• Published 12th Apr 2017
  • 1,848 Views, 189 Comments

Broken Mirror - GMBlackjack



When an experiment with Pinkie's powers go wrong, Pinkie and Rarity are sucked into a world where things are drastically different.

  • ...
8
 189
 1,848

X - Setting Out

>>There once was a person who had a simple job - push buttons at the button factory. The work was so beyond pointless that it dulled his brain to the intelligence of a rather bright eggplant, but he did his job dutifully, pressing that button every second or so without fail, for years.

Then, out of the blue, a new employee was hired who had the absolutely amazing idea to press ten buttons at once. The original worker was annoyed, but he got to keep pushing his button, so despite his ire towards the new employee’s superior operation, he decided to ignore it with all his might so it wouldn’t affect him.

And then the new employee suggested that the old one start pushing more buttons at once. He even offered to show him how to do it in a way that’d make it easy.

The new employee was found dead in a ditch the following morning.<<

~~~

Minuette pressed her ears to the back of her head as she approached the Falls - tourists actually braved this noise just for the sake of looking at some caves? How was there even a profit from the tourist service? Shaking her head to clear it, she walked up to the entrance, shivering slightly. She leaned on the entrance, panting. Quartzite looked up from her book and pointed at the rates with a wing.

Minuette opened her mouth to say something but realized that’d probably be pointless since she couldn’t hear anything over the intense noise. Quartzite saw her confusion, passing Minuette the note that said ‘I can read lips.’

Minuette supposed that made sense, how else was anypony supposed to communicate here? Through writing? “I was wondering, is Pinkie in?”

Quartzite nodded but made no further motions.

“...Can you let me in to see her?”

Quartzite pointed at the rates again.

“Buck no, I’m not here for a tour! I’m not paying for it, you pree-” she stopped herself. “...Look, I’m here to see Pinkie, nothing more.”

She pointed at the rates again with an annoyingly innocent smile.

Minuette growled. “Do you see this hat? I’m a commander! Twilight’s personal commander! You better let me in right this instant!”

She pointed at the rates again, unfazed. Perhaps even a little amused.

Minuette grunted and threw some bits on the counter. “Fine.”

Quartzite gladly took the bits and gave Minuette a ticket. She then opened the counter and directed the Commander to the curtains.

Grumpy and annoyed, Minuette entered the curtains and beheld the interior of Neighagra Caverns. With the sound muffled enough to be bearable, she could appreciate how amazingly festive everything looked. There was a giant circle of stands, each filled with different kinds of food and decorated with balloons and glitter of all colors. A rainbow pegasus was wheeling around from stand to stand, with a hat on her head with the words “Snack Shack” printed on it. To the side of the circle of snacks, there was a large green and pink striped station labeled ‘tours.’ A bored looking pale yellow unicorn sat there, her mane dropping to the floor.

“Hello!” Minuette yelled over the din.

At this remark the mare shot bolt upright, grinning in anticipation. “Hello! Welcome to the wondrous Neighagra Caverns! Give me your ticket so we may start the tour!”

“Not here for a tour, looking for Pinkie Pie!”

“Oh...” Minuette couldn’t hear the unicorn’s sigh, but she could see the excitement drain out of the mare, replaced with distaste. “She’s giving a tour right now! She’ll be back soon! You can buy snacks over there until she comes back!”

“Okay!” Minuette yelled, trotting over to the snack carts.

“Hello and welcome to the Circle of Snacks, the Snack Shack!” The pegasus shouted, wheeling into the center of the circle. “What can I get ya, Minuette!? Hard lemonade!?”

“You know who I am!?”

“You’re one of the ponies Pinks won’t shut up about! Glad to meetcha, runter. I’m Rainbow Dash!”

Minuette glared. “What the Tartarus did you just call me!?”

“Oh my bucking damn, you are an uptight accas! Get over it! They’re just words, missy-mare!”

Minuette blinked in confusion. “...What?”

“Still confused, I see! Eh, you’ll come around eventually, see the way of the Dash! Takes a while to figure out your place in this mess!”

“I...” Minuette glanced back at the bored mare manning the tours cautiously.

“Farundael can’t hear us! Sound does not go very far here! Secrets are safe!”

“...You sure!?”

“Buckyberry, you’re a paranoid wreck aren’t you?! Relax! Have some of this... drink that I’m like 90% sure is alcoholic!”

Minuette took a drink and sniffed it - the scent of apples wafted into her nostrils. She took a swig and found that it was absolutely delicious.

“That’ll be five bits!”

“Hey! You gave it to me!”

“Didn’t say it was free did I!?” Rainbow Dash lounged back in her wheelchair with the most annoying smirk plastered on her face.

MInuette glared. “Not giving you five bits!”

“Well, then I can just throw you out and not tell Pinks you were here!”

Minuette looked at the wheelchair. “I doubt you could!”

“Good point! What are the chances a cripple like myself could take out a Commander!?”

“Slim as a jim!” Minuette coughed. “Yelling is hard!”

“You get used to it! Or if you’re Pinks, it just doesn’t matter!”

“She make all this food!?”

“Pulled right out of her mudder mane! She says she’ll be putting down carpets and lights when she has time!”

“Sounds like she’s fitting in well!”

“Every tourist seems to think so as well - oh look over there!”

Coming out of a tunnel was a group of tourists - about six ponies in total, all unicorns. One of them was a young filly Pinkie had on her back - both were laughing, and the entire tour was smiling. Pinkie gently put the filly down and brought out her megaphone. “Sorry folks! That’s the whole tour! If you need refreshments, the Circle of Snacks has a gift shop in it in addition to all the saliva-inducing food! Leave through the curtains you entered whenever you want! Come again soon!”

The ponies nodded and said a few things - presumably thanks, and walked out of the cavern without so much as a glance at the Snack Shack’s Circle of Snacks. Pinkie quickly bounced into the booth, landing right next to Farundael. “Hey, Farun! How’s it hanging?”

Farundael glared at Pinkie for a second before looking away.

“Oh come on Farun! Be happier! It’d help you do your tours!”

Farundael muttered something inaudible but presumably insulting.

Pinkie frowned. “Farundael... You need to at least try more if you want ponies to enjoy your tours! Smile! Be bombastic! come up with interesting anecdotes on the fly! Act amazed yourself! There is so much you could do! I can even help you!”

“Go to Tartarus.” Pinkie didn’t need to hear that to understand what it meant. She sighed, dropping out of the stand, head down.

Minuette taped her on the shoulder. Pinkie brightened the moment she saw her. “Minuette! Why are you here!?”

“Wanted to drop by and see what you were up to!”

“I’m doing this!” She leaped on top of the ‘oturs’ stand and grinned. “Want a tour!?”

“Nah, I don’t have that much time.”

“Shame! She’s really good at it!” Rainbow Dash yelled.

“I have no doubt in my mind, eh Pinkier?”

“Yep! I’m also sprucing this place up! Going to transform it from the boring hole it was to a real party zone!”

“Buck yes!”

“I’ll drink to that!” Rainbow Dash laughed, swiping Minuette’s drink and chugging the rest of it before Minuette could do anything.

“Anyway... Uh, Pinkie!” Minuette glanced at Farundael for a moment. “Got some more... Private business to talk over with you!”

“Oooooh gotcha! You’ve got the station, Farun!”

Farundael shot Pinkie a death glare but said nothing. Pinkie looked sad for a moment but quickly recovered, bouncing out into the open, dragging Minuette and Rainbow Dash a ways away.

“Why is she so peeved with you?” Minuette shouted.

“I think it’s because I'm better at the job than she is! And she won’t let me help her! I’m really not sure what to do!”

“Let her stew. She’ll get over it!” Rainbow Dash suggested. “Not like she’s a great pony anyway, the accas!”

Minuette twitched. “...Anyway, I’m going to be leaving soon! Twilight’s taking me to negotiations with the Crystal Empire!”

Rainbow Dash performed a spit-take. “The Tartarus?! She agreed to go!?”

“...Yes? Why’s that weird?!”

“Sombra killed her brother and sister-in-law that’s what’s bucking weird!”

Pinkie shook her head. “Sombra exists here? You didn’t defeat him?”

“Yet another reason our world sucks!” Rainbow Dash threw her hooves wide. “O great Pinks, what superiority will you reveal next!?”

Minuette sighed. “Well, Twilight’s going to recruit his armies for the war! The fight isn’t going well!”

Pinkie nodded. “Good luck Minuette!”

“Pinkier, I don’t need luck, I got skills! Look at my new hat!”

Rainbow Dash groaned. “Of all the stupid, asinine...”

Minuette looked at Rainbow Dash oddly - she didn’t understand the impaired pegasus. She wasn’t used to one of her race talking to her like this outside the army. It felt... unnatural - not as unnatural as Pinkie, but still.

“Oh look!” Pinkie yelled. “Another batch of tourists! ...Eh, Farundael can handle them!”

“Are you kidding?!” Rainbow Dash shouted. “In her state, she’d do worse than usual!”

“Feel like I should let her do it though...”

“Just go with her!” Minuette suggested. “Help her if she needs it!”

“Good idea! Thanks, Minuette!” She bounced back to FArundael, smiling. Farundael looked distraught at the incoming pink fluff.

“Well, later runter!” Rainbow Dash shouted.

“...Later!” Minuette responded, trotting towards the curtains. That Rainbow was an odd duck to be sure. She’d have to ask Pinkie about her later. Specifically ab-

The full sound of the Falls hit her the moment she exited the curtains, stopping her thought process cold. She folded her ears back as quickly as she could manage - but she’d already gotten a headache from the sharp volume increase. She ran away from the Falls as fast as possible. Quartzite watched as she left, still smiling.

~~~

“What is the Crystal Empire like here?” Rarity asked Minuette while she measured the Commander’s proportions.

“Never been there,” Minuette said. “I hear it’s pretty brutal though. Everypony’s life is absolute shit and they’re powerless to stop Sombra’s magic.”

“I suppose I never did get to see what the Crystal Empire was under Sombra’s rule... Twilight - my Twilight - would know, but she didn’t tell me much of what she saw.”

Minuette raised an eyebrow. “Thought you beat the ever-loving shit out of him before he could win?”

“We did. Twilight ended up in another... er... time, yes, let’s go with that. In this time, Sombra had won and was warring with Equestria. Twilight told of a war-torn landscape that hadn’t seen peace in years... Of a world ruled by war...” She looked far into the distance. “Things are only going to get worse the longer this goes on, Minuette.”

“Hence why we need to negotiate an alliance,” Minuette grunted. “Not that I’m happy allying with a slave-driver.”

“Your society treats earth ponies as slaves in all but name. Even here.”

“...Fair enough.”

“I have no doubt he’s an evil individual, Minuette, but perhaps you shouldn’t be so against the alliance. Perhaps it can let you help the Crystal Empire later.”

“Maybe. Still, we’re losing, and pretty badly. Canterlot’s barely holding out, and most other battles are resulting in a loss for us. Be careful Rarity - they’ll come here eventually.”

“Surely you’ll be able to stop them?”

“I hope so. I damn well hope so.” She glanced at the setting sun. “I’ll be leaving before sunrise tomorrow. See you in a few days.”

“You too,” Rarity waved. “I’ll have something to give you by then.”

“I’m telling you, nothing too froofy.”

“Not. Froofy. Got it. Bye!”

Rarity stood there for several minutes after Minuette had left, contemplative.

It was tonight. The meeting.

As the sun set and night fell, she wondered if she was really going. Was it worth the risk to her life to go? To see what this world had to offer? To see what she could do - if anything? If there really was hope?

She saw a unicorn push an earth pony down in the street outside, screaming obscenities at the terrified stallion. Rarity winced.

She was going all right.

She grabbed a dark cloak from the rack, exiting the shop through the back and locking up. She glanced left, then right, then trotted down the side of the street, head down. The night was silent, and few ponies were out. She headed towards the place Lily had told her to go, a feeling of exhilaration flooding her body. She really wasn’t supposed to be doing this, and it was such a risk. And for whatever reason, that felt good right now. A smirk crossed her face - screw the Inspectors and the horrors of this world, she would make a stand.

“Hey, pigger! What’re you doing out this late? Lost? Don’t know the farms from the city?”

Rarity sighed, lifting a nearby pebble with her magic and tossing it behind her. The pegasus who had been yelling at her tensed before flying away. “Ponies should learn not to make assumptions...” Rarity muttered to herself, turning down Fourth Street. The place looked run down - presumably a part of Neighagra Falls with a large earth pony population. She walked up to the abandoned brown building to her left and knocked. The door opened, revealing a familiar face - Lily. “Glad you could make it,” she said. “It’s Iris Shard, add her to the approved list, with a pending marker.” Lily opened the door the rest of the way, inviting Rarity in. A blue stallion scribbled something in a book, presumably the name ‘Iris Shard.’

Lily turned to Rarity with a smile. “The actual meeting location is elsewhere, we’ll have to teleport to it. Is that fine with you?”

“I've been in my fair share of teleports, dear, I’ll be fine.” She walked around the room, removing her hood. “Who are you, by the way?” She asked the stallion.

“Mink. That’s what everyone calls me, anyway.” He lit his horn. “Did you invite anyone else, Lily?”

“Not this week,” Lily answered. “Let’s go.”

Then they were somewhere else. When the flash of blue light cleared, the abandoned shack was gone, replaced by a large stone basement lit with ceiling-mounted magic crystals. There were a few hundred ponies trotting around - most in dark clothing, but there were a few who wore nothing like normal. She could see many earths, pegasi, and unicorns, though the unicorns were an obvious minority. What surprised her was that there were more than just ponies here - there was a bar, a band playing soothing music, a collection of bookshelves in one corner that made up a library, and there was even a corner with a few games. If she didn’t know better, she’d have said this was some kind of private club.

What struck her next were the expressions - ponies were smiling. She hadn’t seen so many genuine smiles in one place since she arrived in this world. A pegasus and an earth pony couple giggled, and a unicorn-pegasus duo were debating something in a box, and it looked like there were some foals playing buckball in the distance. One team in particular seemed rather familiar...

“Scootaloo, pass the darned ball next time!”

“Sweetie, come on, flying isn’t as easy as it looks!”

“Girls, come on, Ah think we can do it better! Just have fun!”

“My Stars...” Rarity said, putting a hoof to her mouth. Scootaloo was flying. And Sweetie Belle... Was right there. For a split second, Rarity saw her sister - but then Rarity noted the differences. The unkempt mane, the bruised nose, and the way she held herself higher, with more strength in her legs. That wasn’t Rarity’s sister - that was the Inspector’s sister. Somepony else...

Wait - if Sweetie Belle was here, that probably meant...

Rarity quickly put her hood back on and scanned the crowd. She saw her almost immediately - the Inspector, walking across the large hall alongside Rainbow Dash. Rarity knew the smart thing was to turn away and avoid them at all costs - but there was just something about the Inspector that made her unable to look away. Why was the Inspector here? She had been less than open to the minglers before... Unless - it had all been an act. It made sense, really, and if Rarity was honest with herself she had suspected as much before - the Inspector was good friends with Twilight, and had been released when Applejack had shown up, perhaps a bit too relieved...

As Rarity neared them, she could make out their conversation.

“...And Pinks would love it here! She’d just show up and turn it all into a big festive party! Food! Balloons! Games! Bucking games Rarity!”

The Inspector smiled, the rough exterior having seemingly vanished from her features. “I know. But she needs to be protected - I’m sorry Rainbow, as endearing as she is-”

“Yeah, yeah, I know damn well what it is. ‘Savior of the world’ or something.”

“Precisely.”

“Eh. ...What time are you going up, by the way?”

“Shortly. Soon as Applejack arrives.”

“Applebloom and Mac are already here, shouldn’t she...?”

“Eeyep,” Applejack said, walking up from behind them. “Ah’m here.”

The Inspector and Applejack embraced. “Nice to see you again Applejack - I mean really see you.”

“Aw, it’s nothin’,” Applejack responded. “I know you’re always watchin’.”

“Well, it is my profession.”

“Don’t Ah know it...”

The Inspector allowed herself to look pained. “Indeed...”

Rarity expected Rainbow Dash to blurt something out, as ponies like her were apt to do in situations like this, but she just looked sad as well.

“Stop it,” Fluttershy said, descending from above. “Rarity, you’ve more than redeemed yourself. It’s been years - you really need to move on. You’ve been forgiven.”

The Inspector hugged Fluttershy. “It’s so good to see you again. You... You hold us together.”

Fluttershy smiled. “I certainly try. Sadly, I have to leave tomorrow before dawn, but that’s not going to stop me from being here.” She looked around at those gathered, pride evident on her face. “Applejack, look at what we’ve done here. These ponies love each other. And it doesn’t hurt. There is harmony.”

“Ah really wish Twilight could attend these things...” Applejack said.

“One day, she’ll be able to,” the Inspector offered. “Until then, we need to be vigilant.”

“Shall we go up?” Fluttershy asked.

“Definitely,” the Inspector said.

“Yep!” Applejack grinned. “Let’s give them a show!” She bounded onto the stage and rammed her front hooves into a metal plate on the ground, creating a sound not unlike a ringing gong. “Hello! Good evening everypony! Having a good time?”

There was a chorus of ‘yeah!’s.

“Good! We’ll let you get back to that soon, Celestia knows we don’t get enough time to be ourselves, but we still need to have some talkin’ from time to time.”

The Inspector lifted herself onto the stage. “Definitely, but we still have things that need to be said. First, for any new members out there, you don’t need to be afraid. We’ll accept you for whatever you are, wherever you come from. Everyone is equal here - don’t be afraid. I understand this is a dramatic change for a lot of you - I was there myself once, and I had done many horrible things. But I still had a place here.” She glanced knowingly at Applejack. “I was shown forgiveness that I didn’t know existed. We can offer that to you as well, regardless of what you’ve done. Here, you can renew yourself.”

Applejack smirked. “Eeyep!” The two mares hoofbumped. “Now, just so you know, we meet here every week. If you want to invite somepony new, talk to your contact - the pony who brought you here. We’ve got a lot o’ resources for y’all, books are over there if you’re confused, and several ponies who can teach you how to keep your membership hidden are there as well. You can tell who they are by the white butterfly hairclips. Don’t be afraid to ask them questions - even ones that might be considered rude, they can handle it.”

The Inspector put a leg over Applejack. “Now, without further ado, our founder and Royal Ambassador, Fluttershy!”

The crowd erupted in stamping applause as Fluttershy drifted down from the ceiling, one of the butterfly hairclips in her mane, matching her single white butterfly cutie mark perfectly. She looked out at the crowd, spreading her wings wide. There was an inspiring air of power around her - but she also had a delicate smile that reminded Rarity of her Fluttershy. So kind, so soft, so understanding

“It’s good to be back,” she said, “and even though I am to leave again very soon, I couldn’t imagine not staying long enough to see you all again. This society has grown so so much, it fills my heart with warmth to see this - this harmony between ponies that exists almost nowhere else. Most of us thought we wouldn’t get this far. Most of us thought such a society would be pointless, that we would die defying the way things are. We were prepared to do so anyway, not wanting the world provided to us anymore. But we didn’t have to - we lived. We grew. More and more see where we come from. We made allies - we converted many. We made friends with our enemies. Those in high places gave us their blessing. Amazing ponies like the princess, General Amethyst...” She looked at the Inspector. “Rarity, and her coworkers...”

The Inspector bowed.

“We would not be where we are today without them. We can go out in public and speak. We can hold important positions in society We can live in a place where the Inspectors will defend us instead of turning a blind eye. I’m allowed to bring our message to far off lands. Speaking of which, I recently went to Griffonstone, and found something amazing. There are groups there, like this one, that help those ponies who flee Equestria to find a place in the griffon nation. They risk their lives taking ponies over the border from here and the Crystal Empire, getting them identification, and finding them jobs. And it just so happens that one of those griffons is with us here tonight. Before she comes on, I encourage you, just as you learned to love your fellow pony, do the same for her. She is just as amazing as you or me. Let’s give a warm welcome to Gabby!”

From behind the stage, a gray griffon poked out her head. “Uh... Hi?”

Many ponies looked concerned, and a few even frightened - but there was encouraging applause anyway. Gabby walked out the rest of the way to center stage and smiled. “You know, I was concerned this was going to go waaaaay south, but look at this! Look at us! all here in the same room without any hostility! Ohmygosh this is just amazing! You’re all great!” She waved her talons to the crowd, beaming.

Applejack cleared her throat. “Gabby will be mingling with the crowd afterwards. If y’all have any questions or ya’ need to get out of here, talk to her. She doesn’t bite - doesn’t even have teeth!”

There were chuckles from the crowd.

Fluttershy continued. “And the griffons aren’t all. There’s more out there, a place of real harmony I’ve recently learned about.” She smiled knowingly. “One might even call it a whole new world.” Rarity’s eyes widened - she wasn’t, was she? “I can’t say much about it now, but we have met two ponies who never knew of the divide. Two ponies who lived their whole lives like we do in this room without fear. Instead of this horrible war, let us dwell on that - there is a place of harmony somewhere out there. We can’t get to it now, but we know it exists, and it means that our mission is possible. We now know it can be done - before we thought we were nothing but wishful but thinking. But now...!” She spread her wings again, eyes watering, the biggest smile on her face. “Will will not always be a scared minority! We can find our place in this world! We can turn it around!”

Cheers erupted from the crowd, louder than before. Rarity found herself applauding as well, tears in her own eyes - Fluttershy was right, the mere fact that her world existed was proof that these ponies weren’t fighting for something impossible. Rarity knew why Fluttershy was doing what she was - she was giving her ponies the hope she herself had. Rarity found herself getting more and more hopeful, just knowing that Fluttershy and all these ponies were with them.

“I’d very much like to meet these two,” a voice rang out from the crowd. Everypony gasped as Amplify threw off his cloak, glaring Fluttershy right in the face.

“How the bucking Tartarus did you get here!?” Rainbow Dash screamed.”Get the buck out, zipper! You aren’t-”

Fluttershy held up a wing. “No, Rainbow. Let him. He’s aware of the same problem we are, even if his conclusions and methods are different. He has a say.”

Amplify raised an eyebrow. “I see the rumors of your kindness were not exaggerated.”

Fluttershy smirked. “You don’t found a groundbreaking movement by being complacent.”

“True... I suppose I was taken in by it myself...” He narrowed his eyes. “I want to meet them - these two ponies.”

“Perhaps when it is safer, after the war. They are in hiding right now, and for good reason. Ponies who don’t engage in our horrors get targets painted on them. Plus, you aren’t all that trustworthy.”

“How do I know you aren’t making it up then? You have to be excellent at doing that since you’ve managed to keep your identity a secret from the general public all this time.”

Fluttershy shrugged. “That’s true. I could be lying. I could, and I could easily get away with it. On the other hand, you could too. Lies are everywhere.”

“But my truthfulness isn’t being called into question, yours is. The word of a pegasus in bed with the government, somehow being both an activist icon and a mare of incredible power. You are a suspicious enigma, Fluttershy.”

Fluttershy shrugged. “That’s how it had to be. I lie often to protect my ponies, and keep myself out of the public eye - as do most of us.”

“I’d love to know what government secret you use to keep everypony from knowing who you are. Tech perhaps?”

Fluttershy just smiled knowingly at that. Rarity knew what it was - Twilight Sparkle herself. Apparently, Amplify had no idea.

“Regardless...” Amplify raised a hoof. “I don’t believe you. And anypony who does is an idealistic and brainless individual. Do you really think that somewhere in this world there’s a place that has harmony? Does it even seem possible? While you’re here, it might be. While you’re surrounded by a few hundred of your blasphemous kind, it almost seems normal. Like it should be...”

“That’s it!” Applejack yelled. “Amplify!”

Fluttershy raised a wing, silencing Applejack. She whispered something into her ear that made Applejack visibly shrink back.

Amplify continued with a determined expression. “Think ponies! This isn’t normal! How could it be? You have to lie on your surface all the time! You are taught to cover up your tracks, deceive, and cheat everypony around you - even your family! I don’t know about you, but that sounds wrong! If you object to me and my violence, why don’t you object to your own lies!?”

“We are working towards something greater,” Fluttershy said.

“There it is - motive! you need to have a goal to justify yourself! To live! To exist! Without that, you are nothing! That is why you would lie about these ponies - you need to keep your Movement together with a reason to exist - a tangible goal rather than an impossibility. These two ponies you speak of are nothing more than fabrications! They-”

“DO I LOOK LIKE A FABRICATION TO YOU!?” Rarity screamed, throwing off her cloak.

The entire basement fell silent. Applejack and the Inspector looked panicked. Fluttershy looked... intrigued. Rainbow Dash did a spit take.

Amplify looked at Rarity in disbelief. He could feel his entire speech falling to pieces around him. He knew, somehow, that the unicorn before him was exactly who she said she was. “...Who are you?”

Rarity seethed. “You know what? I think I’ll actually tell you. Rairty. Rarity Belle. Yes, that’s the same name as the mare up there on the stage, how does that fit into your tiny little worldview!?”

Amplify’s eye twitched. “It makes no sense.”

Rarity grinned. “Good! Now take this on for size - where I'm from, there is no racism! There is absolutely none among us ponies! I know dozens of earth ponies personally! And even a few zebras! And griffons! And even a couple dragons! On and that’s not all, I’ll have you know that my grandfather was an earth pony, and I am very proud of my heritage!” She snorted.

There were gasps throughout the crowd. Amplify said nothing, and Fluttershy smiled.

“You tell him Rarity!” Rainbow Dash yelled.

“Oh, I’m not even close to done yet! We don’t have Concretes at all! They don’t exist! We have many cities! there are no purges! Sombra was defeated by my friends!” She leaned in towards Amplify. “And there is no war. There hasn’t been any for centuries.”

“You could be lying,” he said.

“One of my best friends has a pet alligator with no teeth named Gummy. Another one works on a farm and makes jam out of magic apples. Another is a pegasus who does stunts as part of a show to entertain the masses. The rather uncreative name of my home is Ponyville. The name of a zebra I know is Zecora. She speaks in rhymes! Nothing but rhymes! Need any more details!?” She was breathing extremely heavily, sweating as she heaved.

He looked down at her. “...No.”

“Good. Then... Then stop attacking these ponies.” The anger went from her quickly. “Don’t keep what they’re trying to do from happening. It’s beautiful, what I see here. It reminds me of home - a home I can’t go back to. Please, look into yourself.” She smiled. “I’ll even welcome you.”

Something inside Amplify snapped in that moment. His collected guise vanished, replaced with a mad rage. “Avalnax Tenevos!” He yelled, raising a hoof. Rarity sensed impressive magic power collection around it, taking a step back in concern. She saw shadows spiral off his hoof, approaching her with dangerous intent...

“Nope,” Applejack said, bucking him in the side of the head. The Inspector followed this up by encasing Amplify’s hoof in crystal. The crowd’s unicorns shot their magic at him.

“Stay away!”

“You monster!”

“She offered you a welcome!”

“Bastard!”

Rainbow Dash wheeled herself next to Rarity. “You are the stupidest bitch I have ever met.”

Rarity saw Rainbow Dash’s huge grin and laughed. “Yes... Yes, I am.”

Amplify roared, surrounding himself with dark energy - and teleporting away.

Fluttershy grinned. “Another victory here today!” The crowd cheered.

Rarity was grinning - hoofbumping Rainbow Dash and various other ponies, her emotions soaring. They plummeted when she saw the Inspector and Applejack coming right for her. Their expressions told Rarity one thing - they weren’t happy. Rarity gulped.

“Do you have any idea how stupid that was!?” They shouted at the exact same time.

“Uh... not until I was already committed.”

“Gosh, you are crazy...” Applejack muttered.

“We’re going to have to... to...” The Inspector grabbed her man. “I don’t know! You were supposed to stay away for this very reason!”

“Sorry,” Rarity said.

“Don’t be,” Fluttershy said, landing next to her and placing a wing around her. “I could have handled him, but the seeds of doubt would have been placed. What you did here today was soundly defeat him. I would not have been able to get him to snap. You did good.”

Rainbow Dash laughed. “You bet she did!” Rarity yelped when Rainbow Dash slapped her on the back. “That was awesome!”

“Well... This is going to be a paperwork nightmare...” The Inspector said, examining the crowd. Despite herself, a smile crawled up her face. ”...But I guess this works... I can deal with it.”

Applejack put a hoof around the Inspector. “Ya sure can!”

Fluttershy smiled. “Now, I’m sure you can do that... But now, there are a lot of ponies who want to meet Rarity here. Are you okay with that?”

Rarity took in a deep breath. “Yes. I am.” She turned to look at the crowd surrounding her. “...Hello there....”