted at the top of her lungs. Her heart began to race in panic - this was disastrous in so many ways. There was no way Twilight and the Inspectors would turn a blind eye to that - they were going to get ousted from the town, or locked away in some basement… Or worse...

Rainbow Dash and Pinkie burst into hearty laughter. “We’re kidding, Miss Shard!” Pinkie managed through her giggling. “The bar is fine. Didn’t even tell them my name, Dashie paid for everything.”

“Hey, Pinks, think you can stock up the stand with some strong drink?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“I dunno. We’ll have to find out.”

Rarity rolled her eyes in exasperation. “Really… First day working and you go out and party?”

“Oh, we worked as well,” Pinkie said. “I think you can see the entire town from the Overlook.”

“Can I lick it yet?” Rainbow Dash chuckled.

“No, Dashie, patience, patience.”

Rarity shook her head. “I think it’s time for Rainbow to leave before she drives our neighbors insane. Some are probably trying to sleep.”

“Buck you too,” Rainbow Dash responded.

Pinkie giggled. “She’s right Dashie, you need to go home. We have real work tomorrow!”

“Did I mention I hate working?”

“Yes. Many times.” Pinkie grabbed the wheelchair and rolled Rainbow Dash out into the hallway. “See you tomorrow!”

“Likewise, Pinks! Stay bucky!”

“Stay preeny!” Pinkie said, shutting the door. “So, Rarity, how was your day?”

“Iris. I’m Iris now. You were good in the hall, but you should probably still call me that in private, just to be safe.”

“Fine… So, Iris, how was your day?”

“Odd. There was the normal business of setting up shop, which was amazing, but not really the focus of the day. Did you know the Applejack here is an activist? One of the leaders of the Movement - the mingler side.”

“Oooooh! No, I did not know that! What’s she like?”

“Surprisingly almost exactly like the Applejack we know, down to the hat. It’s uncanny.”

“Weird. Rainbow Dash isn’t like the one at home at all.”

Rarity raised an eyebrow. “No, really?”

“Really! She’s perhaps even louder here, and a lot less sure of herself. Stubbornness is the same though. Every bit of it - she’s also delightfully rude!”

“Pinkie, rude isn’t a virtue.”

“But it’s fun!”

“You’re drunk.”

“Eh, yeah, probably, definitely,” Pinkie laughed. “But she’s still fun to be around, and isn’t mean about it like all the others.”

“Still, I think she could stand to clean that mouth of hers.”

Pinkie shrugged. “Yeah, I suppose. I had a lot of fun today though! The Falls are amazing, and much louder when you’re that close! It’s deafening! But the caverns are so cool! There’s one you can’t see the end of, and one made out of magic crystals! And there’s a place where you can see the entire town below you!”

“That does sound rather impressive.”

“Ah, there’s this wonderful mare there, Quartzite, who’s soooo smart! I mean, she shocked both of us at cards!”

“…Weren’t you supposed to be working?”

“Only one tour came by today, the rest of the time I decorated the place and played games! It was amazing!”

“Well, glad your day was great. Mine was… more stressful. I did more than just decorate the shop and see Applejack. There’s another part of the Movement that’s rather terrifying - their leader is some dastardly zebra named Amplify who just screams violence and hatred. We were lucky Applejack was there.”

“So that’s how you met her!”

“Yes,” Rarity paused for a moment, thinking about the other things that happened.

“What is it?”

“I… Was given an invitation to a minger meeting. I think I’m going.”

“…Didn’t the Inspector say-“

“Yes, I know, we were told not to. But I can’t just pretend like nothing’s wrong, Pinkie, I can’t.”

Pinkie put a hoof on Rarity’s shoulder. “Then don’t. Go, I won’t tell anyone. I should-“

“No, Pinkie, you always draw attention. I should go alone.”

Pinkie sighed, sitting down on her bed. “I understand… I just want to be there to help you.”

“Then be here, right here, when I come back so we can talk. I’ll need these discussions with you in the days ahead… …Come to think of it that’s another thing the Inspector said…”

“Inspector Rarity,” Pinkie said, “quite the unicorn.”

“She unnerves me,” Rarity admitted.

“Why? She’s nice enough - bit grumpy towards me, but you know, that’s the way things are here.”

“It’s like looking at myself, Pinkie - I can tell it’s me. I can see the soul and depth behind her eyes, and I can identify with them. But there’s this exterior that’s in the way… Invisible, but distorting what I see - like a warped, or broken, mirror.”

“You know she’s not you right?”

“Yes. No. Maybe?” Rarity sighed. “She’s what I would be if I lived here my whole life. I always liked to think I’d be generous and caring no matter what happened to me. But looking at her, I don’t see that. I see calculation, intellect, and logic. I don’t see any of the artist in her… I… am I making any sense?”

“Well, I’m drunk as a skunk, so don’t take my word for it, but I think I get what you’re saying. It’s like you thought no matter what, you’d have been a party pony, but now you see that it might not have been the best thing for you in the first place. Like that?”

“…Close enough,” she said, hugging Pinkie close. “We have to watch out for each other.”

“Don’t worry! We will!”

~~~

Twilight, Fluttershy, and Minuette strode into the grand meeting hall. Amethyst was already seated at the long, reddish wooden table, a stack of folders in front of her that she was sifting through intently. Minuette recognized several of the other Generals seated before her - Spitfire, one of the few pegasus Generals; Quota, a gray unicorn stallion who was known for his brutality; Lemon, the deceptively small and adorable unicorn who would bite your face off with her unnatural sharp teeth if you weren’t careful; and a handful of others who weren’t as important. The end of the table opposite Minuette was empty, with three seats reserved for Sunset’s company from Nova.

Twilight sensed Minuette getting nervous, and briefly put a hoof on her shoulder to remind her she wasn’t alone. Twilight retracted the hoof quickly, so nopony would see or notice it. The Princess sat down, Minuette and Fluttershy at her sides. She glanced at Fluttershy, nodding. “We will begin as soon as the Nova delegation arrives.”

“That would be now,” a unicorn stallion in fiery red armor said, walking in a set of double doors. To his side was a mare in similar armor, though atop her helmet she wore a military hat. They took their seats at either side of the table’s end - and only then did Sunset herself walk in. For a brief moment, the alicorn was in full aura, her mane and tail cracking like fire, her eyes as bright as the sun - but she cleared the aura the moment she entered, returning to a relatively normal state, no larger than Twilight. Her mane was curved and colored with red and yellow stripes, accompanying her intense, fiery eyes. Her expression was stern, wise, and judgmental. Her powerful gaze hovered on Minuette longer than was comfortable.

Twilight smiled. “Welcome, Sunset.”

“Thank you for having me,” she said, sitting down. “Let us begin.”

Fluttershy cleared her throat. “Let it be known, that at 10:50 tonight a meeting to discuss the Concretion War convened. The meeting was presided over by their Highnesses, Princess of Harmony Twilight Sparkle, and Princess of Hope Sunset Shimmer. The purpose is to discuss the ramifications of the war, other dimensions, and who to win the conflict.”

“Thank you, Ambassador,” Sunset said. “Nova has not had any direct conflict yet, though we have met many forces in nearby territories.”

“We’ve had no conflicts as of now,” Twilight said. “We have Canterlot to thank for drawing their attention.”

“That won’t last forever,” Amethyst added. “The Concretes are notoriously quick at organizing themselves and crafting new strategies.”

Sunset nodded. “Fluttershy, I understand you were in Canterlot recently?”

Fluttershy nodded. “Barely escaped with my life, Princess. I arrived before the attack, expecting a routine visit. I ended up getting snuck out by a stealth contingent. I was the only survivor of that endeavor.”

“What are the conditions inside Canterlot?” Quota asked, brow furrowed.

Twilight and Sunset shot each other knowing glances but made no comment. Fluttershy cleared her throat. “Ponies are dying by the dozen. Both Princesses were fighting admirably and were very much alive when I was there, but I could see the concern in their eyes - they knew their defenses would eventually be worn down.”

“Our experts have predicted they will last a month under siege, maximum,” Sunset offered. “Canterlot was not designed for brutal war like Nova was.”

“How about the Concretion?” Spitfire asked. ”Surely we’ve considered attacking them?”

Minuette nodded to herself - here was a mare speaking her language.

Twilight furrowed her brow, glancing at Fluttershy. “The truth is we lack the force or numbers to make a direct attack. Unlike our ponies, all of theirs will fight to the dying breath, and any earth soldiers of ours will be rendered useless within a few hours of Nightmare Fuel exposure.”

“Why does that matter? They’re useless anyway,” Lemon spat.

“You may wish to recall that they’re only useless if you let them be,” Amethyst said. Lemon only grumbled in response.

“Regardless…” Twilight continued. “We lack the means to make a direct assault on such a large target. And unlike us, they won’t stop fighting if their leaders are taken out of the picture. Their hatred of us is more primal than that - a drive to destroy magic wherever possible. That is, unless Nova has any strategies for attacking the Concretion directly?”

“Many have been proposed,” Sunset said. “However, none have come even close to approval. The best plan we came up with involved putting all four of us Princesses in danger, and it is highly likely at least one of us would perish in the operation.”

“A last resort then.”

“Very much so.”

Quota spoke up. “Do we have any perceived weaknesses in their culture? Any way to break them from the inside? Twist them from within… unconventionally?”

“There are a few…” Twilight paused for a moment - presumably to consult with Fluttershy. “We are certain that once they have no ‘enemy’ to unite against, they will fall apart, much like the zebras after the changelings were defeated.”

“That doesn’t help us now, Princess,” Quota pointed out.

“No, it’s just an important observation needed to understand them. Comparable with their hatred of magic - which makes us the enemy - is their obsession with all things technological and progressive. If we can threaten that somehow, or offer them some progress, even if it is an illusion, it may pacify or distract them.”

“Please,” Spitfire grunted, “they’ve got all the tech they need. Not even Griffonstone could compete. Plus, since when do we have, much less use, tech of any kind?”

“It’d be blasphemy,” Lemon reminded everypony.

“You asked for weaknesses in their culture,” Twilight responded. “Unless we can find some way to deactivate their technology and destroy their edge, I don’t see much else in what we can do besides attack and defend as hard as we can. Their society is stable and regulated to such a heavy extent that disorder is minimized. They may be extremely violent, but all attempts to turn them on each other previously have failed. They are a strong coherent group, unlike us.”

“The evils and sins of progress do offer much strength…” Quota said.

Sunset nodded. “For now, we will not be able to attack them directly, at least with our current forces. We will need to get creative. That being said, we seem to have shifted to the third topic of discussion rather than the second. Before we continue discussing solutions, we ned to discuss the development that caused the war in the first place - and how it is related to our current situations and actions.

Twilight closed her eyes and took in a breath - Minuette gulped. Here it went. They all knew this was going to be rather difficult. Twilight opened her mouth and began. “Several days ago, two mares from another world entirely appeared in our world just outside the Concretion, Pinkie Pie and Rarity Belle. They had no knowledge of Concretes or the Concretion, and so entered what appeared to them as the only sign of civilization. This alerted the Concretes to their existence. While thanks to Commander Minuette, the two of them were able to escape, the Concretes still laid waste to one of our military camps, almost assuredly because they were looking for the two mares.”

“Why would the Concretes want them?” Sunset asked.

Twilight knew they were walking on thin ice now. “Scientific curiosity is what we guessed at first, but we’re pretty sure it’s more than that. Pinkie Pie appears to be a sort of alternate version of the high profile concrete member Diane, so it may be personal in nature. Furthermore, Pinkie exhibits abilities on a level beyond anything any earth pony should be capable of - as if she can control magic.”

Yep - the entire room broke out into yelling. MInuette honestly hadn’t expected anything less.

Sunset looked at Twilight, then Fluttershy, then Minuette. To Minuette’s credit, her face gave no indication of the ohshitohshitohshitohshit that was going on inside her head. Sunset then proceeded to take in a deep breath. “ORDER!”

Lemon’s muzzle twitched. “I’m sorry Princess, but this is utter bullshit! There’s no way a pigger can bend magic!”

“You calling Soarin’ and the Princesses a liar?” Spitfire challenged.

“Zebras have displayed curious magic manipulation,” Quota said.

“Zebra’s aren’t earths!” another General yelled.

“And pegasi aren’t unicorns, and I've got that fire trick!” Spitfire spat. “Doesn’t matter that she’s a bucking lowlife earth, idiots. She has a power, and it’s something that has the Concretes interested in us, enough to start a war.”

“Offer to hand them over,” Quota said. “Or, if we doubt they’ll honor negotiation, threaten to kill the two of them.”

“Killing them is not on the table,” Twilight said, knowing Minuette was an instant from blowing up in front of the entire meeting.

“We can still use them - particularly Pinkie - as a bargaining chip,” Sunset suggested. “We’ll have no intention of actually handing her over, but we can use it to buy time.”

“Possibly,” Twilight said, pausing. “But wouldn’t that tell them we know about them? As of now, the Concretes have no idea where the two of them are, or if we are even aware of their existence. If we tell them anything, they instantly know we have them either here or Nova. The focused attack they launch will be devastating - the chances are high they’d be able to extract their targets despite our best efforts.”

Sunset turned to Fluttershy, eyes narrowed. “Fair enough. What has been done with the two of them?”

“Rarity is now living as Iris Shard, as we have her working a small clothing store in town since that was her job in her world. Her appearance has been altered so she is not mistaken for Inspector Rarity Belle. Pinkie Pie has been assigned to work as a tour guide the Caverns since it was the best fit for her interpersonal and energetic personality that wasn’t out in the open.”

Quota raised an eyebrow. “Having an earth like that out in public eye can’t be safe.”

“It isn’t. We have her disguised as a unicorn with a broken horn.”

There was a lot of shouting after this - but all the voices were drowned out by Lemon’s. “The Tartarus? You have one of them looking like us?! Have you lost your mind!?”

“What else do you recommend I do? Her powers make it almost impossible to lock her away, and we can’t have her dying on us!”

“Lobotomize her or something!”

Quota smirked. “Now there’s an idea.”

“You fail to understand her personality, Quota,” Twilight said. “She’s a hyperactive individual with powers that make her nigh-invulnerable. She helped take down a drone with only her Rarity and Commander Minuette here to help.”

Minuette smiled proudly as murmurs spread across the table.

“So… You’re telling me... You can’t just have her go live on one of those bucking farms, or safe houses, or anything, no, you have to give her a horn!?” Lemon slammed her hooves on the table.

“I would rather have her on our good side, General Lemon.”

Lemon took the hint and shut up.

“Tell us about their world,” Quota prompted.

Twilight nodded, gathering the various thoughts together. “There are no Concretes or Nightmare Fuel. Equestria is a populous nation, one of the major powers of the land. The changelings still exist to the south, and the zebras are tribal, but not corrupted. The Crystal Empire is part of Equestrian territory, and to the north the Yaks actually made a country. Across the sea, Griffonstone is a recently-recovering wreck, and the dragons actually formed a stable society over in this Otherworld. Which scares me just as much as it scares you, but apparently, they, like all the major nations now, are allies.”

“Peculiar,” Amethyst said, hoping to move on before any pony asked for more information.

“I want more specifics about this other Equestria…” Quota asked.

Dammit, Minuette thought.

Twilight took in a long breath - taking a moment to receive the rapid influx of thoughts. Twilight nodded involuntarily. “First off, Canterlot exists in much the same way it is in our world. There are also no such thing as purges, which means there are many cities in the other Equestria.” She could feel the hate from that remark. “And while not as into it as the Concretes, from what I've heard their technology level is about that of our griffons.”

Once again - mad shouting.

“ORDER!” Sunset yelled once more.

Quota cleared his throat as silence fell. “So, let me get this straight. They’re techno too?”

“Not them,” Twilight said. “Rarity is a seamstress and Pinkie Pie is a party planner slash baker.”

Quota looked like he was going to ask one question, but changed his mind and asked another at the last minute. “How did they get here?”

“By their scientists performing tests on Pinkie’s powers.”

Minuette didn’t need Twilight’s mind reading ability to know what the next question was.

“And who were these scientists?”

“…The only recognizable name was their version of Doctor Whooves,” Twilight lied. “None of the others meant anything.”

Sunset’s eyes narrowed slightly, but the others gave no indication of suspicious. “No Concretes, eh? Really?” Lemon said.

“Their Doctor Whooves retains his earth pony essence, and has not invented any drones.”

‘What does he do then?”

Twilight searched her mind, furrowing her own brow. “I’m… Not sure exactly. Rarity and Pinkie didn’t really know anything he invented besides ‘flameless fireworks,’ a recreational device used for festival displays. Other than that… They're pretty sure he studies time, though what he does with it is anypony’s guess.”

Quota nodded. “As suspicious as expected. Can’t say I’m surprised.”

“Nor I,” Sunset affirmed. “Tech is always dangerous. Regardless, talking about their world further helps us little, unless I am mistaken.”

Twilight shrugged. “There is a possibility Pinkie and Rarity’s friends and family successfully establish a portal here, searching for them. But we can’t make plans around that.”

“Other than keeping the two of them alive so this other world owes us,” Sunset said, looking upwards. “Now… How do we turn the tables in this war?”

Lemon slammed her hoof down. “Force the populace to fight!”

“Draft is already in place, Lemon.”

“I mean more of them! Get those stupid buckers out of their pig-homes and shove them onto the front lines! We could draw so much fire!”

“Lemon, did you ever study tactics?” Spitfire spat.

“You all have tactics based around the idea that our enemy will think and act like us! The entire school needs to be re-thought!”

“Simply forcing unwanteds to fight helps us not, Lemon,” Quota said. “Though your point stands.”

“Teleport,” Amethyst said. “We could perform a mass teleport right into their city, and spread out.”

Twilight shook her head. “Even I can’t perform a transport with large enough numbers for that.”

“Deploy everything from Nova in one fiery assault!” Spitfire yelled.

“We are not leaving Nova undefended,” Sunset said.

“Stealth team,” Quota began. “Get them into a drone control facility. Capture one of the high scientists and mentally condition them to cooperate.”

“Possible…” Twilight admitted. “But we lack intel on where we’d need to be.”

It was at this moment Minuette got an idea. Twilight nodded, indicating her approval to go ahead. Minuette cleared her throat. “Could we get a spy in there? Do something like with the fake horn spell, but in reverse? Say, remove a pegasus’s wings, send them in to do recon, and see if they can learn anything.”

Quota laughed at this - and Minuette bristled in response. Was this General making fun of her? Why she’d show him a thing or two…

Twilight put a hoof on Minuette, steadying her, indicating to MInuette that this response was expected.

Quota turned to Lemon, grinning. “So, how many times are we going to have to suggest this before somepony bites it? Huh? It’s a great plan, something they’d never see coming!”

“No!” Lemon stated with a flatness that indicated a dangerous level of tranquil fury. “Just. No. We will not subject a pegasus or unicorn to that torment.”

“The Concretion has been known to take in earths,” Amethyst said.

“We know,” Spitfire said. “Still not going to happen. I won’t be part of that. We will not stoop to their defiance of nature. You all talk about not stooping to their level - we would become just as blasphemous as them.”

Sunset frowned. “In that case... I have a suggestion.” She looked Twilight right in the eye. “You go to the Crystal Empire and negotiate a military alliance against the Concretion.”

There were many muffled gasps heard around the table.

Sunset continued, “Sombra knows he’s liked even less than we are - he knows he’s next on the Concrete’s list. He just needs somepony to tell him we’re willing to put aside the past.”

Twilight bristled slightly, silent for almost a full minute, the room holding its collective breath in anticipation. Twilight nodded. “Fine, I will travel to the Crystal Empire on a diplomatic mission to render military aid in the war.”

“Good,” Sunset said. “Unless anyone else has any suggestions?”

Judging from the stunned looks, nopony had any - Minuette was just confused. She knew the Crystal Empire was bad news, but the enemy of my enemy was an ally, right? What was the problem?

Sunset looked around the table. “In that case, the meeting is at a close. We are to secure a military alliance with the Crystal Empire and leave the two Otherworlders where they are for now. At the moment, we keep them safe and fight this war. Dismissed.” The Generals all got up and left quickly, wishing to get away from the intense staring match between the two alicorns. Soon, there were only six ponies in the room, the two Princesses and their aides.

Twilight spoke first. “Clever.”

“It had to be you,” Sunset responded.

“I know, I’m the diplomat. I still hate him.”

Sunset let out a huff. “Have Fluttershy speak through you then, it’s basically what you do anyway.” There was a hint of venom to her voice that hadn’t been there during the meeting.

“We are a team,” Fluttershy insisted.

“Effective, but ripe to be exploited,” Sunset said, leaning in towards Fluttershy. “What’s it like in the Concretion?”

What?! Minuette thought.

“Oh,” Twilight said, looking at Minuette apologetically. “We have a... informant in the Concretion. I always want more - ones more loyal to us - but we can’t do that with all the opposition you saw. We keep trying though.”

“You would do well to inform your aides more effectively,” Sunset observed.

“She’s only been here a day.”

“Excuses. Fluttershy, answer my question.”

Fluttershy bowed slightly. “The Concretion is unanimously in favor of this war, even though they don’t know what started it. Diane made it personal, something about Pinkie set off a fuse in her. It was her actions alone that incited the war, a war the Concrete Council wasn’t ready to declare - they had been planning for it, yes, but the accelerated schedule has annoyed them. Beyond that, they’re preparing to launch a new class of drone, one that is designed specifically for war.”

Sunset nodded. “Nothing useful then?”

“No. Our source has been unsuccessful in learning about the Concreation’s more secret projects, aside from the fact that the mysterious ‘Project M’ was completed recently, days before the war started.”

“Specific...” Sunset said, letting out a sarcastic chuckle. She stopped short, looking at Twilight with soft eyes. “...I really hope you know what you’re doing here.”

Twilight steeled look softened instantly. “I do too Sunset, I do too.”

Sunset paused to look closely at Minuette. “You were in Cartwheel.”

“...Yes, Princess.”

“That can’t have been easy for you.”

Minuette couldn’t help herself. “What part? Almost losing my mind, having a town turn on me, or almost getting burnt to a crisp?”

Sunset smiled at Minuette’s brashness. “Keep this one Twilight. She has fire.” And then Sunset turned tail, not pausing to look back.

Minuette blinked. “...What?”

Twilight let out a soft chuckle. “That’s Sunset. Sometimes she’s great, others a pain. Hit or miss, really. But we’re done here, Minuette - so get some sleep. I’ll answer all those swirling questions in the morning.”

Minuette nodded and then yawned. “Yes... Princess...”