• Published 1st Apr 2017
  • 1,110 Views, 212 Comments

Quiververse Bonus Reel - EchoWing



All sorts of things go on behind the scenes of a story. Here's a glimpse of what happened during work on the Quiververse.

  • ...
1
 212
 1,110

Vignette Two - One Bad Apple

“And we figured out you were just doing it to avoid getting picked on in Ponyville. But by then, we were the ones being bullies, and…” Sweetie Belle threw up her hooves as her friends climbed out of the tub of soapy water and exclaimed, “Oh, why does life have to be so ironic?!”

Applejack raised an eyebrow as she threw towels over the other two Crusaders. “Don’t quite think you’re usin’ that word right, Sweetie Belle.” The unicorn filly emerged from the tub and got her own towel as the older mare continued, “Still, why didn’t ya’ll tell me what was goin’ on?”

“‘Cuz we didn’t wanna get stuck as snitches.” Apple Bloom bowed her head and added, “An’ it wasn’t like you were doin’ much about Diamond Tiara an’ Silver Spoon.”

“Ah wasn’t doin’ much about ‘em because Ah thought ya’ll were doin’ a pretty good job dealin’ with ‘em on yer own. Ya’ll have to fight yer own battles after all. Can’t rely on me or somepony else to help ya all the time.” She frowned and added, “That bein’ said, ya’ll shouldn’t be afraid to ask fer help neither. Now you three dry yerselves off, hmm?” She then turned to the remaining filly and curtly ordered, “Babs, you come with me.”

The Manehattan native kept silent as she followed her cousin into the nearby barn. How much of it was due to guilt for her actions, Applejack wasn’t sure, but she hoped that was the main reason. Because the alternative was anything but pleasant.

The barn door closed behind them, and Applejack turned her gaze upon the filly. “Ah’d ask what you were thinkin’ when you decided to give your cousin and her friends a hard time, but Ah’ve got a bad feelin’ Ah already know the answer to that question.”

“I…”

“No little filly, it ain’t your turn to talk. When Ah heard about the trouble you were havin’ back in Manehattan from Sunflower, Ah didn’t have reason to question it. Now, after hearin’ all’a this, Ah’m wonderin’ things that Ah’d rather not wonder about.” She gave the filly a hard glare and asked, “Now Ah want a simple yes or no answer outta you, Babs. Were you bein’ bullied back in Manehattan?”

“Yes!” the filly answered without hesitation.

Applejack pursed her lips. “An’ you expect me to believe that now?”

Babs’ ears drooped, and her head quickly followed. “No.”

The older mare huffed. “Well at least ya’ll have some smarts in that head’a yours.” She then sat down. “Alright filly, Ah’ve heard Apple Bloom speculate about why you did it, but Ah wanna hear it from you. What in the Maker’s name made you think that bullyin’ them was in any way a good idea, after you’d been bullied yerself back home? And this ain’t a yes or no question.”

The filly meekly raised her head to face her cousin as she asked, “You ever been bullied?” At the mare’s head shake ‘no’, the filly blew her mane out of her eyes. “Count yourself lucky. Back in my school in Manehattan, the bullies are always there, always causin’ trouble, an’ always givin’ me grief over one thing or another. An’ bein’ a blank flank’s the least’a my problems with ‘em. I mean, look at me. I kinda stand out, bein’ big for my age.” She frowned and added, “An’ the worst thing is, it ain’t just the bullies. Everyone else in my class joins in, an’ it’s like no one cares. My teacher back home sure don’t.” She frowned and added, “I came here, and with Apple Bloom bein’ the way she was, I thought I was gettin’ set up for somethin’. Happened to me way too often back home. When Diamond Tiara an’ Silver Spoon showed up an’ started givin’ the Crusaders grief, I thought that was the only chance I had to keep from havin’ it happen all over again.”

Applejack scowled. “So ya took the coward’s way out.” At the filly’s shocked expression, the mare continued, “Don’t try to call it anythin’ else, filly, because that’s exactly what ya did! An’ worse, you were an even bigger bully to them than Diamond Tiara an’ Silver Spoon have ever been! Ah don’t know who Ah’m angrier at, or more disappointed in – you fer pullin’ all those stunts, or me for not seein’ what was goin’ on under mah own eyes! Trashin’ that float?! Houndin’ em all over town?! Kickin’ ‘em outta their own clubhouse?! Makin’ Apple Bloom sleep on the floor?! It ain’t a wonder that they tried that stunt with the booby-trapped float and –!”

Applejack caught herself in time, but Babs could tell where it was going. “An’ would’ve ended up with me gettin’ hurt. Or worse.”

The mare sighed. “Ah don’t think they intended for ya’ll to end up hurt. Or worse. Stuck in the mud, yeah, but definitely not injured.” She shook her head sadly. “Babs, did you enjoy all the trouble you went through back home, with all that bullyin’?”

“No.”

“An’ you think Apple Bloom enjoyed it? Or that she enjoys it when Diamond Tiara gives her trouble? An’ that’s ignorin’ the fact that after all the stunts you’ve done, that filly’s probably gonna think she can get away with that kinda crap too, or worse.”

That realization led to a horror-struck look on Babs’ face as she asked, “Will she? I mean, I didn’t think…”

“No, you didn’t. An’ Ah’d like to see her try an’ pull that kinda stuff, because if’n she did, well…” She gave the filly a half-smile. “Let’s just say you’re lucky Granny Smith’s takin’ her annual trip to Las Pegasus right now. An’ if’n Diamond Tiara had pulled half the stunts you’d pulled, trust me, Granny wouldn’t take it easy on her.”

“And me?”

Applejack turned regretful. “Ah don’t know. As it is, Ah ain’t sure how to take this, beyond anger an’ disappointment. You done hurt yer kin, Babs, an’ Apples stick together. We look out fer each other. That’s probably the big reason why Ah didn’t get bullied as a young’un, because ponies knew that if’n they tried to pull anythin’, they’d get trouble from Granny an’ mah daddy. An’ that’s because Ah ain’t stupid enough to be worried about bein’ a snitch.”

“But…”

“But nuthin’! Problems don’t get solved unless ponies actually address those problems, an’ they don’t get addressed unless they get talked about! Keepin’ silent over a bad thing ain’t gonna help nopony except the ones causin’ the problem, an’ do ya really want them bullies to win?”

“But the teachers wouldn’t do nuthin’ about it!”

“Well then they’re cowards too! Same as everypony else who sat back and did nuthin’ in your class while you were gettin’ bullied! An’ besides, just because one adult won’t do somethin’ don’t mean another adult won’t! What about yer parents, or Aunt and Uncle Orange? Somethin’ tells me those two’d be able to pull some strings to do somethin’ about it.”

“But then…!”

“But nuthin’! Gal, if’n the trouble’s that bad, then doin’ somethin’ to fight back is better than just sittin’ there an’ takin’ it, an’ it’s loads better than what you did to the Crusaders.”

Babs frowned. “You make it sound easy. Ain’t a surprise, considerin’.”

“Considerin’ what, me bein’ a bearer of an Element a’ Harmony? Babs, Ah ain’t ashamed to admit it, but Ah was scared outta mah mind when me an’ my friends went into the Everfree to find those Elements. We didn’t have complete information, an’ there was no guarantee we’d make it through those woods in one piece. Trust me, you grow up in Ponyville, you get a healthy respect for how scary that place can be.” She raised a hoof to the filly’s chin and told her, “But Ah was a lot more scared of what would happen if’n Ah did nuthin’. Celestia gone, a monster rulin’ Equestria in her place, all sorts’a terrors on the horizon. What we got ain’t perfect, but Ah’d rather not see what Equestria would be like under a tyrant. All those stories from Nightmare Night might not be true, but the real deal would’ve been a whole lot worse.” She then lifted Babs’ head up and said, “Real courage ain’t about not bein’ afraid. It’s bein’ afraid, an’ doin’ the right thing anyway.”

Babs frowned, then closed her eyes in shame. “I’m sorry, Applejack. You must hate me for all this.”

“No, but like Ah said, Ah’m mighty disappointed, in you and in me.” She lowered her hoof and admitted, “Tell ya the truth, Ah probably should’ve told Apple Bloom the full story from the start about what was goin’ on and why you were here. Ah didn’t want you to feel singled out over what you were goin’ through back home, but maybe if’n Ah had, we could’ve avoided all’a this.”

“Yeah, but what’s done is done. Ain’t like I can go back an’ change things or somethin’.”

“No, but you can learn from this, make things right.” She stood up and moved to one side, then turned her head towards the barn door. “An’ Ah think we both know where you can start.”

Babs opened her eyes to see the three Crusaders standing at the barn door. With more than a little fear, she stepped forward. “Girls, I’m sorry, for what I did. I know that ain’t enough to make up for all the trouble I gave ya, but I am sorry. And I had that bit with the float comin’.”

The three Crusaders looked among themselves, before Apple Bloom shrugged. “Maybe ya did, but Ah think we both made mistakes today.”

“And we probably did come on a little strong when we met you.” Scootaloo managed a nervous smile at that. “Maybe a lot strong.”

“Still, every pony makes mistakes.” Sweetie Belle smiled hopefully. “And when a pony’s genuinely sorry, and they work to make amends, then you should always give them a chance. Or you could lose something special.”

Babs looked among the three and wondered aloud, “So, you forgive me? Just like that?”

Apple Bloom offered a hoof. “Ah don’t like holdin’ grudges.”

The larger filly smiled, then took her cousin into a tight hug. Apple Bloom smiled back and did likewise, with the other Crusaders following.

Applejack smiled, then stepped forward. “Well, Ah’m glad ya’ll’ve made up, but…” The four turned to her with renewed concern before she continued, “Babs, Ah believe you when you say you’re sorry, but sayin’ that ain’t enough. When you came into town, you were a guest. Now though, you’ve got a debt to pay, and there’s plenty means to do it out here on the farm. Startin’ tomorrow, you’re helpin’ Apple Bloom with her chores. And you’re gonna keep on helpin’ her till yer visit’s done. An’ beyond that, Ah will be writin’ to yer folks about what you’ve done.”

Babs lowered her head. “Should’a seen that comin’.” She raised it again and admitted, “Still, that’s probably gettin’ off light, ain’t it?”

“Accordin’ to some, yeah. But don’t be surprised if’n your folks give you a punishment or two once ya get home, even while they’re dealin’ with the bullyin’ you had to deal with. And trust me, they will.” The mare gently knocked a hoof against her cousin’s leg and assured her, “This family looks after its own. Always.”

-

The remainder of Babs Seed’s stay had been mercifully quiet. While she had something of a learning curve, the filly had gone into every chore and assignment without complaint. Apple Bloom, consequently, had found herself getting her work done just a little faster, and also found herself with a little bit more free time on her hands. And by the end of her stay, Babs had been inducted into the Cutie Mark Crusaders. There’d even been some talk of her starting a branch in Manehattan, much to the others’ delight.

“Don’t know how many ponies’ll wanna be part’a it, but it’s worth a shot.” She smiled sadly. “At least they’ll know they ain’t in it alone.”

“Darn right.” Applejack smiled. “An’ you remember what we talked about, right?”

Babs nodded. “Speakin’ up when you’re gettin’ hurt don’t mean you’re a snitch. It means you’re not lettin’ the bully get away with bein’ a bully. An’ bein’ a bully to others ain’t the way to deal with a bully in the first place.” She frowned. “For all the good it’ll do me.”

Apple Bloom came forward and gave her cousin a hug. “Don’t give up hope, Babs. Things might just work out for ya.”

Before Babs could reply, a scoff sounded from the other side of the platform. “And here I thought you weren’t just another lame blank flank!” Heads turned to find Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon standing nearby, the former looking smug. “Guess I was wrong!”

Sweetie Belle leaned in close to Scootaloo and whispered, “What is it with those two? Do they enjoy being jerks?”

The pegasus filly frowned. “I don’t know, and I don’t wanna know.”

Applejack frowned and stepped forward, but Babs held up a hoof to stop her. The Manehattan native then stood tall and locked her gaze on the two fillies before her. “You wanna see somethin’ lame, try lookin’ in a mirror sometime. Better a blank flank than a bully any day of the week.”

Diamond sneered and turned her head up. “Doesn’t make you Cutie Mark-Less Crusaders any less lame, though.”

“An’ it don’t change how pathetic you two are.” Babs’s gaze held firm as the wealthy filly rounded on her, and she continued, “Someday, the two’a you are gonna see just how much hurt you’ve done to others, and yourselves. Wonder what’ll happen then.” She then stepped forward, her gaze still locked on Diamond Tiara as she inched closer. “I can see it now. You two pick a fight with somepony, bite off more’n you can chew, and then the real trouble starts. You’ll be all alone, no friends an’ no way your money can help ya because no one likes ya.” She stopped just a few inches away from the bullying filly and noted, “Gonna be awful scary when that time comes.”

Diamond tried her best to not look intimidated at the larger mare and blustered, “You think I’m scared of –?”

Babs suddenly jumped forward and shouted “Boo!” and caused the bully to jump back in shock. With a satisfied grin, Babs turned around and made her way back to her fellow Crusaders as the train pulled into the station and she made her goodbyes.

Diamond waited until Babs had boarded the train and it had started on its way, then approached Apple Bloom and said, “If you think for one minute your cousin has scared me off…”

“It ain’t Babs you need to be worryin’ about, little missy.” She looked up to find Applejack scowling at her. “From what Ah’ve been hearin’, you an’ your little hanger-on done came onta mah family’s property without an invite, just to give my little sister and her friends trouble. Ah got problems with that, an’ Ah know a few other ponies who’d have problems with it too.” Her glare intensified as she added, “Like yer daddy.”

Diamond paused at that, then sneered. “As if he’d believe you.”

“It ain’t just me he’ll be hearin’ it from.” Applejack let the threat hang as she turned around and beckoned, “Come on, ya’ll. Plenty left to do today, and it ain’t gettin’ done here.”

Diamond fumed as Applejack and the Crusaders went on their way, then turned and trotted off herself. “Come on, Silver Spoon. We’ve got better things to do than hang around here.” As they gained distance from the train station, she grumbled, “The nerve of that mare. Who does she think she is, talking to me like that?”

“Apple Bloom’s big sister? One of the ponies that stopped Nightmare Moon?”

Diamond restrained a groan at her friend failing to recognize a rhetorical question as she went on her way. The day Babs spoke of would never come – she was a diamond, and diamonds didn’t break.

Author's Note:

This vignette is adapted from the original episode from Cindy Morrow, and I admit draws a little from the story Consequences - A Bad Apple Comedy of Justice by author Stainless Steel Fox. If he's got an issue, I apologize immensely.

One Bad Apple sits among the more controversial episodes in the fandom, particularly among those of us who were bullied in the past. As anyone can tell you, while going to an adult is something you should do about being bullied, it isn't the magical solution to the problem. Bullying, alas, happens for a number of reasons, and a number of authority figures fail to grasp why. There's a tiny part of me that wants to give Cindy Morrow the benefit of the doubt and say that someone higher up the food chain from her did something to this script along the lines of what they did to M. A. Larsen with Magical Mystery Cure and later (more infamously) Fame and Misfortune, but that's just speculation on my part. In any case, I think I've addressed at least a few issues here.